*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you going to apply to med schools while in your SMP?

If I get admitted (*knocking on wood*), that is the plan. First I have to knock out the MCAT (t-minus six days...)

Members don't see this ad.

If I get admitted (*knocking on wood*), that is the plan. First I have to knock out the MCAT (t-minus six days...)
Good luck! Good to see someone crazy enough to share my plan for SFSU first, then Georgetown to seal the deal (hopefully).

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! Good to see someone crazy enough to share my plan for SFSU first, then Georgetown to seal the deal (hopefully).

If at first you don't succeed...

Going to a SMP wasn't my plan from the outset; I simply calculated my GPA this last semester and realized my BCPM was hurting and as such, my credentials could use additional bolstering before applying to US MD schools.

That's not to say that SFSU isn't totally capable of helping some students gain admission to medical school, rather, my sGPA was just so low when I entered the program that I need all the help I can get. A former Gator and friend of mine was accepted to UCLA this last application cycle and starts school there soon; another friend is matriculating at UCSF this fall. It all depends on how much time and effort you're willing to pour into it.

check out http://lakewoodapts.com/s/homepage for housing by SFS. right across from lake merced and relatively inexpensive studios with assigned parking.
Moochy also had a good suggestion for Daly City. Rent drops as much as $500 once you cross county lines.

There are some apartments near the Daly City BART station. Apparently SFSU has a shuttle that runs between the main campus and that BART station.

Anyone have experiences with it? Is it too crowded for use? Or is it reasonable?

Last edited:
The shuttle can get pretty packed during peak hours (8AM-10AM and 4PM-6PM) but if you want to save some money and you're not worried about living in SF, suck it up on the shuttle and enjoy the extra $400 per month in your pocket :)

The shuttle can get pretty packed during peak hours (8AM-10AM and 4PM-6PM) but if you want to save some money and you're not worried about living in SF, suck it up on the shuttle and enjoy the extra $400 per month in your pocket :)
Thanks for the info. I was skeptical after seeing how packed Unitrans can get in Davis, much less the puny shuttle that SFSU uses.

At least Daly City opens up a few more housing options. Apartment shopping sucks!

REALLY? What else did you try signing up for?

Hopefully electives are still free... like endocrinology, microbio, cardio physio, etc.

You've got me worried since I ditched orientation and am settling for my registration date on the 22nd.

I did the same, my priority date isn't until the 28th. I guess I'll be spending a good week trying to crash some classes.

I did the same, my priority date isn't until the 28th. I guess I'll be spending a good week trying to crash some classes.

Don't worry too much as the upper division courses tend to shift around a lot in the first week or so. Most professors are quite receptive to post-baccs who show a strong desire to do well in the class. If they say "I'm not doing any adds" on the first day and you're able to stick around anyway, do so. I've had instructors tell me flat-out that it wouldn't work but after three class meetings, I was enrolled.

Good luck!

San Francisco State is a public university located in San Francisco,California, bordering Lake Merced at the corner of 19th and Holloway avenues. San Francisco State University was founded in 1899, making it one of California's oldest public universities.
San Francisco State recognise itself as a center of academic scholarship, creative introduction and civil involvement. Located in one of the most vibrant and popular cities in the world, a range of ideas, opinions and resources converge at SF State to offer students unique opportunities for learning, exploration, creativity and discovery.
-------------------------
joey

Wide Circles

looks like the first semester of biol, physics and chem are all full (and waitlist is full too)...

Members don't see this ad :)
If any of you guys are taking Microbiology (BIOL 401) and/or Endocrinology (Biol 620) this coming semester, I have used books for sale. Microbio book is for $50 and Endo book is $20 or $60 for both! I need to get rid of them before I move out of town so PM me ASAP. And as always, if you had any questions about post-bac at SFSU, I'm your guy. I did informal postbac this past year and was very satisfied with my experience.

I guess I'll be seeing you all the first day of class trying to add physics, chem, and bio...

I hate the first week of the semester, not knowing if you have any classes or not. FWIW my summer classes were overflowing with dozens like me trying to add outside the waitlist and I managed to get in to two lectures and a lab. Good luck everybody-

I just noticed this message next to Chem 115, Mandatory chemistry placement exam for all students regardless of prior preparation or experience.

Just curious if it's possible to not take it? I have completed the equivalent class at UCSC, but the class was on the quarter system and it was a few years ago, so I wanted to retake the class to be in better shape for 215 and o-chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebratu
I just noticed this message next to Chem 115, Mandatory chemistry placement exam for all students regardless of prior preparation or experience.

Just curious if it's possible to not take it? I have completed the equivalent class at UCSC, but the class was on the quarter system and it was a few years ago, so I wanted to retake the class to be in better shape for 215 and o-chem.

I asked the same question and I was told: No one is excused from the placement test; even if you take Chem 100 (Preparation for Chem) and get a passing grade you still have to take the exam if you want to take Chem 115. Even if you have taken an equivalent chemistry class before, you have to still take the exam. More than likely you aren't the only one who overlooked that detail so there may be some room opening up in some of the Chem 115 sections since not everyone who takes the test will pass the test.

Lizzi, this really sucks. I have the same issue with Physics, but in my case the last time I have even stepped foot in a a physics or math class was like 10+ years ago. I just recieved the email notice yesterday about this placement exam...something I really overlooked when I enrolled in the class.. Oh well I know what I will be doing this weekend....

Last edited:
My concern with the way they have these exams set up is, what happens if someone doesn't pass and the intro classes are full? They all look pretty full to me. I wonder if they have reserved seats for a number of students who do not pass the exam and need to enroll in the prep course.
Good luck on the exam.

I'm curious what percent of the people who take the placement exam do not score high enough to begin with? I assume they have dealt with this before. I think what makes it easier to crash chem 100 is that there is no lab for it I believe.

Also, it's painful having to wait until after classes have started to find out.

Hey all,

So I'm applying for the SPRING 2009 informal post-bac prog. I graduate undergrad / BA in psych this Fall 2008 semester, so the timing would be ideal. But I fear they won't take students then because of budget cuts. Any word on that?

The app says not to include any course work that I am currently completing, but I am 12 credits away from my BA, applying straight from undergrad, so it makes sense that I include my BA in progress anyway, right?

It says admission cannot be given until BA is completed, but does that mean people who apply before finishing their BA for straight out of undergrad are at a disadvantage? Maybe I am just being paranoid here...

I have to admit, the formal program is still tempting. I like the structure, the registration guarantee, and the idea of forming a tight knit community with fellow post-bac students over the 2 years. And I don't want to underestimate the importance of those factors in staying motivated, interested, and engaged with this journey. What do you all think?

SF State WILL accept postbacc candidates for pre-health professions only- all other 2nd BA's have been cut. I'm not sure if you've applied already (in which case you would probably have been rejected, which happened to me), but you need to fill out the special application at the pre-health dept and get approved for the application process, after which you should be able to get in without a problem. I'm an Open U student there at the moment and was accepted for Spring after consulting them. Info and special app can be found here: http://online.sfsu.edu/~brothman/Informal.htm

After you're approved you can then apply through the regular CSU portal. But do it soon! I think the application process closes in 2 days or so.

Last year I was accepted while finishing my degree so that shouldn't be an issue. I ended up at another CSU (mistake) and am now in process of transferring.

As for the formal/informal postbacc, I would highly recommend the 2nd BA/informal route over the formal. Even as an Open University student I haven't had any trouble getting the classes I need as long as I can stick it out and bite my nails for the first week or two. From what I've heard from those in the formal program, it's extremely pricey and offers little in the way of flexibility with very little added benefit. I've taken classes in both programs and actually found the formal classes a little tougher, as it's a relatively small group of highly motivated students all gunning for that A, as another poster mentioned. We informal postbaccs have our own little close-knit groups too (and we outnumber the formals), so come join us!

But if you're rolling in cash and like the security of guaranteed enrollment (which many do), by all means look into both. I know people in the formal program who are trying to get out and some informals who lament not starting the formal track. Either way, good luck, and see you in Spring-

I should clarify about the "you've probably already been rejected" statement- I meant if you applied directly through CSU mentor without the preliminary pre-health dept permission. Sorry if that was confusing.

Did anybody take the Physics placement test today? I'm taking it tomorrow and was wondering if I should be worried...

I've gotten to go-ahead from the post-bacc department side and I turned in my application about mid August but haven't heard back from SFSU undergraduate admissions yet. Should I be worried?

I'm a relatively low g.p.a. student (2.7) with a bio degree from a UC. I was wondering what other Spring 2009 students are doing in terms of signing up for classes and research and so on in the Bay area. I know my questions are pretty vague, but I just want to get on the correct route this time and not throw away my last opportunity to get to where I want. Should I set up a meeting with a counselor even though I haven't been formally accepted yet or should I try to set something up with the post-bacc department? Thanks a lot.

I should clarify about the "you've probably already been rejected" statement- I meant if you applied directly through CSU mentor without the preliminary pre-health dept permission. Sorry if that was confusing.

Did anybody take the Physics placement test today? I'm taking it tomorrow and was wondering if I should be worried...

kind of a late reply, cause you probably passed it, as it really wasn't that difficult as long as you know some basic math and briefly reviewed the topics mentioned on diagnostic test page.

I assume you got in? Are you taking 3 lecture's and labs? I'm doing that right now and it is keeping me busy, although seems manageable so far.

Hey nebratu,

Yeah, passed it no problem. Still taking 3 lectures/labs (2 at SFSU, 1 at San Jose State... long story) and it's not looking nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Finding a decent volunteer gig, on the other hand...

Are you in the MWF section or the T/Th one?

Hey nebratu,

Yeah, passed it no problem. Still taking 3 lectures/labs (2 at SFSU, 1 at San Jose State... long story) and it's not looking nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Finding a decent volunteer gig, on the other hand...

Are you in the MWF section or the T/Th one?
Yep a clinical internship of decent quality seems to be pretty hard to get around SFSU. Med students at UCSF are utterly useless at returning emails about applications too. I suppose common courtesy isn't common any more.

Informal post-bacs,

how many classes are you taking per term?

I have to take all the pre-req's. I am starting this spring 2009, so I'm thinking 2 per term for this spring and summer, then 3 per term for fall and spring.

I should avoid stuffing 3 courses into the summer summer term, right?

Do people recommend doing Session #1 & #3, and avoiding Session #2 (if you are only taking 2 courses total over the summer)?

I thought about the formal program, but I think it just takes too effing long. I wouldn't be able to apply until fall 2011. Through the informal, I can do that a year earlier, without even rushing things, and having the whole summer to concentrate on MCATs and applications. I would even do 3 courses per term, but it wouldn't make a difference -- fall 2010 is the earliest I could realistically apply.

Also, anyone else starting this spring 2009? I'd like to find study partners. I have heard that's important for informals.

Last edited:
Hi this is for those who got into medical school following the SFSU post bac. Is it frowned upon to go from a UC to a state school, in other words does reputation matter...would they prefer that you continue at your undergrad school or did u guys not have a problem at all??

I graduated from a UC but was basically told by admissions that they were accepting no second BAs and that if I wanted to try going the open U route it would be pretty much impossible to get classes and wasn't even worth trying. Thus, state school or a pricey formal postbacc were the only options, and I'm sure med schools realize this. I know SFSU sends people to medschool every year so it can't be frowned on too much. I'm not a med student though, and I wonder if those who went for a postbacc still hang out in this forum. Any current med students who did a cal state postbacc care to chime in?

Now a UC to a community college would definitely be frowned upon, but I was told by an admissions rep from a top 10 school that as long as I did my prereqs at a 4 year I should be fine.

There are always exceptions with respect to people who do post-bacc work at CCs who are ultimately accepted into med schools. As I understand it, though, a four-year university is considered fine for post-bacc work and a UC to a CSU will not be seen as a problem.

As for how many classes I'm taking, I'm taking 5 classes. A lot of post-baccs I've talked to are taking fewer than this, but most of them are also working.

Hi,

My boyfriend (long term--almost 9 years) and I are starting the Informal Postbac this January. We are looking to rent a room together. Do you guys have any advice on housing? On campus apartments are too expensive, and off campus housing usually doesn't rent out to couples. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Hi,

My boyfriend (long term--almost 9 years) and I are starting the Informal Postbac this January. We are looking to rent a room together. Do you guys have any advice on housing? On campus apartments are too expensive, and off campus housing usually doesn't rent out to couples. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!
Westlake Village Apartments is a pretty affordable spot and in a convenient location in terms of food/groceries/stores as some units border Westlake Plaza (which is where many SFSU students go to get their stuff anyway). Buses and the BART shuttle run to campus frequently.

I only suggest that you ask for a cottage-style townhouse (several townhomes share a common lawn). I believe they call them "garden" units. It's in a much better area than the dorm-like apartment buildings that you'll see frequently crappy reviews for online.

Regardless, keep in mind that muni and BART open up a lot of areas to you that may look far on paper but are relatively convenient otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, what are informal postbaccs out there doing in terms of ECs? I've been in the city for about 6 months now and haven't managed to find any clinical volunteering or research opportunities at all, and apart from a little community service haven't been up to much. It seems I've submitted an application to every free clinic and hospice in the city without hearing a word, and many of my compatriots are in similar straits. Even Habitat for Humanity has a many months-long waiting list.

Any advice from those fortunate to find a quality gig would I'm sure appreciated by us all. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, what are informal postbaccs out there doing in terms of ECs? I've been in the city for about 6 months now and haven't managed to find any clinical volunteering or research opportunities at all, and apart from a little community service haven't been up to much. It seems I've submitted an application to every free clinic and hospice in the city without hearing a word, and many of my compatriots are in similar straits. Even Habitat for Humanity has a many months-long waiting list.

Any advice from those fortunate to find a quality gig would I'm sure appreciated by us all. Thanks!
Thanks for asking this. I don't really have the time in my schedule for any crappy gigs, so I don't even want an internship for the sake of having one. I want a substantive one, which is even more impossible to find.

UCSF med students are amazingly rude too. They solicit apps and then you never hear back no matter how many e-mails you send to ask.

Informal post-bacs,

how many classes are you taking per term?

I have to take all the pre-req's. I am starting this spring 2009, so I'm thinking 2 per term for this spring and summer, then 3 per term for fall and spring.

I should avoid stuffing 3 courses into the summer summer term, right?

Do people recommend doing Session #1 & #3, and avoiding Session #2 (if you are only taking 2 courses total over the summer)?

I thought about the formal program, but I think it just takes too effing long. I wouldn't be able to apply until fall 2011. Through the informal, I can do that a year earlier, without even rushing things, and having the whole summer to concentrate on MCATs and applications. I would even do 3 courses per term, but it wouldn't make a difference -- fall 2010 is the earliest I could realistically apply.

Also, anyone else starting this spring 2009? I'd like to find study partners. I have heard that's important for informals.

I've been taking classes through OpenU af SFSU since Summer 2008 and in my opinion, 2 classes per term is too light of a courseload (except MAYBE summer since it's accelerated). I took 4 classes during the summer (both Physics classes with labs), and people thought I was crazy, but it really wasn't that bad. My schedule was a little demanding with a lab and 2 lectures 4 days a week, but it was managable. I'm just about to finish 4 classes this semester, and it's been pretty easy (2-3 hours of lecture everyday). If only I could get into these damn labs, I could finish by the end of Summer 2009. :p

I think you should go for 3 classes per term, especially since the adcoms are gonna want to know that you can handle a full courseload. If you wanna be safe though, try 2 classes for this Spring and see how well you handle it. The formal program I'd say is a pretty average pace for someone who doesn't have a science background. The informal program is good for those who want to take more classes per term, but it's a lot harder to get into the classes, especially now with the budget cuts. Don't even look at the "Model Pre-Req Schedule for Informal Post-Bacs..." it should not take 3 years to finish.

Good luck getting into your classes... you're gonna be competing with me to enroll! :D

This thread has been very helpful thus far.

I graduated '07 with an engineering degree (and a not-so-great GPA from a good school), but have since decided that dentistry is the career for me.
While working full time, I am taking gen chem 1 and 2 at American University (in D.C.), but I plan to move out to the SF area late this spring/early summer ('09; g/f is applying to arch school in the area). There, I hope to stomp out all the other pre-reqs (calc x2, phys x2, bio x2?, orgo, and whatever else I fancy/need) in a year.

I haven't done much in-depth research into SFSU, but does it sound like they will be able to accomodate such a demand for classes, at least for someone just moving to California? My goal is to get into UoP for dental school, but we'll see how that goes.

Any pointers for applying to the post-bacc program, or if other schools in the area have post-bacc opportunities, would be greatly appreciated. Any sort of direction to being the net-crawling, really.
Thanks!

This thread has been very helpful thus far.

I graduated '07 with an engineering degree (and a not-so-great GPA from a good school), but have since decided that dentistry is the career for me.
While working full time, I am taking gen chem 1 and 2 at American University (in D.C.), but I plan to move out to the SF area late this spring/early summer ('09; g/f is applying to arch school in the area). There, I hope to stomp out all the other pre-reqs (calc x2, phys x2, bio x2?, orgo, and whatever else I fancy/need) in a year.

I haven't done much in-depth research into SFSU, but does it sound like they will be able to accomodate such a demand for classes, at least for someone just moving to California? My goal is to get into UoP for dental school, but we'll see how that goes.

Any pointers for applying to the post-bacc program, or if other schools in the area have post-bacc opportunities, would be greatly appreciated. Any sort of direction to being the net-crawling, really.
Thanks!

Ok, so here's a quick rundown of the postbac program at SFSU. They offer three types of programs for pre-health postbac students: the Formal Program, the 2nd-Bac (Informal) Program, and OpenU (Informal).

The Formal Program accepts a few students and requires that you apply and get accepted into the program. Once you're in, the program is rigid and structured and you have a set schedule with the same group of postbac students that you enter with. There's no flexibility, but you're guaranteed enrollment in all your prereqs and you have a good group of motivated postbac students to study with throughout the entire program.

The Informal Program is not really a program, rather it allows you to take whatever classes you need at your own pace. You can apply for 2nd-Bac status which allows you to enroll online like the regular students. Just recently though, registration priority for "2nd-Bac status" postbac students has dropped to last. Applications for next Fall 2009 are closed and acceptances are very limited (60 students) because of budget cuts.

OpenU is the third option which lets anyone enroll in any class (given you satisfy the prereqs for the class) and is done through the College of Extended Learning. The MAJOR disadvantages though are that you are absolutely at the end of the priority list when enrolling for classes, the tuition is expensive, and you are not eligible for financial aid. This is what I'm currently doing, and so far, it's been a real pain to get into these classes. The upside is that you can enroll early during summer, so I'd recommend taking the hard-to-get-into classes then. Luckily, there's a lot of undergraduate flakers af SFSU which means that if you take your chances and attend class for about 2 weeks, you'll see a lot of people drop out of the class. Labs are another story though, I couldn't get into any this semester.

From what you've said, it seems as though you'd be stuck with OpenU until they accept 2nd-bac applications for Spring 2010. Also, I'd check up on the prereq requirements for all the schools you're interested in. I know all the ones I'll be applying to don't require Calculus, including UoP. Ok, I should stop procrastinating and study for my last Biochem final. If you ever take it with Buttlaire, be prepared cuz it's pretty tough (almost comparable to UCLA).

Hope this helped!

I've been wondering the same thing about volunteering opportunities. Any suggestions, anyone?

There's always craigslist as a last resort. Seriously, my non-clinical volunteering (tutoring beginning English to refugees with MS) and, hopefully starting next week, a research assistant gig at UCSF were both listed under the volunteer sections. Most of those who placed volunteers-wanted ads never bothered to respond to my emails or applications but you might get lucky.

Another suggestion I heard in re clinical experience is applying somewhere outside the city (which is crawling with ambitious pre-meds) and try clinics in Oakland or Richmond if you don't mind spending a little time on BART. I know at least one post-bacc got into UCSF after finding a quality, steady volunteer gig in Oakland.

OR, if you have most of your prereqs done, there are a few on-campus basic science research opportunities. If this UCSF thing doesn't work out (phone interview over a week ago but no response to emails now...) I'll shoot for o-chem research or something. I'm afraid that if I can't find anything soon I'll end up with a pretty thin application come June...

Again, good luck everybody, and share some more ideas!

I took your advice and in the process of applying to Highlands. Thanks again!

For Open University, I know getting into Bio or Physics would be next to impossible but how about upper division courses like Genetics or Biochem? If you show up for the first 2 weeks are the chances decent?

Anyone take other BCPM courses, like Astronomy? Astronomy is one of my big loves so I'll probably take it anyway.

Didn't see this posted on here, but just saw this on the informal post-bac website:

Important Notes:

Starting in Spring 09, 2nd-Bacs will have a lowered registration priority compared to that of previous semesters. This may make it difficult for 2nd-Bacs to get into the classes they need. If such a scenario emerges, SFSU may offer additional sections of courses for 2nd-Bacs costing about $300/unit in additional tuition. This is likely to be a transitional solution, leading up to a more long-term solution, as described below.

Starting in Fall 09, registration and tuition for 2nd-Bacs may be changed to a "self-support" system in which students pay about $300-$400 per unit for all classes. Please stay tuned for further developments.

shrug. When they describe the fall scenario, I really don't see a difference between that and Open U, what's the point of paying tuition?