Official Harvard Extension 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The list for sections for BIOS E-1A went up today, just wondering which TF is the best or are they all pretty much the same

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
in today's bio lecture, did casey get correct the enantiomers slide? i really think those two molecules she presented today are the SAME and SUPERIMPOSIBLE of one another.

in today's bio lecture, did casey get correct the enantiomers slide? i really think those two molecules she presented today are the SAME and SUPERIMPOSIBLE of one another.

You are correct. Check the course website for the correction.

The list for sections for BIOS E-1A went up today, just wondering which TF is the best or are they all pretty much the same

A friend proctored with Nadeem this summer and recommended him to me. Decided to go with it!

Whats the difference between taking it for undergrad vs grad credit? I already have a BS degree and am considering in taking a non-core elective

Whats the difference between taking it for undergrad vs grad credit? I already have a BS degree and am considering in taking a non-core elective

Unless you're pursuing a graduate degree, there's no need to take it for graduate credit. So you would just pay undergrad tuition.

OK, so for the purpose of using this as a SMP for med school or other health professions, undergrad credit is fine?

Come to the Queen's Head tonight, I promise it will be fun! We have gimmees, an MCAT course silent auction, and mardi gras beads people. Mardi gras beads!

If you saw that extremely professional presentation in Biology yesterday, I may be doing it again in Organic Chemistry. For you Chem folk, we should have a rep there to tell you all about HEPS.

Come to the Queen's Head tonight, I promise it will be fun! We have gimmees, an MCAT course silent auction, and mardi gras beads people. Mardi gras beads!

If you saw that extremely professional presentation in Biology yesterday, I may be doing it again in Organic Chemistry. For you Chem folk, we should have a rep there to tell you all about HEPS.

I'll be there! I missed kickball, so I'm excited to meet everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of Orgo, how is it going for everyone? I think Sirinya is the sweetest person, but I am getting a little concerned about her answering every other question with "it's a long story" and to just memorize it... I mean, organic chemistry is so conceptual and the whole idea behind it is to be able to really understand the basic conceptual stuff to be able to predict all those numerous reactions by dissecting the mechanisms behind them instead of memorizing them. I might finally have to resort to Khan academy videos.. Anyone knows of any other good o-chem resources out there to supplement the lecture?

Speaking of Orgo, how is it going for everyone? I think Sirinya is the sweetest person, but I am getting a little concerned about her answering every other question with "it's a long story" and to just memorize it... I mean, organic chemistry is so conceptual and the whole idea behind it is to be able to really understand the basic conceptual stuff to be able to predict all those numerous reactions by dissecting the mechanisms behind them instead of memorizing them. I might finally have to resort to Khan academy videos.. Anyone knows of any other good o-chem resources out there to supplement the lecture?

Have you read and done the MO handout and all of the practice problems? Since completing those I feel much better about the course; the more problems I do the more "chemical intuition" I develop. Although the MO handout is long it does a nice job of reviewing what we've covered in the first two lectures. Give it a look if you haven't already.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemi...-1&keywords=organic+chemistry+second+language has a ton of nice drills in it (drawing resonance and such)

I've also heard good things about: http://www.freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm#ORGANICCHEMISTRY

Have you read and done the MO handout and all of the practice problems? Since completing those I feel much better about the course; the more problems I do the more "chemical intuition" I develop. Although the MO handout is long it does a nice job of reviewing what we've covered in the first two lectures. Give it a look if you haven't already.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemi...-1&keywords=organic+chemistry+second+language has a ton of nice drills in it (drawing resonance and such)

I've also heard good things about: http://www.freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm#ORGANICCHEMISTRY

I have read the MO handout and was actually curious what textbook it was taken out of since it was really well written. And I rely completely on the Orgo As a Second Language book. I wasn't talking about this past lecture material specifically, just in general.. It seems like we already covered much of the Second Language book and I am worried that I won't be able to follow the lecture throughout the semester if I'm told to just memorize whatever's presented.. Thanks for that last link though, I'll check it out.

Agh, your response negates my prior advice. There is a second edition of "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" for next semester; maybe pick that up as well?

Last edited:
Is there an HEPS email list? And to be involved do you have to be formally in HCP, or can those of us just taking the classes join as well?

I can see what you mean, and those kind of answers are frusterating, but I do think she is giving enough information in lecture to work on problems and figure it out (and like a previous poster mentioned, definitely do ALL the practice problems and at least read through every review problem-they are really helpful). I think some of the issue is that people were asking some questions that are covered more in depth later in the course, and then some answers to questions are in-depth and would slow down the lecture too much (particle in a box=lots of math). Sometimes I find it frusterating too, but I know I feel much more secure after doing all the practice problems. And, like you, I will probably use supplemental material as well if need be. If you find something you really like, you should let us know :)

I have read the MO handout and was actually curious what textbook it was taken out of since it was really well written. And I rely completely on the Orgo As a Second Language book. I wasn't talking about this past lecture material specifically, just in general.. It seems like we already covered much of the Second Language book and I am worried that I won't be able to follow the lecture throughout the semester if I'm told to just memorize whatever's presented.. Thanks for that last link though, I'll check it out.

The course will become more conceptual as you move through, but first semester does have a lot of memorization. There really is no way around it since you have to know the reagents used in the 60-plus rxns (if I counted right) you'll learn this semester.

The problem is that most of first-semester is spent learning the myriad ways in which reactions occur, and why they react the way they do (HOMO-LUMO won't always work, and often orbital orientation and overlap is more important, along with resonance/inductive effects). It's tough to have true intuition of how a rxn proceeds during first-semester since there's a lot of concepts you need to account for first that you may or may not have learned yet, but I think you'll find that towards the end of the semester and at the beginning of second semester, all the concepts will start to gel, and you'll be able to reason your way through a rxn mechanism much more easily.

Keep on truckin' and it will all eventually make sense. And when Sirinya says "It's a long story", it often means "We have no idea" or "You don't know enough chemistry/quantum mechanics at this point". Brandon will probably show you the math/physics that explains some of the rxns, but unless you've taken upper-level physics courses, it'll probably look like gibberish, which is totally fine because you won't need to know it. Brandon will say something like "It's for your edification".

I'm okay with ochem. Bio has some work to do. Textbook is outstanding though.

Is anyone here in the Biochemistry class who can allow me to access through the weekly lectures? I figure it might be helpful on the Mcats if im taking it next year.

Anyone in Biochemistry (Bios E10) that would like to form a study group? She seems to be going quite fast through the material, pretty much reading the slides verbatim.

Anyone who has taken Biochem with Haynes have any tips for the course, I've done all the readings/problems but I'm a bit uneasy on how to put everything together.

Hello guys,

I'm looking to apply to HCP for next summer.. I'm hoping to finish the pre-med studies in a year or so. Can I get some input as to what its like to complete it in a year + summer school and also just about the summer school? Also, do people generally work during the regular semester? or attend school full time? Any information would be helpful. I'm quite new to this.

Thank you,
Hanna

Hello guys,

I'm looking to apply to HCP for next summer.. I'm hoping to finish the pre-med studies in a year or so. Can I get some input as to what its like to complete it in a year + summer school and also just about the summer school? Also, do people generally work during the regular semester? or attend school full time? Any information would be helpful. I'm quite new to this.

Thank you,
Hanna

The one year track is doable, but tough. Summer courses are no joke. To set yourself up for success, it's imperative that you treat them like a full-time job.

I've done 3 classes at a time (this past spring: Chem II, Phys II, Cell Biology). I also volunteered and did approx. 30 hours of research a week. I was beyond busy, and both Physics and Cell Biology come very easily to me. I could see Orgo, Biology and Physics getting out of hand extremely quickly with a full-time job. In fact, I'd argue that it's near impossible given that you'd be forced to schedule labs during the day.

For instance:
Monday 730-930 Bio
Tuesday 6-9 Physics
Wednesday 730-930 Bio
Thursday 6-9 Orgo

Now, Orgo has Tuesday or Saturday labs and Tuesday or Weds. sections. Physics has mostly afternoon labs, save for a few evening ones that probably won't work with your schedule. Physics also has section which meets one hour per week. I was lucky since I pretty much make my own schedule at the lab. If you have a job that's set in stone 9-5 you may have issues schedule lab sections that work for you.

Do people do it? Sure. Would I recommend it. . . probably not.

I am a predental student.
I applied for the dental schools in this June, but I am still interested in Harvard post bac program.
Actually, I bombed my last year in undergraduate. so I want to recover my gpa through post bac program.
So if i want to get into Harvard post bac program, do I have to have a good gpa?,
My DAT scores was 23,

or since I am a predent student,I am confused whether to go to post bac,

I applied for the dental schools in this June, but I am still interested in Harvard post bac program.
Actually, I bombed my last year in undergraduate. so I want to recover my gpa through post bac program.
So if i want to get into Harvard post bac program, do I have to have a good gpa?,
My DAT scores was 23,

Technically, you could get in with a 2.8, but this depends on the other people also applying to HCP. HCP has become very popular in recent years, so even if your numbers do technically meet the cutoff, they may not let you in since the pool of applicants may already have a sufficient number of people with higher stats who would generally make better candidates. The lowest GPA I've heard of getting into HCP was my friend's which was a 3.1.

It really depends on what you mean by low, but I can tell you that they probably won't be able to overlook the fact that you bombed an entire year of undergrad unless you put in some major repair work. If you want advice on how to salvage your chances and some cold, unvarnished truth, I would talk to DrMidlife.

If you want to hear some more cold, unvarnished truth, you should contact the program director, Dr. Fixsen. He doesn't mince words, and will flat out tell you what your chances are. He is also a good source of advice, so be sure to ask him as well if there is anything you can do to improve your prospects for dental school and/or HCP.

Last edited:
My DAT scores was 23,

Depends on what you mean by "Harvard post bac program".

To clarify, the Health Careers Program is through the Harvard Extension School. Anyone can enroll and take classes at Harvard Extension School, (including the classes that are taken by people in HCP), it doesn't matter what your gpa is. However, most pre-meds/dents are part of HCP, to which you have to apply, and as mentioned in the last post, they expect a certain gpa level. For more info on the benefits of being in HCP go to the Harvard Extension School's website.

The school itself is open enrollment, though. So you can take classes and raise your gpa without officially being in HCP.

Edited to say that I second the suggestion to talk to Dr. Fixsen or someone at HCP.

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions:

First, does anyone know Sam (the TA)'s email address? I need to send him an email and can't find it.

Second, do we have a problem set due the week of exams in Orgo? I'm trying to decide how extreme of a stress-seizure I'm going to need to have next week.

Thanks!

Hope everyone is getting along well - it's been a pretty stressful first two weeks! QH tonight for a drink if you need to de-stress before the weekend.

Had to share a Harvard hack that I discovered this morning! I think this is only for ID holders though - sorry! On Brattle near the Extension School headquarters is the Graduate School of Education and the Gutman Library. The Gutman library is, in my opinion, the hands down best library on campus. I wandered in to go over the Orgo Pset "one last time" and immediately fell in love. First, it is gorgeous. Everything from the reading nooks to the computer area to the cafe is clean and well-decorated. REALLY well decorated. Like 5-star hotel quality decorated. Next, there is a cafe with chefs on hand actually preparing food! I had an omelette today and some pumpkin coffee! Holy cow! Cash only though, beware. Moving on to the common areas, there are plugs at every table and it is well lit near big bay windows. Best part? Mostly undergrad free! Since it is the graduate school there are nicely dressed and quiet individuals inside. Didn't make it up to the stacks, but I'm looking forward to spending the weekend studying in there.

Just thought you all should know - since I'm the resident library aficionado, it felt only right to spread the good word. :thumbup:

Hope everyone is getting along well - it's been a pretty stressful first two weeks! QH tonight for a drink if you need to de-stress before the weekend.

Had to share a Harvard hack that I discovered this morning! I think this is only for ID holders though - sorry! On Brattle near the Extension School headquarters is the Graduate School of Education and the Gutman Library. The Gutman library is, in my opinion, the hands down best library on campus. I wandered in to go over the Orgo Pset "one last time" and immediately fell in love. First, it is gorgeous. Everything from the reading nooks to the computer area to the cafe is clean and well-decorated. REALLY well decorated. Like 5-star hotel quality decorated. Next, there is a cafe with chefs on hand actually preparing food! I had an omelette today and some pumpkin coffee! Holy cow! Cash only though, beware. Moving on to the common areas, there are plugs at every table and it is well lit near big bay windows. Best part? Mostly undergrad free! Since it is the graduate school there are nicely dressed and quiet individuals inside. Didn't make it up to the stacks, but I'm looking forward to spending the weekend studying in there.

Just thought you all should know - since I'm the resident library aficionado, it felt only right to spread the good word. :thumbup:

I need an ID card, and I needed it yesterday.

I need an ID card, and I needed it yesterday.

It may be worth it to see if your flashing your schedule works - they don't have a formal card swipe at the entrance, just and ID station where a nice security officer checks to see if you are "a student". Seriously, bring you schedule and say you don't have your ID yet - I bet you an omelette it will work.

It may be worth it to see if your flashing your schedule works - they don't have a formal card swipe at the entrance, just and ID station where a nice security officer checks to see if you are "a student". Seriously, bring you schedule and say you don't have your ID yet - I bet you an omelette it will work.

Egg white or regular omelet?

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions:

First, does anyone know Sam (the TA)'s email address? I need to send him an email and can't find it.

Second, do we have a problem set due the week of exams in Orgo? I'm trying to decide how extreme of a stress-seizure I'm going to need to have next week.

Thanks!

PSets will never be due the week of the exam.

Anyone else not in love with the physics textbook?

When I switch to the bio textbook, I feel like I'm reading a novel in comparison.

At least Rueckner's lectures are much easier to follow.

Anyone else not in love with the physics textbook?

When I switch to the bio textbook, I feel like I'm reading a novel in comparison.

At least Rueckner's lectures are much easier to follow.

I thought the physics text was good. Out of the four textbooks that are used in the prereqs I like all of them except the ochem book. I can't stand 40-50 page chapters.

What don't you like about the physics book?

The physics text has a lot of information in it, but it is not exactly simple to understand at times. It also has some bizarre moments where it tries to be funny..... but fails. I also have the Giancoli (old textbook) and some things are explained better there.

So far, I feel as though 90-95% of the physics I've learned has been from the textbook as opposed to lecture (it feels like I learn a lot more information in my Chemistry lectures with Tucci) which is a little disappointing but I can deal with it. From what I've seen and the general sentiment I feel from the class, I bet a fair number of people are going to drop it, especially after our first exam. I've read the course evaluations for both courses and they seem pretty accurate so far.

Btw, Tucci and Justin are awesome! I look forward to each lecture.

The physics text has a lot of information in it, but it is not exactly simple to understand at times. It also has some bizarre moments where it tries to be funny..... but fails. I also have the Giancoli (old textbook) and some things are explained better there.

So far, I feel as though 90-95% of the physics I've learned has been from the textbook as opposed to lecture (it feels like I learn a lot more information in my Chemistry lectures with Tucci) which is a little disappointing but I can deal with it. From what I've seen and the general sentiment I feel from the class, I bet a fair number of people are going to drop it, especially after our first exam. I've read the course evaluations for both courses and they seem pretty accurate so far.

Btw, Tucci and Justin are awesome! I look forward to each lecture.

The key to the physics textbook (in my opinion) is doing the example problems that are scattered throughout the chapter. That + end of chapter problems + khan academy + going to review/section made all of the difference for me.

The physics textbook isn't awful. Definitely felt better after reading Ch. 4 than Ch. 3. HW problems seemed a lot easier as well.

The example problems in chapter 4 really did a better job of illustrating how to solve problems whereas in chapter 3, I felt like I understood the concepts but wasn't sure how to solve the hw problems without using other online resources like khan academy.

We'll see how Ch. 5 and 6 go.

I thought the physics text was good. Out of the four textbooks that are used in the prereqs I like all of them except the ochem book. I can't stand 40-50 page chapters.

What don't you like about the physics book?

Forget reading the OChem text. Sell it for as much as you can. Everything you need to know is in the lecture/review notes.

Forget reading the OChem text. Sell it for as much as you can. Everything you need to know is in the lecture/review notes.

Sad that this is the popular opinion, especially when given the cost of the book.

Sad that this is the popular opinion, especially when given the cost of the book.

I wouldn't use the word "popular"; I would say "informed". The book is convoluted, the author strings along in tangents, and even Sirinya has mentioned that his syntax is why the book is recommended and not required. I've saved time and effort by doing practice problems and reading "Orgo As a Second Language" instead of trying to understand that mess.

so i gotta ask out of sheer worry and frustration...what's the best way to nail the first physics exam? besides going over book problems. does he focus on each chapter, or are there certain concepts that he just kinda skips over or doesn't stress as much on the exam....bc end of chapter 3 right now is still killing me =/ any help or tips is mucho appreciated! :)