Official Osteopathic College/University Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know. I'm hesitant to agree because the current guys are the ones in the state full of guns. Don't want to rattle them.
Don't underestimate the number of guns in northern Michigan. We probably have a higher number of extremist militias per capita than Texas, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't underestimate the number of guns in northern Michigan. We probably have a higher number of extremist militias per capita than Texas, too.
B-b-but everything's bigger in Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize it's an arbitrary activity, but I still find it fun nonetheless to discuss DO school rankings (or what they would be ranked). It's an interesting way to compare our own interview experiences, our priorities in a school, along with what has been said by alumni, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
NSU is not 4, more like 10-15
Ohio and Ok St are both 4 and 5, then Dmu.
AZCOM > atsu
western ca is 8-10 or so (better than NSU and many other private schools)

TCOM is 1 with 40m+ in research, excellent rotation sites, super low tuition, the highest acgme match rates, and connections to great residencies (1 acgme ortho spot is set aside at JPS for them, they match some at UTSW a top tier in less Competitive residencies and other mid tier tx md schools)

MSU is a solid 2

Go ahead and combine both PCOM PA and GA. Because when you graduate from either it still says PCOM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

AZCOM > atsu

TCOM is 1 with 40m+ in research, excellent rotation sites, super low tuition, the highest acgme match rates, and connections to great residencies (1 acgme ortho spot is set aside at JPS for them, they match some at UTSW a top tier in less Competitive residencies and other mid tier tx md schools)

MSU is a solid 2
Now I'm not sure if I should go off the Random Guy On Internet's Opinion ranking metrics or Mom's Vaguely Statistical ranking metrics.

Reactions: 1 users
1381434555103_123_21yByA6sEdgq1_0_0.jpg
Now I'm not sure if I should go off the Random Guy On Internet's Opinion ranking metrics or Mom's Vaguely Statistical ranking metrics.
indeed

AZCOM > atsu

MSU is a solid 2
You cannot be correct here. By what standard? Everyone underestimates ATSU. Honestly it's been an awesome school!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol this thread is hillarous. And why what it bumped. Obviously specifically ranking DO schools is silly. But I'm all for tiers.

Top tier
Dmu
MSU
Tcom
Nsu
Kcumb
Western
Rowan
Nyit
Touro ca/NY
PCOM
Ccom
Oklahoma state
Mid tier
Kcom
Heritage
Lecom
Unecom
Touro nv/middletown
Lecom
Mucom
Pikeville
Azcom
Atsucom
PCOM ga
Low tier
Edward via (both campuses)
Rvu
Lmu
William Carey
Alabama
Campbell
Pacific northwest
West virginia
Larkin
And dead last is
Lucom

This is official because my grandma told me.

For real reals though this is about right and could help make A DO list for a potential applicant based on stats

Last edited:
Lol this thread is hillarous. And why what it bumped. Obviously specifically ranking DO schools is silly. But I'm all for tiers.

Best
KCOM

Top tier
Dmu
MSU
Tcom
Nsu
Kcumb
Western
Rowan
Nyit
Touro ca/NY
PCOM
Ccom
Oklahoma state
Mid tier
Heritage
Lecom
Unecom
Touro nv/middletown
Lecom
Mucom
Rvu
Pikeville
Azcom
Atsucom
PCOM ga
Low tier
Lmu
William Carey
Alabama
Campbell
Pacific northwest
West virginia
Larkin
And dead last is
Lucom

For real reals though this is about right and could help make A DO list for a potential applicant based on stats
Fixed it for you!

Thanks. Didn't realize you are going to kcom.

For real though its the originial. All these other schools are just knock offs.
Haha no worries. Honestly KCOM gets discounted a lot and I think it's because of 2 things really. 1) it's in the middle of nowhere and 2) there aren't a lot of people on here shouting about how awesome it is (nor shouting against it) so it just gets shoved to the middle.

Really though I'm very pleased with my education so far. I love our school, I love our integrated ultrasound curriculum, I love getting to use our HPS's (the robots) almost every week doing cases relevant to our current body system just for fun, and our administration has been super responsive to feedback. We are the first class to do a systems based curriculum here and anytime we've had problems with something, they've made big adjustments to suit our needs. I have no major complaints other than being so far from a big city (but I'm usually busy enough that doesn't matter) and people in Kirksville drive annoyingly slow--thankfully I ride my bike most days. And I'll tell you, tuition and cost of living are a LOT less than AZCOM or a good amount of other schools. They have plenty of research available to those who pursue it. All around a great school and I chose it over several of your "top tier" schools I was accepted to.

Haha no worries. Honestly KCOM gets discounted a lot and I think it's because of 2 things really. 1) it's in the middle of nowhere and 2) there aren't a lot of people on here shouting about how awesome it is (nor shouting against it) so it just gets shoved to the middle.

Really though I'm very pleased with my education so far. I love our school, I love our integrated ultrasound curriculum, I love getting to use our HPS's (the robots) almost every week doing cases relevant to our current body system just for fun, and our administration has been super responsive to feedback. We are the first class to do a systems based curriculum here and anytime we've had problems with something, they've made big adjustments to suit our needs. I have no major complaints other than being so far from a big city (but I'm usually busy enough that doesn't matter) and people in Kirksville drive annoyingly slow--thankfully I ride my bike most days. And I'll tell you, tuition and cost of living are a LOT less than AZCOM or a good amount of other schools. They have plenty of research available to those who pursue it. All around a great school and I chose it over several of your "top tier" schools I was accepted to.

Well that's gonna happen a lot in the DO rankings because they dont make a huge difference.

Kcom was one of the the schools I was on the fence about. I had to draw the line somewhere. That and azcom.

I'm actually considering a mid school over a high school.

I am into the tier thing. But I think even by reawakening this thread it tries to give people hope that they should fight for one school vs the other for some inherent value. But the truth is, with most DO schools you are fighting to be in US med school ranked 200 vs 203 or something. It just seems kind of silly... By applying to a DO school you are essentially in tier 4.
There is upper tier MD, mid tier MD, low tier MD, DO schools, then a couple DO schools that people are nervous about (LUCOM and WCU -places like that).

Just go to a place where you can see yourself being for 4 years, without charging an arm and a leg, and having a good opportunity to have good rotations.

That's my 2 cents.

I'm so happy I'm a MI resident and have a great chance getting into MSU because of the bias they have for MI students

I don't think there are enough schools or differences for there to be rankings. All DO schools are more or less similar. Just choose one that fits you best!

By applying to a DO school you are essentially in tier 4.
There is upper tier MD, mid tier MD, low tier MD, DO schools, then a couple DO schools that people are nervous about (LUCOM and WCU -places like that).

Why are DO schools considered a tier after low-tier MD schools? Do these MD schools have a better education system than DO schools? Is it just because NIH chooses to fund MD schools more handsomely than DO schools? Wouldn't this be saying that an MD physician > DO physician? Kinda upsetting to see this in the DO forums.

However, some of the DO schools have better stats then MD... for example... DMU

Reactions: 1 users
Why are DO schools considered a tier after low-tier MD schools? Do these MD schools have a better education system than DO schools? Is it just because NIH chooses to fund MD schools more handsomely than DO schools? Wouldn't this be saying that an MD physician > DO physician? Kinda upsetting to see this in the DO forums.
I am not the one making these informal "rankings." I am just telling it how it is. This isnt an MD vs DO thing, or what is better in practice, blah blah... but if someone on the street were to ask me about US medical school rankings, thats how it goes. I only applied to DO schools and I am into their whole deal, but again, just telling you how it is.

The reason that others perceive even low tier MD as "better" is because of several factors (in this order relatively):
1) The fact that it is an MD school... you cant rank things that half the US population doesnt even know exists (DO). Is it fair? No... is it the way it is? yup, just have to deal with it.
2) More solidified clinical rotations. Not true at all MD, and the opposite is not true at all DO. But to become an accredited US MD school you essentially have to have a core hospital or a hospital region where your students do their clinicals at. This is better than shipping a student 9 hours for a family medicine 4 week clerkship found at some of the newer DO schools... Again... public perception here, you compare a massive hospital complex that takes up 1/8th of a city where students study at vs. private offices in the backwoods. Again, not saying that one is better than the other, as I am in no way qualified to do that. I am just saying how things are generally perceived.
3) You mentioned it... more research. They have more money.. more money means more research... more research means more big name researchers... More big name researchers means more prestige.

Again, I am not selling DO down the river here... but I mean there is no real use in lying to ourselves. DO schools have a certain build, MD schools have a certain build, its just the way things are. This DOES NOT mean MD is better than DO, or DO is better than MD. This DOES mean that public perception and currently program directors at big name MD residencies are biased towards thinking that MD is better.

No need to be ashamed of it or anything, its just the way things are. Accept it... get into a good DO school that you are happy at, do well, and become a doctor. Thats all that really matters, at least to me.

I am not the one making these informal "rankings." I am just telling it how it is. This isnt an MD vs DO thing, or what is better in practice, blah blah... but if someone on the street were to ask me about US medical school rankings, thats how it goes. I only applied to DO schools and I am into their whole deal, but again, just telling you how it is.

The reason that others perceive even low tier MD as "better" is because of several factors (in this order relatively):
1) The fact that it is an MD school... you cant rank things that half the US population doesnt even know exists (DO). Is it fair? No... is it the way it is? yup, just have to deal with it.
2) More solidified clinical rotations. Not true at all MD, and the opposite is not true at all DO. But to become an accredited US MD school you essentially have to have a core hospital or a hospital region where your students do their clinicals at. This is better than shipping a student 9 hours for a family medicine 4 week clerkship found at some of the newer DO schools... Again... public perception here, you compare a massive hospital complex that takes up 1/8th of a city where students study at vs. private offices in the backwoods. Again, not saying that one is better than the other, as I am in no way qualified to do that. I am just saying how things are generally perceived.
3) You mentioned it... more research. They have more money.. more money means more research... more research means more big name researchers... More big name researchers means more prestige.

Again, I am not selling DO down the river here... but I mean there is no real use in lying to ourselves. DO schools have a certain build, MD schools have a certain build, its just the way things are. This DOES NOT mean MD is better than DO, or DO is better than MD. This DOES mean that public perception and currently program directors at big name MD residencies are biased towards thinking that MD is better.

No need to be ashamed of it or anything, its just the way things are. Accept it... get into a good DO school that you are happy at, do well, and become a doctor. Thats all that really matters, at least to me.

This is actually one of my major concerns about some DO schools (quality of rotations). While I feel this is more of a problem is the newer programs while the more established ones are fine. I'm only applying to a couple very established schools. However, I do I judge the quality of their rotations?

Yea its tough... most the older ones have no problem. But even some new ones seem to at least be earnestly working to provide the best experiences for their students. CUSOM, MUCOM, and ACOM come to mind.

As to exactly how to judge them... besides just size of their hospitals and some of the specialties they provide, I am in the same boat as you my friend.

Yea its tough... most the older ones have no problem. But even some new ones seem to at least be earnestly working to provide the best experiences for their students. CUSOM, MUCOM, and ACOM come to mind.

As to exactly how to judge them... besides just size of their hospitals and some of the specialties they provide, I am in the same boat as you my friend.
Those are really the only "lower tier" schools I applied to... CUSOM, MUCOM and ACOM @Awesome Sauceome

Goro speaks highly of MUCOM so I think that is a good school for people who want a great quality education but might not have the stats to get into some of the older programs.

I think goro has said before that he knows someone that he respects. Awesome sauce seems to believe rotations are good there.

To tell the truth, I interviewed for a faculty job there. Those people know exactly what they're doing; the COM is tight with IUSM, and well tied into the business community so I can see endowments occurring very rapidly. MUCOM has tied into the Catholic hospital chain in the state of IN so there's a ready supply of rotation sites and potential residencies.

Even though research will take a back seat to academics while the new building for the COM and nursing program is being built (it might be done now), students interested in research can just mosey on over to IUSM or IUPUI.

Did they offer me the job? Nope, but that's just as well...the negatives of uprooting my family outweighed the plusses.

Yeah, I have seen his posts. I wonder why it is so good? @Goro

why??????????

You cannot be correct here. By what standard? Everyone underestimates ATSU. Honestly it's been an awesome school!

You sure they mean KCOM and not SOMA? I assumed they were comparing the two schools in AZ.

Top tier
Dmu
MSU
Tcom
Nsu
Kcumb
Western
Rowan
Nyit
Touro ca/NY
PCOM
Ccom
Oklahoma state
Mid tier
Kcom
Heritage
Lecom
Unecom
Touro nv/middletown
Lecom
Mucom
Pikeville
Azcom
Atsucom
PCOM ga
Low tier
Rvu
Lmu
William Carey
Alabama
Campbell
Pacific northwest
West virginia
Larkin
And dead last is
Lucom

KCOM should be higher, NYCOM should be lower on the "top tier" list, and Touro-NY should be in the "mid tier" list.

Really though, this is meaningless. As long as the school has been around (I.e. at least 5 years of graduates - completely arbitrary number I picked - before you) its in the same "tier" as any other DO school in terms of "pedigree" (if you can even call it that). The brand new ones are riskier right now, but in 10 yrs, who knows?

Go to the school that you feel you'll do best at, you'll get the best clinical training at, and is the cheapest (roughly in that order of priority).

I don't really think tiers is the same as what has the best education system or what produces the best physicians. To me tier is more about perceived pedigree than anything else. In other words is only meaningful to certain people. Does a BS in Pysch from Harvard really mean more than a BS in Psych from Penn State? It's still just a BS in Psych. Heck, you might even have learned more about Psych at Penn State (especially if you were self motivated) than the guy from Harvard learned (especially if he just took the minimum requirement s for the degree).

To be fair I didn't actually rank the schools. I just made tiers. I would consider all schools in each tier about equal. I would consider touro top just for there 30 MCAT average (also had some very good placements?

@hallowmann

Pikeville at the bottom? How sad, especially given the numbers of primary care physicians they produce.

But who really cares about whether or not a school actually fulfills its stated mission? We know it's all about derm residencies, amirite?