Official Harvard Extension 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so i gotta ask out of sheer worry and frustration...what's the best way to nail the first physics exam? besides going over book problems. does he focus on each chapter, or are there certain concepts that he just kinda skips over or doesn't stress as much on the exam....bc end of chapter 3 right now is still killing me =/ any help or tips is mucho appreciated! :)

I'll type up some stuff for you tomorrow.

I'm a TF if that means anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll type up some stuff for you tomorrow.

I'm a TF if that means anything.

Woah can I get in on that as well. :)

I've spent so much time on physics I've neglected bio but after taking a look at the sample problems, I'm a little worried I've underestimated how much work bio was going to be.I was hoping it would be basic memorization (which a ton of it is) but there's also a lot of application problems using a lot of chemistry. Really have to buckle down these next few days before midterm.

Woah can I get in on that as well. :)

I've spent so much time on physics I've neglected bio but after taking a look at the sample problems, I'm a little worried I've underestimated how much work bio was going to be.I was hoping it would be basic memorization (which a ton of it is) but there's also a lot of application problems using a lot of chemistry. Really have to buckle down these next few days before midterm.

Right there with you. Went full force on the first Orgo exam and now I'm looking at Bio with terror. We are getting a study group together Saturday night if anyone is interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right there with you. Went full force on the first Orgo exam and now I'm looking at Bio with terror. We are getting a study group together Saturday night if anyone is interested.

I don't know how much time you guys have before your first exam, but what worked for me was to go through the lecture slides and create questions from them. I would have an answer bank for each question with the lecture and page number next to them so I could refer back to the slide if I had it wrong. Basically, you're making your own practice problems. Making them on flash cards is probably nice idea, since you can randomize the order of the questions. I would also pick out three random topics and think about how those three topics are connected.

Of course, everyone has a different way of studying for the class, but I figure I'd throw out my idea since I had a good amount of success with it.

My physics advice

-Do all of the old exams under realistic conditions. Mark any questions you get incorrect.
-Redo all of the old problem sets. Mark any questions you get incorrect.
-Anything you get incorrect goes on your crib sheet. USE YOUR CRIB SHEET. It is a gift.
-All major equations go on your crib sheet. The last thing you want is to forget a formula under the stress of exam day.
-Attend Doug's review. The problems he goes over are very similar to exam problems.
-ATTEND section. I go over test like and old test questions in my section.
-Do all of the assigned practice problems. Every. Single. One.
-Know how to do calculations from the labs. We had a small angle approximation question on our first exam last year. You will not be asked lab questions verbatim, but you are expected to know how to do calculations from the labs.

The key is doing as many problems as possible. The more problems you do, the better your grade will be, it's that simple.

I little different from chem and physics tests ey? Was taking my time and doing OK until they announced 10 mins left and I still didn't start the last problem. :eek:

Same here. I completely blanked on the last problem. The answer came to me the moment I walked out of there. Hate when that happens :(

Answer key to Ochem is up. I definitely thought you were supposed to choose the longest chain with the double bond, but I guess that isn't always the case? I completely missed that one.

Edit: in regards to the naming question.

Answer key to Ochem is up. I definitely thought you were supposed to choose the longest chain with the double bond, but I guess that isn't always the case? I completely missed that one.

I thought I heard Sirinya say in lecture to place the double bond at the lowest number which is what they did in the answer key. But Brandon said in review to choose the longest chain. I think I got diethyl octene in my answer, 2 substituents vs the answer key's 2 substituents.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I got that one right based on what Sirinya's notes inferred. Interesting to see what they have to say about that. Where there not 2 structures for the Newman projection? I had two that each contained one H-H gauche. I had a few little mistakes I am beating myself up about, but overall, I'm pleased. I hope everyone did alright - only 10% but the easiest test of the year.

How I feel about Bio after focusing solely on Orgo for a week

I got that one right based on what Sirinya's notes inferred. Interesting to see what they have to say about that. Where there not 2 structures for the Newman projection? I had two that each contained one H-H gauche. I had a few little mistakes I am beating myself up about, but overall, I'm pleased. I hope everyone did alright - only 10% but the easiest test of the year.

How I feel about Bio after focusing solely on Orgo for a week

I made a few small mistakes. Hoping the partial credit god is nice to me! I know I got the last two pages 100% correct. My name is wrong (but I got the conformation and such right), my resonance structure was a little off and I F*CKING FORGOT THE CARBON UNFILLED 2P LIKE A ****.

Oh well. 10% of the grade is nothing when homework + lab are worth 30% total.

Good luck in Bio kids.

Yeah solution to the nomenclature problem has been updated. I seriously dodged a bullet on this exam. I was flirting with very dangerous territory in my timing. I sat in a seat where I wasn't able to see the clock and was basically testing in the dark until they announced 10 mins left. Really challenging test. Empty carbon 2p orbital?!?!? Those bastids

Yeah solution to the nomenclature problem has been updated. I seriously dodged a bullet on this exam. I was flirting with very dangerous territory in my timing. I sat in a seat where I wasn't able to see the clock and was basically testing in the dark until they announced 10 mins left. Really challenging test. Empty carbon 2p orbital?!?!? Those bastids

I missed it. The f*cking lone pair threw me off. Hopefully I receive full credit for the second half of the reaction since it was all done correctly.

Who knows. . .

Grr

After a tough organic chemistry exam you would think they would go easy on us in bio huh? Good luck everyone.

biology-meme-generator-i-may-not-be-good-at-life-but-i-m-good-at-the-study-of-it-6757aa.jpg

Hey guys! I am about to graduate with a degree in biomedical sciences. I want to buff up my degree while knocking out a competitive MCAT score, as well as a chance to do some academic research, hence why I am looking toward the Health Careers Program.
My question are these...Seeing as I have a 3.5 cumm. and 3.5 Sciences GPA...
- Will I be disqualified from applying to the Health Careers Program?
- Can I not retake science classes I have done well in? Would I still be able to apply, however just do courses under the 'medical sciences' course list and eventually be sponsored?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time!

Hey guys! I am about to graduate with a degree in biomedical sciences. I want to buff up my degree while knocking out a competitive MCAT score, as well as a chance to do some academic research, hence why I am looking toward the Health Careers Program.
My question are these...Seeing as I have a 3.5 cumm. and 3.5 Sciences GPA...
- Will I be disqualified from applying to the Health Careers Program?
- Can I not retake science classes I have done well in? Would I still be able to apply, however just do courses under the 'medical sciences' course list and eventually be sponsored?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time!

You should email Dr. Fixsen (the program director). He can give you the best answer to this question.

Your GPA is fine, so I'm assuming you did well in your science courses, and since you'll have a degree in biomedical sciences, you don't really fit the profile of either a career-changer, nor someone who needs a GPA boost. HCP is geared more toward students who haven't completed all of their prerequisites, so if you were to apply to HCP, you would have to explain why you weren't simply applying to med school through your own university. For example, getting a good MCAT score doesn't require admission to HCP. You can do this on your own, or through Kaplan. The Extension School doesn't offer MCAT prep courses. On top of that, courses at the Extension School are open enrollment and do not require admission to any program, and you do not have to have to be enrolled in HCP to find an academic research opportunity (being a science major, they'll likely wonder why you haven't done so through your own university). You're going to have to convince them that it would be worthwhile sponsoring you in spite of not conforming to the target student profile, and you need to convince them that really want to become a physician/dentist/pharmacist/vet/nurse/etc. (long-term volunteering in a clinical setting is a good idea).

If you are refused admission to HCP, it won't be because you're a bad candidate, but rather because they feel that HCP has little or nothing to offer you.

Thank you so much MedWonk,
I e-mailed the assistant director of the program, who stated I would still be able to apply for the HCP itself (even though I'd be ineligible to apply for the Diploma of premed studies since I already took the sciences) And if accept I'd be eligible to seek sponsorship.
Since the college I graduate at is private and relatively small there aren't really many, if any, research opportunities (there was one this year but got taken :/) My aim was to complete compete competitive courses at HES to bolster my credentials (+ a competitive MCAT), and have the chance to pursue research.... which I don't know if I will be eligible to.
All of this in order to apply to a more competitive medical school.

Thank you so much MedWonk,
I e-mailed the assistant director of the program, who stated I would still be able to apply for the HCP itself (even though I'd be ineligible to apply for the Diploma of premed studies since I already took the sciences) And if accept I'd be eligible to seek sponsorship.
Since the college I graduate at is private and relatively small there aren't really many, if any, research opportunities (there was one this year but got taken :/) My aim was to complete compete competitive courses at HES to bolster my credentials (+ a competitive MCAT), and have the chance to pursue research.... which I don't know if I will be eligible to.
All of this in order to apply to a more competitive medical school.

Well, the courses part, you can definitely do here. The MCAT is something that you do on your own. If you're accepted into HCP, Dr. Fixsen periodically emails everyone with job/volunteer opportunities, quite a few of which involve clinical/public health research.

If you're more into basic science research, though, then that'll probably be something you have to seek out on your own. Or network like crazy. Your profs might know someone out here that can help you get your foot in the door. johnnyscans knows more about that than I do, though.

Also another question. As a HES student are you able to use the same campus facilities, join the same societies, use the libraries, and approach professors on staff the same way as a traditional harvard undergrad?

Also another question. As a HES student are you able to use the same campus facilities, join the same societies, use the libraries, and approach professors on staff the same way as a traditional harvard undergrad?

If you're not in the diploma program which it seems like you won't be then your resources are limited in comparison- you won't get an ID. As an extension student you have access to a few libraries and you can approach the professors as an extension student, not as a traditional undergrad.

The guy i spoke to stated that i could enroll in the health careers program, why is that so different from the diploma?

The guy i spoke to stated that i could enroll in the health careers program, why is that so different from the diploma?

You can enroll in the program and get sponsorship but only people that haven't taken any of the prereqs before can be diploma candidates and get a harvard id. More information can be found on the hcp website or in past harvard extension threads on sdn.

Alright is it just me....or was a good chunk of that Chem exam pretty brutal? Does anyone know when the answer key for tests usually get posted online? I'm already feeling antsy and completely unsure of myself :confused:

Alright is it just me....or was a good chunk of that Chem exam pretty brutal? Does anyone know when the answer key for tests usually get posted online? I'm already feeling antsy and completely unsure of myself :confused:

Yup I would have to agree, a lot of it was pretty brutal and frustrating (especially the mixture problem, #6... :() I asked one of the TAs after the exam about the answer key, and she told me it may be posted tomorrow evening, and if not, then it would be this weekend. I feel ya though, kind of anxious about everything now

Yup I would have to agree, a lot of it was pretty brutal and frustrating (especially the mixture problem, #6... :() I asked one of the TAs after the exam about the answer key, and she told me it may be posted tomorrow evening, and if not, then it would be this weekend. I feel ya though, kind of anxious about everything now

I keep rethinking over and over #3 and #6...putting our grams back to moles in 6 kept tripping me up and making me doubt both my equations. Shame this exam won't be curved, I think at this point we all could use one haha

I keep rethinking over and over #3 and #6...putting our grams back to moles in 6 kept tripping me up and making me doubt both my equations. Shame this exam won't be curved, I think at this point we all could use one haha

I thought it was pretty easy up until number #6, couldn't for the life of me figure it out. The answer key is already up by the way.

They're pretty good with posting answer keys. Sometimes on the night of the exam, you can usually expect them by the next day. Some chem exams are harder than others. Always expect curveballs, keeps things interesting :) hope you guys did well. Prof Tucci might give you guys the speech about someone failing the first exam, bouncing back and becoming a TF and eventually getting into HMS.

Oh and btw, learn how to do rice tables really really well. You'll use them throughout the whole year.

Made a silly mistake on one of the oxidation numbers, did it as though it added to 0 instead of -1. #6 was tricky.... it was easier than the some of the practice exam mixture problems I thought.

Guys who just took their first chem exam: Tucci writes notoriously difficult exams, and always. . . ALWAYS . . .has a curveball question.

Keep that in mind.

Guys who just took their first chem exam: Tucci writes notoriously difficult exams, and always. . . ALWAYS . . .has a curveball question.

Keep that in mind.

Good to know. Need to get ready for round two now.... I'm going to just put my faith in Doug that the physics midterm will consist of "moderately difficult" problems. Please nothing that involves turning secants into tangents!

Eeek. I thought Chem was my gimme class. Looking on the bright side, this Chem exam is only worth 10% of final grade if you do well on the final exam.

Keep that in mind.

After taking all three practice tests, I was expecting a curveball or two. Unfortunately, I don't know what I could have studied to handle the curveball (#6) on this exam save for getting partial credit. It sounds like some people got it right. Any advice?

Some chem exams are harder than others.

I noticed variation in difficulty even among the practice exams. I think this exam was a little more challenging than practice exams A and C because of #6, but easier than B. If I had to guess, we might see a slightly easier exam in the future, but I'd still expect the unexpected!

Good to know. Need to get ready for round two now.... I'm going to just put my faith in Doug that the physics midterm will consist of "moderately difficult" problems. Please nothing that involves turning secants into tangents!

I'm only a TF, so I don't write the exams, but I would be very surprised if any question required you to perform a "trig trick" to solve.

The good news: You likely won't be tested on nomenclature after this. Or maybe have a 10 point question on it (on a 200 point exam).

The bad news: Having a good feel for IUPAC nomenclature seems to be super helpful for the MCAT. They seem fond of giving you names of molecules and asking you something about their polarity/solubility/MP/BP/etc. This is assuming the practice passages I've done are actually similar to MCAT passages.

Has anyone ever taken BioChem before taking Orgo? Would Gen Chem be enough for it?

Has anyone ever taken BioChem before taking Orgo? Would Gen Chem be enough for it?

I took Biochem in college so take this with a grain of salt -- it helps to have taken Orgo before you take the course, but it's not necessary. A good understanding of molecular biology, however, is important. Also, be prepared to memorize!

Gen Chem is a must for the course at the Extension School. Orgo isn't necessary, but it makes life much easier. Aside from that, if you can vaguely remember what you learned the first month of bio, then you'll probably be fine. The first five lectures have been half review of various concepts from bio, gen chem, and orgo, and half new stuff. There hasn't been a "s*** just got real" moment in the class, yet. It's all been very straightforward. I have to say, though, that studying for the MCAT at the same time has been kind of helpful, too.

Thanks for the advice. I might just take Orgo this summer instead of BioChem.

Not looking forward to that.

Hope everyone did alright on the physics midterm!

Thanks for the advice. I might just take Orgo this summer instead of BioChem.

Not looking forward to that.

Hope everyone did alright on the physics midterm!

I'm not sure that that will necessarily be an easier choice. Why not take Biochem and Orgo concurrently during the year? A lot of the concepts from orgo presented in biochem you will learn within the first three or four weeks of the course.

I'm not sure that that will necessarily be an easier choice. Why not take Biochem and Orgo concurrently during the year? A lot of the concepts from orgo presented in biochem you will learn within the first three or four weeks of the course.

I took biochem this past summer having not yet taken Orgo. I did fine. The class is difficult, but if you have a firm grasp on gen chem and bio you should be a-ok. Professor Viel is a great teacher and makes the subject as enjoyable as it can be.