Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are the specialty interest groups the only, or should I say best way to set up shadowing? In terms of the AIG, I want to shadow a CCM specialized gas doc. Possible? Crazy? What are your thoughts?

No problem...have Nate or one of the VPs of the AIG hook you up with Dr. Dolinski. She's double boarded in IM and Anesthesiology, and also does CCM. She spends a week or so each month in either the MICU at Froedtert or the SICU at the VA. I think she was just on-service at Froedtert, so it might be a while before she's back in the ICU again, if that's what you're looking to experience. I shadowed Dr. Dolinski a couple of times during my first year, and credit her in part with my decision to go into anesthesiology. She's my advisor now, too.

You're free to set up your own shadowing experience, it's just that the interest groups have established connections and procedures for setting up shadowing, so you won't accidentally tick anyone off if you go through that route.

Members don't see this ad.

don't shadow. That is wasting your precious sleep time. You'll get a whole month of anesthesiolgy soon.

don't shadow. That is wasting your precious sleep time. You'll get a whole month of anesthesiolgy soon.

I can't deny that Indo has a point, but I still think it's a worthwhile experience. This is going to sound lame, but my two shadowing experiences during 1st year really served to energize my interest in the field and also gave me something to look forward to while I was contemplating ending it all during the umpteenth hour of studying biochem or neuroscience. Having that experience motivated me to do well in school.

You don't have to shadow for a whole day or night, either. I came in from 7-11 PM one night, and also did a daytime experience from about 7-Noon. (Hint: don't use the word "shift" around Dolinski - she takes umbrage at the notion of anesthesiology being shiftwork).

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't deny that Indo has a point, but I still think it's a worthwhile experience. This is going to sound lame, but my two shadowing experiences during 1st year really served to energize my interest in the field and also gave me something to look forward to while I was contemplating ending it all during the umpteenth hour of studying biochem or neuroscience. Having that experience motivated me to do well in school.

You don't have to shadow for a whole day or night, either. I came in from 7-11 PM one night, and also did a daytime experience from about 7-Noon. (Hint: don't use the word "shift" around Dolinski - she takes umbrage at the notion of anesthesiology being shiftwork).

Oh yeah...I guess I was thinking of shadowing from my perspective in 3rd year. During 1st and 2nd year shadowing my actually give you the will to keep studying.

other than the required clinical continuum stuff, I only shadowed once, but it was with Dr. Brasel on trauma surgery. I came in on a Friday night, and we got a pretty good trauma. It was over spring break, so it was a good time, and it definitely gives you a little something to look forward to.

Well, this has been a productive trip to Florida, medically-speaking. Not only was I able to interview at UF, but I also:

-Watched paramedics code a lady who choked on a piece of food at a restaurant for 35 minutes. Thank God there were two EMTs eating there to [unsuccessfully] give her the Heimlich and then start CPR or I would have had to get involved. They were giving rescue breaths against an obstructed airway with no mouth shield. Pretty sure she didn't make it.

-Take my in-laws' neighbor who has Alzheimer's to the hospital after her AAA started showering emboli into her legs, causing both feet to start necrosing. She finally said something to my mother-in-law after all her toes were black.

-Send another one of my in-laws' octagenarian neighbors to the ED after he fell off his bicycle and onto his head in front of their condo. He was pretty scratched and cut-up, but was ready to go home and tend to his wounds by himself. I talked him into letting us take him in to get looked at, and it turned out he had a nice little subdural hemorrhage and basilar skull fracture, buying him an admission to the ICU. He's been intermittently delirious since the car ride to the hospital.

Last edited:
Lipid Panel Results are in!!!

Total Cholesterol 245 (was 236)
Triglycerides 102 (was 115)
HDL 48 (was 41)
LDL 177 (was 172)

In terms of overall closeness, where I created a composite score of difference from actual in which the overall lowest score wins, our winner is the one who wanted to guess no change....

akpete!!!!!! Congratulations and feel free to collect your big, mofo hug next time you see me. Special bonus "nod of recognition"goes to yeasterbunny for correctly guessing my triglycerides. Feel free to collect your "nod of recognition" next time we pass eachother. No talking allowed.

Thanks for playing. Freaks.

Lipid Panel Results are in!!!

Total Cholesterol 245 (was 236)
Triglycerides 102 (was 115)
HDL 48 (was 41)
LDL 177 (was 172)

In terms of overall closeness, where I created a composite score of difference from actual in which the overall lowest score wins, our winner is the one who wanted to guess no change....

akpete!!!!!! Congratulations and feel free to collect your big, mofo hug next time you see me. Special bonus "nod of recognition"goes to yeasterbunny for correctly guessing my triglycerides. Feel free to collect your "nod of recognition" next time we pass eachother. No talking allowed.

Thanks for playing. Freaks.

Freaks, huh? Tell me honestly, did you use a spreadsheet to tally up the points?

Freaks, huh? Tell me honestly, did you use a spreadsheet to tally up the points?

Only a freak would have even thought of that. I did it by hand and in my head, the GENIUS way!!! :prof:

You're just jealous cause you didn't win a big, mofo hug. If you want one that badly, I'll gladly sell you one for $19.95 plus s/h.

HAHA! I didn't know that existed. I guess I never looked in the "more" link.

It looks like he's saying "Ta-da!"

it must be relatively new, because I swear I haven't seen it in there before.

Yes!! Victory is mine!!! :D

Hopefully I'll be able to collect my big mofo hug soon, but interviewing may get in the way.

CS on tues.
fly to NYC on thurs
get back on sat
go to chicago on sun
come back on 11th
go to michigan on 12th
get back on 14th
MCW interview on 16th
go to st louis on 18th
ck on 23rd

wow, that schedule kinda sucks, and yet is good for matching i guess.

Hopefully I'll be able to collect my big mofo hug soon, but interviewing may get in the way.

CS on tues.
fly to NYC on thurs
get back on sat
go to chicago on sun
come back on 11th
go to michigan on 12th
get back on 14th
MCW interview on 16th
go to st louis on 18th
ck on 23rd

That's pretty much how my November looked....it didn't suck nearly as much as I thought (although I thought it was going to suck A LOT). I fully utilized my chilling-in-hotel-room time, though, which helped me feel relaxed enough to still believe I was on vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)

CS on tues.
fly to NYC on thurs
get back on sat
go to chicago on sun
come back on 11th
go to michigan on 12th
get back on 14th
MCW interview on 16th
go to st louis on 18th
ck on 23rd

you're driving to all of those except NYC?

you're driving to all of those except NYC?

yup. well, probably taking train or bus to chicago.

During interview process will fly to NYC twice, CA twice (with an additional flight from SF to LA), DC, and North Carolina. Drive to everything else.

I hate flying. I envision my death every time I board a plane. I figure I have a 50/50 shot of dying - either the plane will go down or not.

So far I'm flying to everything, with the exception of maybe driving between 2 where it only takes 5.5 hours to drive, and most flights would take 9.5 hours with connections.

yup. well, probably taking train or bus to chicago.

During interview process will fly to NYC twice, CA twice (with an additional flight from SF to LA), DC, and North Carolina. Drive to everything else.

I hate flying. I envision my death every time I board a plane. I figure I have a 50/50 shot of dying - either the plane will go down or not.
I love flying, but the wait time to get on a plane is getting worse. I wish I could just show up and walk on.

I love flying, but the wait time to get on a plane is getting worse. I wish I could just show up and walk on.

I've been doing well with getting to the airport about 45 min. before my flight (I only do this with early morning flights, since the security lines won't have built up by then.) By the time I get to the gate they're usually just about to start loading passengers.

I'll have a total of 4 flights for interview trips (including the one to FL where I already had my tickets to go visit the in-laws). I did a pretty good job of scheduling things regionally to minimize flights back and forth to the same area of the country, although with the price of car rentals I'm not sure that I'm winding up saving much money over flying to each program individually.

I get so bored flying -- if I'm traveling by myself. I have to take my carry ons with me everywhere. There's no one to talk to. Flights >1 hour are annoying, and I get antsy after >3.5 hours. The admiral's club gets boring after a while; although, I do like their free internet.

It was great flying home to HI because I'd sometimes have those 8 hour flights, but I could at least knock myself out with benadryl. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to make American Airlines Gold again by February because of all these flights. :D I only need 25,000 miles to renew it, unless I can get to 1,000,000 lifetime American miles, then I'll have lifetime Gold. I only need about 700K more miles to get it.

Done! Man CS sucks - I don't think I even saw 12 pts in one day of clinic during rotations. Now if only I had taken CK last week like I was supposed to.

I have been showing up for my flights about an hour beforehand. Regardless of city or time of day I have not had issues with the security line. Make sure I'm there minimum by 45 minutes cuz I've been checking my bag. Now that most airlines charge, everyone's trying to carry-on everything, and I've been on several flights where the plane is booked and there's not enough room for all the wheeled carry-ons and people are having to check at the gate. I'd rather pay the $15 and not worry about it. I figure there are fewer bags, so they have less a chance of losing it.

Ashers, you get antsy with a 3.5 h flight? Ugh, driving is much worse. Everytime I drive to my mom's, it's 4 hours. At least with flying you can actually do something else in the meantime. Driving all I got is the music.

My favorite airports so far are minneapolis and detroit. Detroit's airport is nicer than the whole city. I've also learned I like sitting back and having an appetizer and a beer between connections.

Done! Man CS sucks - I don't think I even saw 12 pts in one day of clinic during rotations. Now if only I had taken CK last week like I was supposed to.

I have been showing up for my flights about an hour beforehand. Regardless of city or time of day I have not had issues with the security line. Make sure I'm there minimum by 45 minutes cuz I've been checking my bag. Now that most airlines charge, everyone's trying to carry-on everything, and I've been on several flights where the plane is booked and there's not enough room for all the wheeled carry-ons and people are having to check at the gate. I'd rather pay the $15 and not worry about it. I figure there are fewer bags, so they have less a chance of losing it.

Ashers, you get antsy with a 3.5 h flight? Ugh, driving is much worse. Everytime I drive to my mom's, it's 4 hours. At least with flying you can actually do something else in the meantime. Driving all I got is the music.

My favorite airports so far are minneapolis and detroit. Detroit's airport is nicer than the whole city. I've also learned I like sitting back and having an appetizer and a beer between connections.

Congrats!

I may change my CK date, so see if I can take it the day after Christmas in MKE... or is MKE one of the places that doesn't have it on Fridays for some odd reason. I still hope I passed CS.

I'd much rather drive than fly. Flying used to be fun, when I was really little, or when I'm in 1st class, but then I still get bored. (get bumped --> upgrade). 777s aren't too bad when they have individual screens. That way I can watch the progress of the plane on the map thing, and have a choice of watching different stuff. I usually stick with the map though.

Driving you can stop when you get bored, and flying you can't. I basically had to lay out a plan that while it may cost a little tiny bit more for me to drive from Birmingham to Louisville, it'd be so much better because the connection times were better, and I could get in the night before. It only takes 5.5 hours to drive between the two. I'm also contemplating driving out to NYC to visit friends there (I could do it in 1 night if I took a good nap earlier in the day). If they're not too busy with residency.

me and you are opposite. I take as few breaks as possible to get there faster. but yeah, 5.5h drive is not worth a flight.

I better not ever have to take that damned CS again. I might hurt someone.

Probably because of the topic of our most recent conversation. I'm terrified my flights are going to get canceled tonight, so I'm driving to Pittsburgh tonight, then to Rochester, NY on Friday.

9 Hour drive w/o snow, here we come!

Probably because of the topic of our most recent conversation. I'm terrified my flights are going to get canceled tonight, so I'm driving to Pittsburgh tonight, then to Rochester, NY on Friday.

Good luck! Hope you outpace this current snowstorm!

snowstorm? it's just a "winter weather advisory!" I bet by February snowfalls worse than this won't even make the forecast.

Safe drive, Ashers!!!

Doesn't Rochester, NY get a crapload of snow? Well, good luck!

I like the snow. I would rather have the world covered in white than the brown dead plants and grass and trees with no leaves. It looks like christmas outside! :D

I'm assuming my flight at 6am tomorrow won't be an issue. If it is, well, then the snow sucks.

I have been walking home and I like it so far. We'll see how long that lasts.

In November/December it's fun and charming. In January you're indifferent but it starts to be a big nuisance. In February and March it's a pain in the ass. When you get snow into April and May, and yes it does happen, you start to lose your mind a little bit. And you never get that part back. No. You never do.

In November/December it's fun and charming. In January you're indifferent but it starts to be a big nuisance. In February and March it's a pain in the ass. When you get snow into April and May, and yes it does happen, you start to lose your mind a little bit. And you never get that part back. No. You never do.

Damn. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks guys

I was in the storm through Indiana (mostly the sleety edge in Indiana though), and once I got through Indiana/Ohio, I got fully past it.

And since I get flight notifications, I still got those even though I canceled my flights. I would've gotten into the hotel about 30 min later if I took the planes.

Doesn't Rochester, NY get a crapload of snow? Well, good luck!

I like the snow. I would rather have the world covered in white than the brown dead plants and grass and trees with no leaves. It looks like christmas outside! :D

I'm assuming my flight at 6am tomorrow won't be an issue. If it is, well, then the snow sucks.

Yes, Rochester and Syracuse (2 of my interviews) are both in the snowbelt, so my parents started laughing when I got those.

Ideal weather = green all year

Good luck on your interviews! =) (that goes to whoever has them)

other than the required clinical continuum stuff, I only shadowed once, but it was with Dr. Brasel on trauma surgery. I came in on a Friday night, and we got a pretty good trauma. It was over spring break, so it was a good time, and it definitely gives you a little something to look forward to.

What do you think of trauma surgery?

I GOT MY RAZOR BLADES IN THE MAIL TODAY!!!!!! woohoo!!!!

With finals approaching, my mind has become even more twisted than usual. Last night, as I wandered the school in search of sanity outside of my new home, the library, I saw quite a few interviewees leaving from their little pre-interview meet and greet. They all looked so innocent with their carry-on luggage and snappy business casual dress.

So of course I proceeded to imagine how much fun it would be to print up a mock sign directing a few of the interviewees to a nerd room where I would be set up as an interviewer. I could call myself Dr. I.C. Weiner and give them the real lowdown on medicine as seen through the biochemistry-colored lenses of an M1. In short, I would probably make them cry.

So, that's my true confession of what studying for these finals has done to my psyche. Does anyone else care to share with the support group about how you are coping?
So, three years later, how do you feel when you see the M1s studying biochem? :laugh:

ashers, ortho is awesome.

Interviewing for ortho is not awesome though. I had to turn down an offer today because it conflicted with the date that most programs their 1 interview date on.

That is so lame of them. I wonder if it's their way of banding together to limit the competitiveness of the specialty and increase each program's chance of filling? Idea being if you can't schedule a ton of interviews because they're all on the same day, the interviews will be spread around a larger group of applicants. I dunno, maybe that would increase competitiveness...

That is so lame of them. I wonder if it's their way of banding together to limit the competitiveness of the specialty and increase each program's chance of filling? Idea being if you can't schedule a ton of interviews because they're all on the same day, the interviews will be spread around a larger group of applicants. I dunno, maybe that would increase competitiveness...

Perhaps. I've heard some PDs like to force applicants to choose. I'm choosing based on travel plans and where I can relatively easily get between places in a matter of hours (many times) to days.

You guys had a cumulative final for biochem? :eek:

Oh yeah. It was a blast. At least I managed to stay awake through that one.

Yeah, it was horrific. It was like re-taking all three block exams at once. I studied probably 3-4+ hours a day from Thanksgiving break until that test.

wow. so was the class of 2010 the last class to deal with the cumulative biochem nightmare?

What did you guys think of the cumulative anatomy lecture final? Any advice in how to study it besides just going over everything?

wow. so was the class of 2010 the last class to deal with the cumulative biochem nightmare?

What did you guys think of the cumulative anatomy lecture final? Any advice in how to study it besides just going over everything?
1. Yep
2. Easy
3. Oldexamsoldexamsoldexams

They re-use a lot of questions, and I remember them being pretty big on "This defect is due to what lesion" and "This lesion would cause what defect" for arms and legs.

ironic, but the cumulative biochem final was my best test in the class. I got like a 95% on it. but it wasn't enough to make up for the rest of the semester - ended up with pass overall.

for the anatomy final, i spent the night at the 24-hour starbucks.

Yeah, it was horrific. It was like re-taking all three block exams at once. I studied probably 3-4+ hours a day from Thanksgiving break until that test.
How important is biochem for step 1?

I sometimes think that it would be better if biochem and devo were cumulative because I am forgetting things as we go along and rarely have the motivation to study when it is not required for passing the next test.