Official SLU Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not going to SLU, but I do live here now and work on the med campus. The areas around the school are not flooded, nor will they be. I was doing undergrad at SLU when the Flood of '93 hit, and the school wasn't affected then, either. Both campuses are far enough away from any streams or rivers that there's a slim-to-none chance of it creating an issue there.

Downtown is fine from what I understand, except for the road that runs between the Arch and the Mississippi River, which is covered at this point.

It's out in the outlying areas, especially around the Meramec River, which are having problems and where you're seeing the sandbagging and road closures. Although I'm sure a few students live in those areas, I would doubt that it's many as it's about 25-30 minutes from school. If you don't live in the flood plain, it will be very inconvenient due to road closures, but your house/apartment is probably fine. (Mine is.) If you live in the flood plain, it's really a bad week for you. :(

I also live in St. Louis and agree with this. Unless you're either on a riverfront or living somewhere in South County (i.e. Fenton), there's not really a problem. As far as the frequency of the flooding, this is the first major case that I can remember since 1993.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard SLUMED has a video lecture service? Do any of you guys know about this or how it works?

[pj];6342660 said:
I've always been curious about buying a house during med school and how it works. Anyone care to explain? For example, how do you make a down payment?

Most physicians end up using one of the 'doctors' loans programs. Essentially they are low interest rates (comparitively), no PMI (private mortgage insurance) and no down payment loans. It sounds like a scam, but it's big name banks who do this (but don't publicize it). They presume they will make it up on selling you services in the future.

Medical students do buy houses... and it's a pretty reasonable alternative to paying rent as long as you buy right and think ahead (going to have a family - so will need the space, or plan on roommates to help defray the costs). Rates are down a lot right now - as well as housing prices - which makes things a lot more affordable.

If you have questions about this, PM me. (I'm a doctor and a real estate broker as well)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard SLUMED has a video lecture service? Do any of you guys know about this or how it works?

Currently it is running only for the MSII lectures, but will include MSI next year. You log into a website and you can watch the whole thing in the comfort of your home. THe power points are uploaded directly to the webpage, so you watch the prof talk about them as he uses the mouse to point to stuff. I'll still go to class myself though.

I am attending SLU next year and looking for a roommate, PM me if you are interested.

Most physicians end up using one of the 'doctors' loans programs. Essentially they are low interest rates (comparitively), no PMI (private mortgage insurance) and no down payment loans. It sounds like a scam, but it's big name banks who do this (but don't publicize it). They presume they will make it up on selling you services in the future.

Medical students do buy houses... and it's a pretty reasonable alternative to paying rent as long as you buy right and think ahead (going to have a family - so will need the space, or plan on roommates to help defray the costs). Rates are down a lot right now - as well as housing prices - which makes things a lot more affordable.

If you have questions about this, PM me. (I'm a doctor and a real estate broker as well)

Thanks for the info! I figured my question would simply go unanswered, but thankfully not. Still in the process of figuring out things and will probably take things one step at a time. But I'll likely send a PM your way sometime later.

I was wondering if some current students could give their input regarding SLU's overall cost. Right now SLU is the only acceptance I have, and I am perfectly happy with it because it was the school I liked the most out of all the schools I've interviewed at. I got an invite last week for an interview with NYMC in April, but I see SLU beating it from so many different angles that I'm probably just going to cancel and open that interview up for someone else.

The real issue is with the 4 Texas schools I'm waitlisted at. Right now I'm not even in a situation where I have to worry about this, but if I get off any of waitlists in the coming months, I'd like to have some insight ahead of time.

All Texas med schools have one gigantic trump card over SLU: tuition in texas med schools, for an in-state student, is around $10,000/yr (1/4 of what SLU charges). I feel that SLU is a better fit for me program-wise and education-wise, but when you throw cost and debt into the picture, I now really have to consider whether SLU's advantages are worth 4x the tuition. I would like to convince myself that they are. Each of the Texas schools I interviewed with, except one, had major drawbacks that in my mind were tragic flaws. I just want to make sure that SLU's overall cost won't end up being a bigger tragic flaw 10 years down the road when it's time to face my debt.

One Texas school gave its breakdown of overall cost (tuition, fees, supplies, cost of living, transportation, etc.) and it all came out to around $30,000 a year. For current students, what has been your overall cost of attending SLU (expenses) per year?

At 30K a year, even from a Texas school overall debt would go over 100K. What kind of debt can someone expect to have when they finish from SLU? And how much longer do you guys think it would take to pay off a SLU debt vs. a Texas school debt?

(If it's relevant, I guess I could elaborate on what exactly I like so much about SLU and what exactly I didn't like about the Texas schools, and maybe you could tell me if I'm giving certain considerations too much weight or mistakenly assuming that SLU has a comparative advantage in a certain area, etc.)

I should've looked this up before posting:

from SLU's website:

Student Budget
2006-2007 Academic Year

Tuition $40,520
Fees $2,012
Housing/Room and Board $11,988
Books and Supplies $1,040
Transportation $3,232
Miscellaneous $3,693
Total $62,485

so it could be said that SLU costs about 2x as much overall per year, and therefore my final debt would be 2x as high, and therefore take slightly more than 2x as long to pay back (slightly longer because of interest)?

What I deduce from this is that the cost of living in the city of St. Louis is comparable to Texas. That's good to know.

I was wondering if some current students could give their input regarding SLU's overall cost. Right now SLU is the only acceptance I have, and I am perfectly happy with it because it was the school I liked the most out of all the schools I've interviewed at. I got an invite last week for an interview with NYMC in April, but I see SLU beating it from so many different angles that I'm probably just going to cancel and open that interview up for someone else.

The real issue is with the 4 Texas schools I'm waitlisted at. Right now I'm not even in a situation where I have to worry about this, but if I get off any of waitlists in the coming months, I'd like to have some insight ahead of time.

All Texas med schools have one gigantic trump card over SLU: tuition in texas med schools, for an in-state student, is around $10,000/yr (1/4 of what SLU charges). I feel that SLU is a better fit for me program-wise and education-wise, but when you throw cost and debt into the picture, I now really have to consider whether SLU's advantages are worth 4x the tuition. I would like to convince myself that they are. Each of the Texas schools I interviewed with, except one, had major drawbacks that in my mind were tragic flaws. I just want to make sure that SLU's overall cost won't end up being a bigger tragic flaw 10 years down the road when it's time to face my debt.

One Texas school gave its breakdown of overall cost (tuition, fees, supplies, cost of living, transportation, etc.) and it all came out to around $30,000 a year. For current students, what has been your overall cost of attending SLU (expenses) per year?

At 30K a year, even from a Texas school overall debt would go over 100K. What kind of debt can someone expect to have when they finish from SLU? And how much longer do you guys think it would take to pay off a SLU debt vs. a Texas school debt?

(If it's relevant, I guess I could elaborate on what exactly I like so much about SLU and what exactly I didn't like about the Texas schools, and maybe you could tell me if I'm giving certain considerations too much weight or mistakenly assuming that SLU has a comparative advantage in a certain area, etc.)

Unless you would be totally miserable at any of the Texas schools, I'd go there (assuming you get pulled of the waitlist). It's the same degree for less than half the price.

At 3 out of the 4 Texas schools I interviewed at, I would indeed be totally miserable. You know it's a bad sign when you're walking around during the tour on interview day depressed and not even caring to listen to what the tour guide is saying.

Hmm, idk though, I would still take the school that costs literally half as much. SLU is amazing, I agree, and I would loooove to hear back from them if I have a shot :p However, it's hard to get a feel of what a school is in one day, and maybe other things than the school were influencing your mood. (How do you get depressed walking around a potential med school you might attend???) I would say at least go check out the Tejas school again if you get pulled from the waitlist and give it a chance with an open mind. That kind of debt is not something you want to put on yourself without good reason!

At 3 out of the 4 Texas schools I interviewed at, I would indeed be totally miserable. You know it's a bad sign when you're walking around during the tour on interview day depressed and not even caring to listen to what the tour guide is saying.

You know, there are things that are hard about medical school wherever you attend. Some classes just suck, sometimes you get discouraged, and sometimes you wonder why you started this madness to begin with. Having said that, it's important to minimize the things that will lead you to feel this way. If you were disheartened about all the texas schools, that shows there is something of substance dissuading you from texas. If it were only one school, you could have been having a bad day, but all 4?

I can't lie, SLU is expensive. Do I wish it were cheaper? of course. Would I have gone anywhere else given the choice? probably not. I think you need to think about the other costs of being in a place you hate besides the financial factors. SLU is a great school, and if you think you'd be happy here, then come! Debt is not insignificant, but at the same time, you'll be able to pay it off. If all else fails, there's always the armed forces :D

Don't forget, at this point, the whole question is academic.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't lie, SLU is expensive. Do I wish it were cheaper? of course. Would I have gone anywhere else given the choice? probably not. I think you need to think about the other costs of being in a place you hate besides the financial factors. SLU is a great school, and if you think you'd be happy here, then come! Debt is not insignificant, but at the same time, you'll be able to pay it off. If all else fails, there's always the armed forces :D

Don't forget, at this point, the whole question is academic.....

Yeah especially if I pursue some kind of loan forgiveness program, that should alleviate things. You're right about it being an academic question at this point. I should just enjoy the fact that I got into SLU, and more importantly, that I'm in a position like this where I can stress over WHICH school to attend. I'm very lucky, indeed.

OnlyLiveOnce, it seems like you've really thought this through and have good reasons to back up your decisions. I don't think that your reasons are silly, and I didn't mean to imply that. Leave it up to fate- if you get pulled from the waitlist you liked, then consider it. Otherwise, follow your gut. It seems like you already have your choice made, so congrats and good luck!

OnlyLiveOnce, it seems like you've really thought this through and have good reasons to back up your decisions. I don't think that your reasons are silly, and I didn't mean to imply that. Leave it up to fate- if you get pulled from the waitlist you liked, then consider it. Otherwise, follow your gut. It seems like you already have your choice made, so congrats and good luck!

Yeah I know you were just offering your insight and I appreciate that. I'm in a good position: I like SLU, so it can only get better from here. Good luck to you too; it seems from your MDapps profile that you're waiting for a decision from SLU. I hope you get in!

hey onlyliveonce.. I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been accepted at my state school (Indiana) which is wayyyy cheaper (but not quite as cheap as texas)... but I hated it! I just do not feel like I would be happy there and I loved SLU and everything about their curriculum. I heard from both of them pretty early in first semester so I've had lots of time to think about it... and I decided SLU is the place for me. I feel a little guilty putting that much more debt on myself, but ultimately I think I would get much more out of SLU and I would rather be happy for 4 years then miserable (maybe an exaggeration... but that's how I feel about the two schools)! Dunno if that helps at all... but I could def. relate to your post :)

This recent discussion has got me thinking.... since nobody is satisfied with his/her state school, I'd happily trade either of my private school acceptances for an instate, public school acceptance. Oh, if only it worked that way....

UT Southwestern - I was turned off from the moment their pretentious presentation began. The main problem is how ridiculously competitive the students there are. They cap how many A's they give out (They have an A/B/C system), and one of the students there had the audacity to say "don't worry, a B from here is like an A from anywhere else!" I mean, I don't want to be in that kind of environment for 4 miserable years. Needless to say, if I go there, I can kiss my chance at my dream specialties goodbye as I'll be constantly frustrated and mired at the bottom of the cut-throat class.

FYI, at SLU there is also a straight curve. That means that the top 15% get Honors, next 10% get near Honors, everyone else passes unless you're 2.5 std dev. from the mean. That means mathmatically, someone has to fail. It does not, however, mean that the class is very competitive amongst themselves. You find out pretty fast that passing a hard class is itself a pretty good achievment.

UTMB (galveston) - I enjoyed the interview itself because the actual location is an island and the weather was nice (that day at least). However, the place has 3 tragic flaws: 1) PBL, notorious around the country for how badly students hate it (and its heavily based on PBL, its like, you're only in class from 8-12, and a good chunk of that is just PBL, and then the rest of the day is for all the material that you have to study on your own). 2) hurricane-prone island (not something i want to be worrying about), and finally, 3) biosafety level 4 research lab that experiments on Ebola. I read Hot Zone in 9th grade English class... enough said. I don't care if it comes down to paranoia, that's not something I want to be obsessively worrying about each day as I walk around campus. And a near-breach of "hemorrhagic virus" was in the news once.

STAY AWAY FROM PBL I can't stress this enough. It was invented by Satan himself as the most colossal waste of time in medical school.

Now,

UT Houston - I could definitely go here. There was nothing wrong with this place, in fact the facilities were awesome, after all it is in Texas Medical Center, the largest med center in the world, apparently. It has places like MD Anderson, etc. I would not have any shortage of clinical opportunities or research opportunities here. If I got off the waitlist here, there would definitely be a decision to make. They are also in the shadow of Baylor College of Medicine, just like SLU is in the shadow of WashU. That means potential opportunities to leach...

Ahh, but WashU's curriculum sucks. They have 5 classes at a time and they don't have great clinical education. Research dollars = high rank ≠ great medical education. I have several friends who are residents or students there and this is what they say....

Ahh, but WashU's curriculum sucks. They have 5 classes at a time and they don't have great clinical education. Research dollars = high rank ≠ great medical education. I have several friends who are residents or students there and this is what they say....

Why in the hell is this such a sore spot with SLU students? No offense to the poster of this passage, but I had a tour guide get really upset when I asked if there were any joint opportunities available at WashU for SLU students. She pretty much said that everyone at WashU is "eggheaded" and SLU students tend to be "the cooler kids". Additionally, she made it a point that all of the M4s at SLU are highly desired for the WashU residency programs and that the opposite isn't true (but then she went onto explain that the top two students at SLU matched into a WashU residency, sigh). I'm probably gonna get flamed for posting this in the SLU forum, but Jesus...can't we all just get along??

Yeah famous top-ranked schools tend to suck as far as educational experience goes. That's why I'm glad that I got into SLU, which has a good educational experience, but I'm close enough to WashU to try to pursue some research opportunities there or something. Best of both worlds.

hey onlyliveonce.. I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been accepted at my state school (Indiana) which is wayyyy cheaper (but not quite as cheap as texas)... but I hated it! I just do not feel like I would be happy there and I loved SLU and everything about their curriculum. I heard from both of them pretty early in first semester so I've had lots of time to think about it... and I decided SLU is the place for me. I feel a little guilty putting that much more debt on myself, but ultimately I think I would get much more out of SLU and I would rather be happy for 4 years then miserable (maybe an exaggeration... but that's how I feel about the two schools)! Dunno if that helps at all... but I could def. relate to your post :)

Hey, nice to know that I'm not the only one thinking this way! Good thing to know I'm not insane.

FYI, at SLU there is also a straight curve. That means that the top 15% get Honors, next 10% get near Honors, everyone else passes unless you're 2.5 std dev. from the mean. That means mathmatically, someone has to fail. It does not, however, mean that the class is very competitive amongst themselves. You find out pretty fast that passing a hard class is itself a pretty good achievment.

Well, that's how it is with nearly all med schools; you have to get a top rank to get AOA. However, most med schools don't screw you over by releasing your rank to the public. You're either AOA, or you're not. But at Southwestern, they release your class rank so that residencies can see them. Can you imagine the anxiety that would cause? Imagine the daily anxiety of trying to make sure you get an A for every class and not falling down to the middle or lower end of the class. (why do they use an A/B/C system anyway? this ain't undergrad)

Also, I don't see why someone in the class at SLU has to fail. I can see how somebody would statistically be deprived of honors, but I can't imagine there being a quota on simply passing the class.

The same logic for honors applies to failing. There will be a top 10% of the class just like there would be for the bottom 10%. The bottom folks, while few, still flunk. Now, whether flunking an exam equates to flunking the class, or part of a class, depends on the class and the course director. If you're scoring with a z-score of -2.5, you kind of deserve to fail. There are some classes which are pass/fail too, like biostats where everyone does really well.

AOA is not dependant entirely on your pre-clinical course grades either, at SLU your clinical grades count for a lot, actually more than your pre-clinical grades. Also, there are only a few specialties where AOA is really going to make or break you, if you look at the Charting Match Outcomes from ERAS. AOA really only matters for Derm and ENT.

Frankly, I would advise all of you guys to stop sweating grades in classes you haven't taken yet. The grade grubbing thing isn't as prevalent in medschool as it was in UG.

Why in the hell is this such a sore spot with SLU students? No offense to the poster of this passage, but I had a tour guide get really upset when I asked if there were any joint opportunities available at WashU for SLU students. She pretty much said that everyone at WashU is "eggheaded" and SLU students tend to be "the cooler kids". Additionally, she made it a point that all of the M4s at SLU are highly desired for the WashU residency programs and that the opposite isn't true (but then she went onto explain that the top two students at SLU matched into a WashU residency, sigh). I'm probably gonna get flamed for posting this in the SLU forum, but Jesus...can't we all just get along??

Your tour guide probably has an inferiority complex. The 2 students she mentioned were in my class: both were stellar applicants and could have gone wherever they decided to go; they chose Barnes for residency because their spouses had careers in the lou. The top quarter of a class at any respectable medical school will match highly desired programs. The students at Barnes are just normal med students, they may be a bit geekier, but high achievers in the realm of science tend to be that way. And face it, the average Barnes student has achieved much more upon entering medical school than the average SLU student. The only time you interact with them is during rotations at the VA, where they rotate also, and then you can all nod off during morning report together. I don't see how rotating with students from another medical school is of any advantage. Their curriculum is theirs and yours is yours; at the end of the day everybody learns the same things and takes the same test.

As for the originator of this current debate... I went to SLU and my wife attended UTH. I think SLU offers a better medical education. My wife hated the way their tests were organized into blocks where the class was simultaneously tested during a single week in all the classes they were taking. She also did not enjoy the significant amount of PBL during the second year. 3rd year is divided between LBJ and Hermann. There is very little opportunitty to rotate at the other institutions in the TMC because of the different affiliations. My wife did only 1 rotation at MD Anderson during her third year which was all that was allowed. The only thing I disliked about SLU were some of the nitwits I had for classmates (and the OB/GYN rotation, but even Ulysses had to brave Tartarus before he could reach Ithaca). With all that said, I would have gone to UTH in a heartbeat if I were the one paying for medical school (my wife and I are military so cost did not matter to us). How much better would a school have to be for another 200,000 in debt? For another 200,000 a school would have to guarantee me in writing that I would match at the residency of my choice, and even then I would still be confident enough to rely on myself and save the 200 grand. Of course, money is only money and it's purpose is to enable happiness, but 200,000 is quite a sum for a process that leads to the exact same thing--the letters after your name and the skills to begin your chosen residency.

Any comments on the new rankings? From what I've been able to tell SLU's come up bigtime (10 spots in 2-3 years?).

Any comments on the new rankings? From what I've been able to tell SLU's come up bigtime (10 spots in 2-3 years?).

Where did you see this? I've been trying to find this out myself (where SLU stands and how far up its climbed in a few years).

Congrats everyone....anyone else here interview 11/26?

That #56 ranking for 2009 is for primary care, not research.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/mdr/search/page+3

SLU's not even ranked for research; its research score is "N/A". But so is Mount Sinai's score, and yet it's ranked #23 in research.

So, I'm not sure if it's because SLU just didn't participate in research rankings, or if it's because it scored so low that it wasn't ranked, but either way, it's not ranked in research.

That #56 ranking for 2009 is for primary care, not research.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/mdr/search/page+3

SLU's not even ranked for research; its research score is "N/A". But so is Mount Sinai's score, and yet it's ranked #23 in research.

So, I'm not sure if it's because SLU just didn't participate in research rankings, or if it's because it scored so low that it wasn't ranked, but either way, it's not ranked in research.

According to US News it is ranked at #60 for research. You have to pay and get US News premium to see it go to 60.

According to US News it is ranked at #60 for research. You have to pay and get US News premium to see it go to 60.

For 2009? Cuz the 2009 rankings are up and it has a ranking for primary care and nothing for research. You may be referring to the 2008 rankings, which do stop at 50, as you said.

Hey guys,

My little sister is waitlisted at WashU for undergrad. This complicates my housing search a bit. I was originally looking for something very close to SLU so that I'd hardly have to deal with any traffic. But if my sister gets into WashU, there's no point in my parents paying for 2 places of residence hardly 10 min apart, so I'd obviously have to find something closer to WashU for a compromise. Even if I lived right next to WashU, SLU would still be maybe 10 min away, not considering morning traffic (how bad does that get anyway?).

The problem is that WashU's undergrad waitlist doesn't start moving until May, and that's just when it starts. They could keep us waiting until June or July just to give an answer. It would be a huge gamble for me to wait that long to find housing, so I have to act soon. Are apartments in the WashU/SLU area going fast?

And how important is it to be near the med school campus in your first 2 years? I want to be in a mode where I can easily return to the campus on a moment's notice to access some resource or talk to some faculty member. Would that be possible if I lived near the WashU area? Right now I'm leaning towards looking for a place near WashU just in case she gets in, because even if she doesn't, the place still wouldn't be far from SLU, so it wouldn't be a total loss.

I never knew undergrads had waitlists, weird. That does put you in a bit of a spot though. However, I'm not sure you're going to find a good "compromise" spot, as there isn't much great housing in the area between the two schools. More than likely you'll have to choose to live near one or the other. I haven't been up on WashU's undergrad campus at all, so I have no idea what their housing situation is. For St. Louis overall though, I don't think apartments are being snatched up very quickly. We certainly have classmates that live further away than WashU, but I have very much enjoyed being close to school. Like Geogil, I live 1.5 miles away in the Shaw neighborhood and I'm glad we've been here. The neighborhood is nice, there's a large park, I bike to school, and I know my family is in a good area with friends nearby.
However, since we're hoping to buy a house sometime soon, I do happen to have some insight on a duplex that will be opening up. Our downstairs neighbors are also moving, so both two bedroom units will be open. If anyone would like anymore info PM me.

Any insight on morning traffic? What time does class start? (so I know how early I should be out the door)

No clue on morning traffic, since I ride my bike through my neighborhood and then it's only a couple of blocks to school. But whatever state commuting is in right now it's bound to get worse once highway 64/40 shuts down all the way.
During anatomy, the first 10 weeks of school, class starts at eight most of the time and then the rest of the year lecture starts at nine.

Hey guys,

My little sister is waitlisted at WashU for undergrad. This complicates my housing search a bit. I was originally looking for something very close to SLU so that I'd hardly have to deal with any traffic. But if my sister gets into WashU, there's no point in my parents paying for 2 places of residence hardly 10 min apart, so I'd obviously have to find something closer to WashU for a compromise. Even if I lived right next to WashU, SLU would still be maybe 10 min away, not considering morning traffic (how bad does that get anyway?).

The problem is that WashU's undergrad waitlist doesn't start moving until May, and that's just when it starts. They could keep us waiting until June or July just to give an answer. It would be a huge gamble for me to wait that long to find housing, so I have to act soon. Are apartments in the WashU/SLU area going fast?

And how important is it to be near the med school campus in your first 2 years? I want to be in a mode where I can easily return to the campus on a moment's notice to access some resource or talk to some faculty member. Would that be possible if I lived near the WashU area? Right now I'm leaning towards looking for a place near WashU just in case she gets in, because even if she doesn't, the place still wouldn't be far from SLU, so it wouldn't be a total loss.

Just thought you should know, Wash U requires freshmen to live on campus in the dorms. However, the area by Wash U is a much nicer place to live and I would recommend it anyway.

Just thought you should know, Wash U requires freshmen to live on campus in the dorms. However, the area by Wash U is a much nicer place to live and I would recommend it anyway.

Well that puts a cork in things.

She also has a nearly full ride to a relatively unknown local school where she could probably be near the top of the class, whereas at cutthroat WashU she'll probably be average since everyone there is a gunner or whatnot.

She also wants to go to med school, so the question is: what's more impressive to med schools? an average joe with decent stats from WashU, or someone with stellar stats from an unknown university? I'm sure her MCAT score would be the same either way but her GPA would probably be largely affected by the place she goes to since profs like to limit the number of A's they give out.

Well that puts a cork in things.

She also has a nearly full ride to a relatively unknown local school where she could probably be near the top of the class, whereas at cutthroat WashU she'll probably be average since everyone there is a gunner or whatnot.

She also wants to go to med school, so the question is: what's more impressive to med schools? an average joe with decent stats from WashU, or someone with stellar stats from an unknown university? I'm sure her MCAT score would be the same either way but her GPA would probably be largely affected by the place she goes to since profs like to limit the number of A's they give out.

Stellar from an unknown I would think...
3.3 and a 32 from washu doesn't beat a 3.9 and a 30 from podunk state.

Has anyone received their financial aid package from SLU yet?

Has anyone received their financial aid package from SLU yet?

Nope not yet! I wish we had a meeting day like other schools that way we could get together but didn't see anything like that. Maybe it will be included in the financial aid package?

they're going to start sending out financial aid packets at the end of this week (via snail mail). call if we don't hear by the end of the month.

Sounds good! I look forward to getting that info and making a final decision.

If there are any LDS people in this new class, PM me.

Have people gotten their fin aid packages yet? I got mine today; looks like I'm headed for a lot of debt at this point.

Have people gotten their fin aid packages yet? I got mine today; looks like I'm headed for a lot of debt at this point.

Got mine too, it looks like I'm screwed no matter which school I choose!!

Yeah got mine too-****ty no help from SLU :(

Thought I had a chance at a small scholarship but I guess they're all need-based. DAMN!

Not sure where I will be now, this sucks.

I joined the facebook group anyway just to see where everyone is living.

Yeah got mine too-****ty no help from SLU :(

Thought I had a chance at a small scholarship but I guess they're all need-based. DAMN!

Not sure where I will be now, this sucks.

I joined the facebook group anyway just to see where everyone is living.

With the non-existent scholarship I received, I'll be in the ****ing cardboard box two blocks down Grand Ave.

I actually found quite a few jobs for newly minted MD's (post residency) where loans are repaid in many specialties. Including derm which is the last specialty I expected to offer this type of help:

http://physicianjobs.cejkasearch.co..._indiana_university_community_Cejka23204.aspx

Pain managment & rehab:
http://physicianjobs.cejkasearch.co...ialist_sought_for_indiana_groupCejka9996.aspx

I am sure in 10 yrs this type of repayment will be a standard incentive due to shortage. Anyways, it is out there and not just for primary care.