{}{}{}***{}{}{}| Official Premed Application Thread for INTERNATIONAL Students |{}{}{}**{}{}{}

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll preface this by saying that I have been an international student for a much longer time than you so I have a pretty decent idea of what you're feeling. My advice would be to get over your preoccupation about it "being mean" if you got a job and then backed out once you got an acceptance. If you don't get in, apply for OPT, find a job, and start working. I suppose I can't really comment about being blacklisted if you did this as I don't really know the industry but it seems unlikely to me. Regardless, if you didn't get into med school, you'd eventually need to go back to your home country so being blacklisted would be a moot point.

Doing an SMP is pointless if your GPA is fine. Doing a PhD or master's is also a bad idea if, like you said, you don't see engineering as anything more than a hobby. I say focus on YOUR security, especially as an international student, since things are so unstable. And be proactive and early with any immigration stuff. I didn't take it seriously enough and in some cases it bit me in the ass.

Thanks! This is some really genuine and helpful advice. Just what I was looking for.

My initial plan was to secure a job early so i could rely on it if i had an unsuccessful cycle. However, when I mentioned it to my academic advisor in engineering he said it was a bad idea. and I so wanted to get a second opinion.

It helps to hear from someone who understands what it's like to be in this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! This is some really genuine and helpful advice. Just what I was looking for.

My initial plan was to secure a job early so i could rely on it if i had an unsuccessful cycle. However, when I mentioned it to my academic advisor in engineering he said it was a bad idea. and I so wanted to get a second opinion.

It helps to hear from someone who understands what it's like to be in this situation.
Why does he think finding a job in case things go south with the application cycle is a bad idea? Because it will blacklist you from the engineering industry? Setting aside how unrealistic that sounds, look at it this way:

If you get hired but then bail out to go to med school, it won't matter if you're blacklisted because you'll be a doctor regardless.
If you get hired but don't get into med school, you can keep going with the job and reapply after you've strengthened whatever deficiencies you had in your application. Either way, being blacklisted does not seem like an important concern.

Also, in regards to this:
However as an international premed I will hear back later in the cycle in terms of interviews and acceptances.
this isn't necessarily the case. Several international students I know received an acceptance/acceptances the earliest possible day for regular decisions: October 15th. So it may be the case that your path may be clear for you earlier. Don't feel discouraged if this isn't the case. I just wanted to make sure you knew that hearing back later for internationals is not a hard and fast rule.

Why does he think finding a job in case things go south with the application cycle is a bad idea? Because it will blacklist you from the engineering industry? Setting aside how unrealistic that sounds, look at it this way:

If you get hired but then bail out to go to med school, it won't matter if you're blacklisted because you'll be a doctor regardless.
If you get hired but don't get into med school, you can keep going with the job and reapply after you've strengthened whatever deficiencies you had in your application. Either way, being blacklisted does not seem like an important concern.

Also, in regards to this:

this isn't necessarily the case. Several international students I know received an acceptance/acceptances the earliest possible day for regular decisions: October 15th. So it may be the case that your path may be clear for you earlier. Don't feel discouraged if this isn't the case. I just wanted to make sure you knew that hearing back later for internationals is not a hard and fast rule.

Good point about the job situation!

And it's great to hear about early acceptances! I know my morale is going to tank as it gets later and later in the cycle without an acceptance. I guess I'm just mentally preparing myself for that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol mine has already tanked as I see people with 3 interviews lined up while I have only been getting promotional emails from the Army

Wish I found this thread way earlier. Following as I am applying next year.

MCAT 517/sGPA 3.86 strong ECs

I applied to 5 DO + 25 MD schools

got my first II from my top choice DO school

Should I take the earliest interview date to try to secure an acceptance ASAP?

or should I take a later interview date so that I can wait to hear from other schools before I'm required to put down a (p hefty) deposit for the DO school?

What are pros and cons of each? Any other things to consider?

Thanks!

MCAT 517/sGPA 3.86 strong ECs

I applied to 5 DO + 25 MD schools

got my first II from my top choice DO school

Should I take the earliest interview date to try to secure an acceptance ASAP?

or should I take a later interview date so that I can wait to hear from other schools before I'm required to put down a (p hefty) deposit for the DO school?

What are pros and cons of each? Any other things to consider?

Thanks!

If it was me, I would put down the $. Secure the A at your top choice DO and then reject other DO interviews if they extend them to you.

Hey, y'all I was wondering if anybody has a good website or any other source that shows what osteopathic schools accept international students?

choosedo lets you filter that.

Hey, y'all I was wondering if anybody has a good website or any other source that shows what osteopathic schools accept international students?

I agree with what @yokiguz said above. However, be sure to email the school and check if the accept intl students. Some schools only accept if you can practice as a DO in your home country. Some might have accepted in the previous cycle but no longer accept intl students. Some have certain financial requirements.

Hi any updates for international applicants this cycle? Which schools have you guys gotten interviews/acceptances at?

Hi any updates for international applicants this cycle? Which schools have you guys gotten interviews/acceptances at?

Applied to 18 schools; 1 interview; 1 acceptance!

16 schools here, 6 IIs and 2 As so far. Extremely grateful and surprised given my LM

Applied to 30: 2 early intervews to acceptances so far

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to 19, no II but 7 pre-II R's... first cycle so I'm prepping for reapplication. Anyone have advice?

To all of you guys applying to over 15 schools, are you all able to afford the 4 years of tuition & fees like most med schools require for internationals (or planning on taking a loan), or are there other schools offering financial aid that I'm not aware of ? From all the research I've done, only about 10 U.S. schools offer us need-based aid, or I missed something?

To all of you guys applying to over 15 schools, are you all able to afford the 4 years of tuition & fees like most med schools require for internationals (or planning on taking a loan), or are there other schools offering financial aid that I'm not aware of ? From all the research I've done, only about 10 U.S. schools offer us need-based aid, or I missed something?

From what I understand, there are very few schools that offer any sort of aid to internationals and a good portion of them require that you pay a full 4-years of tuition into an escrow account upon accepting your seat. Some schools only require you to pre-pay 1 year at a time.

My home country offers really generous stipends and low-interest student loans (less than 1% IR), which is what will help me with a good portion of my costs. But I'm also getting a ton of help from my parents. Without this, it wouldn't be doable for me.

Yes, agree with the above post. Very few schools give financial aid to international students. I've been living with my parents during my PhD and in my program, PhD students get paid a stipend (salary). Also been saving and working as a teaching assistant for 5 years and part-time job for 10 years. I will still be in some debt (so will be getting a line of credit), but saving up before dampens the blow :)

From what I understand, there are very few schools that offer any sort of aid to internationals and a good portion of them require that you pay a full 4-years of tuition into an escrow account upon accepting your seat. Some schools only require you to pre-pay 1 year at a time.

My home country offers really generous stipends and low-interest student loans (less than 1% IR), which is what will help me with a good portion of my costs. But I'm also getting a ton of help from my parents. Without this, it wouldn't be doable for me.

Yes, agree with the above post. Very few schools give financial aid to international students. I've been living with my parents during my PhD and in my program, PhD students get paid a stipend (salary). Also been saving and working as a teaching assistant for 5 years and part-time job for 10 years. I will still be in some debt (so will be getting a line of credit), but saving up before dampens the blow :)
Thank you both for your responses!
I know most schools don't offer us much, or anything at all, that's why I've been focusing on the few ones that do and was wondering if you guys had found out something I wasn't aware of. Good luck to you both :)

Hey did anyone use third-party consultant services for their application? English is not my first language and I am considering getting essay review services but I am not sure if it would be worth it. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Hi,

As an international student , below are my stats. I wanted opinion what are my realistic chances ?

Below are my stats:

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
cGPA: 3.96

sGPA: 3.96
  1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
517 (129/129/128/131)
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
CT residence, India, International
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
ORM (South Asian - Female)
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Public University
BS - Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
BS – Public Health
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
112 hours - Collegiate EMS
110 hours - Volunteer EMT at Ambulance Service
128 hours - ER tech at a large hospital system (gap year activity with 128 hours/month thereafter)
  1. Research experience and productivity
900 hours - Research Assistant in Neuroscience Lab: 3 ½ years , Project focus is on the effects of alcohol drinking on the brain in a rodent model. 2 middle-author conference abstracts, 1 middle-author publication, senior thesis

430 hours - SRF Summer Scholar (Snyder Lab): Project used organoid model to investigate SARS-CoV-2 viral entry in central nervous system, MD PhD PI

320 hours - Research in Health Promotion & Policy: 320 hours by application submission, (gap year activity -160 hours/month thereafter) Projects addressing substance use treatment in the criminal-justice involved population
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
200 hours- Volunteered as an intern with an Addiction Recovery and Treatment Program in a District Court: LOR from Presiding Justice of the Court, 1st author poster presentation at university-level public health conference

36 hours-Volunteer at Community Center

80 hours-Volunteer at Human-Trafficking Non-profit Cafe

80 hours-Volunteer Tutor/Teacher for new refugees students from Africa
  1. Gap Year
ER Technician at a large hospital system, gap year employment

Research Fellow at a Public university - Research in Health Promotion & Policy: 320 hours by application submission, 160 hours/month thereafter, Working on projects addressing substance use treatment in the criminal-justice involved population, gap year employment
  1. Other extracurricular activities
Teaching: TA for Organic Chemistry 1 for 2 semesters
Leadership: Field Supervisor for new members in Collegiate EMS Agency
Op/Ed Column Writer for Collegiate Newspaper
Student Employee at Residence Office
Public Health Promotion Staff for University during COVID-19
  1. Relevant honors or awards
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
CHC Honors Research Assistant Fellowship

Hey did anyone use third-party consultant services for their application? English is not my first language and I am considering getting essay review services but I am not sure if it would be worth it. Any recommendations? Thank you!
It might be too late to reply but I'd say no. Finding close mentors who know you and will advocate for you to review your essays.
Hi,

As an international student , below are my stats. I wanted opinion what are my realistic chances ?

Below are my stats:

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
cGPA: 3.96

sGPA: 3.96
  1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
517 (129/129/128/131)
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
CT residence, India, International
  1. Ethnicity and/or race
ORM (South Asian - Female)
  1. Undergraduate institution or category
Public University
BS - Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
BS – Public Health
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
112 hours - Collegiate EMS
110 hours - Volunteer EMT at Ambulance Service
128 hours - ER tech at a large hospital system (gap year activity with 128 hours/month thereafter)
  1. Research experience and productivity
900 hours - Research Assistant in Neuroscience Lab: 3 ½ years , Project focus is on the effects of alcohol drinking on the brain in a rodent model. 2 middle-author conference abstracts, 1 middle-author publication, senior thesis

430 hours - SRF Summer Scholar (Snyder Lab): Project used organoid model to investigate SARS-CoV-2 viral entry in central nervous system, MD PhD PI

320 hours - Research in Health Promotion & Policy: 320 hours by application submission, (gap year activity -160 hours/month thereafter) Projects addressing substance use treatment in the criminal-justice involved population
  1. Non-clinical volunteering
200 hours- Volunteered as an intern with an Addiction Recovery and Treatment Program in a District Court: LOR from Presiding Justice of the Court, 1st author poster presentation at university-level public health conference

36 hours-Volunteer at Community Center

80 hours-Volunteer at Human-Trafficking Non-profit Cafe

80 hours-Volunteer Tutor/Teacher for new refugees students from Africa
  1. Gap Year
ER Technician at a large hospital system, gap year employment

Research Fellow at a Public university - Research in Health Promotion & Policy: 320 hours by application submission, 160 hours/month thereafter, Working on projects addressing substance use treatment in the criminal-justice involved population, gap year employment
  1. Other extracurricular activities
Teaching: TA for Organic Chemistry 1 for 2 semesters
Leadership: Field Supervisor for new members in Collegiate EMS Agency
Op/Ed Column Writer for Collegiate Newspaper
Student Employee at Residence Office
Public Health Promotion Staff for University during COVID-19
  1. Relevant honors or awards
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
CHC Honors Research Assistant Fellowship
I feel like you have a good chance! also your residency might count you as green card holder? if so you will likely not be considered as international

It might be too late to reply but I'd say no. Finding close mentors who know you and will advocate for you to review your essays.

I feel like you have a good chance! also your residency might count you as green card holder? if so you will likely not be considered as international
Thank you ,I feel encouraged. Please can you elaborate on " residency might count you as green card holder" as I have no clue on this. ?

Thanks again.

Thank you ,I feel encouraged. Please can you elaborate on " residency might count you as green card holder" as I have no clue on this. ?

Thanks again.
No problem! You mentioned in your original post that you are a resident in CT. I am not exactly sure what that means haha. Do you have an official residency (AKA you can vote in that state) or do you just live there for college? That will also determine whether you will be considered as instate or not for CT. If you have green card, that means you will likely be evaluated as American citizen.

No problem! You mentioned in your original post that you are a resident in CT. I am not exactly sure what that means haha. Do you have an official residency (AKA you can vote in that state) or do you just live there for college? That will also determine whether you will be considered as instate or not for CT. If you have green card, that means you will likely be evaluated as American citizen.
I am daughter of immigrant parents who came to US in H1b visa and are in green card visa queue . I aged out of my parents application and had to convert to international student . So CT resident , in terms of high school, physical address, license and income taxes . That's the cause of my anxiety, how my application will be treated , I have applied to schools that accept international students

Reactions: 1 user
I am daughter of immigrant parents who came to US in H1b visa and are in green card visa queue . I aged out of my parents application and had to convert to international student . So CT resident , in terms of high school, physical address, license and income taxes . That's the cause of my anxiety, how my application will be treated , I have applied to schools that accept international students
got it... well I am definitely not an expert on immigration stuff so do take my words with a grain of salt, but I've heard people going through application with pending green card as permanent residents. Otherwise it's always better to reach out to schools of your interest directly (such as instate schools) and specifically ask about their opinions.

Reactions: 1 users
got it... well I am definitely not an expert on immigration stuff so do take my words with a grain of salt, but I've heard people going through application with pending green card as permanent residents.
An applicant can have a pending green card for a decade (or more). They should always indicate their current immigration status on the application.

Reactions: 1 users
prob no easy answer but when do internationals generally start hearing back from schools// what does the timeline look for internationals? Any updates so far for this cycle? someone calm my anxiety please

prob no easy answer but when do internationals generally start hearing back from schools// what does the timeline look for internationals? Any updates so far for this cycle? someone calm my anxiety please
Hang on there--exact situation waiting for both IIs and Rs. Inbox is still as deadsea....

• Sad
I am an international student (Canadian) at a University of Texas school and will be getting my green card (hopefully) in the next 1-2 years. Would I still be considered an international student by medical schools?

I am an international student (Canadian) at a University of Texas school and will be getting my green card (hopefully) in the next 1-2 years. Would I still be considered an international student by medical schools?
Yes, until you have permanent resident status, you will be considered an international applicant.

Ok, thank you for letting me know.
Some schools treat Canadian as separate than int'l applicants though.

Also word of caution: last year's MSAR had a few inaccuracies on which schools took int'ls and which didn't.

For previous applicants, approximately when did you get IIs / any response back from schools? What does the international student timeline look like? Thanks!!

For previous applicants, approximately when did you get IIs / any response back from schools? What does the international student timeline look like? Thanks!!
I think the timeline looks the same as it does for non-international students.

I got my first II sometime in early August, last II in Dec. First A Oct 15 and last A in March.