Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cram during one of my last full summers in the foreseeable future. :rolleyes: I think not. Hopefully it won't come back to bite me in the a$$. I'll let you know in a few months. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to let you all know that while Orientation Week starts August 8th, the Orientation Committee will start having events every evening (hopefully) the week before (so starting August 1st). We're thinking of renting out a bowling alley, going to a Brewer's game, and other fun stuff.

If you're around, you should definetely come out. It's a great opportunity to meet other classmates and also some of the M-2s, who can be great resources. We'll start emailing probably the last week of July, so you'll get to play with us in less than two months! Yay! (I'm feigning enthusiam for you guys... one final down (CTB, known in the outisde world as histo) and two to go (Phys and Neuro)).

Bring it. :)

Ok, I am a dork. I really want a MCW sweatshirt before August! However, I live in Colorado, so I cannot exactly pop into the bookstore and pick one up. Are the any websites (besides Matthews-MCW bookstore) that sell them?

Help me, thanks!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
In the packet of information admissions sent us last week there was an order form for our white coats. Based on the size chart, I'm at the top end of the Medium size. I'm thinking I might want to go a size larger to accommodate all the stuff I'll need to jam in my pockets on rotations (and in case I get fat during school :D ), but I don't want to look silly if I'm drowning in my coat. Any recommendations, Xandie or Hawkeye?

(I realize this is a trivial matter, but I get sad when no one posts on this thread for a while. :( )

Andy15430 said:
In the packet of information admissions sent us last week there was an order form for our white coats. Based on the size chart, I'm at the top end of the Medium size. I'm thinking I might want to go a size larger to accommodate all the stuff I'll need to jam in my pockets on rotations (and in case I get fat during school :D ), but I don't want to look silly if I'm drowning in my coat. Any recommendations, Xandie or Hawkeye?

(I realize this is a trivial matter, but I get sad when no one posts on this thread for a while. :( )

Go up a size. That way, in the winter, if you're wearing a sweater or something, you won't look ridiculous. (Keep in mind that NO ONE ever buttons their white coat.)

I don't know where to get a MCW sweatshirt other than the bookstore. You could call them though.

Andy15430 said:

This is sooooo not trivial, since you'll live in your white coat third and fourth years (well, it's not trivial as long as you stay the same size btn now and then). i would definitely recommend going big. you'll be lugging stuff around, you'll put it on/take it off a lot, you'll have to be able to move freely...just go big. also, if you're taller, i've found that the sleeves are kinda short (i got the bigger size b/c of this and the sleeves were still short). besides, i'm already on my second white coat (one too many blood/coffee/pen stains). hope this helps. T

I am officially a Milwaukee resident.

Code Brown said:
I am officially a Milwaukee resident.

Your complimentary beer, brats, and blood pressure medicine are in the mail as we speak. ;)

DoctorFunk said:
Your complimentary beer, brats, and blood pressure medicine are in the mail as we speak. ;)
That is one hell of a welcoming package, I can't wait. :D

DoctorFunk said:

Drop it off when you move into the Underwood Station. We'll be living there as well instead of at the Overlook. On the 4th floor. We'll have to call ourselves the MCW Choo Choo Crew. :D

Code Brown said:
We'll have to call ourselves the MCW Choo Choo Crew. :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Code Brown said:
Drop it off when you move into the Underwood Station. We'll be living there as well instead of at the Overlook. On the 4th floor. We'll have to call ourselves the MCW Choo Choo Crew. :D

Aw yeah! Life in the penthouse for you, huh? We're gonna be on the 2nd floor starting July 31st...let the MCW Choo Choo Crew party begin! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a reminder that if you haven't sent me a PM with your contact information yet and want to be on the entering class MCW contact list so we can be in touch, please do so!! So far people are giving me real names, AOL Instant Messenger names, email addresses, and phone numbers. Anything else you want to share is optiona.

I currently have information for the following folks shown below....

If you have a * before your name, I don't have an email address for you on the list, and would appreciate having one if you're willing (that way I can email the list to everybody when it's done).

If you have a ** before your name, you gave me what looks like a school email address and I want to be sure it will still be active when everybody has the list. If you have a more "permanent" email address you want on the list that will remain active, please do so! So see if you're in the list below (I'm just giving screen names here so we know who's on board).

Agent Splat
**Zman8602
**DoctorFunk
*YzIa
guitarguy09
*DrOwen
dbutz02
Code Brown
GATORade
pratik7
**Stank811
mcjay
**flagirl
Andy15430
**lisita923

Keep in touch! I'm not going to send out the list until there's some waitlist movement...anybody have an idea how long I should wait so we can get more people on the list?

Someone keeps asking if we got our financial aid packets and yes I just recieved mine this week. They are predicting that school should cost about $38000 total (including health care and housing). Pretty cheap compared to the other schools I was looking at (GW, Temple, Iowa) they all had tuiton starting at $38,000. Anyway on your financial aid packet they will let you know about any scholarships they have awarded you. I suggest going on the internet and looking up any and all scholarships. I found a few good websites and they say thousands of scholarships go unclaimed every year. You never know and every bit helps.

DoctorFunk said:
Aw yeah! Life in the penthouse for you, huh? We're gonna be on the 2nd floor starting July 31st...let the MCW Choo Choo Crew party begin! :cool:

We enjoy the long elevator rides :D .

After two nights in this place, we've come to realize that the train is something that does not wake us up in the middle of the night (we face away from the train). This is despite the fact that I am a very light sleeper. So for anyone looking to live here, it's pretty good.

Code Brown said:
We enjoy the long elevator rides :D .

After two nights in this place, we've come to realize that the train is something that does not wake us up in the middle of the night (we face away from the train). This is despite the fact that I am a very light sleeper. So for anyone looking to live here, it's pretty good.
How far from the campus is this complex?
Nevermind, I found the information from previous posts. A bit on the expensive side. :( What is the onsite fitness center made up of?

YzIa said:
How far from the campus is this complex?
Nevermind, I found the information from previous posts. A bit on the expensive side. :( What is the onsite fitness center made up of?

Nothing yet, the stuff is coming in on Tuesday. I'll let you know then. Keep in mind, the rent includes cable (74 channels) which is about $45 if you were to get it yourself. You also get a washer and dryer in each unit which will save you some money each as well.

The complex is only a 2-3 minute drive (10 minute bike ride) from MCW. It's right off 115th and Watertown Plank Drive.

Does anyone know approximately how far West Allis is to MCW? also how is public transportation? Is a car a necessity?

thanks for your input

one more individual coming to MCW

hope to see you guys soon :cool:

I was also considering living in west allis....it is about 7-10 mins (3 miles) from campus. Dont know about public transportation

medfun said:
Does anyone know approximately how far West Allis is to MCW? also how is public transportation? Is a car a necessity?

thanks for your input

There are a few people who take the bus that I know of, but it's not a popular mode of transport.

The MCTS website is here: http://www.ridemcts.com/

There are lots of people that live in West Allis though!

A bunch of us were chatting the other night about how excited we are to have the new M-1s around... you do get sick of seeing the same people all the time.

Xandie said:
A bunch of us were chatting the other night about how excited we are to have the new M-1s around... you do get sick of seeing the same people all the time.

What? I was hoping for standard first-year hazing and getting shoved into a locker every morning.

At least tape "kick me" signs to our backs for a couple weeks.

Agent Splat said:
What? I was hoping for standard first-year hazing and getting shoved into a locker every morning.

At least tape "kick me" signs to our backs for a couple weeks.

I'll talk to the "cool kids" (dumb thing, long story) and see if I can't arrange a little hazing.

pratik7 said:
Can i request a swirly in the toilet?

Your request has been received and will be processed as soon as possible. Unfortunately, call volume is high right now, as everyone on the waitlist is calling 4 times a day to see if they've moved up yet. Maybe Xandie can ask Dr. Haldemann to include something like this in the orientation schedule...it wouldn't be any less useful than most of the other stuff. Oh, wait, I'm sorry, the hour-long introduction to the MCW Libraries electronic card catalog was incredibly helpful (I think they've axed that now, though). :rolleyes:

Hawkeye Kid said:
Your request has been received and will be processed as soon as possible. Unfortunately, call volume is high right now, as everyone on the waitlist is calling 4 times a day to see if they've moved up yet. Maybe Xandie can ask Dr. Haldemann to include something like this in the orientation schedule...it wouldn't be any less useful than most of the other stuff. Oh, wait, I'm sorry, the hour-long introduction to the MCW Libraries electronic card catalog was incredibly helpful (I think they've axed that now, though). :rolleyes:

Yeah, we've removed that one. There is a thirty-minute intro to ANGEL though... gotta love it.

Xandie said:
Yeah, we've removed that one. There is a thirty-minute intro to ANGEL though... gotta love it.

That's good, because aside from voting for stuff, I have absolutely no idea what to do with ANGEL. There's so much stuff on it, but I don't understand the point of 90% of it. Maybe there's more useful stuff for M1/2s?

Hawkeye Kid said:
That's good, because aside from voting for stuff, I have absolutely no idea what to do with ANGEL. There's so much stuff on it, but I don't understand the point of 90% of it. Maybe there's more useful stuff for M1/2s?

Oh yeah, we use it for tests (phys, CTB, etc) and getting some of our grades (waaay nicer than rubbing elbows in the Stavri hallway. It's also got all of the student organization stuff on it, and the lunch calendar. (Oh, the fabulous free lunches).

Xandie said:
I'll talk to the "cool kids" (dumb thing, long story) and see if I can't arrange a little hazing.

Can I be a cool kid?

On a more serious yet cheaper note, do we really get free lunches? :hardy:

GATORade said:
Can I be a cool kid?

On a more serious yet cheaper note, do we really get free lunches? :hardy:

During the first two weeks of classes, there will be a student organization sponsoring a "recruitment lunch" each day. The big groups, as well as the small groups, each get a chance to explain their organization to the M-1s.

Hang on, let me back up. Have you guys gotten your organization schedules yet? On Tuesday of Orientation week, there's a Organization Fair where all of the stu orgs send a representative or two to "man" a table, hand out cookies or donuts or whatever, and explain their organization as M-1s meander by for free food. If you look hard, and you haven't met me yet, you'll find me there, behind the JSU (Jewish Student Union) table handing out macaroons, or running around like a chicken with my head cut off since I'm the fair coordinator.

Then come the lunches. Then, on August 26th (I think), we're going to have a sign-up day/fair/party in the computer lab, where you can sign up for classes.

Why all the rigamarole, you ask? Because due-charging organizations aren't allowed to bully new M-1s into joining, and it gives you guys a chance to really see what the options are.

So there, a long diatribe on something you probably aren't that interested in. I'm so happy to be done with the year that I'm a little verbose.

Any other questions about orientation, I've got the inside scoop. (or something).

For those of you who live in the Milwaukee area, what's the cheapest place to buy groceries?

We did our bulk shopping at Sam's Club (since there is no Costco here) and it seemed about the same as Costco. Great for bulk items. Is there anything else like that here?

As for the stuff that Sam's Club doesn't carry, what do you recommend? The stores we've run across incliude Sentry, Pick'N'Save and Jewel Osco. Which one is the cheapest?

Thanks!

Ok, since we sold all of our furniture before we moved out here, and living out of boxes is not going to happen, where do you recommend we buy furniture?

This is what we have run across so far:

Office Depot (on Bluemound in Brookfield)- Great place to buy a desk. We bought a sweet desk with matching file cabinet and a matching wall unit for $108 on clearance. Yup, just over a hundered bucks. :thumbup:

Boston Store (on Bluemound in Brookfield)- Break out the Platinum Amex for this one. More expensive than Crate and Barrel or Pier 1 (ie. couch for $2500 and dining room tables for $1000.) :thumbdown:

Colder's (Mayfair and I-94 area) - OK pricing, although bargains are hard to find. We were looking to get a bedroom set for around $800. :thumbup:

Ashley Furniture (Franklin or Pewaukee) - Same as Colder's. OK Pricing. Bedroom set for around $800 and decent couches for $400-500. :thumbup:

Steinhafel's (Capital and 84th St) - More expensive than Colder's and Ashley but have the same stuff. They even sell Ashley brand furniture. :thumbdown:

HOBO (Mayfair and I-94 area) - Can find some really good bargains. We found a kitchen table with 4 chairs for $169 that we might get. Check this place out. :thumbup: :thumbup:

OfficeMax (on Bluemound in Brookfield)- Bad selection and Office Depot is cheaper. :thumbdown:

JC Penny Furniture Outlet (Burleigh and 121st St?) - Lots of stuff although it looks like many of the items are returns being re-sold. Pricing is pretty cheap too with everything being sold at 50% off of the regular store price. :thumbup:

Any other place to go?

Code Brown said:
For those of you who live in the Milwaukee area, what's the cheapest place to buy groceries?

We did our bulk shopping at Sam's Club (since there is no Costco here) and it seemed about the same as Costco. Great for bulk items. Is there anything else like that here?

As for the stuff that Sam's Club doesn't carry, what do you recommend? The stores we've run across incliude Sentry, Pick'N'Save and Jewel Osco. Which one is the cheapest?

Thanks!

Yes, Sam's Club = Costco. In fact, one of my roommates still calls it Costco--even after three years of living here. As for regular grocery stores, most people that I know go to Pick N Save (they're picky, you save...can't beat that). There are lots in the area, and they're open good hours.

As for the free grub--yes, there's free food all the time. You shouldn't pay for lunch the first two weeks of classes. Then, different orgs will have speakers periodically with free food...just don't be one of the cheapskates that comes in, gets food and then leaves w/o listening to the speaker. Those people piss me off (you know who you are...)

Anyhoo, that's that. Glad to hear things are going well for y'all. Take care. T

What's the deal with Summerfest?

Lots of music, lots of beer. That's about it. Oh, and more beer.

I shouldn't talk, I've only gone once and only stayed long enough for one concert.

But yes, if you like concerts, definitely check out the lineups for favorite bigger name and lesser known bands.

Summerfest is the largest music festival in the world (I'm not sure if this is in terms of attendance, number of concerts, length, or what), so you can imagine that this is pretty much the biggest thing that happens in Milwaukee all year. There's 11 stages with bands playing constantly, so you're almost guaranteed to be able to find something you're interested in listening to. Your admission to Summerfest gives you access to all the stages except for the headliner playing each night at the Marcus Amphitheater. That you have to buy a separate ticket for.

Like Agent Splat said, there's lots of [overpriced] beer. Also lots of drunk people. The crowds get pretty ridiculous, especially on the weekends - pretty much elbow to elbow. That said, you should definitely check it out at least once. Try going on a weekday when there's a band playing you might want to see. The 4th of July fireworks are amazing, too, but that also draws the biggest crowds.

Summerfest Website

If you like Celtic music, the Milwaukee Irishfest is also the biggest of its kind anywhere. Same park, different music, slightly less dense crowds. And there's always something a little unexpected. Last year I saw a woman in a Celtic rock band play the entire drum solo from "Wipeout!" just on a bodhrain.

Andy15430 said:
Also lots of drunk people.

You're in Milwaukee. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Summerfest is a very good time if you are a music lover. Find a bus stop nearby and take the bus down to the festival grounds - easiest way to get down there. Make time to see it once - you'll enjoy it :)

If I recall correctly, the year I went there was a shuttle pick up in a parking lot right near MCW for Summerfest. If you're interested in going, see if that's still there, as it would be convenient and easy rather than fussing with parking elsewhere.

Has anybody received any financial aid packages from MCW yet? If so how did they look? If not, what can we expect in the form of scholarship? Does anyone know how difficult it is to become a WI resident?

medfun said:
Has anybody received any financial aid packages from MCW yet? If so how did they look? If not, what can we expect in the form of scholarship? Does anyone know how difficult it is to become a WI resident?
If you are not already a resident before starting school, you won't be able to become one.

As far as scholarships, I remember being told not to expect much/anything, but I have not received a package yet.

On another note, the roommate list came out today. Pretty small list given the class size.

Agent Splat said:
Keep in touch! I'm not going to send out the list until there's some waitlist movement...anybody have an idea how long I should wait so we can get more people on the list?

Well, I called and got my rank on May 19, and then called again last Thursday (May 26), and my ranking hadn't changed at all. So I'm wondering if the committee has to meet yet or something. Did get an email ~ May 16 saying that they for sure would use the waitlist this year. Xandie or Hawkeye, maybe you guys know. How does the separate in-state vs. out-of-state waitlists work? Does one go before the other?

akpete said:
How does the separate in-state vs. out-of-state waitlists work? Does one go before the other?
While I'm not in the loop, from what I gathered from other schools, is after the buffer of over accepted students is depleted, they will dip into the waitlists. Everytime an instate drops, one from the instate list will be accepted... same for out of state.

I assume its as simple as that. As for which moves faster, I would guess out of state unless they over accept more out of state applicants knowing that more will decine at some point.

YzIa said:
On another note, the roommate list came out today. Pretty small list given the class size.

No offense to everyone here...but I've done the roommate thing for five years...never again!!!!

Roommate 1: Beer bongs in the dorm room, used my scanner to make fake IDs. Wet the bed after he overhydrated to prevent a hangover.

Roommate 2: World's worst Body Odor...had to leave a window open in sub-zero temperatures. Very nosy.

Roommate 3: Actually not too bad, I'd live with him again if I had to.

Roommate 4: Quiet but nice, though he didn't wash hands after going to the bathroom, and then he would change my Brita pitcher's filter. Ick.

Roommate 5: Worst of all. Never talked, washed his dishes about 4 times the entire year, never left his bedroom or went to class.

yeah, I was randomly assigned a roommate every year.

This was just an excuse to vent. Sorry!

Agent Splat said:
No offense to everyone here...but I've done the roommate thing for five years...never again!!!!

Roommate 1: Beer bongs in the dorm room, used my scanner to make fake IDs. Wet the bed after he overhydrated to prevent a hangover.

Roommate 2: World's worst Body Odor...had to leave a window open in sub-zero temperatures. Very nosy.

Roommate 3: Actually not too bad, I'd live with him again if I had to.

Roommate 4: Quiet but nice, though he didn't wash hands after going to the bathroom, and then he would change my Brita pitcher's filter. Ick.

Roommate 5: Worst of all. Never talked, washed his dishes about 4 times the entire year, never left his bedroom or went to class.

yeah, I was randomly assigned a roommate every year.

This was just an excuse to vent. Sorry!

I certainly hope that medical students are a better pool to select from than your university had! Anyway, I don't know anyone who will be an M1 at MCW this year so I am at the mercy of the random list.

First, YzIa was absolutely right (from what I understand) about the waitlists. That being said, I think that this is the first year they haven't held closely to the 50 % in-state thing (don't all jump down my throat if I'm wrong).

Second, about roommates. If you're in town, there are roommate posters on some of the bulletin boards around school. It might be easier to live with an M-2 or M-3, since they're (theoretically) more mature.

Xandie said:
That being said, I think that this is the first year they haven't held closely to the 50 % in-state thing (don't all jump down my throat if I'm wrong).
Are you saying there will be less than ~50% instate this year?

And does that mean that my waitlist chances have gone down a lot? I'm #20 on the instate list.