*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Post was originally found scrawled on a wall in the Alamo.

Please post any questions relating to the TMDSAS Application here.

2015-2016 Thread Link
2016-2017 Thread

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!
Please remember that each thread has a search function in the header labeled "Search this Thread". Please use it to avoid repeating questions.

Please use the TMDSAS Application site as your first resource for questions. The website has a list of FAQ's and plenty of other information. http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/homepage.html

TMDSAS Activities FAQ:

Available categories
(http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/section_Overview.html)
ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
NON-ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
LEADERSHIP
EMPLOYMENT
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
HEALTHCARE ACTIVITIES
COMMUNITY SERVICE
EXTRACURRICULAR & LEISURE ACTIVITIES
PLANNED ACTIVITIES

1) Should I write descriptions in narrative or bullet form?

They say either list or paragraph is fine. But as far as formatting goes in TMDSAS activity section, you will see that when you hit save, the listed items are strung together one after another (instead of each in separate lines). Many write in paragraphs because of this formatting issue to make it more readable. Be cautious if you want to use bullets (or hyphens in their place).

2) If there's a significant non-medical volunteer experience I did back in High School for 4 years, can I include it on my application?
Some don't think your application should include activities that occurred before your college freshman year. Maybe bring it up in a "why do you want to be a doctor," Secondary, or interview.

3) Should I list all my shadowing together?
Yes, but if it doesn’t fit gracefully into the 300 space limit, list the experiences separately.

4) If I had multiple leadership positions within an organization, do I list them separately on the TMDSAS? (ex: entry 1- VP of Org X, then separate entry 2 for Pres of Org X)
Yes, as long as each leadership role required uniquely different components.

5) For an award that I have received multiple times (Dean's List) should I list it every time I earned it since it shows up on my transcript as well multiple times?
Put it once and say earned x number of times, or list separately.

6) Where do you put publications, under Research Experiences? Do you just paste the citation into the description?
You could just put the citation but if you can fit in a short description about what you did, include that.

7) What if I have multiple publications?
If possible, put multiple publications under one entry for research with a 1 for the hours. As 300 chars aren’t enough for full citations one can abbreviate which author spot, the journal, and the year published (TMDSAS was called and the lady mentioned this would be fine).

8) My research lab is working on a publication for the next school year. I have the citation, so should I put this in the "planned activities" section?
The perfect place to put this.

9) If I have a recurring volunteer experience that happens every winter break for the past 4 winter breaks, should I separate them into four entries or just clump them into one entry? If I clump them into one entry, do I just put down the dates for one and the total hours for one? Or do I put down total hours over 4 winters for cumulative?
You could do either, one would probably put it in one, combine the hours, and mention how this was done every winter break as well as information about it (if you can fit it).

10) I already put under my medical volunteering section that I plan to continue a volunteer activity indefinitely, but should I also put it in again under future activities?
Treat each section as a stand-alone section. An interviewer should be able to look at the Planned Activities section and know everything you are going participate in during the foreseeable future. One person calling TMDSAS reported they said, "For the planned activity you should enter the start date as today and it should be up to the date of med school matriculation."

11) I understand that for the PLANNED ACTIVITIES section, it's okay to list all of your continued activities even if you previously indicated in another section that they would run until May 2015 or whatever. Because each activity may fit the criteria for different categories (ex. community service AND leadership), which category would I select for that activity in the planned activities section? Do I make two nearly identical planned activities (one labeled community service and the other labeled leadership), or do I simply choose the most appropriate category?
List it under the most appropriate category, but write the description in such a way that the reader would infer it falls under both. It shouldn’t be a problem if you list it twice though.

12) For the optional essays, is it better to fill out one versus not filling any of them out? I have a unique experience of being chosen to go to Washington DC for a conference as the only student from Texas attending. However, I read that essay is only for hardships and things of that nature. Is that true, or is my idea fine for that essay?
Definitely write the essay as you're thinking. It's always a good idea to write the essays in the first place, especially considering that several TX schools have no Secondaries. Take every chance you're given to sell yourself. As for your specific idea, this is an opinion: don't read any subtext into the prompt. It asks for "unique circumstances or life experiences" that would provide the schools with a "broader picture of who you are". Your idea sounds like it fits the bill.

13) If the date range for a particular activity spans into the future, do they want us to list completed hours + projected hours under Total Cumulative Hours or do we just list the hours we have completed thus far? For example:

Date Range: September 2013-June 2015
September 2013-Present: 100 hours completed
Present-June 2015: 100 hours projected

Total Cumulative Hours = 200 or 100

TMDSAS, when called, said if the date range spans into the future, one should include projected hours in the Total Cumulative Hours.

14) After I typed up all my activities, I created the chronology of activities. It is all correct, but the description was cut off due to 50 characters limit. Do we need to fix this in the chronology of activities itself or is this ok?
TMDSAS was called and they said to leave it truncated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TMDSAS General FAQ

1) Can I add more schools after I submit? Yes, but not via the application - you have to send an email to TMDSAS or go through the application's internal messaging system. The request must be received by the application deadline. Include your full name, TMDSAS ID and list the schools you would like added to your application. This can be done anytime until September 30th. (further reading: https://www.tmdsas.com/frwqAskedQ/02-ChangingYourApp.html)

2) Can I change a letter writer if necessary? Yes, you can change your letter writer. Per TMDSAS website:

"We understand that evaluators may change. You MUST update TMDSAS of an evaluator change immediately.

Once you have secured a different evaluator, please notify TMDSAS of the new evaluator. To make this change, email [email protected] . Include your full name, TMDSAS ID and the name of the evaluator that needs to be removed. Provide the following information for the evaluator that should be added:

Salutation (i.e. Dr, Prof, Mr, Mrs, etc.)
First name of Evaluator
Last name of Evaluator
Suffix (i.e. MD, PhD, etc.)
Relationship to you (Academic Advisor, HP Advisor, Professor, Business Associate, Work/Volunteer Supervisor, Other)
Letter delivery method (upload directly to TMDAS or through Interfolio)
Email address of evaluator if he/she will upload directly to TMDSAS"

3) How accurately does the "what schools on AMCAS are you applying to?" have to be on the TMDSAS? Not very, but be aware that interviewers can see your list.

4) What are "minor traffic violations"?

Minor traffic violations are those offenses not subject to a jail sentence. Types of minor traffic violations include speeding, failure to wear a seat belt, illegal parking, failure to stop, driving with an expired or invalid driver license that has not been suspended or revoked, and disobeying traffic lights signs or signals.

Examples of violations of law not considered minor traffic violations are: driving while intoxicated (DWI), driving under the influence (DUI), driving while license is suspended (DWLS), failure to appear (FTA), reckless driving, open container, and assault with a motor vehicle. These types of violations must be reported on your application.

5) Can you explain the Texas acceptance/match setup? TMDSAS opens in early May. Texas schools begin offering interviews in late June to early August (it varies). Interviews are handed out until around November or maybe December. No in-state acceptances are offered until November 15th, which is the beginning of the "pre-match period" that continues until December 31st. At this time, admissions are rolling. Applicants are permitted to hold as many prematch offers as they receive and continue interviewing elsewhere if you have more interviews lined up, but are encouraged to withdraw from any school they are sure they don't want to attend. You are permitted to keep all of these offers until the match. By a day in January (the 21st I think?) you are required to rank all schools you've interviewed at (they appear in a window on TMDSAS) in order of preference. On February 1st, a computer automatically matches candidates to their highest ranked school that gave them an acceptance, and auto-withdraws them from lower ranked schools, according to an algorithm. If you were holding multiple offers, you are thus withdrawn from schools you ranked lower. If you didn't have an offer, you have a chance to match to a school that didn't offer you yet. Interviewees who didn't match are put on waitlists if deemed "acceptable", and may or may not be told their position on the waitlist. After this point, based on any further movement of the classes (particularly from students withdrawing after picking up an OOS acceptance) acceptances are once again given out on a rolling basis. You can technically still pick up an acceptance until classes begin in late August (early September?), but it's considered rare for this to happen after May 15th.

If you do receive a match on Match Day, you cannot be pulled off the waitlist at any TMDSAS school past June 1. Only students who did not match anywhere can still be accepted after that date.

6) How do I enter in a zero credit class (or a W or an Audit)? TMDSAS won't let me enter 0 for credit hours. The 0 credit hour courses do not affect GPA whatsoever, so just leave them out, even though they show up on your transcript. Alternatively, if you enter a 1, TMDSAS will correct them when they verify your official transcript.

7) Is Pre-Calculus included in the BCMP GPA? Even though all math other than Calculus and Statistics are categorized as Other Science, it is still included in the BCPM GPA, per a call by gonnif to TMDSAS.

If you have FAQ's you would like posted, feel free to send me a PM with the question and answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Extracurricular/Leisure:

I have no idea what sort of activities belong in this section. I never participated in sports (have 0 athletic ability), or any sort of organized activity outside of school. Do hobbies count? Ie: extensive traveling, reading, & cooking. In high school, I was president of our book club but we didn't have anything like that at college.

Do I leave it blank?
Any advice would be helpful!

Last edited:
Hobbies = Leisure
Travelling, reading, and cooking can go in this section.

Leave high school activities off the application unless they continued while you were in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a tricky section. If you play a sport on a regular basis or seriously play an instrument, that should certainly be included in my opinion. But "like to cook" or "like to read" are a bit tougher. What do you put for hours per week and start and end dates? I suppose everyone spends a few hours per week cooking and reading. Unless you can write something compelling in the 300 character description, the adcoms probably aren't going to be very moved.

It's a tricky section. If you play a sport on a regular basis or seriously play an instrument, that should certainly be included in my opinion. But "like to cook" or "like to read" are a bit tougher. What do you put for hours per week and start and end dates? I suppose everyone spends a few hours per week cooking and reading. Unless you can write something compelling in the 300 character description, the adcoms probably aren't going to be very moved.
Disagree.

I put reading, travelling, and playing badminton. My interviews asked me what books I was reading and where I have travelled to. Good topic of conversations compared to the typical.

Can in no way hurt OP, can only help. You'd be surprised what some of the interviewers pay attention to. Nothing tough or tricky about it.

Merged thread with master TMDSAS thread for a more centralized location for app questions.

Disagree.

I put reading, travelling, and playing badminton. My interviews asked me what books I was reading and where I have travelled to. Good topic of conversations compared to the typical.

Can in no way hurt OP, can only help. You'd be surprised what some of the interviewers pay attention to. Nothing tough or tricky about it.

For reading and traveling, how do you enter start and end dates/hour per week? @AnotherLawyer makes a good point, but since those are things I'm passionate about, I would love to find a way to include them.

For reading and traveling, how do you enter start and end dates/hour per week? @AnotherLawyer makes a good point, but since those are things I'm passionate about, I would love to find a way to include them.
Yeah, sure! The dates/hours don't have to be very specific and can extend into the future if you plan to continue those things after applying up until August 2018.

Travelling can be: 10 hrs per week, 600 hours total start: August 2013 end: June 2018. This is just so you have something to put in those fields. If course they don't have to be exact and make total sense. I mean 10 hours of travel a week?

If it's significant to you add it. You can pm me for more specifics because I put travelling under this category.

Hello!

I have a quick question. For the Extracurricular/Leisure activities can I add the school clubs I joined that were just involved in providing community service? Or should this section only be used for clubs that are not related to school at all?

Hello!

I have a quick question. For the Extracurricular/Leisure activities can I add the college clubs I joined that were just involved in providing community service?
Yep! I added the pre med organization I was a part of and involved in.

How should we format essays? Hit enter twice and space five times between paragraphs? Line breaks do not work for activities sections (not that we'd want them)?

Thank you! One more question. Let's say that I did a certain leisure activity for 20 hours per month as an undergraduate but now as a graduate I have a bit more free time and do that certain leisure activity for 40 hours per month. Should I list the leisure activity twice (once for the 20 hours per month and once for the 40 hours per month) or just write in the description the date I increased the number of hours for that leisure activity?

Thank you! One more question. Let's say that I did a certain leisure activity for 20 hours per month as an undergraduate but now as a graduate I have a bit more free time and do that certain leisure activity for 40 hours per month. Should I list the leisure activity twice (once for the 20 hours per month and once for the 40 hours per month) or just write in the description the date I increased the number of hours for that leisure activity?
Just put average hours per month...list it once and put it down as 30 hr/month. Then in the description you can be more specific about how you increased involvement of said activity once you obtained more free time.

Members don't see this ad :)
How should we format essays? Hit enter twice and space five times between paragraphs? Line breaks do not work for activities sections (not that we'd want them)?
Every space (even between words) counts as a character just FYI.
There are no spaces between paragraphs in the personal statement section, just one big paragraph. It's formatted that way regardless of the way you format it in a word document for example.

Edit: All of the essays will appear as one big, long paragraph and it's completely fine :)

I have three questions:

1. Does Astronomy (listed under my school as PHYS) count as an "other science"?

2. I took anatomy and physiology at a separate college than my primary undergraduate school. The course appears on my transcript for my primary undergraduate school with the grade I earned, but with an asterisk indicating that it does not count towards my GPA. I have indicated the grade and course for the school that I took it at. Should I enter the grade for my primary undergraduate school with the grade or as a transfer credit?

3. My school mailed out my transcript on May 2. TMDSAS has still not indicated that they received the transcript. What is the normal time period for processing transcripts and/or should I send another copy of my transcript?

Every space (even between words) counts as a character just FYI.
There are no spaces between paragraphs in the personal statement section, just one big paragraph. It's formatted that way regardless of the way you format it in a word document for example.

Edit: All of the essays will appear as one big, long paragraph and it's completely fine :)

I know, but when you go and view as PDF in the beginning of the app it does show line breaks if you use enter to make them....

I have three questions:

2. I took anatomy and physiology at a separate college than my primary undergraduate school. The course appears on my transcript for my primary undergraduate school with the grade I earned, but with an asterisk indicating that it does not count towards my GPA. I have indicated the grade and course for the school that I took it at. Should I enter the grade for my primary undergraduate school with the grade or as a transfer credit?

3. My school mailed out my transcript on May 2. TMDSAS has still not indicated that they received the transcript. What is the normal time period for processing transcripts and/or should I send another copy of my transcript?
You will need to get a transcript sent from each college where you have taken classes. List those two classes as transfer credits. TMDSAS will see the grades from your second school on its official transcript.

I know, but when you go and view as PDF in the beginning of the app it does show line breaks if you use enter to make them....

Use line breaks so the essay does not appear as one big paragraph

Idk why people are suggesting otherwise lol. One huge paragraph would be a massive pain to read

Use line breaks so the essay does not appear as one big paragraph

Idk why people are suggesting otherwise lol. One huge paragraph would be a massive pain to read

Try using line breaks and saving your work and let me know how it works out for you...

The line breaks saved and there is a clear break between each paragraph
If it works then fine. I actually used all 5000 characters, which was hard enough. I wrote one big paragraph and new many others who did.

Line breaks and one big paragraph = doesn't matter.

I have three questions:

My school mailed my transcript the same day, it also still not received

Do we need to put contact info in our activities?

Has anyone started the secondaries yet? Can you post the questions?

Some of the secondaries ask to describe the type of setting you envision your medical career in. If I'm not sure what specialty or setting I would want to practice in, is it acceptable to write an essay around that? In a sense, keeping an open mind until getting appropriate experiences in medical school. Most people change their minds anyway once they're in school.

Some of the secondaries ask to describe the type of setting you envision your medical career in. If I'm not sure what specialty or setting I would want to practice in, is it acceptable to write an essay around that? In a sense, keeping an open mind until getting appropriate experiences in medical school. Most people change their minds anyway once they're in school.

I think they understand a lot of students will change their minds. Use your previous medical experiences to best answer the question imo

I think it would be best if you could try to answer the question as best at you can. Though the adcoms would understand that most people have no idea what kind of specialty they would want to go into as of right now, you should be able to give some sort og idea what kind of setting or environment you envision yourself practicing in.

Setting is a broad term which could include things like rural vs urban, working with undeserved populations like homeless, minorities, refugees, low income, etc. It could also include the type of work, academic interests, public health, global health, clinical research of you're passionate about that, etc.

Secondaries give the schools a better chance to decide whether they will invite you to an interview or not. They are specific and often are based on the school's mission and vission. Schools can use tho info to determine if an applicant is a good fit.

All in all, having clear and defined goals is important as well.

For the Extracurricular and Leisure section, should I repeat any extensive volunteering/tutoring position that I previously listed in those sections? I don't really have too many other serious time commitments besides these as these already take up a good amount of my time.

Also, if I redeemed AP credit(earned during HS) during a Junior term, should make the status Pre Freshman or Junior?

Thanks in advance!

For the Extracurricular and Leisure section, should I repeat any extensive volunteering/tutoring position that I previously listed in those sections? I don't really have too many other serious time commitments besides these as these already take up a good amount of my time.

Also, if I redeemed AP credit(earned during HS) during a Junior term, should make the status Pre Freshman or Junior?

Thanks in advance!
There's no need to put volunteering or tutoring in that section. The extracurricular/leisure section is meant for hobbies or activities you do for fun but are also passionate about. Do you play a sport, travel, read extensively, spend time learning a different language, karate, knit, etc. ?

As for the AP credit, will you be obtaining a transcript from your high school?

Edit: I thought about it more after replying. Categorize the class under where you took the class. If it was taken at your high school, then I would believe you would place it as pre freshman l. After all, there's a reason why the option is available.

Do you guys think it would be worth adding my social fraternity to my Extracurricular/Leisure time? I realize there are some negative stigmas associated with Greek life. In terms of involvement, I was the secretary for my pledge class during my pledgeship, and I have helped out with a philanthropy event. Other than that, it's usually an organization where I hangout with other guys a few times a week.

Your opinions?

Thanks!

Do you guys think it would be worth adding my social fraternity to my Extracurricular/Leisure time? I realize there are some negative stigmas associated with Greek life. In terms of involvement, I was the secretary for my pledge class during my pledgeship, and I have helped out with a philanthropy event. Other than that, it's usually an organization where I hangout with other guys a few times a week.

Your opinions?

Thanks!
Seems like you could put this under leadership.

Your opinions?

Thanks!

I mentioned my leadership positions in my fraternity primarily because we did a lot of philanthropy and service projects. One of my exec positions focused on promoting mental health awareness and actually aligns with my aspiration to be a psychiatrist. IMO, if you were super involved and demonstrated leadership, I don't think it's that much of a negative (better than just listing it off as another thing you were involved in, at least you demonstrated commmitment and leadership).

For advanced Biology coursework, do we classify it as BioLec or OthSci? (Since each prereq seems to have a corresponding classification, and then there is OthSci and NonSci)

For advanced Biology coursework, do we classify it as BioLec or OthSci? (Since each prereq seems to have a corresponding classification, and then there is OthSci and NonSci)
Definitely biology since it's taught by the biology department. If the class begins with BIO or BIOL it's under biology.

So BioLec fits all, but the only chemistry is GenChem? I guess bio courses are a lot more common?

So BioLec fits all, but the only chemistry is GenChem? I guess bio courses are a lot more common?
No.

Organic chemistry, physical chemistry, proteins, biochem (sometimes), etc. are other types of chem classes with their respective titles.

Last edited:

False. TMDSAS spells out exactly how to classify courses on page 24 of the applicant handbook. General Chemistry includes courses beyond Gen Chem I & II. You'll also note that there are courses under other science and even non-science that could be offered through a biology department. Just apply the guidance in the handbook. No need to overthink this.

I concur that all applicants should read thoroughly through the TMDSAS handbook at least once.

But we're still here to answer questions of course :)

This is wrong too. There are separate categories for organic chemistry and biochemistry. Again, I highly recommend people refer to the detailed applicant handbook when in doubt.
Yes. I mean they all fall into the BCM GPA calculation as they are all considered chemistry courses but yes they have specific categories as such.

Thanks guys, I've read the handbook, no need to get snippy. I noticed the ochem and biochem classifications, I was just puzzled thay there was only a single bio classification.