Official SLU Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With the non-existent scholarship I received, I'll be in the ****ing cardboard box two blocks down Grand Ave.

No, seriously, I've been joking with my roommate about doing some sort of "Pursuit of Happyness" type thing (stock broker intern by day, homeless person by night). Are there any homeless shelters near SLU? You'd have to rush over there every day in order to get in line early enough to get a room.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, don't worry, there are plenty of students in our class living off the loans given out. I'm not saying that it's the ideal financial situation when you have to take out the full loan amount, but it can be done. Heck, there are a number of students in our class supporting multiple people (wives and children) on the same amount you're worried about supporting only yourself with. Plus I think the small scholarships that they give are sometimes given out later in the semester. Any of my fellow classmates care to elaborate on this??

As soon as we're done with classes in three weeks our class will be planning all the fun stuff for you guys during orientation week.

The way the scholarships worked last year was that at some point you get a letter (mine was in the fall at some point) saying you've received a scholarship. The scholarship isn't extramoney per se. They actually just put the scholarhip towards paying off your highest interest loan. In essence you recieve the same total amount of money, except less of it is loans. I would like to see this changed to where you yourself can choose if you want to use your scholarship to pay off loans, or if you want to keep it in addition to the loan money. This would make life a lot easier for the folks with kids who need a little extra dough just to squeak by. For all you incoming MSI's, if you're single, or even if you're married, you can make the money work. Rent is cheap enough that you can find somewhere affordable but cool to live. This is doubly true for the single students who can room with someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
So did you guys get scholarships after you maltriculated? I didn't know this was even possible, the financial aid didn't say anything about these.

Guys, don't worry, there are plenty of students in our class living off the loans given out. I'm not saying that it's the ideal financial situation when you have to take out the full loan amount, but it can be done. Heck, there are a number of students in our class supporting multiple people (wives and children) on the same amount you're worried about supporting only yourself with. Plus I think the small scholarships that they give are sometimes given out later in the semester. Any of my fellow classmates care to elaborate on this??

As soon as we're done with classes in three weeks our class will be planning all the fun stuff for you guys during orientation week.

Awesome....I've got a fun little suggestion, let's play a game called "Where Will I Live While I Attend An Overpriced Medical School". I'm hoping to reserve a nice place in the sewer; however, I'll settle for the cardboard box or the homeless shelter (as long as I don't have to bunk up...afterall, we all need our own space).

Awesome....I've got a fun little suggestion, let's play a game called "Where Will I Live While I Attend An Overpriced Medical School". I'm hoping to reserve a nice place in the sewer; however, I'll settle for the cardboard box or the homeless shelter (as long as I don't have to bunk up...afterall, we all need our own space).

We'll start that game once you're done with your own pity party. Seriously, the next four years are going to suck if you're already this pissed off merely about the price of school. Try to go into it with a positive attitude about having the opportunity to go to school. Sure I would have rather attended UW where I could pay 15k per year rather than 46. If you feel like that's a big enough factor for you then work hard to make sure you'll be able to go into a specialty where you'll easily be able to pay off your loans. The majority of students will be in the same boat as you and there are students who have a lot more to deal with than you pouting about trying to find an affordable place to live by yourself.

So did you guys get scholarships after you maltriculated? I didn't know this was even possible, the financial aid didn't say anything about these.

I didn't know it would work that way either. I got the financial aid package when you guys did, some time in the spring. It was all loans, and, though I was a little bummed, at least i was going to medical school.

The scholarship appeared in the fall, and when I asked the financial aid office about it, they said it hadn't appeared earlier because there was a little extra money after the first round of allocations, and since I qualified, I got one. Seriously, the money is enough. You will be able to eat just fine, and you can have a litte fun too, if you budget carefully.

Remember, the first allocation (50% of the total) happens in August, but the second allocation is 5 months away in January. The next allotment then has to last until august. If you're not careful, you'll live high on the hog in the fall, then lean for 8 months. I would advise you to just divide the total by 12 and live accordingly. This might seem like a no brainer, but now you know a successful way to plan it. If anyone is really curious, PM me and I'll send you a copy of my budget and you can see exacltly what kinds of things to expect.

We'll start that game once you're done with your own pity party. Seriously, the next four years are going to suck if you're already this pissed off merely about the price of school. Try to go into it with a positive attitude about having the opportunity to go to school. Sure I would have rather attended UW where I could pay 15k per year rather than 46. If you feel like that's a big enough factor for you then work hard to make sure you'll be able to go into a specialty where you'll easily be able to pay off your loans. The majority of students will be in the same boat as you and there are students who have a lot more to deal with than you pouting about trying to find an affordable place to live by yourself.

It was a joke, bro...chill out.

I didn't know it would work that way either. I got the financial aid package when you guys did, some time in the spring. It was all loans, and, though I was a little bummed, at least i was going to medical school.

The scholarship appeared in the fall, and when I asked the financial aid office about it, they said it hadn't appeared earlier because there was a little extra money after the first round of allocations, and since I qualified, I got one. Seriously, the money is enough. You will be able to eat just fine, and you can have a litte fun too, if you budget carefully.

Remember, the first allocation (50% of the total) happens in August, but the second allocation is 5 months away in January. The next allotment then has to last until august. If you're not careful, you'll live high on the hog in the fall, then lean for 8 months. I would advise you to just divide the total by 12 and live accordingly. This might seem like a no brainer, but now you know a successful way to plan it. If anyone is really curious, PM me and I'll send you a copy of my budget and you can see exacltly what kinds of things to expect.

Actually I'd love to see your budget because I am trying to decide to just take out the max loan amount (66k a year) and give back what I don't use. Right now I live off about 1k a month but I have a roomate so I know that cost will increase. I also plan to never eat out either (I love to cook anyway) which will save me some $$$. I won't have a roomate because I have a girlfriend that goes to PT school here in Kansas City and she will be up every other weekend. Also, I am done dealing with roomates and can't wait to live on my own and clean up after myself only!

Did anyone else get the "endowed scholarship" from SLU? or does anyone know what it's for?

I did. It's a need-based financial aid grant.

So, is it pretty granted that you'll need a car at SLU? What's everyone's opinion on that?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need a car to get to school if you live close, say around Tower Grove Park, or are willing to take the bus from a place like the Central West End. As I've said before, I ride my bike to school and it only takes me a few minutes. I live just north of the park. It is handy to have a car to go to the grocery store, but I suppose you could get away without it if you're willing to figure something out for times when you need to transport large items like groceries.

How is everyone doing getting housing for this year? Has anyone received an information packet yet? I don't remember if they were gonna send those this week or next...

How is everyone doing getting housing for this year? Has anyone received an information packet yet? I don't remember if they were gonna send those this week or next...

Haven't started yet... feel like I should though (hah). Hopefully they do send out a packet or send a link.

Is anyone looking for a roommate? Or has anyone found any good places to live. Thanks

The central west end is pretty fun area to live in. Definitely the most young people and tons of Wash U and Slu med students. Its pretty affordable with a roommate too.

If you call the student affairs office they can hook you up with a password that'll allow you on to the medcshool housing forum. That's where a lot of people post their places, look for roomies, etc.

Regarding the car, no, you don't need one to commute to school for the first 2 years, but you'll probably need one to go all over the city during 3 and 4th years.

Finding a place: use craigslist. It will at least give you a flavor of what's out there. Caveat emptor of course, but you'll find a lot more places than you will on sites like apartments.com. Once again, I will put in a plug for the Tower Grove area, it's close, it's pretty safe, and there's some pretty cool restaurants on Grand. The CWE is also pretty close, i think places are a little pricier than TG, but comparable. Another website I used recently to find our new place is Backpage.com, select St. Louis area. It's pretty similar to Craigslist, but it has some different listings too. Good luck to all of you!

I found a really nice place south of SLU right off of arsenal for 325 a month.

I just got accepted today!!! yess!

I'm looking for a roommate. Perferably someone clean and neat and quiet... and a chiller.

p.m. if you are still looking for a room mate!

Anyone get their orientation package yet?

I heard it isn't a bad place. I have a friend who went to STLCOP and lived there. He seemed to like it.

I had been planning on making a trip to St. Louis up from Texas this past week or so, but was dissuaded from doing so by my friend who just finished MS-2 there, saying that housing in StL is not going fast and I'm mistakenly assuming that the situation up there is the same as where I went to undergrad (where you basically need to secure a prelease almost a year in advance). He said most people don't come to look for housing until a few weeks before school starts, and still comfortably find places. True? False?

Has anyone been able to long into their SLU email?? The financial aid package listed my email address but I never got any info on what the password is or where to log in or anything...

Has anyone been able to long into their SLU email?? The financial aid package listed my email address but I never got any info on what the password is or where to log in or anything...

There should be a form that tells you to go to a site to change the password. It's one of the middle pages that describes it for first-time users.

I had been planning on making a trip to St. Louis up from Texas this past week or so, but was dissuaded from doing so by my friend who just finished MS-2 there, saying that housing in StL is not going fast and I'm mistakenly assuming that the situation up there is the same as where I went to undergrad (where you basically need to secure a prelease almost a year in advance). He said most people don't come to look for housing until a few weeks before school starts, and still comfortably find places. True? False?

True. The STL housing market is such that you can find a place if you come a couple weeks early. I wouldn't leave it to 1 week before orientation, but I'm pretty conservative. We found our place about 2 weeks before and that was fine. We didn't know in advance that was where we were going to live, we just found a For Rent sign while driving around a neighborhood we liked. I would seriously consider living close to school because if you don't, the gas is going to chew into your budget pretty severely. CWE, TowerGrove, South City, Shaw, Botanical Gardens are all good neighborhoods to live in. Housing in the South County area is about the same price as City, but the city has older vintage style apartments if that's what you like. Our house is 100 years old for instance. Good luck and congrats to all of you.

Yep just got it today...pretty exciting / stressful info lol

Dont' stress. You'll be busy in the morning doing orientation stuff and then the afternoons are off, unless you do some of the activities. Don't sweat finding your way around either, this isn't the first class they've had. There will be signs directing you to the LRC where you meet and, eventually to the Anatomy lab where you spend the first 10 weeks. I will be enjoying my 1 week summer vacation, so I'll see you guys when school starts for real. Just look for the simpson's guy with a green shirt:D

Dont' stress. You'll be busy in the morning doing orientation stuff and then the afternoons are off, unless you do some of the activities. Don't sweat finding your way around either, this isn't the first class they've had. There will be signs directing you to the LRC where you meet and, eventually to the Anatomy lab where you spend the first 10 weeks. I will be enjoying my 1 week summer vacation, so I'll see you guys when school starts for real. Just look for the simpson's guy with a green shirt:D

He's not kidding, Geogil's avatar is pretty much a polaroid so you ought to be able to spot him pretty easily. Except sometimes instead of a green shirt he wears a suit with dermatome map.

right on, thanks :)

he's Not Kidding, Geogil's Avatar Is Pretty Much A Polaroid So You Ought To Be Able To Spot Him Pretty Easily. Except Sometimes Instead Of A Green Shirt He Wears A Suit With Dermatome Map.

S5.

Hey, what's the story with the lecture videos? I remember someone at some point saying something about lecture videos. But honestly, the interview was a long time ago and I wasn't really listening to anyone - don't judge me, there was mirrored or possibly highly reflective glass along the way. "Who's that handsome man there? Oh, wait. What's that, it's me?"
I looked good in my suit.

Hey, what's the story with the lecture videos? I remember someone at some point saying something about lecture videos. But honestly, the interview was a long time ago and I wasn't really listening to anyone - don't judge me, there was mirrored or possibly highly reflective glass along the way. "Who's that handsome man there? Oh, wait. What's that, it's me?"
I looked good in my suit.

I also did not pay much attention to the what people were saying to me. It's kinda hard to when you're thinking about interviewing. I was actually wondering the same thing, as well as whether a syllabus for each class is pre-printed, or simply posted online? I suppose it doesn't matter much, but it would be nice to know.

The syllabus for each class is printed and given out a few days before the beginning of the block. Each one is about an inch thick, give or take. You can take notes in it since many professors follow pretty closely what's written. I STRONGLY recommend pre-reading for each lecture. Especially anatomy, at least until you get a feel for what study techniques work for you.
Regarding video: I'm not sure if they're giong to do it for MS1's or not. All my friends said it wasn't that great last year, but that class attendace dropped way off when the system went live.

Hey guys,

I don't mean to create any misunderstandings about my desire to attend SLU with this question; it's something that I need to know: Does SLU allow you to apply to other med schools during the year that you have deferred matriculation there?

I really need to know the answer to this question, for reasons that have nothing to do with my desire to attend SLU.

Hey guys,

I don't mean to create any misunderstandings about my desire to attend SLU with this question; it's something that I need to know: Does SLU allow you to apply to other med schools during the year that you have deferred matriculation there?

I really need to know the answer to this question, for reasons that have nothing to do with my desire to attend SLU.

Why would you do this? You have an acceptance. This would be a difficult subject to discuss with the school though, so hopefully someone has an answer for you here. Good luck.

I have no idea whether or not they'll allow you to do this. Some schools do while others make you go through the entire process again. I obviously don't know what your reasons for this would be, but having gone through the application process twice myself, there's no reason I would do it again if I didn't have to and I would encourage you to think long and hard about it yourself. If it's simply a cost issue where you think you'll get into your state school next year, then you have to consider the opportunity cost due to the fact that you'll miss out on one year's salary (and that's one year's pay at the end of your career, not your starting pay). To answer your question definitively you'll probably have to ask the admission office.

Hey all. I am going to be one of the group leaders for orientation week and I look forward to meeting some of you. It seems that geogil, and Boon-dawg have answered most of your questions, but if you have any more about orientation let me know. Also, any married students, there is going to be a sweet family BBQ at Booner's house during orientation week. Plan on it.

btw, how's that full body dermatome tattoo coming along geogil?

Hey all. I am going to be one of the group leaders for orientation week and I look forward to meeting some of you. It seems that geogil, and Boon-dawg have answered most of your questions, but if you have any more about orientation let me know. Also, any married students, there is going to be a sweet family BBQ at Booner's house during orientation week. Plan on it.

btw, how's that full body dermatome tattoo coming along geogil?

Is there anything else we need to do after we finish all the stuff in the orientation packet?

When is the deadline to accept/decline financial aid awards?

My landlords are looking to rent the other side of the duplex I live in with two other MS-2s. It's 3 BDRM, 2 bath - lots more details in the ad.

Check out their Craigslist ad: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/737020561.html

Act fast and contact Steven (as listed on craigslist) if you are interested - this is a great place to live.

My roommates and I all love the Tower Grove neighborhood. There are fun restaurants/bars within walking distance, plus lots of new places are moving in this summer! It's a 10 min or less drive to school, depending on the time of day. After one year of living elsewhere (ie CWE), a lot of my classmates are moving here for the upcoming year :).

Feel free to email me with any questions you may have! [email protected]

Is the school really strict on receiving payment on Aug. 1, or will they work with you and give you an extension if, say, your loans are still being processed and haven't been disbursed yet?

Has anyone ever had a situation where the payment deadline had arrived but their loans hadn't been disbursed yet?

Welcome incoming class of 2012. I am an MS3 here at SLU and I just wanted to drop by this thread to say how much I love it here at SLU. I believe that you will find that 90% of the professors/M.D.'s really enjoy teaching and are excellent. Practically speaking, the syllabus is incredibly thorough as are the other A/V materials provided. The only thing not to like, as some on this thread have mentioned, is the tuition. My advice for you...enjoy the rest of your summer and make sure you are well rested when Anatomy begins. In my estimation Anatomy was the most difficult and time consuming course of the first year, just to warn you...it's all downhill from there! :)