***Official UTMB-Galveston Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to let you SDN people know, I will be at the rest of the interview date student panels. I will look at my schedule and see about maybe having an unofficial campus tour date as well sometime in December. I will keep you posted. Again, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I definitely will be happy to answer anything after Friday morning cause I'll be done with GAR!

Sweet gig. G'luck tomorrow everyone, and if you don't need it, send me yours...

where is the best place to start looking for housing?
I am interested in houses too - what areas are the best?

Haha, well Ike kinda rearranged the furniture, but here's some general thoughts from before the storm. There are/were dorms, frats (a couple are coed I think...great deals financially), and UTMB apts... The most popular apt sections are over by Walmart (W of 61st area, generally nicer, more $$), and E of school, within walking distance...lots of complexes in that area....Villa Marina, Casa Caribe, Carleton Courtyard, Tradewinds, Chateau Lafitte, Ebbtide, etc. Also popular are the condos near the marina...Port Aux Prince and Marina Point (Harbor East condos on Ferry Rd look like Crap, IMO). Some of the large Victorian houses near school have also been converted into apt units, as have some of the old buildings downtwon (where I live).

Some live in houses off-island in the League City area (nice suburban area, especially popular with married couples it seems). People also bought houses in the Fish Village area just NE of campus (streets with fish names). The West End has probably the nicest houses if $$ isn't an issue, but they also took the brunt of the storm...one of my friends went on LOA because his house in Jamaica Beach got pummeled.

You can look at last year's fb group and class thread here as a start...see how things worked out for us. They'll also be a couple of realtor recommendations that students trusted, and given the situation it might be the best idea to have one of them guide you and show you around. Using google satellite and zooming in for real pics was helpful to me to get an idea of what an area looked like.

I'm sure the other students above will have some good info to add as well...for a small town Galvy has a lot of options for shelter. Just remember that's its evolving...alot of students are living temporarily in the A&M dorms on Pelican Island, and some apts are down and out right now...Villa Marina (my old apt) booted everyone on the Ferry Rd side from what I hear because it flooded so bad. I'm sure things will mostly be back to normal in time for the new crop of renters though.

http://www.ihomephoto.com/utmbhousing.com/lease.htm

Cute pooch, btw

-Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris! I really appreciate all of the help and advice. I'll probably be coming down mid- January to start looking.

yes, she is cute - her name is Lily, and unfortunately I can't take her to Galveston with me :(

- abbi

All of the places Chris mentioned are very popular. I in particular live at Theta Kappa Psi medical fraternity. This fraternity is males only. I actually found out about TKY through SDN. I never thought I would join a fraternity, but the gig is just way to hard to pass up. So, if you have any questions about fraternity living feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending the reception in Dallas. I hope to meet some of ya'll there!

Also, I would love to go visit the campus over winter break if anyone is going! Let me know.

I will be at the Dallas reception too.

Did anyone recieve a packet from UTMB yet?

current UTMB students -

I will be visiting the campus mid january and really want to be able to see the facilities and the campus. I know they aren't doing campus tours until march/april, but is there any student led "unofficial" tours? or would a student be willing to do that? I just want to see the facilities, where y'all study, etc.

Thanks guys! :)

current UTMB students -

I will be visiting the campus mid january and really want to be able to see the facilities and the campus. I know they aren't doing campus tours until march/april, but is there any student led "unofficial" tours? or would a student be willing to do that? I just want to see the facilities, where y'all study, etc.

Thanks guys! :)

I'm more than willing to show you around, and I'm sure others are too. :)

All campus tours begin with red carpet and end with Landsharks...

---Section 4, Paragraph C, UTMB Student Handbook

My mom and dad drove down to Galveston to check everything out... They took a decent amount of pictures, pm me with your e-mail if you want me to send them to you.

I will be at the Dallas reception too.

Did anyone recieve a packet from UTMB yet?

I had the same question. I called them on Friday, and they said they were a little behind and that all of the packets will be sent out on Tues 11/25.

I had the same question. I called them on Friday, and they said they were a little behind and that all of the packets will be sent out on Tues 11/25.

Ugh that is the suck... I was really hoping to just pick it up while I was home this week for Thanksgiving (I have all my med school stuff sent there because I don't trust my campus mail).

Thank you. I guess we have to send the letters out as soon as they arrive

I called UTMB today to ask them about if we need to send them something saying that we confirm our acceptance or not...They said they will be sending the acceptance packets out tomorrow and that will have that information enclosed.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is getting annoying - everytime i tell someone that i got accepted to medical school in Galveston they always look shocked and ask, "Oh? Is it still there?"

..YES - It is still there! urg.

anyone else have this problem?

this is getting annoying - everytime i tell someone that i got accepted to medical school in Galveston they always look shocked and ask, "Oh? Is it still there?"

Same here. I guess its mainly due to the fact that the school got bad coverage by the media after the huricane.

hello everyone- i have been following these forums pretty closely throughout the app process. i finally caved in and decided to register (mainly- i was holding off bc i worried about becoming an addicted poster lol).
anyway- i got that reaction from a couple people as well which was disappointing.
i have tried to talk to current students i know at utmb about the ike situation and i have gotten mixed responses- anywhere from it will be FINE when you get here ....to.. there's uncertainty.. to.... despair. the problem is- i really really like this school and think i'll be a great fit. with that said, i am still worried about the mixed responses. my parents think that i am just being a "worrier" and finding something to worry about.

what is everyone else thinking?

hello everyone- i have been following these forums pretty closely throughout the app process. i finally caved in and decided to register (mainly- i was holding off bc i worried about becoming an addicted poster lol).
anyway- i got that reaction from a couple people as well which was disappointing.
i have tried to talk to current students i know at utmb about the ike situation and i have gotten mixed responses- anywhere from it will be FINE when you get here ....to.. there's uncertainty.. to.... despair. the problem is- i really really like this school and think i'll be a great fit. with that said, i am still worried about the mixed responses. my parents think that i am just being a "worrier" and finding something to worry about.

I'm completely convinced it will be fine by the fall. 9 months is a LOT of time for things to change. The clinical system may change somewhat, but a lot of people were already going to Austin for MS3/4; almost everything about the first two years should be the same, from what I understand, which will get you the STEP 1 score Galveston's known for.

Now you're screwed and will never be able to get out of the black hole that is SDN!!! AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Seriously, I think UTMB will be fine.

I absolutely agree- I think it will be fine too.

What has encouraged me most of all is hearing the deans of UTMB speak at the interview day, especially Dr. Lauree Thomas. She was very motivating, uplifting and said that they were going to pick up where they left off and move on. They aren't going to let the hurricane get in the way of their goals and future. I trust her, so I am pretty optimistic about everything. The only thing I am a bit iffy on is the housing situations, but I am not worried about it too much either.

Hey guys, I just wanted to weigh in again. I have been pretty active in the post-Ike process. I serve as the president of my class and as a senator in the university senate and have been briefed in a few meetings. Our next meeting is next Tuesday. Feel free to ask me any questions and if I can't answer it, I will bring it up at the next meeting. In short, my perception is that UTMB will be back on its feet sufficiently enough so that your education will NOT negatively be affected. Like someone has mentioned 3rd and 4th year rotations will be more spread out (not bulked in John Sealy anymore) which I actually think is a good thing. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Hi everyone. I'm a 2nd year at UTMB.
I'm a pessimist at heart...so I don't want to dishearten any of you. So, just take my comments with whatever grain of salt you need to. But, I have to say, I'm very, very concerned about where UTMB is headed. I've printed out transfer papers, but I have by no means decided if I'll actually attempt to transfer. It would make me sad to leave this place. I'm just worried about my education here--I think they'll have to semi-recover (even if it looks different) eventually. My issue is that my class is the "clinical guinea pig class" now---they have to figure out what to do with us for 3rd and 4th year, and whatever tracks they come up with will be very different than what they've done before. I don't really like being a guinea pig. I'm going to talk to some neutral-party mentors, who don't have a vested interest in whether I stay/go, and see what their thoughts are.
I love(d) UTMB. Seriously. It's a great school. The people are simply unbelievable. Yeah, you get your weird students, and professors, but mostly people are at least professional, and usually really nice to be around--friendly, helpful--I LOVE that about here. I think it's a bit rare in big institutions. I think I've only had 1 Dr.-House-style attending (and he is classic, stereotypical House-like)...but, that's still pretty good, I'd say. I honestly think it has been the best kept secret in medical education. I chose UTMB over many other Texas schools. (As an aside, I actually chose it FOR the PBL, and board scores, and the niceness of folks, and especially the global health program. PBL teaches you to think/process things like a physician--if you've ever been to a med conference and listened to Continuing Med Ed classes, and also morning rounds, etc--they present things in the same way as in PBL. It teaches you kind of the language and nuances of how cases are presented and hopefully has you go thru it in a medically logical way. Yeah, it can be irritating. I have never had an MD (only PhDs) as facilitators. Sometimes your classmates interrupt each other, or try to one-up each other. That's life though. Since the goal is to be professional (and you're graded on that as well), it doesn't help to talk over someone anyway. And, they never usually grade you below the "expected" amount (which is a 4 out of 5)--everyone get's fours, and sometimes fives, but I've never ever gotten a 3. Kind of a participation grade.
Anyway, regarding the school...I think what's got me the most hung up right now is this: the layoffs. They've fired some of the best teachers we've had: one of the anatomy course directors, the neuro course director, and I believe the course director for pulm and cardiovascular. They've also fired (so I've heard) the secretary for global health--who essentially runs the entire program. I hope they rehire her or something. That program would probably be in trouble with out her. Scary. They've fired some of the hands down best prof/attendings/teachers we have, (in addition to those that I just mentioned). I know during any mass layoff morale is low, but it's tough to see where this is all going to end up. The fact that we just lost/are losing Level one trauma status at John Sealy is upsetting too--right after being classified as one of the best in the country--although admittedly losing the Level 1 status likely wouldn't have too much of a bearing on us training as students.
Part of my issue is that I deliberately chose a school where I would not have to have a heck of a lot of driving/forced split campus (unless I chose Austin), and when they say "greater Galveston Area"--that really means a LOT of driving, to tiny little clinics and other hospitals. (Think of how silly the term "greater Galveston area is"--does that mean up to south Houston, all the way out to the tiny little bitty cities way, way off of 45? Not cool to commute to Beaumont for training. At the very least, it'll mean a lot of separation from my husband, even if they provide housing at the farther away places. Not cool at all. My idea of fun is not working 12 hours, and having an hour an a half one way commute. At the very least I guess it means I'll be moving to the mainland next year.
That said, for the incoming class...UTMB is a lovely place. If they can pull thru this, I'll be so happy.
As far as housing, it's a bit scarce now, but hopefully will be much better by the time you all are looking. Getting better all the time. Flooded places are repairing, and it's improving. Just make sure you ask some mighty careful questions about WHAT repairs they did regarding mold after the storm. (I've run into issues with that with our housing....) If they've done what they're supposed to do (taken out drywall, taken out cabinets, scrubbed things, aired it out, you should be golden). You might try craigslist (Galveston and Houston both--just search for Galveston if you look on the Houston site). Some parts of the city still look ghostly, but hopefully you'll have more options by the time you get here with housing. Usually they have some cute stuff. I would not call things back to normal yet at ALL as far as shops/restaurants, etc. Will be sometime, though.

I HOPE UTMB will recover. Seriously...if they can--you'll wish you had come here!! If they don't...well....I guess we'll all question why we came here! But, I hope they do recover. Even if I transfer, I'll always feel like it was "my" med school. It is a wonderful place. Plus...Ike threw all the pollution gunk onto the island, so the sea is much bluer now! =)

Global, take a deep breath. They're having a special meeting for c/o 2011/2012 next Tues put on by the big wigs...I'm sure you'll have a better idea of how they see things playing out the best they can at the moment (I'll certainly report what they say here for the MS0's and those still deciding. The layoffs hurt, of course, especially losing Dr Collins (as I understand it)...though I think the faculty may stay for awhile actually, can't remember the details but I thought they stay till the end of the school year...might be wrong there.

As far as clinicals...you're going to be under UTMB faculty wherever you rotate. I think the "guinea pig" aspect is a little overdone. They're not going to send you to Beaumont, for goodness sake. Now its true they have some connections with St Jo's in Htown, and maybe Mainland Medical or Clear Lake Regional might be on the menu, but we don't know how much of our education would be taking place off-island yet. I too liked UTMB because I could just walk to John Sealy...awesome, and we'll still be doing rotations there. Truth is we just don't know how fast and far it will return to its old self... They just reopened it Mon. Its going to come down to money/demand....how fast the population of the Galveston area returns/grows, and outside of the FEMA disaster funds, how the state and local community finally decide to finance it in an operationally sustainable way (the big question really) going forward. Will they create some sort of tax district? If so, Austin might be more amiable to helping UTMB. Are they still going to build that 110k sqft specialty center in League City? I think most of those questions will well be on their way to being answered in the next few months...long before your clinicals start, and will certainly be old news by the time the youngsters in this thread get there.

Glass half full or half empty? This may open new opportunites, maybe not. It's possibly a period of transition...exciting and frustrating all at once. I too chose UTMB over other Tx schools...UTH, UTSW, and TCOM in my case, and I'm absolutely sure I chose the right one for me.

Tear up those freakin' transfer papers...you're a UTMB student dammit....we don't tuck our tails because of a little wind and rain....puhlease:).

FYI, if you need any help getting back on your feet after Ike, just PM me... I might know you since I was a 2011'er...went on a personal LOA shortly into MCT. Take care/God bless, and Happy TG!

Last edited:
Anyway, regarding the school...I think what's got me the most hung up right now is this: the layoffs. They've fired some of the best teachers we've had: one of the anatomy course directors, the neuro course director, and I believe the course director for pulm and cardiovascular.
This is the part that has me most concerned. I thought I heard that they were going to put more focus towards the medical school and research? And even if they do have to lay off a couple of the teaching professors, why would they lay off the best ones?

This is the part that has me most concerned. I thought I heard that they were going to put more focus towards the medical school and research? And even if they do have to lay off a couple of the teaching professors, why would they lay off the best ones?

As much as I'm saddened to see Dr. Collins, Dr. Blankenship, and Dr. Brodwick go, I understand that they were all pretty much on their way out. If it wasn't now, they would be retiring here in a year or few anyway. Instead of delaying their retirement, they decided instead to step down to avoid complications. Loss and gain of great faculty is inevitable in all universities. It is a legitimate concern and it is something all of us current students are eager to learn more about. I'll do my best to keep the incoming class informed.

Best
http://www.utmb.edu/ncb/Faculty/BlankenshipJames.html

I disagree...if you actually look at the faculty list released to media, they let go MANY folks that have many more years of teaching left in them! One of my mentor-couples is a faculty-internal med, married to a senior optho resident. The optho resident told me that many of the junior optho residents are asking if they should reapply elsewhere, and she is very upset about the specific faculty that they chose to fire from her department--in her opinion, some of the best teachers.
What about Dr. Viegas (hands down, best known orthopedic surgeon on staff, with most publications by far--best known around the country, I mean--I know this because prior to med school, I worked in ortho research), Dr. Kearney (another ortho hand surgeon--so that's 2 out of 3 they had here), Dr. Garvin Davis (who I believe was trained at Harvard and Hopkins, and an excellent optho professor--great teacher--LOVED students). One of my classmates lost his practice of medicine small group facilitator--he was only 2 years out of residency. Those guys are absolutely not near retirement, if we're honest. Losing them is a problem for me.
Yes, they asked some to take early retirement, but they would've been here if they hadn't been asked to leave---for several more years. There would've been a transition between course directors, instead of an abrupt cut off. I feel sorry for the 1st years and next years' first years. My class once had a professor where I believe it was his first time being a course director, and things were a bit rough, as far as keeping things going in a smooth fashion, etc. Now, they have to find people to actually WANT to be course directors, etc. It's a lot of work, and they have to sit in on every class...good luck.
Additionally, they fired the director of Student Life and the director of Financial Aid (both of whom were REALLY good at their jobs). They have a dean covering the director of Student Life (!)
Additionally--and I can only say this based on the 1.5 years of med school I've had so far, but they fired SEVERAL of the folks that lectured us in various classes, or at least that my class had. So, then they'll have to locate other people to lecture, if they can. Or, they'll have to have folks lecturing who aren't experts. Fun, fun.
Yeah...the meeting on Tuesday? Conveniently scheduled RIGHT before our gastrointestinal finals that afternoon. So much for lunch. Almost like they don't want 2nd years to show up or something--or that they just don't know when tests are--ironic considering that it's partly a curriculum committee meeting! Several of us objected, and they said they'd try to set up another one for 2nd years, but that Dr. Anderson wouldn't be able to show up. Great.
Anyway, I need to go glance over some things for my other final today. Blessings to all. I hope our lovely institution pulls out of this!

wow. it seems like a battle of the glass half full vs. the glass half empty.

i'm not really sure who to believe here. i have no way of determining who has a more 'objective' view on the situation based on just these posts. my own gut says that a 100+ yr old, reputable institution is not just going to crumble one day because of a hurricane and consequent problems. my own gut says that by the time my class gets there, we will be 1 yr removed from the hurricane and things will settle down. my own gut says, that if i really, really like this school above all others, i should still go here.

with that said, to the current students going to this meeting, could you maybe find answers to:
- will the buildings, specifically old red, be available once the class of 2013 arrives?
- how dramatic are the faculty layoffs? will this upset the flow of class?
- what are the REAL problems my class will face? (because we cannot deny that there will be SOME problems)
- i am really interested in the global health track- how will this be affected?
if i am convinced that there will be no interruption to my day-to-day education during my first 2 yrs, then i am ok. by the time class of 2013 is ready to do clinicals, we will be 3 yrs removed from ike. 3 yrs is a long time people- 3 years ago i was taking ochem, and that was a LONG time ago.
so, if any of you current students attending this meeting- specifically the class president who said you'll be there- could bring back any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

I will agree with Global in that UTMB says they are all about students but when it acutally comes time to have to move something around to help the most students, they backtrack and dont do much of anything. I have alot of issues with UTMB's communcation to students.

wow. it seems like a battle of the glass half full vs. the glass half empty.

i'm not really sure who to believe here. i have no way of determining who has a more 'objective' view on the situation based on just these posts. my own gut says that a 100+ yr old, reputable institution is not just going to crumble one day because of a hurricane and consequent problems. my own gut says that by the time my class gets there, we will be 1 yr removed from the hurricane and things will settle down. my own gut says, that if i really, really like this school above all others, i should still go here.

with that said, to the current students going to this meeting, could you maybe find answers to:
- will the buildings, specifically old red, be available once the class of 2013 arrives?
- how dramatic are the faculty layoffs? will this upset the flow of class?
- what are the REAL problems my class will face? (because we cannot deny that there will be SOME problems)
- i am really interested in the global health track- how will this be affected?
if i am convinced that there will be no interruption to my day-to-day education during my first 2 yrs, then i am ok. by the time class of 2013 is ready to do clinicals, we will be 3 yrs removed from ike. 3 yrs is a long time people- 3 years ago i was taking ochem, and that was a LONG time ago.
so, if any of you current students attending this meeting- specifically the class president who said you'll be there- could bring back any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, that's what you get when a lot is unknown, different opinions...and that's good. I'd take all of our posts, put 'em in a blender, and drink it that way to hedge your bets at this point.

-As far as buildings...we use the lecture hall now...it's elevated. The pbl rooms on the first floors of Graves/Mary Moody North have been torn out. I think its safe to assume they'll be ready for you guys...probably be nicer too, but even if they weren't you won't really care where you have it....I have mine in a histo lab, and frankly I prefer it to the old rooms. Don't know if Old Red will be back online at the start of the school year or not. The library resumes normal hours today. Don't know if Starbucks is coming back:(.

-I think your second question is the one that will be beat on tomorrow, so stay tuned. The local paper says there were 127 profs, assoc profs, and researchers let go...here's the list http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=f56d128dd519388a

-Don't know about the global health rack. Quite honestly, the first two years of school are about the last thing I'd be worried about, as 99% of your time during them is you sitting anywhere and reading books.

UTMBMD2012 is class prez, and as such he's in on meetings that I'm not. I'm sure he'll give as much info as he can...good, bad, or ugly. Hopefully Global can make the Tues meeting (g'luck on the final), so we can share a full range of impressions with you guys.

-Chris

thanks for your insight kudu!

no starbucks? sad day. its ok ill prob just save me money to not have it there anyway... lol

so no old red means no anatomy lab. what happens to anatomy lab?

Well, it's "glass half empty" girl on again....;)

I believe Dr. Mancuso (academic affairs) said something in conversation about it being 3 years before Old Red will reopen. Hard to believe, I know. Something to do about it being a historic building, and having to work with all of the historical foundation folks, and the fact that there was some serious damage to the bottom (8 ft of flooding).

I just re-looked at the list of folks they laid off, and there are even more lecturers than I'd noticed before. They also laid off my current lab facilitator (pathology), and one of my PBL facilitators from first year. Whew

Anyway. Have a good evening, guys. I need to go study some more for tomorrow's test. The informative meeting tomorrow is supposed to (based on what Dr. Asimakis said) not really be THAT informative, as far as changing our lives. It's more "we're still here-here is where our offices are now-here we are" stuff. So, I think I will not go, and will go to the one on December 11th that's set up for 2nd years--supposed to be identical. I don't want to go to a meeting like that right before an exam. Messes with my "zen" (haha...not really, but it does mess with my focus/order before an exam...) But, I'm sure 2012ers can help us with what is actually said tomorrow, and that will be good.
So, I am negative, I guess...but at least I'm listening to Christmas music while studying. I'm a NICE kind of negative...:D

Alright, so I'll give what I can remember and I'm sure others will either correct or add.

-They do not plan to reduce the size of future med school classes, ie it should stay about 230
-They expect the new specialty center in League City to open in just over a year (Jan/Feb 2010).
-St Joeseph's and Clear Lake Regional were both mentioned as possible partners for clinicals, though it was mentioned that if so they might let it be offered on a voluntary status like the Austin program, since some students already live near that area.
-They will pare the residency programs down more than likely for at least the next cycle, and go from there.
-The hope to have the trauma center up within 6-12months...didn't mentioned if it would be a level 1.
-They had about 850 faculty, and around 127 were let go. They don't believe any more cuts will be necessary. They spun the course directors exits as nothing they haven't dealt with before, as those positions can often have a high turnover, and didn't seemed too worried becuase the courses have fairly large committees from which to draw those positions and organize the courses. The faculty laid off will be here for at least 6 months or the end of the academic year, iirc.
-The way they talked about John Sealy it seemed they expect it to grow from beyond the original 200 beds it reopened with over the next several months. Dr Anderson gave an estimate of what patient volume they anticapted relatively soon as a % of the previous numbers but I can't remember that (someone help me).
-I talked to my 4th year friend afterwards and she told me she thought the kind of patients at those other hospitals would basically be similar except for the inmate angle that the island has.
-I believe they mentioned that the old pbl rooms would be ready in the April time frame. All they said about Old Red was that it would be a "long time" and mentioned the type of foundation used back then as a main reason. They've already hired someone to tae a look at it.
-They estimated they'll get about $300 mil from FEMA??, didn't say how or when that's disbursed. They also expect money from Tx and the UT system.

I'll try to se if anything else jogs my memory.....

Last edited:
Just got an email fom the Vice Dean of Academic Affairs. It was a response to a student whohad emailed him questions after the meeting today....

Thanks for your questions. I am copying your classmates so that all can read the responses.

-do you personally believe that the level of education and clinical experience will still be the same prior to all these cuts?
In short, absolutely yes. We are extremely proud of the educational program we've created for our students and there are no plans to cut back on educational effort or quality. We will continue to teach years 1-2 the way we have for the past 10 years: small groups supplemented by lectures, labs, and other experiences including early clinical exposure and lots of work with standardized patients. The clinical experiences in years 3-4 will be different, for sure, but will not be reduced. These experiences will occur in UTMB facilities on campus and at hospitals and clinics on the mainland where UTMB faculty and residents will provide education for our students just as if they were here on the island.

- Knowing that over 100 faculty have been laid off and the same number of medical students will be accepted next year, how will that effect the student: teacher ratio?
We have no plans to change the amount of small group teaching or the size of the groups, so the student:teacher ratio that students experience will not change. Certainly if you divide the unchanging number of students by the decreased number of faculty, the ratio will change, BUT it's important to keep in mind that at medical schools, faculty are involved in many activities that don't directly involve students, so the impact of lower faculty numbers has far less effect on students than in other educational settings. It's worth noting that our faculty counts during this decade have fluctuated year-to-year by as many as +115 (from 2004-2005) and down by as many as 115 (from 2000-2001). The average annual change (ignoring direction) is 61.6. In the recent layoffs, 127 faculty members were affected--more than in previous years but not too far outside the previous range.

- Finally, what is your advise to first and second year students, who already began considering to transfer to other institutions due to all the cuts and layoffs at UTMB, acknowledging the fact that even more experienced faculty will choose to leave on their own to more stable institutions avoiding the uncertainties about UTMB?

The idea of moving to another institution is a natural and understandable reaction to circumstances such as ours--among both students and faculty. For both groups, we hope that as each considers his/her options, preferences, career goals, etc that the positives that attracted you to UTMB will also hold sway as you consider your future. As for 'stability' the only certainty is that uncertainties abound in academic medical centers, especially when economies, state budgets, and private endowments shrink. The commitment that Dr. Anderson has shown to continuing our educational efforts at the same high level despite the hurricane has been very reassuring to all of us involved in your education.

Thanks for coming to the forum today. Let me know if you have more questions.

sal

1st off, thanks Kudu!!! 2nd, what exactly is the specialty building in League City going to function as and what part of LC is it in (mind giving me street names)?

Thanks!

1st off, thanks Kudu!!! 2nd, what exactly is the specialty building in League City going to function as and what part of LC is it in (mind giving me street names)?

Thanks!

Seems like I've read like 3 billion articles about it, but here's the gist....if I find something bettter while perusing old emails I'll let you know. Its at 646 and I45. They also bought 29 more acres adjacent to this lot after this article was written.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2008/05/26/story8.html

Oh. and TXMD92, didn't hear anyone ask about the global health tract. I went ahead and emailed one of the coordinators for it.

Thanks Kudu for passing on that information to us. I'm glad to hear they are optimistic about the medical education.

Alright, so I'll give what I can remember and I'm sure others will either correct or add.

-They do not plan to reduce the size of future med school classes, ie it should stay about 230
-They expect the new specialty center in League City to open in just over a year (Jan/Feb 2010).
-St Joeseph's and Clear Lake Regional were both mentioned as possible partners for clinicals, though it was mentioned that if so they might let it be offered on a voluntary status like the Austin program, since some students already live near that area.
-They will pare the residency programs down more than likely for at least the next cycle, and go from there.
-The hope to have the trauma center up within 6-12months...didn't mentioned if it would be a level 1.
-They had about 850 faculty, and around 127 were let go. They don't believe any more cuts will be necessary. They spun the course directors exits as nothing they haven't dealt with before, as those positions can often have a high turnover, and didn't seemed too worried becuase the courses have fairly large committees from which to draw those positions and organize the courses. The faculty laid off will be here for at least 6 months or the end of the academic year, iirc.
-The way they talked about John Sealy it seemed they expect it to grow from beyond the original 200 beds it reopened with over the next several months. Dr Anderson gave an estimate of what patient volume they anticapted relatively soon as a % of the previous numbers but I can't remember that (someone help me).
-I talked to my 4th year friend afterwards and she told me she thought the kind of patients at those other hospitals would basically be similar except for the inmate angle that the island has.
-I believe they mentioned that the old pbl rooms would be ready in the April time frame. All they said about Old Red was that it would be a "long time" and mentioned the type of foundation used back then as a main reason. They've already hired someone to tae a look at it.
-They estimated they'll get about $300 mil from FEMA??, didn't say how or when that's disbursed. They also expect money from Tx and the UT system.

I'll try to se if anything else jogs my memory.....

Hey Chris, great summary. To add a bit: 1) The Trauma Center like chris said will be up according to Dr. Anderson within 6-12 mo, the level 1 status was something the person asking the question tied in at the end, and I think Dr. Anderson said yes to level 1. I think the real thing to get from it though, is that if not in 6-12mo for level one, soon after. 2) The % of beds was 75-80%, the number he said was around 350 beds. This is in addition to the beds at St. Joseph's (which will have surgery, anesthesia, psychiatry, and 1 other thing I can't remember). 3) Dr. Asimakis told me a couple months ago that the wings of old red got shifted to the point where they are separated a bit from the main structure. This is gonna take some time to fix, we're talking several years. Dr. Anderson did say there will be anatomy lab, location will most likely be a temporary one this upcoming year, before they have a more perminant one.

I think that about sums it up. Once again, thanks chris, good summary.

thank you guys so, so much for reporting back to us so quickly!!!!! this is good info to know.

and kudu- thanks for checking on the global health track :)

well, i am feeling a lot better about this whole thing.

i have to say- the nostalgic part of me is sad that we wont be able to use old red- since it has such historical significance....but such is life....

i am just really curious where the temporary anatomy lab will be... i mean i am presuming that i will spend a lot of time in anatomy lab during the first couple of months....

also, do you current students think that other faculty are going to voluntarily leave or are they optimistic that all will work out?

thank you guys so, so much for reporting back to us so quickly!!!!! this is good info to know.

and kudu- thanks for checking on the global health track :)

well, i am feeling a lot better about this whole thing.

i have to say- the nostalgic part of me is sad that we wont be able to use old red- since it has such historical significance....but such is life....

i am just really curious where the temporary anatomy lab will be... i mean i am presuming that i will spend a lot of time in anatomy lab during the first couple of months....

also, do you current students think that other faculty are going to voluntarily leave or are they optimistic that all will work out?

I can verify that the Global Health Track is fine. I talked to Dr. Rohen about it after the meeting. The anatomy lab experience will be 8 weeks concurrent with the first course GAR. Its still up in the air as to where it will be, but it definitely will be there. I am confident that the faculty that didn't get cut will stay. In fact, a lot of the faculty that did get cut have decided to continue teaching through the end of what they have signed up for (even though they don't have to). Of course, the normal rate of faculty turnover will continue, but will not be much different than pre-Ike.

i just wanted to thank the current students, namely kudu and utmbmd2012, who have been so responsive to all my inquiries. you've definitely helped calm some of my fears.

i have a feeling that if utmb-the whole institution- was in a different city- i.e. austin or another large tx city, it would be more people's #1 choice. i think the fact that its in galveston- even BEFORE ike- taints its overall impression...... unfortunately.........

i will say that i am a city-lover- and the only thing i was concerned about after visiting utmb in august was that it was in galveston. but, i've recently become annoyed with life in a large, tx city- after a while the ridiculous traffic and bars filled with tools become too much.........i can honestly say i almost look forward to a 'simpler' life ....

granted- there are elements of city life i crave- but thats why houston is a reasonable drive away

ok this thread has had over 2,000 views......... why do i feel like one of 3 future students that is actually planning on attending? surely, theres more of you out there- please post so i dont feel like the lonely future student.

ok this thread has had over 2,000 views......... why do i feel like one of 3 future students that is actually planning on attending? surely, theres more of you out there- please post so i dont feel like the lonely future student.

Sorry I'm one of the lurkers :oops:
I love UTMB and it's definately been my first or second choice from the beginning. I'm a little turned off by living in Galveston (I'm from Houston and would also like to downsize cities but I don't know about G-town-size) so I keep rotating my match list between UTMB and SA. That's probably my only qualm about attending. Glad I still have time to find out plenty about both.

Ya I am a lurker too:D. I'm from Houston but love the gulf coast so its a really hard decision for me between utmb and uth. I'm going to visit utmb sometime over christmas break to get a look at the campus.

i just wanted to thank the current students, namely kudu and utmbmd2012, who have been so responsive to all my inquiries. you've definitely helped calm some of my fears.

i have a feeling that if utmb-the whole institution- was in a different city- i.e. austin or another large tx city, it would be more people's #1 choice. i think the fact that its in galveston- even BEFORE ike- taints its overall impression...... unfortunately.........

i will say that i am a city-lover- and the only thing i was concerned about after visiting utmb in august was that it was in galveston. but, i've recently become annoyed with life in a large, tx city- after a while the ridiculous traffic and bars filled with tools become too much.........i can honestly say i almost look forward to a 'simpler' life ....

granted- there are elements of city life i crave- but thats why houston is a reasonable drive away

That's called growing up haha;). And you're right, for many UTMB's location is a drawback. Some think its quaint, some think its ghetto. Just depends on one's perspective. I knew I couldn't live in Dallas or Houston...I'd have to kill someone in traffic. But it is nice to know Htown isn't far for those occasions you need to get your city fix. Of course, you can always live off-island anyway...the commute isn't bad at all from say League City/Clear Lake area.

UTMBMD2012 beat me to it, but here's the email I got back from one of the track's coordinators a few mintues ago:

Hi Chris,
We are working hard to keep the program going. There is a lot of institutional support at least verbal support. However, there are some obstacles. Overall, my impression is that we still will be successful in moving with the track.
Thanks
Clinton White

The President of UTMB is having a campus townhall meeting tomorrow afternoon about the future of UTMB. More juiciness haha.

Sorry I'm one of the lurkers :oops:
I love UTMB and it's definately been my first or second choice from the beginning. I'm a little turned off by living in Galveston (I'm from Houston and would also like to downsize cities but I don't know about G-town-size) so I keep rotating my match list between UTMB and SA. That's probably my only qualm about attending. Glad I still have time to find out plenty about both.

Blankette, did you get a chance to see the links I posted about the Austin program? I think it got buried pretty quick with college football talk so I wanted to make sure you got those. I think they're pretty insightful.

So who all is visiting over Christmas break? I plan on it.

I'm coming! Also, I am visiting over Christmas break in January. I will also be at the Austin reception next week - anyone else?

I'm coming! Also, I am visiting over Christmas break in January. I will also be at the Austin reception next week - anyone else?

Yay! I'll be there next Tuesday as well.

Just to let you SDN people know, I will be at the rest of the interview date student panels. I will look at my schedule and see about maybe having an unofficial campus tour date as well sometime in December. I will keep you posted. Again, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I definitely will be happy to answer anything after Friday morning cause I'll be done with GAR!

Just an update, I was at the last interview date and will be at the next 3. Also, since there seems to be a lot of people wanting to come down to Galveston during the break, I will be giving an unofficial tour of the campus on December 20th at 1:00pm, I will also be available to answer any questions. If you would like to be a part of it please let me know by sending a me a PM.