Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
akpete said:
And does that mean that my waitlist chances have gone down a lot? I'm #20 on the instate list.
I would think you have a good shot of getting in. Wait for Madison's waitlist to move, which it should this week based on the email they sent out, and some WI residents will drop their MCW seats.

Members don't see this ad.

YzIa said:
Are you saying there will be less than ~50% instate this year?

Don't know. You'd have to ask Mike Itswan, he'd know for sure.

YzIa said:
Are you saying there will be less than ~50% instate this year?

My understanding (recalled from talking to Michael Istwan last June) is that the state legislature reduced the funding for the tuition break for instate residents. At the time they did that, they also removed the requirement for a certain percentage of admissions to be instate residents. So MCW can admit the same percentage of instate residents as before and have them all share pieces of the smaller pie, or admit fewer instate residents and have bigger pieces of this smaller pie. If you look at this last year's tuition break for instate students, you can see it's significantly smaller than in previous years.

Members don't see this ad :)
samenewme said:
My understanding (recalled from talking to Michael Istwan last June) is that the state legislature reduced the funding for the tuition break for instate residents. At the time they did that, they also removed the requirement for a certain percentage of admissions to be instate residents. So MCW can admit the same percentage of instate residents as before and have them all share pieces of the smaller pie, or admit fewer instate residents and have bigger pieces of this smaller pie. If you look at this last year's tuition break for instate students, you can see it's significantly smaller than in previous years.
Well, as long as it doesn't drop from the ~$5,000 that it is at as of now I will be satisfied.

Do any current MCW students have recommendations on what type of labtop I would be best off purchasing? Also, I am going to be missing three days of class in October for a wedding. Is this going to be a big deal (how good are the Co-op notes and are they available on line?) Lastly, what is this ANGEL thing? I think thats enough questions for ya. I look forward to seeing you guys at orientation.

Rob

Agent Splat said:
Roommate 1: Beer bongs in the dorm room, used my scanner to make fake IDs. Wet the bed after he overhydrated to prevent a hangover.

It's part of the college lifestyle.. Stop being a loser

xSTALLiONx said:
It's part of the college lifestyle.. Stop being a loser

I'm pretty sure I was able to live the "college lifestyle" without wetting my bed. Can we try to keep the trolling to a minimum here, please? Jeez... :rolleyes:

Zman8602 said:
Do any current MCW students have recommendations on what type of labtop I would be best off purchasing? Also, I am going to be missing three days of class in October for a wedding. Is this going to be a big deal (how good are the Co-op notes and are they available on line?) Lastly, what is this ANGEL thing? I think thats enough questions for ya. I look forward to seeing you guys at orientation.

Rob

Computer: Doesn't matter. As long as you have the internet, you're fine. We don't really have wireless on campus (unless you scam off a lab), and all computer required stuff has time reserved in the computer lab.

Classes: Some co-ops are better than others, but they're mostly pretty good. IMHO, the notes for biochem and devo are perfectly sufficient, so it's only anatomy that the co-ops would be super useful for, and they're pretty good. The only problem I forsee is if it's during exams. I think your exams are the second week of October, and you NEED to be there during exams, otherwise it wouldn't matter.

ANGEL: It's an internet bulletin board system where your classes all have their own pages and they send you announcements. It's also how stu orgs communicate. It's sort of hard to explain... it's not unlike SDN, in some ways, there are message boards and the like for appealing exam questions.

Does anyone know if they embroider the white coats? I don't use my first name and was just wondering what to put on the form they sent us. Also, would having my own microscope be useful at all? Thanks!

luvmykitties said:
Does anyone know if they embroider the white coats? I don't use my first name and was just wondering what to put on the form they sent us. Also, would having my own microscope be useful at all? Thanks!

No embroidered names on the coats, you get a nametag for that. It WILL say your real name, no matter what you do (mine says Alexandra, and I have never used that name in my life). The name is just for picking up your coat.

Having your own microscope would be of no use. They give us microscopes and I've never used mine. CTB (our histo class) labs are all on computer. Technically I guess slides exist, but we don't use them EVER.

YzIa said:
On another note, the roommate list came out today. Pretty small list given the class size.

How do you get a copy of the list if you live out of state??

pratik7 said:
How do you get a copy of the list if you live out of state??

I'm out of state and still received the list earlier today. I'm guessing that only those of us who handed in the Roommate Questionnaire form received the list. However, I may be wrong. Did you ever mail in your questionnaire?

GATORade said:
I'm out of state and still received the list earlier today. I'm guessing that only those of us who handed in the Roommate Questionnaire form received the list. However, I may be wrong. Did you ever mail in your questionnaire?

I'm from out of state and I got emailed my list. I just got back from my apt. hunting trip over Memorial Day weekend. I have never seen so many cool looking motorcycles & motorcyclists ! Being in Wauwatosa got me all excited about starting med school. The place has the small town feel that I miss from growing up in a suburb. Maybe I've just been in Los Angeles too long. That, and most people were super friendly and laid back. If anyone needs ideas on where to look for apt's, feel free to PM me.

-Becky

Members don't see this ad :)
I called financial aid to see what was up with our award letters and was told that they would be sending out our packages tomorrow (Thursday). Being the neurotic person that I am, I asked if I could just pick it up in person and they let me (I only live a couple of minutes away). And yes, there was a big pile ready to go with tomorrows mail.

Anyway, for those of you expecting something, don't bank on it. I didn't even get the token $1000 everyone else seems to be getting at other schools. This despite having a family contrubution of only $1000 per year. On a good note, the federal Stafford loans are up to 40,722 (8500 sub and 32,222 unsub) and they give you whatever else you need via private funding.

Lastly, health insurance for the year will run (I talked to them in the office):

$2176 for the HMO, ~$2400 for the PPO and $1836 for something called Coverage First. These totals are for 11 months and will be administered through Humana. Unless you have coverage through parents or a spouse, this is mandatory.

The budget is the same one that you see on the MCW website.

The cost of health insurance can be added onto your budget which means someone borrowing the full amount (including maxed out budget) is looking at $48,141 per year.

Code Brown said:
The cost of health insurance can be added onto your budget which means someone borrowing the full amount (including maxed out budget) is looking at $48,141 per year.

:barf:

I'll get over it.

Eventually. ;)

And what's up with that health coverage? $1836 - $2400? Is that not excessive? I'm currently paying $8 per month for kick a$$ coverage through my employer. Is their quote normal for students as compared to other schools?

Rebecca – congrats on finding a place. Where have you decided on?

GATORade said:
And what's up with that health coverage? $1836 - $2400? Is that not excessive? I'm currently paying $8 per month for kick a$$ coverage through my employer. Is their quote normal for students as compared to other schools?

Rebecca – congrats on finding a place. Where have you decided on?

The health insurance price is crappy, but that's pretty much the way this stuff works. Your coverage right now is so cheap because your employer pays the balance of the premium. My insurance through my job right now is about $30 a month for me, and my employer pays the ~$270 balance.

I'm pumped because I just found out that I can go back on my dad's insurance. If you're under 25 and single check with your parents. It doesn't cost him any more to have me on, because he's already paying the family rate. I'm getting married right before M2 year starts, so then I'll be on my wife's insurance. Score! :D

Andy15430 said:
The health insurance price is crappy, but that's pretty much the way this stuff works. Your coverage right now is so cheap because your employer pays the balance of the premium. My insurance through my job right now is about $30 a month for me, and my employer pays the ~$270 balance.

I'm pumped because I just found out that I can go back on my dad's insurance. If you're under 25, single, and a student, check with your parents. It doesn't cost him any more to have me on, because he's already paying the family rate. I'm getting married right before M2 year starts, so then I'll be on my wife's insurance. Score! :D

I see. Hmm. Yet another reason to put some savings aside for a ring and beg my girlfriend to move out to Wisconsin. I'm thinking nothing short of 2 carrots will do the trick. :laugh:

Code Brown said:
$2176 for the HMO, ~$2400 for the PPO and $1836 for something called Coverage First. These totals are for 11 months and will be administered through Humana. Unless you have coverage through parents or a spouse, this is mandatory.

The budget is the same one that you see on the MCW website.

What if you already have insurance privately? My parents policy stopped covering me last summer (I'm 23), so I've had my own policy this whole time. I would go from paying ~$525 per year to 4x that much!! :eek: And what about the 12th month, when they apparently don't cover? :confused:

Is there anywhere online where we can find a description of the student health insurance policies? Do they include vision and dental? Just wondering if I should load up on contacts before I get kicked off my parents insurance.

Zman8602 said:
Is there anywhere online where we can find a description of the student health insurance policies? Do they include vision and dental? Just wondering if I should load up on contacts before I get kicked off my parents insurance.

I know the insurance includes dental, but we're not sure (I just took an informal survey) if it covers vision. I'd recommend that you get loaded up on contacts anyway. I had to get new glasses a few months ago (my eyes degenerate like I'm a senior citizen) and they ran me $250 for the lenses. I brought my own frames! So yeah, get your parents to buy you whatever you can before you start.

I think you have to be covered by a spouse or parent as far as insurance goes if you want to get out of the group plan. The reason for that is thats the only way they could get Humana to give us the rates they do (I know, I know) is to promise that everyone not covered by another person's policy will be on the Humana plan.

Code Brown said:
I called financial aid to see what was up with our award letters and was told that they would be sending out our packages tomorrow (Thursday). Being the neurotic person that I am, I asked if I could just pick it up in person and they let me (I only live a couple of minutes away). And yes, there was a big pile ready to go with tomorrows mail.

Got my award letter in the mail today. Looks like pretty standard stuff, but it sucks that my expected student contribution is almost $5000, since that will pretty much be my life savings when I start school. They did screw one thing up with my award by budgeting my rent/utilities and food/household at the rates for someone living with their parents. I called the financial aid office and got put through to Linda Paschal. She said this wasn't a big deal at all and I can just clear that up at my appointment during orientation.

Wow...you guys have been busy the past few days (I was on my first medicine Sub-I call last night and have been in the hospital for 30+ hours--but that's another story). anyway, about:

-microscopes--you WILL use them in micro second year (sorry, xandie) but having your own would be completely absurd unless you have some other compelling reason, and i have no idea what could be that compelling.

-insurance--yes it sucks, but before you b!tch, realize that they were going to change it to make it more affordable (for me, at least), but the students voted to keep it how it was. Or, rather, the married students/students with existing conditions voted that way and other people didn't vote at all. anyway, for better or worse, that's how it is. xandie is right that unless you're on a)parents' or b)spouse's insurance, you HAVE to be on Humana (don't tell them that i'm not right now, ok? i will be soon, i promise).

-loans--if you want more money, just tell them that your/your family contribution will be $0. then you'll get everything in loans. not a big deal--you'll just cross it out and sign it and viola--extra cash. eventually you'll learn how to manipulate the forms so that you don't have to do the extra step, but you have to meet with fin aid anyway, so it's not a big deal.

anyway, there's probably more, but i'm tired. and hungry. sounds like you folks are starting to get amped up, which is good, but don't forget to have fun this summer and not worry too much about med school stuff--it'll all still be here in august and will probably work out the same whether you deal with it now or then. i'll check back when i'm more coherent. Peace.

Brown - where do you live? Near Froedtert? I'm on the far northern reaches of MKE county - halfway between Brown Deer Road and County Line.

TheProwler said:
Brown - where do you live? Near Froedtert? I'm on the far northern reaches of MKE county - halfway between Brown Deer Road and County Line.

115th Street and Watertown Plank Rd.

For those of you coming in who need a place to stay, I recommend the Exel Inn. It's in a great location and runs about $45 per night for a single and $54 for a double. Small rooms but good comfortable beds, quiet, high speed internet (if you have a laptop), free local calls, non-smoking, and breakfast (typical motel breakfast). The address is 115 N Mayfair Rd, Wauwatosa, WI 53226. Their number is 414-257-0140 or 1-800-367-3935 ext 8378. www.exelinns.com

We stayed there for 3 nights and were very happy (my wife is very picky). Right beside restaurants, Starbucks and easy freeway access.

Ah yes, Code Brown mentions Starbucks. Which leads me to my question...are there any decent places to study outside of MCW? Coffeeshops/cafes/bookstores/etc? I've always been a "social area" studier where the buzz of other people is around. I loved studying at the cafe at Barnes and Noble in Green Bay and I'm hoping to have something similar nearby.

Agent Splat said:
Ah yes, Code Brown mentions Starbucks. Which leads me to my question...are there any decent places to study outside of MCW? Coffeeshops/cafes/bookstores/etc? I've always been a "social area" studier where the buzz of other people is around. I loved studying at the cafe at Barnes and Noble in Green Bay and I'm hoping to have something similar nearby.

Speaking of studying, we were just at the grocery store and found out that you can't buy any liquor after 9pm in Wisconsin (with the exception of the bars and clubs). Completely irrelevant but I thought I'd bump this thread up :D

Code Brown said:
For those of you coming in who need a place to stay, I recommend the Exel Inn. It's in a great location and runs about $45 per night for a single and $54 for a double. Small rooms but good comfortable beds, quiet, high speed internet (if you have a laptop), free local calls, non-smoking, and breakfast (typical motel breakfast). The address is 115 N Mayfair Rd, Wauwatosa, WI 53226. Their number is 414-257-0140 or 1-800-367-3935 ext 8378. www.exelinns.com

We stayed there for 3 nights and were very happy (my wife is very picky). Right beside restaurants, Starbucks and easy freeway access.

Ah yes. Exel's where I stayed at and it was great. Free *wireless* internet access...I was very excited about that. As CodeBrown mentioned, I found the centralized location convenient. One thing I sure won't miss about L.A. is having to drive far to get to everything!

For those of us with pre-existing conditions, is it possible to get in contact with any of the dr.'s under either the HMO or the PPO plan before school starts?

- Becky

GATORade said:
:barf:

I'll get over it.

Eventually. ;)

Ditto. Actually, I believe the exact quote of what went through my head would be, "Holy ****."
:laugh:

-Becky

Agent Splat said:

There's a little cafe/coffee shop in the Wisconsin Athletic Club right across the street from MCW. I met my landlord there to sign the lease on my apartment, and thought it might be a good place to study. You don't have to be a member of the club to go in the cafe.

There's a B&N at Mayfair Mall, too, about a mile away.

Code Brown said:
Speaking of studying, we were just at the grocery store and found out that you can't buy any liquor after 9pm in Wisconsin (with the exception of the bars and clubs). Completely irrelevant but I thought I'd bump this thread up :D
I could've told you that. :( My bro and I made a last ditch effort to get to the liquor store at 8:57 the other night, but the doors were already locked.

Andy15430 said:
There's a B&N at Mayfair Mall, too, about a mile away.

I know there are lots of people that study at Barnes and Noble and Starbucks (there's one in downtown Tosa that's popular) for sure. Also, there's quite a substantial contingent that study at the cafeteria at school--close enough to the computer lab and library that if you need something, you can get it, but somewhere with enough ambient noise that you don't feel bad if you discuss an issue or take a study break. (I'm obviously a caf studier. There's about 10 per class, usually.)

Hey all, does anyone know if MCW is open on the weekends so I could stop by and look at the roommate questionaires people filled out? I'd feel better knowing a little more about people before I contact them to be my roommate. And if it is, where would the binder be that contains the questionnaires? Thanks much!

So have all of you allready signed your leases. Are there any condominiums or town houses close to MCW for sale. Do you know how much they run at and where I should look to find them. Thanks for the info. Also what happened to that MCW list that sdners were going to be a part of where we would be emialed and where we can know each other before school starts. nice run on sentance :laugh:

lisita923 said:
Hey all, does anyone know if MCW is open on the weekends so I could stop by and look at the roommate questionaires people filled out? I'd feel better knowing a little more about people before I contact them to be my roommate. And if it is, where would the binder be that contains the questionnaires? Thanks much!

This is from their website:
There is a Housing Listings Blinder which contains listings of available apartments and listings of medical students looking for roommates. This book is located in the Office of Student Affairs (third floor) during working hours and at the Security Desk (first floor) on week-ends from June-Mid August.

Does anyone know the general time frame for the white coat ceremony? I know they haven't decided on a date yet, but is it usually during orientation, after classes start?

your doc said:
Also what happened to that MCW list that sdners were going to be a part of where we would be emialed and where we can know each other before school starts. nice run on sentance :laugh:

I'm still holding it hostage for a little bit to see if there's any waitlist movement. If you guys want, I can release it now. Should I? I think we have just over 15 people on it. Plenty to get something together before orientation.

Also by the way, I'll most likely be living in the Normandy Village apartments for anyone that's interested.

EvoDevo said:
Moving to the Allopathic forum. Congrats guys! :)

I feel like a grownup now! Do we have to wait until our first day of classes to call ourselves "real" medical students?

ZappBrannigan said:
Does anyone know the general time frame for the white coat ceremony? I know they haven't decided on a date yet, but is it usually during orientation, after classes start?

Shhh...I didn't tell you this, but my sources say that the White Coat Ceremony will be on the Friday, August 12th from 2:30 to about 4:30 p.m.

DoctorFunk said:
Shhh...I didn't tell you this, but my sources say that the White Coat Ceremony will be on the Friday, August 12th from 2:30 to about 4:30 p.m.

Thanks

your doc said:
So have all of you allready signed your leases. Are there any condominiums or town houses close to MCW for sale. Do you know how much they run at and where I should look to find them. Thanks for the info. Also what happened to that MCW list that sdners were going to be a part of where we would be emialed and where we can know each other before school starts. nice run on sentance :laugh:

condos that i have been looking at are around 100,000 for 2br and 2ba plus 200 a month for condo fees and 1500 for prop tax a year. I think i am going to go with a small house...no monthly fees and its easier to sell.

For those of you who have received your financial aid letter, is the initial distribution going to be enough considering we can only get 9000 until we talk to the advisors at orientation...thats not even enough to pay the semesters tution. Will they have enough time to add the 10k to the initial aid distribution in the time between orientation and the first financial aid payment.

pratik7 said:
For those of you who have received your financial aid letter, is the initial distribution going to be enough considering we can only get 9000 until we talk to the advisors at orientation...thats not even enough to pay the semesters tution. Will they have enough time to add the 10k to the initial aid distribution in the time between orientation and the first financial aid payment.

They'll give you all your money, don't worry about it. You won't get your extra cash until Sep 1 (or something like that, they'll tell you), but you won't have to pony up any cash if you're using 100 % loans.

Xandie said:
They'll give you all your money, don't worry about it. You won't get your extra cash until Sep 1 (or something like that, they'll tell you), but you won't have to pony up any cash if you're using 100 % loans.

Thanks, I was wondering the same thing, although my letter says I can take out 18,500 without scheduling an appointment (full subsidized, only 10,000 unsubsidized). Why the difference?

Do all the banks take the 3% origination fee from your loans? :mad:

pratik7 said:
Do all the banks take the 3% origination fee from your loans? :mad:

I don't think the banks that MCW recommends take the 3%. I was under the impression you get it without anything being taken off.

Good news: Got my apartment at Normandy Village all squared away. One of the nicest spots in the complex...view of the outdoor pool!!

Secondly, for anybody that knows: I heard a little about the "wet labs" that involve doing stuff on dogs or other animals. What kind of stuff do you do?

Andy15430 said:
I doubt there are bike lockers...that's not something you run across too often in WI. I'm sure there is a bike rack, though.

There's a pretty big parking lot that I think is specifically for students. If you drove to the interview it's the one they told us to park in. I didn't have a problem finding a spot. It's about a block and a half from the school, which is a lot shorter hike than the one I had to take from the lot I parked in when I worked at Froedtert Hospital!

I'm going down to Milwaukee (from Madison) to look at some apartments tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Bad news about the parking...They tore down the visitor's parking lot to make room for a new research center, so med students now have to park in B lot (not lot C, where you probably parked for interviews). It's a good 10 minute (15 min if you have to cut through Froedtert on those cold winter days) hike to the school. Fortunately, a shuttle runs every 10 minutes to and from the lot, but this is only in the morning and late afternoon.