{}{}{}***{}{}{}| Official Premed Application Thread for INTERNATIONAL Students |{}{}{}**{}{}{}

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no II yet and feeling like it's probably not going to happen....reapplicant this year, had one II last year (WashU) where I was waitlisted and eventually rejected.

non-canadian int'l, went to undergrad in the US, have what i thought were great stats so this is a real bummer.

Members don't see this ad :)
no II yet and feeling like it's probably not going to happen....reapplicant this year, had one II last year (WashU) where I was waitlisted and eventually rejected.

non-canadian int'l, went to undergrad in the US, have what i thought were great stats so this is a real bummer.

Heard from someone that intls get evaluated last so don't lose hope!

Heard from someone that intls get evaluated last so don't lose hope!
Not sure if this is true. I am international, LM 75.5. Tons of extracurriculars, publications, doctor shadowing... Submitted secondaries early and mid Aug. Rejected pre-interview by one school mid- October.

Not sure if this is true. I am international, LM 75.5. Tons of extracurriculars, publications, doctor shadowing... Submitted secondaries early and mid Aug. Rejected pre-interview by one school mid- October.
That actually sucks but also still don't lose hope?
(I'm wondering if they rejected you just cause of intl status)

Reactions: 1 user

yeah i've got 3 rejections so far as well, submitted same time as you. first two Rs actually came mid-September which was shocking

That actually sucks but also still don't lose hope?
(I'm wondering if they rejected you just cause of intl status)
It is a low tier school. Students they accepted have pretty low stats. They claim they accept intl. But they still rejected me!

yeah i've got 3 rejections so far as well, submitted same time as you. first two Rs actually came mid-September which was shocking
As internationals, every school is a reach. No safe school no matter how good your stats is.

As internationals, every school is a reach. No safe school no matter how good your stats is.

yeah it's real rough, but definitely what i learned applying last year and walking away with rejections from everywhere!
i remember talking to my pre-med advisor on campus about wanting to apply, and she straight up said i shouldn't bother because international students have such a hard time, which wasn't the most encouraging thing to hear hahah

Non Canadian international here. 507 MCAT, 3.76 gpa. I got a pretty nice merit based scholarship from MSUCOM this cycle and will be paying less than $50000 in tuition. They also have some agreement with the Canadian government where all Canadian students get scholarships. As a state school, it has a STRONG in state bias but it’s definitely worth a shot if you have financial limitations and can’t get loss applying to the private Ivy League schools

I am curious what percent of international students that apply have their prereqs from accredited US institutions? Does anyone know?

Also, has anyone heard back from schools? :) I'm applying this coming cycle, non-Canadian non-trad intl student here. Undergrad + postbac at a US school.

I am curious what percent of international students that apply have their prereqs from accredited US institutions? Does anyone know?

Also, has anyone heard back from schools? :) I'm applying this coming cycle, non-Canadian non-trad intl student here. Undergrad + postbac at a US school.

I believe that it is a requirement for people to finish their prereqs from accredited US institutions in order to apply to US med school. Therefore 100%? There might be a few exceptions, for example, Hopkins allows people who receive degrees from the UK to apply, but it seems that the prereqs still need to be done in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

just wanted to bump this thread for other international students who are applying in the future and would like some guidance. I am a non-Canadian international who had success with the 2019-2020 cycle and advice from other internationals and people on SDN was a huge help for me so just thought I'd pass it along. Feel free to send me a message if y'all have any questions! :D

^inspired by this friend above me
Similarly I am a non-Canadian international applicant for 2019-2020 cycle and will try my best to answer questions.
Feel free to DM or post questions here.

Reactions: 3 users
Omg thank you guys <3 I am applying this cycle and with the MCAT and everything i am going CRAZYYY

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't get any interviews anywhere :( I am trying to rewrite my PS and reapply this coming cycle to both MD and DO. I feel like I am going to get rejected again. anyone else reapplying with little hope?

I didn't get any interviews anywhere :( I am trying to rewrite my PS and reapply this coming cycle to both MD and DO. I feel like I am going to get rejected again. anyone else reapplying with little hope?
Don't beat yourself up about it! I'm actually a reapplicant and the first time I applied, I only had 1 II. It was really tough to go through that whole process but know it doesn't mean you're not going to get in the next time! The second time I applied, I received multiple IIs and acceptances. Totally different outcome than the first time! Don't be discouraged BUT make sure to take a step back and really analyze how you can improve your app. If you are applying again with only slight improvements from your first cycle, don't expect much change. Before I reapplied, I took a year off just to improve my app and I think this was key in my success. I am sure it also reflected well to committees that I was willing to delay gratification by making that sacrifice and taking the time off, showing I wasn't impatient and taking this path seriously. I'm not seeing you necessarily need to take a year off but don't feel obligated to apply again right away just because you want to become a doctor ASAP!

Omg thank you guys <3 I am applying this cycle and with the MCAT and everything i am going CRAZYYY
Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Don't beat yourself up about it! I'm actually a reapplicant and the first time I applied, I only had 1 II. It was really tough to go through that whole process but know it doesn't mean you're not going to get in the next time! The second time I applied, I received multiple IIs and acceptances. Totally different outcome than the first time! Don't be discouraged BUT make sure to take a step back and really analyze how you can improve your app. If you are applying again with only slight improvements from your first cycle, don't expect much change. Before I reapplied, I took a year off just to improve my app and I think this was key in my success. I am sure it also reflected well to committees that I was willing to delay gratification by making that sacrifice and taking the time off, showing I wasn't impatient and taking this path seriously. I'm not seeing you necessarily need to take a year off but don't feel obligated to apply again right away just because you want to become a doctor ASAP!

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!

Congrats on your acceptance! How did you boost your application in that one year that led to numerous interviews and ultimately an acceptance?

Don't beat yourself up about it!
Thank you! and congrats on your acceptance! This year was my gap year and I did research (which I didn't have before) mostly and continued some volunteering. Last cycle I submitted my primary mid July which was late. Hopefully this cycle ends well

Hey everyone,

just wanted to bump this thread for other international students who are applying in the future and would like some guidance. I am a non-Canadian international who had success with the 2019-2020 cycle and advice from other internationals and people on SDN was a huge help for me so just thought I'd pass it along. Feel free to send me a message if y'all have any questions! :D
How are you going to finance med school?

Hey everyone,

Hi I can't seem to DM you, I was wondering if you can DM you because I am also non-Canadian international and would love some help for school selection this cycle. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Ah i appreciate that so much! I have a bunch of questions I would love to ask. I tried to DM you but it says your profile is restricted?

Ah i appreciate that so much! I have a bunch of questions I would love to ask. I tried to DM you but it says your profile is restricted?
That's weird, some people seem to DM me fine, others say it is restricted. Anyways, I'll send you a message

Hey guys, I had a question about taking a gap year as an international student. I'm not familiar with the F-1 rules cause my situation as an international is a little unique (studying here until a different visa, going to have to convert to F-1 after I turn 21). I know our only options to stay in the country are to continue studying or go for OPT and obtain employment. But, my question is does our employment directly have to relate to our major or can it be our field of study. For example, if I wanted to get a job as an ER tech and I'm a BME major, is this possible or would my application get rejected? Would my best bet be for OPT getting a job as a research assistant?

Hey guys, I had a question about taking a gap year as an international student. I'm not familiar with the F-1 rules cause my situation as an international is a little unique (studying here until a different visa, going to have to convert to F-1 after I turn 21). I know our only options to stay in the country are to continue studying or go for OPT and obtain employment. But, my question is does our employment directly have to relate to our major or can it be our field of study. For example, if I wanted to get a job as an ER tech and I'm a BME major, is this possible or would my application get rejected? Would my best bet be for OPT getting a job as a research assistant?

to answer your question, yes, your employment should be related to your major if you wish to use your OPT. you don't need to hold an upcoming employment in order to apply for OPT. in fact, you will want to start applying for OPT as early as possible (=90 days before the end your program) so you can receive your work permit as soon as you graduate. it is a long process that takes forever. for my year some people wait for 100+ days to get approved so they had to delay their employment. it is only after you get your permit will you be able to start work and be required report your employment situation. whether your employment is within your field of study, i think the best is to talk to your advisor from the international student office. i would say research assistant is definitely a safe choice, it doesn't hurt you by having something like that in your hand as a backup.

So, you definitely want to schedule an appt with your international student advisor to discuss your options because you want to get it right the first time. And start early because the app process for OPT is LONG. They do not move fast, I warn you.

From my experience with OPT, it does have to be relevant to your major/degree because OPT is practical training as an extension of whatever program you attended. There is OPT while you are studying and after you are studying. If you want to do an OPT post-completion you apply as early as possible (I think the earliest you can apply is 6 months before your start date) and you can apply with or without a job secured. That means you can imply with the intent to obtain employment but you have to disclose your job once you start and you will file a tax return as well the following year regardless of whether you were paid or not.

Talk to your advisor though because this really has to do with the legal, tax and immigration structure of the US and can vary greatly depending on a unique situation :) Also, if I remember corectly your OPT is only valid for 12 months after you finish your program, regardless of when you actually get approved to start employment so get the app in as early as you can!

Hey everyone!

Coming late to this but someone told me about this about page and I'm happy to help any internationals applying this cycle and future cycles!

I am a current first-year medical student at Harvard Medical School. I started in the Fall of 2019 and currently doing healthcare management research alongside "zoom school of medicine" :D

I am on financial aid because med school is expensive! Long term goals are to work in health system strengthening and become an infectious disease doctor.

Here is my background/stats:

- International applicant from Africa. Low-income and first-gen student. Applied as an F-1 applicant.
- Undergrad at a top 10 college in the North East. Not the best GPA but had an upward trend towards the end of my college experience
- Also got a Masters in Public Health from the same institution I did my undergrad at. Great GPA in my Masters degree.
- Did tonnes of research in college on parasitic infections and accumulated 4 publications
- During my summers worked at the WHO and did some consulting for a global firm in rural parts of Africa
- ECs: Student council, sang in a choir and worked as a student tech fixing computers
- Shadowing: Mostly in my home country and abroad. Very little shadowing of US doctors.
- Volunteer: Taught sex ed in college

Feel free to DM with questions about financial aid, taking a gap year, doing a master's before med school, and anything in general about applying as an international student!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!

Coming late to this but someone told me about this about page and I'm happy to help any internationals applying this cycle and future cycles!

I am a current first-year medical student at Harvard Medical School. I started in the Fall of 2019 and currently doing healthcare management research alongside "zoom school of medicine" :D

I am on financial aid because med school is expensive! Long term goals are to work in health system strengthening and become an infectious disease doctor.

- International applicant from Africa. Low-income and first-gen student. Applied as an F-1 applicant.
- Undergrad at a top 10 college in the North East. Not the best GPA but had an upward trend towards the end of my college experience
- Also got a Masters in Public Health from the same institution I did my undergrad at. Great GPA in my Masters degree.
- Did tonnes of research in college on parasitic infections and accumulated 4 publications
- During my summers worked at the WHO and did some consulting for a global firm in rural parts of Africa
- ECs: Student council, sang in a choir and worked as a student tech fixing computers
- Shadowing: Mostly in my home country and abroad. Very little shadowing of US doctors.

Feel free to DM with questions about financial aid, taking a gap year, doing a master's before med school, and anything in general about applying as an international student!
Can you sneak in the adcom office and put us in the accepted pile /s

Hey everyone!

Hello fellow internationals,

I can attest to the fact that establishing mentors that have gone through the process is useful because of the great advice and insight I can provide. SDN for sure is a useful resource for international pre meds, but we are low in number, and it’s hard to know who you’re really talking to as this is an anonymous forum. I’ve talked to many mentors and feel more confident, and am now able to plan ahead after speaking to them about their experiences. I’m refraining from posting the actual resource here as well as the name of F-1 International Doctor as it may be against SDN policy. Thanks for reading, and good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow internationals,

I can attest to the fact that establishing mentors that have gone through the process is useful because of the great advice and insight I can provide. SDN for sure is a useful resource for international pre meds, but we are low in number, and it’s hard to know who you’re really talking to as this is an anonymous forum. For more personalized mentorship, be sure to check out F-1 International Doctor’s profile pic and the website in that pic. Best of all, it’s free and it’s full of internationals that are only looking to help and provide guidance. I’ve talked to many mentors and feel more confident, and am now able to plan ahead after speaking to them about their experiences. I’m refraining from posting the actual resource here as well as the name of F-1 International Doctor as it may be against SDN policy. Thanks for reading, and good luck everyone!

Willing to help anyone else that needs to navigate this complex process as an international applicant!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am confused about our legal residency. We should pick that we are not a resident of the US on amcas right? My completed app says that I am not a legal US resident, does yours say the same? can someone check their app on the first page?

Mine under biographic information, first column second row says
Legal USA Resident: No

Have any of you written a challenge/adversity essay about being an international student? I asked for advice in another thread, but wasn’t sure how the not getting aid thing would be perceived by med schools. Should I avoid that part all together?

I want to mainly talk about how my status over 13 years of living the US has been a barrier for certain opportunities, and how I’ve adapted to the circumstances and such. I’d appreciate any of your advice!

Last edited:
Have any of you written a challenge/adversity essay about being an international student? I asked for advice in another thread, but wasn’t sure how the not getting aid thing would be perceived by med schools. Should I avoid that part all together?

I want to mainly talk about how my status over 13 years of living the US has been a barrier for certain opportunities, and how I’ve adapted to the circumstances and such. I’d appreciate any of your advice!
I wrote about a very similar thing (the latter, not the former) and it worked well for me. Focus on the character building lessons you learned from living as a foreigner in a country for so long.

I came across this post, and I just wanted to get some advice in regard to the MD/DO process for international students. I came to the US 4 years ago and just graduated with a BS in Neuroscience (4.0/4.0), honors, summa cum laude, phi beta kappa, and highest departmental award and distinction. I also have hundreds of hours in research, volunteering, and shadowing along with a poster presentation for my capstone. I’m a reapplicant from last cycle, since I didn’t have the best of luck because of 2 low mcat scores. I’m taking the mcat again in a few weeks, and I have been studying for so long and scoring steadily in the 70-80th percentile. I was just wondering what you think my chances would be, and whether I should focus my efforts on DO or MD. To be honest, I’m interested in OMS too just because I’ve shadowed a DO physician and developed passion for primary care and community work (evident from my ECs). Also, for the DO app, should I indicate that I’m at a disadvantage for language purposes? My language skills have always been great, but I do feel as though I had to work extra hard to be on par with my fellow classmates and generally people who are taking the MCAT. I’m just worried because I just got approved for OPT, but I just want to start my career already and be able to go back home to see my family. (Something that I can’t exactly do right now since my visa has expired but I’m legally able to stay and work here. Until I get an acceptance that I could use to apply for a new visa, I plan to stay in the US.) Do you think I should bother applying to 1-2 Canadian schools as well? I really appreciate any insight or advice as I get the feeling that many people on here were faced with similar predicaments, and hopefully it worked out for some. Thank you.

I came across this post, and I just wanted to get some advice in regard to the MD/DO process for international students. I came to the US 4 years ago and just graduated with a BS in Neuroscience (4.0/4.0), honors, summa cum laude, phi beta kappa, and highest departmental award and distinction. I also have hundreds of hours in research, volunteering, and shadowing along with a poster presentation for my capstone. I’m a reapplicant from last cycle, since I didn’t have the best of luck because of 2 low mcat scores. I’m taking the mcat again in a few weeks, and I have been studying for so long and scoring steadily in the 70-80th percentile. I was just wondering what you think my chances would be, and whether I should focus my efforts on DO or MD. To be honest, I’m interested in OMS too just because I’ve shadowed a DO physician and developed passion for primary care and community work (evident from my ECs). Also, for the DO app, should I indicate that I’m at a disadvantage for language purposes? My language skills have always been great, but I do feel as though I had to work extra hard to be on par with my fellow classmates and generally people who are taking the MCAT. I’m just worried because I just got approved for OPT, but I just want to start my career already and be able to go back home to see my family. (Something that I can’t exactly do right now since my visa has expired but I’m legally able to stay and work here. Until I get an acceptance that I could use to apply for a new visa, I plan to stay in the US.) Do you think I should bother applying to 1-2 Canadian schools as well? I really appreciate any insight or advice as I get the feeling that many people on here were faced with similar predicaments, and hopefully it worked out for some. Thank you.
I cannot recommend Canadian schools in your situation if you are not Canadian.

Hey, I think Canadian schools really do not accept any internationals at all (maybe like a handful), and it's even tougher to get in given that you have not gone to school in Canada. Thus, overall, it would be tougher to get into a Canadian school than a US MD school. I think second cycle, you should shoot your shot with the DO schools that take internationals and MD schools. Apply broadly to both. But be careful with DO schools, some internationals reported having trouble matching into residency? That is something I heard when speaking to a DO international student. I received the same feedback from an admissions counselor as well. It may be something worth looking into.

Hey, I think Canadian schools really do not accept any internationals at all (maybe like a handful), and it's even tougher to get in given that you have not gone to school in Canada. Thus, overall, it would be tougher to get into a Canadian school than a US MD school. I think second cycle, you should shoot your shot with the DO schools that take internationals and MD schools. Apply broadly to both. But be careful with DO schools, some internationals reported having trouble matching into residency? That is something I heard when speaking to a DO international student. I received the same feedback from an admissions counselor as well. It may be something worth looking into.
Thank you for your feedback. I’ll stick with US schools since my degree is from the states. It sounds like you might have some good contacts that it could really help me structure my application to increase my chances. Do you think you could connect me with your friend who’s an international in a DO school? I would really appreciate all and any help at this point. Also, do you personally think I stand a chance with my credentials if I make the high mcat score? I’m planning on refining all the writing in terms of PS and secondaries, along with applying broadly like you said. Thank you so much!

Thank you for your feedback. I’ll stick with US schools since my degree is from the states. It sounds like you might have some good contacts that it could really help me structure my application to increase my chances. Do you think you could connect me with your friend who’s an international in a DO school? I would really appreciate all and any help at this point. Also, do you personally think I stand a chance with my credentials if I make the high mcat score? I’m planning on refining all the writing in terms of PS and secondaries, along with applying broadly like you said. Thank you so much!

PM me, happy to help

You should apply to the University of toronto with a 4.0. Your mcat only need to be greater than 500 and they take several intl a year. Don't bother with any other canadian schools!

Need advice!

Here's some background:

I am an ORM international undergrad student in my senior year of engineering at a good uni. Even tho I’m technically considered international because of my visa, I have been living in the US for almost a decade and went to HS here.

This is my first cycle, I’m a traditional applicant. I have applied to ~30 schools (most are MD and like 5 schools are DO). I have applied to practically every school that says they accept international students and actually accepted international students in previous years.

I will not go into detailed stats (MCAT+GPA)but I have a p fair shot at most of these schools. I am in the 25th percentile or higher range for all schools. 50th for like half the schools. And 75th+ for a handful. I have all the “required” ECs. ~300 hours of research with an upcoming publication (which only helps for schools that take updates). 1000+ clinical (EMT) and health related volunteer hours. 200+ non clinical hours. A public health internship in the country of my citizenship and birth (p unique and lots of cool reflection in my apps). Worked as a TA. Have civic/social justice EC. Got placed in a prestigious research internship at national lab which was later rescinded due to covid ( I put it on my app and indicated it was rescinded due to covid). Leadership position as underclass rep, VP, and prez of an engineering honors society on campus. ~150 shadowing hours in a breadth of specialties. Lots of content to reflect on. That’s just a summary of my app for reference

my family (immediate and extended) lives in the US. And if I had to go back to the country of my citizenship if I didn’t get accepted, then I’d basically start my life from scratch and have to learn how to function as an adult in a country I haven’t lived in during the past decade. This is very anxiety-inducing to think about since I’d be living alone without family and friends. I’d be super isolated. I’d have to figure out stuff on my own and make new friends. Idek what job I’d get.

I did engineering because I grew up in an engineering household and I loved it. I realized in HS tho that I was better suited for and more interested in medicine. But I still did engineering anyway as a back up alongside premed.

But now I’m realizing maybe it wasn’t as good of a back up as I thought?

If I apply to engr jobs, I’ll def have a full time post grad job by December. However as an international premed I will hear back later in the cycle in terms of interviews and acceptances. And it’s a BIG NO NO to accept a job offer and then back out cause I got into medical school. It’s like applying ED/sending a letter saying you’ll go to a medical school if you get accepted and then saying, psych I lied.

I could apply in the spring but by then most positions are filled. And they might not hire international students. Also it might be too late in May/June to secure visa sponsorship and I might have to go back to the motherland anyway. But still worth a shot? Not a great back up tho

Now that I’m done with secondaries, I’m considering taking the GRE to apply for master’s/PhD. Tho I’ve realized engr is a hobby/interest (that gave me an easy degree) and not a passion. I’ll enjoy learning during my masters/PhD but hate having to actually work in industry. And I really haven’t thought about academia/professorship. Is it worth applying and possibly going to grad school if I’m not even sure that’s the right thing for me?

I have considered SMPs. Tho tbh my application seems p well rounded rn. Idk what else I could do to make it more complete in terms of ECs. And I don’t see my MCAT getting any better if I retook. I guess my gpa would be slightly better? I really don’t wanna waste money on 2 years of school without scholarship. And tbh my mentality is that I gave medicine a fair shot (did everything I could) and if I don’t get in this cycle, it’s not for me. Esp since my situation isn’t conducive to taking time off to figure things out due to citizenship and financial reasons.

So far, I have focused all my time and energy into doing my best for Plan A, which is medical school. But now that Ive done everything I could and have free time, I’m looking at options for plan B. What do you think I should do to prepare for Plan B?

Summary of options:

1. apply to jobs in the fall and (potentially) be the dingus that backs out of their offer, thereby burning bridges forever and potentially being on a hit list.
  2. apply to jobs in the spring and hope that some merciful company sponsors you in time to stay here with your family.
  3. apply to a masters to feel it out?
  4. go all in and apply to a PhD? And then just suck it up and stick with it
  5. waste your time and money by applying to an SMP. Try applying to medical school again. And if you don’t get in the second time, you done ****ed up
  6. don’t do anything cause you’ll prob get in/just cross that bridge when you get there
  7. I’m just here for the tea
Lmk what you think! Thanks for all the support and advice!

Need advice!

Here's some background:

I am an ORM international undergrad student in my senior year of engineering at a good uni. Even tho I’m technically considered international because of my visa, I have been living in the US for almost a decade and went to HS here.

This is my first cycle, I’m a traditional applicant. I have applied to ~30 schools (most are MD and like 5 schools are DO). I have applied to practically every school that says they accept international students and actually accepted international students in previous years.

I will not go into detailed stats (MCAT+GPA)but I have a p fair shot at most of these schools. I am in the 25th percentile or higher range for all schools. 50th for like half the schools. And 75th+ for a handful. I have all the “required” ECs. ~300 hours of research with an upcoming publication (which only helps for schools that take updates). 1000+ clinical (EMT) and health related volunteer hours. 200+ non clinical hours. A public health internship in the country of my citizenship and birth (p unique and lots of cool reflection in my apps). Worked as a TA. Have civic/social justice EC. Got placed in a prestigious research internship at national lab which was later rescinded due to covid ( I put it on my app and indicated it was rescinded due to covid). Leadership position as underclass rep, VP, and prez of an engineering honors society on campus. ~150 shadowing hours in a breadth of specialties. Lots of content to reflect on. That’s just a summary of my app for reference

my family (immediate and extended) lives in the US. And if I had to go back to the country of my citizenship if I didn’t get accepted, then I’d basically start my life from scratch and have to learn how to function as an adult in a country I haven’t lived in during the past decade. This is very anxiety-inducing to think about since I’d be living alone without family and friends. I’d be super isolated. I’d have to figure out stuff on my own and make new friends. Idek what job I’d get.

I did engineering because I grew up in an engineering household and I loved it. I realized in HS tho that I was better suited for and more interested in medicine. But I still did engineering anyway as a back up alongside premed.

But now I’m realizing maybe it wasn’t as good of a back up as I thought?

If I apply to engr jobs, I’ll def have a full time post grad job by December. However as an international premed I will hear back later in the cycle in terms of interviews and acceptances. And it’s a BIG NO NO to accept a job offer and then back out cause I got into medical school. It’s like applying ED/sending a letter saying you’ll go to a medical school if you get accepted and then saying, psych I lied.

I could apply in the spring but by then most positions are filled. And they might not hire international students. Also it might be too late in May/June to secure visa sponsorship and I might have to go back to the motherland anyway. But still worth a shot? Not a great back up tho

Now that I’m done with secondaries, I’m considering taking the GRE to apply for master’s/PhD. Tho I’ve realized engr is a hobby/interest (that gave me an easy degree) and not a passion. I’ll enjoy learning during my masters/PhD but hate having to actually work in industry. And I really haven’t thought about academia/professorship. Is it worth applying and possibly going to grad school if I’m not even sure that’s the right thing for me?

I have considered SMPs. Tho tbh my application seems p well rounded rn. Idk what else I could do to make it more complete in terms of ECs. And I don’t see my MCAT getting any better if I retook. I guess my gpa would be slightly better? I really don’t wanna waste money on 2 years of school without scholarship. And tbh my mentality is that I gave medicine a fair shot (did everything I could) and if I don’t get in this cycle, it’s not for me. Esp since my situation isn’t conducive to taking time off to figure things out due to citizenship and financial reasons.

So far, I have focused all my time and energy into doing my best for Plan A, which is medical school. But now that Ive done everything I could and have free time, I’m looking at options for plan B. What do you think I should do to prepare for Plan B?

Summary of options:

1. apply to jobs in the fall and (potentially) be the dingus that backs out of their offer, thereby burning bridges forever and potentially being on a hit list.
  2. apply to jobs in the spring and hope that some merciful company sponsors you in time to stay here with your family.
  3. apply to a masters to feel it out?
  4. go all in and apply to a PhD? And then just suck it up and stick with it
  5. waste your time and money by applying to an SMP. Try applying to medical school again. And if you don’t get in the second time, you done ****ed up
  6. don’t do anything cause you’ll prob get in/just cross that bridge when you get there
  7. I’m just here for the tea
Lmk what you think! Thanks for all the support and advice!
I'll preface this by saying that I have been an international student for a much longer time than you so I have a pretty decent idea of what you're feeling. My advice would be to get over your preoccupation about it "being mean" if you got a job and then backed out once you got an acceptance. If you don't get in, apply for OPT, find a job, and start working. I suppose I can't really comment about being blacklisted if you did this as I don't really know the industry but it seems unlikely to me. Regardless, if you didn't get into med school, you'd eventually need to go back to your home country so being blacklisted would be a moot point.

Doing an SMP is pointless if your GPA is fine. Doing a PhD or master's is also a bad idea if, like you said, you don't see engineering as anything more than a hobby. I say focus on YOUR security, especially as an international student, since things are so unstable. And be proactive and early with any immigration stuff. I didn't take it seriously enough and in some cases it bit me in the ass.

Reactions: 2 users