Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend a Dec. sub-I. Could cut into your interviewing quite a bit, especially if surgery is one of those specialties that tend to do fewer interview dates with a large number of candidates. Looks to me like you either switch to a FP or Peds sub-I and see what months are available for that, or suck it up and do an April med sub-I.
there's only one April sub-I available, and that was my vacation month, in which I intended to go to Europe...

I really don't want to have 3 months of vacation in a row. I think I'd be bored to tears...

there's only one April sub-I available, and that was my vacation month, in which I intended to go to Europe...

I really don't want to have 3 months of vacation in a row. I think I'd be bored to tears...

I think you take a Nov. and Jan. vacation and then shift your rotations so you do Rads in December (in that rotation it should be easy to go to interviews) and then do a Feb. or March vacation and go to Europe. Regardless of what you choose, make sure any rotation you do during the period between Nov. and Jan. is a joke when it comes to hours and your ability to take time off. There's a reason no one wants to do sub-Is during those months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you take a Nov. and Jan. vacation and then shift your rotations so you do Rads in December (in that rotation it should be easy to go to interviews) and then do a Feb. or March vacation and go to Europe. Regardless of what you choose, make sure any rotation you do during the period between Nov. and Jan. is a joke when it comes to hours and your ability to take time off. There's a reason no one wants to do sub-Is during those months.
guys, unless I land the one slot in April, it has to be in December/January. it looks like i'm up **** creek either way.

guys, unless I land the one slot in April, it has to be in December/January. it looks like i'm up **** creek either way.

Don't be afraid to shift around your other rotations and/or switch rotations to make sure your sub-Is are on months you prefer. You also didn't mention what the situation is for the Family Practice or Peds sub-Is yet. You need to keep an open mind and reach a zen-like indifference to your education (because, really, nobody learns anything in 4th year after September) in order to achieve the ultimate slacker schedule.

Don't be afraid to shift around your other rotations and/or switch rotations to make sure your sub-Is are on months you prefer. You also didn't mention what the situation is for the Family Practice or Peds sub-Is yet. You need to keep an open mind and reach a zen-like indifference to your education (because, really, nobody learns anything in 4th year after September) in order to achieve the ultimate slacker schedule.

That's such an unprofessional attitude.

That's such an unprofessional attitude.

Totally. You should've totally worked your butt off for a Pass like I did for my medicine sub-I. It wasn't until the grade came out that I was told I "need to work on the assessment." My mid-clerkship eval was "You're doing great! You work hard, are on top of things, and care for your patients. Keep on doing what you're doing!"

I don't remember exactly, but there were almost no openings in FP or peds, and if there were, they were Dec/Jan/April.

I don't remember exactly, but there were almost no openings in FP or peds, and if there were, they were Dec/Jan/April.

Yuck. Did you piss off the lottery gods or something?

Yuck. Did you piss off the lottery gods or something?
eh, I got my first choices for most other stuff. I got my second choice integrated selective, but in the month that I really needed it in. I'm going to give some of the surgeons a call and see what the most common interview months are.

Congratulations, Dr. Agent Splat, Dr. Ashers, Dr. DoctorFunk, Dr. akpete, Dr. Gimlet, Dr. pratik7, and the starter of this thread, Dr. Code Brown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Still feel like I did in high school, and I'm probably more immature now. I want to know my schedule!
any B-OSCE advice?

wash hands
HPI
PMH
PSH
meds
allergies
FH
SH
complete sexual history on all patients

any B-OSCE advice?

wash hands
HPI
PMH
PSH
meds
allergies
FH
SH
complete sexual history on all patients

-Have a good general yet comprehensive ROS that you can run through quickly with each patient to catch any of the other questions that you should have thought to ask.
-Definitely don't blow this test off...the consequences won't be as severe becaused they changed the policies related to a failing grade last year, but it will still feel like a living hell for a while if you fail, I'm sure.

-Have a good general yet comprehensive ROS that you can run through quickly with each patient to catch any of the other questions that you should have thought to ask.
Yeah, I'm looking at some Step 2 CS prep materials, and I'm getting that vibe.

Yeah, I'm looking at some Step 2 CS prep materials, and I'm getting that vibe.

Not so much on the BOSCE, but definitely be ready to spare an extra 20 seconds to give every patient on step 2 CS "advice," because if you ask the right questions you'll find out they're all doing something naughty, like smoking cigarettes or having unprotected sex with hookers. And you'll have to be the man and tell them to knock that crap off.

jeezus, i definitely failed the bosce. You all (entire student body) should expect an email from me pretty soon after I get my failing score back.

jeezus, i definitely failed the bosce. You all (entire student body) should expect an email from me pretty soon after I get my failing score back.

You probably didn't. I wonder how they're grading it this year.

People you think who should've failed it don't, and people you think shouldn't've failed it do.

You probably didn't. I wonder how they're grading it this year.

People you think who should've failed it don't, and people you think shouldn't've failed it do.

And people that legally aren't allowed to take it somehow made high honors.

Congrats to the new doctors. Remember when you were an M1 in anatomy lab, and Kolesari would explain stuff to you then call you "doctor"? Now it is real! Whooo!

I definitely didn't think that I failed the BOSCE and got a surprise at the end of June. Step 2 CS, I thought I failed for sure and wound up passing. So I guess Indo is in the right frame of mind to pass, at least.

I definitely didn't think that I failed the BOSCE and got a surprise at the end of June. Step 2 CS, I thought I failed for sure and wound up passing. So I guess Indo is in the right frame of mind to pass, at least.

Same here. I kept saying I'd be one of the ones to fail though, just because I'm an eternal pessimist for all exams.

whoa, you and Ashers failed? Ack. I don't think I failed, but I certainly didn't impress anyone.

I almost had a nightmare flashback to the BOSCE when Ashers and I wandered over there thinking our ACLS class was near the STAR center today.

Then we realized that we're doctors and, well, didn't have to take it.

Suckers!!!!! (good luck)