Official Osteopathic College/University Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted there but I'm not sure if I'll be attending yet. Are you heading to Nova?
No... have not heard anything from them since I submitted my secondary... I only had 2 interviews and still waiting to hear from them... studying to retake the MCAT if I don't get in this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're missing the número uno. The University of Health Professions for the Clinically Insane. Easily best rotations and patient population around.

MSU ranks among the top MD schools in primary care. With DO schools being so driven towards primary care, it should hold the #1 spot on this arbitrary list!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSU ranks among the top MD schools in primary care. With DO schools being so driven towards primary care, it should hold the #1 spot on this arbitrary list!
I don't know. I'm hesitant to agree because the current guys are the ones in the state full of guns. Don't want to rattle them.

I don't know. I'm hesitant to agree because the current guys are the ones in the state full of guns. Don't want to rattle them.
And us Texans love guns too. Bout to sign up to get my CHL. Things are getting real down here lol

I agree with the @guylewis ranking system.

You guys are getting trolled so hard. Such angst in this thread for no reason.

You guys are getting trolled so hard. Such angst in this thread for no reason.

let's face it--any ranking is going to be controversial. I think the majority of people would somewhat agree with the top 10.

sTg6l.jpg
Haha, havent read any of the stuff yet, just had to throw this in:

Reactions: 8 users
My mom made a ranking list too.

1. Schools close to home
2. Schools I got accepted to
3. Schools I didn't apply to
4. Schools that rejected me

My mom made one:
1) Schools that were close to home that I would not get accepted to in a million years
2) schools that she has heard of but doesnt actually have a clue about
3) community college near her that has a nice nursing program haha.... parents

My mom made one:
1) Schools that were close to home that I would not get accepted to in a million years
2) schools that she has heard of but doesnt actually have a clue about
3) community college near her that has a nice nursing program haha.... parents
I live next to ucsf. You know how many times I had to hear that I should go there?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My mom's list:
1) DO schools that are close to her
2) MD schools that are close to her
3) DO schools that are far from her
4) MD schools that are far from her
5) liberty

Reactions: 5 users
Though my Dad also thinks that I should do PA school instead of DO since in some specialties "PA's do very similar work to MD's".... I just stopped trying to correct him. Now whenever he asks I update him by saying my status on allopathic vs osteopathic schools, and I think he assumes it is just some subtle difference that he is unaware of, like University of Maryland could be an osteopathic and Temple might be an allopathic...

My mom's list:
1) Top 10 MD schools
2) Mid-tier MD schools
3) Low-tier MD schools
4) DO schools that are close to her
5) Cheap DO schools
6) Liberty college of Osteopathic Medicine
7) University of the Incarnate Word College of Osteopathic Medicine

Haha the whole top 10 thing cracks me up. Like even my wife sometimes is like "you are selling yourself short by not even trying."

And I am like... they have plenty of money, they do not need my donation haha. Maybe 10-15 years ago we would have a shot, but things have just gotten so dang competitive.

Though my Dad also thinks that I should do PA school instead of DO since in some specialties "PA's do very similar work to MD's".... I just stopped trying to correct him. Now whenever he asks I update him by saying my status on allopathic vs osteopathic schools, and I think he assumes it is just some subtle difference that he is unaware of, like University of Maryland could be an osteopathic and Temple might be an allopathic...

What does your dad thinks DOs do?

What does your dad thinks DOs do?

That is the amazing question isnt it haha.... Both my parents are not really educated on the medical system though to be fair. My dad still also thinks that his Nurse practitioner (who was grandfathered in, doesnt actually have even a doctorate in NP), is a doctor.

Its just one of those things where its like since THEY have never heard of it, then it must not actually exist.

I usually also argue it with: what type of dentist do you go to? That is usually a really good way to go about it, since most people dont realize that there are two types. So I explain that it is analogous to that for medical school.

OR in my Dads case I printed out the list of physicians in our home town hospital which has like 25% DO's (and growing). Heck one of my families member has most likely been treated by a DO at the hospital and not even known it haha!

Your parents will learn. If they don't, either educate them or ignore them. A lot of the bias is slowly going away more and more each year. I have a long history of MD's in my family, including my father. My brother and I are both in DO school, and I thought we might get some backlash from family members but they have been surprisingly supportive. My dad was ecstatic that I got in to medical school, he didn't care which one. I honestly think he was most happy that I got in to a school in my home town. He never pushed me to MD or DO. Just whatever I could get in that would be the best fit for me. He actually is a residency director at a local hospital and prefers the DO students over one of the major local MD programs.

Something that really surprises me is that despite my dad's unbiased opinion on DO vs. MD, he doesn't have near as much respect for nurse practitioners or PA's (by that I mean he scoffs at the idea that they are qualified to do everything a primary physician can do). If it was up to him, nobody in my family would ever see one. My mother actually had an appointment at the doctors office and instead of her doctor it was a PA, and she left.

Parents are stubborn. Just be happy that you are going to be a doctor. Rankings don't matter. Get in to a school that you like and do your best. You will be a doctor no matter where you go. No sense in getting upset about where your school falls.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My Mommy made a list:

1. "What is DO?"
2. "Just go to nursing school..."

Parents are funny. My parents are both very well educated (they both a psychologists) and have always wanted me to become a psychiatrist. But my mom has some funny ideas about academic superiority. She feels like PhDs are vastly superior to PsyDs for example.

They also are super hippy dippy and would be upset if I didn't go to a DO school. My mom was peeved that I even applied to a MD school.

I mean its easy to ignore them, I am married and live 900 miles away from them haha.... I couldnt care less what they think in their ignorance. It is however, funny sometimes

At first, my father thought DOs were lower class (he is an old school MD who was very biased against DOs). Since I have been accepted at a few DO schools, have kept him updated on policy changes, shown him my upcoming curriculum, etc. he has come around and recognizes there isn't a difference (minus OMM). Now he's an advocate for my education and happy that I will be attending medical school! I am actually deciding between an MD and a DO school and he is pro DO. So it goes to show ya, with a little education and patience, even the most stubborn can learn. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Your parents will learn. If they don't, either educate them or ignore them. A lot of the bias is slowly going away more and more each year. I have a long history of MD's in my family, including my father. My brother and I are both in DO school, and I thought we might get some backlash from family members but they have been surprisingly supportive. My dad was ecstatic that I got in to medical school, he didn't care which one. I honestly think he was most happy that I got in to a school in my home town. He never pushed me to MD or DO. Just whatever I could get in that would be the best fit for me. He actually is a residency director at a local hospital and prefers the DO students over one of the major local MD programs.

Something that really surprises me is that despite my dad's unbiased opinion on DO vs. MD, he doesn't have near as much respect for nurse practitioners or PA's (by that I mean he scoffs at the idea that they are qualified to do everything a primary physician can do). If it was up to him, nobody in my family would ever see one. My mother actually had an appointment at the doctors office and instead of her doctor it was a PA, and she left.

Parents are stubborn. Just be happy that you are going to be a doctor. Rankings don't matter. Get in to a school that you like and do your best. You will be a doctor no matter where you go. No sense in getting upset about where your school falls.

Yea a few years ago it seemed like the PA/NP thing was doing ok and a lot of the doctors that I know were respecting the supportive role that they play. But lately I have ONLY heard negative things from physicians about them. Possibly because those two professions in some cases (more so NP) are quite possibly stepping over the line from supportive role ---> physician, without having the knowledge that the physician has. Not a single doc has mentioned title, or working hard to get where they are blah blah. What they comment on is that NP's just do not have the depth or breadth of knowledge that can only be honed from 4 years of schooling and then 3+ years of working 80 hours a week to learn your craft.

I personally have spent time shadowing a PA who was EXTREMELY good. In fact better than some of the physicians on certain skills (in the ER). But then I spent time with another PA (who I thought was a CNA for a month), who has made really really obvious mistakes that even I as a pre-med could guess.

Like "wow I think this guy broke his leg!".... really? He followed you to the room and was walking fine....?

At first, my father thought DOs were lower class (he is an old school MD who was very biased against DOs). Since I have been accepted at a few DO schools, have kept him updated on policy changes, shown him my upcoming curriculum, etc. he has come around and recognizes there isn't a difference (minus OMM). Now he's an advocate for my education and happy that I will be attending medical school! I am actually deciding between an MD and a DO school and he is pro DO. So it goes to show ya, with a little education and patience, even the most stubborn can learn. :)
Thats really cool that he has become so receptive. The old guard can open up, thats awsome.

My personal opinion would be

TCOM>MSU=OU=PCOM=OSUCOM>Schools older than 20 years, MU>Everything else

It's official because I am OPs Dad.

Last edited:
Its just a darn shame that TCOM is so in-state heavy (and Texas is no fun), and then MSU is so indirectly in-state heavy with their tuition for OOS students. I briefly considered DO/PHD there to pay, because I seriously have only heard good things about it but idk... the MD/PHDs where I work seem miserable haha... like significantly more so than the MD students

Then you have OU with their contract to stay in Ohio, which is a bleh state in my opinion... so its like you knock out a few of the top dogs just on these random reasons alone.

TCOM>MSU=OU=PCOM>Schools older than 20 years, MU>Everything else

I agree with your ranking, except that I wouldn't say TCOM>MSU. It's only true if you factor in the tuition.

TCOM>MSU=OU=PCOM>Schools older than 20 years, MU>Everything else

Pcom and older school may produce some of the best physicians, but none compare in numbers or research to MSUCOM or OSU

Pcom and older school may produce some of the best physicians, but none compare in numbers or research to MSUCOM or OSU
I forgot OSUCOM. I don't know about the quality of their residencies but I do know that's where the majority of their students match for the AOA match.

Thats really cool that he has become so receptive. The old guard can open up, thats awsome.

I think a lot of the bias against DOs is around because other people are biased. The lack of information around for the public and for the older generation of docs about DOs creates more of an opening for speculation. Why are their credentials different from mine? What is OMM? Is that all they learn? OMM must be voodoo magic! Therefore, all DOs practice voodoo! ... and so the cycle of misinformation goes (I know it's exaggerated, but you get my point?). Yes, DOs must work hard and be the best doctors they can be to prove they are the same, but I also think advertising and public education about DOs is necessary to improve DO image. Staying quiet and doing your work well is great, but it may not be enough to enforce the changes we all want. MDs advertise everywhere. Even Caribbean schools advertise! (just heard a Ross ad on the radio). We are a materialistic and appearance based society... we have to play the game.

In b4

1) MU-COM

Ranking DO schools is like arguing who is the tallest midget in the world, go MD.

Ranking DO schools is like arguing who is the tallest midget in the world, go MD.

I can understand the first part of your comment but seriously what is it up with the "go MD" part.