Official Harvard Extension 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received 0/18 on page 9, 5/18 on page 10. Even if i had gotten half credit on these pages i would be in a much better place.

What kills me is I cannot imagine doing any more to prepare. I do all the practice problems,i read other sources for practice and questions, i attend all lectures, reviews and sections and i do every single practice problem. I have put so much time into this course and i feel like it's still not enough.

I've never been a bad test taker and this class is just working me. I'm wondering though: am i overreacting and is everyone having trouble, or am i truly in trouble.

Me too! I was saying this exact thing to my friend last night. I go to all lectures and reviews, I've done all the practice problems and some of them twice, I get all checks and check pluses on homeworks and spend hours and hours on them, and I'm a couple chapters away from completing "Organic Chemistry As A Second Language." I've watched all the orgo Khan Academy lectures and some other ones.

I work full-time as a researcher and am volunteer-managing a global health project at Harvard, and then after work I go to the library for hours every night to do orgo studying. I literally do nothing else and feel like my soul is being obliterated. MCAT studying simply hasn't happened because I'm so overwhelmed with this class. It feels like all of my hard work and good gpa that I've had to this point are going to be for nothing because I'm going to get a horrific grade in orgo and then be unprepared for the MCAT. Help! I wish they would at least give us averages for these exams to reduce some panic.

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree. Providing a class average would help tremendously.

Me too! I was saying this exact thing to my friend last night. I go to all lectures and reviews, I've done all the practice problems and some of them twice, I get all checks and check pluses on homeworks and spend hours and hours on them, and I'm a couple chapters away from completing "Organic Chemistry As A Second Language." I've watched all the orgo Khan Academy lectures and some other ones.

I work full-time as a researcher and am volunteer-managing a global health project at Harvard, and then after work I go to the library for hours every night to do orgo studying. I literally do nothing else and feel like my soul is being obliterated. MCAT studying simply hasn't happened because I'm so overwhelmed with this class. It feels like all of my hard work and good gpa that I've had to this point are going to be for nothing because I'm going to get a horrific grade in orgo and then be unprepared for the MCAT. Help! I wish they would at least give us averages for these exams to reduce some panic.

I hear ya. I volunteer at MGH, do 25-35 hrs of research a week at an amazing lab that I love, and I TF physics. Outside of that literally all of my time is spent in Orgo, A&P or exercising.

I just wish I knew what else I could do to staunch the bleeding here. If I hear anything positive from my TF I'll let you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received 0/18 on page 9, 5/18 on page 10. Even if i had gotten half credit on these pages i would be in a much better place.

What kills me is I cannot imagine doing any more to prepare. I do all the practice problems,i read other sources for practice and questions, i attend all lectures, reviews and sections and i do every single practice problem. I have put so much time into this course and i feel like it's still not enough.

I've never been a bad test taker and this class is just working me. I'm wondering though: am i overreacting and is everyone having trouble, or am i truly in trouble.

I understand how you feel. I pretty much felt like you do now when I took Physics during the summer.

If you got less than 70% of the points on the exam, then I would be a little worried. I wouldn't panic, though. There's always time to improve. If you get at least 70% of the points, then I would keep going. Obviously, no one is satisfied with only getting 70% of the points on the exam. Everyone would like to get at least 85%, but getting at least 70% should still get you a decent grade. There aren't many people in the course who get through without struggling a bit.

As a heads-up, the third exam will probably be more difficult than the mid-term (it was last year). There will probably be one question on radical rxns, and they are always messy and a big pain. There will also probably be a mechanism question having to do with keto-enol tautomerization, which also seemed to give a lot of people trouble.

You will probably find the final exam to be a bit easier than both the mid-term and third exam.

You will probably find the final exam to be a bit easier than both the mid-term and third exam.

Good to know. I'm also curious about the class average on this exam. As bad as this sounds, when I take the class next year, I might need to come up with a "legitimate" excuse to miss the third exam or mid-term assuming she'll weight the final to account for a greater percent. Kinda joking, but the 0/18 for one mistake **** scares me, especially because it's pretty easy to make a single mistake in any of these courses.

Good to know. I'm also curious about the class average on this exam. As bad as this sounds, when I take the class next year, I might need to come up with a "legitimate" excuse to miss the third exam or mid-term assuming she'll weight the final to account for a greater percent. Kinda joking, but the 0/18 for one mistake **** scares me, especially because it's pretty easy to make a single mistake in any of these courses.

I sat down with my TF and walked through both of my exams. What it looks like is that I have a firm grasp on the fundamentals (thank you Orgo as a second language) but my knowledge breaks down on the real make or break problems. He made some good suggestions based on how I currently study/prepare so hopefully I can turn things around for the second half of the semester.

He also told me that I shouldn't be in full on panic mode yet based on my exam scores (both of which are below the standard that I set for myself). He said that lab and psets will pull up my grade, and that we still have 40% of our grade in exams to go.

His biggest piece of advice: do everything possible to get 100s on the labs and check plusses on the psets.

Finally, a controversial post to this thread.

wow Orgo sounds absolutely brutal. i'm hearing about the 0/18 points question everywhere.

best of luck to you guys.

I mean. I'm in shock that a page (and roughly 15 minutes) of work and model building got me 0/18 points.

Nothing I can do now though.

I got 1/20 points on the last page of the first exam. Wasn't really shocked to see it though because I knew I messed up on that one. But I was in shock with myself that I let something like that happen on an exam that I had studied so hard for.

Don't panic, it is possible to redeem yourself after this. I have, and you will :)

Now just have to brace ourselves for the next one..

I got 1/20 points on the last page of the first exam. Wasn't really shocked to see it though because I knew I messed up on that one. But I was in shock with myself that I let something like that happen on an exam that I had studied so hard for.

Don't panic, it is possible to redeem yourself after this. I have, and you will :)

Now just have to brace ourselves for the next one..

I'm a little surprised to see you and jscans completely missing questions because I know (based on previous posts) that you both do well in these classes.

I'm a little surprised to see you and jscans completely missing questions because I know (based on previous posts) that you both do well in these classes.

That's what makes it so much harder to accept and deal with.
Figuring out how to improve when you know you've already given it your best and it's always worked in the past has been stressing the hell out of me these past few weeks since the first exam.

I've never had a class unravel me like this. It's actually frightening for me to think about it.

That's what makes it so much harder to accept and deal with.
Figuring out how to improve when you know you've already given it your best and it's always worked in the past has been stressing the hell out of me these past few weeks since the first exam.

That's what I talked to my TF about. In the weeks leading up to the exam I did every practice problem, redid every pset, did every review question from Monday reviews and did all of the practice exams again. I made my life orgo and orgo only.

The only explanation is that I'm missing the big picture in some cases. I just need to realize that working smarter doesn't always mean working harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
How'd everyone feel about the gen chem test? I thought it was a lot harder than the first one.
Though it doesn't sound as hard as what you guys are dealing with in orgo. That's definitely scaring me that you did everything you could but it's almost as if it didn't matter!

How'd everyone feel about the gen chem test? I thought it was a lot harder than the first one.
Though it doesn't sound as hard as what you guys are dealing with in orgo. That's definitely scaring me that you did everything you could but it's almost as if it didn't matter!

I agree that it was harder, especially pg. 5. Also worried that pg. 6 seemed too easy. We'll see. Last time, I was pleasantly surprised. I tend to think that won't be the case this time.

I'll never look at a microwave oven the same way again.

1bk0.jpg

I am screwed for the bio test.
Definitely worried here as well. Bio was supposed to be the easy class. I didn't even bother grading my practice exam. I feel like we definitely need more than 2 hours to factor in all the problem solving questions.

The average will definitely be lower than the first midterm and hopefully she'll just balance them out.

Last edited:
I graded my practice exam, then regraded it, and took off ten points to be fair to others who did not have their practice exams regraded.

On a serious note, yeah, I bet the average will be lower. A lot more logic and careful analysis needed to do well on this exam, and same amount of material to memorize.

Last edited:
Anyone want a physics textbook and/or a gen chem textbook? The gen chem textbook is an older version but it doesn't matter what version you have for the course as Tucci states in his syllabus.

Willing to negotiate prices. Let me know!

I graded my practice exam, then regraded it, and took off ten points to be fair to others who did not have their practice exams regraded.

:laugh:

Agreed on the Bio midterm. I got a really small number for the probability of Q and pretty much guessed on the last question on the 2/3 linked loci. Should've went over the PSET5 more.

Yeah I got .05 for Q, guessing it's wrong, though. Barely finished. At least Bio is curved.

So true. I spent a LOT of time trying to get down problem solving for Psets 4 and 5 (for which, btw, our only source of help was error-riddled answer keys that relied on too many assumptions), so I was especially happy to see that tonight's exam contained a bunch of T/F questions on material from the last exam (telomeres, nucleoids, etc.) that I did not remember or bother to review...

I found two typos on the exam, anyone notice them? Nothing in this course gets proof read.

So true. I spent a LOT of time trying to get down problem solving for Psets 4 and 5 (for which, btw, our only source of help was error-riddled answer keys that relied on too many assumptions), so I was especially happy to see that tonight's exam contained a bunch of T/F questions on material from the last exam (telomeres, nucleoids, etc.) that I did not remember or bother to review...

My thoughts exactly on the assumptions.

For one of the PSET4 problems, we were supposed to assume both were true breeding but in different ways aaBB x AAbb yet we couldn't assume aabb was albino.

All in all still like the class and professor, just ready to be over genetics.

One was on the acetylation page and i can't remember where the other one was.
I noticed them. I think there was one in the very first question. I agree that the test was crazy long. Most of the questions - even some of the multiple choice - required a lot of conceptual thinking that takes a decent amount of time. Hopefully the curve will save us!

I also barely finished and completely guessed on an 11-point question that I'm 100% sure I could have solved given enough time. Was it really necessary to make so many of the short-answer questions that complex? I think not.

Last edited:
I noticed them. I think there was one in the very first question. I agree that the test was crazy long. Most of the questions - even some of the multiple choice - required a lot of conceptual thinking that takes a decent amount of time. Hopefully the curve will save us!

I also barely finished and completely guessed on an 11-point question that I'm 100% sure I could have solved given enough time. Was it really necessary to make so many of the short-answer questions that complex? I think not.

Agreed. After going over time when taking the practice exam, I decided it would be best to absolutely speed through the actual exam to the point of rushing, and that was the only way I was able to finish in time. I hope I get credit for my answers, even though I'm pretty sure most of my writing is illegible :/

Hello fellow sufferers - has anyone who applied for sponsorship gotten the "personal inventory" sent to them yet? It's supposed to go out this month, according to the email I got back in May.

Hello fellow sufferers - has anyone who applied for sponsorship gotten the "personal inventory" sent to them yet? It's supposed to go out this month, according to the email I got back in May.

I haven't received it yet. I figure I'll wait until the end of the month before I ask Dr. Fixsen about it.

Hi everyone,
I'm a second year student in the postbacc program, currently living in Brookline, but hoping to move to Cambridge next semester for the sake of an easier commute. I will only be taking Orgo, and studying for the MCATs. I'd ideally like to live with other post-bacc students.

If anyone living near Harvard Square or somewhat close campus is interested, I'd be willing to move as soon as this semester ends.

Thanks,
David
650-847-7296
[email protected]

Does anyone know anything about this? He's still listed as the professor for next semester.

My guess: he'll be your professor. My advice: start studying at least a week prior to the exam. He truly does test everything, and the exams are very difficult. The curve is also pretty tough.

I haven't received it yet. I figure I'll wait until the end of the month before I ask Dr. Fixsen about it.

Nothing received on my end. I'll let you guys/gals know if I hear anything.

In other news. . . how about that Orgo pset! What a party.

Hi was wondering what is the tuition for the extention school health careers program?

Hi was wondering what is the tuition for the extention school health careers program?

I believe it varies based on the class, but I think it's around $1200 per class. But check the website for better/more specific info.

Good luck to those in physics taking the exam. Time put away the book and notes and start bangin out problem after problem. This unit is especially important.

Ochem- do we have an exam review the monday after thanksgiving?

Bio- think we're getting our exams back on monday?

Have a great weekend harvard postbaccers :thumbup:

Good luck to those in physics taking the exam. Time put away the book and notes and start bangin out problem after problem. This unit is especially important.

Ochem- do we have an exam review the monday after thanksgiving?

Bio- think we're getting our exams back on monday?

Have a great weekend harvard postbaccers :thumbup:

In regards to Physics, here is the email I sent out to my lab and discussion sections:

First thing I recommend you do is sit down with the problem sets that will be tested on this exam (psets 5 - 9). Put a nice clean piece of paper next to you. Work through every problem on the problem sets. When you hit a stumbling block (whether it be a forgotten formula or a botched concept) make note of it on your soon to be crib sheet. Do not simply chalk up a mistake as an "oh I'll get it next time". Analyze where you went wrong. Let is stew for a bit. This method of studying will really help to ensure that you don't forget "easy" concepts come exam day.

By the time you're done with the psets you should have a nice crib sheet in the making. Now is the time to start working on the old examinations. Although I recommend doing all of them if time is an issue I'd recommend starting with the most current exams and then working your way backwards. TAKE THESE EXAMS UNDER REALISTIC CONDITIONS. That means no music, no notes (except your crib sheet) and timed. Do everything in your power to simulate exam day. This will help to prevent the test day jitters and will also give you an indication as to how your time management is looking.

Once you've finished the practice exams, start hammering out textbook problems that cover your problem areas. By this point you should have a good idea as to where you need extra practice.

My general test taking tips:

-As you read through the multiple choice questions write down formulas that apply to the question. For example: let's say the question mentions a ball being shot from a spring to a certain height. I would instantly write down 1/2kx^2 = mgh. Getting formulas onto paper is often to trick to solving these multiple choice questions. Each of them is testing a specific formula/rule/law. Once you realize what you're being asked to invoke they often become a rather trivial plug and chug.

-Plug in numbers (when applicable) and take questions to the extreme. If you're told that M1 is greater than M2 and R1 is greater than R2 plug in 1000000 for M1 and 2 for M2 and 50000 for R1 and 4 for R2. This will hopefully help to elucidate a convincing answer. Please though, for the love of physics, do not plug in 1. There's just too great of a chance for things to get ugly.

-If the answer/strategy for a MC question doesn't come to you within 20-30 seconds, MOVE ON. You'd be surprised how often there are hints for earlier questions hidden later on in the test.

-Show work for EVERY problem. This means both MC and short answer. If you show work, the graders can help you by assigning partial credit. If you just circle an answer you're setting yourself up for disappointment. This is where writing down formulas as you read the question comes into play.

-You will very rarely be given a red herring number. If you're given a value in a question there's a good chance you're going to have to use it in some way. Now, don't take this to heart and assume that every number will be used for every question; use it as guidance. The roof problem in section yesterday was a great example of this: we were given the area for a very specific reason. If you saw area and remembered that pressure was a force x area you would be well on your way to solving the problem.

-Please, please, please know the two types of collisions and what laws/rules hold true in each
Inelastic: conservation of momentum holds true
Elastic: conservation of energy holds true
Ballistic Pendulum: conservation of momentum holds true for the instant before and after the collision. Conservation of energy holds true for the swing. You can work this problem two ways: either from the swing height to solve for bullet speed, or from bullet speed to solve for swing height. Remember, you're going to need to use both laws to solve the question. If you are still hazy on this review your lab and your notes from section. Prof R. loves asking this question - make sure you understand it.

That's all I've got for now. As always, feel free to email me questions. From now until test day I'm going to plan on replying to your questions to both my lab and discussion sections (obviously taking care to remove any personally identifiable information) as many people often stumble on the same concepts.

Don't they give a check if you give a sincere effort to solve each problem?

We'll see. It depends if spending a bunch of time working through a problem that leads to a completely wrong answer (as I'm assuming some of mine must) will still be considered "sincere effort." This is the only problem set where I haven't felt confident that I got most of them roughly right, so that's a little disconcerting.

Dr. R posted in the Bio discussion forum that exams will be returned in lab the week after Thanksgiving.

Let's hope that gives them enough time to triple check the answer sheet before they start grading :)