Official DMU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi People!!!

I just found out a couple days ago that I will be joining DMU and be a part of class of 2011. I am new to the SDN but could someone please give me the websites for the apartments around there so I can take a look at them because my New student account has not been set up yet. Thank you very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi People!!!

I just found out a couple days ago that I will be joining DMU and be a part of class of 2011. I am new to the SDN but could someone please give me the websites for the apartments around there so I can take a look at them because my New student account has not been set up yet. Thank you very much in advance.

Welcome to the DMU c/o '11!!!!!!!!! and to SDN. Aren't you so excited? Here is a link from the DMU website concerning housing. http://www.dmu.edu/com/StudentServices/Services/LocateHousing/
You're going to have to do some research to find the best place. I think the closest apt complex is 3000 Grand and many students rent from there. Good luck finding a place.

As for everyone, anyone thinking about going to the Iowa State Fair? I think I want to check it out the weekend after orientation. Maybe they'll have fried twinkies and huge turkey legs!!!!!!:)

As for everyone, anyone thinking about going to the Iowa State Fair? I think I want to check it out the weekend after orientation. Maybe they'll have fried twinkies and huge turkey legs!!!!!!:)

My wife and I are going August 10th to see Alice Cooper and Blue Oyster Cult. I can't wait to get my face melted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi People!!!

I just found out a couple days ago that I will be joining DMU and be a part of class of 2011.

Congrats and welcome to our class!!:thumbup:

It must have been stressful waiting this long to know if you were attending this year or not.:confused:

I know of lots of students who are living in 3000 grand so you should check it out.

Also check out the DMU College of Osteopathic Medicine-Class of 2011 facebook group. A bunch of our class mates are in this group.

Congrats and welcome to our class!!:thumbup:

It must have been stressful waiting this long to know if you were attending this year or not.:confused:

I know of lots of students who are living in 3000 grand so you should check it out.

Also check out the DMU College of Osteopathic Medicine-Class of 2011 facebook group. A bunch of our class mates are in this group.

Yea it is a big relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I quit my job a few weeks ago and man am I bored out of my mind. Don't get me wrong, i'm enjoying the fact that i'm not working but there isn't much to do when you're trying to save moola for the BIG MOVE. I just want to pick up and move to DSM already so I can start the next chapter in my life. BTW....i'm soooooooo hungry

Does anyone know where did the link to our first year exam schedule on the portal go? I could not find it anymore. If by any chance you have a copy of it, please share it with me. Thank you so much :)

Does anyone know where did the link to our first year exam schedule on the portal go? I could not find it anymore. If by any chance you have a copy of it, please share it with me. Thank you so much :)

The excel file of our first year exams is not that accurate. I spoke to someone at admissions and the calender schedule on the DMU portal is more accurate. It's not easy to find exam dates but it's spot on in terms of dates. Hope this helps.

Anyone have any clue what our class schedule is going to be like, or is this something we'll find out at orientation?

Anyone have any clue what our class schedule is going to be like, or is this something we'll find out at orientation?

I believe the class schedule, book list, etc. will be revealed to us at orientation next month.

As for the exam schedule, I can't find the link no my homepage either. BUT if you type in exam schedule into the search bar it'll come up as the first option. Hope this helps ya :)

thank you m-said! i found it!:)

Hey everyone. My wife and I will be leaving for Des Moines tomorrow evening :eek: Hopefully we'll be in town on Tuesday night, maybe Wednesday morning. Who else is going to be in town this coming weekend?

Boner-

Wish I could be in town to hang out a bit more with you guys before school starts, but I'm staying up here to be with the gf until the 2nd. Of course, I'm sure you'll be able to give me the inside scoop on dive bars and stuff to do by the time I'm there. Two weeks, no job, no school...what else are you gonna do? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I just got back from Utah and wanted to offer my services if ANYONE needs it for any help with moving. It's 95 outside with 50+% humidity and moving in by yourself would be miserable. Let me know.
-bone

I GOT IN!!

I just found out today! I am so pumped...I really can't believe it. Classes start in about a month...WOW:D

wow mike that must be crazy to be accepted with so little time left....but SWEET! congrats!

Thanks!

DMU was by far my top choice out of any school. I really never saw myself going anywhere else....

CAN'T WAIT!

Thanks!

DMU was by far my top choice out of any school. I really never saw myself going anywhere else....

CAN'T WAIT!

wow Mike congrats...:thumbup

Hey everyone,
I just got back from Utah and wanted to offer my services if ANYONE needs it for any help with moving. It's 95 outside with 50+% humidity and moving in by yourself would be miserable. Let me know.
-bone

Where were you a week ago man! We could have used the help unloading a 28 foot trailer :)

Thanks!

CAN'T WAIT!

congratulation! i know you've been waiting for this moment!see you in Aug!

anyone moved to Des Moines yet? I'm leaving in 3 days but won't get there till Aug 2nd :D

I am moving in on the 2nd as well...3000 Grand. I hope it is nice because I never got a chance to look at the apartments.

Can anyone tell me how soon I should get the info so I can log into my portal? I have paid my deposit and everything is set otherwise..

I am moving in on the 2nd as well...3000 Grand. I hope it is nice because I never got a chance to look at the apartments.

Can anyone tell me how soon I should get the info so I can log into my portal? I have paid my deposit and everything is set otherwise..

hello neighbor :) the apartment is very nice; that's what I heard as well.

regarding the portal, I think you should call them to ask.

i signed my lease last saturday so i could get into my apartment to paint. it's so colorful i just love it. i'll be moving in on the 21st. i can't believe the day is almost here. i just wish i could get out of the actual unloading, i'll be up all friday night with the new harry potter. oh well, i should probably get used to getting just a few hours of sleep :)

Thanks!

CAN'T WAIT!

Congrats Mike.... Welcome to DMU. I know how it feels to all of a sudden get the greatest news a pre-med student can hear. As for Grand...I liked it a lot even though I won't be living there.

I'll be in DSM on the 26 or so. Driving for 4 days and visiting 4 states. It's going to be great!!!! Hey lovable, how are you getting to DSM?

Congrats Mike.... Welcome to DMU. I know how it feels to all of a sudden get the greatest news a pre-med student can hear. As for Grand...I liked it a lot even though I won't be living there.

I'll be in DSM on the 26 or so. Driving for 4 days and visiting 4 states. It's going to be great!!!! Hey lovable, how are you getting to DSM?

I will drive my car over there with my family and they'll fly back. We will start from southern California, to Zyon, to Grand Canyon, to Bryce Canyon, drive along the most beautiful scenic drive before getting to Canyonland and the Arches. Then we will go over to Denver, Colora and Nebraska (which is boring) and finally Des Moines, Iowa. Wheeww...2 weeks of vacation before I start a new chapter of my life :D

I was reading one of the books that we got at our interviews and it said we will need a stethoscope, otoscope, and and opthalmoscope...has anyone bought one yet or want to suggest a good place to get one??

lovable: when are you in denver? i just flew in last night from birmingham and will be here til monday..

Congrats Mike.... Welcome to DMU.

Welcome Mike! Congrats on getting accepted!

Ditto for me. I'll be driving 2 1/2 days through 6-7 states (depending on what route we take), visiting Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons along the way. (My last chance to see mountains for a while... :() I'm so excited to be moving into our house. I've been living in an apartment for so long I've forgotten how that feels!

August 6th is coming up FAST!

I will drive my car over there with my family and they'll fly back. We will start from southern California, to Zyon, to Grand Canyon, to Bryce Canyon, drive along the most beautiful scenic drive before getting to Canyonland and the Arches. Then we will go over to Denver, Colora and Nebraska (which is boring) and finally Des Moines, Iowa. Wheeww...2 weeks of vacation before I start a new chapter of my life :D

Ahhh, my backyard. Love it. Enjoy your time off while it lasts!

(btw, actually called ZION :laugh:)

Hey everybody! I'm currently at the Caribou Coffee in DSM! My wife and I arrived after a 3 day journey and just finished painting our place today. We have soooo much stuff we never opened from our wedding - it was like X-mas. Anyway, if anyone else is in town we'll be around. We're ready for some social interaction with other people after being in a truck for three days and unpacking/painting for two days.

I was reading one of the books that we got at our interviews and it said we will need a stethoscope, otoscope, and and opthalmoscope...has anyone bought one yet or want to suggest a good place to get one??

Congrats on the acceptance, Mike. I bought my stethoscope from Steeles.com, which has the best prices on Littmans and Welch Allyns. Got my oto/optho set from ebay.

Hola 2011's-

Just wanted to let you know that there is a student group at DMU (ACOFP maybe?) that brings welch-allyn and Littman rep's on campus in the fall to offer mega-deals for 1st years for the Physical Diagnosis class. Dr Wattleworth & co. have specific things that they want you to buy for PD, so it might be a good idea to wait until you find out what you need before you buy anything. That way you'll know exactly what you need, and can decide whether you'd find a better deal elsewhere or not.

Enjoy the rest of your summer everyone! Sleep now, while you have the time :smuggrin:

P.S. - The bookstore ladies are a great resource at DMU, so if you have any questions about PD equipment you can ask them too!

If any of you DMU '11 class need a condo to buy, I know of one that is selling for a reasonable deal because the seller wants to avoid realtor fees. 3 bedroom/2 bath, new, near Jordan Creek mall. The seller is a 4th year moving out of West Des Moines soon.

quote]

Hey Congrats!! You must have been jumping out of you skin waiting. Welcome to c/o 2011

I will be living on the 5th floor of 3000 Grand and haven't seen the building either but I hear it is nice and gets free wireless b/c it is so close to campus.
There are some other 2011's students organizing a pool party at our new place before school so you know.

Also there is a great facebook group to meet your class mates, DMU College of Osteopathic Medicine-class of 2011.

It is getting very close....:D

lovable: when are you in denver? i just flew in last night from birmingham and will be here til monday..

I won't leave til this Sunday so I'll probably end up in Denver on July 31st. Enjoy your time there and please let me know if there is something that I should visit. thanks~:)

jbone : your backyard is so beautifulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll :) i love it :D

Yea, equipment stuff, they give decent discounts from welch allen (sp?) and most students just get a package from them. I do know some people that did some searching on Ebay and saved a couple hundred for what we need.

In the end, it can be nice to have a blood pressure cuff, but most things you won't really use or it will be provided in the hospitals or other places you rotate through. The one thing that you shouldn't mind spending money on though would be your stethoscope, I would suggest investing in a good one as you will pretty much always have it. Until then though, you do have a list of supplies you need, it is convenient if you purchase through the school or whatever club it is because they have a lot of the small things you need that they throw in for free in a little baggy.

Another suggestion.....check it out as it is a year older now but...a few people did this last year. Buy the expensive panoptic scope and get a cheap one or just wait until after the first couple years and you can sell it on ebay and make a few dollars because of the discount students get. Not sure if it's legal to do though so you might want to check into that also?

I GOT IN!!

I just found out today! I am so pumped...I really can't believe it. Classes start in about a month...WOW:D

Hope it's not too late, Mike, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

thanks m-said!

it truly was one of the greatest feelings ever!

Who is in DSM now?

Who is in DSM now?

Be there Thursday and will probably be settled in by Friday.
I'm also trying to set up something over there on Facebook and we're thinking of going to this place called Hessen Haus on Aug 6th. I know some of you guys have accounts for both but just wanted to invite everyone here as well. So check out Hessen Haus online and keep Monday the 6th open.

DSM here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is in DSM now?

Hey Boner. How are you & the Mrs. liking DSM so far? I'm glad you guys are settled & moved in :thumbup: & I hope you're both enjoying married life :)

I've been in DSM for the last month & a half & we're finally starting to get to know it a bit better & get used to it. I must say, it's a bit more boring than we expected, but I'm sure once school starts we wont have that much spare time to think about the boredom. Where are you guys living? I think you had said Beaverdale a few months ago, but I'm too lazy to go into the older posts & check. My husband & I are living in Urbandale right off of Aurora close to Merle Hay Rd., so I think we're pretty close to where you guys are. Let me know if you guys want to get together for coffee or anything sometime before school starts. There are so many Starbucks around here that I think they have Chicago beat. I never got a chance to meet you guys (my intrv. was nov. 2), so just let me know if you guys are up for anything.
Alright, take care & enjoy the last few days before school:)

My wife and I have been in DSM since July. We live in the NE part of town.

What do you guys think of the two new programs starting this fall at DMU? A Masters in Anatomy and a Masters in Biomedical Sciences. The masters in Biomedical sciences sounds very appealing but just wanted to know your opinions on it? Good idea, bad idea...

http://www.dmu.edu/communications/events/newprograms.cfm

What do you guys think of the two new programs starting this fall at DMU? A Masters in Anatomy and a Masters in Biomedical Sciences. The masters in Biomedical sciences sounds very appealing but just wanted to know your opinions on it? Good idea, bad idea...

http://www.dmu.edu/communications/events/newprograms.cfm

I don't see how they could be usefully to med stuedents unless they wanted to do research or teach anatomy someday. IMO, I think getting a MPH would better serve our careers.

btw we are approaching 1000 post, so somebody needs to make a new thread soon.

I don't see how they could be usefully to med stuedents unless they wanted to do research or teach anatomy someday. IMO, I think getting a MPH would better serve our careers.

btw we are approaching 1000 post, so somebody needs to make a new thread soon.

I see what you are saying, but on the website it specifically states that they expect a majority of the initial students to come from the Podiatry and Osteopathic classes so I am guessing some students will take the opportunity. I think having research experience is great, and it will really help some of those students who are looking to go into academia or have a research-oriented career, so overall this can only be a positive at DMU. I like the fact that they are taking positive steps to improve the research opportunities on campus.:thumbup:

As for the 1000 posts....I didnt even realize it has been that much..lol.

Let me know if you guys want to get together for coffee or anything sometime before school starts. There are so many Starbucks around here that I think they have Chicago beat. I never got a chance to meet you guys (my intrv. was nov. 2), so just let me know if you guys are up for anything.

Coffee sounds great. Zanzibar's Coffee Adventure on Ingersoll and 28th has the best coffee in town. They roast their beans in house, so everything is fresh. Caribou by school (Ingersoll and 35th-ish) is pretty good too; they're open much later and have free internet, which I've been using daily since our service doesn't start until Wednesday. Caribou also seems to be a DMU student hotspot - there's some PA students in the meeting room here with laptops doing some group study thing.
As for housing, our place is in Beaverdale at 35th just north of Hickman. I'm not sure where Aurora is, but I know Merle Hay; we're not too familiar with the area yet having lived here for only 5 days. We've pretty much only ventured to the shopping area on University in the Clive/West Des Moines area and the Ingersoll area around school for coffee and groceries. We've finally finished painting our place and settled in, so we're ready to do some normal daily activities. We went to the DMU gym for the first time today and plan on going everyday, so if anyone's interested in hitting the gym with us let me know.

Hi, my name is Jill and my husband is starting DMU this fall also. There is not much posting going on in the spouses forum, and especially not for DMU specifically, so I thought I would post here. We are looking for new friends in this area since we just moved here from Montana. We have 2 kids..girls who are 9 and 6 and live in an apartment in West Des Moines. Send me a message if anyone is interested in getting together! I will probably meet a lot of you soon at the BBQ that is after orientation for new DMU students, but it would be nice to connect with some of you before that! Thanks :)

i know this was brought up a little while back in this thread, but can anyone now officially comment on what type of computers and pdas we will be getting and when??

i know this was brought up a little while back in this thread, but can anyone now officially comment on what type of computers and pdas we will be getting and when??

I don't know if this is specific enough, but probably Gateway computers and Dell PDA's. That is what we got, class of 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.