Official: Univ of Cincinnati, MS Physiology (SMP) - Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys -

In case I get rejected by Penn State (currently on post-interview hold), I'm applying to Georgetown's SMP and Cincinnati.

I'm a little late in the game with Cincinnati, though - I'll just be getting my application in tomorrow. Anyone heard any rumor about the class filling up already?

A couple quick questions for those of you who've already applied: Where it asks you to list research experiences, did you guys write prose or a bullet-style list? And roughly how long were your personal statements? I don't suppose they let you just substitute the AMCAS as Georgetown does? Thanks for the help, and good luck to everyone!

p.s. My stats are 3.1 GPA (from an Ivy, for what it's worth), 34R MCAT. Lots of research (but no pubs).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys -

In case I get rejected by Penn State (currently on post-interview hold), I'm applying to Georgetown's SMP and Cincinnati.

I'm a little late in the game with Cincinnati, though - I'll just be getting my application in tomorrow. Anyone heard any rumor about the class filling up already?

A couple quick questions for those of you who've already applied: Where it asks you to list research experiences, did you guys write prose or a bullet-style list? And roughly how long were your personal statements? I don't suppose they let you just substitute the AMCAS as Georgetown does? Thanks for the help, and good luck to everyone!

p.s. My stats are 3.1 GPA (from an Ivy, for what it's worth), 34R MCAT. Lots of research (but no pubs).

I haven't heard anything about how full their class is.

For the research question, I wrote a short paragraph for each type of research I've done (basic science and clinical).

For my personal statement, I wrote about half a page (completely different from my AMCAS) about why I wanted to attend their SMP.

BTW, your stats/background is pretty similar to mine, so I think you shoud have a great chance. Good luck!

Hey guys -

Id' say you have a good shot. That MCAT is great. On paper, you'd probably be the type of applicant they are looking for. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help and encouragement, guys - I'll let you know how it goes!

So, I think I'm starting to lean towards Cinci over BU now. Finishing in 1 year, cheaper tuition and living expenses, smaller class size, and maintaing OH residency all add up to a solid choice. Both schools are still really good, so it's not like I'm sacrificing a rigorous curriculum by going to Cinci over BU.

Anyone know a good area/building to live in? Do most people walk or drive to class?

So, I think I'm starting to lean towards Cinci over BU now. Finishing in 1 year, cheaper tuition and living expenses, smaller class size, and maintaing OH residency all add up to a solid choice. Both schools are still really good, so it's not like I'm sacrificing a rigorous curriculum by going to Cinci over BU.

Anyone know a good area/building to live in? Do most people walk or drive to class?

Hey coolspot! Just as an aside, you should know that if you leave the state of your primary residence for the purposes of education you maintain the residency of the previous state. Basically if you left Ohio for Boston or a different program as long as you were in school in the other location and didn’t buy a house, etc then you would still be an Ohio resident.

Not trying to convince you at all, just wanted to make sure you had all the info!! The Cinci program seems great though, congrats to all those going!

I literally JUST got an email saying I was waitlisted! I had been expecting to get something in the mail, not something online.. they say they accept up the starting date of the program (August 13). I wish I could fast forward time! Congrats to those already in!

does anyone know when the next committee meeting is? I have been complete for i think about 2 weeks (my application was complete on a monday and the previous meeting was on a friday so i just barely missed being reviewed then)

hey all,

congratz to everyone who is accepted and considering to come to the UC-SMP. I am a student here right now so I can definitely relate. Just as an FYI, by the looks of this message board and from my conversations with the staff this year's class is definitely more competitive than last year's (my) class, so best of luck to everyone who is still waiting for word. Don't give up, I applied in january, accepted off the wait-list in JULY! That sucked, lol, but everything is working out pretty well so far. It's definitely an intense program but most definitely do-able.

these boards helped me out a lot last year, so im definitely willing to answer some questions for the new class. i'll check back periodically, so feel free to post comments, etc.

hey all,

congratz to everyone who is accepted and considering to come to the UC-SMP. I am a student here right now so I can definitely relate. Just as an FYI, by the looks of this message board and from my conversations with the staff this year's class is definitely more competitive than last year's (my) class, so best of luck to everyone who is still waiting for word. Don't give up, I applied in january, accepted off the wait-list in JULY! That sucked, lol, but everything is working out pretty well so far. It's definitely an intense program but most definitely do-able.

these boards helped me out a lot last year, so im definitely willing to answer some questions for the new class. i'll check back periodically, so feel free to post comments, etc.

i was wondering how you all worked out your living situations this past year. did you all contact one another to see who wanted to live with who, or did you just do everything individually? also, did you have any recommendations for good apartments? i was just a little concerned considering most people probably don't know one another
thanks

i was wondering how you all worked out your living situations this past year. did you all contact one another to see who wanted to live with who, or did you just do everything individually? also, did you have any recommendations for good apartments? i was just a little concerned considering most people probably don't know one another
thanks

once the class was settled, the program director (dr. banks) sent out an email with everyone's contact info and through that, another student and myself were able to find an apartment.

i currently live in hyde park with another student in the program (his parents actually own the house), and this area is definitely nicer than the immediate area around school. However, you have to factor in other factors like transportation, etc (in my opinion, a car is an absolute must, public transportation/cabs are unreliable). Its about a 15-20 minute drive to school from hyde park. There are a ton of apartments in the clifton area, some literally a few minutes walk from school and also a bunch of apartments in the hyde park area (sorry, i cant remember any of the names off the top of my head) but im sure you can find them online.

once the class was settled, the program director (dr. banks) sent out an email with everyone's contact info and through that, another student and myself were able to find an apartment.

i currently live in hyde park with another student in the program (his parents actually own the house), and this area is definitely nicer than the immediate area around school. However, you have to factor in other factors like transportation, etc (in my opinion, a car is an absolute must, public transportation/cabs are unreliable). Its about a 15-20 minute drive to school from hyde park. There are a ton of apartments in the clifton area, some literally a few minutes walk from school and also a bunch of apartments in the hyde park area (sorry, i cant remember any of the names off the top of my head) but im sure you can find them online.

I hope you keep checking this thread because I am seriously on the fence between Gtown and Cinci!!
How helpful would you say the faculty/staff are in helping you to get into medical school?
At Gtown it seems less personal, and more like they just let you fend for yourself.
From reading the Cinci website it seems that the faculty and the staff go out of their way to help you make your application as strong as possible, i.e. look over your essays, help you find shadowing/volunteer opportunities, writing personalized recommendation letters, and giving you interview practice.
How would you rank that aspect of Cinci's program?

I hope you keep checking this thread because I am seriously on the fence between Gtown and Cinci!!
How helpful would you say the faculty/staff are in helping you to get into medical school?
At Gtown it seems less personal, and more like they just let you fend for yourself.
From reading the Cinci website it seems that the faculty and the staff go out of their way to help you make your application as strong as possible, i.e. look over your essays, help you find shadowing/volunteer opportunities, writing personalized recommendation letters, and giving you interview practice.
How would you rank that aspect of Cinci's program?

i actually have a friend at georgetown right now and he seems to like it (especially the city). from my point of view, the faculty and staff here at UC are EXTREMELY helpful with regards to helping you do well (whether its review sessions, tutoring, answering questions). With that in mind, its up to each individual student to step up and make it easier for the faculty to write a good recommendation for you (i.e., basically they want you to be accepted into medical school, but theres only such much they can do on their end). However, if you do well in this program you will get a solid letter of recommendation.
They also set you up with shadowing opportunity coordinator and lag year opportunities (for anyone waiting til the end of the program to apply to med school, like myself). The professors for the most part are very good and because of the size of the class its a pretty tight knit group. Personally, I haven't sought out essay reviews/interview practice from any staff/faculty but I don't see why anyone would be unwilling to help in that regard.

In a nutshell, I like the structure and size of the program a lot and I think it is a huge positive. The professors are helpful and you get a lot for your money's worth. There is a lot of integration between the med students and master's students so thats definitely a plus. The only real negative for me is Cincinnati, the city itself, which leaves something to be desired (if your from a metropolitan area). But then again, I definitely have not been able to go out as much as I have in the past because the program WILL keep you on your toes 11 months of out the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
They also set you up with shadowing opportunity coordinator and lag year opportunities (for anyone waiting til the end of the program to apply to med school, like myself). quote]

What was UC's stance on re-applying to medical school? Did they recommend you apply during the program year or after its completion? Which do you think is more useful?

They also set you up with shadowing opportunity coordinator and lag year opportunities (for anyone waiting til the end of the program to apply to med school, like myself). quote]

What was UC's stance on re-applying to medical school? Did they recommend you apply during the program year or after its completion? Which do you think is more useful?

as far as i know they'll support you either way, the program basically lets you make the call on when to apply.

I would say approximately 15/20 students in the program have applied for next Fall's class. Out of the 15, at least 7 or 8 have been accepted so far with practically everyone else on waitlists.

In my case, I was pre-med since freshman year in college and I have never applied before mainly because I decided it would be best to wait until I was the best possible applicant before I applied. From other students, I've heard re-applicants are looked upon less favorably at some schools, unless they have taken solid measures to improve their application.
It really depends on your individual status (i.e., gpa, mcat, if you've applied before, clinical experience, etc.). Its a time-consuming and expensive process and I'd rather jump in knowing that there is nothing more I could have realistically done as opposed to waiting around for an interview/acceptance that might not come and wonder if its b/c of my gpa, mcat, clinical experience, etc.

as far as i know they'll support you either way, the program basically lets you make the call on when to apply.

I would say approximately 15/20 students in the program have applied for next Fall's class. Out of the 15, at least 7 or 8 have been accepted so far with practically everyone else on waitlists.

In my case, I was pre-med since freshman year in college and I have never applied before mainly because I decided it would be best to wait until I was the best possible applicant before I applied. From other students, I've heard re-applicants are looked upon less favorably at some schools, unless they have taken solid measures to improve their application.
It really depends on your individual status (i.e., gpa, mcat, if you've applied before, clinical experience, etc.). Its a time-consuming and expensive process and I'd rather jump in knowing that there is nothing more I could have realistically done as opposed to waiting around for an interview/acceptance that might not come and wonder if its b/c of my gpa, mcat, clinical experience, etc.

Oh I have another question!
Can you re-watch the lectures at UC online? McGill has the 'WebCT' system and a lecture recording system in place for all of the big lecture halls that allows students to rewatch the lectures online. In general, how is 'tech' side of learning there? Do they post the notes online, are there student discussion boards for course material, etc...

Oh I have another question!
Can you re-watch the lectures at UC online? McGill has the 'WebCT' system and a lecture recording system in place for all of the big lecture halls that allows students to rewatch the lectures online. In general, how is 'tech' side of learning there? Do they post the notes online, are there student discussion boards for course material, etc...

In the survival guide it mentions how notes are posted for some of the classes:

"Lectures are generally PowerPoint presentations, and are posted to Blackboard (an Internet-based tool, for those unfamiliar) ahead of time for Biochem, or afterward with audio recorded for Physiology. Audio for Biochem and Physiology are available in mp3 format, so it’s easy to catch up on a missed lecture or to help review. Nevertheless, most students attend the lectures; it’s still easier to know what they’re pointing at on screen with the laser pointer, which you may not get listening later."

Then for the pharm course:

"There was no required textbook and all the material was distributed in the form of handouts, articles, and PowerPoint slides, which were either distributed in class or on Blackboard. Also, none of the lectures are recorded, so attendance becomes important so you can take notes and get all of the material. However, since the med school courses are usually in the morning, Pharm is held in the afternoon, which makes regular attendance quite manageable."

It seems most of the classes are based on PowerPoint and handouts given to the class. I used Blackboard (BB) in undergrad, and I'm assuming most notes will be posted there. BB also has a discussion area, so you should be able to have chats/discussion groups with your classmates there.

I would also like to know if the classes are video recorded, since that would be much better than audio recordings when catching up on missed lectures.

the classes are not video recorded.. just audio. the pharm course is going to be taken out and replaced with clinical embryology which will be a huge benefit to next year's class.
for those that hadn't seen my previous post in here.. i'm one of the current students and i'll be happy to answer any questions about the program and the classes... feel free to email me at [email protected]

Hey guys, I'm also a current student and am very willing to help you guys out. It's a great program. I agree with a lot of what other current student on this post have said. There is not going to be grad housing available on campus next year apparently, so as for housing you're on your own. But check out the housing website on UC and they have tons of off-site listings. Rents are as low as 400 to 800 for studios and 1-br, depending in what area of the city you're in. Several current students live with or close to other masters students. I'm sure Dr. Banks, like with our class, will send out a final roster in the summer and you can all email each other and see if anyone wants to live together.

Karen Coleman is the administrative coordinator and just about the nicest and most helpful person you'll meet. Anything administrative you need, go to her. For example, she is the one that uploads grades to the registrar's office, and handles any building access issues. Thanks to our class and her, you guys will have perimeter access to the med school and hospital at night, for those late night study sessions (there will be many of those).

The course-load is tough, but everyone has been able to keep up. We had about 10 people apply while they were doing this program, and at least 7 have gotten accepted (to Univ of Cincinnati, Case Western, NYCOM, Uniformed Services, Wright State, and others), and at least 2 others are on waitlists (at Creighton, Toledo, Iowa, etc.). The others, like me, are waiting til this summer to apply. Either way is fine, it's your choice, but personally I liked avoiding the stress of applying while I was trying to do well in these courses. PLUS, if you wait, you have almost your entire year's worth of coursework ready to go. Be aware, you dont' get official transcripts til the med classes are over in late March, so schools will just have to take your word and the word of the update letters that Dr. Banks will send out that you're doing well. For example, if you bomb your first medical biochemistry test, that's what you have to report and you'll have to wait another month til your next test and then send another update showing you did better. Obviously this works, since as I said, many people got in this year. So you decide what you'd rather do.

Staff and faculty are very helpful, up to a point, then it's all on you. They will not hold your hand and open the door into med school for you...they will just lead you to the door (pardon my crappy metaphor). Help each other out...best thing is that you're not in competition with each other...the med courses are not curved per se. Also, you thank us for getting rid of pharmacology for you. Believe me, you have a ALOT to thank us for in that regard...that class brought down many people's gpa's unnecessarily. Clinical embryology is a lot more interesting and relevant, and much more organized.

Any specific questions, feel free to ask any of us...we just had a meeting today about how next year's class should be improved or changed, so we want you guys to succeed. Good luck

Wow, thanks guys so much for giving us your input, it's really appreciated!

Perimeter access, that sounds pretty nifty.

I have a couple questions:
1) What do you guys think about the new microscopic anatomy class we're taking next year?
2) Do most people live near/on the campus or do they commute from a nearby suburb?
3) For those who were accepted to med school while in the program, what range of GPA do you think they had?

Micro was new for the program this year. It was a great class. It's sort of two classes in one: lab with the microscope slides and lecture with all the microscopic properties of the entire body down to the protein level in some cases. Get used to using both the microscope and the computer-based slides when you do lab...you'll use both on the exams. It can all be done from home (on computer only, you don't get to take the scopes home), but I suggest going to the scheduled labs each week so you can get help from classmates (you'll have a lab partner) and a microanatomy lecturer who comes to each lab to help out. By the end of the class, you should be able to identify any part of the human body on the microscopic level.

People lived both near the school and in suburbs. Closer to school, rents tend to be slightly cheaper (since you're closer to downtown), but probably not enough to matter, so it's up to you.. Think of transportation, cost, and just convenience (snow days can cause issues with long commutes...and the med school NEVER shuts down due to weather). Many of us live within walking distance, which to me is nice, but others live in areas like Hyde Park...about 10-15mins away on surface streets, which is a nicer area, but obviously farther away. Cincy is a major city...15th largest in the US i think, so there are areas to stay away from at night, but generally the area immediately around the school and most of the suburbs north of the city are safe. Just be smart and be aware of your surroundings.

It's hard to say what the GPA's are for people who got in, because we technically did not have official GPA's til a few weeks ago when the med classes ended (you get autumn and winter grades at the same time because the med classes aren't finished yet when fall quarter is done). I have no doubt they all were doing fairly well though, since the only thing the med schools could go on were their most recent test scores. I'd say around a 3.4-3.5, but that's a pure uneducated guess.

Hope that answered your questions

Thanks pedsbro!

Another question for any current SMP student who applied this year:

What did you put on your AMCAS about the SMP? As in, did you list "University of Cincinnati School of Medicine" as one of your institutions attended and put your SMP classes as future courses? If so, did you have to send in a transcript? Do you know how admissions committees view that move (I think I remember braluk saying you could list the SMP on your AMCAS and catch their attention)?

Some people who applied this year that I talked to put down they were getting a masters degree from Univ of Cincinnati College of Medicine and some just put Univ of Cincinnati. Your degree technically comes from the graduate school, not the medical school, but it didn't seem to make a difference. You have to put down the courses as current/future courses. As I said before, you won't get official transcripts til March, so until then, all you can do is send "update letters" that show your current grades (based on your test scores up to that point). Dr. Banks will get your current grades from the other instructors and will write these for you upon request. Certainly you want emphasize what you're taking (SMP) on your AMCAS anywhere that is appropriate, but the update letters will talk about the program as well. Maybe even mention it in your personal statement if it applies. That's definitely what I'm going to do.

Keep in mind, you're taking a much bigger risk if you apply while you're in the program, but at the same time you get an arguably bigger reward. For example, at the time you submit AMCAS in June or even July, you're basically applying with the same credentials you would have if you didn't take this SMP...at that time, you wouldn't have even started the program. Some schools want to see solid results before they even consider your app (such as the Univ of California schools...none of which offered interviews to those in our program who applied there this year). It might be worth waiting...
I know I definitely do NOT regret waiting til this June to apply...there is so much more that can go wrong (like one bad test) that can ruin your chances if you apply while you're in the program. Most of the others who waited agree. But again, people have gotten in already. There's a case to be made for both, but it's a tough choice, so think long and hard about it. Maybe email some admissions counselors at specific schools you're interested in or at your current undergrad school and see what they think.

Hi all!

I am also a current student in the master's program at UC. I love it, and I think its been very beneficial. I will be attending UC med this fall and am very excited about it! I am looking to live with one or two other girls...so if anyone is interested, please let me know! I have a great place in hyde park in mind.

One more question for you current UC SMPers...

I know that on the website they say that they require that you have a laptop for the anatomy labs. Is this true? Or can I get away with not having a laptop. Money is an issue for me so if I absolutely didn't have to have it then I wouldn't get it.

Also, how does one go about finding accomodations? Someone said that the on campus housing isn't available for graduate students but I got a form with my acceptance about housing...

Does anyone know when the orientation is for fall 2008 and when is the first day of classes?

Hi,
You absolutely must have a laptop. It will come in handy in other ways other than anatomy, but you actually take your lab-practical tests on your own laptop in that class. There wasn't a single person this year that didn't have one. They are getting surprisingly cheaper these days, and you don't need a powerful machine by any means. Even a used one would be fine...as long as it has respectable system components. I suggest a PC (cheaper, more compatible with the software that's used here)...Mac users sometimes had trouble connecting to the exams right away, but for those of you who have a Mac already, it should be fine. But yes, you need a laptop, so start shopping for cheap ones now...sorry. Honestly, you'll probably be required to have one in med school (many med schools have a "computer requirement" now), so might as well invest now.
As for the housing, there is only one graduate housing complex on campus (Scioto/Morgens Halls) and it closes August 31st for renovation. Check out: http://www.uc.edu/gradfamilyhousing/
So no on-campus grad housing for at least this next year. But that same website will have off-campus listings and school-affiliated housing. As I mentioned in an earlier post, rents are reasonable immediately around the school and the surrounding areas. Also, earlier in the summer, you'll all most likely get a roster of everyone in the program, so you can email each other to coordinate living arrangements. Several SMP students lived together or right next to each other.

If you look under FAQ on the Cincy SMP website (http://mcp.uc.edu/index.php?level2=1039) , it says

"Q: If accepted to UC's master's program, when do I begin school?

-Orientation will be held on August 13, 2008. The first class (medical biochemistry) begins on August 18, 2008."

The website is pretty thorough, so check it out for answers. Also, you can email Karen Coleman for any specific questions, she's the coordinator and extremely helpful.

Vihsadas, if you need to buy a laptop, I would actually recommend not going all out in preparation for med school. I know certain med schools require you to have one, but certain schools also require that you buy one through them.

Case Western comes to mind. I think all incoming students had to buy one of the laptops they offered, and could not buy their own outside brands/models. You order it, and the med school IT people install all the necessary programs for you and give it to you. You can choose b/w a Mac and PC, but you only have a couple choices of machine for each type.

Either way, since you don't know yet where you're going to med school, I would say not to go all out on a laptop, since you may be forced to buy another new one when you matriculate into med school. If only that 1 class requires a laptop, you can find some pretty cheap ones, or borrow an old laptop from a family member/friend for that block.

Vihsadas, if you need to buy a laptop, I would actually recommend not going all out in preparation for med school. I know certain med schools require you to have one, but certain schools also require that you buy one through them.

Case Western comes to mind. I think all incoming students had to buy one of the laptops they offered, and could not buy their own outside brands/models. You order it, and the med school IT people install all the necessary programs for you and give it to you. You can choose b/w a Mac and PC, but you only have a couple choices of machine for each type.

Either way, since you don't know yet where you're going to med school, I would say not to go all out on a laptop, since you may be forced to buy another new one when you matriculate into med school. If only that 1 class requires a laptop, you can find some pretty cheap ones, or borrow an old laptop from a family member/friend for that block.

Thanks for that bit of information. I did not know that. I'm actually a pretty big tech head so my 'gift' to myself when I did get into medical school was going to be a laptop that I custom build and modify. I think that if I have to have one for UC I'll just buy one second hand...

Coolspot had a good point about certain med schools requiring you to buy their own laptops...Univ of Maryland is another one that requires that you buy/lease a computer from them. There aren't many that do, but if even one is a potential destination for you, then you should keep it in mind.

Definitely get a cheap one or used one at least. If you borrow one, you'll need it from August to February (that's as long as microanatomy lasts), so hopefully you have trustworthy friends to let you borrow one for that long haha. I still believe a laptop will serve many other uses in this program too. You're a tech head, so i'm sure you know you can get new ones for around $500 nowadays...Dell and Compaq even. You have until mid to late August , so plenty of time to find a good price on a new or used notebook.

Keep in mind you'll also need a computer (laptop or desktop) for Clinical Embryology if you want to do it at home, as it is a 100% online class with streaming video lectures and online exams.

Anyone start looking for apartments yet? I'll have a car and I plan on driving to class so I don't have to live within walking distance. I'm thinking of looking in the Hyde Park area just east of campus. Anywhere else I should look? I think the incoming med school class has a thread in the allopathic class threads forum, and they were discussing the same stuff there.

Last edited:
I just got waitlisted today.

i am in waitlist heaven. i applied to 4 med schools. interviewed at 3, waitlisted at 3. And now just waiting on Toledo MS. looks like it may be a 5th waitlist for me.

I'm in the same boat- waitlisted at 4 med schools, waitlisted at the Cinci MS program...still waiting to hear from Toledo med school

Waitlists are awesome.

Has anyone been successful in getting a hold of Ms. Karen Coleman? I submitted my application around February, letters of rec went out shortly thereafter. I've emailed and called a few times with no reply or return. I'm just throwing away money:mad:

Has anyone been successful in getting a hold of Ms. Karen Coleman? I submitted my application around February, letters of rec went out shortly thereafter. I've emailed and called a few times with no reply or return. I'm just throwing away money:mad:

whenever i call and leave and message she has gotten back to me pretty quickly. She has also answered once when i called.

Is anyone worried that all three medical school courses, physiology biochemistry and micro, are taken in the same semester(s)? I understand that means that medical schools will see all your medical school course grades earlier in the cycle; but it may also mean lower grades. I assume then that the SMP workload will be exactly what the medical students endure in that time.

Does anyone have insight into what the Fall and Winter schedule/workload will be like? From what I can tell, classes and exams are staggered such that you will not necessarily take classes for a course in consecutive weeks. How has this been different from a more traditional course schedule in terms of difficulty, learning, your opinion?

And last question: if you matriculate at U of Cincinnati's medical school after the program, did they offer the option of opting out of the classes you had taken during the SMP?

Is anyone worried that all three medical school courses, physiology biochemistry and micro, are taken in the same semester(s)? I understand that means that medical schools will see all your medical school course grades earlier in the cycle; but it may also mean lower grades. I assume then that the SMP workload will be exactly what the medical students endure in that time.

Does anyone have insight into what the Fall and Winter schedule/workload will be like? From what I can tell, classes and exams are staggered such that you will not necessarily take classes for a course in consecutive weeks. How has this been different from a more traditional course schedule in terms of difficulty, learning, your opinion?

And last question: if you matriculate at U of Cincinnati's medical school after the program, did they offer the option of opting out of the classes you had taken during the SMP?

The point of taking them at the same time, like the med students, is to prove to adcoms that you can succeed with that sort of workload. So your grades shouldn't be lower!:) Work hard, manage your time correctly, use the endless resources that are provided for you, and you can do well in all of 3 of them. The med students also have gross anatomy and CFMP (clinical skills class), so they have a little bit tougher workload, but believe me, you'll have your hands full with those other 3.

There is a set class schedule, but it's not like in undergrad...meaning you won't have the same schedule week to week. One week you can have 1 micro lab, 4 physio lectures, and 2 biochem, then next week you can have 4 biochem, 3 physio, 2 labs, etc...you get the picture. We had classes and labs as early as 8am or going to as late as 4pm...each day was different. The first set of exams this year (there are 4 blocks) were spread out nicely but still within a week; other blocks they were closer together. Block 3 was by far the toughest...it ends right before winter break. I'm not sure what the schedule will be like next year...you will get it in August. But exams will be within the same week generally, which is nice in some ways (think of it as a finals week from undergrad...except you have 4 of them, haha), but obviously requires a lot of time management and prioritizing.

It is a lot tougher than undergrad, as well it should be. Some weeks have less lectures and labs than other weeks, so that's nice...those are weeks you can study up and review previous material, whereas undergrad you had the same schedule every week. But not even the favorable (in my opinion) scheduling makes up for the vast amount of material you have to master, and that alone made this entire experience difficult. Exam time is very stressful and there will be plenty of late night study sessions with your fellow masters students (which i have to say helped us bond a little better, so again...there's always some good to take out of every experience here). Make no mistake (and you will hear this over and over, and probably still won't heed the warning, but here goes...): you cannot procrastinate, fall behind, or expect to cram a few days before each exam. You will not succeed in this program, nor in med school, doing that. So those days are far behind you in undergrad. Help each other out...you're not competing against each other...the med classes are not "curved."

Lastly, as far as I know the school won't give you credit for the classes you took there if you matriculate the next year...that might change, but I have no idea. As of now, they don't and either way you'd have to pay the whole year's tuition anyway, so might as well re-take them, rock the classes and get honors (since you've had the material before), and help out your fellow students. Plus, you get the advantage of extra review for USMLE step 1. Good luck...feel free to ask anymore questions or PM me...there are a handful of current students in the program who check this forum like me

I haven't been able to get a hol dof her either. I recieved one email to say she hadnt checked mail for a week then never heard back form email. Phone messages form Cincinnati in general never get returned. I should know I work there.

Hey everyone! I've been accepted to Cinci and I'm planning on going. I look forward to meeting those of you are are doing the same.

So I went to Cinci this past weekend to look for an apartment. I ended up finding a nice place in Hyde Park. Although it'll be a 15 min drive to class (which isn't that bad at all), I'll be near all the stores/food/etc. The area right around the university seemed kinda dead. Although some apartments were nice, the price was jacked up for people who want to live close to the hospital. I'd say Hyde Park is a great option.

I also crossed the river into Kentucky and visited Newport, which was amazing. Went to the Hofbrauhaus (sp?) and walked along the river. Amazing area. Cincinnati seemed like a really clean city overall, and I hear it's pretty warm, so I'm glad I'm heading there this summer.

yea hofbrauhaus is pretty nice.. there's quite a few bars in hyde park and some fun ones in mt adams too. i'm in the program this year and i live near campus. the place i live in is ok, 1 bedroom for 500/mo but the neighborhood isn't exactly the greatest. next year i do plan on moving to hyde park and that's a great neighborhood. if you get a chance to come out here i would just suggest driving around hyde park cause there are rental signs everywhere. but yea it's about 10-15 min drive to campus from there and you can either get a parking pass for quite a few hundred for the year that's attached to the building with all your classes or you can park within a few blocks on the streets. anyway if any of you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email... [email protected]

Just got in today and waiting to hear back from Georgetown and VCU, but this seems like an awesome progam.

Where is there to live in Cinci/anyone ever been there/anyone need a roomate. I'm an NC resident and have never even set foot in Ohio. Thanks for the help!

The bus system here offers free rides for UC students, so keep that in mind. We have one guy this year in the program who pretty much takes the bus from home to school and back every day. There are plenty of apartments around the school and the surrounding suburbs and the rents aren't bad. Just to repeat what I've mentioned before, there will be no graduate student housing next year. The rents at the apts immediately around school can be just as cheap as those farther away...take a look at the UC housing website and look at their listings for off-campus housing.

http://www.uc.edu/af/cp%26d/Real_Estate.html

The neighborhoods around UC are OK...some better than others...Hyde Park definitely trumps them all and it's very popular among UC students. Parking is something to think about...like bjb said, it's expensive as hell to buy a pass, but it might be worth it during the cold, snowy months. You can buy passes on a quarter to quarter basis. You can try to park on the streets around the school, but it'll be a longer walk and be smart about where you leave your car and what you leave in plain view... Also, they definitely enforce the parking meters at and around the school and city!

in response to ashley... one of the girls in our program is from NC and said you can email her with any questions... [email protected]
for anyone else lookin for living things you can check out uptown rentals (my landlord) http://uptownrents.com/

Thanks, I just sent her an email!

hey just letting everyone know that I previously accepted the offer for admission and submitted my deposit but emailed Karen today saying that I will be unable to attend, so that means there's one more spot for someone! good luck everyone! thanks for all the help in this thread too :)

Hi everyone,

I just graduated with a 2.91 overall GPA. It was previously a 2.87, but I earned a 3.2 this semester. I had two A's, a B- in a sociology course, then a B in Human Physiology and a C+ in Immunology :(

I would like to report my overall increase in GPA, however.. I know that a C+ in Immunology would not bode well and was wondering if it would hurt me more than help me if I sent in a final transcript. Thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I just graduated with a 2.91 overall GPA. It was previously a 2.87, but I earned a 3.2 this semester. I had two A's, a B- in a sociology course, then a B in Human Physiology and a C+ in Immunology :(

I would like to report my overall increase in GPA, however.. I know that a C+ in Immunology would not bode well and was wondering if it would hurt me more than help me if I sent in a final transcript. Thoughts?

Tough call. I think the overall increase in GPA is something you want to promote in any situation though. If it were me, I would send it, but doesn't mean you or other people would feel that way...I understand the hesitation with the C+ (Immuno is a tough subject). Just remember, you're going to have to deal with it when you apply to medical schools eventually... Won't hurt to roll the dice now. Good luck with that decision though...