**Official Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2013-2014**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
shouldn't we be spending time prepping for interviews? I plan on "studying" 5-8 hours/day for about a month for the interview much as I did for DAT prep. Wht do you think? How much time did you spend to prep? (Yes, I am aware that our interviews shouldn't sound "prepared".)

That's way to much. Don't prepare, you don't want to sound like a recording machine replaying. I think the biggest question is why dentistry. Prepare for that. Besides that, freestyle it so it's natural!

Members don't see this ad.

shouldn't we be spending time prepping for interviews? I plan on "studying" 5-8 hours/day for about a month for the interview much as I did for DAT prep. Wht do you think? How much time did you spend to prep? (Yes, I am aware that our interviews shouldn't sound "prepared".)

5-8 hours a day for interview prep is ridiculous. I don't think its even possible.

If I were to give one piece of advice in regards to interviews it would be to not over-prepare. This is a issue when people start to become under-confident in their communication abilities and then feel they need to compensate with crazy preparation. Some preparation is good, but don't pigeon-hole yourself in saying a certain sentence or paragraph for a given answer. Speak freely but keep in mind the concepts you came across during your preparation.

It can kill any conversation that may come up during your interview because you may go in with blocks of paragraph answers engrained in your head and let's say it turns out to be a relaxed conversation. Having to change your mindset that quickly is what leads people to freeze and mess up.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's way to much. Don't prepare, you don't want to sound like a recording machine replaying. I think the biggest question is why dentistry. Prepare for that. Besides that, freestyle it so it's natural!

5-8 hours a day for interview prep is ridiculous. I don't think its even possible.

I'm starting to really wonder if this user is serious. They also got "highly offended" about women being called "chicks."

-_-

I vaguely recall from one of last year's applicants that after s/he was rejected, s/he called the school to ask what was the pitfall in his/her application, and it was his/her blatantly obvious scripted interview. So yeah, don't let that be your weakness as well. 5-8 hrs/day for a month will inevitably turn your interview into a regurgitating mess. Just know yourself and your application inside out, that's the best prep, and shouldn't take anywhere near that long.

For people who got an interview at Nova, how long did it take to get an email inviting you for an interview after they had called you saying your application is going under review?

I'm starting to really wonder if this user is serious. They also got "highly offended" about women being called "chicks."

-_-

obvious troll is obviously obvious

OH MAN!!! That was fast!! What are your stats if you don't mind?

Rejected Via email from Loyola
Rejected Via message on BU's secondary app site

bbbbooooooooooooooo:mad:

Wrong forum? Although, Loyola is super competitive for dental school admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected Via email from Loyola

Where do you access their secondary application site to see if you're interviewed or rejected?

I vaguely recall from one of last year's applicants that after s/he was rejected, s/he called the school to ask what was the pitfall in his/her application, and it was his/her blatantly obvious scripted interview. So yeah, don't let that be your weakness as well. 5-8 hrs/day for a month will inevitably turn your interview into a regurgitating mess. Just know yourself and your application inside out, that's the best prep, and shouldn't take anywhere near that long.

A guy applying to LSU with a 23\25\19 on DAT got rejected b\c of this. He got one of the few OOS spots at Florida though...

Just goes to show it isn't only about grades!

School: University of Alabama at Birmingham
Notification date: July 19
Method of notification: Phone Call
Residency: OOS (Mississippi)
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/28
Application complete date: 6/12
GPA (science, overall): sGPA = 3.95; oGPA = 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/19/21/none

My spidey senses are telling me that this coming Monday is the beginning. May you all have a restful weekend :)

Notification date: July 19
Method of notification: Phone Call
Residency: OOS (Mississippi)
Application complete date: 6/12
GPA (science, overall): sGPA = 3.95; oGPA = 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/19/21/none

Congrats, just wondering how long was their supplemental app ? Thanks

Congrats, just wondering how long was their supplemental app ? Thanks

It was one page front and back. It just asked a little more background info not covered in the AADSAS application as well as questions such as "Why our school?" and "How do you plan to pay for school?" They also asked for a 2 x 2 inch photo and a $75 application fee.

What do you mean by that? As far as I can recall, you don't need get an account when you fill out BU's secondary. You just go to the webpage, fill out your personal info then answer the "why BU" question. So, you filled out BU's app and instantly got a message that you're rejected? That's odd.

It was one page front and back. It just asked a little more background info not covered in the AADSAS application as well as questions such as "Why our school?" and "How do you plan to pay for school?" They also asked for a 2 x 2 inch photo and a $75 application fee.

Thank you !

hey if this helps you feel any better I was in the first batch and I got nothing from the 40 schools that I applied to.

Wow! 40 schools! I only applied to 8, and everyone in my family thinks I went overboard and applied to too many!

Is this cycle slower than previous ones or am I just anxious??

Im anxious too. It seems that case and nova are the only schools that have given out interviews. Do i have that right?

Pretty sure everyone's anxious at this point. But fear not, it's still very early in the cycle for interview invites from most schools. Judging from past years, it seems that Case has always been on point early in the game with respect to interviews.

UNC and the Texas schools have also...and of course I didn't apply to any of these lol

I'm not sure I just know I saw some earlier in this thread

Interview invite from Uconn today via email. OOS.

San Antonio, Alabama, LSU, Nova, Case, and a few others have already given out interviews

Can anyone clarify how interview invites work? Do they comb through 1st, 2nd, etc. batches and invite people they want? Are those in those batches without invites more or less rejected or do the schools go back and comb through the "leftovers" later?

Can anyone clarify how interview invites work? Do they comb through 1st, 2nd, etc. batches and invite people they want? Are those in those batches without invites more or less rejected or do the schools go back and comb through the "leftovers" later?

Each school is different.

Sometimes a school will read your app and put it in the "reject" pile immediately (i.e., NOVA). Other times a school will continue reviewing apps (regardless of batch) throughout the year (i.e., Western and Case Western). There are even schools that might see your app in the second batch but they put you in a pile for a post-december interview (i.e., my experience with UCLA).

So, don't worry yet (until you get the rejection letters).

School: University of Kentucky :D:D:D
Notification Date: July 23
Method of Notification: email
Residency: NJ
GPA: sPGA: 3.88 oGPA: 3.71
DAT (AA/TA/PAT/Reading/any section below 17): 19/20/22/18

Non traditional student pursuing a dream, also a re-applicant from last cycle.

2nd Invite!!

School: University of Kentucky
Method of Notification: email
Residency: TX
GPA: sPGA: 3.50 oGPA: 3.52
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below 17): 19/19/19/16. Only 16 reading is below 17.

Do any of you guys know much about Univ Kentucky? Lifestyle? etc.? I am very unfamiliar with the State

Do any of you guys know much about Univ Kentucky? Lifestyle? etc.? I am very unfamiliar with the State

Their website and youtube vids have some good info about that but I'm in the same boat. Not to familiar with the state.

Method of Notification: Phone call
Residency: GA
GPA: sGPA: 3.81 oGPA: 3.87
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below 17): 23/23/22/22/none

Ill be there August 7th, whoop whoop!

School: UAB
Method of Notification: phone call
Residency: GA
GPA: sPGA: 4.0 oGPA: 4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below 17): 21/22/19/22 None

Man this thread is making me really anxious. 3.9/25/24 and I have heard absolutely NOTHING. I thought they will be offering a lot of interviews in late July ???

Every school does things differently but it seems that this is how it runs. I dont think you are rejected if you dont get an invite right away... you arent rejected until you get a letter. Purely speculation of course... Unfortunately we don't have much insight to their methods!

Did anyone else get a supplemental request from ASDOH? I am looking at the application and some of it is repeats from the AADSAS application. For the evaluators, when we input their info does it email them again? It says the letter needs to go through AADSAS, but it's asking for their emails.

If I remember correctly ASDOH asks you for only 2 letters of rec. one from a science professor and one from a dentist. So you fill out their personal information and ASDOH looks at those two from AADSAS. They don't email them again...