Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the orgo lectures are being recorded this semester? They were last semester, but now we have a different professor, so I realize this may not be the case. Thanks!

Yes they are. You should tune into this weeks since I named my favorite reaction and almost gave Logan a heart attack.

Members don't see this ad.

Hell-Volhard-Zelinsky?

E2 elimination with KOTBU/HOTBU, pronounced exactly like it's spelled. He seemed almost offended that someone would call potassium tert-butoxide KOTBU. It's going to be a lovely semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
E2 elimination with KOTBU/HOTBU, pronounced exactly like it's spelled. He seemed almost offended that someone would call potassium tert-butoxide KOTBU. It's going to be a lovely semester.

:laugh:
I remember my TF doing the same thing. I never thought anything of it, but then again, I always pronounce mCPBA like it's an Irish name (think McDonald). Or refer to PBr3 as the ironic reagent.

Is anyone else starting to get the impression that Anderson asked Media Services not to post lectures immediately following class? Maybe to encourage attendance?

He did, but what was also interesting was he kept calling Hydrogens "H's". Not that I care. I appreciate that he tries to simplify the science so that everyone can follow along.

Yes they are. You should tune into this weeks since I named my favorite reaction and almost gave Logan a heart attack.

Ah, thanks! That's a relief. It's not up on the website yet, so I was having a mild freak-out last night about that.

Hi all! I hope this is the right thread for this question...

I am applying to HES (HCP) and hope to begin in Summer 2013. I was hoping to be eligible for a diploma, but I have taken a year of biology. However, I took this course 10 years ago...is there anything out there in regards to when past courses expire per the HES policy? Also, I made a C in 101 and a B in 102 so my sGPA is about 2.5...will this hurt my chances? My overall GPA according to the AMCAS calculator is 3.04.

If I am not eligible for the diploma, will this be viewed differently to admissions committees? What are the perks?

Also..just to be sure, LOR's are not needed for the application? Would they help or are they completely not needed?

Hi all! I hope this is the right thread for this question...

I am applying to HES (HCP) and hope to begin in Summer 2013. I was hoping to be eligible for a diploma, but I have taken a year of biology. However, I took this course 10 years ago...is there anything out there in regards to when past courses expire per the HES policy? Also, I made a C in 101 and a B in 102 so my sGPA is about 2.5...will this hurt my chances? My overall GPA according to the AMCAS calculator is 3.04.

If I am not eligible for the diploma, will this be viewed differently to admissions committees? What are the perks?

Also..just to be sure, LOR's are not needed for the application? Would they help or are they completely not needed?

You won't be eligible for the diploma, but it won't matter to admissions committees, and doesn't affect acceptance into HCP. Being a diploma student gets you an ID card, which makes access to some buildings (library, computer labs, etc.) less of a pain.

Whether or not you'll be accepted into the program is something we can't really say for sure. Only Dr. Fixsen (the program director) could answer that question for you. I will say, though, that with your sGPA being below a 3.0, you chances of being accepted right off the bat are probably low. You'd likely have to re-do intro Bio and get at least an A- to show that you can handle the work, and do whatever needs to be done to raise your sGPA to at least a 3.0. Either way, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

LORs aren't required, and probably wouldn't help much.

Hi everyone! I recently submitted my application to HES and I got an email from Dr. Fixsen saying that due to changes in federal law and financial aid, they can no longer offer the option of a diploma in pre-medical studies. He asked if I was still interested in the program (because I indicated I wanted to receive the diploma on my application) and I told him I was.

Just wondering - for those of you already in the program, has the option for the diploma been taken away for you as well? Also, how much of a pain is it to get around without an ID card? (From what I've read on the forum it seems as though you can only have an ID card if you were on track for the diploma).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I recently submitted my application to HES and I got an email from Dr. Fixsen saying that due to changes in federal law and financial aid, they can no longer offer the option of a diploma in pre-medical studies. He asked if I was still interested in the program (because I indicated I wanted to receive the diploma on my application) and I told him I was.

Just wondering - for those of you already in the program, has the option for the diploma been taken away for you as well? Also, how much of a pain is it to get around without an ID card? (From what I've read on the forum it seems as though you can only have an ID card if you were on track for the diploma).

I don't have an ID card and it's not a pain AT ALL. There are plenty of quiet rooms in the science center to study in (if that's your thing), you can use the HES computer lab by showing a copy of your registration and you don't need a swipe to access the science center.

Did he elaborate on what sort of changes in the law happened? Or what changes occurred in financial aid?

Thanks for the feedback. I lived in the midwest for a couple of years so I know how brutal winters can get. I've never been to the east coast though. Do you guys have any problems getting the courses you need to get your pre-reqs done in a timely manner? How is the advising staff? It's great to know there are other Californians out there. I thought I was crazy for even thinking of moving to Boston just to do Harvard Extension.

In general, you shouldn't have a problem getting into the courses you want. They open up for registration several weeks (over a month) before the semester starts, which is plenty of time to sign up. Just make sure you don't wait until the day before, because I have heard of some people getting wait-listed, but they did eventually get a spot (I'm assuming since others ended up dropping).

People generally say that the advising (i.e. Dr. Fixsen) is great. I've had some good discussions with him and often leave with some food for thought about the med school application process and what I can do to maximize my time here to make myself a better applicant, etc. There have also been times where I thought he was unnecessarily harsh, but that's just his style. I guess he just doesn't want anyone to get complacent, so he does that by giving you a sort of reality check.

Congrats on making the switch to medicine, though! :) I remember when I first decided to make the switch and how exciting a time it was. I also know of several Californians out here as well, so you won't be alone!

Is anyone else starting to get the impression that Anderson asked Media Services not to post lectures immediately following class? Maybe to encourage attendance?

The second lecture is now up, but not the first. I have a feeling the first one was not recorded, because right before the first class, I met with Casey to view my final exam from last semester, and she mentioned that there were some issues and that the lectures might not be recorded at all this semester, although Anderson didn't mention anything about it.

Hi everyone!
It's my first time writing on the forum after looking around many many days, so please excuse me and let me know if I should discuss this somewhere else.. :oops:

I graduated from college (ranked top 30~35) in 2011 with both cGPA and sGPA around 3.3, bio major and math minor.
To be honest I didn't know I had to actually study to get good grades and was pretty immature for not caring about my grades (even though I've been wanting to become a doctor since I was in kindergarten). I took the MCAT as soon as I graduated and got 34P on my second try (31Q on my first) after studying during the summer.

Now I'm taking classes at HES (three courses last semester: A in Human A&P, A in biochem, A- in Comparative A&P of vertebrates, and two more this semester: immunology and Human A&P II), hoping to improve my GPA to get into med schools.

I don't have much experience in the research area except for one semester course of Research on Neuroscience during my undergrad, and have some volunteering experiences at hospitals. ( I'm dying to find a research assistant position but haven't been lucky..)

With my stats, would I be able to get into med schools (I really want to stay in Boston or new england in general) if I apply this summer?

I would like to hear advice from various people, so hopefully some of you might have some opinions on this..

Thanks! :)

Hi everyone!
It's my first time writing on the forum after looking around many many days, so please excuse me and let me know if I should discuss this somewhere else.. :oops:

I graduated from college (ranked top 30~35) in 2011 with both cGPA and sGPA around 3.3, bio major and math minor.
To be honest I didn't know I had to actually study to get good grades and was pretty immature for not caring about my grades (even though I've been wanting to become a doctor since I was in kindergarten). I took the MCAT as soon as I graduated and got 34P on my second try (31Q on my first) after studying during the summer.

Now I'm taking classes at HES (three courses last semester: A in Human A&P, A in biochem, A- in Comparative A&P of vertebrates, and two more this semester: immunology and Human A&P II), hoping to improve my GPA to get into med schools.

I don't have much experience in the research area except for one semester course of Research on Neuroscience during my undergrad, and have some volunteering experiences at hospitals. ( I'm dying to find a research assistant position but haven't been lucky..)

With my stats, would I be able to get into med schools (I really want to stay in Boston or new england in general) if I apply this summer?

I would like to hear advice from various people, so hopefully some of you might have some opinions on this..

Thanks! :)

Depending on what your current cGPA is, you could be competitive for your state school and "low-tier" allo schools that take a lot of OOS applicants. You'd definitely be competitive for osteopathic med schools. If you have a particularly compelling story, you could sell yourself to "mid-tier" schools.

How long ago did you take the MCAT? If it's been more than two years when you apply, you might have to take it again depending on what schools you apply to. Some schools will take MCAT scores out to three years, others two years.

I think you MCAT and GPA are likely fine and the thing that would really make your application complete is ECs. How much volunteering do you have in a hospital setting? Clinical exposure is probably the most important EC you can have. Volunteering is also very important.

Depending on where you want to apply to school and what your goals are, research may or may not be a must. If you plan to apply to a top 20-25 allopathic school or going for an MD/PhD or DO/PhD, then you should seriously consider doing research, even if it's unpaid. If you're going straight MD at a "mid-tier", "low-tier", or going straight DO, then research is optional. Lacking research won't hurt your chances at these schools so long as you have other significant ECs. Having research experience over a significant period of time is always beneficial, but don't do it if you don't like it. You're better off spending your energy in other ECs you enjoy if they're more your style.

Shadowing is a requirement/highly recommended. A lot of DO schools want an LOR from a physician.

Other ECs that could be looked upon favorably include teaching, leadership, and military service. A significant period of employment is usually looked upon favorably. There are other things that can flesh out your ECs (being a student athlete, having some hobby over a significant amount of time, any other skills you may have). The thing to remember is that quality>>>quantity, so don't go loading up on a dozen ECs over a few months. It would be better to have five or six significant ECs than 10-12 ECs that lasted just a few weeks or a couple of months.

It's the beginning of the end for some of us!!!

Last edited:
Depending on what your current cGPA is, you could be competitive for your state school and "low-tier" allo schools that take a lot of OOS applicants. You'd definitely be competitive for osteopathic med schools. If you have a particularly compelling story, you could sell yourself to "mid-tier" schools.

How long ago did you take the MCAT? If it's been more than two years when you apply, you might have to take it again depending on what schools you apply to. Some schools will take MCAT scores out to three years, others two years.

I think you MCAT and GPA are likely fine and the thing that would really make your application complete is ECs. How much volunteering do you have in a hospital setting? Clinical exposure is probably the most important EC you can have. Volunteering is also very important.

Depending on where you want to apply to school and what your goals are, research may or may not be a must. If you plan to apply to a top 20-25 allopathic school or going for an MD/PhD or DO/PhD, then you should seriously consider doing research, even if it's unpaid. If you're going straight MD at a "mid-tier", "low-tier", or going straight DO, then research is optional. Lacking research won't hurt your chances at these schools so long as you have other significant ECs. Having research experience over a significant period of time is always beneficial, but don't do it if you don't like it. You're better off spending your energy in other ECs you enjoy if they're more your style.

Shadowing is a requirement/highly recommended. A lot of DO schools want an LOR from a physician.

Other ECs that could be looked upon favorably include teaching, leadership, and military service. A significant period of employment is usually looked upon favorably. There are other things that can flesh out your ECs (being a student athlete, having some hobby over a significant amount of time, any other skills you may have). The thing to remember is that quality>>>quantity, so don't go loading up on a dozen ECs over a few months. It would be better to have five or six significant ECs than 10-12 ECs that lasted just a few weeks or a couple of months.
Thanks for your reply!
I'm a US citizen but for some reasons I don't have a state residency, so unfortunately I don't have any advantage toward certain state schools...I definitely don't look at tiers/ranks/names since I know my stats are not so competitive. I took the MCAT in 2011, so hopefully I'll get in this coming cycle and don't have to take it again.
Since I had to move back and forth from the States to Korea (where my parents live) for summer and winter breaks, a few volunteering experiences are short-term... But I did a lot of tutoring and volunteered at my church since 2007, played water polo since high school (varsity) and for my college (club) - so total 7ish years..
Hopefully I would find a shadowing opportunity soon to have more experience around hospitals..
Again, thanks for your input!

For anyone filing taxes, how do we select undergrad courses if we've already completed four years of college?

For anyone filing taxes, how do we select undergrad courses if we've already completed four years of college?

You can enter them as "professional development" or whatever the option is.

Hey everyone - is the 1st orgo lecture posted and I'm just not seeing it? I keep checking under "Lectures" --> "Video Publishing" and seeing nothing, so I'm not sure if it's just not up yet, I'm looking in the wrong place, or they aren't being recorded after all. And do you know if they're also recording Monday Reviews like last semester?

Normally I would just go to class, but I moved back in with my parents out in the boonies last week and don't have a car, so I'm trying to avoid the 2hr+ each-way public transportation adventure. That and I signed up for a Kaplan class that meets Tues/Thurs and overlaps with orgo (it was the only one available!). I really hope I'm just an idiot and looking in the wrong section. Thanks for the help, sorry for the dumb question!

Did he elaborate on what sort of changes in the law happened? Or what changes occurred in financial aid?
He didn't really elaborate. His exact words were "Due to changes in federal law and financial aid, we will no longer be able to offer this option. While this means that all of our participants must now be considered non-matriculating (i.e., not seeking any degree or formal certification) it does not effect the courses, sponsorship, or other aspects of the program."

I guess now when you complete the program you just won't get the diploma? It's still on the website though.

Hi, I've been searching these forums for an answer but I need advice. I am currently a working engineer. I have a BS in chemical engineering and have actually taken all the requirements for medical school. I would like to strengthen my academic record in these classes. I feel as if the HCP will be beneficial but am worried I won't get acceptance based off of the courses I have already taken.

Thank you.

First post, hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong forum.

I was wondering what are my odds of getting accepted to HES HCP with a degree in molecular and microbiology (May 2012), cgpa of 2.9, in-progress vascular research abstract, and two years of EM scribe experience? If you have any advice, please share! I'm in it for the marathon not the sprint. Thank you!

Whoa only 24 hours notice! Aamc is opening registration for the MCAT for the remainder of 2013 tomorrow. Heads up.

Hi, I've been searching these forums for an answer but I need advice. I am currently a working engineer. I have a BS in chemical engineering and have actually taken all the requirements for medical school. I would like to strengthen my academic record in these classes. I feel as if the HCP will be beneficial but am worried I won't get acceptance based off of the courses I have already taken.

Thank you.

First post, hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong forum.

I was wondering what are my odds of getting accepted to HES HCP with a degree in molecular and microbiology (May 2012), cgpa of 2.9, in-progress vascular research abstract, and two years of EM scribe experience? If you have any advice, please share! I'm in it for the marathon not the sprint. Thank you!

Taken from the HCP website: "To be admitted to the Health Careers Program, you are required to:

Possess an accredited bachelor’s degree
Be in good academic and financial standing with Harvard University, with no disciplinary or administrative procedures pending"

Also taken from the HCP website: "Advanced elective courses are also available if you already have a science background but wish to enhance your credentials. "

Based on this information I think you both have a good shot at being accepted if you're interested in taking some upper level courses to improve your GPAs. Best way to find out more information is to email or call the school. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
mechs were the hardest part. easy other than that.

I agree, I was pretty relieved when I saw those synthesis problems. The mechanisms definitely kicked my butt for a while, I sat staring at the second one for a good ten minutes trying to figure out how to finish it until I realized right before the time was called that I was actually staring at the product that just needed to be rotated. Tricky.

Yeah, not too bad! I finally got time to actually learn the first semester stuff over break too, that might have helped...

Also, Logan is a great teacher, isn't he? I feel like a lot of the stuff I just tried to memorize last semester is really sinking in and making sense, finally.

Thanks for the feedback. I lived in the midwest for a couple of years so I know how brutal winters can get. I've never been to the east coast though. Do you guys have any problems getting the courses you need to get your pre-reqs done in a timely manner? How is the advising staff? It's great to know there are other Californians out there. I thought I was crazy for even thinking of moving to Boston just to do Harvard Extension.

Not crazy at all - from LA Boston's pretty much a straight shot on the 40 - 44 - 70 - 90. Be prepared to pay $35 in tolls on the 90 from Buffalo to Boston. Whole trip took about 2.5 days. Quit job Wednesday, left Thursday noon, arrived 4am Sunday morning, started Summer Gen Chem Monday with plenty of rest. I set up my living situation ahead of time with fellow sdn'ers through PM found a place on craigslist, which worked out well for me (despite not having met my roommates or seen the place before).

I've met plenty of Californians in the program. Boston's cold but not so bad if you have the right clothes. I still bike pretty much everyday and spend tons of time outdoors in the winter (get wool socks & windproof gear). With the exception of Summer gen chem, I've never seen any classes fill up. Even if they do, profs are pretty cool with letting you add. You can do the pre-reqs as quickly as you want, but most people take two years to allow time for research/volunteering. Advising is good, but you'll have to take the initiative to reach out to Fixsen or Petersen. Grading is very reasonable here and it's not too difficult to succeed if you work hard. HCP is great for a do it yourself post bac program for people who don't need that much structure. The low tuition is also a huge plus!

:clap:11 PS, 12 VR, 12 BS = 35 on MCAT:thumbup:

I'm so ****ing stoked right now.

Whoa awesome job! :thumbup:
What's your secret?

Thanks!

No secrets really. Orgo at HES gives an excellent foundation for orgo on the MCAT. Intro Bio with Anderson is a good start, but you might find yourself feeling like you don't know enough. I found biochem to be super high-yield. The physiology on the MCAT isn't complicated, and you can pretty much learn it yourself. Try to familiarize yourself with as many experiments as possible (Blots, gels, PCR, etc.). This will be super helpful for any molecular bio passages. Genetics is probably the toughest thing to do. Most genetics passages are fairly straightforward, and are basically pedigrees, Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, and genotype/phenotype tables, but sometimes you get a passage that might as well be written in a foreign language. If you did well in Gen Chem and Physics, then you should do well on the PS section of the MCAT.

Verbal is tricky. I was a literature major, so the verbal section came fairly easily. I didn't have a strategy other than to read carefully like I normally do, and try as much as possible to take the viewpoint of the author and ferret out their rationale for their argument. If you find yourself doing poorly, then I would figure what type of question you seem to have the most trouble with and make a mental note of it. Really analyze the questions you get wrong, and try to see why you got them wrong. This can be a pain sometimes because some verbal review materials don't have very good questions.

Hi All,

I will be starting the Harvard Extension Health Careers Program this June 2013.

I am quite excited but also have so many questions. I would certainly appreciate some guidance / suggestions. Here goes:

1) What in the world do I do about Housing? I will be moving at the end of May from Brooklyn, NY with - my dog, (and potentially my partner). Where do I search for affordable, yet close -but also flexible housing? I have seen answers to websites I can search for housing but is there a place perhaps where people post that they are looking for roommates... with a dog and maybe someone else? And where are the best areas to look without commuting for more than 30+mins to Harvard Sq? I really enjoying living with people- preferably within the same situation- but should I look for apartments alone?

2) Recently I was contacted by the program informing me that they will no longer grant a diploma which takes away the harvard I.D card (i.e no more library, gym etc privileges) This isn't a deal breaker but I am a wee disappointed about the gym and library being off limits to us. Are there other options you guys have explored or know off where one can get their solid cardio workout? How does this affect the overall program experience?

3) Finally, what is the best place to look for paid mini-internships (i.e 10-20 hrs tops per week paid...gotta get money to eat Ramen noodles at least).

Thank you very much and I look forward to your responses!

-G

Hi All,

I will be starting the Harvard Extension Health Careers Program this June 2013.

I am quite excited but also have so many questions. I would certainly appreciate some guidance / suggestions. Here goes:

1) What in the world do I do about Housing? I will be moving at the end of May from Brooklyn, NY with - my dog, (and potentially my partner). Where do I search for affordable, yet close -but also flexible housing? I have seen answers to websites I can search for housing but is there a place perhaps where people post that they are looking for roommates... with a dog and maybe someone else? And where are the best areas to look without commuting for more than 30+mins to Harvard Sq? I really enjoying living with people- preferably within the same situation- but should I look for apartments alone?

2) Recently I was contacted by the program informing me that they will no longer grant a diploma which takes away the harvard I.D card (i.e no more library, gym etc privileges) This isn't a deal breaker but I am a wee disappointed about the gym and library being off limits to us. Are there other options you guys have explored or know off where one can get their solid cardio workout? How does this affect the overall program experience?

3) Finally, what is the best place to look for paid mini-internships (i.e 10-20 hrs tops per week paid...gotta get money to eat Ramen noodles at least).

Thank you very much and I look forward to your responses!

-G

I can partially answer number 2 for you. You still get access to libraries without an ID, and the Extension School has its own computer lab. Academically, you'll have access to everything you need.

Well done!

Great job!

Thanks!