Official Thread: Ohio State Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TripleDegree said:
*bump - thoughts please.
Schools never "run out" of Stafford loan money of either type, so that definitely isn't the question. The only real problem may be if the school can't finish processing your loan by the pick up date, which is usually a couple of days before class (of course promissory notes and other things come before then). I'm still of the mindset that you get it in as early as possible though. Now is MUCH better then worrying later.

Members don't see this ad.

TripleDegree said:
i still hven't turned in my fafsa yet. i am not expecting any subsidized stafford loans, neither school funding. all i need is the unsubsidized stafford funding. for this, i guess as long as i get the fafsa in by april 15th, i'll be ok.

hope my reasoning isn't wrong.....?

Uh, do you realize that you're considered independent now b/c you're considered a graduate student. That guarantees you 8500 in SUBSIDIZED loans. Then you're allowed up to ~30k in unsubsidized stafford loans. As for school funding, your "need" is determined by school budget minus parental efc minus your efc. don't know what your situation is but i'd get that fafsa in. don't most schools process your app in the order they receive it? you don't want to be in the situation of all of the school funding is gone.

TripleDegree said:
*bump - thoughts please.

The sooner the better...you just never know what type of funding there might or might not be. I've always been told to turn it in as soon as possible!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my financial package. No free money for me. :oops:

I also received my financial aid package!

I did get some scholarshop money (YAY!)

But I also the max of stafford loans and I am still 12 grand short of my projected budget (damn out of state tuition)...

So, we shall see...

DrThom said:
I also received my financial aid package!

I did get some scholarshop money (YAY!)

But I also the max of stafford loans and I am still 12 grand short of my projected budget (damn out of state tuition)...

So, we shall see...

Congratulations!!! Just wondering, how much scholarship money(need or merit?) they are giving out?

i got osu's financial aid package too--and it sucked. my "scholarship" is anemic and i didn't receive any grants (not that i even know if they have grants, but still).

dammit, dammit, damn it to hell, dammit.

premedgeek said:
Congratulations!!! Just wondering, how much scholarship money(need or merit?) they are giving out?

I got 6 grand a year...

I guess that's good cause I wasnt expecting awhole lot.

I got the trustees scholarship....250 bucks a quarter...at least according to my parents who read the letter. Its the same scholarship i get now at osu for undergrad, although less $$ i think. My understanding is that a major portion of the (merit) scholarship money is given out after school has begun, based on performance and what not.

Has anyone started looking for a place to live? I'm not sure of the good places that are inexpensive and I don't want to end up in an undergrad neigborhood surrounded by frats. Any suggestions, let me know.

Jadie515 said:
Has anyone started looking for a place to live? I'm not sure of the good places that are inexpensive and I don't want to end up in an undergrad neigborhood surrounded by frats. Any suggestions, let me know.

Yes, I am wondering this as well...

Also, since we are suppose to live with a roommate according to our budget, are they gonna have a roommate database or should I start asking people here on SDN...

Jadie515 said:

All of the frats are pretty much confined to the area directly east of High Street and between ~12th and 15th or so. But the whole first two blocks E of high st. spanning the entire length of campus are pretty much undergrads.

Another nice area some may want to consider is Granville. Its south-west of campus and is mostly young professionals/older students. You just take King Ave (the very southmost part of campus....some would even say a street or two S of campus) to the West. Could even be close enough to walk or ride a bike in good weather.

Many of the areas around campus are areas that used to be not so great, like the short north, victorian villiage, clintonville) that have been fixed up since the ~1970s.

DrThom said:
Yes, I am wondering this as well...

Also, since we are suppose to live with a roommate according to our budget, are they gonna have a roommate database or should I start asking people here on SDN...

I think around late may or so, OSU sends out a housing questionaire. You can then see a list of all med students (not just M1s) who either need a roommate or have an available room available. I feel like alot of my classmates are in their current living situation due to this database... and for the most part, they're living with the same people next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for the hell of it,

BUMP

Here's a bump for what I consider:

- The coolest med school
- The one with the best lookin Ohio babes :D
- The most progressive school

TripleDegree said:

- The coolest med school

Can't argue with that.

TripleDegree said:

- The coolest med school

word :thumbup:

TripleDegree said:

Why do you say that? (An honest question...not trying to be stand-offish.)

sandg said:
Why do you say that? (An honest question...not trying to be stand-offish.)

Hard to say - but I got the feeling that the school seemed young-at-heart, and ambitious, with a strong expressed desire to crack the Top 25. Also - they're the pioneer with their ISP program, and if you see that video thingy they have on their web site, you're left with a good warm and fuzzy that you're not going to grow the cobwebs in your brain.

Come on OSU MD's-to-be - where are you???? wake up and start contributing. Its my personal mission not to let this thread sink below page 2, and I hope u'll help me with this endeavor!

OK here's a serious question. Anybody decided between ISP and IP? I am leaning towards ISP - the concept of sleeping inlate during the day to catch a late night game or so, and then starting to study at my own schedule is immensely appealing. however, i need to talk to some current students. Anyone know how I can find such individuals?

Are you getting excited? I sure am. Its approaching fast!

TripleDegree said:
Come on OSU MD's-to-be - where are you???? wake up and start contributing. Its my personal mission not to let this thread sink below page 2, and I hope u'll help me with this endeavor!

OK here's a serious question. Anybody decided between ISP and IP? I am leaning towards ISP - the concept of sleeping inlate during the day to catch a late night game or so, and then starting to study at my own schedule is immensely appealing. however, i need to talk to some current students. Anyone know how I can find such individuals?

Are you getting excited? I sure am. Its approaching fast!

Yeah, I was wondering about ISP vs IP too. However, I am learning more toward IP. I mean most lectures are optional and videotaped, so you don't really have to go to lectures. I was thinknig that you can easily turn IP into ISP, and still get benefit of lectures if you need to.

Input from current OSU student would be much appreciated :)

BTW, when do we have to choose?

premedgeek said:
Yeah, I was wondering about ISP vs IP too. However, I am learning more toward IP. I mean most lectures are optional and videotaped, so you don't really have to go to lectures. I was thinknig that you can easily turn IP into ISP, and still get benefit of lectures if you need to.

Input from current OSU student would be much appreciated :)

BTW, when do we have to choose?

i'm ISP and would be more than happy to answer any questions.

i don't know where you heard about videotaped lectures for IP. unless it's a new thing for next year, it's not currently going on. but yeah...alot of people are 'pseudo-ISP'... don't really go to class that often. i've heard class is pretty helpful though.

you have until the end of anatomy/embryology to choose, which gives you 12 weeks.

deaftoan said:

i don't know where you heard about videotaped lectures for IP. unless it's a new thing for next year, it's not currently going on. but yeah...alot of people are 'pseudo-ISP'... don't really go to class that often. i've heard class is pretty helpful though.

you have until the end of anatomy/embryology to choose, which gives you 12 weeks.
So why did you choose ISP? What is your average weekly study schedule (hours/wk)?

deaftoan said:

Hey thanks for helping out here.

I was wondering - for the first 12 weeks, what are the attendance requirements? How often is lab, and lecture? what are the general timings? Do folks generally stay later, or come in over the weekends and stuff?

Also with ISP, is it possible to work a part time job in the mornings and do the studying in the rest of the day?

I'm excited that you're on this thread!

TripleDegree said:

I was wondering - for the first 12 weeks, what are the attendance requirements? How often is lab, and lecture? what are the general timings? Do folks generally stay later, or come in over the weekends and stuff?

Also with ISP, is it possible to work a part time job in the mornings and do the studying in the rest of the day?

Why did I choose ISP? hmm.. When I first came I was 100% sure I was going to do IP, and then as I started talking to more and more m2s, ISP started sounding better and better. I think some of the major reasons are:
-I'm from california, and it was easy to go home often, or spend an extra week or so for thanksgiving or winter break.
-I hate lecture, never went to lecture in college, and always studied everything on my own from the textbook anyways. it makes a huge difference in my day to wake up at 10 am (or um, 2 pm) rather than 8 am.
-I prefer studying normal, then abnormal, rather than an integrated cirriculum.
-IP sees pharm once....the cardio drugs with the cardio module, the renal drugs with the renal module, etc. We have a module where we just do all the pharm at once, and then we go over all the drugs again once we do cardio path, renal path, etc. m2 ISPers also say that they review normal phys before they start each of the abnormal modules. all of this required review is appealing to me. makes it seem like board studying will be a little easier. ISPers have a higher board score average, but this could also be due to the fact that more of the gunners might be in ISP rather than IP.
-i like the fact that i have my own cubicle...a place on campus where i can lock up my books and laptop (also food, drinks, magazines, a frisbee, pillow, etc...), and i like how we have our own 24/7 private library (IPers use the normal health science library which closes at midnight). but don't let that scare any of you IPers... the med building is open all hours, and IPers who study late just use one of the many classrooms that we use for small group...
-the fact that i can push my test back a day or two if i feel like i don't understand the material well enough.
-makes it easy to do research or other stuff during the morning when IPers have class.
-the potential of finishing year 2 early and either taking the boards earlier or having more time to study for them.

my study schedule? i guess i'm one of the slackers... after each test, i take about a week or two off and spend way too much time socializing and doing other non-study stuff...then i spend about 10-14 days studying about 8-10 hrs a day. if you're a good studier who doesn't goof off too much, i think it's entirely possible to spend 4-6 hrs a day studying and be entirely on top of everything. people who stick to a strict schedule of studying for a good deal of hours every single weekday have said they have spent almost no nights or weekends doing school work.

for the first 12 weeks, i would seriously consider going to anatomy class. the anatomy tests are pretty easy compared to the ones after, and many of the answers are pretty much just given away in class. however it's not mandatory...you get the lecture notes and lecture slides. i never went to embryology and did just fine, same with biostatistics and epidemiology. those are all kind of 'joke' classes...the ones you study for the day or two before the test. you'll have lecture everyday starting at 8:30 am, and lab 3x/week (4x/week for head & neck), but will rarely get out after noon or 1 pm. lab time was more than enough for me, and i usually came in once a week, like sunday night, to review structures, especially the last 6 weeks. some people didn't even go to lab and just studied rohen's atlas (atlas w/ real pictures) and did fine. but lab's a great experience and a great way to start meeting the huge number of people in our class.

i think it is entirely, entirely possible to have a PT job. there's some guy who has some wierd oncall job where he works like 40-60 hrs some weeks, and 0 hrs other weeks. so some weeks he's just working and doesn't touch his books, and then studies on the off-call weeks. i could probably have time to work a FT job if i was disciplined enough. i work about 10 hrs/wk now as an undergrad anatomy TA (something IPers can't do due to their class schedule) and it doesn't put a dent in my schedule at all. a few people work at kaplan.

i'm more than happy to answer any other questions, but don't stress about IP/ISP too much right now. all of your anatomy student TAs will be ISP and will give you lots of info as you become more familiar with the cirriculum. and you guys will make friends with alot of us M2s, especially during orientation and first week, where we'll be following you around and helping you out like crazy.

TripleDegree said:

one more thing... if you've already created your OSU student account, i think today is the last day to buy student tickets for the buckeyes football season. www.hangonsloopy.com. i don't know if you guys can buy them yet or not, but it's worth a shot. i certainly felt like i was in the minority when i didn't have tickets last year.

No so exciting, but I thought i'd BUMP this and tell you about the OSU parking situation, since i'm still finishing my ugrad here.

Ok, here is parking at OSU as I see it. There are three major types of passes
A - faculty
B - staff and some graduate students (not med students)
C - junior rank and above <----we ca get this for ~$180
There are also a number of cheaper passes for the lots on the outskirts of campus where you have to ride the bus in..this is the cheapest option.
There is also a garage pass buts its insanely expensve (~500).

So those are the main passes, a higher one can always park in the lower passes spaces. There is a large dirt lot just to the west of the medical center, this is where I currently park and plan on parking next year with my C pass. The lot tends to fill up by ~10am but empties a little around lunch. If we start at 8:30 am as I understand we will, there should be pleanty of spaces.

The other main option would be to park in a distant lot and ride the bus in. Unfortunately, they are closing down the most convenient of the two remote lots, the buckeye lot, which has a bus direct to the med center every ~8 min all day long (6a-12p). So next year the only option is to park in the west campus lots and ride the south loop in. The north loop back to your car. Not as convenient as the medcenter express was, but it will still be there about every 10min.

Yeah...so thats about it...not to exciting...parking is not a huge problem here...

logos said:
No so exciting, but I thought i'd BUMP this and tell you about the OSU parking situation, since i'm still finishing my ugrad here.

Ok, here is parking at OSU as I see it. There are three major types of passes
A - faculty
B - staff and some graduate students (not med students)
C - junior rank and above <----we ca get this for ~$180
There are also a number of cheaper passes for the lots on the outskirts of campus where you have to ride the bus in..this is the cheapest option.
There is also a garage pass buts its insanely expensve (~500).

So those are the main passes, a higher one can always park in the lower passes spaces. There is a large dirt lot just to the west of the medical center, this is where I currently park and plan on parking next year with my C pass. The lot tends to fill up by ~10am but empties a little around lunch. If we start at 8:30 am as I understand we will, there should be pleanty of spaces.

The other main option would be to park in a distant lot and ride the bus in. Unfortunately, they are closing down the most convenient of the two remote lots, the buckeye lot, which has a bus direct to the med center every ~8 min all day long (6a-12p). So next year the only option is to park in the west campus lots and ride the south loop in. The north loop back to your car. Not as convenient as the medcenter express was, but it will still be there about every 10min.

Yeah...so thats about it...not to exciting...parking is not a huge problem here...

Do you know if the bus #5 makes fairly routine stops to campus? I was in Columbus a few weekends ago doing some apartment hunting and found a place I liked on the #5 bus line.

reddyroo said:
Do you know if the bus #5 makes fairly routine stops to campus? I was in Columbus a few weekends ago doing some apartment hunting and found a place I liked on the #5 bus line.

From what I can tell the closest it gets is 5th and high. However, I am terrible with the busees, hence I drive everywhere. Thats a pretty good walk to campus from there. 5th is two blocks south of King. I hope i'm looking at the right route...you can look at the route yourself at www.cota.com.

The streets are numbered from downtown north. So 1st would be in downtown. Campus is between 10th and a little beyond 18th (Lane ave is the north boundry). The medical center is essentially on 12th.

Well, it took me awhile to decide, but I will be at OSU in the fall. For those of you who know for sure, perhaps you could add your names to the "Official Matriculation" thread stuck at the top of the board. That way we could get an official list together and start to get to know one another if anyone is interested. Looking forward to meeting all of you in August.

For others of you who will be attending OSU next year here's a place to consider for housing:

The Quarry
http://www.edwardscommunities.com/Quarry_Home_Page.htm

I was in Columbus several weeks ago to do some apartment hunting and looked at many different places (The Meridian, Fox & Hounds, Marble Cliff, Governors Square, and The Quarry). The Quarry was my favorite and I've put down my deposit for the wait list.

Hope this helps for anyone doing some apartment hunting. :)

lol... i lived at the quarry for 2 years. It basicly sucked. It is very expensive, and the apartments are small (although the terra cotta floor plan is great, but out of the budget range of a med student on loans.) The only reason that i liked living there was the lake and all the ducks

How's everyone doing on the checklist of items that have to be completed prior to matriculation?

From memory, these are:

- White coat sizes
- Immunizations
- Medical records
- Final transcripts (if any)
- Getting an OSU username/password
- Finalizing and accepting the financial aid package
- Housing
- Textbooks

etc etc

I have an OSU username....other than that....I guess i'd better get going on those...

logos said:
I have an OSU username....other than that....I guess i'd better get going on those...

hey logos

how did you get one? were you an OSU undergrad?

How is everyone's housing search going? As seems to be the case with logos, I already live in Columbus so if anyone has any questions, feel free to post them or send me a PM.
For those of you definitely coming, you should add your name to the Official Matriculation thread...we need more OSU representation.

sandg said:
How is everyone's housing search going? As seems to be the case with logos, I already live in Columbus so if anyone has any questions, feel free to post them or send me a PM.
For those of you definitely coming, you should add your name to the Official Matriculation thread...we need more OSU representation.

Ok Sandg - adding my name to that thread! :)

Glad to know you'll be going to OSU too! We should all plan to hook up during the Orientation.

teh-t said:
lol... i lived at the quarry for 2 years. It basicly sucked. It is very expensive, and the apartments are small (although the terra cotta floor plan is great, but out of the budget range of a med student on loans.) The only reason that i liked living there was the lake and all the ducks

Bummer....I was hoping that I found a gem. Luckily, I won't be moving there alone, my fiance and I will be getting a two bedroom and he'll be working full-time and paying the bills. That should help with the expense and space issue. Also, the cost of living is a lot less than Seattle, so the apartment didn't seem too expensive to me. I liked the lake too! Moving from the pacific northwest to the midwest, the lake was a must! I hope that living there otherwise was pretty good, I really spent a long time searching.

reddyroo said:
Luckily, I won't be moving there alone, my fiance and I will be getting a two bedroom and he'll be working full-time and paying the bills.
Sounds like me! My wife will be working, so hopefully we can take advantage of the in-state tuition the first year. We will be living in Hilliard most likely, so I will commute every morning. For you OSU veterans, is it better to park and ride or go for the higher cost parking permit and park closer?

TripleDegree said:
hey logos

how did you get one? were you an OSU undergrad?

Yep...I'm assuming I just get to keep the same one.

Wow...is anyone else a little surprised about how much stuff we have to do for the physical...titers and all...

redrocks said:
Sounds like me! My wife will be working, so hopefully we can take advantage of the in-state tuition the first year. We will be living in Hilliard most likely, so I will commute every morning. For you OSU veterans, is it better to park and ride or go for the higher cost parking permit and park closer?

I like to spend the $$ and park closer. The "gravel pit", just a dirt lot, is very close to all of the medical stuff. Since I think we start early in the morning, finding a space there shouldnt be a problem. The bus ride in from the distant lots is very short right now, but i have no idea how long its going to be next year, as they are getting rid of the express bus to the medical center. Next year you have to park even further away and ride the "south loop" in. That bus goes to a bunch of places on campus and has a ton of stops.

logos said:
Yep...I'm assuming I just get to keep the same one.

Wow...is anyone else a little surprised about how much stuff we have to do for the physical...titers and all...

yeah i scheduled time with my doc next week - looks like its going to be a long and painful appointment.

reddyroo said:
Bummer....I was hoping that I found a gem. Luckily, I won't be moving there alone, my fiance and I will be getting a two bedroom and he'll be working full-time and paying the bills. That should help with the expense and space issue. Also, the cost of living is a lot less than Seattle, so the apartment didn't seem too expensive to me. I liked the lake too! Moving from the pacific northwest to the midwest, the lake was a must! I hope that living there otherwise was pretty good, I really spent a long time searching.
dont get me wrong, I loved the lake myself and lived there willingly for two years. I was fortunate to have two of the better apartments. It is expensive though for the midwest, but coming from seattle, it must be dirt cheap! The guy below me had the health department inspector document the mold and mildew damage in his apartment to force the quarry to address the leaks around the windows that would pour water in his bedroom - they would just paint over the mildew.
Sometimes my window would pour in rain if the wind was strong enough. If you live on the lake and use the patio a lot, you will have millions of pond bugs flying in your apartment... lol ..

Got the call from OSU yesterday - I'm in off of the deferred decision list! Yay! I actually get to live with my husband for the next four years.

Amy

PS - Another thing for you new buckeyes - check out www.hangonsloopy.com . It appears that incoming students can sign up for football tickets in June. Married students are allowed to buy two.

yesssssss. I'm in, too. now to figure out how to swing in-state tuition either this year (wife work) or ensure it for the last 3. Am I understanding this correctly - if you ever receive anything from anyone not in ohio you're not eligible? That sounds trickier than I hope it really is.

But for now - I can't wait to be an Ohio-an(?)! Is it just me or is the admissions staff here not wayyy friendlier than others you've experienced?

Congrats ribbi_j and AmyBEMT :clap:

In terms of establishing Ohio residency, I am a resident so I didn't pay much attention to those details at interview day, in the info packet, etc. However, I got the impression it is very easy to become an Ohio resident. I know at the interview they said all but 1 or 2 graduate as residents. In addition, if you look at the financial aid page on the school's website, it gives instate and out of state budgets for the first year but only instate for the last three. That ought to be a pretty strong indicator of the ease of establishing residency. Good luck and hope to see you in the fall.

Congrats ribbi_j and AmyBEMT

Hello all, I am one of the people still on the OSU alternate list... just wondering if those of you who just made it off of the list made contacts with the admissions people. I don't know much about their alternate list... it seems somewhat vague ( you can't find out your position until late June), as of now I have updated my file twice with new info and thank you's and such, but haven't sent any very personal letters or anything. Just wondering if you have any advice. OSU is where I am really pulling for so congrats and hopefully I'll be there in the fall as well. Sarah :)

ribbi_j said:
yesssssss. I'm in, too. now to figure out how to swing in-state tuition either this year (wife work) or ensure it for the last 3. Am I understanding this correctly - if you ever receive anything from anyone not in ohio you're not eligible? That sounds trickier than I hope it really is.

But for now - I can't wait to be an Ohio-an(?)! Is it just me or is the admissions staff here not wayyy friendlier than others you've experienced?
Congrats to our newest class members. I still need to get it in writing, but it looks like from the website that you have to support yourselves at least 50% to get instate tuition your 2nd year. My wife and I are also planning on getting instate the first year with her working, and from my talk with the OSU registar office it doesn't seem to bad. Here is the link with the information and Phone #
http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more//Content/Residency/main.htm
happy hunting and see you all soon!