Official SLU Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swandiving

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Future Billikens Unite! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, congrats on your acceptance! I'm just finishing up Anatomy (our final is Friday)....so I'm on SDN reading Pre-Allo posts. :rolleyes:

You might consider starting the "Official SLU Class of 2012" thread in Allopathic, in the Allopathic Class area--it hasn't been established yet. :D

Congratulations again, and hopefully we'll meet next year!

Just wanted to write a quick "hi" and congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats all!

August of '08 is a ways away still, but I know it will go quickly.

Here's to getting into medical school!!!!!:D

So... what did you guys think of the school and the city? My stay was very brief, so my thoughts are limited. I literally got there in the morning, went straight to the school, tour + interview, then had to leave.

I didn't see anything except the airport, a few roads, my host's place, and the campus. I am psyched about the strong clinical experiences I was hearing about. (Isn't there something wrong with med-students being excited about gun shots and stab wounds making the surgery clinical more interesting...)

I liked the students that I met, so I have no reason not to be excited to end up there...its still so early.

Other than that..it was overcast while there...and humid. I don't really like the humidity, but could get used to it.

[pj];5722716 said:
So... what did you guys think of the school and the city? My stay was very brief, so my thoughts are limited. I literally got there in the morning, went straight to the school, tour + interview, then had to leave.

I won't be going to SLU med next year (I'll be at SIU!!) but I've been at WashU for 4 years and can give you some insight into the city.

Like the above poster said, the weather is really hit or miss. I guess I'm kind of used to it, but my friends who came from outside the midwest did complain quite a bit feshman year. We have very pronounced seasons!

St. Louis is great entertainment wise. SLU is right on the border of forest park and close to the central-west end and the loop, both places that people in their 20's tend to congregate on the weekends. Downtown we have Busch Stadium where the Cardinals play, the EJ dome where the Rams play, and the Scottrade Center for the Blues. The Arch is located off the river in the "landing" area, along with lots of bars and restaurants. There are a lot other places to eat and hang out in Dogtown, Clayton, Soulard, and the Hill.

*as long as you stay out of North St. Louis (no reason to go there), you won't see much cime. That said, SLU is right on the border of where things go from good to bad, similarly to WashU*

SLU is a great school. My sister and a few of my good friends have gone there or are currently there for undergrad and speak highly of it. Let me know if you have any other questions about the area!

Thanks for the congrats everyone! And "Hi" to my future class/school-mates!

I didn't get to see very much of the city either when I visited, but I rather liked what I did manage to glimpse. What struck me the most was how some parts were very metropolitan (lots of big buildings, bars, cafes, shopping, etc) while others seemed downright suburban (like the quiet, tree-lined neighborhood of homes where my host lived). I enjoyed this duality a lot; St Louis seems to have all of the "big city" benefits without being totally overwhelming. If that makes sense. As for the school, I loved it, especially all of the people I met. It could just be a Midwest VS East Coast thing (I've lived my whole life in the NYC area), but the overwhelming friendliness of every student, faculty member, and SLU employee I met that day was such a great surprise to me. Compared to other schools I've visited, they were a great deal more pleasant and significantly less wound-up and stressed.

If I have any questions about the area, and I'm sure I will once it comes time to apartment-hunt, I will definitely be taking you up on that offer, thRob.

Housing is really affordable in St Louis. I live about 1 mile from school and pay 600 for 1000 square foot pad with my wife. Don't sign any rental agreements without having a look around the neighborhood though (seems like common sense). Some streets are really nice and then two blocks over, it's the ghetto. I would also not rent anything that will require you commuting on highway 64/40 since it's closed/under construction for the next few years. Tower Grove area is great, so is the Central West End which is near WashU. We look forward to seeing you at SLU next year!

Just thought I'd leave an open invite on this board for anyone who wants to ask questions. I'm a first year (along with geogil, but he's sorta crazy, so watch out for his answers) and I couldn't be happier with school and life in general here. Honestly the only down side of school is the tuition, but if you're going to have to pay more than in-state I'd give SLU a good hard look to see if it's a good fit for you. I'm married and have an eight month old daughter, so if anyone's worrying about school and family I'd be happy to answer those questions too. Just a warning, it may take a little while for me to respond, but I look forward to helping anyone interested in SLU.

Just thought I'd leave an open invite on this board for anyone who wants to ask questions. I'm a first year (along with geogil, but he's sorta crazy, so watch out for his answers) and I couldn't be happier with school and life in general here. Honestly the only down side of school is the tuition, but if you're going to have to pay more than in-state I'd give SLU a good hard look to see if it's a good fit for you. I'm married and have an eight month old daughter, so if anyone's worrying about school and family I'd be happy to answer those questions too. Just a warning, it may take a little while for me to respond, but I look forward to helping anyone interested in SLU.

Thanks booner. Despite his maligning, I would also be happy to answer any PM's about SLU. One concern I had before coming was safety. The only thing I can say is, be smart. Don't go out at night alone. I live about 1 mile from school in a pretty safe neighborhood. The school itself is great. The faculty really listen to the students and try to make improvements in the curriculum based on our input. They're very involved in making sure that students are happy and healthy as well. good luck to the applicants and be sure to smile and say thank you ! ( i can only think of one rude applicant, so if a medstudent gives you directions... say thanks!)

Geogil and Booner,

I am currently a School of Public Health Student here at Saint Louis University, and I was wondering how student with M.P.H.'s before entering medical school are perceived at SLU. I'm currently in my application process, and I have heard the occasional rumor that some medical schools do not like students with a public health background before entering, despite the fact that most schools now offer this as a dual M.D./M.P.H. Just wanted to know your thoughts concerning SLU's viewpoint. Thanks and happy holidays!

Carlos

Members don't see this ad :)
Carlos,
Unfortunately I can't say that we've had much experience with that. I haven't heard of anyone in our class having an MPH so I can't gauge the reaction. Obviously the admin committee would probably see it as a plus, but as far as the other students go, it'll probably just get lost in the sea of information regarding all of the new classmates after the first week or so.

Geogil and Booner,

I am currently a School of Public Health Student here at Saint Louis University, and I was wondering how student with M.P.H.'s before entering medical school are perceived at SLU. I'm currently in my application process, and I have heard the occasional rumor that some medical schools do not like students with a public health background before entering, despite the fact that most schools now offer this as a dual M.D./M.P.H. Just wanted to know your thoughts concerning SLU's viewpoint. Thanks and happy holidays!

Carlos

Hi everyone I was just accepted to SLU...Carlos I just finished my MPH (not at SLU) I have one other acceptance as well .

Geogil and Booner,

Carlos

SOrry Carlos, but I just don't know. In my own opinion, I would think that it would strengthen your app. I would think that having an MPH would demonstrate a deeper knowledge of the health care system than the average pre-med has, and consequently the fact that you're applying to medschool with that knowledge demonstrates your comittment. Good luck.

Hi everyone I was just accepted to SLU...Carlos I just finished my MPH (not at SLU) I have one other acceptance as well .

Congrats. SLU is great, but it's expensive. Think very hard about price because they just changed the rules on residents paying back loans.....

Congrats. SLU is great, but it's expensive. Think very hard about price because they just changed the rules on residents paying back loans.....

I'll give the flip side of this argument. A family member of mine recently graduated from a state medical school and strongly recommended NOT to just pick a school based on price. He said that because of the funding issues at his school, he had run-down facilities, bad professors, a low attending:student ratio, and a bad experience overall.

Obviously, there are some great state schools without these issues, but be careful. Based on what I've heard from him, I'm glad that I chose to come to SLU over my state school. Also, the gap in tuition is closing between public and private. His tuition was close to 30k, ours is ~40k. 40k+ extra has been worth it, in my opinion. Also, cost of living is cheap in StL.

Overall, I think I have gotten a great education at SLU and recommend it highly. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I just got my acceptance to SLU. I am way exicited as I loved my tour of the school. My main concern is the price. How generous is the financial aid at SLU? I know I will be in enormous amounts of debt wherever I go but to be honest, cost is definitely a factor. Thanks for any info.

I just got my acceptance to SLU. I am way exicited as I loved my tour of the school. My main concern is the price. How generous is the financial aid at SLU? I know I will be in enormous amounts of debt wherever I go but to be honest, cost is definitely a factor. Thanks for any info.

The aid is mainly in the form of loans. The current year's disbursment was about 65K, if you borrow the full amount. Tuition is 45K, and the rest is for your living and school expenses (books, rent, food, health insuranceetc). For a single person, this amount of money would be fine. I would recommend borrowing less than the full amount if you're single. I'm married and have to borrow the full amount, and man, the budget is tight. If you're married with kids, you will need some kind of outside assistance, usually in the form of food stamps, WIC, medicaid, or extra loan money for health insurance.

Some of the financial aid is in scholarships, need based. To qualify, fill out your FAFSA, and do your taxes before march. Get your parents to do theirs before march as well, since that's the deadline. SLU (and other schools) require your parent's info when assessing your need for scholarships. I don't know why, but even if you're independant, you need their info. I know several people who've gotten a 5K scholarship this year. The way that works is they just use the 5K to pay off some of your grad PLUS loans, which are at a usurous 8% interest.

Hope that helps, and good luck. I really like SLU and think that it's worth the cost, don't construe my earlier post to mean otherwise. I only mention price because, face it, at 65+K a year, that's $260,000 in principal to repay, let alone interest. Congrats again, and we hope to see you in August!

Accepted! Pumped!... Congrats everyone

Hey all, I am an MS2 here at SLU and I just wanted to drop by this forum and give a plug for the school. I absolutely love our medical school! The curriculum is great (as evidenced by our high Step 1 scores), the faculty is extremely friendly/helpful, and 98% of the students here work together and help each other out. So...for those of you visiting this thread and thinking about coming to SLU...do it. You wont be disappointed. :)

That last post is encouraging because I recently made my final decision to attend SLU over IU... even though IU is my state school I really did not care for it at all and I loved SLU!! I'm really excited about it :)
I was wondering (for those of you already at the medical school) where are some good places to look into living? Also, any suggestions on how to find roommates? (I won't know a single other person in the city)

There is no one area where all the students live. Many kids in my class live in the central west end, which is about 2-3 miles from Slu med. It's a pretty trendy area, lots of young people, restaurants. CWE is near forest park and washU hosptials (Barnes and Childrens). Lots of older apartnements.

Several of my classmates (myself included) live south of campus on Grand or near Tower Grove Park (about 1.5 miles south of school) there are lots of great old apartments. Rent is about 600-700 for 1 or 2 br, (some can find a 3br for this much even). Pluses: next to tower grove park, where you can run, play frisbee etc. Great restauratns (for those rare splurges). Minuses: have to be careful at night,

talk to someone about where you're going to live before moving (i.e. about the neighborhood) Any of the SLU medstudents here on SDN would be able to tell you (Booner, myself, AKMD2B I thinker there are some others).

Some of my classmates live in Soulard and Dogtown which are more downtown neighborhoods. I also have some which live in the south county, which is about 20 minutes south on I 55. Some also live in Kirkwood, Maplewood, Clayton. Those are about 10-20 minutes away by car .

Points to consider: I-64/hwy 40 is under construction for the next two years (read totally closed), so living north of it will require a longer commute.

Personally, I think that living close is a good idea since you can commute by bike which saves you from gas and parking expenses.

Places to avoid: north saint louis. Anything more than a few blocks north of SLU undergrad (about 1 mile north of SLU med). East st. Louis. Don't live in illinois. MOre than 3-4 blocks east of Grand between Arsenal and Chippewa. Due west of the medical school, unless it's at least 2 miles.

Re: the roomate, some of my classmates found each other via SDN, so you can try networking here. Beyond that I don't really know since I'm married as are most of my friends so we brought our roomates with us. GOOD LUCk and you'll love SLU.

Thanks geogil!! I appreciate the detailed response... that was really helpful!!

You're welcome. New Billikens, keep posting! we're already in the process of planning your orientation week in Aug. Take a vacation this summer because after orientation is Gross Anatomy, which comes at your pretty fast and furious.

Greetings, all. I'm an SLU MS-1 also. I would second everything geogil and Booner have said. Hit www.apartments.com and get an idea for rent rates in various areas. The zip code for the school is 63104, so you can use that for a "radius search" to cut down your commute time.

In addition, the SLU Med website also has a housing page/forum http://medschool.slu.edu/housing/ that you can access to look for the more popular apartment complexes among students, as well as a message board to find roommates. So, for those of you who are looking, that might be a good starting point--if SDN doesn't work for you. :)

(On that note, I will have a very nice studio loft coming available in June...a three minute walk from school in a very secure building with gated parking. You only pay rent, electric and cable!) :thumbup::laugh:

And finally... please, for yourselves, your parents, your spouses/significant others--PLEASE have fun this summer! And start having fun now. The greatest 8 months of my life (up to this point) were between getting my acceptance and the start of school last August. I was finally able to relax, enjoy my family, take vacations without feeling obligated to read/study/plan, and feel like a real person! Gross Anatomy, and the rest of first year, is like drinking from a fire hose. You'll have plenty of time to learn it starting in August... after a totally rockin' Orientation Week!

Hey All,

So I was accepted to SLU back in October. Recently I have also been accepted to another school and now I am having a hard time deciding. I was hoping to be able to come back to St. Louis and take another look at the school, however the only time I can come is on the weekends. I know the school does not have organized tours on the weekends, but is there any sort of student contact I could get in touch with to possibly just give me an informal look at the school. It has been a really long time since I saw it, and the first time I was there I flew in before the interview and out afterwards. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey All,

So I was accepted to SLU back in October. Recently I have also been accepted to another school and now I am having a hard time deciding. I was hoping to be able to come back to St. Louis and take another look at the school, however the only time I can come is on the weekends. I know the school does not have organized tours on the weekends, but is there any sort of student contact I could get in touch with to possibly just give me an informal look at the school. It has been a really long time since I saw it, and the first time I was there I flew in before the interview and out afterwards. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Are you flying in for this informal look? If so, I would save the couple hundred in airfare. If you're relatively local, someone could probably give you a little look 'round. Frankly, I don't know if it's worth it. All of the schools I interviewed at were about the same as far as facilities. You'll be in lecture halls all of MS1, if you come to class. They're putting a video system up to film lectures, which is online for MS2 right now, but they're still working on it for MS1. Next year it should be online. All of the seats are padded, there's good lighting, long library hours, lots of computers. If you're still dying to see, call the office of student affairs and they might be able to set something up:
Phone: (314) 977-9827
Email:[email protected]
If that fails, try PM'in one of us

Lacrosse,
Like geogil said, PM one of us if student affairs doesn't work out (honestly, I'm not sure how well it'll work). I could probably do it, depending on when you're planning on coming out here. And if I can't do it, we could probably find someone to give you a trip around school.

Hey everyone.....I'm a current MSI and thought I'd chime in on the housing issue.

The housing forum on SLU's website (see LMarie's post) is great, that's how I met my current roommate (also an MSI) and it's working out great.

I guess my post concerns people coming from far away who can't afford to come out here and look for housing before school starts. My roommate and I picked one of the housing options listed on SLU's website and signed a three month lease, which was slightly more expensive but totally worth it in case you end up hating the place. We ended up staying here, but I just thought I'd throw that option out there for those of you who might start stressing out about housing soon :)

Congrats to everyone and, just like my classmates, feel free to PM me with any questions!

Other housing tips:
Craigslist: Search housing on ST. Louis Craigslist to get a feel for what's available and what the costs are. Most listings are by neighborhood, but not neighborhoods that you might find named on a map. Neighborhoods I'd recommend looking for: Tower grove, Tower grove heights, Shaw, Botanical garden, just to name a few (you'll detect a theme here, if you compare these with my previous posts!). Of course, Caveat Emptor. There are always listings going up, so don't fret being able to find a nice place to live, even if you can't afford to come out and look. We moved out here without somewhere definite to live, so it can be done. That having been said, it's better to crash with someone you know here for a little to scope out the rental situation.

Another option is to buy a house. You can wind up paying less per month in a mortgage than you would for rent, but of course there are also the responsibilities of home ownership. Booner can talk a little more about this...

Regarding the move: I used ABF freight to ship our stuff in a truck. Much easier than U-haul, and comparable in cost.

I've always been curious about buying a house during med school and how it works. Anyone care to explain? For example, how do you make a down payment?

Other housing tips:

Regarding the move: I used ABF freight to ship our stuff in a truck. Much easier than U-haul, and comparable in cost.

I am also an MS-1, I know Booner and geogil. I am also married and have a 20 month old, so if you have Q's about how to live off loans, not get divorced, etc... in medical school, I am doing pretty good so far. I used ABF as well. If you are coming from the west coast you don't want to drive a UHAUL all the way across boring Nebraska etc... stressful and gas is too expensive. Check out UPACK (which is ABF) it is cheaper and you don't have to drive or buy gas.

BTW, SLU is an awesome school.

Hi, just saying hi to all my future classmates!

Thanks to the current med students for posting on housing tips. I'll probably have more questions once I get to the point of realizing I have to find a way to move cross country (hasn't quite sunk in yet).

There is one question I have: I grew up in Cali (meaning I've never had to drive in snow in my entire life). I drive a regular car, is that going to be enough to survive the winter? Don't you guys get blizzards and snow measured in feet? More poor car would be totally buried.

On my interview day my interviewer mentioned you guys had a "snow day" and the school was closed, and I was like :eek:.

I'm really looking forward to attending SLU, I'm just looking for survival tips :D.

Thanks to the current med students for posting on housing tips. I'll probably have more questions once I get to the point of realizing I have to find a way to move cross country (hasn't quite sunk in yet).

There is one question I have: I grew up in Cali (meaning I've never had to drive in snow in my entire life). I drive a regular car, is that going to be enough to survive the winter? Don't you guys get blizzards and snow measured in feet? More poor car would be totally buried.

On my interview day my interviewer mentioned you guys had a "snow day" and the school was closed, and I was like :eek:.

I'm really looking forward to attending SLU, I'm just looking for survival tips :D.

lol... we're not in alaska. We get a couple of feet of snow each winter, but its really not that bad. Certainly, there is some difficulty getting adjusted to driving in the snow, but you don't need to go out and buy a 4x4. I drive a monte carlo and it's never been a problem for me. I'm not quite sure if i'm going to slu next year (I'm waiting on a decision from one other school), but if I end up going there, I look forward to meeting all of you!

It's not the siberian tundra here. We've had a few snow storms, but nothing that's put more than 8 inches on the ground at one time. This year what usually happened was we'd have a super nice day, temps in the high 50's, then the next day it would snow all day, the snow would stay for about 2 days, and by the fourth day, it's all gone. The temperatures are usually lows in the 20's, maybe teens, and highs in the 30's, 40's. It's really not bad, even the californians in our class have gotten used to it:laugh:

lol... we're not in alaska. We get a couple of feet of snow each winter, but its really not that bad. Certainly, there is some difficulty getting adjusted to driving in the snow, but you don't need to go out and buy a 4x4. I drive a monte carlo and it's never been a problem for me. I'm not quite sure if i'm going to slu next year (I'm waiting on a decision from one other school), but if I end up going there, I look forward to meeting all of you!

It's not the siberian tundra here. We've had a few snow storms, but nothing that's put more than 8 inches on the ground at one time. This year what usually happened was we'd have a super nice day, temps in the high 50's, then the next day it would snow all day, the snow would stay for about 2 days, and by the fourth day, it's all gone. The temperatures are usually lows in the 20's, maybe teens, and highs in the 30's, 40's. It's really not bad, even the californians in our class have gotten used to it:laugh:

Okay, so I guess I had a slightly warped impression of the weather :laugh:. Its like my cousins in New Jersey who think everyone in California has a tan year round and we have earthquakes each week....not to mention all the movie stars that I see walking around.

Okay, so I guess I had a slightly warped impression of the weather :laugh:. Its like my cousins in New Jersey who think everyone in California has a tan year round and we have earthquakes each week....not to mention all the movie stars that I see walking around.

Wait, that's not what california's like? Aaronkun's been lying to me!!!!

BTW nosnibor, that's a great avatar. Why not the wuchereria man?

I GOT ACCEPTED TO SLU!

I've been eyeing this thread ever since I interviewed and now I can't believe I'm fortunate enough to be a part of it!

For those wondering about their status, etc., here was my timeline:

Secondary submitted: 11/15
Interviewed: 02/11
Accepted: 03/10

I am incredibly pumped about SLU. It is indeed my top choice amongst schools I interviewed at, for many reasons.

Now I have to immediately turn my attention to housing. Are there good locations still available this late in the cycle? I'm looking for a safe neighborhood that's ideally no more than 5 min from campus. Is that too idealistic? As for the place itself, it doesn't have to be big or fancy or anything, just livable.

I GOT ACCEPTED TO SLU!

I've been eyeing this thread ever since I interviewed and now I can't believe I'm fortunate enough to be a part of it!

For those wondering about their status, etc., here was my timeline:

Secondary submitted: 11/15
Interviewed: 02/11
Accepted: 03/10

I am incredibly pumped about SLU. It is indeed my top choice amongst schools I interviewed at, for many reasons.

Now I have to immediately turn my attention to housing. Are there good locations still available this late in the cycle? I'm looking for a safe neighborhood that's ideally no more than 5 min from campus. Is that too idealistic? As for the place itself, it doesn't have to be big or fancy or anything, just livable.

Congratulations on your acceptance!!! :hardy: We will be classmates!

Didn't want to bee too offensive 22q11 microdeletion boy. BUt I just might put that up next. Anyway, I like prions, well Kuru at least. Maybe I should change it to Dracunculus medinensis.

And for the person who just got accepted. There are tons of places close (within 5 minutes) of school in perfectly safe locations. I live 5 mins from school by bike. It is best to search on craigslist for places around here, there are lots of duplexes and stuff. Search in the Shaw neighborhood or the Tower Grove neighborhood. Good luck and congrats.

Oh, and I am from Cali (Holla, geogil and Boon-dawg) also, driving in snow is fun. Just watch out for the natives, they are really bad in the snow. And the reason we got a snow day was not because there was too much snow, it is because there is a total of 1 snow plow in the city...or so it seems. PLus, St. Louisians get so scared of the snow.

I am also an MS-1, I know Booner and geogil. I am also married and have a 20 month old, so if you have Q's about how to live off loans, not get divorced, etc... in medical school, I am doing pretty good so far. I used ABF as well. If you are coming from the west coast you don't want to drive a UHAUL all the way across boring Nebraska etc... stressful and gas is too expensive. Check out UPACK (which is ABF) it is cheaper and you don't have to drive or buy gas.

BTW, SLU is an awesome school.

I'd be interested in your insight regarding marriage in med school, as that is an option for me, although I don't plan on having any kids until residency. Your insight would be appreciated.

I already got a thread started about that, so your input may be more appropriate there:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=504936

BOoner and Aaronkun both have kids, we have one on the way, so it can be done. Personally I think that being married is a big plus. It's really nice to have someone who is a constant and to whom you can gripe about tough days. Dating a fellow classmate just seems a little wierd.

Regarding the posts on housing, read all my posts. The neighborhoods I suggested are all about 5-10 minutes from campus.

BOoner and Aaronkun both have kids, we have one on the way, so it can be done. Personally I think that being married is a big plus. It's really nice to have someone who is a constant and to whom you can gripe about tough days.

I second that. I love being married. It is great to always have motivation to keep studying, as well as having a great support who doesn't have anything to do with school. As for kids, just remember that advanced paternal and maternal age is a really bad thing in terms of genetic disease! Just messing around. Having kids is totally doable in med school. It is pretty crazy sometimes, but it definately won't be ANY easier in residency. Personally I think it would be easier to have little kids now and older kids (4-5 yo) in residency. Little kids are more crazy and hectic. I have a 20 month old and one on the way. Keep any other questions coming.

its looking more likely that I will be heading to SLU next year! I look forward to joining you guys!

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I'll be joining SLU in August and I don't want to live by myself. PM me if you are interested and we can see if our life styles are compatible.

(ps- I'm female btw.)

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I'll be joining SLU in August and I don't want to live by myself. PM me if you are interested and we can see if our life styles are compatible.

(ps- I'm female btw.)

If you're hot, we're compatible :D

Woah, is St. Louis flooded?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

Are y'all alright?

How bad is it in downtown near campus? Have people been evacuated? Do heavy rains and flooding occur regularly in Missouri?
I'm not going to SLU, but I do live here now and work on the med campus. The areas around the school are not flooded, nor will they be. I was doing undergrad at SLU when the Flood of '93 hit, and the school wasn't affected then, either. Both campuses are far enough away from any streams or rivers that there's a slim-to-none chance of it creating an issue there.

Downtown is fine from what I understand, except for the road that runs between the Arch and the Mississippi River, which is covered at this point.

It's out in the outlying areas, especially around the Meramec River, which are having problems and where you're seeing the sandbagging and road closures. Although I'm sure a few students live in those areas, I would doubt that it's many as it's about 25-30 minutes from school. If you don't live in the flood plain, it will be very inconvenient due to road closures, but your house/apartment is probably fine. (Mine is.) If you live in the flood plain, it's really a bad week for you. :(