Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thats true, but if you go through your undergrad college and you were in HCP, the program has no idea if you end up in med school. All I'm saying is that the 80% refers only to a subset of HCP students who choose to apply for and are granted sponsorship, its not a generic acceptance number encompassing all HCP-ers.

It is not 80% but a little over 30% for those accepted into the HCP program. Man, why are you doing this? Do you want others to make the same mistake you did and ruin their chances of medical school after Harvard Extension?

Members don't see this ad.

This won't apply to any of us, but I'd imagine that the 2015 change to the MCAT will require that some students take even more courses, like Biochemistry, Sociology, and psychology. I wonder how this will change the HCP experience? This might eliminate the 1-year post-bacc, or at least radically change it. Interesting stuff. Has anyone heard anything about this from the administration?

HCP is already a 2 year program. They will likely make it a 3 year program.

Has anyone started on their personal statement yet for the next cycle? How are you guys gonna go about it and are you gonna read any books for tips/inspiration?
Does anyone remember what Dr. Fixsen said during his talk when someone asked him about advice for personal statements?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not 80% but a little over 30% for those accepted into the HCP program. Man, why are you doing this? Do you want others to make the same mistake you did and ruin their chances of medical school after Harvard Extension?

Complete poppycock. My STATE school already has 77% acceptance rate for my major, which was cell biology and neuroscience. I doubt Harvard Extension Health Careers Program is only 30%. For majors in Biological Sciences, that number drops down to 40%.

You are terribly wrong. Don't forget, most of the students who go into HCP are highly intelligent students who are motivated and are older more mature students who can handle the work. When I saw the grade distribution for my class on the exams, the curve was shifted to the right, meaning that many students did absolutely stellar on the exams. Don't kid yourself. If the classes were truly that difficult then the class distribution curve would be shifted to the left.

Honestly, it would only ruin your chances if you don't put in the effort. Keep in mind that most people in HCP have NEVER taken a science course in college. Obviously it would be harder for non-science majors. You're not thinking this through objectively.

Complete poppycock. My STATE school already has 77% acceptance rate for my major, which was cell biology and neuroscience. I doubt Harvard Extension Health Careers Program is only 30%. For majors in Biological Sciences, that number drops down to 40%.

You are terribly wrong. Don't forget, most of the students who go into HCP are highly intelligent students who are motivated and are older more mature students who can handle the work. When I saw the grade distribution for my class on the exams, the curve was shifted to the right, meaning that many students did absolutely stellar on the exams. Don't kid yourself. If the classes were truly that difficult then the class distribution curve would be shifted to the left.

Honestly, it would only ruin your chances if you don't put in the effort. Keep in mind that most people in HCP have NEVER taken a science course in college. Obviously it would be harder for non-science majors. You're not thinking this through objectively.

FWIW noncon is a troll that comes back approx. once a year. Save yourself the frustration and ignore and report them.

FWIW noncon is a troll that comes back approx. once a year. Save yourself the frustration and ignore and report them.

Already added to my ignore list. SDN really needs a report function. It's really easy to spot the troll within the first few posts. He puts on the same act every single time.

Has anyone started on their personal statement yet for the next cycle? How are you guys gonna go about it and are you gonna read any books for tips/inspiration?
Does anyone remember what Dr. Fixsen said during his talk when someone asked him about advice for personal statements?

Yes. I wrote my essay for my HCP application as if I were applying to med school, so that will be my template for the personal statement I put into AMCAS/AACOMAS. Basically, it answers the question of "Why medicine?". I didn't read any books/essays from others. I just wrote about the reasons and path that lead me to choose medicine, then sent it to a few friends who were English majors/teachers and asked that they tear it to shreds, then I rewrote it. I did three rewrites. There isn't much I would change in the essay, except maybe incorporate more about my teaching experience. It was good enough that it got an indirect compliment from Dr. Fixsen, which I think is the only positive thing I've ever heard the man say regarding my application. At least he's never said anything negative.

I would start writing the PS now. Most people aren't gifted writers, nor especially eloquent, so it usually takes at least couple rewrites before the turd is sufficiently polished. In terms of who to read your essay, go for quality rather than quantity. I lucked out with having a couple friends who teach people how to write for a living, and are good writers themselves. I would try to find a couple people who are good writers and have them look over/edit the essay for you. Since we've all gotten this far, the problem isn't likely to be finding a motivation to pursue medicine, but rather the difficulty is in articulating that motivation.

Aw, it's just like the good old days guys! Remember when we first got trolled? It feels like it was yesterday.:laugh:

Aw, it's just like the good old days guys! Remember when we first got trolled? It feels like it was yesterday.:laugh:

I remember the first time being incredibly bizarre. Now, it's like "Oh, it's this guy again." It's amazing he hasn't changed his line of attack.

I'm not the best of writers but thankfully my girlfriend was an english lit major so I'll take her out to dinner then ask really nicely to make my personal statement awesome. i think I saw in one of the blurbs talking about one of the medical school personal statement books that it had essays written by people with low GPAs and I probably should read some low GPA essays before I start mine. :D

Yes. I wrote my essay for my HCP application as if I were applying to med school, so that will be my template for the personal statement I put into AMCAS/AACOMAS. Basically, it answers the question of "Why medicine?". I didn't read any books/essays from others. I just wrote about the reasons and path that lead me to choose medicine, then sent it to a few friends who were English majors/teachers and asked that they tear it to shreds, then I rewrote it. I did three rewrites. There isn't much I would change in the essay, except maybe incorporate more about my teaching experience. It was good enough that it got an indirect compliment from Dr. Fixsen, which I think is the only positive thing I've ever heard the man say regarding my application. At least he's never said anything negative.

I would start writing the PS now. Most people aren't gifted writers, nor especially eloquent, so it usually takes at least couple rewrites before the turd is sufficiently polished. In terms of who to read your essay, go for quality rather than quantity. I lucked out with having a couple friends who teach people how to write for a living, and are good writers themselves. I would try to find a couple people who are good writers and have them look over/edit the essay for you. Since we've all gotten this far, the problem isn't likely to be finding a motivation to pursue medicine, but rather the difficulty is in articulating that motivation.

I leave you people alone for like a week and the INTERNET BLOWS UP. How did the troll come back? That's like 2 years of trolling. That takes dedication. I'm not even mad. I'm impressed.

Wow. It really has been two years of trolling. I found a thread back in 2011 where a user made the same set of arguments and was eventually banned. He reappeared in another thread under a different handle, making the same arguments, but was eventually banned again.

I had a great experience at HES. It's definitely tough. I'm a career changer and I recall getting my first physics exam back and thinking I made a huge mistake. But I studied harder, put in extra hours into the textbooks and attended review sessions. I finished the HCP program with a 4.0 sGPA. After I moved back home from Cambridge, I took biochem at another school. I found HCP had prepared me well.

What noncon (and his predecessors) says are not entirely just negative HES rants. Since anyone can take HES classes, a good number of people don't make it to the second year. My Gen Chem lab partner was a leech and I didn't see him the next year. I also had friends who worked hard, but had difficulty with the material and dropped the course. The nature of the material is difficult and some classes could definitely be taught better. I suspect this is similar in any pre-med program though. Overall, I think HCP provides a great opportunity for those who want to pursue a health profession, especially one that avoids going into debt before starting med/dent/vet school. And it's definitely possible to come out with good grades and get sponsorship.

Lastly, med school courses are quite a bit more difficult and fast-paced than HCP courses, so be prepared.

I'm not the best of writers but thankfully my girlfriend was an english lit major so I'll take her out to dinner then ask really nicely to make my personal statement awesome. i think I saw in one of the blurbs talking about one of the medical school personal statement books that it had essays written by people with low GPAs and I probably should read some low GPA essays before I start mine. :D

HES also offers (at least when I was there) a free writing review service. I used this service for my personal statement a few times until my essay was polished. Most of the reviewers were excellent and some were just OK, but you can change up who reviews your essay.

Hey guys, I am currently a second semester senior (neuroscience major) thinking about applying to the Health Careers Program at Harvard Extension. I just have a quick question: how selective is the admissions process (in terms of GPA, extracurriculars, etc.)? I am seeking just a sponsorship since I have taken all the pre reqs. Also, what is the financial aid like? I looked on the Harvard Extension webpage and the only thing they specified for a pure scholarship was a tuition waiver for one course for Health Careers students...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. It really has been two years of trolling. I found a thread back in 2011 where a user made the same set of arguments and was eventually banned. He reappeared in another thread under a different handle, making the same arguments, but was eventually banned again.

I had a great experience at HES. It's definitely tough. I'm a career changer and I recall getting my first physics exam back and thinking I made a huge mistake. But I studied harder, put in extra hours into the textbooks and attended review sessions. I finished the HCP program with a 4.0 sGPA. After I moved back home from Cambridge, I took biochem at another school. I found HCP had prepared me well.

What noncon (and his predecessors) says are not entirely just negative HES rants. Since anyone can take HES classes, a good number of people don't make it to the second year. My Gen Chem lab partner was a leech and I didn't see him the next year. I also had friends who worked hard, but had difficulty with the material and dropped the course. The nature of the material is difficult and some classes could definitely be taught better. I suspect this is similar in any pre-med program though. Overall, I think HCP provides a great opportunity for those who want to pursue a health profession, especially one that avoids going into debt before starting med/dent/vet school. And it's definitely possible to come out with good grades and get sponsorship.

Lastly, med school courses are quite a bit more difficult and fast-paced than HCP courses, so be prepared.

When you say fast, how much faster are we talking?

Hey guys, I am currently a second semester senior (neuroscience major) thinking about applying to the Health Careers Program at Harvard Extension. I just have a quick question: how selective is the admissions process (in terms of GPA, extracurriculars, etc.)? I am seeking just a sponsorship since I have taken all the pre reqs. Also, what is the financial aid like? I looked on the Harvard Extension webpage and the only thing they specified for a pure scholarship was a tuition waiver for one course for Health Careers students...

Thanks in advance.

Admissions process isn't selective at all...as long as your gpa is greater than 3.0 you are most likely accepted. As for sponsorship, you're going to have to take 20 credits if your gpa was above 3.2, which is quite a few classes and must be different than what you've taken in college. Some courses are only 3 credit courses so you will have to take at least 5-6 more upper-science related classes.

I'm not sure about financial aid, but each class is only about $1,200 so it's actually pretty cheap compared elsewhere.

May I ask, why are you deciding to go to HCP? You already have taken all the prereqs. Getting sponsorship is useless if your undergraduate college has a health professions office and you will be wasting another couple years (not to mention money) if you can apply right away. My suggestion is to not go through HCP or HES. Most of the students in the program are taking courses because they haven't taken the prereqs or they failed a prereq class in college and are taking it again. Sponsorship doesn't help much, as most schools do have a health professions office who can write a committee letter. Harvard HCP classes are no joke. They are pretty difficult and I would say depending on your gpa, may damage it if you don't do well.

Plus, a neuroscience major is pretty impressive already. Don't take more classes than you need. The acceptance rate for people with neuroscience degrees are much higher than biological sciences majors. If you're planning to take a year off, I would suggest something else such as work experience, travel, etc. Again, this all depends on what your situation is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When you say fast, how much faster are we talking?
I found this was the hardest thing to adapt to in med school. The content isnt super hard (tho I just cannot do embryology - i hate that stuff) but its the pace and the volume. Like you only get to have one or two passes at something and you have to move on. We did an entire undergrad immuno course in 2 weeks (25 hours or so of lecture) - at least my school their fav thing to do is "oh you can just read that on your own".

Adds to the content volume enormously (imagine a slide with 15-20 diseases and having to look up and define on top of reviewing that lecture). It really is drinking from a fire hydrant. Some units/classes/topics are more managable than others, but others - oh boy....

Admissions process isn't selective at all...as long as your gpa is greater than 3.0 you are most likely accepted. As for sponsorship, you're going to have to take 20 credits if your gpa was above 3.2, which is quite a few classes and must be different than what you've taken in college. Some courses are only 3 credit courses so you will have to take at least 5-6 more upper-science related classes.

I'm not sure about financial aid, but each class is only about $1,200 so it's actually pretty cheap compared elsewhere.

May I ask, why are you deciding to go to HCP? You already have taken all the prereqs. Getting sponsorship is useless if your undergraduate college has a health professions office and you will be wasting another couple years (not to mention money) if you can apply right away. My suggestion is to not go through HCP or HES. Most of the students in the program are taking courses because they haven't taken the prereqs or they failed a prereq class in college and are taking it again. Sponsorship doesn't help much, as most schools do have a health professions office who can write a committee letter. Harvard HCP classes are no joke. They are pretty difficult and I would say depending on your gpa, may damage it if you don't do well.

Plus, a neuroscience major is pretty impressive already. Don't take more classes than you need. The acceptance rate for people with neuroscience degrees are much higher than biological sciences majors. If you're planning to take a year off, I would suggest something else such as work experience, travel, etc. Again, this all depends on what your situation is.

I was thinking about HCP thru HES as a potential post bacc route after graduation, as I did not do very well during my freshmen and sophomore years. As a result my cGPA is only in the 3.1 range although I have performed well in my neuroscience courses. If I did go the HCP route, I was planning on taking 3 classes per semester (including the summer) while potentially working in my current professor's neurobiology lab. I am also taking the MCAT this April, shooting for a 32+ (which appears feasible, as I am progressing quite well in my preparation).

I have also considered Tufts/Georgetown SMP, but taking that route would not give me any time to pursue my passion in research (esp. in neuro). Given the above would you recommend HCP? If not, what other alternatives would you recommend?

Thanks again.

I was thinking about HCP thru HES as a potential post bacc route after graduation, as I did not do very well during my freshmen and sophomore years. As a result my cGPA is only in the 3.1 range although I have performed well in my neuroscience courses. If I did go the HCP route, I was planning on taking 3 classes per semester (including the summer) while potentially working in my current professor's neurobiology lab. I am also taking the MCAT this April, shooting for a 32+ (which appears feasible, as I am progressing quite well in my preparation).

I have also considered Tufts/Georgetown SMP, but taking that route would not give me any time to pursue my passion in research (esp. in neuro). Given the above would you recommend HCP? If not, what other alternatives would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Since your GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.2, you are required to complete 24 credits for sponsorship. That is six 4 credit classes, which is doable, but almost impossible if you have a full time job. These classes aren't like your average college courses. I have taken college level physics 2 at my college and it was nowhere near as difficult as the college level classes here at Harvard Extension. Only you can decide if you can handle it. Half of the class drops out by the first exam.

Also, each class is 3 hours long, which pretty much wears someone out in one class setting. In college, you get 2 sessions per week, but only one at Harvard Extension.

As for cost, since you need at least 6 or 7 classes, depending on how many credits a class is, you are going to be spending $7-8k plus another $600 for HCP application and sponsorship.

Also, you should plan your schedule really well...Physics 1, Chemistry 1, and Organic Chemistry 1 in the Harvard Extension school is only offered in the fall, and you can't take organic chem and chemistry together since the classes overlap. It depends on what classes you need to take. Since you said you want to take freshman/sophomore classes again, I'm assuming the basic level sciences such as bio, chem, and physics as well as organic chem?

4 credit classes are those with lab included. Other classes are only 3 credits.

Last edited:
To be honest, I plan on applying to HCP solely for the small financial support that they offer in the program...my school has a committee that writes a letter and I plan on applying to the committee the fall after I graduate (this coming october/november). Given my GPA, do you think SMP via Tufts/Georgetown/Cincy is a better route?

To be honest, I plan on applying to HCP solely for the small financial support that they offer in the program...my school has a committee that writes a letter and I plan on applying to the committee the fall after I graduate (this coming october/november). Given my GPA, do you think SMP via Tufts/Georgetown/Cincy is a better route?

SMP looks better than taking classes for undergraduate credit at Harvard Extension. Maybe somebody else can chime in about this?

Thanks again.

I think, although I'm not 100% sure, that you would not be accepted to (or appropriate for) HCP since you have taken all of the core classes (bio, chem, orgo, physics). I think the post bacc program is only for those who have done none or few of the med school requirements. You are more looking for a GPA boost and could just take classes at Harvard Extension without being in the actual HCP program. I would get in touch with Dr. Fixsen or Owen Peterson, they can give you much better advice.

Grades come out Wednesday. Super nervous.

Last edited:
A- in Orgo
A- in A&P

Really wanted the true A but oh well. The streak stays alive: nothing below an A- since starting my post-bacc work.

A- in Orgo
A- in A&P

Really wanted the true A but oh well. The streak stays alive: nothing below an A- since starting my post-bacc work.

Awesome man that's big time. Not checking my grades til this thursday.

How are the bio grades everyone? Lower, higher, expected?

A- in Bio. Huge relief.

Scored one standard deviation above the average on the first two midterms and had above a 96% average of all my labs so I was shooting for an A before the practical and final.

After the practical and final, however, I was preparing for a B. I scored one standard deviation below the average on the practical and must not have completely bombed the final like I thought I did.

Not sure how much perspective that gives you. I was basically on par for an A until the last week where I cracked under the pressure and wackiness of the class.

Oh sweet baby jesus, got an A in orgo... Good thing I didn't drop it.
And all that talk about HES ruining your transcript... Still can't believe I was able to pull off an A after nearly failing the fist exam.

Congrats MedWonk, johnnyscans and SpagoBMS!
smiley, I don't know how you can wait that long.

Thanks Sciengee. Congrats as well! An A in Orgo is impressive.

I think I would normally be annoyed with an A- after starting off the class so well but I'm more relieved than anything. I survived Casey! Finals week was pretty brutal.

And all that talk about HES ruining your transcript... Still can't believe I was able to pull off an A after nearly failing the fist exam.

Congrats dude, that's awesome. You should be stoked.

A- in Bio. Huge relief.

Scored one standard deviation above the average on the first two midterms and had above a 96% average of all my labs so I was shooting for an A before the practical and final.

After the practical and final, however, I was preparing for a B. I scored one standard deviation below the average on the practical and must not have completely bombed the final like I thought I did.

Not sure how much perspective that gives you. I was basically on par for an A until the last week where I cracked under the pressure and wackiness of the class.

Do you know what the standard deviation for the lab practical was?

That sucks you let your A go in the end but hey, A- is a good grade.

Great job Sciengee in ochem. Wow A!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
You guys are making me really scared to check my bio grade. Now i'm praaaaaying for a B+ :(

You guys are making me really scared to check my bio grade. Now i'm praaaaaying for a B+ :(

Lower than expected, for me at least. I was expecting an A-/B+ and ended up with a B. :mad: Pretty frickin disappointed as was about 170-180 on the two midterms, a good 20-25 points above average, and around 89% on labs before the practical. I must have pooped the bed on the final and practical, or perhaps they added my points wrong as they did on the first two midterms. Hopefully, you all had better luck!

On a lighter note, A in Gen Chem despite getting a 78 on my second midterm. I must have just snuck by.

Lower than expected, for me at least. I was expecting an A-/B+ and ended up with a B. :mad: Pretty frickin disappointed as was about 170-180 on the two midterms, a good 20-25 points above average, and around 89% on labs before the practical. I must have pooped the bed on the final and practical, or perhaps they added my points wrong as they did on the first two midterms. Hopefully, you all had better luck!

On a lighter note, A in Gen Chem despite getting a 78 on my second midterm. I must have just snuck by.

Do you know the grade cutoff between A/A- in Chem?

Where is the troll when you need him/her? All these transcripts destroyed by HES...

Good job folks

Do you know the grade cutoff between A/A- in Chem?

I had about 90.5% before the final and ended up with an A. However, with the final being worth up to 45%, not sure how helpful this is. One of the TFs told me it's historically 92/93.I'd guess this varies, though.

I had about 90.5% before the final and ended up with an A. However, with the final being worth up to 45%, not sure how helpful this is. One of the TFs told me it's historically 92/93.I'd guess this varies, though.

Okay, because I have heard that a 95 was the cutoff for the A...which I thought was very high.

Okay, because I have heard that a 95 was the cutoff for the A...which I thought was very high.

I mean it's possible if I got 99% on my final, but I really highly doubt that considering the last page gave me some trouble. Where did you hear that stat?

I see the aura of my awesomeness successfully transferred from the molecular model kit.

I mean it's possible if I got 99% on my final, but I really highly doubt that considering the last page gave me some trouble. Where did you hear that stat?

Not sure...I've heard from a friend who was close to TF...so maybe it isn't 95% but slightly lower.

I see the aura of my awesomeness successfully transferred from the molecular model kit.

That must be it. In any case, it was definitely a huge help!

My gen chem TF told me last year that they also took into account problem set grades for people who were right on the cut off. It's possible that it may vary slightly individually.

Comforting me since me transcript is destroyed.

Dude, you're never going to make it. You should just drop out, do your classes at a community college, and go Caribbean. I mean it's totally same.

My gen chem TF told me last year that they also took into account problem set grades for people who were right on the cut off. It's possible that it may vary slightly individually.

There's definitely a tiny black box with the Gen Chem grading. I had 96% on psets, so this makes sense. Also, only lost one point in labs. I guess the take away is rock the psets. If I remember right, Dr. Fixsen also told me they add points to exams if "something goes drastically wrong" as in the average is way lower than they expected.

At least in Gen Chem, they provided rough A,B,C cutoffs on the syllabus, and said there would be some discretion used for +/- unlike Bio where it was pretty tough to know what to expect. Somewhere in my mind, I thought a curve meant "more generous," but that was not the case.

Last edited:
Where is the troll when you need him/her? All these transcripts destroyed by HES...

Good job folks

Well to be fair, I think we've also hit the critical number of posts about A's to make anyone who got less than that unlikely to announce it... but for balance, I got a B- in orgo and have never been so thrilled about a grade in my life!

Just looked up my grades...
A Orgo
A physics
A- Bio

As much as I cringe at that A-, I'm still grateful as I had no idea what to expect in that class grading wise!

Anyone with an A in bio want to give some suggestions? I spent most my study time on Bio and it was still lower than the others!

Oh, and I know this is from the 2012 thread but in case there are any lurkers wondering, I wanted to join in on the conversation about working full time... it CAN be done if you are smart about it... I work 40 hours a week but 4 10's so I have one weekday to study as well as weekends and NO social life. My work is not very hard and I have some downtime... it's also very enjoyable. I was a math major in undergrad and phys and ochem were not that difficult for me, so I didn't need as much time to study. I think if you are honest with yourself, you can figure out how much you can handle. Hopefully this semester I can pull it off with all A's and no minuses! ;)

Just looked up my grades...
A Orgo
A physics
A- Bio

As much as I cringe at that A-, I'm still grateful as I had no idea what to expect in that class grading wise!

Anyone with an A in bio want to give some suggestions? I spent most my study time on Bio and it was still lower than the others!

Oh, and I know this is from the 2012 thread but in case there are any lurkers wondering, I wanted to join in on the conversation about working full time... it CAN be done if you are smart about it... I work 40 hours a week but 4 10's so I have one weekday to study as well as weekends and NO social life. My work is not very hard and I have some downtime... it's also very enjoyable. I was a math major in undergrad and phys and ochem were not that difficult for me, so I didn't need as much time to study. I think if you are honest with yourself, you can figure out how much you can handle. Hopefully this semester I can pull it off with all A's and no minuses! ;)

Congrats on those grades! Job well done.