*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm having trouble understanding the instructions about AP credits..the instructions say "AP/CLEP credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted." So if my transcript only lists "Advanced Placement Exam" - 3.00 Credit Hours, I should not enter this as a course??

Is that all your transcript says? Is it like that for all your AP credits or just for some? For me, my institution listed specific courses for some AP exams on my transcript (e.g. AP Biology --> BIOL 101, AP Chemistry --> CHEM 101) but gave "lump sum credit" for other AP exams (e.g. AP US History --> 3 credits in HIST department). It sounds like your designation is the latter, so I'm not sure it will be accepted. However, you can still enter it as a course - it just won't be counted as a pre-requisite class.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that all your transcript says? Is it like that for all your AP credits or just for some? For me, my institution listed specific courses for some AP exams on my transcript (e.g. AP Biology --> BIOL 101, AP Chemistry --> CHEM 101) but gave "lump sum credit" for other AP exams (e.g. AP US History --> 3 credits in HIST department). It sounds like your designation is the latter, so I'm not sure it will be accepted. However, you can still enter it as a course - it just won't be counted as a pre-requisite class.

yes, all the transcript says is "advanced placement exam"; i received 3 credits in english for it but no where on the transcript is this mentioned. its not a big deal because i have an advanced composition course that should cover my english requirements but i just wanted to make sure i didnt need to add this as a course

Do schools receive updates on our TMDSAS app? For example, if I forgot to tick "Tech El Paso" when I submitted my application and just requested to add it today, will all the other schools be notified? I heard from somewhere that schools look down upon applicants if they don't apply to all Texas schools, including DO's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do schools receive updates on our TMDSAS app? For example, if I forgot to tick "Tech El Paso" when I submitted my application and just requested to add it today, will all the other schools be notified? I heard from somewhere that schools look down upon applicants if they don't apply to all Texas schools, including DO's.
No, the other Texas schools won't see where you applied. Feel free to add on. Unless you strongly don't want one or more of the schools for a good reason, I usually recommend that Texans apply to all the TMDSAS schools.

yes, all the transcript says is "advanced placement exam"; i received 3 credits in english for it but no where on the transcript is this mentioned. its not a big deal because i have an advanced composition course that should cover my english requirements but i just wanted to make sure i didnt need to add this as a course

If it is on your transcript you have to put it under college coursework, if it is not on your transcript you do not.

EDIT: reread your initial post, if your transcript said only AP test 3 hour credit, you SHOULD put that under college courses. If it's on transcript, should go on tmdsas regardless of how well labeled it is on transcript

Last edited:

I don't think "looked down upon" is the best way to put it. I do know some schools will ask you in interviews why you didn't apply to certain schools. I think it is perfectly acceptable to say either you want to go into a certain specialty that might be more restricted for a DO or maybe you might not want to be so far from your family if you are not applying based on location, these types of answers, etc. i highly doubt schools will not give interviews based on this, however they have every right to ask the reasoning behind this so be prepared to have one.

What do we put for end time/total time for activities that we don't forsee ending? Things on our leisure activities list for example?

I would put it both under current activities (say how many hours with the dates you have done up until this point) and also put it under your future activities as well (hours you intend on, plus intended dates).

On my app I put like 5 different things on future activities with the word "tentative" in front of it. Schools do not expect you to know down to the hour what your activities will be!

Last edited:
Incoming MS1 to a Texas medical school starting this year! Born and raised Texas and attended Texas undergrad. I applied only in Texas to all the schools (including Baylor). I interviewed at a chunk of them and went thru this process not too long ago so HMU if you have questions!!

And be prepared to have patience during this long process! Good luck everyone!

I'm a lil bit concerned/confused about the biochem requirement. It says 3 semester hours/5 quarter hours. I took one quarter which is 4 hours, but it covers all the topics listed in TMDSAS. Why is it listed as 5 hours? My adviser also said that some people from my school list the 3rd quarter of organic chem as biochem - is this possible through TMDSAS if I already submitted?

UT Southwestern has a full year (6 hours) requirement for English.

"Any course approved by English department that fulfills general education English requirement of baccalaureate degree. Remedial or developmental courses or "English as a Second Language" courses are not accepted."

Would a Freshman seminar class, that was mainly a literature and writing class, count towards this and other schools with English requirements even though it is not from the English department? I'm nervous I over looked the English pre-reqs, and need to go back and take an additional English class.

Thanks

I trained new hires in a research lab I work at, but I do not have an official leadership title (like lab manager). Is it appropriate to list this under leadership, or is best to mention it in the description for the research activity?

I trained new hires in a research lab I work at, but I do not have an official leadership title (like lab manager). Is it appropriate to list this under leadership, or is best to mention it in the description for the research activity?
I think this demonstrates leadership for sure!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely list in leadership :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you! Another question:
I know that in AMCAS healthcare-related activities would be ones in which you can smell the patient. Otherwise, list it as non-healthcare volunteering. But what about TMDSAS? I have had several volunteering roles that are definitely related to healthcare (volunteering at events for medical professionals, for example) even though I was not close enough to smell patients. It just feels weird listing it under "non-healthcare related community service."

I just submitted my app 2 days ago. Is this early or kinda late?

Thanks to both of you! Another question:
I know that in AMCAS healthcare-related activities would be ones in which you can smell the patient. Otherwise, list it as non-healthcare volunteering. But what about TMDSAS? I have had several volunteering roles that are definitely related to healthcare (volunteering at events for medical professionals, for example) even though I was not close enough to smell patients. It just feels weird listing it under "non-healthcare related community service."

You can double dip in TMDSAS. So if you feel like some aspects are non-healthcare related, put it in that section. If you feel as though aspects are also health-care related, you can put it under that section too. You might want to adjust the description so that the schools can understand why you placed it in both.

For the Personal Characteristics/diversity essay, should it be structured with an introduction and conclusion? I'm running low on characters, and have structured this like a diversity secondary essay.

UT Southwestern has a full year (6 hours) requirement for English.

"Any course approved by English department that fulfills general education English requirement of baccalaureate degree. Remedial or developmental courses or "English as a Second Language" courses are not accepted."

Would a Freshman seminar class, that was mainly a literature and writing class, count towards this and other schools with English requirements even though it is not from the English department? I'm nervous I over looked the English pre-reqs, and need to go back and take an additional English class.

Thanks

I had a freshman year writing seminar class too, and I counted it as an English class. I think even for classes that aren't strictly in the English department, as long as they were writing intensive and in a humanities field like history or philosophy, you can always appeal to have it counted. In my case, my undergrad's pre-med committee confirmed with us that our freshman year writing seminar class would count as an English credit for medical schools.

Submitted on 5/13, still waiting to be verified. Should I be worried?

Last edited:
They also do an update on Twitter that gets posted to tmdsas.com. I think it said they were processing apps complete on 6/12 today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Does anyone know which TX schools offer interviews first? I know UTMB has already begun, but I want to submit secondaries in the order that schools offer interviews.

Will anyone answer questions about resident status? I have done my research but want to know what others think. If this is not the right place I can ask somewhere else. Thank you!

Will anyone answer questions about resident status? I have done my research but want to know what others think. If this is not the right place I can ask somewhere else. Thank you!

The best place to ask is TMDSAS. You can call them and they will talk to you. You don't have to give them your name, so there is really no downside. With that said, I am happy to try to help with your question.

Hi y'all, this thread is pretty quiet so I'm going to make a deadline reminder post here.
I think most of you have submitted your TMDSAS application and are now part of the long waiting game, doing secondaries, and waiting for interview invitations.

Final deadline for submitting your TMDSAS application is September 29 for all Texas MD schools except UTRGV (deadline 10/16). Baylor deadline, on AMCAS application, is 11/1.

If you are still working on it, wrap it up as soon as you can!

Hi y'all, this thread is pretty quiet so I'm going to make a deadline reminder post here.
I think most of you have submitted your TMDSAS application and are now part of the long waiting game, doing secondaries, and waiting for interview invitations.

Final deadline for submitting your TMDSAS application is September 29 for all Texas MD schools except UTRGV (deadline 10/16). Baylor deadline, on AMCAS application, is 11/1.

If you are still working on it, wrap it up as soon as you can!

Along these lines, I made the following graph just because I was bored (read: anxiously refreshing my email) and trying to figure out if I had turned my application in early enough. X-Axis is when your application was submitted, not transmitted. These are the numbers so far for 2017-2018 cycle with the assumption that the processing time is proportional to the volume of applications.

XJpabZE.png

Last edited:
TMDSAS deadline for submitting primary application is today at 5 pm. Hope you've submitted before now but if not, send it!

Inspired by @JustAddWatah, I created an updated chart on the TMDSAS reported processing times this year based on data from their twitter this cycle.
X = day submitted and Y = number of days until application is being "processed" since the submit date.
I hope future applicants can use it as a reference to estimate the optimal time to apply.

upload_2017-10-19_16-8-15.png

Hey everyone, my application was submitted 7/20, and transmitted on 8/30. I had all my secondaries completed and submitted by 9/4.

I know that is pretty late in the cycle so if anyone has any knowledge on when applicants who submitted around that time heard back, i'd really appreciate it. From reading other forums, it seems like people who submitted then got their applications reviewed mid-November, and II late November-December. Would anyone be able to confirm this or give any feedback?

Thank you