Official Thread: Ohio State Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sandg said:
Are you flat out recommending that we get a computer on our own and say no thanks to the one that is included? Correct me if I am wrong, but tech support and software updates through the Buckeye Bundle are included, possibly offsetting some of any potential savings. Thanks.

I'm saying that you should compare different offers instead of just buying the IBM package w/o looking around. I preferred the features on my laptop to the ones IBM has, and i like my warranty better. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the OSU deal. I am, however, saying that a laptop was definitely not mandatory for us during our first year. In fact, if I didn't have a laptop I probably would have been more productive, instead of sitting around in the library on AIM...

Members don't see this ad.

Any incoming M1's still looking for a roommate??

Cholinergic said:
Is anyone doing the preentry program?

the pre-entry program is a WASTE OF TIME

i did it becuase i'm from out-of-state and i wanted to use the cheap (tho ****ty) housing to have a chance to get to know the area and to have more than a day to find a place to live.
The classes they offer are USELESS and the teachers treat you like you are an idiot.
I wouldnt do it unless you are like me and want to get to know osu and columbus a little better the summer before med school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
gunit07 said:
the pre-entry program is a WASTE OF TIME

i did it becuase i'm from out-of-state and i wanted to use the cheap (tho ****ty) housing to have a chance to get to know the area and to have more than a day to find a place to live.
The classes they offer are USELESS and the teachers treat you like you are an idiot.
I wouldnt do it unless you are like me and want to get to know osu and columbus a little better the summer before med school starts.

Hey,

Can you elaborate a little more on why it was a waste of time? How exactly did the teachers treat you? Now I'm re-evaluating. . .

BTW: What year are you?

Cholinergic said:
Hey,

Can you elaborate a little more on why it was a waste of time? How exactly did the teachers treat you? Now I'm re-evaluating. . .

BTW: What year are you?
I'm a M3, so I took the course a while back and it may have changed (though, knowing OSU, i doubt it)

Basically, you join the MedPath program - which is the program for underrepresented minorities to help them get into med school. It's very basic information that wont help you during your med1 year.

Because of this, all the courses are WAY below the level that you will need to know once you start med school - VERY VERY basic. The little amount you will learn during the program will not put you at any advantage over any other students. The anatomy you learn during the first 12 weeks of school is at a level that is MUCH more detailed. They basically take the undergrad anatomy class that they teach at OSU and smoosh it into the summer. It's WAY to basic for your real anatomy course, and you'll end up having to study just as much as everyone else when you start med1 anyways.

Also, they make you take a course that is supposed to help you with your study skills. And you sit there with the lady who is in charge of the program, and she teaches you how to highlight - i mean, you got into med school , i'm pretty sure you can tackle the art of highlighting on your own. The teacher tried to get me to change my entire method of studying and notetaking and basically didnt like the fact that I had my own system.

If there is a particular topic that you feel is a weakness, you would be MUCH better off grabbing a copy of one of the board review books (BRS, High Yield, or even First Aid), and going through those than by taking this course.
I was lucky and had a GREAT undergrad education that I think really put me at an advantage over most of the students in my class. But for the topics that I just didnt take a course in in Undergrad (ie: immuno, micro), I found that they do a good job in the curriculum to cover the basics and catch you up to speed. (I did IP, btw)

Overall, the lady who is in charge of the med path program and the preentry program just doesnt seem to be in touch with what REAL med school is like... It's really just a waste of time - go have fun over the summer instead:) It is one of your last summers, so use it for FUN - next year, you will have to use your summer for research or some other medically related thing. This is your last summer where noone will care if you did anything usefull or not - so have fun:)

Though, if you really want to get ahead, I'd recommend reading ECA once over. I wish I had. Not hardcore study it, but just read it through and try to understand what yo'ure reading - that in itself will put you leaps and bounds ahead of other students:)

Good luck!
and have fun!!!:)

AmyBEMT said:
On the plus side, the package the COM&PH has put together includes a 4 year warranty. On the downside, the package that they have put together includes a 4 year warranty, carry case, USB key and etc. These extras are going to jack the price of the laptop to about $1500. I'm sure they aren't throwing them in for free.

I agree that the Dell deal looks very appealing. I'm going to price one with the COM specs and see what I come up with. Unfortunately, I would have to put it on my credit card. I wonder how many hoops they make you jump through in order to get yours approved. I would hate to buy a new one that I thought would meet the specs and then have it rejected.
I dont know if they've changed how the laptops are used in the classroom - but I found that I use my laptop for: 1. email, 2. webbrowsing, 3. AOL :)

I rarely brought my laptop to class either M1/M2 year... the main time i brought it was when we were working on presentations or during Capstone (end of m2 year) and we had to look up stuff on various databases...

dont sweat the laptop thing - just get a PC that has wireless internet, and you'll be fine:)

(also, after you buy your laptop, you can fill out a form to the financial aid office and get extra moola for it:))

gunit07 said:
dont sweat the laptop thing - just get a PC that has wireless internet, and you'll be fine:)

Maybe they've changed it in the past couple of years, but according to the info I read on OSU's site, you have no choice about getting a laptop. You either have to get your current laptop approved by them, or they give you an IBM laptop the first week of class and tack the charge for it onto your bill for first quarter.

My laptop (which I think is plenty sufficient for me) doesn't come anywhere near what they say the minimum specs are.

Quoting from the web page:
"All first year medical students will receive a laptop computer during the first week of class in August.

Do not purchase a laptop computer!! The College of Medicine purchases the Ohio State Laptop Package for entering students. The laptop computer purchase charge will be included on your tuition bill as a separate charge.

If you already own a laptop, below are the minimum specs for the laptop ownership program. Also our technical staff will provide you with an analysis. If compatible software could be upgraded to the latest version, it will be distributed to the student. Additional charges or software fees may apply. The deadline for compatibility analysis of an existing laptop is July 31, 2005.

Minimum Requirements:

- Pentium M 1.70ghz
- 512 MB RAM
- 40 GB Hard Drive
- Microsoft Windows XP professional
- IEEE 802.11 a/b/g Wireless card
- McAfee Anti-Virus software"

Notice how they very nicely picked a processor that is above and beyond what comes standard in most laptops. I could easily upgrade my laptop to meet all of the requirements except the processor speed.

Yeah their minimum requirements suck. I e-mailed Paul Becerra, the contact person for the laptops from the website, and he said that to have it approved you have to send him the specs and then, when you come in, bring in the laptop to the IS department to have them verify them. Kinda sucks, because my old laptop would be more than enough for word processing/internet access/etc. :(

WTF DO THEY WANT YOU TO HAVE A 1.7+ GHZ PROCESSOR FOR?! :mad:

So...is there a general medical student group that those of you buying tickets are joining? Obviously would be nicer to sit near some familiar faces then all alone.

KonHndrkx said:
Any incoming M1's still looking for a roommate??

Hi all,

I've given up all waitlist hope and am excited to start at OSU next year. I posted all my info on the housing form website and am looking for people to room with. Does anyone know where the majority of M1 students live and if they are filled up? Anyone looking for a roomate? Im 22, Male, from the SF bay area in California, went to UC Davis, like to work and play hard, laid back guy. Let me know if anyone is interested (drop me an e-mail) or has any info about housing. Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

-Jeff
[email protected]

So who's turned in that elllaaaaaborate immunization form? I just got mine done, and sent that over today. Thank God its over!

Also, in case you haven't noticed, there's a medical student blog on SDN about this MD/Ph.D guy who's going to OSU. Pretty interesting stuff since a lot of it directly relates to us. check it out

whoa! they have to "approve" your laptop now????? that's bs!!
they definitely changed from when i started!
did they say why the new policy?
the program they use in class isnt that helpful - if you dont understand something, you can ALWAYS raise your hand and ask.

but seriously dont sweat it... see if you can find a dell for a good deal - and GET the accidental protection warranty - it's worth it! they gave me a brand new computer this year when mine got totally busted!
do NOT get a laptop from best buy - they will definitely screw you over with their warranty. (at least at the best buy's in cbus)

and actually, the specs they give you are pretty reasonable... i'd stick with that:)

AmyBEMT said:
Maybe they've changed it in the past couple of years, but according to the info I read on OSU's site, you have no choice about getting a laptop. You either have to get your current laptop approved by them, or they give you an IBM laptop the first week of class and tack the charge for it onto your bill for first quarter.

My laptop (which I think is plenty sufficient for me) doesn't come anywhere near what they say the minimum specs are.

Quoting from the web page:
"All first year medical students will receive a laptop computer during the first week of class in August.

Do not purchase a laptop computer!! The College of Medicine purchases the Ohio State Laptop Package for entering students. The laptop computer purchase charge will be included on your tuition bill as a separate charge.

If you already own a laptop, below are the minimum specs for the laptop ownership program. Also our technical staff will provide you with an analysis. If compatible software could be upgraded to the latest version, it will be distributed to the student. Additional charges or software fees may apply. The deadline for compatibility analysis of an existing laptop is July 31, 2005.

Minimum Requirements:

- Pentium M 1.70ghz
- 512 MB RAM
- 40 GB Hard Drive
- Microsoft Windows XP professional
- IEEE 802.11 a/b/g Wireless card
- McAfee Anti-Virus software"

Notice how they very nicely picked a processor that is above and beyond what comes standard in most laptops. I could easily upgrade my laptop to meet all of the requirements except the processor speed.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how many of you MS1s are going to use this laptop program and stick with the T43 and how many are using their own laptops?

I asked for those stats from OSU but have gotten no response :(

Why is everyone so obsessed with laptops?? Lighten up folks, it is only a fraction of a percent of your total med school expenses.

How about something more interesting - like forming a lunch club or dinner club or something for us SDNers?

Hello!

FINALLY, I got accepted off the waiting list just today. This officially ended my application process because OSU has been my number one school. It's been a long wait for me.

Just want to say hello to all my future classmates out there.

:) :D ;)

kornnata said:
Hello!

FINALLY, I got accepted off the waiting list just today. This officially ended my application process because OSU has been my number one school. It's been a long wait for me.

Just want to say hello to all my future classmates out there.

:) :D ;)

Congrats, kornnata :) I am glad your patience has paid off. Welcome to the OSU 2009 club.

Hey gunit,
If you don't mind me asking, are you happy with OSU? Perhaps it is just the topics under discussion here, but most of your comments seem critical. What are the great things about OSU?

You don't need a laptop. In the first year class, maybe 15% off the class brings their laptops in. There's no point. They have this software called "turning point", and they use that to poll the class for various questions. Some folks participate, most don't. They only use turning point in a couple of lectures. Few people care. Not having a laptop doesn't affect you adversely, because you can still see what the question is on the overhead.

I personally did buy a laptop, although I bought a Dell and not one of the IBM's that OSU wants you to buy. It was mostly a waste of money. :sleep:

So are any of you actually ordering football tickets? Is it all assigned seating or can you sit anywhere within the student section? And if it is assigned seating, is there some larger medical school group formed that I can join...or do any of us first years want to start one?

I ordered tickets. I was able to order two, however, since married students can also order a ticket for their spouse.

Yes, seating is assigned, so if you can find at least one other person to form a group with, it might be a good idea.

PS - if you are thinking about selling your ticket(s), OSU has really cracked down on student tickets. Allegedly, you will have to show the student ID that matches the ticket in order to use a student ticket. So, if you decide not to go to a game and want to sell your ticket, you either have to upgrade it (at a hefty fee) or be willing to let that person use your student ID.

Congrats kornnata!

Have med students created a football seating group? My girlfriend is going to be a first year law student, and she told me that there is a law group...Anyone know?

shiraz84 said:
Congrats kornnata!

Have med students created a football seating group? My girlfriend is going to be a first year law student, and she told me that there is a law group...Anyone know?

I have asked a couple of times, but it does not seam like it. If you find anyone and want to start a group, let me know.

Does anyone else here want to start a group? Any upper class people in here know of a group that already exists?

Also, does anyone want to start a Yahoo group for the class of '09 or anything? My girlfriend started one for the incoming law school class, told the admissions office about it, and they sent an e-mail out to all incoming students...now the group is fairly large and everyone has introduced themselves. Maybe a good idea?

yeah, lets start a yahoo group and a football seating group. Im in, ill help set it up and talk to the admissions people to send out an email. let me know what to do.

I'm coming in a little late, but I just got the call from the admissions director that I got in from the waitlist.

I'm just really relieved and excited to be at OSU this fall. I hope to see you guys and hangout.

sandg said:
Hey gunit,
If you don't mind me asking, are you happy with OSU? Perhaps it is just the topics under discussion here, but most of your comments seem critical. What are the great things about OSU?

Yeah, I tend to be critical ;)

The great things about OSU, from the point of view of an IP student:

1. You dont have class ALL day - that means you have time to work out, go shopping, study, go to doctors appointments, have a life:) You'll see when you get here that there's kind of a IP vs. ISP "battle." They say the "smarter" kids do ISP... but I dont think that's necessarily true (it's not like the other 75% of us are idiots!). It's all about the way you learn. The best thing about IP, I think, is that you get exposure to clinical faculty all throughout your first two years - and they tell you stories about their patients to help you learn the material. Also, the notorious pharm test for ISP does not apply to you!!! Dr. Fertel teaches a large amount of the pharm, and he's awesome, and you WILL learn from him:) You get a GREAT ophthalmology module at the beginning of your 2nd year, led by the former chair of the department and the current vice-dean, Dr. Weber. You will get to know Dr. Lynn, who is awesome, who is not only in charge of the 12 week neurology block, but also in charge of the 3rd year neurology rotation. You actually get to learn stuff as it is explained to you in class. I think it's great cause you get to hear and see the material besides just reading it.

2. Faculty - if you're not a jerk, they are VERY receptive to you. Dr. Hitchcock (IP director) will listen to your feedback and take it into consideration. Dr. Stang will be your number one advocate no matter what kind of problem you have - from personal to academic - he will help you in ANY way he can. All of the administrative staff is VERY nice - Sharon, Maryanne, etc. they are VERY helpful.

3. Clinical experience during M1/M2 years - you can VERY easily gain clinical experience on your own during the first two years. I emailed a few people in the fields i was interested in and they all responded positively. Again, another good thing about IP - if you actually talk to them in person after class and express your interest, they're more likely to help you out - it's easier than dealing with their secretaries. But most of the clinical faculty are more than happy to have you - either to see an autopsy, go to the OR, go to clinic with them, etc. If you take the initiative, you will have no problem finding the field that's right for you:)

4. The new garage with the food court :laugh: trust me, it's awesome - you'll love it:)

5. Students - most students here are nice. I have found that about 95% of students who are a year ahead of me or more have been really nice and helpful. They usually will give you good tips:)

6. The hospitals - the new Ross Heart hospital is THE nicest hospital!!! The James is pretty nice too:)

7. The patients!!! You may think that going to a school that's ranked in the top 10 is super important - but when it comes down to it, it's the patients you see that determine what kind of education you're going to get. People will drive from HOURS away to come to the OSU hospitals - with many different diseases and conditions. You will see things that are really rare (I saw a patient the other day with a condition that only had a 0.1% chance of developing).

8. OSU is a nonranking school. This is FANTASTIC. Not becuase it gives you an excuse to be a slacker, but it gives you the chance to learn without having to worry about every last point. I mean, how mad would you be if you missed being in the top 25% of the class by ONE point? And I think it takes away some of the competition as well - I honestly dont care how my classmates do on their exams, I dont care about the mean, I dont care about where I fall in the class. But I do care about how much I've learned and if I get a question wrong on a test, I dont care about the point value of missing that question, but I get to care about why I missed it and what I needed to have learned from that question. I also think that this let's you have a life. Some people say that when they start med school they have to give up their lives - that may not be possible. If you have an ill grandparent/parent/sibling/etc; if you have an illness yourself, be it chronic or acute; if you have any sort of emergency... you dont have to worry about your rank on top of all the other problems in your life. I know this has helped me tremendously over the past few years... You can pay attention to the things that are important - you have the opportunity to keep school, family, personal life on the same priority level. They will talk to you about "balance" a LOT during orientation, and being a nonranking school really helps with that. During my years in med school at OSU I was able to attend to all the important things in my life while still learning what I needed for the boards and wards. This way I have no regrets and I am not penalized for caring about things like my family or my own health.

9. The PCM (patient centerd medicine) classes are GOOD. This is something you will hear a LOT of people complain about. "why do i have to take pcm, my parents raised me right" or "i hate pcm, who cares about spirituality?" etc etc. I have interacted with students at other schools, both in social situations and in patient care settings, and I have found that the OSU students are the nicest. Dr. Stone does a good job teaching you that your role as a physician is to take care of patients. While some students will continue to be arrogant jerks no matter what you teach them, I think that OSU does the best job in preventing that from happening. OSU teaches you to have pride in being a physician, but to remember that it is an honor and privilege as well. By going to OSU, you will not only be prepared to take your USMLE and to match at a residency program of your choice, but you will be an intelligent, knowledgable, CARING physician. And when you interact with physicians or students from other places, you will realize that you made a great choice in going to OSU.

and... for completeness

10. OSU students do GREAT in the match. Go to medicine.osu.edu and search for "residency match results" to see how they do. The main thing to keep in mind when looking at any residency match list is that people are only going to match where they have ranked - which means where they WANT to be... so it all depends on that student, if they want to be close to home, or in a particular city, or what. But overall, students do GREAT in the match coming out of OSU:)

Overall: I am VERY glad I go to OSU. The classes seem to have gotten more competitive year by year... But hopefully the class of 2009 will be really nice to each other. While I do have some legitimate complaints regarding OSU, it is impossible to find a school where you will be completely 100% happy, and if you claim you are, then you are simply deluding yourself. With any med school you go to, you gotta take it with a grain of salt. But overall, I would highly recommend OSU to anyone who asked:)

I"d be careful with this advice... I think they are trying to change things for the future classes... But you should have a computer in med school.

Llenroc said:
You don't need a laptop. In the first year class, maybe 15% off the class brings their laptops in. There's no point. They have this software called "turning point", and they use that to poll the class for various questions. Some folks participate, most don't. They only use turning point in a couple of lectures. Few people care. Not having a laptop doesn't affect you adversely, because you can still see what the question is on the overhead.

I personally did buy a laptop, although I bought a Dell and not one of the IBM's that OSU wants you to buy. It was mostly a waste of money. :sleep:

jmchakedis said:
yeah, lets start a yahoo group and a football seating group. Im in, ill help set it up and talk to the admissions people to send out an email. let me know what to do.

I actually tried to set up a football seating group earlier today. Because I had already ordered my tickets before setting up/joining a group, I wasn't able to set up a seating group.

Setting up these groups sounds like a plan. I hope admissions will cooperate with sending out an e-mail. You might want to contact the athletic tix office, though, and find out how much longer is left in the ordering period for football tix. It would suck to go to the trouble of setting up a seating group and getting the word out only to have the athletic office close the ordering period.

gunit07 said:
Overall: I am VERY glad I go to OSU. The classes seem to have gotten more competitive year by year... But hopefully the class of 2009 will be really nice to each other. While I do have some legitimate complaints regarding OSU, it is impossible to find a school where you will be completely 100% happy, and if you claim you are, then you are simply deluding yourself. With any med school you go to, you gotta take it with a grain of salt. But overall, I would highly recommend OSU to anyone who asked:)

gunit07 -

Thanks for the post. It was nice to hear some perspective on some of the different aspects of the first two years. I have been debating between ISP and IP, so it was good to hear that you felt you had some flexibility even on IP. My husband and I are thinking about trying to start a family (no - I'm really not crazy - but I will be 34 :eek: when classes start and waiting until done w/ med school or residency doesn't really seem like a good plan) and I had been leaning toward ISP for that reason. However, I'm not really sure that ISP is a good fit for me.

I stopped by OSU on Friday to drop off my health/immunization paperwork and noticed that the food court in the new garage was done. That will be a GREAT addition to food options close to the medical campus (although I have to admit that the hot dog/brat/gyro guys who set up in front of Postle Hall are among my favorite fast eats).

I agree that the administrative office staff is helpful and friendly. I wandered in there several times while taking my last quarter of pre-reqs and never walked out feeling like I had been treated badly.

I'm really excited about starting this fall. Its amazing how things have turned out considering I had to actually go in and ASK for a secondary.

In reading some other topics posted in the forum, I wanted to add one thing:
At OSU you will not be abused!!
I just read something about how someone was kicked in the groin by an attending and someone else was hit on the hands with a surgical instrument for making a mistake to the point of bleeding - this would NEVER happen at OSU!! and if it, god forbid, did happen - the administration would strongly be your advocate.
I had a negative experience with a clinical faculty member - who was insensitive and belittling and just all around horrible - and I spoke to Dr. Stang about it, and he took it VERY seriously and took it to even higher up administration.
OSU values their students, and does not tolerate them being abused!

gunit07 said:
Yeah, I tend to be critical ;)

The great things about OSU, from the point of view of an IP student:

1. You dont have class ALL day - that means you have time to work out, go shopping, study, go to doctors appointments, have a life:) You'll see when you get here that there's kind of a IP vs. ISP "battle." They say the "smarter" kids do ISP... but I dont think that's necessarily true (it's not like the other 75% of us are idiots!). It's all about the way you learn. The best thing about IP, I think, is that you get exposure to clinical faculty all throughout your first two years - and they tell you stories about their patients to help you learn the material. Also, the notorious pharm test for ISP does not apply to you!!! Dr. Fertel teaches a large amount of the pharm, and he's awesome, and you WILL learn from him:) You get a GREAT ophthalmology module at the beginning of your 2nd year, led by the former chair of the department and the current vice-dean, Dr. Weber. You will get to know Dr. Lynn, who is awesome, who is not only in charge of the 12 week neurology block, but also in charge of the 3rd year neurology rotation. You actually get to learn stuff as it is explained to you in class. I think it's great cause you get to hear and see the material besides just reading it.

2. Faculty - if you're not a jerk, they are VERY receptive to you. Dr. Hitchcock (IP director) will listen to your feedback and take it into consideration. Dr. Stang will be your number one advocate no matter what kind of problem you have - from personal to academic - he will help you in ANY way he can. All of the administrative staff is VERY nice - Sharon, Maryanne, etc. they are VERY helpful.

3. Clinical experience during M1/M2 years - you can VERY easily gain clinical experience on your own during the first two years. I emailed a few people in the fields i was interested in and they all responded positively. Again, another good thing about IP - if you actually talk to them in person after class and express your interest, they're more likely to help you out - it's easier than dealing with their secretaries. But most of the clinical faculty are more than happy to have you - either to see an autopsy, go to the OR, go to clinic with them, etc. If you take the initiative, you will have no problem finding the field that's right for you:)

4. The new garage with the food court :laugh: trust me, it's awesome - you'll love it:)

5. Students - most students here are nice. I have found that about 95% of students who are a year ahead of me or more have been really nice and helpful. They usually will give you good tips:)

6. The hospitals - the new Ross Heart hospital is THE nicest hospital!!! The James is pretty nice too:)

7. The patients!!! You may think that going to a school that's ranked in the top 10 is super important - but when it comes down to it, it's the patients you see that determine what kind of education you're going to get. People will drive from HOURS away to come to the OSU hospitals - with many different diseases and conditions. You will see things that are really rare (I saw a patient the other day with a condition that only had a 0.1% chance of developing).

8. OSU is a nonranking school. This is FANTASTIC. Not becuase it gives you an excuse to be a slacker, but it gives you the chance to learn without having to worry about every last point. I mean, how mad would you be if you missed being in the top 25% of the class by ONE point? And I think it takes away some of the competition as well - I honestly dont care how my classmates do on their exams, I dont care about the mean, I dont care about where I fall in the class. But I do care about how much I've learned and if I get a question wrong on a test, I dont care about the point value of missing that question, but I get to care about why I missed it and what I needed to have learned from that question. I also think that this let's you have a life. Some people say that when they start med school they have to give up their lives - that may not be possible. If you have an ill grandparent/parent/sibling/etc; if you have an illness yourself, be it chronic or acute; if you have any sort of emergency... you dont have to worry about your rank on top of all the other problems in your life. I know this has helped me tremendously over the past few years... You can pay attention to the things that are important - you have the opportunity to keep school, family, personal life on the same priority level. They will talk to you about "balance" a LOT during orientation, and being a nonranking school really helps with that. During my years in med school at OSU I was able to attend to all the important things in my life while still learning what I needed for the boards and wards. This way I have no regrets and I am not penalized for caring about things like my family or my own health.

9. The PCM (patient centerd medicine) classes are GOOD. This is something you will hear a LOT of people complain about. "why do i have to take pcm, my parents raised me right" or "i hate pcm, who cares about spirituality?" etc etc. I have interacted with students at other schools, both in social situations and in patient care settings, and I have found that the OSU students are the nicest. Dr. Stone does a good job teaching you that your role as a physician is to take care of patients. While some students will continue to be arrogant jerks no matter what you teach them, I think that OSU does the best job in preventing that from happening. OSU teaches you to have pride in being a physician, but to remember that it is an honor and privilege as well. By going to OSU, you will not only be prepared to take your USMLE and to match at a residency program of your choice, but you will be an intelligent, knowledgable, CARING physician. And when you interact with physicians or students from other places, you will realize that you made a great choice in going to OSU.

and... for completeness

10. OSU students do GREAT in the match. Go to medicine.osu.edu and search for "residency match results" to see how they do. The main thing to keep in mind when looking at any residency match list is that people are only going to match where they have ranked - which means where they WANT to be... so it all depends on that student, if they want to be close to home, or in a particular city, or what. But overall, students do GREAT in the match coming out of OSU:)

gunit07 said:
In reading some other topics posted in the forum, I wanted to add one thing:
At OSU you will not be abused!!
I just read something about how someone was kicked in the groin by an attending and someone else was hit on the hands with a surgical instrument for making a mistake to the point of bleeding - this would NEVER happen at OSU!! and if it, god forbid, did happen - the administration would strongly be your advocate.
I had a negative experience with a clinical faculty member - who was insensitive and belittling and just all around horrible - and I spoke to Dr. Stang about it, and he took it VERY seriously and took it to even higher up administration.
OSU values their students, and does not tolerate them being abused!

Thanks for you extensive replies gunit! In retrospect, mine was a bit of a silly question since all of us on this thread liked OSU well enough to choose it. Nonetheless, it is great to hear such things from a current student. I got the impression (from another thread perhaps?) that you are a third year, meaning we probably won't ever see you, but if we do, I look forward to meeting you. Thanks again.

Vomitonme said:
I'm coming in a little late, but I just got the call from the admissions director that I got in from the waitlist.

I'm just really relieved and excited to be at OSU this fall. I hope to see you guys and hangout.

Congratulations, vomitonme. It is great to have so many SDNer's coming to OSU. :)

jmchakedis said:

Let me know if you set up that football group...as for now we have three people it seams interested (you, shiraz, and myself).

I started a yahoo group for all of us class of 2009 students. I also extend the invitation to any OSU med student. Here is the link to the group:

Group name: OSU_2009
Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OSU_2009
Group email: [email protected]

Hopefully word spreads about this group so we can incorporate all of the class. Gonna start working on the group seating for football games now.

Jeff

Made a football group:

Please accept the invitation from JEFFERY CHAKEDIS to join
Seating Group: COMPH Class of 2009, password: doctors, when you
purchase your 2005 Ohio State student tickets online at
www.hangonsloopy.com

After logging on to the site, click on the "Join a Group" link. You
will be
prompted for the group name and password in order to join the group.

You can join more than one student seating group. The seating groups
you have "joined" will be listed in the seating group drop down list in
Step #2
when you order your football tickets.

CRITICAL NOTE: YOU MUST SELECT 1 SEATING GROUP FROM THE LIST OF GROUPS
YOU HAVE JOINED
IN THE SEAT GROUP DROP DOWN LIST IN STEP #2 WHEN YOU ORDER
YOUR TICKETS ONLINE.

The Ohio State University
Athletic Ticket Office

will post it on the yahoo site as well.

jmchakedis said:
I started a yahoo group for all of us class of 2009 students. I also extend the invitation to any OSU med student. Here is the link to the group:

Group name: OSU_2009
Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OSU_2009
Group email: [email protected]

Hopefully word spreads about this group so we can incorporate all of the class. Gonna start working on the group seating for football games now.

Jeff

Haha, I had just posted a message about a group that I made :p

These groups sound great! Can someone ask the admissions office to send an e-mail out notifying all incoming students about the group(s)? That'd probably get a lot of members :)

Thanks Jeff.

And thanks gunit for all the helpful info!

I had a question about some of the housing areas. Are the places offered by studenthousingosu.com (Uni Area Rentals) any good? They seem pretty cheap and close to the medical school so that's a big plus but I'm not too sure if the area is safe.

If anyone can give me a heads up on these places, I would appreciated it.

So does anyone know what they want to go into?

Me = Interventional Cardiologist

Ideally at the Heart Hospital right in the Medical Center..... :D

TripleDegree said:
So does anyone know what they want to go into?

Me = Interventional Cardiologist

Ideally at the Heart Hospital right in the Medical Center..... :D

I'm pretty clueless on this at the moment. I've only had experience around internal medicine, pulmonology, gastroenterology, and anesthesiology; there are so many more specialties out there.

For now, I think I'll worry about surviving first year and think about my specialty later. :laugh:

shiraz84 said:
I'm pretty clueless on this at the moment. I've only had experience around internal medicine, pulmonology, gastroenterology, and anesthesiology; there are so many more specialties out there.

For now, I think I'll worry about surviving first year and think about my specialty later. :laugh:

Yeah first year's going to be interesting.....

have you got all the other stuff knocked out (immunizations, HIPAA etc)?

TripleDegree said:
Yeah first year's going to be interesting.....

have you got all the other stuff knocked out (immunizations, HIPAA etc)?

I got my immunization stuff done a while ago, but have been constantly forgetting to get the papers from my car so I can fax it from work. I'll hopefully fax that and the medical evaluation form today. I've heard that the HIPAA online stuff isn't too bad, so I'll get that out of the way tonight.

What about you?

Hope everyone's doing well.Just wanted to give people a heads up that the option to order tickets for students is available until June 30 (Thurs) and if you are interested you should join the medical group that was set up a little while ago.

I was wondering when people are going to be coming to Columbus? I'm probably going to be there August 10 and see whats up and finalize housing and stuff.

I'm a big a fan of emergency medicine myself, and kind of interested in forensic pathology, but who knows what will catch my interest once we get into stuff.

Got all of the immunization and health records done and dropped them off a couple of weeks ago. Accepted my financial aid package online (which keeps changing because I've gotten two scholarships since my initial package :D ).

I've pretty much decided that its going to be tough to get a laptop with their requirements for much less than what their price is (even with dell's current 34% off). Has anyone had any luck getting theirs approved?

We're going to make an offer on a house tomorrow. A little big farther away than I wanted to be, but I'll sacrifice 10 minutes for a nicer house. Hoping to be moved in before school starts.

AmyBEMT said:
I'm a big a fan of emergency medicine myself, and kind of interested in forensic pathology, but who knows what will catch my interest once we get into stuff.

Got all of the immunization and health records done and dropped them off a couple of weeks ago. Accepted my financial aid package online (which keeps changing because I've gotten two scholarships since my initial package :D ).

I've pretty much decided that its going to be tough to get a laptop with their requirements for much less than what their price is (even with dell's current 34% off). Has anyone had any luck getting theirs approved?

We're going to make an offer on a house tomorrow. A little big farther away than I wanted to be, but I'll sacrifice 10 minutes for a nicer house. Hoping to be moved in before school starts.

hey congrats on the scholarships! were any of them the coveted 40K Dean's scholarships?

Hey everyone,

I'm another "lurker". I've been reading all your info and posts, but not really posting anything (for no particular reason though). However, I too will be seeing the rest of you in Columbus come August. I'll be hailing all the way from southern California. So I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring.

I had a question about housing though. Is anyone looking into BUYING a place? Economically speaking I'd rather put my "rent" towards my mortgage than into someone else's pocket. So I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what the real estate has been like there over the past 5-10 years (specifically the trend in prices)? Also, does anyone have a good realtor to get in touch with?

Lastly, does anyone know how strongly do they enforce the deadlines for the registration stuff? I know the immunization stuff is July 1st, but I don't think I'll have my stuff done by then.

Anyway, I'm really excited and looking fwd to meeting you all. :thumbup:

Shorty43 said:
Hey everyone,

I'm another "lurker". I've been reading all your info and posts, but not really posting anything (for no particular reason though). However, I too will be seeing the rest of you in Columbus come August. I'll be hailing all the way from southern California. So I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring.

I had a question about housing though. Is anyone looking into BUYING a place? Economically speaking I'd rather put my "rent" towards my mortgage than into someone else's pocket. So I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what the real estate has been like there over the past 5-10 years (specifically the trend in prices)? Also, does anyone have a good realtor to get in touch with?

Lastly, does anyone know how strongly do they enforce the deadlines for the registration stuff? I know the immunization stuff is July 1st, but I don't think I'll have my stuff done by then.

Anyway, I'm really excited and looking fwd to meeting you all. :thumbup:

i knew people during january who still didn't have their stuff done. i'm not saying you should wait anywhere near this long, but they're not going to kick you out for going past the deadline. they'll probably hassle you a bit, though. it would be a good idea to email jane trask and tell her when you expect to get your stuff finished by.

Just a quick note of appreciation to deaftoan - I think we on this thread are lucky to have an actual MS2/3 be providing us with quick answers and useful info.

TripleDegree said:
Just a quick note of appreciation to deaftoan - I think we on this thread are lucky to have an actual MS2/3 be providing us with quick answers and useful info.

Agreed, and thanks to gunit as well. :)

Congrats Shorty43, and Amy for getting those scholarships (I'm very jealous ;) ).