Forum Members Official: Job Offer Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just gonna throw this out there - but if the average salary is over 200k how come hundreds of applications spill in for any offer over 175 and why is a VA job so coveted.

What we have is a large portion of podiatrists who established ownership and their jobs back when reimbursement was better, rules were looser, and tuition was cheaper and are reaping the benefits to tip the average.

Maybe 25% of new grads get a decent job over 150k and that is a generous percent. It’s probably lower.

And for those podiatrists who do well, I’d bet if we broke down the amount of work they do per year relative to MD/DO colleagues it’s likely much higher. You can see 50 patients a day as a podiatrist, take call, and do frustrating surgeries and make 250k but if you’re a sports med doc seeing 50 patients a day you’re making over twice that. I know pods who make 300-400k plus a year but they’re also working 90-100 hour weeks. Which other speciality is doing that for so little comparatively
Think about it. 225K average salary. This means base + some kind of small bonus from all your hard work and it only averages to be 225K. That is terrible.

This is not doctor money. This won't help you raise a family in this economy. You won't live comfortably or take regular vacations. You will struggle to pay loans off, save for a house, raise kids, pay your bills. You are going to just get by.

Ever listen to Lowell Weil talk? Podiatry has always viewed "the associate" as a means to make YOU (the owner) more money. Start your practice, grow it. Then get an associate that you can give a ridiculous contract to so that you can syphon the majority of the profit from. If you get an associate that is loyal enough you can sacrifice your own profit to put it back into the practice and grow it more. Get another associate. Repeat.

Any new podiatrist practice run by "younger" podiatrists does the same thing. It is the podiatry recipe for success. That is why these ridiculous contracts continue to exist and this kind of culture continues.

There is a practice in florida that is a great example of this. Started off by 4 classmates who had their own practices and then joined forces. Now they have 16 in the group several years later. Do you think all these new associates they hired are all pulling in 200-300K salaries? No they are not. But they are generating significant income for the core founders who can hire more associates to rapidly open more offices and hire more associates. They are probably sacrificing their own profit to rapidly expand. All on the backs of their growing force of associates.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Think about it. 225K average salary. This means base + some kind of small bonus from all your hard work and it only averages to be 225K. That is terrible.

This is not doctor money. This won't help you raise a family in this economy. You won't live comfortably or take regular vacations. You will struggle to pay loans off, save for a house, raise kids, pay your bills. You are going to just get by.

Maybe it's because today's Thanksgiving, but if every single one of us cleared 225 right out the gate, without "geographical openness" or any other stupidity we put up with, I would say it's better than getting by.

Podiatry has always viewed "the associate" as a means to make YOU (the owner) more money. Start your practice, grow it.

This is the unpleasant private practice arithmetic. Suppose you see a market, you want to open a satellite office. For simplicity's sake, assume identical offices, identical payer mixes, identical doctor training. In order to generate income, you need another doc to work there. If you're going to split the profits 50/50, this is mathematically identical to the two of you each running solo offices. Might as well not bother, leave it to the new doc to build it from the ground up. Yeah there's a modest savings from sharing admin staff and ehr licenses (~1% as a share of gross revenue).

But the profits don't scale well, unless the new doc takes a pay cut to justify the business expansion. Hence the job market.

If this is the definition of doctor's money then only about 25 percent I know are earning enough to live this way (very, very nice house, new luxury SUVs, extravagant vacations etc).

The reality is more than 25 percent I know are living a doctor's lifestyle......why is this? Some married someone who made similar or more than them or they had or married into family money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aren’t you like the only person within a 100 mile radius with a scalpel
Used to be. And it was closer to 150 miles.
I still have a 30 mile barrier though. Might be some change to that soon though.

But the profits don't scale well, unless the new doc takes a pay cut to justify the business expansion. Hence the job market.
Debatable with the "correct " protocols in place that must be rigidly followed. Otherwise, you are probably right and there is much less risk with a low base/low benefit associate where you hire and build up a new office location rather have a model where you need the demand first and then hire and pay well.

This is why most argue we are saturated. No more proof is needed than this. If podiatrists turned these 100K or below type jobs down because there were better opportunities this common business model would cease to exist in all but the most saturated locations.

Last edited:
It's funny, it's Thanksgiving and I'm still searching for jobs all day because it's such a terrible market. This must be what a regular job search is like during a recession but in podiatry we experience this job search all career round.

It's funny, it's Thanksgiving and I'm still searching for jobs all day because it's such a terrible market. This must be what a regular job search is like during a recession but in podiatry we experience this job search all career round.
You have no idea bro....it is hard even with experience...

Take a break and enjoy the day nobody on the other side of those applications are working today

You have no idea bro....it is hard even with experience...
Podiatry job search is hard even after good residency, board cert, experience, and 3rd whiskey on the rocks.

Take a break and enjoy the day nobody on the other side of those applications are working today
Yeah, just relax and bet $300 on Cowboys/skins game over 47.5... that win might cover student loan interest for this week.

Podiatry job search is hard even after good residency, board cert, experience, and 3rd whiskey on the rocks.

Yeah, just relax and bet $300 on Cowboys/skins game over 47.5... that win might cover student loan interest for this week.

Good teams win, great teams cover…

Buy crypto. The mother of all bullruns is coming once a Bitcoin ETF is approved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buy crypto. The mother of all bullruns is coming once a Bitcoin ETF is approved.
Yes, 100%... won't get rich from just seeing patients.
Always gotta have stocks, indexes, alts, RE, and various investments or ways to grow the savings.

I'm still looking for the next NVO (even though it's still running well).

Haven't seen many good job offers lately. Dried up. Hopefully after 1st of year and new budget they come back.

Here are some decent paying jobs for those willing to move to less than desirable locations. I have inquired about the Shiprock GS-13 position and was told it pays 190-200k by the chief of podiatry there. Shiprock is close to Farmington, NM which is a decent sized city (has a Chick Fil A).

I talked to a graduate of my residency who previously worked at Gallup and they told me they try to get all their pods up to the maximum pay possible (so up to 300k depending on years of experience). There are 2 pods currently at Gallup, they are looking to hire 3 more. Downside is you have to live in Gallup, NM (no Chick Fil A).

Do not know much about the other locations. Not sure if they have Chick Fil A in those places, but feel free to check if that is important to you for deciding on location.

See link below and then search for podiatrist under position title.

IHS Jobs.jpg

Job Search Results | Jobs

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here are some decent paying jobs for those willing to move to less than desirable locations. I have inquired about the Shiprock GS-13 position and was told it pays 190-200k by the chief of podiatry there. Shiprock is close to Farmington, NM which is a decent sized city (has a Chick Fil A).

I talked to a graduate of my residency who previously worked at Gallup and they told me they try to get all their pods up to the maximum pay possible (so up to 300k depending on years of experience). There are 2 pods currently at Gallup, they are looking to hire 3 more. Downside is you have to live in Gallup, NM (no Chick Fil A).

Do not know much about the other locations. Not sure if they have Chick Fil A in those places, but feel free to check if that is important to you for deciding on location.

View attachment 379259
Alternatively, you can work as an associate in a big city with 20 Chik Fil A’s, and sadly never be able to afford to eat there. :(

View attachment 379259
How difficult and how long of a process is obtaining one of the IHS jobs ? Looks like the close date for the jobs are as far out as 6 months. Anyone have experience applying and can share ?

Some of these happen very fast and then some take forever. I have gotten notifications literally 1 year after applying saying it closed and I was never contacted.

View attachment 379259
Both of those NM locations have had trouble recruiting and retaining.

The Shiprock has been open for years. Gallup had hired a full amount of DPMs, and then some quit.

The Shiprock area is fairly horrendous (and you have to live there - not Cortez or Farmington - to be in the call radius).
Gallup is fair but not the best... it has much more in terms of stores and restaurants and trails and parks than most IHS jobs, but the city is old and pretty rough in many parts, not a ton to do and fairly depressing in the city itself... but many fairly fun weekend drives from there (Flagstaff, ABQ, Durango, Winslow, etc etc).

Those jobs are decent start points (fair pay in terms of DPM jobs), but the hiring goes slow (govt) and it would be very rough on a partner/family - esp Shiprock. They'd be best for a single person and/or a "do this for a few years to pay off loans" plan.

Both of those NM locations have had trouble recruiting and retaining.

The Shiprock has been open for years. Gallup had hired a full amount of DPMs, and then some quit.

The Shiprock area is fairly horrendous (and you have to live there - not Cortez or Farmington - to be in the call radius).
Gallup is fair but not the best... it has much more in terms of stores and restaurants and trails and parks than most IHS jobs, but the city is old and pretty rough in many parts, not a ton to do and fairly depressing in the city itself... but many fairly fun weekend drives from there (Flagstaff, ABQ, Durango, Winslow, etc etc).

Those jobs are decent start points (fair pay in terms of DPM jobs), but the hiring goes slow (govt) and it would be very rough on a partner/family - esp Shiprock. They'd be best for a single person and/or a "do this for a few years to pay off loans" plan.

What is expected as a doc there in terms of call? And is it just typical clinic and toe amps or do they want you doing Charcot recons and such

Hello! Been following this thread for some time now and wanted to get opinion on an offer

NYC based (4 offices, call at 4-5 hospitals)
125k base salary
25% after 250k collections (willing to negotiate percentage)
Benefits included except health insurance and 401k
2 year contract

Was told it’s very unlikely to get bonus first year but doable after 2nd year. Obviously with cost of living in NY, offer seems really low

• Sad
  • Haha
Hello! Been following this thread for some time now and wanted to get opinion on an offer

125k base salary
2 year contract

Was told it’s very unlikely to get bonus first year but doable after 2nd year. Obviously with cost of living in NY, offer seems really low

Garbage offer. If a place is expects you to take call at 4 hospitals you should be getting paid over 250k to be worked like a dog

I had an over the phone discussion with the chief of podiatry for the Shiprock position who told me that most of their doctors live in either Farmington, NM or Cortez, CO. So maybe they changed their policy on having to actually live in Shiprock.

Ah nice, I see they must have decided to focus on the less well known benefits, like paid subscriptions to PM News and JAPMA. I think that's reasonable, just maybe see if you can negotiate a weekly bagel or in office coffee machine. Health insurance is really affordable anyway...

125k base salary
2 year contract

Lol prepare for burnout right away. 4-5 hospitals!??? Prob no extra compensation for call either.

Run away.

125k base salary
2 year contract

Looks legit to me.

If you don’t live a doctor lifestyle like the other 1000 NYC pods.

• Haha
I had an over the phone discussion with the chief of podiatry for the Shiprock position who told me that most of their doctors live in either Farmington, NM or Cortez, CO. So maybe they changed their policy on having to actually live in Shiprock.
You have to be 30min call radius... Cortez is a no way on that, and even the closest part of Farmington won't make it. That is probably HR saying what it takes to attract doctors... or perhaps the docs live in those places and stay in an on-call place in Shiprock (hospital or nearby housing) during their nights and weekends on call?

What is expected as a doc there in terms of call? And is it just typical clinic and toe amps or do they want you doing Charcot recons and such
It is up to chief of surgery. Call is usually q-whatever they have.
That is a big pitfall with IHS jobs: people quit (a lot), so you might be q3 and then down to q2 for awhile.

The poor lady working out in Shiprock by herself (chief of podiatry = only podiatrist) is probably on call basically q2 (work just piles up while she's gone) or even perpetually on-call with rare weekend she takes vaca.

When I did IHS, I did basically whatever I was trained for (limit of facility and OR team). What is expected is based on what they need and what gets sent/called to podiatry. You definitely have to do a lot of rays and TMAs and I&D and fractures. Someone who doesn't do ankle fx or doesn't do any surgery or whatever would likely be paid less... or just not hired. Again, up to chief of surg.

Only dim wits do Charcot recon. ;)

Last edited:

125k base salary
2 year contract

Pretty terrible - why are you asking / what do you want to know?

-Going to lots of offices sounds awful. Probably harder to train staff. May have different equipment at different offices
-Taking call is awful unless you are hospital employed at your own hospital.
-$125K is very podiatry but most of us don't live in the most expensive tax heavy city on Earth
-25% after 50% is terrible. There's no money to be made on 25% and anyone who will offer you 25% will screw you on it and find a way not to pay you because that's the type of person they are. There's also no reason for the collections to be that low - you aren't costing anything because they aren't paying for any benefits for you.
-Health insurance is expensive. If your job doesn't offer it then you'll have to buy it from a broker or the .GOV marketplace. If you have a family you can expect to have costs somewhere between $10-20K. My guess is insurance just for yourself is likely minimum $6000 or more.
-Watch out that they don't try and screw you into being a 1099.

125k base salary
2 year contract

Congrats to the mustache pod for finding a passive income generator without having to pay any overhead on them.

...Benefits included except health insurance and 401k...
Besides health insurance and retire match/bonuses/stock, what other important benefits are there?

You see, I'm a podiatrist and clearly not the most experienced in jobs which provide benefits in excess of holiday $25 gift card.
I am not a MBA who learns employment benefits in school or a MD who gets them at all jobs, so I am trying to learn here. :(

(malpractice and hospital dues and CME and PTO for an associate doc are not "benefits," they are a given)

Last edited:
Besides health insurance and retire match/bonuses/stock, what other important benefits are there?

You see, I'm a podiatrist and clearly not the most experienced in jobs which provide benefits in excess of holiday $25 gift card.
I am not a MBA who learns employment benefits in school or a MD who gets them at all jobs, so I am trying to learn here. :(

(malpractice and hospital dues and CME and PTO for an associate doc are not "benefits," they are a given)
Lol everyone here is a savage. This was my first offer from my recent job hunts so I’m also trying to figure out what’s a feasible offer versus not, especially in a place like NYC with such a high COL.

With that being said, I was not aware that malpractice/credentialing/CME was not benefits so thank you for pointing that out. Especially because there are other places that don’t offer that. Personally, I don’t need care much for health insurance as I am able to tag onto my partner’s plan.

... I was not aware that malpractice/credentialing/CME was not benefits so thank you for pointing that out. Especially because there are other places that don’t offer that. ...
If it's an employ (W2) job, they have to provide license, malprac, hospital dues, CME, etc etc expenses required to practice.

If they don't (doc does), then it's a 1099 contractor job.

Actual benefits are health, dent, vision, PTO, pa/maternity, 401/403 match, sign bonus, relocate bonus, other bonus, etc.
Health and retire match and bigger-than-avg PTO (more than 3 weeks) are typically the big benefits... so your offer has basically no benefits.

With that being said, I was not aware that malpractice/credentialing/CME was not benefits so thank you for pointing that out.
These are costs of doing business, not benefits.

Lol everyone here is a savage. This was my first offer from my recent job hunts so I’m also trying to figure out what’s a feasible offer versus not, especially in a place like NYC with such a high COL.

With that being said, I was not aware that malpractice/credentialing/CME was not benefits so thank you for pointing that out. Especially because there are other places that don’t offer that. Personally, I don’t need care much for health insurance as I am able to tag onto my partner’s plan.

It has nothing to do with being a savage. I’m a PP associate in a relatively high cost of living area. It’s not California or New York but it’s getting close.

25% collection after bonus is an insult. Do you really want to make $100 for every bunion you do? Even the TFPs won’t rip their associates for less than 30 percent.

A decent associate job will be 35-40. NYC is just so entrenched in corruption it’s unbelievable.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with being a savage. I’m a PP associate in a relatively high cost of living area. It’s not California or New York but it’s getting close.

25% collection after bonus is an insult. Do you really want to make $100 for every bunion you do?
No of course not - the job market just seems to be really terrible but I guess that’s what you would expect out of the northeast unfortunately

No of course not - the job market just seems to be really terrible but I guess that’s what you would expect out of the northeast unfortunately
You would do well to wait for better offers. Once you’re operating and practicing, the liability of only being compensated $100 for a surgery that may land you a lawsuit, board complaint, or a negative online doc review will change your mind about the situation.

View attachment 379259
Gallup is probably the worst possible place to ever live. There is a reason why these jobs have openings. There is nothing to do there and the community is rough. Check the housing market too. Hardly any houses for sale worth living in. If you are single maybe you could pull it off for a few years and save some cash waiting for something better to come around. But bringing your loved one and children to these areas is asking for a divorce. Anybody who says different has never been to Gallup.

Reactions: 4 users

Podiatry Foot & Ankle Surgery​

Gainesville, Florida

Private Practice
Full Time
Podiatry (D.P.M.) Opportunity in Gainesville, Florida
Company Name: The Orthopedic Institute
Discipline: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine

The Orthopedic Institute (TOI), a leading private practice group in Florida, is hiring for a BC Podiatrist to join our Orthopedic team in our very attractive Gainesville Florida Headquarters.

Qualified Candidates:
  • Physician should have an active license in be in good standing.
  • Podiatrist should be trained in Foot and Ankle Surgery
  • Ideal candidate will be energetic and motivated with strong patient-centered practice philosophy
  • Great Opportunity for experienced and new graduates alike
  • Expect 2-2.5 OR days and 2.5-3 days in office per week
Incentive/Benefits Package:
  • Competitive compensation including a share of ancillary profits
  • Relocation allowance, sign-on bonus and base salary plus productivity-based bonuses
  • 25+ year market leading practice experiencing steady growth
  • Very light level III trauma center with very supportive partners
  • Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, paid time off etc.

About the opportunity with The Orthopedic Institute (TOI):
  • We are a leading private orthopedic group in Florida with 50 physicians across more than 14 offices
  • TOI is looking to recruit to fulfill the booming demand for foot and ankle surgery located predominantly in our Flagship Gainesville Florida office
  • The primary focus for the position will be an elective foot and ankle and forefoot practice
  • Strong patient base with a busy practice located in a fast growing area of Florida
  • Robust infrastructure and support to help ramp up your practice with a highly collaborative culture
  • This practice has critical support service lines including MRI, physical therapy, DME and outpatient surgery center
Serving as the commercial hub for North Central Florida, Gainesville is a beautiful and active community that is centrally located and convenient to both the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of Florida with a user friendly airport and countless outdoor attractions. Home to state of the art businesses and commerce Gainesville also hosts great sporting and music events. Convenient to Tampa and Orlando for big city attractions without having to deal with the day to day big city problems. With scenic lakes and rivers Gainesville is surrounded by quaint communities that still retain the charm and character of Old Florida.
Contact Information
[email protected] , (727) 418-5696
Compensation Details:
Competitive base salary plus production bonus.

Podiatry Foot & Ankle Surgery​

Gainesville, Florida

Private Practice
Full Time
Podiatry (D.P.M.) Opportunity in Gainesville, Florida
Company Name: The Orthopedic Institute
Discipline: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine

The Orthopedic Institute (TOI), a leading private practice group in Florida, is hiring for a BC Podiatrist to join our Orthopedic team in our very attractive Gainesville Florida Headquarters.

Qualified Candidates:
  • Physician should have an active license in be in good standing.
  • Podiatrist should be trained in Foot and Ankle Surgery
  • Ideal candidate will be energetic and motivated with strong patient-centered practice philosophy
  • Great Opportunity for experienced and new graduates alike
  • Expect 2-2.5 OR days and 2.5-3 days in office per week
Incentive/Benefits Package:
  • Competitive compensation including a share of ancillary profits
  • Relocation allowance, sign-on bonus and base salary plus productivity-based bonuses
  • 25+ year market leading practice experiencing steady growth
  • Very light level III trauma center with very supportive partners
  • Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, paid time off etc.

About the opportunity with The Orthopedic Institute (TOI):
  • We are a leading private orthopedic group in Florida with 50 physicians across more than 14 offices
  • TOI is looking to recruit to fulfill the booming demand for foot and ankle surgery located predominantly in our Flagship Gainesville Florida office
  • The primary focus for the position will be an elective foot and ankle and forefoot practice
  • Strong patient base with a busy practice located in a fast growing area of Florida
  • Robust infrastructure and support to help ramp up your practice with a highly collaborative culture
  • This practice has critical support service lines including MRI, physical therapy, DME and outpatient surgery center
Serving as the commercial hub for North Central Florida, Gainesville is a beautiful and active community that is centrally located and convenient to both the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of Florida with a user friendly airport and countless outdoor attractions. Home to state of the art businesses and commerce Gainesville also hosts great sporting and music events. Convenient to Tampa and Orlando for big city attractions without having to deal with the day to day big city problems. With scenic lakes and rivers Gainesville is surrounded by quaint communities that still retain the charm and character of Old Florida.
Contact Information
[email protected] , (727) 418-5696
Compensation Details:
Competitive base salary plus production bonus.
Awesome group…. But you’ll bust your butt there.

Yes, I'm sure DPMs there tend sprain their wrist rapidly writing ankle refers the the F&A ortho and sports orthos in the group who make 3x what they do? :)
Certainly true on the salary, but as for the job… Not quite. I know one of the DPM docs there. Insane busy… foot recons, total ankles, ankle fusions, triples, etc.

They only just recently hired one ortho F&A. The DPM I know was their main F&A guy for a number of years. They added another DPM 2 years ago.

The area we work is very ortho/podiatry friendly thankfully. I also had a great relationship with one of the local University ortho F&A guys until he left. Central FL a great place to practice!!!

Certainly true on the salary, but as for the job… Not quite. I know one of the DPM docs there. Insane busy… foot recons, total ankles, ankle fusions, triples, etc.

They only just recently hired one ortho F&A. The DPM I know was their main F&A guy for a number of years. They added another DPM 2 years ago.

The area we work is very ortho/podiatry friendly thankfully. I also had a great relationship with one of the local University ortho F&A guys until he left. Central FL a great place to practice!!!
I hope it works out for him.

You be amaaaaazed how much surgical volume and how many ER refers a decent F&A ortho can eat up... and how fast.
Sports med orthos can be variable, but most will do ankle fx, Jones fx, everything Achilles, ankle OA, lat ankle instab, etc etc also.
They can typically feed the inject/insole and non-op fx and most post-ops to their PA(s) and can really crank out the surgery. That is not to mention most are just more efficient in OR and have zero referral bias that most DPMs have to really work at.

Most general orthos will leave the F&A stuff alone (exception of ankle fx) so long as there are plenty of knees and hips and femurs and radius to fix, but if their business dries up a bit and schedule thins for any reason (economy, other orthos, town shrinks, etc), watch out. They know how to do basic F&A and can always read up on doing any F&A... so they will absolutely gobble significant F&A work also if times get tough.

...There are actually a few top F&A orthos speaking at ACFAS annual conf Tampa next year - some near retired and a couple in prime years, so that'll be interesting to see how that goes. Things are changing, but it is a very slow and gradual change. A lot of the things said f2f at rep workshops or meetings are markedly different than closed-door convos and thinking. Money always matters.

Last edited:

125k base salary
2 year contract

Horrendous offer with a TWO YEAR contract on top of it....holy crap. I've seen some bad offers from my time in NY but this is one of the worst. If for whatever circumstances you need to seriously consider this offer, I would fight hard against their non-compete.

125k base salary
2 year contract

Question about offers like this for both OP and the general readers.

There are variable bases and percentages but in this scenario when it says 25% after 250k collections, does that mean a 1 time 250k threshold that you only need to pass once in your career there? Or does it renew every year? Strictly asking about bonus, I know base is the same.

For instance. Year 1 collect $300,000 then bonus 25% of remaining $50,000. Then year 2 collect $300,000 again and bonus 25% of remaining $50,000.

Or it is year 1 collect $300,000 then bonus 25% of remaining $50,000. Then year 2 collect $300,000 keep 25% of full $300,000?

Which scenario is correct? To be clear I think both are unethical. Just trying to understand how these contracts work.

Horrendous offer with a TWO YEAR contract on top of it....holy crap. I've seen some bad offers from my time in NY but this is one of the worst. If for whatever circumstances you need to seriously consider this offer, I would fight hard against their non-compete.
Wow! That's in the top 5 of worst jobs I have ever seen.

"Benefits included except health insurance and 401k"

So what benefits are they even including then? Occasional pizza lunch Fridays?