*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When they describe the fall scenario, I really don't see a difference between that and Open U, what's the point of paying tuition?
Nothing. Thanks to their knee-jerk reaction, we get to pay graduate tuition for zero benefits. This school's a joke for post-bacc work thanks to these changes.

While I realize the priority is on getting people their first degrees, so too should consideration be given to students already in the university. They should've made exceptions for students until at least the end of both semesters.

Members don't see this ad.

ARGH!!!! Registration is tomorrow (thanks, CSUs) and there are no effing classes to take!

Not only were there very few interesting classes to take in the Spring in the first place, but now even the very marginally interesting classes are full. I even thought about taking P-chem--just for kicks. And then I realized it's only 3 units.

God. I'm never going to be able to boost my BCPM with this stupid policy.

If I don't get into my classes during the first week, I'm withdrawing. What a joke!

/End rant

ARGH!!!! Registration is tomorrow (thanks, CSUs) and there are no effing classes to take!

Not only were there very few interesting classes to take in the Spring in the first place, but now even the very marginally interesting classes are full. I even thought about taking P-chem--just for kicks. And then I realized it's only 3 units.

God. I'm never going to be able to boost my BCPM with this stupid policy.

If I don't get into my classes during the first week, I'm withdrawing. What a joke!

/End rant

yea, it's painful. I imagine it's easier to crash the UD bio classes than the intro classes tho. This is the second semester where I'm going to have to crash bio (240 this time), and I have much less flexibility.

What other options are there in the bay area, berkeley ext, csu east bay and sjsu (if you're willing to drive down there)?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, it's painful. I imagine it's easier to crash the UD bio classes than the intro classes tho. This is the second semester where I'm going to have to crash bio (240 this time), and I have much less flexibility.

What other options are there in the bay area, berkeley ext, csu east bay and sjsu (if you're willing to drive down there)?
Well there's no real other option. Berkeley extension costs a lot and the change of registration priority affects all CSUs.

If I do withdraw, I'm either going to work in the city or save some money on housing and move back home and work there.

I don't even understand their stupid registration system. Why say it's 3:45 on Jan 16 when open registration starts at 8 AM that same day. I woke up at 8:06 and was able to add some waitlisted stuff.

Something similar happened during the first registration date for the Spring. I logged in 10 min early for my appointment and I could already register.

I don't even understand their stupid registration system. Why say it's 3:45 on Jan 16 when open registration starts at 8 AM that same day. I woke up at 8:06 and was able to add some waitlisted stuff.

I happened to sign in randomly just now to check if I could register and what a surprise. I didn't know that Open U starts registration today too. What advantages do 2nd Bacc's get now? I'm not so sure.

On another note, anyone else signing up for classes like Ornithology and Reproductive Technologies to cover units? Are these classes going to help me at all when I'm in this program to boost my credibility as a determined pre-med student?

Wow, I've never been so happy to snag the last spot on a waitlist. This is ridiculous.

And I wish I'd known about the open registration thing this morning! I might have fared a little better. Or not.

I got into all 6 classes I tried to add last semester as an open U student though, so it's possible it could happen again.

On another note, anyone else signing up for classes like Ornithology and Reproductive Technologies to cover units? Are these classes going to help me at all when I'm in this program to boost my credibility as a determined pre-med student?
That's a great question. I didn't add ornithology cuz there's a lab and I'm not too thrilled about Repro. Tech.

I completely agree that some of these classes I'm adding won't be impressive at all. Human sexuality and Disease are two classes I vowed not to take last semester that I'm stuck taking now--I don't even know if they'll count as BCPM.

I did enroll in a 3 unit seminar just to get some units. It's Membrane Biochemistry, which I have a feeling I'll need to drop later on.

Last edited:
Wow, I've never been so happy to snag the last spot on a waitlist. This is ridiculous.

And I wish I'd known about the open registration thing this morning! I might have fared a little better. Or not.

I got into all 6 classes I tried to add last semester as an open U student though, so it's possible it could happen again.
I know. I grabbed the last spot for Human Sexuality this morning and was thrilled.

All we can do is wait it out, I guess.

Human sexuality and Disease are two classes I vowed not to take last semester that I'm stuck taking now--I don't even know if they'll count as BCPM.

Is there a way to find out if they will count towards your BCMP? Also, will the Science auxillary classes count towards BCMP?

Is there a way to find out if they will count towards your BCMP? Also, will the Science auxillary classes count towards BCMP?
Science aux. courses should count unless their name is a bit weird like like the health professions colloq. I doubt that one would pass muster.

EDIT:

"for HIV/AIDS and human sexuality: b/c they are listed as BIOL, thus in the biology dept... they're consiered part of your BCPM. i talked to barry rothman (the pre-med/post bac advisor about this b/c he was the one who originally recommended the class to me), and that is what he told me."

(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3856017&postcount=7)

Last edited:
Wooohhooo! My bf and I are both #15 on the waitlist for Baird's Gen Chem 115!!!!

Wooohhooo! My bf and I are both #15 on the waitlist for Baird's Gen Chem 115!!!!

Congrats! You've got a good shot at getting in then. Are you a waitlist for a lab?

I'm #30 out of 30 for Physics... we'll see how that goes.

Thanks! I think for Gen Chem 115, the lab and lecture go together, unlike Physics and some of the upper division science classes that you have to enroll the lab and lecture separately.

Just hang in there! Have you tried emailing the professor? They may be more willing to add you if there has been communication between the two of you prior to class starting.

We just have to get through the GE classes because it seems the upper division ones still have plenty of room for students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wishing everyone best of luck in trying to crash their desired classes this week! I know I'll need it.

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Just wishing everyone best of luck in trying to crash their desired classes this week! I know I'll need it.
Haha yayyy.

For parasitology, Dr. Sehgal came in shocked to see so many people. He asked how many were not enrolled in the class and half of the people in the room raised their hands.

He repeated the question, this time placing emphasis on the "not" and still all the hands stayed in the air. He asked a third time, saw none of the hands move, and stood there not knowing what to do next.

Ends up 50% of the people in that room were neither on the waitlist nor enrolled. There are ~20 graduating seniors for ~15 spots too.

I just hate having my schedule in limbo for a whole week, especially when it looks like I'll have to keep undesirable classes if I can't get into parasitology. At least we're all in this together, though. Brings us post-baccs closer together :)

I was pretty confident until the first meeting of Physics 121, in which the prof stated that the maximum he's ever taken off the waitlist was 12. Bad news if you're #27. And bottom of the waitlist for a lab as well.

And of course Financial Aid won't give me my loans (i.e. February rent) until I'm officially enrolled in at least 7 units. I'm really ready to be done with this place.

Echidna, I'm in the same position as you. Why don't you add some random class just to get enough units? I loaded up on 2 SciCon and 2 GE classes while waiting for Chem 115 and Bio 230.

Just hang in there everyone! Think of the bigger picture. I wish there was a big "POSTBAC STUDENT" sign on our foreheads so I can identify you guys out there!

Just hang in there everyone! Think of the bigger picture. I wish there was a big "POSTBAC STUDENT" sign on our foreheads so I can identify you guys out there!

We're the ones who are crying the most.

Seriously though, stay positive. The system's crappy but professors are semi-understanding and there are some classes out there even if they aren't ideal.

Help, I really want to go to California for med school but need a postbacc for grade boost (already took prereqs), so I was going to use the postbac year to establish CA residency. But SFSU doesn't accept any more people for the informal program:

" Starting Spring 09: Applications for entry in Spring 09 are now closed due to severe California budget cuts. At present, the only recourses at SFSU are: 1) our Formal Post-Bac Program (<= column to the left) or 2) Open U (column to the right =>).
Starting Fall 09: Applications for entry in Fall 09 are now closed due to severe California budget cuts. At present, the only recourses at SFSU are: 1) our Formal Post-Bac Program (<= column to the left) or 2) Open U (column to the right =>). "

They recommend that the formal program only be those who didn't do prereqs =(

Are there any options for me now? =(

Have you looked into Mills and Scripps? There's also USC and Chapman. Keep in mind that CA residents have practically no advantage over OOS to UC schools.

Have you looked into Mills and Scripps? There's also USC and Chapman. Keep in mind that CA residents have practically no advantage over OOS to UC schools.

I already took my prereqs, so mills and scripps are out. I didn't know there was no advantage to being a cali resident....hmmm

I already took my prereqs, so mills and scripps are out. I didn't know there was no advantage to being a cali resident....hmmm
They actually have major advantages except at UCLA and UCSF.

The residency requirements in CA are pretty strict, so I would make sure that you'll be able to satisfy everything you need to.

Really? Sorry if I was wrong, but I keep reading on SDN that CA residents have practically no advantages at all...? Do you know where I can find more information on this? I'll be much happier to stay in Cali rather than Ohio or some far off places in the boonies! Thanks in advance!

Really? Sorry if I was wrong, but I keep reading on SDN that CA residents have practically no advantages at all...? Do you know where I can find more information on this? I'll be much happier to stay in Cali rather than Ohio or some far off places in the boonies! Thanks in advance!

Crunching some numbers from my MSAR book, it looks like the UC's definitely favor in-state applicants. I'll list the school, then percentage of in-state interviewed, then percentage of out-of-state interviewed

UC Davis - 11.5%, 3%
UC Irvine - 12%, 2.5%
UCLA - 10%, 8.5%
UCSD - 13.5%, 4.5%
UCSF - ?? (no data)

Doesn't mean it's easy to get into a UC, but it looks like they favor instate.

k, i've been reading this thread and wondering if i should still apply for the formal post-bacc program. for those of you who are doing a post-bacc program (informal or formal) at sfsu, which one would you recommend? pros/cons of each? thanks!

I'm doing the informal right now, and regular classes are pretty damn impacted. Only advantage I see of the formal program is guarantee of classes.

Informals (me) now have last registration priority, making it extremely difficult to get into lower division pre-reqs. Physics II, for example, this semester had almost 60 people on the unofficial and official waitlists and the prof said he's never taken more than 12. As #30 my chances were almost zero. I managed to get into a formal postbacc class but you can only do that twice. If I were just starting, I'd think very carefully about picking up classes as an informal. It's fraught with a lot of uncertainty and stress and if you can't get the classes you need you're screwed.

That said, apart from Physics, I've always gotten into every class I needed even as an Open U student. It can take weeks but it can happen. Just don't count on it.

In re formal v nonformal classes, I find the formal classes I've taken were not taught quite as well as the regular classes and were also a little harder. Not to mention the curve set by a class made entirely of ambitious premeds compared to a giant lecture hall of freshmen.

Sorry that was rambling.

Thanks for the replies! I'm applying to the program right now, and I wanted to know how competitive it is to get in...also, when do they notify you if you're accepted? I know they conduct interviews, but they don't provide a timeline as to when all this stuff happens.

So, I've decided that this is my last semester at SFSU because the school is just a mess right now. The school's overpopulated and it's really hard to get into any classes right now. I've sat in a total of about 10-12 classes and I was barely able to get into 3 to fill up my schedule (2 of which are upper div classes that are usually not hard to enroll in). It's pretty much impossible for me to get into any prereq class with a lab, and I tried them all this semester. The budget cuts really did a number on this school. If you're not applying to the formal program, I'd recommend you go elsewhere.

So, I've decided that this is my last semester at SFSU because the school is just a mess right now. The school's overpopulated and it's really hard to get into any classes right now. I've sat in a total of about 10-12 classes and I was barely able to get into 3 to fill up my schedule (2 of which are upper div classes that are usually not hard to enroll in). It's pretty much impossible for me to get into any prereq class with a lab, and I tried them all this semester. The budget cuts really did a number on this school. If you're not applying to the formal program, I'd recommend you go elsewhere.

:thumbup:

Are any of you in the formal program? I think I'm going to apply to it, considering the current situation right now. I was just wondering if the math classes are reserved for the formal postbacs only or is it integrated?

Are any of you in the formal program? I think I'm going to apply to it, considering the current situation right now. I was just wondering if the math classes are reserved for the formal postbacs only or is it integrated?

AFAIK, all the pre-reqs when you are in the formal post bacc classes are just with the formal post bacc students and those informal post baccs who are able to get in.

General FORMAL post-bac questions:

it sounds like Formal programs, SFSU and others, have you do the Pre-reqs (basic chem, bio and ochem) so...

1. With my pre-reqs done with my BS at UCI, does that mean im not allowed to take the formal program because I will have done those classes already?
2. If not, and I can take the formal program, will that look like im repeating the classes i took at uci?
3. can i take other classes (upper div classes) but be in the formal program to get guaranteed classes and early registration?

My pre-reqs completed made me look more into the INFORMAL post bac program, via a 2nd bachelors. Now, from what I understood post-bac is any classes after undergrad and declaring a 2nd bachelors simply helped for registration purposes, which seem to not be of much help now in SFSUs current budget state...so..

1) can i do an informal post bac ANYWHERE? CSUs, CCs (i know that is frowned upon) etc.
2) Do all 4/2 year universities/CS/CC allow you to do a 2nd bachelors, so I could essentially make my own 2nd post-bac program anywhere? such as Sac State or any other place close UC Davis...

SFSU specific questions...
How bad is it for Open U students trying to take UPPER DIV BIO CLASSES? I could do open U somewhere else since it sounds like SFSU is a bad place to be right now.

Overall, I'm a little confused for my situation what post-bac route i should take. Since i'll have my pre-reqs done, does that mean a formal program would be a repeat? Should I take informal route then and If so, should i declare a 2nd bachelors or try the OpenU route at someplace where its easy to get into upper div bio classes?

ps: this community is amazing and I want to thank everyone for all the threads!

i applied to sfsu's formal post-bac and am just wondering how competitive it is. do any of you know how many people apply each year? thx!

General FORMAL post-bac questions:

1. With my pre-reqs done with my BS at UCI, does that mean im not allowed to take the formal program because I will have done those classes already?
2. If not, and I can take the formal program, will that look like im repeating the classes i took at uci?
3. can i take other classes (upper div classes) but be in the formal program to get guaranteed classes and early registration?

1) can i do an informal post bac ANYWHERE? CSUs, CCs (i know that is frowned upon) etc.
2) Do all 4/2 year universities/CS/CC allow you to do a 2nd bachelors, so I could essentially make my own 2nd post-bac program anywhere? such as Sac State or any other place close UC Davis...

SFSU specific questions...
How bad is it for Open U students trying to take UPPER DIV BIO CLASSES? I could do open U somewhere else since it sounds like SFSU is a bad place to be right now.

The formal program at SFSU forces you to take all the prerequisites with a preset schedule in a timespan of two years, which may be a slow pace for some. If you've already taken your prereqs and you're happy with the grades, or if you only need to retake a few prereqs, then the formal program is not for you. One exception is that some schools prefer prereqs to be taken within 5 years of matriculation, so if your prereqs were taken a while ago, you might want to consider the formal program. I don't know SFSU's selection process, but yes, doing the formal program would mean you'd be repeating courses you took at UCI. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take upper div classes through OpenU while doing the formal program, but I'm not too sure about that. I'm sure other schools would allow you to do an informal postbac or 2nd bac, but you need to talk to an advisor in the schools you're interested in. Do not take classes at a CC, they should be taken at an accredited 4-year university. Upper div classes are usually not hard to get into through OpenU at SFSU, but they seem to be filling up now. Good luck and don't let the budget cuts and the economy get you down!

I was just called for an interview for the formal program. Did anyone else receive an interview?

Yup, I was called today too...congrats!

Hey everyone! This is my first post here at SDN. :p It's a great community of people who have the same goals in mind. I love it!

So, maybe those who have previously applied to SFSU Formal Post-bac could answer this question.

How long did it take for you to get a response back from them?

i applied in early march and heard back last week...PM me if you have any more questions! :)

I'm still waiting to hear back (on a late application).

I'm a bit worried because everything seems up in the air: how many students are they taking? how many applied? how the budget cuts affect everything (if at all)? if a certain GPA gets you in? or if they need to make some funky selections preferences to boost the program's credentials or stats in some way?

I can't imagine if I was out of state and waiting on a response that determined whether or not i would have to move in a month or so.

oh, and what's the interview like? do you think it's just a formality to make sure you're serious and that you are essentially in at that point?

Anyone here currently in the formal program. If so, what do you think of the program? The tuition is extremely high for a state school. Do you feel like there was value added by going through the formal program?

Thanks!

I'm still waiting to hear back (on a late application).

I'm a bit worried because everything seems up in the air: how many students are they taking? how many applied? how the budget cuts affect everything (if at all)? if a certain GPA gets you in? or if they need to make some funky selections preferences to boost the program's credentials or stats in some way?

I can't imagine if I was out of state and waiting on a response that determined whether or not i would have to move in a month or so.

oh, and what's the interview like? do you think it's just a formality to make sure you're serious and that you are essentially in at that point?

I don't think you are essentially in if you receive an interview. They wouldn't have an interview process, if that were the case.

I am not doing a formal program, but I looked into it and this is why I decided against it.

As far as I know, the certificate is very meaningless. Also, a friend of mind, who somehow took one class with the formal post-bacs over the summer, said that they were all rich brats from private schools with useless BA's who would dominate the class and ask irrelevant tangential or philosophical questions instead of focusing on learning the material for what would be on the test. If she hadn't already taken a handful of more advanced chem classes, and was only taking this for a requirement, she said she would have really been disadvantaged by the lectures.

When I went to ask about the formal program, I was surprised that the student working in the office had actually transferred out of it! She said it was actually tough at first, but the main thing is just finding other post-bacs in the general classes for studying with.

One thing is that I've heard it's very hard to get volunteer or clinical experience in San Francisco, and one big selling point of the formal program is that they have connections. So if you are worried about that, especially if you have little experience to begin with, then maybe the formal program will help. However, if you are confident about getting or already involved in clinical extra curricular's then you might not need the help. Or, I've heard it's very easy to get experience if you are able to travel to the East Bay or places outside of the main clinics in SF.

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I think it's very interesting that the person working in the office dropped out, but you're right the big selling point is the connections the program can provide.

anyone doing the dental adjunct? how is that program? why did you choose to apply to this program?

anyone doing the dental adjunct? how is that program? why did you choose to apply to this program?
I think the dental program has some sort of linkage with UCSF, which would be a big selling point.