*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys, I've read the handbook, no need to get snippy. I noticed the ochem and biochem classifications, I was just puzzled thay there was only a single bio classification.
Sorry if it came of that way...

Hope this application season is successful for you. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Same to you! And thanks for the info.

When do Texas schools begin to download the TMDSAS applications? I know AMCAS does so around June 24th...

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so question: How come there arent more threads about 2017-2018 cycle on here? Most of the 2016-2017 school specific threads were created in April of last year. It's almost and this is pretty much the only 2017-2018 thread haha

Okay so question: How come there arent more threads about 2017-2018 cycle on here? Most of the 2016-2017 school specific threads were created in April of last year. It's almost and this is pretty much the only 2017-2018 thread haha
wait a week or two they will pop up

Hey guys! I am scheduled to take my mcat on june 30th but i really don't feel ready. I am planning on pushing it back to july 21st. do you think this would put me at a disadvantage.

stats:
gpa: (both science and overall) 3.63
100+ hours of clinical volunteer
40+ hours of shadowing
150+ of community volunteer
held some officer positions but nothing like president.
research: 2 poster presentations, and about to submit for pub (probably like 500+ hours of research)
founder of a charity project where we sold knitted accessories and donated proceeds to a special needs org (but it lasted like one semester and we raised 500$ profit)

Under which category should I put a non-science-related unpaid internship (from before I decided on pre-med)?

Hey guys! I am scheduled to take my mcat on june 30th but i really don't feel ready. I am planning on pushing it back to july 21st. do you think this would put me at a disadvantage.

Keep in mind that this means you won't get your scores until mid-august, putting you in the middle-late group of people submitting. With texas, it's better to apply earlier, however definitely take the MCAT when you're ready. It may be in your benefit to apply a little later with a better score.

EDIT: DEFINITELY have everything else done and submitted, that way the schools will look at your app as soon as the MCAT scores come in.

Under which category should I put a non-science-related unpaid internship (from before I decided on pre-med)?
Perhaps employment? Maybe even leadership depending on how you can spin the internship, and what you did while you were there.

Perhaps employment? Maybe even leadership depending on how you can spin the internship, and what you did while you were there.

Thanks! Decided on research, since I just remembered I completed a small research report there. Don't think it's employment since it was unpaid.

Thanks! Decided on research, since I just remembered I completed a small research report there. Don't think it's employment since it was unpaid.
Don't forget that you can double dip and put the same activity in more than one category :)
I think you can be "employed" but not necessarily get paid. It all depends on what you did for your internship.

Is an abstract published for a major conference at which I did not present (my name is simply on the abstract) considered a publication that I can include in my application? Is this significant enough?

Is an abstract published for a major conference at which I did not present (my name is simply on the abstract) considered a publication that I can include in my application? Is this significant enough?

I would say yes, as long as you know enough about the publication to discuss it at possible interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I have question about how TMDSAS calculates our GPA if we have a GPA from community college as well as our undergrad university? For instance do they look at the combined GPA or do they only significantly look at the GPA from the undergrad university?

Second question: do we need to put high school AP classes under our courses?

Hey guys! I have question about how TMDSAS calculates our GPA if we have a GPA from community college as well as our undergrad university? For instance do they look at the combined GPA or do they only significantly look at the GPA from the undergrad university?

Second question: do we need to put high school AP classes under our courses?
They will calculate the GPA including both the CC and university. You would need to list dual-enrollment classes taken at high school along with the CC or college at which you got credit, and get a transcript from every CC or college you have credits from sent to TMDSAS.
The AP rules are spelled out on TMDSAS application instructions. It depends on whether you were granted college credits based on your AP scores in high school. Take a close look at what to do here: under heading Education and Course Type TMDSAS Medical: Section Overview

Does anybody know the mail-in address for Letters of Evaluation? Want to provide my letter writer the address so he can mail it in, but there wasn't a specific address on the TMDSAS website.

Thanks

Does anybody know the mail-in address for Letters of Evaluation? Want to provide my letter writer the address so he can mail it in, but there wasn't a specific address on the TMDSAS website.

Thanks
I believe you can use interfolio and they will upload it to your account

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Hi guys! I have a question about repeating activities under different categories, which TMDSAS seems to encourage. My question is, when repeating activities, should I repeat the description as well? For some activities, I could try writing different descriptions for different categories, but in some cases this doesn't work. For example, hospital volunteering likely belongs under both "Healthcare Activities" and "Community Service", but the actual description of what I did would still be the same. Would it be fine if I just copied and pasted the description for the same activity listed under multiple categories?

Hi guys! I have a question about repeating activities under different categories, which TMDSAS seems to encourage. My question is, when repeating activities, should I repeat the description as well? For some activities, I could try writing different descriptions for different categories, but in some cases this doesn't work. For example, hospital volunteering likely belongs under both "Healthcare Activities" and "Community Service", but the actual description of what I did would still be the same. Would it be fine if I just copied and pasted the description for the same activity listed under multiple categories?
Totally fine!

Hi Guys/Gals:

Already submitted primary and it is being verified. No transmission yet. But just got hired as scribe, but did not list in primary since was hired after submission. Already submitted secondaries for required schools, UTSW, TX A&M, TCOM.

Don't know the update policies with these 3 schools and also the other schools without secondaries (UTMB, UT McGovern, UT San Antonio). Should I send emails to them updating anticipated hours from scribe position up to Aug. 2018?

If received secondary invites from other schools, I will mention in secondaries.

Thanks!!!

Hi Guys/Gals:

Already submitted primary and it is being verified. No transmission yet. But just got hired as scribe, but did not list in primary since was hired after submission. Already submitted secondaries for required schools, UTSW, TX A&M, TCOM.

Don't know the update policies with these 3 schools and also the other schools without secondaries (UTMB, UT McGovern, UT San Antonio). Should I send emails to them updating anticipated hours from scribe position up to Aug. 2018?

If received secondary invites from other schools, I will mention in secondaries.

Thanks!!!
The few schools that invite applicants to complete the secondary like UTRGV, Dell, Texas Tech Lubbock, and Texas Tech El Paso, you could indeed always add that into your secondary for these schools if there is space to mention something like this.

Otherwise you would probably just wait until your app is complete to send an update. Some schools., however, will not accept updates until after you have interviewed (UT Houston, for example).

There's no need to include hours you plan to work if/when you do send an update. That can always change and you can't be sure if you'll even work as a scribe until August 2018.

Hi Guys/Gals:

Thanks!!!

Try contacting TMDSAS (call them!) and ask if there is a way to update this information. They are always super nice and helpful when I call.

General information on secondary essays:

*Dell Med is the only Texas school that screens your application first and only sends out invitations to write secondary essays to SOME applicants.
*UTSW expects you to find the secondary essay topics on your own on TMDSAS and submit them any time after May 1 - don't wait for a link or email from them. However, they will not consider your application complete until you have submitted the secondary!
*Baylor takes secondary essays from all applicants, but they can be submitted after July 1
*Texas Tech Paul Foster, Texas Tech Lubbock, UTRGV, and Texas A&M offer secondary essay to all applicants after 5/1 (except UTRGV after 6/1)
*No secondary application is required at McGovern Med (Houston), UTMB (Galveston) or UTSA (San Antonio).

Reactions: 1 user
General information on secondary essays:

*Dell Med is the only Texas school that screens your application first and only sends out invitations to write secondary essays to SOME applicants.
*UTSW expects you to find the secondary essay topics on your own on TMDSAS and submit them any time after May 1 - don't wait for a link or email from them. However, they will not consider your application complete until you have submitted the secondary!
*Baylor takes secondary essays from all applicants, but they can be submitted after July 1
*Texas Tech Paul Foster, Texas Tech Lubbock, UTRGV, and Texas A&M offer secondary essay to all applicants after 5/1 (except UTRGV after 6/1)
*No secondary application is required at McGovern Med (Houston), UTMB (Galveston) or UTSA (San Antonio).
UTRGV definitely screens as well, though not as rigorous as Dell.

When you upload the photo on TMDSAS does it get turned sideways for anyone else? Is this acceptable?

If I took a class for fun (such as a fitness class like soccer or an elective like piano) and they aren't required in my degree, even though it's technically "curricular" could I add them to my leisure section

Under "Course Work", what is credit hours? For example if I made a B in the class is that 3 credit hours?

Under "Course Work", what is credit hours? For example if I made a B in the class is that 3 credit hours?
Nope. It's the number of credits that the course was worth. Like a typical lecture is 3 credits while a lab is 1-2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

1. I am taking a class this summer at a college I have not previously taken any classes at before. Does TMDSAS still need the transcript from this school? It would essentially be blank until I complete the course in July

1. I am taking a class this summer at a college I have not previously taken any classes at before. Does TMDSAS still need the transcript from this school? It would essentially be blank until I complete the course in July
Put it under planned courses

Has anyone from UT Austin had their transcript received yet?

If I'm repeating an activity in the planned activities section, can I use the same description or do I need to write something original?

Question: I attended a pre-health conference at UTMB my freshman year of college. It was just a day long event, so should I bother mentioning it in my activities? I was wondering if UTMB might like that I went to it.

Hey all, I am lacking a lot in research experience... I have taken a group study research course - (no real research, basically broke down multiple scientific studies and discussed methods...etc) and I was employed as a "research intern" for an engineering company. I created a bunch of SOP's from scratch, so the only real research I had to do was on the equipment and how it worked/how to make changeover procedures faster. I'm not really sure if I should include this in the research experience area? It is not exactly scientific research

Hey TX SDNers,

My paranoia has begun. Primary verified/sent (late May) and 3 self-secondaries completed (UTSW, TxAM, TCOM), 1 secondary received after primary received completed (TT-El Paso, but not TT-Lubbock yet), but no invites for secondaries after initial review of primary (Dell, UT Rio Grande) yet.

My question is has anyone who had their primary verified in early May received invites for secondaries from Dell or UT Rio?

Thanks!!

No one has received secondaries from Dell and Lubbock. I received UTRGV secondary on 6/1

Under "Colleges Attended," is anyone getting a blank underneath "Primary Major" even though you entered in a major? It's bothering me.
upload_2017-6-10_10-54-27.png

What kind of timeline would I be looking at if I submit in the first week of July? Is that too late?

Go to TMDSAS: For Advisors and you will see in the downloadable pdf that in 2017 those who submitted in July had the highest percentage of submission at 23% and received the second most interviews at 27%. So it won't be too late.

P.S. If that is your real name in your avatar, I suggest you change it to something more anonymous.

Hi all,

I know in the FAQ it says "Even though all math other than Calculus and Statistics are categorized as Other Science, it is still included in the BCPM GPA, per a call by gonnif to TMDSAS.", but I just submitted my app and noticed that my computed BCPM GPA was much lower than I had calculated it to be (and I did factor in the removal of +/-). I am pretty sure this is because they did not count my "OthSci" courses in the BCPM designation. Has this been anyone else's experience?

Well, I voided my exam yesterday. Was getting 509 average on my full lengths but I floundered during the C/P section of the real deal and ended up rushing through the second half of it with 30 seconds per question. I'm leaving for Rome for a month long study abroad program and won't be back until August, so now I'm thinking my best bet is to apply next cycle :(

I had everything ready to apply but my MCAT, but I don't think it's worth applying at the end of the cycle after taking a month long study break. I guess I'll be shooting for a 515+ in January and be able to apply with even better ECs and essays...

Well, I voided my exam yesterday. Was getting 509 average on my full lengths but I floundered during the C/P section of the real deal and ended up rushing through the second half of it with 30 seconds per question. I'm leaving for Rome for a month long study abroad program and won't be back until August, so now I'm thinking my best bet is to apply next cycle :(

I had everything ready to apply but my MCAT, but I don't think it's worth applying at the end of the cycle after taking a month long study break. I guess I'll be shooting for a 515+ in January and be able to apply with even better ECs and essays...
Nothing wrong with a gap year.

Good luck and have fun in Italy!

Reactions: 1 users
What do we put for end time/total time for activities that we don't forsee ending? Things on our leisure activities list for example?

Hi all,

I know in the FAQ it says "Even though all math other than Calculus and Statistics are categorized as Other Science, it is still included in the BCPM GPA, per a call by gonnif to TMDSAS.", but I just submitted my app and noticed that my computed BCPM GPA was much lower than I had calculated it to be (and I did factor in the removal of +/-). I am pretty sure this is because they did not count my "OthSci" courses in the BCPM designation. Has this been anyone else's experience?

Update: I emailed TMDSAS and wasn't able to get a straight answer as to whether or not they would count "Other Science" courses in the BCPM GPA. I know they don't count it in the automatically computed BCPM GPA that appears immediately after submission. The response I got from TMDSAS was:

"One of the processes we go through when we begin to process an application is to review the course classifications and to make sure courses are accurately marked as being a part of the BCPM. We have not begun this process for your application. It is highly likely that during our processing portion, that course classifications may be altered and definitely the BCPM can show differently after we complete the processing."

i'm having trouble understanding the instructions about AP credits..the instructions say "AP/CLEP credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted." So if my transcript only lists "Advanced Placement Exam" - 3.00 Credit Hours, I should not enter this as a course??