Official KCOM class of 2012 thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could you email me that booklet, i was accepted last friday but didn't get the rotation book. it is [email protected]
thanks!

You should have it now. The rotation booklet isn't to much different from what is posted online at the KCOM website.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has gotten there username/password to access the student portal? Thanks.

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has gotten there username/password to access the student portal? Thanks.

I haven't recieved anything yet. I have recieved cards from my interviewers saying congrats and hope to see you in my class next year. But nothing besides that. It will be here before we know it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Login stuff will be coming this month from the IT people. At least that's what I was told.

Number 1: Anyone know what cell phone provider is best in Kirksville?
Number 2: Where should i look for housing (i still can't access KCOM's database) besides whats listed on the website? I would like to rent a 2-3 bedroom house. Thanks for any help.

1. I have sprint, and it works great in kirksville. Verizon also works, and alltel does too. Stay away from cingular!!!

2. Look at kirksvillerealty.com or c21kirksville.com. Buying a house could save you some money, that is what I did at the beginning of my graduate program here.

1. I have sprint, and it works great in kirksville. Verizon also works, and alltel does too. Stay away from cingular!!!

2. Look at kirksvillerealty.com or c21kirksville.com. Buying a house could save you some money, that is what I did at the beginning of my graduate program here.

What about T-mobile?
I thought about buying a house but because I will only be in Kirksville for probably 2 years i thought it might me a bad idea. If you leave Kirksville are you going to sell your house or rent it out?

Does anyone know when the White Coat Ceremony is at KCOM this year? Or when classes start? I couldn't find anything in my paperwork or the website.

I know they'll send us all of that info soon enough, but I'm antsy to know when it all happens!!!

Does anyone know when the White Coat Ceremony is at KCOM this year? Or when classes start? I couldn't find anything in my paperwork or the website.

I know they'll send us all of that info soon enough, but I'm antsy to know when it all happens!!!

Based on last year's start date, I am guessing and planning for an August 15th orientation start date, August 16th White Coat date and then classes staring the next week.

I have no idea if this is going to be true, but it is the same weekend as previous years, so it seems like a logical deduction!

Based on last year's start date, I am guessing and planning for an August 15th orientation start date, August 16th White Coat date and then classes staring the next week.

I have no idea if this is going to be true, but it is the same weekend as previous years, so it seems like a logical deduction!

These dates are correct, heard from the admissions staff when I was doing an interview tour thursday.

These dates are correct, heard from the admissions staff when I was doing an interview tour thursday.

SWEET!!!!! I'm so excited! I think I am officially on countdown now!

Hey, just wanted to post on this thread and say hello to everyone. I can't wait to meet all of you come August. I'm looking into buying a house too, so if anyone has good advice please share. Hopefully everyone has the chance to relax before we start the grind.

SWEET!!!!! I'm so excited! I think I am officially on countdown now!

I would do a countdown myself but it's still seven months away... that's kind of depressing.

I'll start one when it gets closer... say, May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my login information. If you haven't checked yet it may be in.

Just received my login information. If you haven't checked yet it may be in.

Ahh! You beat me... I'd thought for sure I'd be the first to mention it on the KCOM thread. ;)

Now I'm off to investigate what all is there for us to access!

So now that we have our login information and access to KCOM "insider" material, I was wondering if anybody knows where to find KCOM's housing database and also if it is updated for 2008? Thanks

It's somewhere in the 'accepted students' section of the website. Go there, then I think there's a link about moving to Kirksville, and somewhere on that page there's a housing link. I think that'll take you to the database.

Don't know if it's updated though.

Is anyone familiar with the President's Leadership Award? I can't find any information about it on the school website. Thanks!

OMG IM IN!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm so excited :clap::biglove::biglove:I HEART KCOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello all -
looking forward to some good discussions in here and meeting all of my classmates come august. anyone else in here from mn? i don't blame you if you're not... see you all in less than 6 months!

OMG IM IN!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm so excited :clap::biglove::biglove:I HEART KCOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats sorry for the late congrats. I am Mark on the facebook, I just thought I would come and give the obligatory SDN congrats. And you're from Chicago!!!? Way to go homegirl.

Here are some congratulatory dancing bananas

:banana::banana::banana:

Here are some congratulatory dancing bananas

:banana::banana::banana:

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couple of lame Qs:
When are the deposits due and how much are they?
When is the first day of class?

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
cant wait to meet you guys!:love:

For most of us the first deposit was $1000, and it was due back in december. Their are two more $500 deposits due in April and May. I'm not sure what your deadline would be. Give 'em a call.

If you haven't already come join our facebook group.:)

I got this email too. It was so exciting to ready. From my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong because I really want some understanding here) we pick a state/region not a hospital, correct. How then does the actual hospital site placement work?

I have my top 3 states picked already but am still curious about the hospital placement!

HD

Hi guys, congratulations and welcome to KCOM. Regarding rotations, you will participate in a match fall of your second year. You will rank your top 6 choices of individual hospitals (not region but actual hospital) and around December will find out where you are assigned.

hello all -
looking forward to some good discussions in here and meeting all of my classmates come august. anyone else in here from mn? i don't blame you if you're not... see you all in less than 6 months!

Hey JMOE!!!!! I am "kinda" from Minnesota! I lived there for 8 years and consider it my home. I want to move back when I am done with Med school, but right now I work at Michigan State. You have no idea how excited I was to learn of the new clinical rotations in St Cloud.

Did you go to the U?

HD

Hi guys, congratulations and welcome to KCOM. Regarding rotations, you will participate in a match fall of your second year. You will rank your top 6 choices of individual hospitals (not region but actual hospital) and around December will find out where you are assigned.

Hey divinity! Thanks for the info! That's even better news that we get to rank hospitals not regions. Did you get your top choice? When I interviewed, they indicated that pretty much everyone got one of their top 3 choices.

did you do any of your rotations at hospitals outside of KCOM's system? If so, how hard was it to get in?

Thanks and congrats on the upcoming graduation!

Hey divinity! Thanks for the info! That's even better news that we get to rank hospitals not regions. Did you get your top choice? When I interviewed, they indicated that pretty much everyone got one of their top 3 choices.

did you do any of your rotations at hospitals outside of KCOM's system? If so, how hard was it to get in?

Thanks and congrats on the upcoming graduation!

I did get my top choice in Michigan. I'm unsure of what you mean by rotations outside of 'KCOM's system'. Do you mean outside of KV, outside of Missouri, or as electives during the 4th year?

As far as how the class does, a rough estimate is 85% get their top choice. If you get 4-6th choice they let you trade. Some people don't match at all and "scramble". These people are very often in a better position as they get to hand pick from unfilled slots. Each site has it's own number of slots, and there are a total of more slots than students, so there is often a nice choice if you're one of the few who don't match. Everyone who scrambled in my class was very happy with where they ended up, and many were actually able to go to some of their top choices.

I did get my top choice in Michigan. I'm unsure of what you mean by rotations outside of 'KCOM's system'. Do you mean outside of KV, outside of Missouri, or as electives during the 4th year?

As far as how the class does, a rough estimate is 85% get their top choice. If you get 4-6th choice they let you trade. Some people don't match at all and "scramble". These people are very often in a better position as they get to hand pick from unfilled slots. Each site has it's own number of slots, and there are a total of more slots than students, so there is often a nice choice if you're one of the few who don't match. Everyone who scrambled in my class was very happy with where they ended up, and many were actually able to go to some of their top choices.

By rotations outside of KCOM's system I was meaning electives in 4th year. Two hospital systems that I am interested in for residency are not affiliated with KCOM (one is DO and one is MD) and I know that the best way to match for residency is to do a clinical rotation there. That's why I ask. I know it is early and I may like other places for residency but I would like to try these other places too.

Hey JMOE!!!!! I am "kinda" from Minnesota! I lived there for 8 years and consider it my home. I want to move back when I am done with Med school, but right now I work at Michigan State. You have no idea how excited I was to learn of the new clinical rotations in St Cloud.

Did you go to the U?

HD

hey hrvatskidoktor -

i attended the university of mn duluth. all of my family lives in or near st. cloud - i live the furthest from there in monticello (a whole 20 miles away....) did you live in st. cloud? it would be really nice to do rotations in an area i know, but i just don't know if i'm willing to move back home again (i did that once after undergrad already). hope to meet you soon - i'm actually writing this post from my hotel room in kirksville. i'm down here looking for a place to live - i'm thinking i'll probably be in med row come august.

hey hrvatskidoktor -

i attended the university of mn duluth. all of my family lives in or near st. cloud - i live the furthest from there in monticello (a whole 20 miles away....) did you live in st. cloud? it would be really nice to do rotations in an area i know, but i just don't know if i'm willing to move back home again (i did that once after undergrad already). hope to meet you soon - i'm actually writing this post from my hotel room in kirksville. i'm down here looking for a place to live - i'm thinking i'll probably be in med row come august.

I lived in the Cities for the 8 years that I was in MN. My family is all in Michigan, but I am really interested in doing residency at United in St. Paul. They have a great Family Practice residency that is at a community health clinic, not just at the hospital. If I don't end up overseas somewhere, I'll settle down in the Cities when school/residency is over--God willing.

I'll be down in Kirksville in April to find a place to live. Hopefully there will be some good stuff still available. Good luck to you this weekend. Oh--how long did it take you to drive there? We were thinking it should be about 6 hours.

I lived in the Cities for the 8 years that I was in MN. My family is all in Michigan, but I am really interested in doing residency at United in St. Paul. They have a great Family Practice residency that is at a community health clinic, not just at the hospital. If I don't end up overseas somewhere, I'll settle down in the Cities when school/residency is over--God willing.

I'll be down in Kirksville in April to find a place to live. Hopefully there will be some good stuff still available. Good luck to you this weekend. Oh--how long did it take you to drive there? We were thinking it should be about 6 hours.

I'm not familiar with United, but that sounds like something I would enjoy...
I was told that the apts fill up fast down here so we took off as soon as I had a couple of days off of work. It took us about 8 hrs to get here from Monticello, but that was with 4 or 5 stops including about an hour or so for lunch. So 6 hrs sounds about right straight here from central MN. Good luck to you as well... hopefully there are still places avail. in April

Hi everyone! I interviewed a couple of months ago and after lots and LOTS of waiting was "approved for acceptance" if a seat opens up (sob!) because too many people want to go to KCOM (including me). Is anyone else in this situation? And will someone give up for their seat for me :p

By rotations outside of KCOM's system I was meaning electives in 4th year. Two hospital systems that I am interested in for residency are not affiliated with KCOM (one is DO and one is MD) and I know that the best way to match for residency is to do a clinical rotation there. That's why I ask. I know it is early and I may like other places for residency but I would like to try these other places too.

For the most part, electives are electives and you can do them just about anywhere you want. You just have to get permission from where you are going and get the paperwork filled out with your regional coordinator wherever you're based out of for rotations.

After reading a pre-osteo thread about health insurance, I looked up our KCOM health insurance options. At the interview I received a paper stating that we could either (1) go through KCOM's health insurance company or (2) find our own. After emailing the registrar it looks like KCOM will not be offering health insurance next year. We are on our own. So, I'm curious. Does anyone else know what they will be doing for health insurance?

After reading a pre-osteo thread about health insurance, I looked up our KCOM health insurance options. At the interview I received a paper stating that we could either (1) go through KCOM's health insurance company or (2) find our own. After emailing the registrar it looks like KCOM will not be offering health insurance next year. We are on our own. So, I'm curious. Does anyone else know what they will be doing for health insurance?

well, from what i hear from current students, the university-provided health insurance actually kinda sucked (oddly enough it was provided by a medical school). i spoke with a number of second years and they suggested finding your own provider anyways(i hear blue cross blue shield is a pretty good plan, but i'm still trying to figure out if they transfer from mn to mo or from any other state to mo....) also, good luck finding a provider that knows what "needle-stick coverage" is and if they provide it because so far i am 0 for 4 in getting a positive answer... good luck with this - i hope i can figure something out soon as well because i need a couple of immunizations before august.

Student health insurance is dead as of this summer... KCOM won't be offering any group insurance. There are plenty of places around town to get insurance, and for a lot cheaper than the old student insurance.

For those of you with pre-existing comnditions: Look up the plans offered by SOMA and AMSA. They are basically group plans, and thus won't deny coverage to those w/ pre-existing conditions.:thumbup:

Anyone in town want to help with drywall?

Student health insurance is dead as of this summer... KCOM won't be offering any group insurance. There are plenty of places around town to get insurance, and for a lot cheaper than the old student insurance.

For those of you with pre-existing comnditions: Look up the plans offered by SOMA and AMSA. They are basically group plans, and thus won't deny coverage to those w/ pre-existing conditions.:thumbup:

Good to know, Thanks! :thumbup:

New post to get our thread b ack on top... Anything new and/or interesting happen to anyone?

Just got back from Florida with my college chapter of Habitat for Humanity. Luckily there was room on the trip for an alum this year! I've been down there for Spring Break many years now and decided to make it down for one more.

Perhaps during Spring Break at KCOM I'll try to get down to New Orleans to help out. I don't know if I could call it spring break if I'm not swinging a hammer.

What did/will everyone be doing for spring break?

I work alone in a lab with no windows. Sometimes there are undergrads helping me out for class credit, but during spring break it's all solitude. I guess that means more time on SDN...

Just got back from Florida with my college chapter of Habitat for Humanity. Luckily there was room on the trip for an alum this year! I've been down there for Spring Break many years now and decided to make it down for one more.

Perhaps during Spring Break at KCOM I'll try to get down to New Orleans to help out. I don't know if I could call it spring break if I'm not swinging a hammer.

What did/will everyone be doing for spring break?

Spring break????? Spring break???? What's that? I work at a University and in Public Schools, but still, no spring break!

I'd love to go overseas for spring break--I've heard of some sort term medical student trips during the spring.

I've been remodeling my house! I bought the thing for only 40k two years ago, right after I moved to Kirksville. My friend and I have some free time during this year, mostly because we are only working on finishing our data analyses for our MS degrees. The people who owned the house before me put up nasty paneling, drop ceiling 2 feet below the actual ceiling, and what looks like marine carpet in all rooms! Hopefully, I will be done with the project by April 4th, when I go to San Diego for Experimental Biology 2008 to present my research. That will be my spring break.

Anyone heard anything about KCOM's Match List for 2008? Other schools are starting to trickle in and I'd love to see how KCOM students did this year.

Anyone heard anything about KCOM's Match List for 2008? Other schools are starting to trickle in and I'd love to see how KCOM students did this year.

I've been wondering the same thing. I was pretty darn impressed with last year's list, so I can't wait to see this years!

I am getting really excited for August!

I am getting really excited for August!

You and me both V!!! I can't wait to start buying some of my supplies. I am looking forward to being a total geek with my new "medical school" stuff spread across the kitchen table :laugh: . I already know what kind of stethoscope I want. I am excited to ditch the walgreens stethoscope I have been sporting on the ambulance for 7 years(that doesn't work too well).

Aren't you heading down to Kville next week?

You and me both V!!! I can't wait to start buying some of my supplies. I am looking forward to being a total geek with my new "medical school" stuff spread across the kitchen table :laugh: . I already know what kind of stethoscope I want. I am excited to ditch the walgreens stethoscope I have been sporting on the ambulance for 7 years(that doesn't work too well).

Aren't you heading down to Kville next week?

I'm such a dork that I walked Walmart with my mom last August and was like, "Sigh, I want to be buying school supplies right now! I better get to next August!"

We are hoping to get to Kville early afternoon on Thursday! Only one week left! Hopefully it will fill me with enough excitement to get me to July 3rd, my last day at work!