**Official Pacific Class of 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got the call regarding Presidio housing.A 4 bedroom /2 bath for 627$ including all utilities (except phone and cable); works for me:) Although it's a little far from school, I'm still happy with it.Hopefully I get used to using the bus pretty soon.

Hey Sinner,
I just got a call about getting Presidio too!
It's weird because I thought that since my financial aid pkg said offcampus housing, it meant I for sure did not get housing. Anyway, I am not sure if I am getting it yet. I want to go check out the place before I make my final decision. I am not sure how I feel about being non-walking distance away from school... Need to figure it out soon. I think I'd rather live closer... don't know :eek:

4 bedroom/2 bath - are you a girl? Maybe you are my roommate?
My rent would be $842 - they mentioned I had the biggest room or something... didn't know it included utilities

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, so here's some data I gathered (Which I cross-posted on Facebook):

I analyzed the difference in total interest paid of each loan with benefits vs. the same loan with no benefits, and used those data to give me a % benefit of each loan over standard. Each loan was analyzed assuming a 25 year payback and minimum payments each month. So basically, the higher the percentage, the better the lender is.

Here's the data:

*All Student*
Staffords:
Sub. - 15.35%
Unsub. - 15.35%
Grad+ - 8.61%

*CDA*
Staffords:
Sub - 20.65%
Unsub. - 20.65%
Grad+ - 9.06%

*Leverage*
Staffords:
Sub. - 5.38%
Unsub. - 10.3%
Grad+ - 12.3%

*T.H.E.*

Staffords:
Sub. - 10.26%
Unsub. - 10.26%
Grad+ - 10.00%

The average % benefit for each loan over standard is:
Staffords:
Sub. - 12.9%
Unsub. - 14.15%
Grad+ - 10.0%

So the out and out best loans by my analysis are CDA for the Staffords, and Leverage for the Grad+.

It should be noted though, that the CDA loans appear so advantageous because my calculation assumes a 25 year payback, and the advantage of their rate reductions (1% after 33 payments and 1% after 44 payments) would be much less impressive under a faster payback.

Hey Sinner,
I just got a call about getting Presidio too!
It's weird because I thought that since my financial aid pkg said offcampus housing, it meant I for sure did not get housing. Anyway, I am not sure if I am getting it yet. I want to go check out the place before I make my final decision. I am not sure how I feel about being non-walking distance away from school... Need to figure it out soon. I think I'd rather live closer... don't know :eek:

4 bedroom/2 bath - are you a girl? Maybe you are my roommate?
My rent would be $842 - they mentioned I had the biggest room or something... didn't know it included utilities
I am a little bit concerned about not being that close to the school too;but I think I'm gonna go with it.So,yep;we might be roomies:) So, do you know any others who live or has lived there?I wish I could talk to some students living there and get their opinions.Unfortunately I can not go up there and see for myself because of my job.Please keep us updated if you get a chance to go and see the place or anything like that.
BTW I have not got my financial aid package yet!!How long after sending your tax return forms did you guys received the package? What is the next step after getting it?Do we need to make any decisions regarding loans and stuff?My questions sound weird I guess!Sorry,I do not have any experience with those kinda stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I talked to Marco Castellanos, the Director of FinAid yesterday, and he said once we get the pperwork we fill out the two forms which basically say we accept the financial aid package and would like to have "x" lenders.

The school then sends the lenders our credit information and sorts everything out from there, letting us know what out rates are/if we need cosigners, etc...

I am a little bit concerned about not being that close to the school too;but I think I'm gonna go with it.So,yep;we might be roomies:) So, do you know any others who live or has lived there?I wish I could talk to some students living there and get their opinions.Unfortunately I can not go up there and see for myself because of my job.Please keep us updated if you get a chance to go and see the place or anything like that.
BTW I have not got my financial aid package yet!!How long after sending your tax return forms did you guys received the package? What is the next step after getting it?Do we need to make any decisions regarding loans and stuff?My questions sound weird I guess!Sorry,I do not have any experience with those kinda stuff.

I have 2 friends that live at the Presidio Housing and they really like it. So much so that they insisted I come out and check it out when I was there for the interview, and told me I should try to live there. But there have been posts by people who didn't like it as well. If you like things a little more mellow, the Presidio is good. It doesn't look like the city. There are lots of open land with trees, beaches, parking, etc, and the apartments are pretty big, but there aren't nearby shops, gyms, bars, etc. If you have a bike, it's not a very long ride to school. I forget exactly but I think they said about 20-25 minutes. Hope this helps!

Hey Everybody -

I'll be starting in July with you guys! I'm pretty excited that it's coming up so soon.

I'm sharing some of the same concerns you guys are about taking the presidio housing. I've heard the Presidio is a beautiful and a quiet place to live within the city and only a short carpool away.... On one hand I think that would be great and on the other I want the experience of living in the middle of the city with a bunch of other dental students. I guess if we're not in the Pacific Apts though, we wouldn't be living with a lot of other dental students anyways. I was offered a room in a 3 bedroom apt for $852. I'm not really sure if this is a good deal or if I could find something comparable and within walking distance to school.

Has anybody found anything out that has swayed your mind?

I just thought it might be useful to bounce ideas off of ppl in my same situation :)

Thanks - AD

Hi everyone, I havent posted in a while but I wanted to jump in and say hello again. I am in the process of re doing my financial aid stuff because my army scholarship details havent been delivered to the school for some reason. I got the big packet in the mail, and was sort of bewildered by all of it, but it will be redone anyways. The Army is going to pay for the tuition and fees but I am still going to have to take out loans for living expenses. It is going to be roughly 1800 dollars a month in loans. Even with the HPSP I am going to come out school around 65k in debt. I know that is peanuts comparatively, but I just wanted to point out that the Army isnt exactly a free ride through school. It might be if you were single though.

I am also planning on living in San Rafael because of the cheap rent. You know you are living in the Bay area when you see a 750 sq ft, 2 bedroom apartment for 1700 dollars a month and think... "what a deal!"

Presidio would have been nice, but we didnt get selected. For those who did and havent been there, it really is as beautiful as they say it is. Enjoy it.

When it comes to apartment hunting, craigslist.org is your best friend. Know it, use it, love it.
whats up jmick101 and the rest of the pacific crew! look forward to seeing you all in a couple months. having spent the last few years in and around SF, I can say the public transit (AKA Muni) is awesome. if you find a spot in the city, and want to figure out how you'll get to school, try: 511.org Go to "Trip Planner" and it'll give you exact info on times, buses, etc.

whats up jmick101 and the rest of the pacific crew! look forward to seeing you all in a couple months. having spent the last few years in and around SF, I can say the public transit (AKA Muni) is awesome. if you find a spot in the city, and want to figure out how you'll get to school, try: 511.org Go to "Trip Planner" and it'll give you exact info on times, buses, etc.

Pretty sweet website; thanks, bro.:thumbup:

Okay guys, so I went to presidio today... I must admit it's a beautiful place~golden gate bridge view, ocean, and a lot of nature....very nice!
...but...to be honest, it's too far for my liking. I guess it comes down to personal preference and what you are looking for. In my case, I rather pay more but live closer to school.

I spoke to some first years at the school today who live there now and they said people car pool, others drive their car to the marina (where there is a free parking lot) and then take the bus to school, others ride their bikes or motorcycles. So there are definitely options it's just a matter of what you are willing to do to... it is nice.

Good luck to everyone!

Anyone know anything about the residential hotel across the street from the school? They have some very interesting deals if you don't mind sharing a kitchen w/ a couple of other rooms. I would LOVE to be that close to school and really don't mind renting a no frills pad, especially for the first year.

Here are the names of lenders that have been subpoenaed in the student loan kickback scandal:

Student Loan Xpress (CIT Group Inc)
Education Finance Partner
College Loan Corp
Access Group (on the UoP preferred lender list)
Sun Trust
Edifinancial and Regions Bank

here is an article

edit: I haven't found other articles linking Access Group to the scandal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone remember what they said the average debt was for a Pacific graduate? I can't believe one pay period is $90,000! I thought school would cost about $300,000, but that's an additional $60,000!

loan info link

Anyone remember what they said the average debt was for a Pacific graduate? I can't believe one pay period is $90,000! I thought school would cost about $300,000, but that's an additional $60,000!

loan info link

According to Dr. Yarborough, it's $300,000 :eek:

Thanks for that link - looks super useful!

Hello everyone,

My name is Sumit Gupta and I am part of the Class of 2008. I just wanted to let those of you know that did not get Pacific housing that I am looking for a roommate for next year. My apartment is located at 2240 Buchanan St. (cross street is Sacramento), which is one block away from school (really convenient). It is located in Pacific Heights so it is very safe. It is a two bedroom and two bathroom place with a spacious living room and kitchen. If you are interested or have any questions please email me at [email protected] .

Thanks,

Sumit Gupta
Class of 2008

loan info link

Pine, I got a little sticker shock when I saw that number too, but remember that we're paying for the first year kit in that payment too. Every other payment period has about $16-17,000 less in fees. The total number (based on my calculations) comes out to around $295,000 if you're in off-campus housing.

Pine, I got a little sticker shock when I saw that number too, but remember that we're paying for the first year kit in that payment too. Every other payment period has about $16-17,000 less in fees. The total number (based on my calculations) comes out to around $295,000 if you're in off-campus housing.

yes, but tuition for each year after the first 9 months also increases. I vaguely recall that tuition the first 9 months was something like $5-8,000 less than the other three 9 month periods.

During my interview Dr. Y quoted a figure around 300-310K by the time we are done with our three years.

For anyone that got the pacific apartments...did you receive any information in the mail about them? I just got back from Boston and my mailbox was full so Im not sure if the information hasnt come yet or the mail person was tired of stuffing things in my mailbox.

For anyone that got the pacific apartments...did you receive any information in the mail about them? I just got back from Boston and my mailbox was full so Im not sure if the information hasnt come yet or the mail person was tired of stuffing things in my mailbox.

Nothing for me yet. In AZ.

Nor for me, but I live in BFE.

So you guys thing the financial aid stuff is really due on the 5th? I just got it

So you guys thing the financial aid stuff is really due on the 5th? I just got it

Pine, my financial award letter was dated April 27 and they asked me to return them by May 15th. So, to be safe send them in within 2 weeks of receiving them.
-C

Yeah I just got mine yesterday and it says due on 5/5. Im going to send it tomorrow. They really dont give you a lot of time.

thanks guys (and gals). Work was cancelled today so I got my papers all filled out and ready to send. Dealing with figures this big makes me dizzy. Well, when it has to do with debt at least :laugh:

thanks guys (and gals). Work was cancelled today so I got my papers all filled out and ready to send. Dealing with figures this big makes me dizzy. Well, when it has to do with debt at least :laugh:

Pine/GoDucks,
If you don't mind sharing, which lender are you guys using for your stafford/Grad+/private loans and why?
Thanks!
-C

Pine/GoDucks,
If you don't mind sharing, which lender are you guys using for your stafford/Grad+/private loans and why?
Thanks!
-C

Good question...I was going to figure that out tonight. Any input would be helpful, I might have to look over Armor's numbers again.

Which reminds me...

I just re-did my analysis with a 10 year repay and here were my findings (same style as before):

*All Student*
Staffords - 7.62 (But they dump your benefits for 1 late payment)
G+ - 6.3

*CDA*
Staffords - 2.7 (A monumental drop from before)
G+ - 5.5 (But it doesn't significantly reduce your monthly payment,)

*Leverage*
Staffords - 6.6
G+ - 11.45

*T.H.E*
Staffords - 5.5
G+ - 5.9

As you can see, the leverage Grad Plus is still the best for that loan, whereas for stafford either leverage or all-student are numerically the best. However, T.H.E. has the lowest requirements for keeping the benefits, which you will lose with a single late payment with any of the other borrowers.

I still need to make a few calls before I send my sheet in, but I'll be going with either Leverage or T.H.E. Leverage because of the sheer numerical power of their loans or T.H.E. for the user-friendliness.

I just got mine in the mail today

I took a second look at Leverage after looking at Armor's numbers, but I felt better going with a non-profit, and although I don't plan on missing any payments, I like the forgiveness of the T.H.E. plan. So it was T.H.E. for me.

(And oh dear god I'm hoping for a WICHE scholarship please please please)

I've been looking into taking my car up. It's going to cost so much money to have a car there. Anyone in the Pacific Apartments planning on taking a car even if you don't get a parking space? The only other parking lot I know of in the area is the Japantown lot and that has a waiting list for monthly parking (at $155/month). And I haven't checked, but I think that it's pretty expensive to register your car in CA...anyone know if I'm right?

Hey, what's our school mascot?

Tigers, rawr!

tigerman.jpg

you're right on all counts! honestly, you really don't need a car in SF.

Tigers, rawr!

tigerman.jpg

And our colors are orange/black just like the OSU Beavers. My wife bought me a Pacific sweater and went with black and white instead of orange. She realized I wouldnt wear it otherwise.

funny, that's the same mascot/colors as my undergrad

hey guys, Wondering if your apartment searches are underway or still in preliminary stages. I still think i'm looking a bit too early but ..

i found a place thats 3 blocks from school.. its $2500 and is listed as a 2 bedroom/1 bath + living room + formal dining room.. I think it could be easily used as a 3 bedroom by Converting the living room into a bedroom.. That would bring the three rooms to $750(small room), $875(Bedroom) and $875 (livingroom).We'd still have the dining room 14.5'x12.5' that we could use as a living room.

If i could find two people into this idea we can really save some money, live in a nice building, be really close to school and still have tons of room...

I think we could even go as far as making it a 4 bedroom, converting both the living room and dining room.. the rooms would then be $575, and the 3 larger rooms at $642. Only problems I see is that we all would have to be considerate with bathroom use (and perhaps management wouldn't allow that many people in there?)

Anyone think its a good idea, or am i just being a cheap bastard?
(Here's the floor plan of the place if anyone is interested in taking a look)

Any others who are truly interested in some serious frugality and would like to join me in the search for a real bargain let me know. My requirements for the place we eventually find is that it be no more than a few blocks from school.

Did anyone else read that the move in day for Pacific Apartments is matriculation day? I hope I read that wrong but it seems ridiculous that we move in the first day we have to go to school. I am going to try to move in sooner but I'm not sure how many people they let do that.

Did anyone else read that the move in day for Pacific Apartments is matriculation day? I hope I read that wrong but it seems ridiculous that we move in the first day we have to go to school. I am going to try to move in sooner but I'm not sure how many people they let do that.

Wow, I hope that isn't true. That's going to be a huge hassle.

Anybody know what the deal is with health insurance? Is the cost included in our tuition? Do we all pay the same rate?

The UoP website says that the monthly premiums are lumped in with tuition:

UoP Website said:
All enrolled students and residents participate in mandatory medical insurance program (Blue Cross of California through TDIC Financial & Insurance Services) selected by the School of Dentistry. No student is exempt from participation in the program. Insurance premiums are assessed with tuition and other fees.

It definitely seems like a good plan though. $5 prescriptions, $20 co-pays and a $2000 deductible.

Here's the link for a .pdf with more info: http://dental.pacific.edu/StudentServices/documents/studentHealthInsurance.pdf

Yea I was wondering about the $90K per 9-month period... multiplied by 4, you get $360K, which is $60K over what I remember admissions and financial aid say.

I spoke with a couple first years at UOP and they said that the lenders are basically all the same, so it won't make a HUGE difference who you choose.

That said, they also suggested going with T.H.E. cuz your interest rate drops like 0.5-1% after the first six months of repaying the loans. They said when they were applying, the financial aid office suggested to them to choose T.H.E. So I just sent the papers today going with that one for my loans. =)

I still don't really understand the reasoning behind wanting higher interest rates... as I remember ArmorShell said after doing his analyses. I thought lower was better... cuz then you have less to pay back. Explanation?

Mm... my bad... so the figures aren't interest rates... but are numerical values for benefits. Hmm... interesting.

Yea I was wondering about the $90K per 9-month period... multiplied by 4, you get $360K, which is $60K over what I remember admissions and financial aid say.

Remember that we're paying for the pre-doctoral kit in the first pay period, which is roughly $15,000 of the cost. If you add up the forecasted costs you get a number slightly below $300,000.

That said, they also suggested going with T.H.E. cuz your interest rate drops like 0.5-1% after the first six months of repaying the loans. They said when they were applying, the financial aid office suggested to them to choose T.H.E. So I just sent the papers today going with that one for my loans. =)

I still don't really understand the reasoning behind wanting higher interest rates... as I remember ArmorShell said after doing his analyses. I thought lower was better... cuz then you have less to pay back. Explanation?

T.H.E. has good loans, and it's almost impossible to lose your benefits, which is what your gain for sacrificing a little bit of the numeric power the other loans possess.

Sorry about the confusion with the percentages. I realized it probably wasn't the best approach after my first analysis and tried to explain it the best I could. :oops:

Feel free to PM/email/AIM me if anything ever comes up like that in the future, and that goes for everyone!

I received my guidebook yesterday...the quotes are good. :D Anyways, I'll be heading down to SF in two weeks to get my dogs "inspected" for the apt I'm applying to. If anyone wants me to check anything out for them, take pics or whatever just let me know!

I received my guidebook yesterday...the quotes are good. :D Anyways, I'll be heading down to SF in two weeks to get my dogs "inspected" for the apt I'm applying to. If anyone wants me to check anything out for them, take pics or whatever just let me know!

Prior to "inspection" you may want to check these out...they're available with or without epididymis for the true die hards. Even the american kennel club is having a hard time telling the difference, i doubt your land lord will!

http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html

OMG...that's about the funniest thing I have ever seen! So many options too. I'm not sure what my female will think about those :laugh:

Hey guys, TOTALLY off topic... but I received that first year handbook sent to us in the mail yesterday and on the back of it, there was a "jar-of-teeth" soaked in 2 parts water, 1 part bleach, 1 part glycerin. Earlier in this thread someone told us to soak it in 1:10 bleach, which is pretty common. So which one should we go with? Can any of the current students tell us what the endo profs tell you guys to do? Thanx!

Hey guys, TOTALLY off topic... but I received that first year handbook sent to us in the mail yesterday and on the back of it, there was a "jar-of-teeth" soaked in 2 parts water, 1 part bleach, 1 part glycerin. Earlier in this thread someone told us to soak it in 1:10 bleach, which is pretty common. So which one should we go with? Can any of the current students tell us what the endo profs tell you guys to do? Thanx!

Yeah...right now my teeth are sitting in alcohol. I may switch them to the bleach depending on what a current student says.

I noticed that too, lol. I also have them in 1:10, bleach:water. Hmmm...I wonder what Juggamynugga or Sherm have to say...