This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! As long as both your transcript and recommendation letter are both received (or postmarked) by email or mail by Feb 5th, you will be verified in time assuming that your transcript and recommendation letter are accepted.

Just a reminder for everyone:

For your transcript, please ensure that it is official and has been sent directly by the institution. (Parchment is fine because ultimately it is your uni that will be sending it.)

For your recommendation letter, please ensure that it is signed by your recommender, and is sent directly by them. Please remind your recommender to submit their letter on time.

I hope this helped! :)

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]
I will add, it may take up to 10 days to process your application materials, so do not be alarmed if your portal is not updated by Feb 5th! (depending on when you submit)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having trouble getting in contact with SHPEP through the phone (I've been on hold for ~40 mins). Is there any way I can check to see whether my LOR or transcript has been accepted through the SHPEP site?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having trouble getting in contact with SHPEP through the phone (I've been on hold for ~40 mins). Is there any way I can check to see whether my LOR or transcript has been accepted through the SHPEP site?
I am sorry that you’ve been experiencing a delay in a response.
Through your application portal, by clicking ‘check my application’ at the bottom of this page, How To Apply « Summer Health Professions Education Program you will be able to see when your materials are verified. Please note that it may take up to 10 days for that to be reflected.

I hope this helps!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have another question about extracurriculars. If I hold a position like volunteering, but I only do it during the summer and winter break, how should I go about the end date and amount of hours per week for it, since it isn't a continuous activity I do during school weeks.

I am sorry that you’ve been experiencing a delay in a response.
Through your application portal, by clicking ‘check my application’ at the bottom of this page, How To Apply « Summer Health Professions Education Program you will be able to see when your materials are verified. Please note that it may take up to 10 days for that to be reflected.

I hope this helps!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]
Is there a way you can check if your materials are verified before submitting the application itself? I have not submitted my application but plan on doing so later this week.

Hi! I have another question about extracurriculars. If I hold a position like volunteering, but I only do it during the summer and winter break, how should I go about the end date and amount of hours per week for it, since it isn't a continuous activity I do during school weeks.
Hi!

This is an excellent question! Do you plan on doing this position until you graduate? If so, I would not worry too much about it not being continuous, and I would indicate the end date as the tentative date of graduation! :)

As for the hours, I would add up the total number of hours that you have done so far. Then, I would divide that by the amount of weeks you have held the position for. I hope that helps and makes sense!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Is there a way you can check if your materials are verified before submitting the application itself? I have not submitted my application but plan on doing so later this week.
Hello! Unfortunately, you cannot check that beforehand. However, here is a checklist that you can follow to ensure that your materials are verified:

I know that it is nerve-racking, but everything should work out! I hope this helps!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Happy Sunday!

This is a great question! Is your experience that you are referring to associated with a university or organization? If so, would you be able to put a generic phone number? When you indicate a contact name, it will allow them to further contact that specific person.

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]
Yes, I went with that. Some contacts however, I don't have too much of a connection with. Thank you for the help!

Less than two weeks away from the deadline:

February 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time)

Feel free to comment any questions, comments or concerns that you may have down below!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Less than ONE week away from the deadline:

February 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time)

Tomorrow is the last day to submit your application!! It’s not too late! Get everything in by tomorrow at 11:59PM EST!

APPLICATION OPENS: November 1st, 2020!

Dear Future SHPEP Applicant,

My name is Austin Rios. I participated in the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston program site in 2018. This year, I have again been selected to serve as an SHPEP Ambassador. My goal as an ambassador is to help you, as an applicant, learn as much as you can about the program, serve as a guide throughout your application and even give some advice that may lead to a successful application.

Please feel free to read or watch my story!

Please use this thread to talk among applicants and ask for help when needed. Former SHPEP alumnus are welcome as well!

If you find my advice helpful, please let SHPEP/AAMC know! Each SHPEP applicant I recruit should list my full name (Austin Rios) for the referral question (How did you learn about the program?) located in the Personal Information section of the application. :)

Lastly, I may not always be online to answer your questions. Please never hesitate to reach out to me directly at [email protected].

Best of luck!

what percentage of the SHPEP slots go to underrepresented minority, and what percentage to financially disadvantaged ?

what is the likelihood of being accepted if you dont fall in either of these categories ?

I have a lot of students who ask about applying, wanted to find out so i can advise which programs to apply to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what percentage of the SHPEP slots go to underrepresented minority, and what percentage to financially disadvantaged ?

what is the likelihood of being accepted if you dont fall in either of these categories ?

I have a lot of students who ask about applying, wanted to find out so i can advise which programs to apply to.
Hi there!

Unfortunately, I don't have access to these kinds of statistics. While there is certainly an interest to recruit and support URM and lower SES students, the program certainly doesn't limit itself to only those students. All are welcome to apply and are considered. You can try contacting [email protected] to see if the national program office has any additional comments on this.

Yours,

Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador

I have requested my transcripts through parchment but I’m afraid that my college won’t send it by tonight. What can I do about this?

I have requested my transcripts through parchment but I’m afraid that my college won’t send it by tonight. What can I do about this?
Hi, Sabrina,

I understand how worrisome this may be.
May I ask how long ago you requested for your transcript to be sent over? Is your university sending it by mail or email? Lastly, were you able to track the status of your transcript through parchment?

Did anyone get an update from Rutgers? I see my status with Columbia and Iowa, but Rutgers still says 'In Review' ):

Did anyone get an update from Rutgers? I see my status with Columbia and Iowa, but Rutgers still says 'In Review' ):
I know how nerve-racking this can be. :( I am hoping for the best for you!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador

TODAY IS THE DAY!!! CHECK THE PORTAL!! REMEMBER

1. Admission decisions will be released on March 15, 2021.
  2. Admission decisions are released on the application dashboard.
  3. Accepted applicants can only confirm their attendance to one site. All confirmations are final and cannot be changed to another program site for any reason. Students who choose to withdraw their confirmation, regardless of the reason, cannot be considered for any other program site for the summer.
  4. Applicants have up to two business days after their admission decision is released to confirm their acceptance to a program site.
  5. Applicants who fail to confirm their acceptance after two business days will receive a Withdrawn After Accept admissions decision from the NPO.
  6. Program sites will begin accepting students from their wait list on March 17, 2020 if space permits. Waitlisted applicants must check their account daily until their status has changed. If status is changed to “Accepted,” applicants have 24 hours to confirm their acceptance or they will be withdrawn from the program.
  7. Program site coordinator will contact the confirmed applicants with further instructions no later than the end of March.

For those who did not get the news that they wanted, please remember that in life, we all go through these tough moments and disappointments. For some, it may feel like it just keeps "raining", but I promise you the "sun" will come out in due time.

In the moment, it does not feel good, but remember that there is ALWAYS something great to come. It is not a matter of "if," it is a matter of "when."

You all have worked extremely hard, and you should be proud of that. I am proud of all of you. :)

🌞

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Anyone have any experience/advice on the physical therapy programs at Columbia or WesternU? Got into both and need help deciding! Are both programs specific to the track or is it more broad and covers all the areas (med, dental, nursing, etc.)? I know for sure WesternU separates into each track in the afternoon sessions but I don't know anything about the Columbia program.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!! CHECK THE PORTAL!! REMEMBER

1. Admission decisions will be released on March 15, 2021.
  2. Admission decisions are released on the application dashboard.
  3. Accepted applicants can only confirm their attendance to one site. All confirmations are final and cannot be changed to another program site for any reason. Students who choose to withdraw their confirmation, regardless of the reason, cannot be considered for any other program site for the summer.
  4. Applicants have up to two business days after their admission decision is released to confirm their acceptance to a program site.
  5. Applicants who fail to confirm their acceptance after two business days will receive a Withdrawn After Accept admissions decision from the NPO.
  6. Program sites will begin accepting students from their wait list on March 17, 2020 if space permits. Waitlisted applicants must check their account daily until their status has changed. If status is changed to “Accepted,” applicants have 24 hours to confirm their acceptance or they will be withdrawn from the program.
  7. Program site coordinator will contact the confirmed applicants with further instructions no later than the end of March.
It says we have 2 days to accept but what does the "action date" next to our status mean? One of mine says 3/12 and the other says 3/13 but the decisions only came out today. Do I still have until the 17th to accept?

hello there!
Yes, you have until the 17th!
Do we have till the 17th or till the 16th?? When I called and asked they said two business days to accept is the 16th, and their twitter account says to confirm acceptance by the 16th at 5pm

Do we have till the 17th or till the 16th?? When I called and asked they said two business days to accept is the 16th, and their twitter account says to confirm acceptance by the 16th at 5pm
You are completely right. It is March 16th (TODAY) by 5PM ET!! My apologies :(

CONFIRM YOUR ACCEPTANCE BY MARCH 16TTH (TODAY) AT 5PM ET!!

It says we have 2 days to accept but what does the "action date" next to our status mean? One of mine says 3/12 and the other says 3/13 but the decisions only came out today. Do I still have until the 17th to accept?
Action date is the day the admissions committee imputed your decision into the system. It really serves no purpose to you.

You have until 5pm ET today to accept or decline your offer.

Anyone doing WesternU for physical therapy?

Last edited:
anyone who was in the Louisville or Birmingham waitlist did you get accepted?

How does the waitlist work? If we haven’t got in by now, does that mean we didn’t get off the waitlist?

anyone who was in the Louisville or Birmingham waitlist did you get accepted?
I'm on the waitlist for Birmingham and they said waitlists can last up until the end of May. Anytime a student backs out for whatever reason, those on the waitlist take their spot. Hoping for the best for us :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to all the new SHPEP Scholars! You are in for a great summer this year.

To those on the waitlist, I wish you all the best luck in getting in. Some sites will keep you on until the very last moment, should another student decide not to keep their position. Congratulations on making it this far!

To those who were not accepted, this is certainly not the end of the road for you or your future as a healthcare provider. Good luck moving forward and feel free to apply next year if you qualify!

Does anyone know if the Medical Program at Columbia is full and what are the chances of getting off a waitlist?

Hey guys!
For anyone that got into Nebraska Med, I made a GroupMe here. Looking forward to connecting!

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet? If yes, do they send an email to you or did you have to log on to the portal to check?

I got off the waitlist, I had to log on to the portal to check.
Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet? If yes, do they send an email to you or did you have to log on to the portal to check?

You have to log back into the portal to see and have 24 hrs to accept if you get off the waitlist I believe

Congratulations to all the new SHPEP Scholars! You are in for a great summer this year.

To those on the waitlist, I wish you all the best luck in getting in. Some sites will keep you on until the very last moment, should another student decide not to keep their position. Congratulations on making it this far!

To those who were not accepted, this is certainly not the end of the road for you or your future as a healthcare provider. Good luck moving forward and feel free to apply next year if you qualify!

Do you know when they'll send out more info/an intro email about the program we committed to?

Reactions: 2 users
I just got off the waitlist & confirmed at UAB-Med!! Check your portal every day and don't lose hope! Good luck everyone <3

Status
Not open for further replies.