Official Thread: Ohio State Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
shiraz84 said:
Agreed, and thanks to gunit as well. :)

Congrats Shorty43, and Amy for getting those scholarships (I'm very jealous ;) ).

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you out Gunit!! we really appreciate it.

Shorty - what kinda scholarship were you lucky enough to get?? :)

Members don't see this ad.

TripleDegree said:
Sorry, didn't mean to leave you out Gunit!! we really appreciate it.

Shorty - what kinda scholarship were you lucky enough to get?? :)

Yeah not lucky enough to get a scholarship :thumbdown: . LoL. I think Shiraz was congratulating Amy for her scholarship.

Thanks to the M2/M3s as well. Its much appreciated.

No one on has looked into buying a place huh?

Tripledegree - yep - it was the coveted Dean's scholarship. I have no idea why they decided to give it to me, but hey - I'll take it! I got another $2500 from a local scholarship from my home area.

Shorty - My husband and I made an offer on a house today, but its not in Columbus. I'll have about a 40 minute commute. My agent is pretty good and he can access Columbus listings. I can ask him if he can recommend an agent in Columbus, if you would like. I also just picked up a copy of the Columbus Homes Illustrated (sale listings). If you want, I can mail it to you. PM me with your address.

Real estate values in the right areas of Columbus have been steadily increasing, especially in the suburbs.

Thanks for the congrats on the scholarships and thanks to the M2's/3's for giving advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone :oops: I'm glad I can be of help

And congrats on the scholarship Amy!!

Shorty43 said:
Yeah not lucky enough to get a scholarship :thumbdown: . LoL. I think Shiraz was congratulating Amy for her scholarship.

Thanks to the M2/M3s as well. Its much appreciated.

No one on has looked into buying a place huh?

Heh, same here on the scholarship luck. :( Sorry that my wording on the previous post was a little ambiguous. :oops:

Oh, and as far as laptop approval goes - I talked to Wasif at the IS department, and he said that the minimum requirements are not totally strict. I asked him if a 1.6 GHz processor would suffice (min. req. is 1.7+, and the upgrade from 1.6->1.7 on most laptops is a big jump since 1.6 is standard on a lot of laptops), and he said that it would probably get approved. You have to e-mail them with your system specifications, and then physically bring the laptop in to them to verify it once you are there.

Vomitonme said:
I'm coming in a little late, but I just got the call from the admissions director that I got in from the waitlist.

I'm just really relieved and excited to be at OSU this fall. I hope to see you guys and hangout.

Congratulation, Vomitonme!!!

I remember you on the other board regarding the progress on the "deferred list". I am glad you are in as well....

shiraz84 said:
Heh, same here on the scholarship luck. :( Sorry that my wording on the previous post was a little ambiguous. :oops:

Oh, and as far as laptop approval goes - I talked to Wasif at the IS department, and he said that the minimum requirements are not totally strict. I asked him if a 1.6 GHz processor would suffice (min. req. is 1.7+, and the upgrade from 1.6->1.7 on most laptops is a big jump since 1.6 is standard on a lot of laptops), and he said that it would probably get approved. You have to e-mail them with your system specifications, and then physically bring the laptop in to them to verify it once you are there.

Hey shiraz,

What exactly do you have to do to get your laptop approved? Do you have the email address where I should send my system specifications?

Thanks.

The impression I got is that y'all don't really have a choice about the laptops. They're going to give them to you, and you're going to pay for it. kinda like the new larkins (dubbed the taj mahal of recreation centers by time magazine) and the new ohio union.

student council website

welcome to cow town. unfortunately i'll be on an away rotation (holler san diego) during your orientation festivities, but hopefully i'll get to meet you guys sometime during the year.

they're also doing a new thing during anatomy this year with correlations to ultrasound. it's being started by one of the ER docs (dr. bahner) who's one of the biggest advocates for students in the med center and also a huge advocate of ultrasound. basically you'll meet in a small group every three weeks with a 4th year who knows slightly more about ultrasound than you do and they'll show you some stuff with ultrasound and you'll get to play around with the machines. hopefully you'll see some benefit from it.

-j

The ~$1,800 laptop program price is already included in the Med I budget, but if your laptop is approved you can get an exemption (kind of like student health insurance - you automatically pay for it, but can apply for an exemption if you are covered by a different policy). Check out http://is.med.ohio-state.edu/laptopprogram.html for the requirements and the e-mail addresses of the people to contact.

I have been asking around (people who have Thinkpads and other laptops, forums such as SlickDeals and FatWallet, etc.), and the $1,367 is apparently a very good deal for what you get, and the add-ons that make it ~$1,800 don't ruin the deal. It would be nice if we had some options, such as upgrading the video card, downgrading the processor, opting out of the entire Buckeye bundle (mainly because it includes Visual Studio .NET, which we as med students will never need), etc., but I think I am going to ditch the idea of buying my own laptop and stick with this one.

Everyone that I have talked to that owns a Thinkpad absolutely loves it (not to say that people with other brands don't love theirs). IBM also has the best (or second to best, some people say Apple's is better) customer service. On top of that, Wasif (one of the people in the IS dept.) told me that if anything goes bad on the laptop, they will replace it on the spot, no questions asked (which is superior, or at least equivalent, to the accidental damage coverage offered by IBM/Dell/etc.).

Additionally, the $700-$800 I'd save by buying a cheaper computer (read: Dell Inspiron) would not be much in the long run (unless I had a Dean's scholarship like Amy!! ;) ).

shiraz84 said:
I have been asking around (people who have Thinkpads and other laptops, forums such as SlickDeals and FatWallet, etc.), and the $1,367 is apparently a very good deal for what you get, and the add-ons that make it ~$1,800 don't ruin the deal. It would be nice if we had some options, such as upgrading the video card, downgrading the processor, opting out of the entire Buckeye bundle (mainly because it includes Visual Studio .NET, which we as med students will never need), etc., but I think I am going to ditch the idea of buying my own laptop and stick with this one.

shiraz, where did you get the $1800 amount from? Granted $450 more won't be much in the long run, but I didn't see anything about add-ons. bogus

Tiddly of Winks said:
shiraz, where did you get the $1800 amount from? Granted $450 more won't be much in the long run, but I didn't see anything about add-ons. bogus

It's not on the website, but that is what I have been told the price will be multiple times. That is for the laptop package; the $1,367 is for the laptop only. They add on an extra year of warranty service, a carrying case, a USB key, and the Buckeye bundle (http://oit.osu.edu/site_license/mslicense/).

The difference is about $433; from http://is.med.ohio-state.edu/OSU Medical School Flyer 5-20-05.pdf (Note: It's a PDF file), the carrying case, USB key, and warranty upgrade add $189. The Buckeye bundle purchased separately is $155. There's an $89 discrepancy, which I'm guessing is accounted for by the IS dept. charging something for installing all required software and configuring the laptop for the university's wireless network (plus or minus a little bit since the $1,800 is only approximate).

Wow, I have spent way too much time looking into this stuff. :oops:

I've pretty much decided that its not worth trying to buy my own laptop. By the time I add everything necessary to a Dell to bring it up to their criteria, I will be at or exceed the price OSU is giving us. I wish we could opt out of some of the "extras" that they are giving us (carry case, memory key) but I guess its just going to be easier to take their deal. Since I got the scholarship, I am now getting financial aid (scholarship and stafford loans) up to the full amount of the budget of $41,???.

Things are moving rapidly!! We bought a house today! Can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
AmyBEMT said:
I've pretty much decided that its not worth trying to buy my own laptop. By the time I add everything necessary to a Dell to bring it up to their criteria, I will be at or exceed the price OSU is giving us. I wish we could opt out of some of the "extras" that they are giving us (carry case, memory key) but I guess its just going to be easier to take their deal. Since I got the scholarship, I am now getting financial aid (scholarship and stafford loans) up to the full amount of the budget of $41,???.

Things are moving rapidly!! We bought a house today! Can't wait!

amy - can't wait to meet you, shiraz, deaftoan, gunit, logos, and all the other folks on this thread.......!

TripleDegree said:
amy - can't wait to meet you, shiraz, deaftoan, gunit, logos, and all the other folks on this thread.......!

I concur. How's that for a shameless bump back to the first page of class threads?

sandg said:
I concur. How's that for a shameless bump back to the first page of class threads?

Perfect. I was considering bumping it myself yesterday. I guess there's not much really going on between now and school (other than moving and etc.) Health forms were due the first, football tickets and laptops have already been discussed at great length.

I've been looking over the stuff on the orientation page a couple of times a week just to make sure nothing new has shown up or changed. I've also read through the stuff on ISP vs. IP. Still can't decide which option I want to choose. On one hand, the flexibility of ISP sounds great, but I'm not sure I'm organized enough to do well at it. I think I need the set exam dates and deadlines of IP.

Only 42 more days until orientation!!!

AmyBEMT said:
I've also read through the stuff on ISP vs. IP. Still can't decide which option I want to choose. On one hand, the flexibility of ISP sounds great, but I'm not sure I'm organized enough to do well at it. I think I need the set exam dates and deadlines of IP.

Only 42 more days until orientation!!!

I am a chronic procrastinator, so choosing ISP would be a bad idea for me. :p

It seems like orientation is coming up so fast! I am excited about starting classes and meeting all of you (along with the rest of the class), anxious/worried about whether or not I will do well, happy because I will be taking a big step forward in my life/career, and sad because I will miss the often overlooked joys of being a relatively care-free undergraduate. Looking back, cramming for that 8 AM organic exam seems like a blessing compared to the daunting task that is Med I. :scared:

Oh well, at least there will be other people going through the same thing...right? RIGHT?! :D

shiraz84 said:
It seems like orientation is coming up so fast! I am excited about starting classes and meeting all of you (along with the rest of the class), anxious/worried about whether or not I will do well, happy because I will be taking a big step forward in my life/career, and sad because I will miss the often overlooked joys of being a relatively care-free undergraduate. Looking back, cramming for that 8 AM organic exam seems like a blessing compared to the daunting task that is Med I. :scared:

Oh well, at least there will be other people going through the same thing...right? RIGHT?! :D

I feel your pain. As a non-science major (I pretty much took only the classes needed for med school), I'm afraid I will be at a disadvantage. I didn't have to work overwhelmingly hard at the sciences, but I know that med school is a whole different ballgame and am worried about making the necessary adjustments quickly enough (how much I need to study, etc.)

AmyBEMT said:
I feel your pain. As a non-science major (I pretty much took only the classes needed for med school), I'm afraid I will be at a disadvantage. I didn't have to work overwhelmingly hard at the sciences, but I know that med school is a whole different ballgame and am worried about making the necessary adjustments quickly enough (how much I need to study, etc.)

I probably have even less science than you.... but I'm not sweating it yet... plenty of time for that later :eek:

Anyways, I have about 20 ppl coming in for the white coat ceremony - what about you guys?

laters

TripleDegree said:
Anyways, I have about 20 ppl coming in for the white coat ceremony - what about you guys?

20 people? I don't think I even know 20 people. ;) I'm only bringing three - my husband, mom and stepdad. I figure I'll save the big party for graduation in four years.

Good to know that I won't be the only one in the class coming from a non-science background. I know a lot of people I interviewed with were talking about all their research and stuff and I felt incredibly unqualified.

I wouldn't worry about not having much of a science background. I myself was an engineering student, so I too lack a lot of bio knowledge. Here's betting that by the second day of anatomy we are all in the same boat whether we have just the minimum pre-reqs or a half dozen publications in Nature about cancer genetics.

By the way, thanks for pointing out the official days remaining until orientation, Amy. I knew it was close, but not that close...equal parts exciting and scary. Speaking of which, many of you are probably planning on arriving in Columbus a couple weeks from now. I've been here for five years, so feel free to ask any questions you would like answered. I am pretty busy at work (and will be almost until we start), but perhaps I can show some of you around too.

Hey did any of you get this "Buckeye Beginnings" brochure thingy asking you to submit a pic and profile? I'm assuming this is a undergraduate thing right?

I know we had one at my college, but no grad students were ever included for the incoming class. Any of you submitting info for this?

I'm going to be visiting the school at the end of July for a few days, if any one is in the area and wants to meet up let me know through this thread or PMs. Look forward to seeing all of you guys at orientation.

sandg said:
I wouldn't worry about not having much of a science background. I myself was an engineering student, so I too lack a lot of bio knowledge. Here's betting that by the second day of anatomy we are all in the same boat whether we have just the minimum pre-reqs or a half dozen publications in Nature about cancer genetics.

By the way, thanks for pointing out the official days remaining until orientation, Amy. I knew it was close, but not that close...equal parts exciting and scary. Speaking of which, many of you are probably planning on arriving in Columbus a couple weeks from now. I've been here for five years, so feel free to ask any questions you would like answered. I am pretty busy at work (and will be almost until we start), but perhaps I can show some of you around too.

I'll probably be moving in during the first weekend in August, since my lease starts August 1. I've only been to Columbus a few times, so I don't know my way around that well.

If any others are moving in early, we should definitely try to meet somewhere before orientation. :)

Shorty43 said:
Hey did any of you get this "Buckeye Beginnings" brochure thingy asking you to submit a pic and profile? I'm assuming this is a undergraduate thing right?

I know we had one at my college, but no grad students were ever included for the incoming class. Any of you submitting info for this?

I got it, too, but I don't think that I'm going to submit anything for it.

shiraz84 said:
I got it, too, but I don't think that I'm going to submit anything for it.

Thanks shiraz... I don't think I am either. As for being out in Ohio, I'm coming out from the 18-22 it looks like to look at some places to live. Then depending on how that trip goes I'll either be out there Aug 1st or the 10th. If anyone is in the area from the 18-22, I'd love to meet up. :thumbup:

Shorty43 said:

99.9% sure that Buckeye Beginnings is intended for undergrads.

shiraz84 said:
I'll probably be moving in during the first weekend in August, since my lease starts August 1. I've only been to Columbus a few times, so I don't know my way around that well.

If any others are moving in early, we should definitely try to meet somewhere before orientation. :)

Shorty, Shiraz, and anyone else: if you want to take me up on my offer or just get together and chill, send me a PM. Or if a group is going to get together, we can keep the planning going on this thread. I am really looking forward to meeting all of you!

Glad to see everyone is as excited to get started as I am, although i'm dreading the extent of the work a little. I've been mostly away from columbus for the summmer, and a high speed internet connection, so I havent been on much. I think i'm going to come back to cbus starting arounnd 1 Aug.

Anyone look into buying the first quarter books yet? I wonder if its best to wait until we start and try to pick them up used like in ugrad or if you pretty much need to get new ones? In which case there are probably better prices online.

The buckeye beginnings thing is pretty much for undergrads, and even for them its essentially just a rip off. Kinda like that whos who highschool thing they do.

Hi did anyone else get that email from the Dean? I've done everything he asked for except register for classes and print my fee statement.

How does one register for classes???

thanks

TripleDegree said:
Hi did anyone else get that email from the Dean? I've done everything he asked for except register for classes and print my fee statement.

How does one register for classes???

thanks

This pdf (from the online orientation) should cover the registration part. The fee statement won't be available until August 1st though, I think.

https://medicine.osu.edu/futurestudents/pdf/CourseRegistration.pdf

kornnata said:
This pdf (from the online orientation) should cover the registration part. The fee statement won't be available until August 1st though, I think.

https://medicine.osu.edu/futurestudents/pdf/CourseRegistration.pdf

something i didn't realize until recently is that since you're a full time student, you're allowed to take any OSU class pass/no pass for free. so if anyone feels like taking, say, archery or an art history class, you should!

Hello,

Does anyone know/has the updated schedule for the upcoming year which has all the breaks/holidays? The one in the online orientation doesn't have the exact dates.

Thx,

kornnata said:
Hello,

Does anyone know/has the updated schedule for the upcoming year which has all the breaks/holidays? The one in the online orientation doesn't have the exact dates.

Thx,

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I have a feeling that we may not know until orientation starts.

For those of you who have done your HIPAA training, I logged on today to print my certificate and discovered that there were five more courses for me to take and it kept flashing that one needed to be completed by Aug. 1. All of them are very simple - being on a dial-up took me forever to view all the slides.

kornnata said:
Hello,

Thx,

Here are the med 2 holidays off of the secure website which you might not have access to yet. Note that Winter and Spring breaks for med 1 & 2s might differ. In particular, Med 1 spring break was one week earlier than Med 2 last year. Hope this helps.

Sep. 5 - Labor Day
Nov. 11 - Veteran's Day
Nov. 23-25 - Thanksgiving
Dec. 19-Jan. 2 - Winter Break
Jan. 16 - MLK Day
Mar. 30 - Research Day
Apr. 3-10 - Spring Break
May 29 - Memorial Day

I'm guessing your last day of class will be either June 9th or 16th. (Ours was June 10th, but we started orientation a week earlier as well).

Hi!
I just got in off the waitlist last week, and I'm really excited about OSU. Is there anyone still looking for a roommate? I'm really looking for a situation for just fall semester, hopefully within walking/biking distance to campus (I do have a car, but I use the term very loosely). Pets allowed would be a plus but isn't necessary.
Thanks!

t33sg1rl - Congratulations! Can't wait to see you and everyone else in August. :)

deaftoan - Thanks for posting those dates! The breaks we get seem miniscule compared to the ones we (or at least I) got in undergrad.

Amy - my HIPAA training webpage said the same thing. Do we have to have the certificate for something? I assumed that completing the 4 or 5 required ones by July 1 would be enough. Speaking of that, when did they add all of those new modules?? I did all of them this morning, but it still gives me the message about that one that needs to completed by August 1 when I try to get my certificate. Oh well.

deaftoan said:
Here are the med 2 holidays off of the secure website which you might not have access to yet. Note that Winter and Spring breaks for med 1 & 2s might differ. In particular, Med 1 spring break was one week earlier than Med 2 last year. Hope this helps.

Sep. 5 - Labor Day
Nov. 11 - Veteran's Day
Nov. 23-25 - Thanksgiving
Dec. 19-Jan. 2 - Winter Break
Jan. 16 - MLK Day
Mar. 30 - Research Day
Apr. 3-10 - Spring Break
May 29 - Memorial Day

I'm guessing your last day of class will be either June 9th or 16th. (Ours was June 10th, but we started orientation a week earlier as well).

Thanks again, deaftoan.

anyone NOT accept their financial aid awards OR not register for classes yet? I'm waiting on one minor detail to be ironed out before I can do either....

TripleDegree said:
anyone NOT accept their financial aid awards OR not register for classes yet? I'm waiting on one minor detail to be ironed out before I can do either....

Thanks for bringing this up TripleDegree. I have been meaning to ask the financial aid office about something, but it keeps slipping my mind as I am quite busy with work during business hours. So, hopefully one of you wonderful SDNer's can help me out.

Were you able to accept/reject your loans from your status page? I was able to accept a scholarship there, but haven't found any such monster for loans. Thanks everyone!

BTW, congrats to t33sg1rl!

Anyone know what our daily schedule will be like? (start time, end of lecture, etc) I've heard that the last two years they have started pretty early in the morning, like 730 or 830 am.

Ok I need someone to help me....

I was able to accept my Fed loans, and I was also able to register for the courses.

However, I've not been able to register for the Student Health insurance and add my spouse and kids.. When I hit Submit it gives me a weird "Database Error" message.

Anyone encounter this issue?

TripleDegree said:
Ok I need someone to help me....

I was able to accept my Fed loans, and I was also able to register for the courses.

However, I've not been able to register for the Student Health insurance and add my spouse and kids.. When I hit Submit it gives me a weird "Database Error" message.

Anyone encounter this issue?

Where did you find the Student Health Insurance info on your webpage? And those new CBLs are all listed as "to be completed by december"... and yet at the top of the page it says the patient safety one needs to be completed by August 1st. I'm a bit confused. I guess I'll just get them out of the way now since I have the time, but booo to the confusion.

I'm still having a tough time getting use to all this electronic stuff. I wish I had a huge packet full of papers listing exactly what I needed to get done before the start of orientation. I feel so much more lost now than I did when moving away for undergrad :thumbdown: <prob because my housing situation is yet to be set in stone>. lol.

logos said:
Anyone know what our daily schedule will be like? (start time, end of lecture, etc) I've heard that the last two years they have started pretty early in the morning, like 730 or 830 am.

Reasonably sure it is 8:30. I remeber hearing that students like the relatively early start so that third year doesn't seem so bad. How an 8:30 prepares you for a 6:00 (or earlier) start, however, is anyone's guess. :cool:

sandg said:
Reasonably sure it is 8:30. I remeber hearing that students like the relatively early start so that third year doesn't seem so bad. How an 8:30 prepares you for a 6:00 (or earlier) start, however, is anyone's guess. :cool:

Use to start at 7:30, but they changed it to 8:30 last year due to complaints. for the first 12 weeks, there will be an average of 2 hours of lecture everyday, followed by lab (3-4x/week) which is about 2 hrs long. Most thursdays, you're out by 9:30 or 10:30. I feel like I was done by 12:30, on average, most lab days.
After that, the integrated pathway still starts at 8:30 but there is considerably more class time due to a little more lecture and alot more small group.

AmyBEMT said:
I'm a big a fan of emergency medicine myself, and kind of interested in forensic pathology, but who knows what will catch my interest once we get into stuff.

Got all of the immunization and health records done and dropped them off a couple of weeks ago. Accepted my financial aid package online (which keeps changing because I've gotten two scholarships since my initial package :D ).

I've pretty much decided that its going to be tough to get a laptop with their requirements for much less than what their price is (even with dell's current 34% off). Has anyone had any luck getting theirs approved?

We're going to make an offer on a house tomorrow. A little big farther away than I wanted to be, but I'll sacrifice 10 minutes for a nicer house. Hoping to be moved in before school starts.

How do we go about accepting the financial aid package? I must have missed that on the letter telling me how much I get.

Just go to the registrar webpage at OSU, and log in. It will show what you have been awarded in terms of scholarships and loans and it asks for confirmation. All of their stuff is online which is a bit annoying and convenient at the same time.

shiraz84 said:
my HIPAA training webpage said the same thing. Do we have to have the certificate for something? I assumed that completing the 4 or 5 required ones by July 1 would be enough. Speaking of that, when did they add all of those new modules?? I did all of them this morning, but it still gives me the message about that one that needs to completed by August 1 when I try to get my certificate. Oh well.

I don't know when they added the new modules. I did them all as well. I didn't know there was an option for a certificate. I just printed off a transcript of all the modules I had completed. I kept getting the messages about the August 1 module even after completing it. Must be a glitch in the system.

AmyBEMT said:
I don't know when they added the new modules. I did them all as well. I didn't know there was an option for a certificate. I just printed off a transcript of all the modules I had completed. I kept getting the messages about the August 1 module even after completing it. Must be a glitch in the system.

I didn't see anything about a certificate either. I just looked at my online transcript.

Why are you folks printing out your transcripts? Is there any need to turn in a paper copy of this to someone?

Also Amy - question for you - did you enroll in the student health insurance plan? I'm having trouble registering my family.

Thanks for the tips on how to accept my finacial aid package. I'm sure glad that we don't have to pay the out of state tuition for all four years. That's a killer. The federal loans don't even cover all of it.

I'm moving out from Pennsylvania so I'll be in Columbus on August 15th. I'm cutting it kind of close, but that way I get a prorated lease and only pay rent for half the month. When is everyone else planning on moving? I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation. It is coming up really quick.