**Official Pacific Class of 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think a tuxedo everyday is overkill? I actually like ties.

To find out how many replies you've posted in a thread, you need to be on the main pre-dental forum page, scroll down to the thread you want....look across to the right and you'll see the number of total replies. If you click on that number, it will pop open a box that tells you how many replies are from each person.

Armor is #1 with 101
I'm #2 with 61...make this 62
Wizzie is #3 with 44 posts

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone please tell me what are the requirements to qualify for a tax deduction/reduction when someone will be a student , and get a student loan? Is there a minimun household income requiered or something like that?

Apparently San Francisco does not do this, only Marin County. Centertown Apartments (affordable housing complex in Marin) has income requirements for a family of 3 that are as follows:
2630 per month minimum income
not to exceed 50,900 per year
My wife just talked to the EAH lady today.
I don't know if it is the same for every place but this should give you an idea. Doing a google search isn't really all that much help except to get the number of Marin Housing Organization. The only way we got any good info was from a phone call. I think it is at www.marinhousing.org. The information we got was that you had to call up apartment complexes and ask if they have affordable housing. If they do, they'll tell you and put your name on the waiting list. The bad thing is that you never know when/if you'll be called.
If any others have more information about BMR, please share.

I still don't think we can wear tennis shoes. It says tennis shoes are okay for staff so long as they contain no logos....I think students aren't allowed tennis shoes.

"For first year students and Professional Services Laboratory staff, a more casual attire is permissible with the following limitations:
1) Shorts, cut-offs, tee-shirts, halter-type tops, gym or sweat clothes are not permitted.
2) Jeans that are clean and are in good repair are permitted but not encouraged.
3) Clean shoes and socks must be worn.
4) No caps or any other types of head gear will be worn."

Technically we could wear jeans...:)

I don't mind too much that we have to wear dress clothes, but it would be nice to be able to wear scrubs on days that we want to be more comfy (e.g. late night lab days). But I guess we all have to grow out of the college sweat pant days at some point.

The only exception to the dress code (that I found anyways) is on lab days. There is no dress code on these days.

Anyone know if the dress code changes during dissection days? I remember hearing something about that but now I can't find the source.

You're allowed to change into scrubs or jeans/t-shirt for the lab section of anatomy. They used to let us dress down a bit for the whole day, but people took advantage of it and faculty/staff complained to the administration. Even though as 1st years you won't have direct interaction with patients, you still see a lot of them in the halls and when you enter the building. The philosophy at the school is to be professional at all times.

As for shoes, they don't have to be super dressy, but nothing that would be used primarily for sports. I can't think of too many staff that even wear tennis shoes, maybe just the maintenance guys and sterilization who have to deal with slippery surfaces. A lot of people just keep a pair of shoes in their locker so they don't have to walk to school in high heels or something too uncomfortable.

You're allowed to change into scrubs or jeans/t-shirt for the lab section of anatomy. They used to let us dress down a bit for the whole day, but people took advantage of it and faculty/staff complained to the administration. Even though as 1st years you won't have direct interaction with patients, you still see a lot of them in the halls and when you enter the building. The philosophy at the school is to be professional at all times.

As for shoes, they don't have to be super dressy, but nothing that would be used primarily for sports. I can't think of too many staff that even wear tennis shoes, maybe just the maintenance guys and sterilization who have to deal with slippery surfaces. A lot of people just keep a pair of shoes in their locker so they don't have to walk to school in high heels or something too uncomfortable.

What about ties? Do we really have to wear them?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about ties? Do we really have to wear them?

Ties are optional, though they probably like it if you did wear one. Some people always wear a tie and others never. There was only one professor who would require a tie and freshly shaved face for his X-ray rotation, but he retired about 6 months ago.

I wouldn't worry about the dress code so much. You'll figure it out and realize it's not that big a deal. There are much bigger problems to worry about in dental school.

I wouldn't worry about the dress code so much. You'll figure it out and realize it's not that big a deal. There are much bigger problems to worry about in dental school.

Worrying about the dress code helps pass the time until we hear about housing.

Worrying about the dress code helps pass the time until we hear about housing.

ditto that. i've been mad shopping for business casual clothes since i'm the t-shirt and jeans kinda girl. i have never bought so many sweaters/button down shirts and pumps in my life.

ditto that. i've been mad shopping for business casual clothes since i'm the t-shirt and jeans kinda girl. i have never bought so many sweaters/button down shirts and pumps in my life.

:D I have to go on a shopping spree too (not necessarily the type I would like to go on...but, it has to be done) Now, all I need is to find some money to go :eek:

I've been wearing flip flops since high school...

I don't think I can jam those into any business casual shoes! :eek:

Hi everyone. I need to get into Pacific's accepted student webpage but forgot the parameters (the acceptance password parameters). Could someone PM me the general guidlines that they gave us in one of the previous mailings, since I have lost the sheet with the password guidlines?
Thanks

:rolleyes:

Alright; so I've dropped off jars at 12 different offices thus far, 10 of which were OMFS. This was about two weeks ago.

What do you guys think: Should I go hit up another dozen or do you think I'll get enough teeth by mid June when I leave for SF? Some offices made it a point to tell me that they probably wouldn't get so many "good" teeth.

I was wondering what Juggamynugga or Sherman have to say about this...

Alright; so I've dropped off jars at 12 different offices thus far, 10 of which were OMFS. This was about two weeks ago.

What do you guys think: Should I go hit up another dozen or do you think I'll get enough teeth by mid June when I leave for SF? Some offices made it a point to tell me that they probably wouldn't get so many "good" teeth.

I worked at an OS office this morning. It was a slow morning. My doctor alone probably could have provided 7 or so intact teeth that would satisfy our needs. So, yes, go get more docs so you can be the savior for our class. But you should have MORE than plenty for your own needs.

12 jars is a lot, you should be ok and will probably be pretty popular among your classmates come endo block time. Keep in mind you won't need these teeth until 4th quarter of first year, so if the jar isn't full, you won't need to pick it up before coming to school. More teeth the better because it'll increase your chances of finding those 7 or 8 "perfect" ones you'll need for class.

12 jars is a lot, you should be ok and will probably be pretty popular among your classmates come endo block time. Keep in mind you won't need these teeth until 4th quarter of first year, so if the jar isn't full, you won't need to pick it up before coming to school. More teeth the better because it'll increase your chances of finding those 7 or 8 "perfect" ones you'll need for class.

Cool; thanks Sherm. I hope I get some nice anteriors, canines, and premolars.

So I got a call today that I got into the Pacific Apartments. Im pretty happy that I dont have to embark on the wonderful journey of searching for an apartment in SF when I live around 11 hours away.

So I got a call today that I got into the Pacific Apartments. Im pretty happy that I dont have to embark on the wonderful journey of searching for an apartment in SF when I live around 11 hours away.

Got me some housing also. That was more stressful than waiting for the accptance letter

For all those who are hoping for calls about Presidio housing, I just called the housing office. They are trying to re-negotiate something with Presidio so they haven't chosen those yet. I guess we get to wait even longer. :(

I didn't get the call for housing today. Is there still hope?

wow, I'm glad I threw that out there. Did you know that the Fillmore Center is actually a rental place that Pacific recommends on their brochures?...The search begins again...if anyone has any recommendations for pet-friendly places feel free to pass the info along to me.

Hey livin,
I know you were thinking about living at the Fillmore Center apartments. Now that I know I don't have housing, I was looking at the school's website about housing and bumped into that apartment complex. I remembered reading something on here about not going south of Geary... Did you by any chance find something else yet? I'd like to get feedback on areas where students could live that are safe and affordable.
Thanks!

Hey livin,
I know you were thinking about living at the Fillmore Center apartments. Now that I know I don't have housing, I was looking at the school's website about housing and bumped into that apartment complex. I remembered reading something on here about not going south of Geary... Did you by any chance find something else yet? I'd like to get feedback on areas where students could live that are safe and affordable.
Thanks!

I visited the Filmore Center and I noticed the area wasn't as nice as the neighborhoods containing UOP. But I wasn't in the least concerned for my safety. Then again, I was there during the day. I did notice some homeless people.

As for the Fillomore Center itself, it was beautiful...I looked at a studio and was really impressed. You do get what you pay for, though: $1400/month.

Hey guys so I finally got in off the waiting list...pretty much 90% sure I'm gonna drop UCLA and go here...any final words of persuasion...? I Live in LA now, but don't mind giving SF a shot, sad thing is that I'm gonna turn down guaranteed housing at UCLA to scavenge around SF for a place to live ( no University housing available to me)....let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

MartinM: Do you mind telling us when you got off the wait list? :)

Hey guys so I finally got in off the waiting list...pretty much 90% sure I'm gonna drop UCLA and go here...any final words of persuasion...? I Live in LA now, but don't mind giving SF a shot, sad thing is that I'm gonna turn down guaranteed housing at UCLA to scavenge around SF for a place to live ( no University housing available to me)....let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

but why Martin...why...:rolleyes:. Well gl wherever you go man :thumbup:

Hi Catytweety,

I had a friend from Berkeley go check out the area for me (I'm currently living in WA state) and she said that the area looked fine. She wasn't concerned about her safety at all. She drove from campus to the fillmore center and further beyond. She said it does get worse as you get farther from campus but that it didn't seem bad. I will most likely be living there b/c they are the only place that will allow me to keep my dogs so my options are obviously limited. Worst case scenario, I will have my fiance pick me up from school in the evenings so we could carpool if you decide to live there too. If pets aren't an issue for you there is also the Post apartments which are actually a little closer to campus (~5 blocks away). They seemed nice. Good luck with your search!

Hi Catytweety,

I had a friend from Berkeley go check out the area for me (I'm currently living in WA state) and she said that the area looked fine. She wasn't concerned about her safety at all. She drove from campus to the fillmore center and further beyond. She said it does get worse as you get farther from campus but that it didn't seem bad. I will most likely be living there b/c they are the only place that will allow me to keep my dogs so my options are obviously limited. Worst case scenario, I will have my fiance pick me up from school in the evenings so we could carpool if you decide to live there too. If pets aren't an issue for you there is also the Post apartments which are actually a little closer to campus (~5 blocks away). They seemed nice. Good luck with your search!

The post apartments (I believe it was 2000 Post....maybe) do seem pretty nice. I poked my head in after a resident walked in but got shooed away. Plus you are really close to the Pacific apartments....more study buddies nice and close. Hopefully a current student can give you some advice on that place.

Hey guys i just received my award letter and was wondering if anybody knows which lenders do most UOP students choose?

Also what are you guys thinking about the lender choices and why....anyone in particular out of uop's recommended choices?

man... we lost another one from UCLA =(. That's cool though, good luck Martin

Hey guys i just received my award letter and was wondering if anybody knows which lenders do most UOP students choose?

Also what are you guys thinking about the lender choices and why....anyone in particular out of uop's recommended choices?

I have no idea. Does it make a big difference who you choose? I
was thinking the private loan (T.H.E) looked interesting. Are private loans a bad idea? For interest rates, the paper says "As low as 3-month LIBOR plus: 1.75%, including built-in T.H.E. Bonus during in-school and repayment." What does that mean - what is LIBOR?

was thinking the private loan (T.H.E) looked interesting. Are private loans a bad idea? For interest rates, the paper says "As low as 3-month LIBOR plus: 1.75%, including built-in T.H.E. Bonus during in-school and repayment." What does that mean - what is LIBOR?

LIBOR is the British equivalent of Prime Rate when it comes to determining the current interest rate. Some banks like to use LIBOR for some reason. Some say it flutuates less but usually will be about the same in the end. I personally use THE for both my federal and private loans. Their incentive system may not seem as great as some of the other lenders, but they also don't place as hard to meet criteria such as 48 consecutive on-time payments in order to qualify. I believe they only require you to be in good standing for 60 days and the bonus starts right away instead of having to wait 2 years. They also have a reputation for being a very ethical non-profit lender and have been very easy to work with. I was also looking at AccessGroup when choosing different loans but decided it would be easier to just stick with one agency. StudentLoanExpress recently got in trouble with giving kickbacks to some schools. I don't think I considered any of the for-profit lenders. Check out the financial aid forum on SDN too, lotsa med students discussing the different lenders as well.

Check out last year's Pacific thread. Javidi has some good info there about this kid of stuff.

The post apartments (I believe it was 2000 Post....maybe) do seem pretty nice. I poked my head in after a resident walked in but got shooed away. Plus you are really close to the Pacific apartments....more study buddies nice and close. Hopefully a current student can give you some advice on that place.

Hey livin' & wizziefiend,
Thanks for the info guys! I will look into Post Apartments.
Happy hunting for everyone who didn't get housing! :luck:

I just got the call regarding Presidio housing.A 4 bedroom /2 bath for 627$ including all utilities (except phone and cable); works for me:) Although it's a little far from school, I'm still happy with it.Hopefully I get used to using the bus pretty soon.