Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All,

I will be starting the Harvard Extension Health Careers Program this June 2013.

I am quite excited but also have so many questions. I would certainly appreciate some guidance / suggestions. Here goes:

1) What in the world do I do about Housing? I will be moving at the end of May from Brooklyn, NY with - my dog, (and potentially my partner). Where do I search for affordable, yet close -but also flexible housing? I have seen answers to websites I can search for housing but is there a place perhaps where people post that they are looking for roommates... with a dog and maybe someone else? And where are the best areas to look without commuting for more than 30+mins to Harvard Sq? I really enjoying living with people- preferably within the same situation- but should I look for apartments alone?

2) Recently I was contacted by the program informing me that they will no longer grant a diploma which takes away the harvard I.D card (i.e no more library, gym etc privileges) This isn't a deal breaker but I am a wee disappointed about the gym and library being off limits to us. Are there other options you guys have explored or know off where one can get their solid cardio workout? How does this affect the overall program experience?

3) Finally, what is the best place to look for paid mini-internships (i.e 10-20 hrs tops per week paid...gotta get money to eat Ramen noodles at least).

Thank you very much and I look forward to your responses!

-G

1) Define affordable? What is your main mode of transportation? When would you like to move here? I love davis/porter/harvard squares. You're on the red line (city is accessible), great food/bar choices and you can find some affordable places if you look. Your biggest holdup is going to be the pooch - only 10% or so of Boston area apartments are pet friendly.

2) Boston is a great city for running and there are plenty of great roads for cycling once you hit the 'burbs. We also have our fair share of gyms and such.

3) What type of internship do you have in mind?

Members don't see this ad.

]Thank you for your answers and follow ups. Per your questions:

1) Define affordable? Perhaps anything in the $800-$1,200
- What is your main mode of transportation? Would be walking, bike or train.
-When would you like to move here? I have to be there by June 1st

3) What type of internship do you have in mind? I was thinking something, of course within the medical field- maybe research- it really doesn't matter as long as I am getting some experience and getting some money. Perhaps I am being too optimistic?

Thank you again for your time and replies. Also anyone else out there starting this summer or will be around for classes and / or will be there this coming fall. ?

-G

Last edited:
I have feeling the HES thread might die a slow death after the current crop of regular posters leave. I think we've all reached a point where we're totally swamped with classes/work/ECs that we don't post nearly as often.

Also, I heard from a classmate that someone lost their s*** and became disruptive during the orgo exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
]Thank you for your answers and follow ups. Per your questions:

1) Define affordable? Perhaps anything in the $800-$1,200
- What is your main mode of transportation? Would be walking, bike or train.
-When would you like to move here? I have to be there by June 1st

3) What type of internship do you have in mind? I was thinking something, of course within the medical field- maybe research- it really doesn't matter as long as I am getting some experience and getting some money. Perhaps I am being too optimistic?

Thank you again for your time and replies. Also anyone else out there starting this summer or will be around for classes and / or will be there this coming fall. ?

-G

Porter/Davis are good and relatively cheap, also Inman Square and Central Square in the other direction in Cambridge. Cambridgeport (right next to Central Square) is also particularly affordable, and if you wind up getting a job in Longwood, it's perfectly located because it's midway between the two (and right on the 47 bus line). Inman isn't as close to the red line, but it's close to Harvard and a great neighborhood, and affordable (for Boston). Somerville is also close to Harvard. I'd check Craigslist - I managed to find roommates with a cat, but there were many places that didn't allow pets, so I guess you just have to keep checking. Allston is also cheap and close by biking (right across the river from Cambridge), and the 66 bus goes from Allston to Harvard pretty reliably.

For the research job, I think the likeliness of a paid job depends on how much lab experience you already have. If you've already got some experience, I'd suggest going on the Harvard Med website and looking at departments you're interested in working in, and then emailing PIs of cool labs and asking if they're hiring for 20 hrs a week. Trying to get a job at Harvard is a great idea because then one of your classes is free every semester. A lot of the time someone's project will be backed up by just needing a bunch of samples extracted or plates run or something, and if they have the funding they'll hire someone to help crank through the extra work. But a lot of the time the part-time stuff doesn't get posted because it's more informal. It's also much more efficient to contact PIs directly - sifting through a million resumes is a pain, and they usually prefer someone with initiative and a specific interest in what their lab does. I've been interviewing full-time research assistants lately at the lab I work at, and my PI said he wished people would just contact him directly if they want to work for him (which is what I did). I initially was worried that I was bothering him, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Here's an example of what I mean: if you were interested in working in the Genetics Dept at Harvard Med, you'd look here: http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/faculty

On the left side of the page, all the PI's names are listed. Click through the list, and each person's bio comes up, with their contact information. If a person's research seems interesting to you and you have experience with some of the work they do, shoot them a brief email about it (and attach your resume of course).

And then if you don't have lab experience, your best bet would be to volunteer for a while and then try to get a paid job with those skills under your belt. Again, I think directly contacting PIs is the best way to go here. Be brief, but tell them that you're a career-changer and are taking your basic science classes now, are interested in learning lab techniques, and was wondering if you could volunteer 10 or so hours a week. Then they could teach you a basic skill, so that you're able to help out in the lab, and while you're doing that you could sort of shadow other lab members to learn the techniques they're using. After 6 months or so of this, you could have a pretty broad skill-set, and from there you can start emailing PIs about full-time jobs.

And if you're interested in more epidemiology/public health/global health stuff, Partners In Health (http://www.pih.org/) is a great place to volunteer at. Tuberculosis and cholera research doesn't get much funding, unfortunately, so they have tons of volunteers helping out with a lot of their work. The downside, of course, is that it's tough to get a paying job there, but the upside is that volunteers have the opportunity to really get involved. I've been volunteering there for over a year and love it. The people there are extremely engaging, passionate, and inspiring, and you'll really see projects moving forward and stuff getting done there. It's the kind of place that makes you happy you decided to pursue medicine, at least in my opinion. Most of the PIH people are there through the Division of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard: http://ghsm.hms.harvard.edu/people/faculty/

Then for paying part-time work in the meantime, I had one other idea. If you're a good test-taker, you could SAT or GRE tutor at Kaplan or the Princeton Review. I believe they start you at about $20 an hour, and you can get really good discounts on MCAT courses once you're an employee, so that could be useful down the road.

I hope some of that is helpful!

And now, a question from me: Can someone who's taking bio with Anderson tell me when his office hours are? I need to get a rec from him, but he didn't respond to my email, and neither did my TA, so I'm thinking I need to track him down in person.

Thanks!

I have feeling the HES thread might die a slow death after the current crop of regular posters leave. I think we've all reached a point where we're totally swamped with classes/work/ECs that we don't post nearly as often.

Also, I heard from a classmate that someone lost their s*** and became disruptive during the orgo exam.

Must have been in the A-P (or whatever it was) room. Us bottom of the alphabet folks are way too mature and composed for that. Speaking of the orgo exam, the mistakes that I made were so amazingly stupid they border on ******ation. SN2 on a benzene? Really John? REALLY? Forgetting to make the benzyne before doing Diels-Alder!

Guh, other than those two mistakes I smoked the exam. Happy, but not thrilled, with my results.

Agree with you in terms of busyness though. MCAT studying, classes, research, TFing, volunteering, studying, lifting. . . busy is good, but I can't say I won't be the slightest bit relieved when my schedule opens up a bit this summer.

And now, a question from me: Can someone who's taking bio with Anderson tell me when his office hours are? I need to get a rec from him, but he didn't respond to my email, and neither did my TA, so I'm thinking I need to track him down in person.

Thanks!

Just a heads up from someone who tried getting one from him: You'll be spending a considerable amount of time and energy trying to get a letter from him. He doesn't show to his own office hours half the time, and he will find 10 excuses in an instant for why he hasn't yet written your letter. He's extremely frustrating to get a letter from. I eventually just said **** it, and I got one from someone else.

oldcrumb:

I truly appreciate all the info. Very very helpful!

I look forward to all this action and thank you again!

-G

Hello to everyone. I am new non-traditional member here at SD looking for advice about my situation.

I am 27 and finished an M.A. degree in Anthropology (did not want to finish PhD because I wanted to go into medicine), then decided to stay at my current institution (Midwest 4-year university) to take the pre-requisites. However, I am OOS and opted to only take one course this year (General Chemistry) so I could apply for residency. I thought long and hard about just going straight to HES but decided against it because I was worried about not having means of supporting myself in a more expensive city and felt that the uni's position as an R1 provided more opportunities for volunteer work and research. I also did not want to just move to a new city without a support network (grad school was pretty stressful so I wanted to make the transition more manageable).

My issue at the moment is that despite doing everything required for residency I am not certain if I will receive it. If I don't I would need to spend additional time as a part-time student, which would not look well on my applications. I can certainly apply for residency, but the application date is too close to the Fall 2013 term for me to feel comfortable about it.

Would it be better for me to apply to HES and make arrangements for life in Boston? Has it been easy for students there to find steady employment and research/volunteering opportunities? My plan is to apply for med school in 2014 so I would like to avoid delaying this more than is necessary.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

When will you know whether or not you've gotten residency in your current state? Seems to me like the best option could be to apply to HES (the application is pretty simple) and then see where everything pans out. The classes here are cheap compared to pretty much anywhere else (~$1200 each), and they're challenging but prepare you well. I think that doing most of your premed stuff here would be a positive thing on your med school application.

In terms of getting a job, there are tons of hospitals and research opportunities in Boston. I posted last page with information about how to go about getting a research position, so that might be helpful for you. And if you live in Somerville/JP/parts of Cambridge, the rent won't be too terrible. I think it's worth it. Also, while you're putting in your HES application, you could start emailing PIs of labs you want to work at and see if you can get a research job lined up, too, and then maybe base your final decision on how that all pans out, along with the residency application?

Unrelated side-note - I'm also a former anthro person! Were you cultural or biological? I think both wind up being helpful in medicine.

Hello to everyone. I am new non-traditional member here at SD looking for advice about my situation.

I am 27 and finished an M.A. degree in Anthropology (did not want to finish PhD because I wanted to go into medicine), then decided to stay at my current institution (Midwest 4-year university) to take the pre-requisites. However, I am OOS and opted to only take one course this year (General Chemistry) so I could apply for residency. I thought long and hard about just going straight to HES but decided against it because I was worried about not having means of supporting myself in a more expensive city and felt that the uni's position as an R1 provided more opportunities for volunteer work and research. I also did not want to just move to a new city without a support network (grad school was pretty stressful so I wanted to make the transition more manageable).

My issue at the moment is that despite doing everything required for residency I am not certain if I will receive it. If I don't I would need to spend additional time as a part-time student, which would not look well on my applications. I can certainly apply for residency, but the application date is too close to the Fall 2013 term for me to feel comfortable about it.

Would it be better for me to apply to HES and make arrangements for life in Boston? Has it been easy for students there to find steady employment and research/volunteering opportunities? My plan is to apply for med school in 2014 so I would like to avoid delaying this more than is necessary.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

When will you know whether or not you've gotten residency in your current state? Seems to me like the best option could be to apply to HES (the application is pretty simple) and then see where everything pans out. The classes here are cheap compared to pretty much anywhere else (~$1200 each), and they're challenging but prepare you well. I think that doing most of your premed stuff here would be a positive thing on your med school application.

In terms of getting a job, there are tons of hospitals and research opportunities in Boston. I posted last page with information about how to go about getting a research position, so that might be helpful for you. And if you live in Somerville/JP/parts of Cambridge, the rent won't be too terrible. I think it's worth it. Also, while you're putting in your HES application, you could start emailing PIs of labs you want to work at and see if you can get a research job lined up, too, and then maybe base your final decision on how that all pans out, along with the residency application?

Thank you for pointing me to your post. Very informative!

Regarding residency, an employee at the Registrar said I could submit my application now; the process normally takes 6-8 so I should know by the end of the semester. Even if I do get residency, though, I wonder if I would not benefit more from taking my remaining course elsewhere. The social scene here is terrible, with little to do outside of going to bars and everyone I know is a grad student about to graduate or move to do research. I am also the only person above the age of 19 taking these courses, which is frustrating. These are minor quibbles, but the isolation does make it harder to stay positive and focused.

Classes here are also curved; which doesn't mean much if you get great grades and maintain a good GPA, but might not favor me if I am competing with students from universities known for their grueling coursework. And judging by posts from HES students, the workload there is more intense and better prepares you for the MCAT.

Unrelated side-note - I'm also a former anthro person! Were you cultural or biological? I think both wind up being helpful in medicine.

Cool! I was cultural but enjoy biological and linguistic anthro as well. And it is helpful, and seems to be viewed favorably by a lot of people I have spoken with so far (my chemistry professor said to me last semester his colleagues at the COM here were "starving" for people with social science backgrounds).

Yeah, I say do it. Classes are cheap here, it's a very good program, everyone is an adult (I can't cope with the teenagers either! I'm also 27), Boston and Cambridge are fun, and there's ton of hospital and research experience. It seems like a very good choice for you! Let us know how it goes :)

Thank you for pointing me to your post. Very informative!

Regarding residency, an employee at the Registrar said I could submit my application now; the process normally takes 6-8 so I should know by the end of the semester. Even if I do get residency, though, I wonder if I would not benefit more from taking my remaining course elsewhere. The social scene here is terrible, with little to do outside of going to bars and everyone I know is a grad student about to graduate or move to do research. I am also the only person above the age of 19 taking these courses, which is frustrating. These are minor quibbles, but the isolation does make it harder to stay positive and focused.

Classes here are also curved; which doesn't mean much if you get great grades and maintain a good GPA, but might not favor me if I am competing with students from universities known for their grueling coursework. And judging by posts from HES students, the workload there is more intense and better prepares you for the MCAT.

Cool! I was cultural but enjoy biological and linguistic anthro as well. And it is helpful, and seems to be viewed favorably by a lot of people I have spoken with so far (my chemistry professor said to me last semester his colleagues at the COM here were "starving" for people with social science backgrounds).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement, oldcrumb. I know that finishing at HES will work in my favor, so long as I do well in my courses (and I intend to!). The more I think about it the more I think I should skip applying for residency and move to Boston. Hopefully this switch won't be looked at unfavorably by admission committees come application time;I have been working/volunteering this past year, but have had no luck finding research positions.

The only downside to HES would be paying for expenses. From what I've read in previous HES threads a lot of students opt to take unpaid internships/research positions and take out private loans, but I guess that happens in a city with so many pre-meds.

As for classes, my intention was to take bio/orgo/phys in the fall and spring semesters but most people advise against this. My current school doesn't condense both semesters in the summer, so my options would be:

1. Take all three in the spring/fall and severly hurt my chances of scoring well on the MCAT as I would have no time to study for it.
2. Bite the money bullet and sign up for summer Bio at HES then take Phy/Orgo
3. Take the first bio or phys at my current school then finish second semester at HES in the spring (too messy and would leave me no time to prepare for the MCAT).

Any suggestions?

Sounds like #2 is best - it'll be worth it in the long run if you do well in your classes and the MCAT (and it's really a drop in the terrifying bucket of debt you'll be taking on in med school, anyways). I managed to get federal loans for the first year (I guess you get 5 years for undergrad, so I had an extra year), so you might be able to get those low-interest loans if you've only gotten federal loans for 4 yrs during undergrad.

Also, if you do really well you can get one of your classes paid for in the spring. I had one glorious semester where I got an A in bio 1, physics 1, and academic writing, and then a magical check for the cost of physics 2 appeared in my mailbox in February. I don't know exactly what the criteria was there, but that's my experience with it.

If you work at Harvard over 17.5 hours a week or make over $15,000 a year, you get a free class every semester, so that's definitely a place to target for work. It doesn't have to be research either.

One final idea would be to take 2nd semester bio at your school this summer (if you can do that), then tackle the 1's of bio/phys/orgo for the fall semester and "only" have to deal with orgo 2 and physics 2 in the spring. That will leave you some more time for mcat studying when you need it most, too. I started in January with bio 2 and calc, since I just wanted to get going, and then took bio 1 out-of-order in the fall, and it worked fine - bio isn't particularly cumulative the way the other classes are.

We get over a month off for winter break too (mid-Dec to very end of Jan), so that's helpful for getting a bunch of MCAT content review squared away.

Thanks for the encouragement, oldcrumb. I know that finishing at HES will work in my favor, so long as I do well in my courses (and I intend to!). The more I think about it the more I think I should skip applying for residency and move to Boston. Hopefully this switch won't be looked at unfavorably by admission committees come application time;I have been working/volunteering this past year, but have had no luck finding research positions.

The only downside to HES would be paying for expenses. From what I've read in previous HES threads a lot of students opt to take unpaid internships/research positions and take out private loans, but I guess that happens in a city with so many pre-meds.

As for classes, my intention was to take bio/orgo/phys in the fall and spring semesters but most people advise against this. My current school doesn't condense both semesters in the summer, so my options would be:

1. Take all three in the spring/fall and severly hurt my chances of scoring well on the MCAT as I would have no time to study for it.
2. Bite the money bullet and sign up for summer Bio at HES then take Phy/Orgo
3. Take the first bio or phys at my current school then finish second semester at HES in the spring (too messy and would leave me no time to prepare for the MCAT).

Any suggestions?

Hey entresuspiros. I'm not sure what your exact situation is but I think the two year program that they recommend of phys/gchem and ochem/bio is really good for numerous reasons. If there's a way you can make it work where you can do the recommended program then I would recommend you do that.

Btw, HES is a great place to be for a postbac. So many opportunities and awesome classes.

Just realized it- my two year anniversary on here. Wow!

Also, if you do really well you can get one of your classes paid for in the spring. I had one glorious semester where I got an A in bio 1, physics 1, and academic writing, and then a magical check for the cost of physics 2 appeared in my mailbox in February. I don't know exactly what the criteria was there, but that's my experience with it.

??????? More details on this please. I haven't heard of this. What information came with the check?

Has this happened to anyone else?

??????? More details on this please. I haven't heard of this. What information came with the check?

Nope. I've had semesters with all A's too, but no magical checks for me :/

Thoughts on the bio exam?
I know I'm jinxing myself but I thought it was relatively easy, compared to last semester. It was really similar to the practice exam(s). Not saying I did well but I felt pretty good coming out of it.

It was substantially longer than the practice exam (last year's exam) though. Tooooo much writing. Hand hurt after. Finished with only like 15 minutes left on the clock.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the bio exam?
I know I'm jinxing myself but I thought it was relatively easy, compared to last semester. It was really similar to the practice exam(s). Not saying I did well but I felt pretty good coming out of it.

It was substantially longer than the practice exam (last year's exam) though. Tooooo much writing. Hand hurt after. Finished with only like 15 minutes left on the clock.

I didn't think it was similar to the practice exam. Seemed like there was a lot more "medium" length answers, whereas the practice exam had more diagrams, and "short" 1-10 word answer questions. The practice exam took ~45min, and the actual exam took ~90. Yes I was being more careful and detailed, but I was also writing much faster than I wrote when I took the practice exam.

There was also more emphasis on peripheral topics than I expected. me studying: "glucagon? no way that will be on the test. moving on to the next topic." "notch pathway? yeah right, maybe 1 point. moving on to the next topic." We had 7 lectures to study and we're tested on the notch pathway mechanism that we learned last semester? Luckily those peripheral topics, while there were several of them, were usually only 1 or 2 points.

I don't know. I have mixed feelings. It's hard to remember a lot of it. I didn't come away upset about anything though. It was a good test. However it's so hard to know if you did well on these biology tests, since it's easy to misinterpret a question, or not mention the specific words they are looking for your answer, even though you understand the topic.

Yeah I meant the test was similar in difficulty to the practice tests but required a lot more writing and time to complete.
I agree on the testing of peripheral topics. Although he did spend quite a bit of time on the Notch pathway in class. Personally I was surprised that they put how light on a photoreceptor causes an action potential. Did you guys put the photon->cis/trans retinal->transducin->phosphodiesterase->cGMP/GMP->na+ channel pathway? I was unsure of what to put at first. That slide just had the illustration and no text. And he put it on the test ....? Did you guys put that pathway down?

Yeah I meant the test was similar in difficulty to the practice tests but required a lot more writing and time to complete.
I agree on the testing of peripheral topics. Although he did spend quite a bit of time on the Notch pathway in class. Personally I was surprised that they put how light on a photoreceptor causes an action potential. Did you guys put the photon->cis/trans retinal->transducin->phosphodiesterase->cGMP/GMP->na+ channel pathway? I was unsure of what to put at first. That slide just had the illustration and no text. And he put it on the test ....? Did you guys put that pathway down?

All I could remember was cis --> trans retinal after absorbing a photon, activating opsin as a gpcr, which causes na+ channels to close. I couldn't remember the details of transducin & phosphodiesterase so I left those out and kind of glossed over the middle of the mechanism. I also mentioned that it's normally depolarized, and this process hyperpolarizes it, which gets interpreted as light. hopefully I get some partial credit.

Howdy, I'm new to this board and was hoping someone would be willing to offer advise about how to best prepare for the HCP program.

I was a business major many years ago (class of '03) and have decided to make a career change with the hope of applying to medical school. I was accepted to the HCP and I'm planning on starting this September. I’m nervous and anxious about the rigors of classes and am unsure if I’ve got what it takes to succeed.

Question: knowing what you know now, what would you recommend to someone in my shoes in terms of academic preparation? What should I do over the next 5 months to get myself ready?

Thank you very much - I really appreciate any insight or suggestions you have, Cheers!:)

Sounds like #2 is best - it'll be worth it in the long run if you do well in your classes and the MCAT (and it's really a drop in the terrifying bucket of debt you'll be taking on in med school, anyways). I managed to get federal loans for the first year (I guess you get 5 years for undergrad, so I had an extra year), so you might be able to get those low-interest loans if you've only gotten federal loans for 4 yrs during undergrad.

If you work at Harvard over 17.5 hours a week or make over $15,000 a year, you get a free class every semester, so that's definitely a place to target for work. It doesn't have to be research either.

One final idea would be to take 2nd semester bio at your school this summer (if you can do that), then tackle the 1's of bio/phys/orgo for the fall semester and "only" have to deal with orgo 2 and physics 2 in the spring. That will leave you some more time for mcat studying when you need it most, too. I started in January with bio 2 and calc, since I just wanted to get going, and then took bio 1 out-of-order in the fall, and it worked fine - bio isn't particularly cumulative the way the other classes are.

We get over a month off for winter break too (mid-Dec to very end of Jan), so that's helpful for getting a bunch of MCAT content review squared away.

Unfortunately UI doesn't permit students to take Bio out of sequence. The department adviser told me that the general biology course structure isn't standardized in the US like it is with chemistry so you are bound to the 1-2 sequence (students who take only one semester at another institution have to enroll for the whole year). As far as expenses go, I've never taken out a loan so I do have access to Federal loans and have enough savings to get by for the summer and pay fall tuition.

So it seems like all signs point to me starting at HES this summer, and it's almost April! How long does it usually take to hear from them about acceptance?

Also, for those of who you have started HCP in the summer, how did you fare on the apartment hunt? Were you able to find a place that permitted you to sign on for the following year? If anyone is on the lookout for a roommate for the summer or knows someone looking to sublet let me know!

Howdy, I'm new to this board and was hoping someone would be willing to offer advise about how to best prepare for the HCP program.

I was a business major many years ago (class of '03) and have decided to make a career change with the hope of applying to medical school. I was accepted to the HCP and I'm planning on starting this September. I’m nervous and anxious about the rigors of classes and am unsure if I’ve got what it takes to succeed.

Question: knowing what you know now, what would you recommend to someone in my shoes in terms of academic preparation? What should I do over the next 5 months to get myself ready?

Thank you very much - I really appreciate any insight or suggestions you have, Cheers!:)
Welcome, GoofyFoot. I'm sure there will be many people on this board that can offer advice. I also came from a business background and I'm the 2nd year of the standard 2 year route (did chem/phys last year and I'm in orgo/bio this year). I don't know what your situation is, but if I were talking to myself 2 years ago I would say there's no need to do any prep-work for class at this point. When it gets closer to start date (maybe within a month) I would brush up on trigonometry a bit, because it will help with Physics. But it doesn't need to be a rigorous review, just revisit the SohCahToa principles and get comfortable with thinking in terms of trig.

If you want to go above and beyond that, I would say peruse some of the Khan Academy videos on Chemistry and Physics. Really try to understand what's going on. That will start to get your brain into the "science realm" rather than the business one. But honestly don't feel like you need spend a ton of time preparing for class before it even starts. Time would probably be better spent thinking about other aspects of your application, such as letters of recommendation, volunteer work, and shadowing.

As far as second year, I used the "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" book that everyone talks about. I went through the first half of it in the last month before starting Orgo, and I did find it helpful. I would recommend it (at least the first half :) )

Just a thought, would you be taking the MCAT in 2015? Isn't that when it's going to have the social and behavioral sciences section? Might have to consider whether there are any classes you'll need to take for that. I'm sure Dr. Fixsen and other resources can provide you with more information about that when the time comes.

I got one last year in the spring. I had 3 A-'s and 2 A's (one was from summer chem). It just showed up in the mail one day, and when I checked online, there was a notation showing that I had received the "scholarship". IIRC, you're eligible if you have 1) Good grades over a number of courses, 2) filed a FAFSA, 3) Need monies now. It seems they don't give out many, so consider yourself lucky if you do get one.

I was a business major many years ago (class of '03) and have decided to make a career change with the hope of applying to medical school. I was accepted to the HCP and I'm planning on starting this September. I'm nervous and anxious about the rigors of classes and am unsure if I've got what it takes to succeed.

I'm glad I took precalc and calc 1 the summer before starting gen chem and physics. You don't really need calc, it does help with graph questions and sin/cos wave characteristics but it's not needed. I would definitely recommend you either take a pre-calc course with a lot of algebra and trig, or study them on your own.
The physics professor likes to put physics questions that appear to be straight math/algebra type questions, so much that you forget you're doing a physics problem in the first place.
There is quite a bit of algebra in gen chem too, including equations with logarithms. I think the gen chem students are probably dreading doing mechanism problems where your answer requires a full page of straight algebra.

Medwonk,

Late congrats on your mcat. That's a big-time score and should set you up for a successful application cycle.

Do you mind sharing how you studied for the BS section? Did you use TBR? I got some time this spring break and bio (specifically genetics) is my weakest subject so I want to review a little. Maybe do a cursory first pass before I do an in-depth study this summer when I actually start full-time prep.
I have TBR, TPRH SW and I can pick up EK at the coop anytime. I heard from several high-scorers that EK 1001 bio is sufficient. I also read on SDN that TBR bio is the most challenging but a little over the top and too in depth. Just wanted to get your take on it.

Medwonk,

Late congrats on your mcat. That's a big-time score and should set you up for a successful application cycle.

Do you mind sharing how you studied for the BS section? Did you use TBR? I got some time this spring break and bio (specifically genetics) is my weakest subject so I want to review a little. Maybe do a cursory first pass before I do an in-depth study this summer when I actually start full-time prep.
I have TBR, TPRH SW and I can pick up EK at the coop anytime. I heard from several high-scorers that EK 1001 bio is sufficient. I also read on SDN that TBR bio is the most challenging but a little over the top and too in depth. Just wanted to get your take on it.

Thanks, brah!

I used TBR Bio for the BS section. I did not use EK for the sciences. I read the first chapter of EK, and then set it aside and decided to use TBR instead. Bio was my weakest area as well, and I decided I needed a crazy, over-the-top review to really succeed. My take is that TBR is indeed overkill in a few areas, particularly genetics (these chapters are incredibly demoralizing if you haven't taken genetics). The metabolism (biochem) chapters were difficult at first, but after taking biochem were super easy. This doesn't mean you need to take biochem, but what I took away from studying from the MCAT is that there are a few classes that seem like they would be very high-yield for the MCAT (molecular bio, biochem, and genetics). I will say that despite the difficulty of TBR, it was well worth it.

The physiology on the MCAT isn't difficult, and just about everything you need to know is taught in the second semester of Bio. The physiology chapters for TBR should be a straight-up review for the most part.

You may see a lot of complaints regarding TBR, usually about how difficult it is, but always keep in mind that the test writers won't cut you any slack on the actual MCAT, so you shouldn't take it easy on yourself, either.

I only used EK for verbal. I did a little bit of EK 1001, but found it to be lacking. I think they can be useful if after TBR you find that you're still having trouble answering questions, but I would hold off on getting them in the meantime.

TPRH workbooks are solid and I highly recommend them, both verbal and science.

I did SN2ed, but modified it to fit my needs and schedule. I cut out EK (except verbal), did seven or eight verbal passages/day instead of two or three, took Sundays/holidays off, took a few days before biochem exams off, took some days off during Thanksgiving, didn't study between Christmas and New Year's, and the day before the exam and the day of I did not study at all. I spread out my studying over 14 weeks, with about 10 or 10.5 weeks of actual studying. My brain felt like mush, but the score made the pain totally worth it.

Awesome man. Thanks very much for that post. I think I'll stick to my plan of using TBR for bio. I did the first book of TBR physics and found the passages to be really good; that gave me a really good impression of TBR. I like going after the challenging problems and getting my butt kicked, I learn best/fastest that way.
Good to hear that the physiology TBR book was mostly review. Hopefully I feel the same way after this semester. I know I'm gonna have to start from the ground-up for the mol bio and genetics.
By the way, are you taking classes this semester? Which?

Awesome man. Thanks very much for that post. I think I'll stick to my plan of using TBR for bio. I did the first book of TBR physics and found the passages to be really good; that gave me a really good impression of TBR. I like going after the challenging problems and getting my butt kicked, I learn best/fastest that way.
Good to hear that the physiology TBR book was mostly review. Hopefully I feel the same way after this semester. I know I'm gonna have to start from the ground-up for the mol bio and genetics.
By the way, are you taking classes this semester? Which?

I'm taking cell bio. Just started working, just wrapped up volunteering at the hospital, and trying to get some shadowing under my belt. Every doctor so far has either ignored me or given me some spiel about HIPAA (which is bull****).

Hi HES post-bacs! I hope that you aren't all too swamped with classes at the moment to offer your advice regarding HES vs. formal post bacs.

I've received acceptances at a handful of the smaller and more structured post-bac programs in addition to HES (BU, Brandeis, USC). The allure of HES is appealing (particularly re: low cost + reputation). However, I'm hesitant about the large class size, fewer resources for advising and support, and higher level of competition.

What are your thoughts regarding HES vs. formal structured post bacs? Do you feel that you are able to receive all of the support you want at HES, or would you feel that a more structured program would be beneficial? I'm trying to figure out if the extra peace of mind is worth the significant extra cost.

Thanks in advance!

Hi HES post-bacs! I hope that you aren't all too swamped with classes at the moment to offer your advice regarding HES vs. formal post bacs.

I've received acceptances at a handful of the smaller and more structured post-bac programs in addition to HES (BU, Brandeis, USC). The allure of HES is appealing (particularly re: low cost + reputation). However, I'm hesitant about the large class size, fewer resources for advising and support, and higher level of competition.

What are your thoughts regarding HES vs. formal structured post bacs? Do you feel that you are able to receive all of the support you want at HES, or would you feel that a more structured program would be beneficial? I'm trying to figure out if the extra peace of mind is worth the significant extra cost.

Thanks in advance!
The classes are large but not curved so they aren't competitive. They also have smaller discussion sessions and ways to learn in smaller groups if that is your learning style. You will have few choices to make about classes (everyone takes physics, bio, chem, and orgo) so the lack of advising isn't that big of an issue there. I guess overall it just depends on what you are comfortable with and where you'd like to be, but don't expect lots and lots of face time with advisors at HES.

Its likely that people successfully get to medical school from any of the post baccs you are considering, so just study hard and good luck.

The classes are large but not curved so they aren't competitive. They also have smaller discussion sessions and ways to learn in smaller groups if that is your learning style. You will have few choices to make about classes (everyone takes physics, bio, chem, and orgo) so the lack of advising isn't that big of an issue there. I guess overall it just depends on what you are comfortable with and where you'd like to be, but don't expect lots and lots of face time with advisors at HES.

Its likely that people successfully get to medical school from any of the post baccs you are considering, so just study hard and good luck.

bio is curved, fyi. agree with everything else you said.

I'm glad I took precalc and calc 1 the summer before starting gen chem and physics. You don't really need calc, it does help with graph questions and sin/cos wave characteristics but it's not needed. I would definitely recommend you either take a pre-calc course with a lot of algebra and trig, or study them on your own.
The physics professor likes to put physics questions that appear to be straight math/algebra type questions, so much that you forget you're doing a physics problem in the first place.
There is quite a bit of algebra in gen chem too, including equations with logarithms. I think the gen chem students are probably dreading doing mechanism problems where your answer requires a full page of straight algebra.

Thanks for your advice, I agree that taking a pre-calc course is a good idea. Did you take the pre-calc course at Harvard Extension/Summer School?

I'm thinking about getting started this summer by taking the pre-calc class at Harvard's Summer school. The class is expensive ($2,700) though, so I'm still wondering if it's worth the cost of taking it there or at a cheaper community college or online.

Thanks again, any further advise or insight you have would be welcome...Cheers!

I don't know anything about precalc, but Calc with Eric Towne is fantastic. He's one of the best teachers I've had. It's challenging, but he's so good at explaining everything that you'll wind up doing well, and he's a fair grader. His first couple lectures review precalc stuff too, if you need a refresher. I took it in the spring before starting up the standard premed stuff that summer.

You could try taking the math placement test and see how you do: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/re...uidelines/placement-tests/math-placement-test

It's technically required for Calc (although he didn't make any of us take it), but it could help you see if you can skip precalc or if you'd be better off taking it. Especially as a business major, you'd probably be fine just brushing up with a textbook or checking out the Khan Academy precalc videos or something along those lines:

http://theopenacademy.com/content/precalculus

Thanks for your advice, I agree that taking a pre-calc course is a good idea. Did you take the pre-calc course at Harvard Extension/Summer School?

I'm thinking about getting started this summer by taking the pre-calc class at Harvard's Summer school. The class is expensive ($2,700) though, so I'm still wondering if it's worth the cost of taking it there or at a cheaper community college or online.

Is pre-calc called out as a pre-requisite for any of your courses? If not, then I would hold off on spending a bunch of money thinking a pre-calc course would be worth it. Just my opinion. I think you will find everything you need on Khan Academy. Yes there's math involved but it's not overly complex, and it's a finite number of concepts. If you want another opinion you can email the professors.

I believe Dr. Reuckner provides a math assessment on the course website well in advance of the course. You could use that to assess which concepts you need to brush up on.

I don't know, just my opinion. I think if you feel like you're really rusty in math then spend some time reviewing on your own, not with an entire course. If you have always had difficulty with math in general, then yes maybe a course is warranted.

Also you could take the course and then the concept might not come up in chem/phys until 6 months later and maybe you forgot what you learned in the precalc class. If you're in a chem or phys lecture and some math comes up that you're not familiar with (let's say logarithms for example) go home and brush up on it and you're fine.

Anyone else currently taking cell bio? Pretty bummed with myself on that first exam...

I took pre-calc and calc at umass boston. Both classes were about the same price for one Harvard SS class. :thumbup:

Good luck to all taking the ochem exam. Carbonyl grid what?! I got bronchitis! Aint nobody got time fo' that!

Good luck to all taking the ochem exam. Carbonyl grid what?! I got bronchitis! Aint nobody got time fo' that!

The carbonyl grid seems a bit more manageable now after some practice, but all those mechanisms are something else.. Good luck!

The carbonyl grid seems a bit more manageable now after some practice, but all those mechanisms are something else.. Good luck!

As long as you can get yourself to an ester, a carboxylic acid or an aldehyde you're good. I find that I'm always thinking of those three molecules in my head when running syntheses.

Also, do not forget about CO2 + grignard for an instant carboxylic acid. KMn04 + benzyllic proton is a nice shortcut too.

I agree though, the mechs are going to be the make or break here. I think as you as you follow conventions and look at the end product it's not too bad, but who knows what tricks Brandon will pull out of his hat.

imo, toughest ochem test so far. Felt like they were testing a lot of first unit stuff, more than I anticipated.

imo, toughest ochem test so far. Felt like they were testing a lot of first unit stuff, more than I anticipated.

I almost fell for a nasty trick in the box problems.

Thank god I double checked my answers.

I almost fell for a nasty trick in the box problems.

Thank god I double checked my answers.

Yes, definitely the toughest one for me too. I'm taking the MCAT in a week, so burnout/ zero F's to give might have had a little bit to do with that feeling, too. May 17th cannot come fast enough! Also, it will probably look something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UvxxYIv3U

I have officially decided to attend the HES program starting this June! I will be taking Gen Chem I & II in summer school. I am currently looking for places to live and was wondering if Lowell, MA is too far away to live from HES? I have a car, but I wasn't sure how bad the winters were and if snow would be an issue in getting to class if I am coming from Lowell.

I have officially decided to attend the HES program starting this June! I will be taking Gen Chem I & II in summer school. I am currently looking for places to live and was wondering if Lowell, MA is too far away to live from HES? I have a car, but I wasn't sure how bad the winters were and if snow would be an issue in getting to class if I am coming from Lowell.

Over an hour in traffic. You'll be going against the grain at night, but it's still pretty far.

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has taken summer Biochemistry, and their thoughts on it as far as difficulty and time required. Would you think it is reasonable to take the course and work full time? It is at night which is good. I have Orgo and Biochem as the last pre-reqs I need to complete. I'm thinking it might be nice to avoid Orgo and Biochem at the same time next year if possible, since by all accounts Orgo seems like a beast. Also, could anyone recommend an upper level science class they have taken that would be manageable to take along with Orgo in the fall? I'm choosing between Anatomy, Histology & Microbiology. I don't want to jeopardize Orgo success but would love to take more than one class for the year while continuing working.