Official: Univ of Cincinnati, MS Physiology (SMP) - Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolSpot7Up

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woohoo! Just got accepted today! Anyone else planning to attend next year? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm. I got in too. It's looking like I have a choice between 2 SMPs right now. Hopefully I have to choose neither! If its between Gtown and Cinci, I'm leaning toward cinci though.

Got my acceptance today.... man 500 bucks by feb 15th. Not leaving me much time to think through...

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance today.... man 500 bucks by feb 15th. Not leaving me much time to think through...

You get it back if you don't decide to go as long as they fill your spot. Don't worry. They only have like 20 spots for us, so if you don't decide to go within the next few months, you'll get your deposit back.

Yeah, for sure. Cinci was a strong choice in my mind since it's a small class and relatively cheaper. But I just noticed the drastic price increase in tuition which doesn't make it as appealing anymore, but still a great option.

16,000 to 25,000...phew...

Yeah, for sure. Cinci was a strong choice in my mind since it's a small class and relatively cheaper. But I just noticed the drastic price increase in tuition which doesn't make it as appealing anymore, but still a great option.

16,000 to 25,000...phew...

There are a couple of hidden fees too. I noticed an extra $400 + 700 for something, and then books are like $400.

I think that's still much cheaper than Gtown which is like 33,500 + books + fees + MASSIVE LIVING EXPENSES!!

Cinci's living expenses are way lower. That is a huge tuition increase though. Oh well...

how did y'all find out you were accepted? did it say online or did you get a letter in the mail? how long was it between the time you submitted and when you heard back? i submitted to cincinnati about 3 weeks ago, so i'm just curious when i should expect to hear something. thanks!

oh, post your stats too if you don't mind. :)

how did y'all find out you were accepted? did it say online or did you get a letter in the mail? how long was it between the time you submitted and when you heard back? i submitted to cincinnati about 3 weeks ago, so i'm just curious when i should expect to hear something. thanks!

I officially completed my online application on January 24th. By that date all of my other application materials were already received by U Cincinnati (LORs, Perm Res, MCAT, etc.). I received an E-mail from the director of the master's program admissions on January 31st. So I guess that's a 7 day turnaround. :eek:

3.29 BCMP
3.3 Total

But in the current year I'm doing a post-bacc at about 3.9.
MCAT 40S (15PS 11VR 14BS)

Got the email around 6 PM last night. Important ppl were CC'ed as well. Got a PDF file with info about costs and a letter that we need to sign and return with a $500 check by Feb 15th.

It's weird, the online app keeps changing the "submitted" date to the day you last accessed, so mine now says today. I started the app around Jan 4, I think I submitted a day or two afterwards. Had my materials received within 2 weeks after.

I called them on Tues (3 days ago) to check my completion status, had to leave a message. They called back the next day and said I was complete. They said it would be 2 weeks or so until they make a decision and maybe another 2 until I hear from them, so expect a month. The next day I got accepted, so I guess waiting 1 month became 1 day.

Overall and Science GPA: 3.2
MCAT: 34N (VR 9, PS 14, BS 11)

Anyone know email address for Cincy SMP admissions? I need to contact them for a question before I apply. I don't have the link to their SMP program website.

Hey, I'm not quite sure yet. It depends on a few factors...

Does anyone know if Cincinnati's SMP grants OH residency for the medical school application year that is concurrent with the SMP? In other words, will I be considered an OH resident THIS AAMC application cycle (2009 Matric) if I go to the Cincinnati SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm not quite sure yet. It depends on a few factors...

Does anyone know if Cincinnati's SMP grants OH residency for the medical school application year that is concurrent with the SMP? In other words, will I be considered an OH resident THIS AAMC application cycle (2009 Matric) if I go to the Cincinnati SMP?

http://mcp.uc.edu/index.php?level2=gradstudies&level3=msmedicalphysiology#benefits

Their website lists this as one of the "benefits";
- "Qualify out-of-state students for Ohio residency and subsequent application to the numerous medical schools in our state."

I guess so!

http://mcp.uc.edu/index.php?level2=gradstudies&level3=msmedicalphysiology#benefits

- "Qualify out-of-state students for Ohio residency and subsequent application to the numerous medical schools in our state."

I guess so!

Yeah I saw that, but it doesn't specify whether you get to be considered instate for the same application year as the year that you are attending the SMP. If you have to wait an extra year after your SMP that would suck!!

Yeah I saw that, but it doesn't specify whether you get to be considered instate for the same application year as the year that you are attending the SMP. If you have to wait an extra year after your SMP that would suck!!
I am 90% sure you have to wait an extra year.

I guess so!

I think you gain residency only after living here for a year. So, if you applied to med schools while doing the SMP, you'd be a resident of wherever you are now or where your parents are I suppose.

I am 90% sure you have to wait an extra year.

I think you gain residency only after living here for a year. So, if you applied to med schools while doing the SMP, you'd be a resident of wherever you are now or where your parents are I suppose.

I emailed them to ask. You get OH residency starting August 9th of the year that you are entering the program. So you're not allowed to put it on your AMCAS application, but I'm sure that a few letters of update might do the trick. Dr. Banks also said that a number of students from last year who did well in the medical school courses in the SMP (Honors) were given acceptances at Cincinnati, OSU, and Toledo.

EDIT: Dr. Banks just e-mailed me again. You would indeed have to wait one year before you were given OH residency. The residency would take effect August 2009 NOT the August that you enter the MS Physiology program August 2008. He did reiterate that a number of student who were out of state in the MS program were accepted into OH schools.

So when you fill out your AMCAS in June, can you put yourself as an OH resident, knowing that it will be in effect in a couple of months?

So when you fill out your AMCAS in June, can you put yourself as an OH resident, knowing that it will be in effect in a couple of months?

Actually, I think he meant you would be an OH resident in about a year. If you enter this August '08, you become a resident after one year in August '09. But it seems OH schools know you'll be an OH resident no matter what you put on AMCAS since you're in the SMP, so I'll just put my home state down to have an "extra" in-state option.

No I mean if you apply next year (in June '09), you'd have that three month lag.

No I mean if you apply next year (in June '09), you'd have that three month lag.

Oh, yeah, in that case I would definitely list OH as my state of residence. A couple months won't matter. By the time your secondaries are marked complete and you're under review, it'll already be that time when you're considered a resident.

Anyone know what's the time breakdown of each quarter??? in another word, from what month to what month is the fall quarter, the winter quarter, the spring etc...?

hey everyone.. i'm in the current uc class.. personally i love it, but if you have any questions about any part of it, feel free to drop me an email at [email protected]
as for the whole residency thing, you get it AFTER the program in august.. a couple of the guys from last year's program waited to get residency then put in their applications and they got accepted early decision so so far it's lookin good

why is it so important to have ohio residency?

is there any benefit? i am from california. just wondering.

and how many that got in are ohio residents arleady? i heard a rumor that cinci doesnt accept many out of staters.

i am finishing up my georgetown and bu apps rite now. i mite do cinci too if someone can invalidate the rumor.

thx!

why is it so important to have ohio residency?

is there any benefit? i am from california. just wondering.

and how many that got in are ohio residents arleady? i heard a rumor that cinci doesnt accept many out of staters.

i am finishing up my georgetown and bu apps rite now. i mite do cinci too if someone can invalidate the rumor.

thx!

ohio has a lot of state schools that favor in-state residents. california also has a lot of state schools that favor in-state residents. the difference is, there are a lot of premeds in california than in ohio and the proportion of seats to applicants is a lot lower.

ucinci is a state school and part of the ohio university system. however, cinci is what i call "semi-public." they don't get as much funding from ohio and rely more on tuition than other ohio public schools. for that reason, cinci tends to accept more OOS than IS (with the exception of ohio state probably). check the latest MSAR though b/c this is off the top of my head.

the problem with the ohio residency benefit is that you have to wait until AFTER you graduate to apply to med school to take advantage of it. of course, if you were planning to do that anyway, then it's a definite plus.

just called karen coleman today to check to see if my app was complete and she said that the next committee meeting will be in 1 or 2 weeks

I just got my acceptance today, and I submitted my app on Feb. 11 (so about a 2 week turnaround). They won't let you know if they've received all your supporting materials unless if you contact them, and they will email you whether or not you got accepted.

^^^^
mine was complete on the 17th so hopefully I should hear back in a week.....
mind posting stats

hmmm...i was complete on february 1st and i still haven't heard anything one way or the other. should i call/email or should i give it some more time?

it definitely wouldn't hurt to call and ask. they are usually pretty quick in responding to questions.

stats:
science gpa: 3.27
overall gpa: 3.52
mcat: 32Q
others: research and clinical experience

it definitely wouldn't hurt to call and ask. they are usually pretty quick in responding to questions.

stats:
science gpa: 3.27
overall gpa: 3.52
mcat: 32Q
others: research and clinical experience

Why did you choose a SMP over just applying straight to medical school? You are borderline, but might have gotten in.

Why did you choose a SMP over just applying straight to medical school? You are borderline, but might have gotten in.

I'm actually doing both - doing the SMP and applying straight. Yea I know I'm borderline and I think that doing an SMP will help me get into medical schools also. I wanted to get a Master's anyway

I'm an out-of-state applicant who has everything ready except for the Statement of Purpose. After reading this thread and seeing the high stats (I have a 2.87 GPA and 30O MCAT), I am starting to feel discouraged. I have been working on perfecting my statement for quite some time now in hopes of improving my application. I have good volunteer work and leadership, but I am afraid it will not be enough. Any thoughts? Also, I am aware that the average applicant has at least a 3.0 GPA, but I spoke with Karen Coleman on the phone and she told me that they don't have a GPA cut-off.. it is simply an average).

Thanks in advance for any input!

I just found out yesterday that I was waitlisted for the Cinci MS Physiology program. Definitely was hoping to get in..:(...must be pretty tough this year b/c I thought my stats would be pretty competitive...
GPA 3.6
MCAT 30Q
A lot of research/clinical shadowing/volunteer work/ 1 publication

i dont know about cinci's program specifically but a lot of SMPs don't accept students with stats that are too high. they won't benefit from the program. your stats are competitive so there's really no need to drop 30K+ in a useless degree.

Yeah thats what several people have said...but the thing is....I don't seem to be good enough to get into med school (not so far anyways) but can't get into a program that could help make my lower gpa (the weak part of my application) look better. Frustrating!

your gpa/mcat look fine, they are at about the average (median) for matriculants for med school last year. surely there's other areas of your application you can work on.

retaking the mcat is one option if you are confident you can score higher.

you might benefit from a 1-year non-thesis "hard" masters program or perhaps a 2-year thesis MS if you want to apply between your first and second year. the major benefits: more research and better LORs. MS programs are basically one really good EC.

the weakest part of your app may be your essays and interviewing skills. you might want to get some feedback on these crucial components of your app as well.

there are other ways to improve your candidancy is to apply early and broadly.

MUOH, i agree with isoprop that your stats are pretty good. also, these programs are more to help people increase their gpas, and your gpa is pretty solid. if you wanted to improve anything based just on stats, it would be the mcat. but like isoprop said, the problem could very well be your essays and interviewing skills. good luck with everything

Overall GPA 3.6
Science GPA 3.45

I guess I was more concerned with my science GPA rather than my overall gpa

have you decided to go here Vihsadas?

have you decided to go here Vihsadas?

Not yet. I'm completely on the fence between Gtown and Cinci.

Extra-curricular factors include:
My best friend lives in DC and went to the SMP in a previous year. I would have family friends there and someone to help me get set up in the city. That is a huge plus in my book.

Plusses in Cinci are the advisors who seem to be willing to really help you get in, the small class size, and the opportunity for shadowing and interview practice built in with the program. In addition, their rec letters mention your performance in medical school classes and your putative rank in the class if you would have been enrolled.
Gtown is more, "You're on your own to do well and get into medical school." ...or at least that's how I perceive it.

Just got in today, so if you haven't heard yet, don't give up - there's still hope!

GPA Overall: 3.36
BCMP: 3.24
MCAT: 33P

Choosing between Tufts MBS and Cinci right now. I guess I have the same problem as Vishadas - friends and girlfriend in Boston and a more supportive program at Cinci.

Not sure what to do. If any one doing the Cinci program now was in the same situation, please weigh in. Thanks!

Just got in today, so if you haven't heard yet, don't give up - there's still hope!

GPA Overall: 3.36
BCMP: 3.24
MCAT: 33P

Choosing between Tufts MBS and Cinci right now. I guess I have the same problem as Vishadas - friends and girlfriend in Boston and a more supportive program at Cinci.

Not sure what to do. If any one doing the Cinci program now was in the same situation, please weigh in. Thanks!

Cool, Congrats on those acceptances! (nice name BTW. :laugh: ). Here's a list for the applicants that were wondering...

Accepted to U Cinci SMP
CoolSpot7Up
- 3.2/34N
HaloMasterChief
Vihsadas - 3.3/40S
Wahngjasnowy - 3.52/32Q
ceilngsdontexst - 3.36/33P