*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugob1985

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know there have been a lot of postings about SFSU's post-bac program (formal, informal, open U), but I was hoping to start a more cohesive thread. I am strongly thinking about enrolling as an informal or Open U student at SFSU...(depending on the Cali Budget cut)

please state ur undergrad school, stats or any useful background info for introductions

Questions:

1. What is ur impression of the program? (Friendly students, good teachers and resources?)

2. Where do most post-bacs live in SF? (which specific areas, on campus or off campus?)

3. What are some good upper-level science classes to take?

4. How hard is it to get into the upper levels if u're a Open U student?

5. Any advice or criticism of the program?

THANKS for your input! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad: UC Davis
Program @ SFSU: Informal post-bacc
Starting: Summer 08 (maybe)
Everything else: I'd like to know too

Deciding between Georgetown SMP and SFSU 2nd BS. Hopefully the med schools I'm contacting will give me more insight, but I think they'll be polite and say they're both fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad: UC Davis
Program @ SFSU: Informal post-bacc
Starting: Summer 08 (maybe)
Everything else: I'd like to know too

Deciding between Georgetown SMP and SFSU 2nd BS. Hopefully the med schools I'm contacting will give me more insight, but I think they'll be polite and say they're both fine.

Ya, same here. I was looking at Georgetown's program...but so freaking expensive and the cost of living in DC is crazy too....plus SF gives a better value education and it's a much more fun and interesting city! :D

Well I've been checking this forum for a few weeks now and thought I might as well actually start chiming in on the discussions. I graduated from a UC this past Spring 2007. I already knew my GPA needed some work so I decided to do the SFSU Informal Post Bac program to get on it. I enrolled at SFSU because it was much more cost-effective to work on my GPA through this program than say, doing a 5th year.

In any case, I started taking classes this Fall and currently still am this Spring. Overall, I like the atmosphere. The professors are all pretty genuine and always willing to help. Coming from a UC, I was blown away by the smaller class sizes at SFSU. Definitely an advantage in getting to know your professors on a much personal level. The classes for the most part are pretty good as well. I came into this program with barebones pre-med foundation since I was a non-bio major so I can't exactly compare if the classes are easier or not but I can tell you that the classes are straightforward. Most professors will tell you what they expect you to know for tests so another definite plus.

But what I like most is the fact that SFSU is flooded with other post-bacs. I initially came with the misconception that I'll be the only one in a crowd of undergrad students. But there's tons of other post-bacs on the same boat as me. I've met so many of them, recent grads, career changers, reapplicants, so it's definitely a good feeling to know that you're not alone in working your way up. With all these post-bacs though comes a slight caveat, we are all working so hard to get those A's that curved classes can be a challenge in itself.

Well now that my virgin post is coming to an end, hope it helps! :)

Well I've been checking this forum for a few weeks now and thought I might as well actually start chiming in on the discussions. I graduated from a UC this past Spring 2007. I already knew my GPA needed some work so I decided to do the SFSU Informal Post Bac program to get on it. I enrolled at SFSU because it was much more cost-effective to work on my GPA through this program than say, doing a 5th year.

In any case, I started taking classes this Fall and currently still am this Spring. Overall, I like the atmosphere. The professors are all pretty genuine and always willing to help. Coming from a UC, I was blown away by the smaller class sizes at SFSU. Definitely an advantage in getting to know your professors on a much personal level. The classes for the most part are pretty good as well. I came into this program with barebones pre-med foundation since I was a non-bio major so I can't exactly compare if the classes are easier or not but I can tell you that the classes are straightforward. Most professors will tell you what they expect you to know for tests so another definite plus.

But what I like most is the fact that SFSU is flooded with other post-bacs. I initially came with the misconception that I'll be the only one in a crowd of undergrad students. But there's tons of other post-bacs on the same boat as me. I've met so many of them, recent grads, career changers, reapplicants, so it's definitely a good feeling to know that you're not alone in working your way up. With all these post-bacs though comes a slight caveat, we are all working so hard to get those A's that curved classes can be a challenge in itself.

Well now that my virgin post is coming to an end, hope it helps! :)
Thanks for the insight into SFSU!

Do you think it's helped your application? Do you regret enrolling at SFSU for any reason? And why didn't you end up doing a SMP as opposed to raising your uGPA? (I assume you'll say cost-effectiveness, but thought I'd make sure).

Do you think it's helped your application? Do you regret enrolling at SFSU for any reason? And why didn't you end up doing a SMP as opposed to raising your uGPA? (I assume you'll say cost-effectiveness, but thought I'd make sure).

I honestly think it's helping me. Although I haven't been lucky with med school apps so far, I've already contacted the schools that rejected me for tips and suggestions and they've been praising me for my continued effort in pursuing postbac work because it shows my genuine motivation to improve my application package. So no regrets at all doing SFSU. Funny thing is, my intial plan was to do an SMP, but due to senoritis, I bummed around and didn't have my letters of recs in time for their deadlines last Spring 2007. So thank God I already applied to SFSU way back in Fall 2006 as another option. But SMP or not, I probably would have still done SFSU since it IS cheaper and gets the job done of improving my GPA. :D

I honestly think it's helping me. Although I haven't been lucky with med school apps so far, I've already contacted the schools that rejected me for tips and suggestions and they've been praising me for my continued effort in pursuing postbac work because it shows my genuine motivation to improve my application package. So no regrets at all doing SFSU. Funny thing is, my intial plan was to do an SMP, but due to senoritis, I bummed around and didn't have my letters of recs in time for their deadlines last Spring 2007. So thank God I already applied to SFSU way back in Fall 2006 as another option. But SMP or not, I probably would have still done SFSU since it IS cheaper and gets the job done of improving my GPA. :D

That's good news that med schools seem to be receptive to post-bacc work. I'm guessing that your cycle would've been better if you had the full year under your belt.

I'm wondering if there's time to do other things while I'm in the city. I'm thinking about being a lay health educator at a clinic in the city but I also obviously want to destroy my courses and that takes priority.

i was accepted for the second bac program. i'm waiting to hear from the sfsu/ucsf dental postbac program. i was told in an email that applicants would hear about any interview after april 14th.

I wanted to apply to SFSU but their informal postbacc is closed or at least it was in February when I wanted to apply so I just applied to the formal UC postbaccs. I called SFSU to ask why they weren't accepting anymore postbaccs and they said it was due to budget cuts.

Couple questions for my informal buddies:

1. Is anyone going to orientation?
2. I'm from UC Davis and my units didn't transfer according to DARS and assist.org

Does that mean I'm SOL for registration priority?

Members don't see this ad :)
Parking is such a hassle at SFSU. If you can take public transportation, do so. Or take the BART shuttle to/from school (it's free!). If you do need to drive, there's a bunch of street parking on 19th Ave. But get these before 8AM. Or hunt around at the top of each hour when some people leave their spots. Or you can park around John Daly Blvd; it's a block further from campus but there's less cars lurking around for spots. There are spots behind campus next to the parking garage but they also fill up quickly in the morning. Stonestown mall is next to SFSU but it's notorious for towing cars that aren't there for businesses. Unfortunately, the garage doesn't offer semester, or even monthly permits for that matter! It's a BUCK per hour or FIVE bucks maximum for the whole day. BTW, the parking stub machine is too picky. It only likes nice, crisp, clean bills. I've stuck old, crusty bills before and they spit it out like poison. Good luck finding a parking spot. hahaha :D

Okay. So the shuttle is free from BART, but is it free to park there at BART?
Should be. At worse, it's a buck. BART's website has a list of which stations charge.

Finding a parking space at the station, however, tends to be another issue.

Is anyone going to orientation, BTW?

God, I didn't know parking was so bad at SFSU. If you have a monthly permit BART guarantees parking before 10 am. I am not going around circles near campus hoping for a spot and I am not risking my car getting towed.
I am going to orientation; the only reason is because I want to register for classes sooner.

Well you'll be circling BART's lot for a while too. I guess it's fine before 10 am but it's impossible in the afternoon.

I'm bummed out about SFSU too. I was hoping to take my car with me for weekend trips.

I wonder if it is too late to sign up for on campus housing.
My friend put in her app two weeks ago and was told she'd be looking at a waitlist. We certainly have an advantage as slightly older students since we have two sets of apartment-style dorms set aside for us.

I'd call and find out if spending $55 is worth it.

I was wondering if anyone here is enrolled in the formal program. Do you feel you have any significant advantage over students in the informal program?

Thanks for any replies!

Thanks for your reply Lizzi.

So, the formal postbac students take separate classes from the other students, including the informal postbac ones?

You know, I asked that very question when speaking with the informal and formal postbac advisers. The adviser for the formal program wrote in response to my question about separate classes:

"The formal class sections usually have asterisks for course numbers and a PH
notation/link next to them in the class schedule, which means they are
specifically for the formal postbacc students. However, informal
students are eligible to be admitted to a limited number of formal
lecture sections, which they can show up and petition to get into on
the first day. Your chances of getting in are much better if you've
never taken a formal class before than if you've taken two or three,
so you'll likely be in great shape if you choose to do this."

The informal adviser wrote:

"No specific class (except for the labs) are closed to informal students. However, informal students are only able to take a maximum of 2 classes with the formal students."

So I guess that is a yes and a no. It sounds like there is an opportunity to take up to two lectures (maybe more?) with formal students, but no labs.

The informal adviser's email is: [email protected] and her name is Marie

Thanks for that post! I was wondering the same thing since I'm going to be taking classes through OpenU during 2008-2009. I tried to enroll in the same class as formal students during the summer, but I saw the asterisks and didn't know how to get in. I hope it won't be too hard to get into classes during the Fall.

those of you attending in the fall, are you guys bringing a car with you up there?

those of you attending in the fall, are you guys bringing a car with you up there?
I want to. If I live in the dorm, probably not. Those fools put me in double occupancy, so I'm thinking of just renting from another place.

Hey all, I was interrested in applying to SFSU as an undergraduate transfer student for the Spring 2009 semester, but heard a rumor that they are not accepting Spring transfers this year due to budget cuts?! If anyone knows any more information about this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I went to an advising session yesterday and was told I could probably transfer as a postbacc for Spring 2009 without any problems. I started a postbacc at San Jose State in Spring, thought I'd take a couple of Open U classes at SFSU over the summer, and decided I prefer it here. So I've moved to the city and am crossing my fingers that I can get in as an Open U student to more classes in the fall.

Any postbaccers taking chem 215 or ochem this summer by any chance?

I'm going to be starting my informal post bacc at sfstate this fall as well. Just curious how many units other people plan on taking. If you go with the example schedule, just taking 2 courses for fall semester seems a bit light, no?

Yeah, probably a little light. Last semester I took 2 classes + 2 labs + a 2 hour daily commute + full time work and still thought it surprisingly easy. Planning on 3 classes with labs in the fall plus volunteering, but I'm in a hurry.

I'm not taking the suggested sequence. I started the postbacc at another school that has a different suggested sequence, so I'm trying to adapt in the meantime. Last Spring I took Animal Bio/Gen Chem I/Pre-Calc and am doing gen chem II and O-chem I at the same time now. Fall line-up looks like O-chem II/Phys I/Bio, which only leaves phys II and biochem for Spring while I study for the MCAT. The plan changes pretty regularly though.

Hello All,

I just went for my orientation yesterday at SFSU to get registered and to learn more about the school. Well of course there was nothing really valuable there that I could take away from the orientation, but it did leave me with some questions that I hope you all can answer for me.

So I am starting this fall in the Informal Postbac program:

1. Did you have problems getting classes when you first started? (Was only able to enroll in Physics I and Precal, everything else was wait list or closed)

2. Whats up with the JEPET test and did anyone take it?

3. How have you juggled work with classes.

4. Paying for school? (Any advice on taking out loans to pay for school if you have already exhausted your Federal Loans from undergrad?)

Any advice, or assistance would be helpful as I am starting.

A little about me:

I finished undergrad in 1999, but have made many attempts at taking classes her aand there at local community colleges which have turned out disasterous. So took a break from that and now want to really put the effort into improving my undergrad grades. Have decided to retake all courses no matter what.

Thanks.

1. Did you have problems getting classes when you first started? (Was only able to enroll in Physics I and Precal, everything else was wait list or closed)
REALLY? What else did you try signing up for?

Hopefully electives are still free... like endocrinology, microbio, cardio physio, etc.

You've got me worried since I ditched orientation and am settling for my registration date on the 22nd.

REALLY? What else did you try signing up for?

Hopefully electives are still free... like endocrinology, microbio, cardio physio, etc.

You've got me worried since I ditched orientation and am settling for my registration date on the 22nd.

I mostly was trying to sign up for the lower division courses like Bio I and Chemistry I since I am basically starting over from scratch. Both Bio I and II were closed, not even waitlist was open and then I tried to sign up for Chemistry I but I could only sign up for 8 units at the time so I have to wait until July 21st to continue to register:rolleyes:. And I still want to work out the current schedule that I have cause the 2 classes that I do have are MWF in the middle of the day.

But I was wondering with out pre-reqs how can you take the electives like endo, micro, cardio, and physio (which I believe are probably still open) because I wanted to take Genetics, but I have to wait until the 21st to find out.

By the way, you didn't miss anything at orientation so don't worry about it.

I asked the speaker at the orientation about JEPET and she said, because I wasn't actually going to be completing the Biology degree that I did not have to take the JEPET and that as a 2nd bac it would not have an effect on priority registration. I didn't get a chance to ask here how they would differentiate us from those who were pursuing a degree (since technically it looks like on paper we are), because she started yelling at someone else about something. I'll ask my "adviser". The registration situation is difficult for most lower division courses. I decided instead of stressing about it that I would just take some courses that I am a little shaky on anyhow. I would rather be prepared than trying to rush through and have to reapply. Applying to medical school is so expensive; especially twice!

You know Lizzi, I asked her the same thing and she confirmed what you said above, but then I met up with another informal postbac student she said that her boyfriend was in another orientation and the speaker told him that if they didn't take the JEPET you would loose the priority registration. He was in the school of Health Science Orientation as a postbac. So I don't know, I'm a bit confussed but I will too ask my adviser when I get there.

I mostly was trying to sign up for the lower division courses like Bio I and Chemistry I since I am basically starting over from scratch. Both Bio I and II were closed, not even waitlist was open and then I tried to sign up for Chemistry I but I could only sign up for 8 units at the time so I have to wait until July 21st to continue to register:rolleyes:. And I still want to work out the current schedule that I have cause the 2 classes that I do have are MWF in the middle of the day.

But I was wondering with out pre-reqs how can you take the electives like endo, micro, cardio, and physio (which I believe are probably still open) because I wanted to take Genetics, but I have to wait until the 21st to find out.

By the way, you didn't miss anything at orientation so don't worry about it.
Well I took my pre-reqs at Davis and I don't want to take them again. None of my units appear to have transferred over (they don't appear on DARS and there are no equivalencies according to assist.org).

One reason that I wanted to go to orientation was to meet with advisors to settle this issue, but they cancelled individual advising the week before I went.

I e-mailed the post-bacc office about this, however, and they said that most professors don't care. They recommended simply bringing a copy of my transcript and my course descriptions from UC Davis to skip prereqs...

I hope that they know what they're talking about.

Gen Chem II and O-chem I, during summer?
How is it taking those two classes together so far?

Well it's keeping me busy, that's for sure. But I'm not working so I have the time to study. Lab starts next week though, and that's every day...

As for getting classes: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for fall as an Open U student, but I know lower div sciences won't be easy to add. Both my classes this summer were full too, but I found- like through undergrad- that if I stuck around for a week or two and generally made a nuisance of myself the profs typically let me in eventually as other people drop in the first few weeks. The challenge, I think, will be getting into lab sections, which have very strict enrollment limits.

I e-mailed the post-bacc office about this, however, and they said that most professors don't care. They recommended simply bringing a copy of my transcript and my course descriptions from UC Davis to skip prereqs...

I hope that they know what they're talking about.

I'm a post-bacc at SFSU currently (waiting on decisions from Drexel IMS and Georgetown SMP) and I can tell you with certainty that professors accept transcripts from other schools to satisfy pre-reqs. They don't really care about DARS or any of that nonsense; they just want to know their class isn't going to torpedo your GPA because of inadequate preparation.

I was able to take CHEM 349 (Gen Biochem) using pre-reqs from UC Davis and it wasn't an issue. The same goes for BIO 2A/B/C from UCD in order to add physiology courses. You'll be fine.

You know Lizzi, I asked her the same thing and she confirmed what you said above, but then I met up with another informal postbac student she said that her boyfriend was in another orientation and the speaker told him that if they didn't take the JEPET you would loose the priority registration.

Having been a post-bacc at SFSU, I can tell you that the JEPET isn't something to be worried about it. I never dealt with it and I've had consistently early registration times for the last 4 semesters.

I'm a post-bacc at SFSU currently (waiting on decisions from Drexel IMS and Georgetown SMP) and I can tell you with certainty that professors accept transcripts from other schools to satisfy pre-reqs. They don't really care about DARS or any of that nonsense; they just want to know their class isn't going to torpedo your GPA because of inadequate preparation.

I was able to take CHEM 349 (Gen Biochem) using pre-reqs from UC Davis and it wasn't an issue. The same goes for BIO 2A/B/C from UCD in order to add physiology courses. You'll be fine.
Great to hear, thanks!

Are you going to apply to med schools while in your SMP?