Official: Countdown until July 13th score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheldor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day when I took my MCAT there was a thread like this that helped the time pass faster. We know that we are all neurotic, but sometimes sharing those neurosis can make things just a little better!

T-minus 36 days...

I took this mess today, and I really wished that when they handed me that sheet of paper after the test it had my score on it. Lucky GRE takers...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations everyone! I took my test on June 26th -- when can I expect to get my score? What's the general pattern been in previous years for score releases?

Members don't see this ad :)
yo DocEspana...can you repost that link? something got funky when it got pasted. and WBC, that's awesome!

WOW! Look at that. SDN has a word filter that automatically deletes its competitor if you write about them. That is friggen amazing.

Well this is a competitor website to SDN that happens to have this. I'm gonna risk annoying the mods (sorry) but it needs to be linked. Simply connect all of these little bits together.

http://www.clinical
review.com/solutions
/resources/usmle-score-
calculator.html

Last edited:
252/ and let's face it, no one cares about the 2 digit score!

Don't get sucked into the "buy all the books" hype. Do all your UWorld questions, read thru your first aid and mark it up, 2-3 times. Most importantly, address your weaknesses, study efficiently. Don't waste time on what you already know.

Edit: Oh, and one last thing. Even if you do well, you are going to feel somewhere between uneasy and terrible as you wait for your score. Nobody feels good after a 7 hour test.

Good luck, future step one-ers!

Last edited:
225/97 :D

This seems like nothing compared to so many on here, but I am quite thrilled coming from an initial score of 155 on my initial diagnostic at school :D and im not under the impression that SDN posters are a good representation of the AVERAGE med student ;) we all know everyone on here are superstars, and I envy all of you!

Congrats to everyone today! Big weight lifted off all of our shoulders!

Ended up pulling 223/95. Wasn't too happy at the time but after reminiscing on how terrible I felt on test day I am relieved I didn't bomb it. I didn't have any specialty in mind yet, guess this makes it much easier:(, but in all I guess I shouldn't complain.

Anyhow...Congrats to all! Some really good scores on here.:smuggrin:

Definitely some amazing scores out there. 224/96 here and I am thrilled. Walking out on test day I was sure I got in the low 200s. Congrats to you all!

Ended up pulling 223/95. Wasn't too happy at the time but after reminiscing on how terrible I felt on test day I am relieved I didn't bomb it. I didn't have any specialty in mind yet, guess this makes it much easier:(, but in all I guess I shouldn't complain.

Anyhow...Congrats to all! Some really good scores on here.:smuggrin:

Hey, a 223/95 is really not a bad score at all. Seriously. Congratulations dude!
Why do they even have the 2 digit score??

Hey, a 223/95 is really not a bad score at all. Seriously. Congratulations dude!
Why do they even have the 2 digit score??

Thanks man. I guess it's supposedly means where you stood for that particular test set on that specific day. At least that's what I heard. I don't know if I believe that though.

ended up w/ 20pts below NBME practice tests... guess the difficult test really got to me
228/98, mcat: 37

so much for rads/ortho .. pretty disappointed right now... congrats everyone

Don't eliminate those. Plenty of people match those with Step 1 scores in your range. Do well 3rd year and you can match into a very good program.

Sorry about the drop, I know it's frustrating. It happened to some close friends last year. Keep your head up and definitely don't eliminate a specialty because of your score. :thumbup:

252! I'm stoked. I would like to say it IS possible to do well without DIT. Don't give into peer pressure, know what works for you.

i found a calculator online for getting percentiles. if the results are in fact a normal distribution (no way to ever find this out, so these are approximate at best), using the mean of 222 and std of 24 the percentiles are the following:

8th = 188 (lowest passing score)
10th = 191
15th = 197 (approx -1 SD)
20th = 202
25th = 206
30th = 209
35th = 213
40th = 216
45th = 219
50th = 222 (mean)
55th = 225
60th = 228
65th = 231
70th = 234
75th = 238
80th = 242
85th = 247 (approx +1 SD)
90th = 253
95th = 261

good job people.. best of luck on rotations

Members don't see this ad :)
i found a calculator online for getting percentiles. if the results are in fact a normal distribution (no way to ever find this out, so these are approximate at best), using the mean of 222 and std of 24 the percentiles are the following:

10th = 191
20th = 202
25th = 206
30th = 209
35th = 213
40th = 216
45th = 219
50th = 222 (mean)
55th = 225
60th = 228
65th = 231
70th = 234
75th = 238
80th = 242
90th = 253
95th = 261

The NBME admits its a positively skewed semi-bell curve, so that break down wouldnt be accurate since it relies on SD measurements in an ideal bell curve. (I saw the same website thus how i know it completely works on a curve with two limits based on charting a bell curve). So if 242 is 50th percentile 197 might be 15th percentile (it's actually be closer to 20th, i think, but whatever) but 85th falls long before 247. 247 is about 91st to 93rd percentile if i remember the properly calibrated curve correctly.

I'm pretty down about my score, got a 210, about 20 below my target score. I wanted to do IM or peds at a larger university program in the NE (considering h/o). Will this keep me out of middle tier programs (Jefferson?)

Last edited:
Wow, haven't been on here in a long time. But happy with my score: 245/99. Now back to surviving IM clerkship.

CBSE administered by school 2 weeks before exam: 205
NBME 7 taken 1 week before exam: 205

Real exam: 238/99 :eek:

I felt good about the exam while I was taking it. The second 205 really kicked me into gear, and I crammed hard that last week and spent time integrating things I hadn't really integrated yet. Tons of my exam questions covered stuff I'd just gone over. But I'm still completely in shock that I pulled off a 33 pt increase in a week. There must've been some luck playing in there. And adrenaline. In any case, it is possible!

Congratulations everyone! I took my test on June 26th -- when can I expect to get my score? What's the general pattern been in previous years for score releases?

I second this question, I thought all June test takers would get their score today: 7/13, I am also still anxiously waiting for mine.

Took NBME 6, 7, 11, 12. Scores ranged from 224 - 240.

Real Thang: 243/99!

I read FA 3x, UW x2 with reset and all problems wrong x1, Goljan Audio x2 during second year, and 25% complete on Rx for some new problems toward the end.

FA and Goljan Audio are golden, but nothing is a substitute for doing well during years 1 and 2.

I thank everyone on this site for keeping me motivated. You all are some smart motherf'ers and the competetive piece in me just wanted to keep up with you. Thanks again and good luck in year 3.

:)

258/99

Also did not do DIT. Did Tau's method, will post more detailed in step 1 experiences thread sometime. Also the USMLEWorld SA's were much closer to predicted for me. Never got above 244 on NBME's, but got 258 and 260 on the USMLEWSA 1 and 2

What's the big deal about DIT? I don't remember this much discussion about it last year. Have people been hyping it up over the last yr?

No clue. Honestly, I listened to a lot of it to mix up with Goljan but there really wasn't that much earth shattering stuff mentioned.

Took NBME 6, 7, 11, 12. Scores ranged from 224 - 240.

Real Thang: 243/99!

I read FA 3x, UW x2 with reset and all problems wrong x1, Goljan Audio x2 during second year, and 25% complete on Rx for some new problems toward the end.

FA and Goljan Audio are golden, but nothing is a substitute for doing well during years 1 and 2.

I thank everyone on this site for keeping me motivated. You all are some smart motherf'ers and the competetive piece in me just wanted to keep up with you. Thanks again and good luck in year 3.

:)

Score twin. 243/99. I plan on being happy about it. All in all, it's probably a little better/pretty close to what I was predicting.

Right on par with UWSA#2 which was 244 (took a week before exam).

What's the big deal about DIT? I don't remember this much discussion about it last year. Have people been hyping it up over the last yr?

A lot of people seem to swear by it but I thought it was kinda BS, it's mostly a dude reading through First Aid and highlighting what he thinks are important facts. It does make it easier for some people to follow with FA though.

Gunner Training is a much better resource IMO; in retrospect I wish I had done that as well.

Hey all,

Haven't posted here since my pre-med days.

Free 150 (3 weeks out)--229
UWorld1 (2 weeks out)--207
NBME 12 (1 week out)--217
Actual Step 1--241

I was surprised by my score because my practice exams were kind of all over the place. I spent the first three weeks watching Kaplan videos (given to me by a friend who had downloaded them from somewhere) and doing 1-2 blocks of Uworld per day. Then I read FA one time through and really tried to learn the biochem, embryo, and anatomy. After my first pass of FA, I did 4-5 blocks of Uworld every day. I also made an Excel sheet with all the pharm drugs from FA, (this was really helpful, IMO because it was a relatively compact list that I could carry around and look at whenever I got the chance). I read FA once again the weekend before my test. Then I watched the latest Final Destination movie the night before my test, which I think was the real reason why I was able to do well. :laugh:

A lot of people seem to swear by it but I thought it was kinda BS, it's mostly a dude reading through First Aid and highlighting what he thinks are important facts. It does make it easier for some people to follow with FA though.

Gunner Training is a much better resource IMO; in retrospect I wish I had done that as well.

You got a very good score. If you are a good student and self-motivated I don't think you need any of those paid services. There's a pretty clear formula of what's needed to do well on Step 1.

1. I can't believe people are complaining about scoring close to or a little above the national average.
2. Congrats, people who killed the boards. You are glorious beast-monsters and I respect you.
3. CONGRATS PEOPLE WHO SCORED 220+. WE ARE A MODEST BUT STRONG TRIBE. WE ARE SLIGHTLY LESS HARDCORE BROTHERS.

225/97 . Thrilled.

I'm a totally average US student, studied for 5.5 weeks with solely UWorld and FA. Here are my NBMEs:

NBME 6: 170ish - school administered with 6 weeks left of 2nd year
NBME 5: 189 w/ 4 weeks left
NBME 12: 214 w/ 2 weeks left
NBME 7: 214 w/ 1 week left
Free 150: Medfriends 232 predicted
UW: ~63% correct with 100% completed

So considering I never broke 220 on an NBME, I'm so happy and met my goal. Hope this gives some of the average students an energy boost!

-BP

I'm shocked that this thread hasn't turned into a p***ing match yet.

You haven't noticed the ungodly amounts of 250+ scores? ;) Thanks to sdn, I'm actually kind of bummed with my score, especially since my final NBME was in the high 250s.

You got a very good score. If you are a good student and self-motivated I don't think you need any of those paid services. There's a pretty clear formula of what's needed to do well on Step 1.

Haha I agree.

Here's my take on a few things beig discussed:

1. No one should be bummed with a 220+. You may not have hit your goal but you still did very well. The scores being posted are not reliable because of the anonymity. I'm not saying people are lying but it wouldn't be the first time. Even if they are revealing their teu scores they are absolutely NOT representative of most students. Of course people with 240+ are going to be the ones to reveal their scores on here.

2. I did DIT and my overall impression is that if you'd have a difficult time readig every detail of FA on your own, it's the way to go. It is absolutely nothing more than a direct read through of FA. Absolutely possible to do just as well, if not better doing it on your own bc you'd probably have more time to study other things.

3. Congrats to everyone who is finished. To those that didn't do as well as you wanted, keep your head up. It's not the end of the world. You'll be fine!

10th = 191
20th = 202
25th = 206
30th = 209
35th = 213
40th = 216
45th = 219
50th = 222 (mean)
55th = 225
60th = 228
65th = 231
70th = 234
75th = 238
80th = 242
90th = 253
95th = 261

can't use this data because it's not a normal distribution. for what it's worth, i've heard fairly reliably that a 256 is set to be the 95th percentile. you can backtrack from that.

I'm pretty down about my score, got a 210, about 20 below my target score. I wanted to do IM or peds at a larger university program in the NE (considering h/o). Will this keep me out of middle tier programs (Jefferson?)

Hey, I also scored a 210 and am looking to go into Peds. I wasn't expecting anything great (MCAT 24, avg 83% for years 1 & 2, but I'm a former Pedi-ICU RN as well, so that helps)....actually glad I got above a 200....but I know that getting into the residency that I want takes more than Step 1 scores. Like my chief surgical resident told me the other day, it's more about your recs and your personal/patient/physician-interaction skills. Focus on absorbing as much knowledge/skills/training as you can from this year, rock Step 2, and fulfill your career goals. That's what I plan on doing, and that meeting-challenges-head-on approach has worked for me in my life, so far ;-) Good luck to us both!

:luck:

NBME 2 with two months left of 2nd year (school made us take it): 214
NBME 11 with 10 days to go: 250
Actual Step 1 Score: 258/99

For any one who hasn't yet experienced on the 'joy' that is 2nd year and step 1 studying.....

I studied for 5 weeks and just used was First Aid and USMLEworld. I learned a section or two in first aid, then did (and reviewed until I understood) all of the corresponding Uworld questions. When I took NBME 11 ten days out from step 1 I had just finished going through first aid and uworld one time. So over the next 8 days I reviewed all of the uworld questions that I got wrong or marked (which combined was about 600). Then over the last two days I just flew through first aid again to skim over everything and did some biostats uworld questions to remember those little boxes and formulas and whatever. Also for 3 days leading up to the exam, I did 1 block from the free 150 on each day and really tried to pay attention to how the questions were written. Uworld is awesome but the NBME questions are different, and I feel like I had to switch modes to adjust to NBME. I feel like the last 2 days of first aid fly through and (mostly, except for biostats) stopping uworld and getting into NBME mode (and sleeping and relaxing more) earned me those last 8 points over my predicted 250 from NBME 11.

As I went through first aid or uworld, if I didn't understand a term or concept I just googled it and wiki'd my way into enlightenment.

I tried to rewrite/take notes on stuff as little as possible. It takes up a lot of time. I didn't copy uworld notes down into first aid, instead I spent that time learning it. If I thought the question had material that I needed to come back to later, I marked it and came back to it again later, and again if I needed to.

Even just going through First aid and Uworld basically once took the whole 5 weeks with not a whole lot going on other than studying. Those two resources are more than enough. I didn't do any real dedicated boards studying during school, but during second year I listened to Goljan material and read First Aid that matched up with whatever we were doing in class, which definitely helped to understand class material.

Studying more wouldn't have netted me any more questions. And I was totally spent by the end. I don't know how you 2-3 monthers do it. You must have brains of steel. :D

Congrats to all! 188 = Doctor, and we all (should) know that none of us are going to remember all this random stuff in a few years (or for me it was gone in minutes :D ) and what will is make us great doctors is if we care about our patients and love what we end up doing! Best of luck!

Here's my take on a few things beig discussed:

1. No one should be bummed with a 220+. You may not have hit your goal but you still did very well. The scores being posted are not reliable because of the anonymity. I'm not saying people are lying but it wouldn't be the first time. Even if they are revealing their teu scores they are absolutely NOT representative of most students. Of course people with 240+ are going to be the ones to reveal their scores on here.

2. I did DIT and my overall impression is that if you'd have a difficult time readig every detail of FA on your own, it's the way to go. It is absolutely nothing more than a direct read through of FA. Absolutely possible to do just as well, if not better doing it on your own bc you'd probably have more time to study other things.

3. Congrats to everyone who is finished. To those that didn't do as well as you wanted, keep your head up. It's not the end of the world. You'll be fine!
I don't know about everyone else, but if I get my results back in a couple of wks and I break 250, you can guarandamntee that I'll post a copy of my score report up along with a write-up. I don't understand why more of these beast slayers aren't doing so. Besides validating what they are saying, it would simultaneously serve as inspiration to future takers.

I don't know about everyone else, but if I get my results back in a couple of wks and I break 250, you can guarandamntee that I'll post a copy of my score report up along with a write-up. I don't understand why more of these beast slayers aren't doing so. Besides validating what they are saying, it would simultaneously serve as inspiration to future takers.

It probably wouldn't, you know. Plus, you don't want everyone shooting for a 250+ because that would just push the curve into ridiculous-land. Someone's GOT to be average.

took the exam yesterday i was wondering where do i go to get my score in 4 weeks?

i am an IMG, so I have an account with ECFMG, do i access it through there?
just curious thank you

if you got a 250 why would you care if a bunch of random internet peeps from around the world believed you or not. theres no need to prove anything to anyone at that point.

and yes, anyone who didn't expect a volley of 245+ in this thread was being naive. first off there are at least a few thousand people who get these scores every year, and i hope everyone who posts here and puts a score high really got it, because if they didn't it would be really sad for that person. i doubt there are many doing it, and if any are it might be more of an embellishment rather than a total over statement

but who cares. no matter what your score is, if you let those three numbers define you, then you will be a bad doctor no matter if they are 188 or 268.

and im not just saying this cause i didnt score well, i got my goal: 231/99

nbme school assessment thing in april: 195
nbme 7 (2 weeks out): 223
nbme 6 (1 week out): 228
uworld qbank: 64%

used first aid and qbank as primary sources, used goljan for my weaknesses during the last week.

took the exam yesterday i was wondering where do i go to get my score in 4 weeks?

i am an IMG, so I have an account with ECFMG, do i access it through there?
just curious thank you
yes, you'll go to OASIS on the ECFMG site...should be there 3 wednesdays after you took it!

if you got a 250 why would you care if a bunch of random internet peeps from around the world believed you or not. theres no need to prove anything to anyone at that point.

and yes, anyone who didn't expect a volley of 245+ in this thread was being naive. first off there are at least a few thousand people who get these scores every year, and i hope everyone who posts here and puts a score high really got it, because if they didn't it would be really sad for that person. i doubt there are many doing it, and if any are it might be more of an embellishment rather than a total over statement

but who cares. no matter what your score is, if you let those three numbers define you, then you will be a bad doctor no matter if they are 188 or 268.

and im not just saying this cause i didnt score well, i got my goal: 231/99

nbme school assessment thing in april: 195
nbme 7 (2 weeks out): 223
nbme 6 (1 week out): 228
uworld qbank: 64%

used first aid and qbank as primary sources, used goljan for my weaknesses during the last week.
Dang it man, now I feel bad. I'm 34 years old and seriously don't know how to use photoshop. I realize there must be nothing to it, I just never have made the time to learn how to do it. My graduating high school class was the first one at my school that had the option of taking the "computer" class instead of the typing class. Anyway, I can see where you're coming from, and I suppose you're correct.

You haven't noticed the ungodly amounts of 250+ scores? ;) Thanks to sdn, I'm actually kind of bummed with my score, especially since my final NBME was in the high 250s.

SDN can make u crazy. Seeing the 270 posts reminded me I didn't reach my goal and I took the test over a year ago :laugh:

But to second what another poster said - 220+ is very good. Essentially higher than half of the med students out there that took it

SDN can make u crazy. Seeing the 270 posts reminded me I didn't reach my goal and I took the test over a year ago :laugh:

But to second what another poster said - 220+ is very good. Essentially higher than half of the med students out there that took it

I was just going to say, "SDN, the only place that can make your score in the 250's feel inadequate" haha

Was doing pelvic exams all day so I couldn't check more score. Got home today: 244/99!

My tips: Try to memorize FA (you won't be able to). Do UWorld. Have RR Path on hand to clarify FA and listen to Goljan while you work out (ie, during times when you can't study FA). Do NOT try to study RR Path or other resources besides FA. This will spread your time too thin and you won't be able to drive home the important points. The day you take your test, you STILL won't know everything in FA, so there is no need for additional study material. The most accurate NBME is the one you take closest to your exam.

SO HAPPY!!

Some stats:
First MCAT: 26 (retook because I wanted US-MD)
2nd MCAT: 35
5 weeks total studying time.
3.7 weeks out: NBME 6 - 226
2 weeks out: NBME 11 - 245
6 days out: NBME 12 - 242

Here is my score report, sorry about cropping: http://i.imgur.com/x08lV.jpg