This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoppingtheworld

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
APPLICATION OPENS: November 1st, 2020!

Dear Future SHPEP Applicant,

My name is Austin Rios. I participated in the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston program site in 2018. This year, I have again been selected to serve as an SHPEP Ambassador. My goal as an ambassador is to help you, as an applicant, learn as much as you can about the program, serve as a guide throughout your application and even give some advice that may lead to a successful application.

Please feel free to read or watch my story!

Please use this thread to talk among applicants and ask for help when needed. Former SHPEP alumnus are welcome as well!

If you find my advice helpful, please let SHPEP/AAMC know! Each SHPEP applicant I recruit should list my full name (Austin Rios) for the referral question (How did you learn about the program?) located in the Personal Information section of the application. :)

Lastly, I may not always be online to answer your questions. Please never hesitate to reach out to me directly at [email protected].

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there!

My name is Keyanna Safforld, and I am a SHPEP ambassador who experienced the virtual program at the University of Alabama this past summer!

If you want to know more about the virtual experience, please contact me at [email protected] or reply to this post.
I would love to help you through this application process! SHPEP has allowed me to find my passion, and I will forever be grateful for it. This is an opportunity that you do not want to miss!

I went in pre-dental, but now I am pre-med**

Last edited:
Hi
I have three questions.
1. Last year I applied but I got waitlists then rejection. So can I re-use my personal statement?
2. I am VA residents which sites should I apply to?
3. Can my Math/ Engineering Prof, write my recommendation letter?

Thank you in advance

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
These are great questions. 1) feel free to reuse your personal statement. If you think you want to change it, it’s definitely normal and ok! 2) apply to programs that have something of interest to you. Maybe it’s a focus on academic enrichment. Read up the site’s program on SHPEP.org. 3)yes. Your professor can write you a letter.
Hope this helps! - Austin Rios, SHPEP ambassador

Hi
I have three questions.
1. Last year I applied but I got waitlists then rejection. So can I re-use my personal statement?
2. I am VA residents which sites should I apply to?
3. Can my Math/ Engineering Prof, write my recommendation letter?

Thank you in advance

APPLICATION NOW OPEN!

SHPEP is a free six-week summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions; furthermore, participating students will be awarded a stipend.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, physical distancing guidelines, and the closure of some campuses, SHPEP will again be a 100% virtual experience in summer 2021. The pandemic necessitated virtual implementation of SHPEP in 2020, and we are proud that the program was successfully delivered online to more than 930 scholars last summer. Therefore, the NPO is confident in the ability of our program sites to once again provide a valuable and transformative online experience to 2021 SHPEP scholars. Please continue to monitor our website for updates on the status of SHPEP 2021.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly for any questions or concerns. [email protected] - Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador

@Stoppingtheworld
Hello
I have one more question that I need to ask.
I am sophomore Should I submit my transcript from the freshman year Or should I wait until the semester is over?
Also, I have took one class at community college and I transferred to my University should I also send a separate transcript from the community college?

Thank you

@Stoppingtheworld
Hello
I have one more question that I need to ask.
I am sophomore Should I submit my transcript from the freshman year Or should I wait until the semester is over?
Also, I have took one class at community college and I transferred to my University should I also send a separate transcript from the community college?

Thank you

Hi there!

It is your decision if you want to wait for the semester to finalize. If you can estimate what you might earn this semester, then I would include that in your application. Otherwise, there's no harm in waiting for the semester to finish out. And yes, please submit the additional transcript from your community college.

Hope this helps!

- Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador.

Hi! My name is Shrithika and I'm currently a freshman in college. I live in California right now and was wondering which program sites to apply to since they are fully remote now. Specifically, I read some of the previous threads which mentioned that some programs prefer students from their state (to decrease travel expense) but since it is all virtual this summer, will program sites disregard the location of the student altogether or will they still have a preference? Thank you!

Hi! My name is Shrithika and I'm currently a freshman in college. I live in California right now and was wondering which program sites to apply to since they are fully remote now. Specifically, I read some of the previous threads which mentioned that some programs prefer students from their state (to decrease travel expense) but since it is all virtual this summer, will program sites disregard the location of the student altogether or will they still have a preference? Thank you!
Hi Shrithika! I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for this question. I hold still to my general advice which is that applicants should apply to program sites that offer a component that the applicant can learn/grow from. Otherwise, there is no point in the applicant attending that particular site, especially if they request something that the site cannot offer. Hope this helps!

- Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador.

Great, thank you! And just to clarify, we can have the same application (personal statement, letter of rec, etc) for different sites right?

Great, thank you! And just to clarify, we can have the same application (personal statement, letter of rec, etc) for different sites right?
Right, so one single application will go to three different sites of your choosing. - Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador.

How do i find the transcript ID? What is my college won't include attachments (transcript matching form) to the transcript?

Last edited:
How do i find the transcript ID? What is my college won't include attachments (transcript matching form) to the transcript?
Hi there!

By transcript ID, do you mean your SHPEP ID? Your SHPEP ID is found on the upper left square through your application page.
Also, have you contacted your school's registrar's office? With the transcript matching form, your college will have to fill it out and email or mail out your transcript to the address/email address found on the SHPEP website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I do have a question about the personal statement. It says in the file that the personal statement is 600 words or the length of a page. However, when I do add my draft to see it says I have about ~1500 characters left. Am I able to add more or should I just stick with 600 words? Also, for the personal statement, I did highlight my "why medicine" but would it be wise to include how SHPEP can aide me in attaining those goals? Or should I just stick with indicating why it is why I want to pursue my interest in medicine?

Hi, I do have a question about the personal statement. It says in the file that the personal statement is 600 words or the length of a page. However, when I do add my draft to see it says I have about ~1500 characters left. Am I able to add more or should I just stick with 600 words? Also, for the personal statement, I did highlight my "why medicine" but would it be wise to include how SHPEP can aide me in attaining those goals? Or should I just stick with indicating why it is why I want to pursue my interest in medicine?
Hi there!

This is a great question. 1500 characters will equate to 250 words more or less, depending on punctuation and such. You are definitely able to add more being that you have more space; however, if you feel as though your story is complete, I would leave it how it is.

I love the addition that you are desiring to add into your personal statement! I think you should add it if you feel as though it is relevant to your story. You can email me at k.safforld5@gmail, and I would be happy to look over that section!

Keyanna Safforld

I only listed a small amount of extracurriculars since I am just a freshman in college. But my gpa is a 3.96 at an engineering school and I have good grades in my bio classes. My recommendation letter should be good. I am worried about the extracurriculars and already submitted. What to do?

Would it be fine if our letter of recommendation came from someone other than a professor? For instance, during a summer medical internship, my department manager and I worked closely together and I was wondering if she is applicable to write the letter considering she has insight on my personal life and goals?

Do we have to come from a disadvantaged background or have certain annual incomes in order to be considered for the program? Or is it enough for applicants to have influential experiences that allow us to pursue medicine? Lastly, is either characteristic favored in the admission process?

Hello, I am a freshman college student from Michigan applying to SHPEP for 2021. I have two questions. Does our recommender have to write a full-length letter, or do they just have to fill out the recommendation form? My second question is since I live in Michigan does it matter what site I could potentially participate in since it will be fully virtual this year?

Would you recommend applying this year for the virtual experience or wait until next year (fingers crossed) for an in person experience? I'm currently a freshman college student.

Is it even worth applying? It seems like almost everyone gets rejected or waitlisted even if they have good credentials.

I only listed a small amount of extracurriculars since I am just a freshman in college. But my gpa is a 3.96 at an engineering school and I have good grades in my bio classes. My recommendation letter should be good. I am worried about the extracurriculars and already submitted. What to do?
Do not worry! The pandemic has prevented freshmen from participating in a lot of activities! Do not be so hard on yourself, but I know that is easier said than done! I wish you the best with this journey, and I am rooting for you :)

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Would it be fine if our letter of recommendation came from someone other than a professor? For instance, during a summer medical internship, my department manager and I worked closely together and I was wondering if she is applicable to write the letter considering she has insight on my personal life and goals?

Do we have to come from a disadvantaged background or have certain annual incomes in order to be considered for the program? Or is it enough for applicants to have influential experiences that allow us to pursue medicine? Lastly, is either characteristic favored in the admission process?
Hi there!
In addition to a letter from a professor, it can also come from a pre-health advisor, an employer within the health professions field, or a science/math high school teacher. I would definitely consider your department manager to be a great recommender for your application. :)

You do not have to come from a disadvantaged background or meet a specific annual household income, rather you just have to have an interest in helping others who are underserved in medicine and learning more about that aspect of medicine.

Lastly, neither characteristic is favored in the admission process. They just want to know that you understand that some discussions will focus on issues affecting underserved populations. Therefore, they are looking for students who have that interest as well as an interest in diversity and inclusion.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Hello, I am a freshman college student from Michigan applying to SHPEP for 2021. I have two questions. Does our recommender have to write a full-length letter, or do they just have to fill out the recommendation form? My second question is since I live in Michigan does it matter what site I could potentially participate in since it will be fully virtual this year?
Hi there!

Thank you so much for your question! That is awesome that you are applying; that is so exciting!

Your recommender can either fill out the recommendation form: https://www.shpep.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/rec-form-2021.pdf
or they can submit a signed letter of recommendation printed on official institution letterhead, which then can both be emailed to [email protected].

Since you live in Michigan, we do recommend that you apply to at least one site that is within your time zone, but it is not required. You can apply to any sites that you would like since it is fully virtual this year :)

I hope I answered your questions well! Let me know!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador

[email protected]

Is it even worth applying? It seems like almost everyone gets rejected or waitlisted even if they have good credentials.
Hi there!

Thank you so much for your question!

I absolutely think that it is worth applying! You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right?

In my opinion, I think your story is such a crucial part of your application. Numbers are just numbers and will get someone so far, but I think your personal statement and recommendation letter can have a huge impact.

Please feel free to email me! I would love to talk to you and clear up any of your concerns :)

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Hi there!

By transcript ID, do you mean your SHPEP ID? Your SHPEP ID is found on the upper left square through your application page.
Also, have you contacted your school's registrar's office? With the transcript matching form, your college will have to fill it out and email or mail out your transcript to the address/email address found on the SHPEP website.
The transcript ID (7 digits) is separate from the SHPEP ID which is 8 digits. I cannot find my transcript ID either. Where do I find it? I cannot send a transcript without it.

Just a reminder!

Application Deadline: February 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time)​

Application Decisions are released: March 15, 2021​

There is still plenty of time to submit your application! If you are debating if you should apply or not, you should! :)

The transcript ID (7 digits) is separate from the SHPEP ID which is 8 digits. I cannot find my transcript ID either. Where do I find it? I cannot send a transcript without it.
Hello!

May I ask what you are using to send your transcript? Is it parchment?

All transcripts must be sent directly from your institution. If you get in contact with your registrar's office, they will be able to mail it or email your official transcript on your behalf.

Please email me at [email protected] if you need further assistance. :)

Last edited:
Official transcripts must be sent directly by the institution. The National Program Office (NPO) receives transcripts via email and mail:

• Email: [email protected]
  • Mailing Address: SHPEP, 655 K St. NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20001-2399

Last edited:
Hi again! Just a follow-up, would it be the same address to send in our letter of rec or is it different?

Hi again! Just a follow-up, would it be the same address to send in our letter of rec or is it different?
Hi! Thank you so much for your question!

Yes, it is the same address. Your recommender can either email it or mail it to the National Program Office. :)
SHPEP, 655 K St. NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20001-2399

Here is some extra information if anyone may need it! Let me know if anyone has further questions!

One letter of recommendation from either a pre-health advisor or a college professor within your major field of study must be emailed to [email protected]. A high school science or math teacher, or an employer from a health-related field, can also submit a reference on your behalf. Recommendations can also be mailed to the National Program Office. Mailed recommendations must be postmarked no later than February 5th, 2021. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their recommendation is submitted on time.

Letters of recommendation can be submitted in two ways:

1. The Recommendation Form; or
  2. A signed letter of recommendation printed on official institution letterhead. The first page of the Recommendation Form should be included to help match the recommendation to your application.
Please be sure to complete the Applicant Information section of the Recommendation Form before giving it to your advisor or professor.

Hi everyone!
I am a freshman looking to participate in the SHPEP program this year, but I just found out about it. Is there a preference given for those who apply first? Also, who is able to write a reccomendation letter? Is it limited to medical professors (because I've only taken a few psychology classes last semester as a premed).
Thank you!

Hi everyone!
I am a freshman looking to participate in the SHPEP program this year, but I just found out about it. Is there a preference given for those who apply first? Also, who is able to write a reccomendation letter? Is it limited to medical professors (because I've only taken a few psychology classes last semester as a premed).
Thank you!
Hi there!

That is so awesome that you have just found out about SHPEP! Although it is encouraged for applicants to apply early, the application cycle closes Feb 5th, so I highly encourage you to apply this year being that we still have 4 weeks left!

In regards to recommendation letters, if you are unable to ask a pre-health advisor or a college professor (within your major) for one, you can ask an employer within a health professions field or a math/science high school teacher.

I hope this helps!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the experiences section. It asks for a required day time phone number, but what if there is no phone number that can be given? Or a specific one available.

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the experiences section. It asks for a required day time phone number, but what if there is no phone number that can be given? Or a specific one available.
Happy Sunday!

This is a great question! Is your experience that you are referring to associated with a university or organization? If so, would you be able to put a generic phone number? When you indicate a contact name, it will allow them to further contact that specific person.

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Is anyone one else done with their app but struggling to submit cause they can't pick a location? Since we can only pick 3 locations, I'm scared of picking one I'm under qualified/not fit for /////: I feel like it would be easier to narrow down which locations to apply to if SHPEP published some stats or a demographic of accepted students for each location. Anyway, I'm just nervously rambling lol. Good luck to everyone, stay safe <3

Is anyone one else done with their app but struggling to submit cause they can't pick a location? Since we can only pick 3 locations, I'm scared of picking one I'm under qualified/not fit for /////: I feel like it would be easier to narrow down which locations to apply to if SHPEP published some stats or a demographic of accepted students for each location. Anyway, I'm just nervously rambling lol. Good luck to everyone, stay safe <3
Hi there!

Your concern is absolutely valid! I recommend that you apply to one site in your region. For the other two, you can read more about the sites here Program Sites « Summer Health Professions Education Program to see which ones you are most interested in.
Your story and voice are important; let them shine through your application, and hope for the best! :)

Please let me know if I can assist you in any way!

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador

[email protected]

Hello!

May I ask what you are using to send your transcript? Is it parchment?

All transcripts must be sent directly from your institution. If you get in contact with your registrar's office, they will be able to mail it or email your official transcript on your behalf.

Please email me at [email protected] if you need further assistance. :)
We send it through parchment but it requires both the IDs, yet I cant find the transcript number either. I tried calling my college's office, but they only accept requests through parchment..what should I do?

We send it through parchment but it requires both the IDs, yet I cant find the transcript number either. I tried calling my college's office, but they only accept requests through parchment..what should I do?
Great question!

As the recipient, may you please try manually entering/typing the email address :[email protected]. Do not select a pre-filtered destination, if that makes sense. When you do that, it should not require a transcript ID.
Please let me know if that helps! :)

Great question!

As the recipient, may you please try manually entering/typing the email address :[email protected]. Do not select a pre-filtered destination, if that makes sense. When you do that, it should not require a transcript ID.
Please let me know if that helps! :)
If my college doesn't allow for attachments on parchment, will sending the transcript without the matching form be okay? I asked for them to print or email it and they refused too

hi,
regarding the experiences section, i'm not sure who to put down for contact name for some of them. for example, for clubs, i'm not sure who to put down for the contact or number. also, do you think it would be okay to put the university's number down for my reference's number?

If my college doesn't allow for attachments on parchment, will sending the transcript without the matching form be okay? I asked for them to print or email it and they refused too
The transcript matching form is optional (although encouraged), so that is completely fine. No worries! Just so everyone knows, the matching form allows the national program office to readily match your SHPEP ID to your transcript, which in turn allows them to verify it sooner! :)

I hope this helps!

hi,
regarding the experiences section, i'm not sure who to put down for contact name for some of them. for example, for clubs, i'm not sure who to put down for the contact or number. also, do you think it would be okay to put the university's number down for my reference's number?
Hi! This is a great question! Are you able to put down the club advisor or president as a contact name?

Yes, that would be okay to put your university's number down for your reference's number. Does your reference have an extension number that you can indicate as well?

The transcript matching form is optional (although encouraged), so that is completely fine. No worries! Just so everyone knows, the matching form allows the national program office to readily match your SHPEP ID to your transcript, which in turn allows them to verify it sooner! :)

I hope this helps!
Thank you SO much!!!!!

Hi! This is a great question! Are you able to put down the club advisor or president as a contact name?

Yes, that would be okay to put your university's number down for your reference's number. Does your reference have an extension number that you can indicate as well?
thank you! I can put down the president's name down for clubs but I don't know their phone number, should I just put the university's number down for that too?

thank you! I can put down the president's name down for clubs but I don't know their phone number, should I just put the university's number down for that too?
You’re welcome! Do you have a student association center or a activities office at your university that handles the clubs? Perhaps you can put that number down, if so?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm not sure if this question has been answered (sorry if it has) but if there is an activity that you are currently doing that has not ended, what should you put down for the end date? I'm currently a CNA and it does not give an option for "currently working" or something along those lines. Thank you in advance!

Hi, I'm not sure if this question has been answered (sorry if it has) but if there is an activity that you are currently doing that has not ended, what should you put down for the end date? I'm currently a CNA and it does not give an option for "currently working" or something along those lines. Thank you in advance!
Excellent question!
I would put your tentative date of graduation from undergrad, which would allow program directors to assume that you are planning to work as a CNA until matriculation of graduate school!
I hope that helps! :)

If I submit my application by the end of this week, would it be verified in time?

If I submit my application by the end of this week, would it be verified in time?

Yes! As long as both your transcript and recommendation letter are received (or postmarked) by email or mail by Feb 5th, you will be verified in time assuming that your transcript and recommendation letter are accepted.

Just a reminder for everyone:

For your transcript, please ensure that it is official and has been sent directly by the institution. (Parchment is fine because ultimately it is your uni that will be sending it.)

For your recommendation letter, please ensure that it is signed by your recommender, and is sent directly by them. Please remind your recommender to submit their letter on time.

I hope this helped! :)

Keyanna Safforld
SHPEP Ambassador
[email protected]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.