Official comlex 1 2012 experiences, advice, and scores thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pink Candy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken COMLEX I, please feel free to post schedules, advice on studying/ how to best prepare, types of questions you saw on the test, something you wish you had done while preparing to improve your score, etc. Also feel free to post your score.

I am taking COMLEX I on June 25th, and I'm getting a bit nervous because I feel disorganized and don't have a solid plan. If I come across good suggestions, I will post them here right away. :D

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope we all rock this test!!!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I had two 8'' x 11.5'' sheets of dry eraser board with marker with dry erase pen. Same thing as my USMLE

**NO calculator for the COMLEX!, I went in assuming there was one, but any calculation will be simple math done on marker board.

Are there many equations on the COMLEX, typically? I'm wondering how in-depth I need to go on reviewing biostats/pulm/cardio/renal equations the day before.

Are there many equations on the COMLEX, typically? I'm wondering how in-depth I need to go on reviewing biostats/pulm/cardio/renal equations the day before.

I was told to know:
Renal - clearance, seems to be a 2 star meaning 1/3 people get a question
Pharm - know your LD, MD, Clearance, VD stuff. Garanteed 1 question, multiple likely
Biostats is 5 start, multiple questions for Sensitivity, specificity, OR, RR, AR, ARR, NNT, NNH, CI, etc
Everything else will be more conceptual

Anyone one else get COMQUEST? and if so what are your thoughts?? I am currently using COMBANK... about 10 days out from my exam and was thinking of getting it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the exam today. It was pretty random like some other folks have said previously. I will say that Pathoma was clutch for me on several questions in almost every section. The repro was plentiful and difficult at some points. A little cardio…all straight forward. The OMM was from Savarese for the most part. Not too much for Chapman's, but the ones I had weren't in Savarese. So look elsewhere for that like some others have said. I had a few neuro tracts outside of the "big three." I made sure to review the neuro section out of BRS-Physiology. It worked okay for me. I had a few genetics items, about 3-4 biostats, several psych, a little GI path, 4-5 renal, and significantly more peds than I expected (no milestones, though). Biochem was straight forward and easy.

For the micro I didn't see anything that I had not seen before. I read a few horror stories on SDN about the micro so I went outside of FA. I went through FA a couple of times and then made my way through the entire BRS-Micro….not reading all of it, just scanning. I highlighted any bugs, fungi, or viruses that I had not seen before in FA. I reviewed them a couple times as well as there's really not too many. I also did the same thing with CMMRS…again, only a few points. It really doesn't take that long to get through both of them and it's worth it on test day.

I'm probably not the best person to comment on the difficulty of the pharm, but for what it's worth, I thought it was all straight forward and legit.

Oh yeah….anatomy was HUGE on my test. I had several questions that were just straight up anatomy with really no clinical correlation. I reviewed my weak spots a couple days prior and it was helpful.

I would also take time to review the rapid review section in FA a few times. It makes it a little easier to recognize items in questions stems if you have those pages memorized.

Took the exam today. It was pretty random like some other folks have said previously. I will say that Pathoma was clutch for me on several questions in almost every section. The repro was plentiful and difficult at some points. A little cardio…all straight forward. The OMM was from Savarese for the most part. Not too much for Chapman’s, but the ones I had weren’t in Savarese. So look elsewhere for that like some others have said. I had a few neuro tracts outside of the “big three.” I made sure to review the neuro section out of BRS-Physiology. It worked okay for me. I had a few genetics items, about 3-4 biostats, several psych, a little GI path, 4-5 renal, and significantly more peds than I expected (no milestones, though). Biochem was straight forward and easy.

For the micro I didn’t see anything that I had not seen before. I read a few horror stories on SDN about the micro so I went outside of FA. I went through FA a couple of times and then made my way through the entire BRS-Micro….not reading all of it, just scanning. I highlighted any bugs, fungi, or viruses that I had not seen before in FA. I reviewed them a couple times as well as there’s really not too many. I also did the same thing with CMMRS…again, only a few points. It really doesn’t take that long to get through both of them and it’s worth it on test day.

I’m probably not the best person to comment on the difficulty of the pharm, but for what it’s worth, I thought it was all straight forward and legit.

Oh yeah….anatomy was HUGE on my test. I had several questions that were just straight up anatomy with really no clinical correlation. I reviewed my weak spots a couple days prior and it was helpful.

I would also take time to review the rapid review section in FA a few times. It makes it a little easier to recognize items in questions stems if you have those pages memorized.

The Neuro section is BRS phys seems a bit depleted, but im assuming it covered what you needed to know for your comlex?

Took the exam today. It was pretty random like some other folks have said previously. I will say that Pathoma was clutch for me on several questions in almost every section. The repro was plentiful and difficult at some points. A little cardio…all straight forward. The OMM was from Savarese for the most part. Not too much for Chapman’s, but the ones I had weren’t in Savarese. So look elsewhere for that like some others have said. I had a few neuro tracts outside of the “big three.” I made sure to review the neuro section out of BRS-Physiology. It worked okay for me. I had a few genetics items, about 3-4 biostats, several psych, a little GI path, 4-5 renal, and significantly more peds than I expected (no milestones, though). Biochem was straight forward and easy.

For the micro I didn’t see anything that I had not seen before. I read a few horror stories on SDN about the micro so I went outside of FA. I went through FA a couple of times and then made my way through the entire BRS-Micro….not reading all of it, just scanning. I highlighted any bugs, fungi, or viruses that I had not seen before in FA. I reviewed them a couple times as well as there’s really not too many. I also did the same thing with CMMRS…again, only a few points. It really doesn’t take that long to get through both of them and it’s worth it on test day.

I’m probably not the best person to comment on the difficulty of the pharm, but for what it’s worth, I thought it was all straight forward and legit.

Hi man, congrats on being done!!! I wanted to know, since I have 2 weeks left for my test, how should I use this time for effectively? I'm reading FA, have not touched anything else. Do u think I should read CMMRS, HY anatomy, and HY physio?

thanks!!!:D

Shadeblueracer, thanks for the awesome insights. I have an unrelated personal question: if you're gunning for Ortho, then why bother taking the USMLE anyway?

It's a good question. When I said I'm going for an ortho spot, I'm not discriminating against MD/DO. For me, whichever one has the greatest caseload, best location, and/or preparation to be a competent surgeon will be good enough for me regardless of the reputation or prestige of the program.

I understand that things can change over the next one and a half years as well, and taking the USMLE will open up doors if for some chance I end up loving my family practice rotations or IM spot. You just can't predict these things.

Yeah, it just hits the high points that you need. Mainly just those extra tracts. The BRS-neuro and HY-neuro would've been too much for what I had. BRS-phys was just right.

Good to know, appreciate the input. I was thinking about reading HY Neuro but I will stick to BRS Phys neuro, do you think its necessary to read the other chapters in BRS phys as well or is FA sufficient? I was planning on reading BRS Phys one more time since it gives a pretty good understanding of phys. Im about 2 weeks out of my exam as well, so anything that is time-saving would help, and I still need to read Savarese. Finishing DIT tomorrow.

took my exam today.

reading this forum over the past few days helped me, so here's my experience:

FA/Savarese will get you 70-80% of the questions. These 70-80% of questions are EXTREMELY easy. My main focus was USMLE, so I did Uworld and studied my a-- off ofr that, so I attribute a lot of what I found to be "easy" to my preparation for USMLE. so overall, very doable, however, I was bit upset at the quality of our national licensing exam - spelling errors, factually incorrect CORRECT answer choices, grammar errors--- and a good 10% of the questions seemed to be written in a manner that was meant to confuse you, but it seems like by the time the individual was done writing the question, they had only succeeded in confusing themselves. So just be ready for that --- especially if you're used to USMLE type questions, and don't be discouraged.

OMM - Savarese pretty much covered 80% of it.Read the first 12 chapters over the past few days and that was enough. I also did all of the Combank OMM questions last night to solidify my knowledge - that helped. My program had a solid OMM department, so I attribute some of my success to that as well. Definitely look outside of Savarese for Chapman's points as many have pointed out. I'm glad I did just that after seeing what people had posted here. Free pennies in the piggy bank.

There will be stuff that is beyond Savarese, but that's just the nature of these exams. Again 80% extremely easy if you've put the time in. 20% either I couldn't understand what they were asking me, or it took a bit of thought. But my opinion may not be the best opinion since I didn't study very long for it.

Also, if you're looking for an extra source, I cross referenced some chapters in Savarese with COMLEX - OMM review, and that helped as well. It in Q&A format, which I like. Honestly, had I the time, I thought that book was actually better and would've liked to have spent more time with that.

Micro - I learned micro pretty well from FA and Uworld throughout my board studies. I also had read parts of CMMRS. My micro professor was pretty awesome this year, and I learned her stuff well. Don't think CMMRS was necessary, and what I learned from my micro professor might've netted me an extra 2 points, but I'd say 95% of the questions could;ve been answered from FA. They throw in some distractor bugs that are quite obscure, but the answers were never anything I did not know. Again, the only thing that might trip you up here is the wording of a question stem so just be careful about that.

Pharm - 90% extremely straightforward. However, for me, there were definitely a handful of questions (3-4) that I found to be bad. i.e. testing what I thought were vague side effects (vomiting, nausea, HA -- I mean, honestly, there are thousands of drugs that can cause at least one of these SE at the right dosages) --- important info, I know, but not what's usually considered HY (esp in terms of board exams). OR knowing the BEST drug out of a group of drugs that all could be used for a certain condition. I haven't been on the wards yet, so I really don't know what's best. However, even with those I was still able to reason my way to the right answer based on what's in FA. At least I thought so.

Repro - heavily hit. 90% straightforward. 10% - hard -- only because you don't understand what they're trying to ask or because you're not a OB/GYN. Some questions were quite clinical, and I was only able to answer them bc of what I was able to squeeze out of my memory from school lecture material. Definitely do the Combank Qs for repro. They also helped me with a few of the more clinical questions.

Neuro - lot of questions but very easy. I read through HY neuro for USMLE twice, and had I been studying for just comlex, it would've been overkill.

Endo - not much, and super easy if you know whats in FA. phys is much more difficult on the USMLE, so this seemed like a cakewalk to me. BRS phys would be overkill here.

Heme - not much, and extremely easy. Some questions, again, d/t wording and erroneous lab values, were a bit confusing, but you can kind of figure out what they're getting at. If you're not sure, always try to provethe other answer choices wrong w/ the information given to arrive at the answer choice.

Anatomy - lots. Most were pretty easy. But anatomy is one of my strengths, so I'm not really good at assessing this. Not really sure what you could do to prepare yourself for this except to know the major nerve supply/arteries/muscles to/in all parts of the body. That'll get you the majority of the questions.

Immuno/pathology/onc - almost non-existent. I was slammed w/ these on my USMLE. was surprised when I didn't see much about these on Comlex. Maybe ~5 questions - easy. Dr Sattar is a genius w/ these. Don't think I missed a single question on immuno/path/onc b/w USMLE and COMLEX bc of this man.

Ethics/biostats/law - straightforward. some odd questions, but that's to be expected. Honestly, I thought these + the psych were the most well written questions out of the entire exam. For extra ethics/law questions, reference BRS behavioral sciences. They include several scenarios that are not presented in DIT/Uworld/FA and include a good synopsis of some of the major ethical principles, etc. Had maybe 1-2 biostats questions that were like sweet candy in my mouth.

Cardio - easy - if you understand the basics of cardio phys, and how the parameters of CV function might change w/ different pathologies, you should be completely fine. Basically just know FA. do a few questions, and you'll be good to go. If you're used to CV phys on Uworld, you're way too prepared.

GI - not much. can't remember anything difficult about this section. Or anything at all really. Haha.

Renal - not many questions - most were easy. 1 was extremely poorly written. but again, expect that and make the best of it.

MSK - not much. easy if you've read FA.

Biochem - ridiculously easy.

I know I've said a lot of these sections were easy. And to be honest, in terms of a good ~80% of all the questions on these systems, they were easy, and if you've studied FA well and worked through qs in a qbank, you'll be solid. However, all sections had about a good 10-15% of questions that were incredibly poorly written and difficult to understand --- either I really couldn't figure out what they were trying to ask me, or the stem/answer choices contained factually incorrect information -- which just confused me. When you see spelling errors on a national board exam, you know that factual errors are possible. So just disregard that and try to assume what they'd be asking. Then there were the 5% of the quesionts that were just EXTREMELY random. Just trivia. Not much you can do there other than to watch some Jeopardy or Family Feud, I guess, and get lucky -- or pray to A-dog Still himself and hope he fills you in on the details. But honestly, some of those qs I was able to get from what I learned in class, or by ruling out all the other choices based on what i knew. Maybe you'll be able to do the same.

All in all, a very poorly written exam. I sat there very disappointed throughout the entirety of the exam, in fact, especially after experiencing the quality of the USMLE just recently. But, on our brighter note, again, its definitely doable. Just be aware that you will have questions that will literally make you angry bc they are so poorly written and stay confident in what you know. At the end of the day, if you feel like something REALLY doesn't make sense, chances are you've been living in this country long enough to be a good enough judge of the English language, and you're not mistaken in thinking that the question really doesn't make any sense. And don't worry, because everybody else is thinking the same thing.

Not sure how I did. I know I passed, but I don't like to get my hopes up. I did well on all my practice exams (mainly NBMEs) so hopefully I didn't screw up today and make 400 stupid mistakes, haha.

Anyway, thanks to all that posted previously about their experiences. And to the rest of you, good luck.

took my exam today.

FA/Savarese will get you 70-80% of the questions. These 70-80% of questions are EXTREMELY easy. My main focus was USMLE, so I did Uworld and studied my a-- off ofr that, so I attribute a lot of what I found to be "easy" to my preparation for USMLE. so overall, very doable, however, I was bit upset at the quality of our national licensing exam - spelling errors, factually incorrect CORRECT answer choices, grammar errors--- and a good 10% of the questions seemed to be written in a manner that was meant to confuse you, but it seems like by the time the individual was done writing the question, they had only succeeded in confusing themselves. So just be ready for that --- especially if you're used to USMLE type questions, and don't be discouraged.

OMM - Savarese pretty much covered 80% of it.Read the first 12 chapters over the past few days and that was enough. I also did all of the Combank OMM questions last night to solidify my knowledge - that helped. My program had a solid OMM department, so I attribute some of my success to that as well. Definitely look outside of Savarese for Chapman's points as many have pointed out. I'm glad I did just that after seeing what people had posted here. Free pennies in the piggy bank.

There will be stuff that is beyond Savarese, but that's just the nature of these exams. Again 80% extremely easy if you've put the time in. 20% either I couldn't understand what they were asking me, or it took a bit of thought. But my opinion may not be the best opinion since I didn't study very long for it.

Also, if you're looking for an extra source, I cross referenced some chapters in Savarese with COMLEX - OMM review, and that helped as well. It in Q&A format, which I like. Honestly, had I the time, I thought that book was actually better and would've liked to have spent more time with that.

Micro - I learned micro pretty well from FA and Uworld throughout my board studies. I also had read parts of CMMRS. My micro professor was pretty awesome this year, and I learned her stuff well. Don't think CMMRS was necessary, and what I learned from my micro professor might've netted me an extra 2 points, but I'd say 95% of the questions could;ve been answered from FA. They throw in some distractor bugs that are quite obscure, but the answers were never anything I did not know. Again, the only thing that might trip you up here is the wording of a question stem so just be careful about that.

Pharm - 90% extremely straightforward. However, for me, there were definitely a handful of questions (3-4) that I found to be bad. i.e. testing what I thought were vague side effects (vomiting, nausea, HA -- I mean, honestly, there are thousands of drugs that can cause at least one of these SE at the right dosages) --- important info, I know, but not what's usually considered HY (esp in terms of board exams). OR knowing the BEST drug out of a group of drugs that all could be used for a certain condition. I haven't been on the wards yet, so I really don't know what's best. However, even with those I was still able to reason my way to the right answer based on what's in FA. At least I thought so.

Repro - heavily hit. 90% straightforward. 10% - hard -- only because you don't understand what they're trying to ask or because you're not a OB/GYN. Some questions were quite clinical, and I was only able to answer them bc of what I was able to squeeze out of my memory from school lecture material. Definitely do the Combank Qs for repro. They also helped me with a few of the more clinical questions.

Neuro - lot of questions but very easy. I read through HY neuro for USMLE twice, and had I been studying for just comlex, it would've been overkill.

Endo - not much, and super easy if you know whats in FA. phys is much more difficult on the USMLE, so this seemed like a cakewalk to me. BRS phys would be overkill here.

Heme - not much, and extremely easy. Some questions, again, d/t wording and erroneous lab values, were a bit confusing, but you can kind of figure out what they're getting at. If you're not sure, always try to provethe other answer choices wrong w/ the information given to arrive at the answer choice.

Anatomy - lots. Most were pretty easy. But anatomy is one of my strengths, so I'm not really good at assessing this. Not really sure what you could do to prepare yourself for this except to know the major nerve supply/arteries/muscles to/in all parts of the body. That'll get you the majority of the questions.

Immuno/pathology/onc - almost non-existent. I was slammed w/ these on my USMLE. was surprised when I didn't see much about these on Comlex. Maybe ~5 questions - easy. Dr Sattar is a genius w/ these. Don't think I missed a single question on immuno/path/onc b/w USMLE and COMLEX bc of this man.

Ethics/biostats/law - straightforward. some odd questions, but that's to be expected. Honestly, I thought these + the psych were the most well written questions out of the entire exam. For extra ethics/law questions, reference BRS behavioral sciences. They include several scenarios that are not presented in DIT/Uworld/FA and include a good synopsis of some of the major ethical principles, etc. Had maybe 1-2 biostats questions that were like sweet candy in my mouth.

Cardio - easy - if you understand the basics of cardio phys, and how the parameters of CV function might change w/ different pathologies, you should be completely fine. Basically just know FA. do a few questions, and you'll be good to go. If you're used to CV phys on Uworld, you're way too prepared.

GI - not much. can't remember anything difficult about this section. Or anything at all really. Haha.

Renal - not many questions - most were easy. 1 was extremely poorly written. but again, expect that and make the best of it.

I know I've said a lot of these sections were easy. And to be honest, in terms of a good ~80% of all the questions on these systems, they were easy, and if you've studied FA well and worked through qs in a qbank, you'll be solid. However, all sections had about a good 10-15% of questions that were incredibly poorly written and difficult to understand --- either I really couldn't figure out what they were trying to ask me, or the stem/answer choices contained factually incorrect information -- which just confused me. When you see spelling errors on a national board exam, you know that factual errors are possible. So just disregard that and try to assume what they'd be asking. Then there were the 5% of the quesionts that were just EXTREMELY random. Just trivia. Not much you can do there other than to watch some Jeopardy or Family Feud, I guess, and get lucky -- or pray to A-dog Still himself and hope he fills you in on the details. But honestly, some of those qs I was able to get from what I learned in class, or by ruling out all the other choices based on what i knew. Maybe you'll be able to do the same.

All in all, a very poorly written exam. I sat there very disappointed throughout the entirety of the exam, in fact, especially after experiencing the quality of the USMLE just recently. But, on our brighter note, again, its definitely doable. Just be aware that you will have questions that will literally make you angry bc they are so poorly written and stay confident in what you know. At the end of the day, if you feel like something REALLY doesn't make sense, chances are you've been living in this country long enough to be a good enough judge of the English language, and you're not mistaken in thinking that the question really doesn't make any sense. And don't worry, because everybody else is thinking the same thing.

Not sure how I did. I know I passed, but I don't like to get my hopes up. I did well on all my practice exams (mainly NBMEs) so hopefully I didn't screw up today and make 400 stupid mistakes, haha.

Anyway, thanks to all that posted previously about their experiences. And to the rest of you, good luck.

Thanks for the input man. How would you approach studying anatomy, as in sources or is FA enough?

Good to know, appreciate the input. I was thinking about reading HY Neuro but I will stick to BRS Phys neuro, do you think its necessary to read the other chapters in BRS phys as well or is FA sufficient? I was planning on reading BRS Phys one more time since it gives a pretty good understanding of phys. Im about 2 weeks out of my exam as well, so anything that is time-saving would help, and I still need to read Savarese. Finishing DIT tomorrow.

I think only that Neuro section is really necessary for COMLEX. It's the only part I actually read. I just used the other sections for reference if I was weak or didn't understand. Not sure about USMLE in regards to whether or not it's necessary, but I imagine a read of it would be helpful for that one. MuscleDoc would probably be the best one to comment on that if you're looking for that as well.

As long as you have a decent OMM department at your school, you should be able to get thru it pretty quick.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input man. How would you approach studying anatomy, as in sources or is FA enough?

Np, I probably should've slept my delirium off and waited til the morning to share my experience, haha. But I just reread it, and my experience still stands.

To answer your question: this is one section where depending on FA alone would definitely be a mistake -- at least in terms of what I saw yesterday and especially if you're shooting for Jayscin type scores.

Don't get me wrong, 80% of the questions tested the topics that everybody considers HY (i.e. DIT/FA) and were pretty easy, but because this subject was so heavily tested, the remaining ~20% that could not be found in those two resources was quite the chunk of test questions. For the most part, these weren't hard either, but if you didn't remember your anatomy from first year (or whenever you took it), I could see how it could've been difficult.

Bottom line, if you're looking to do really well and aren't confident in your knowledge of anatomy, I'd definitely look elsewhere. I'm a forum shark and from what I've seen, USMLE Roadmap to Anatomy (?) seems to be a popular choice for anatomy review. Heard its pretty solid for the COMLEX as well. So maybe look into that. BRS anatomy is quite long, and it might be hard to get through with the time you have left.

As I said before -- you will have some extremely obscure questions -- in all of the sections actually. No matter how much you've studied, either you won't be able to figure out what it is that they're trying to even ask you in the first place, or the topics are so extremely esoteric that even if the question is only slightly convoluted, you'll still be left clueless. Just remember that most people are probably feeling the same way, feel lucky if you happen to know that bit of information, otherwise, just make your best educated guess and move on.

Oh, and going along with what Jayscin said, a lot of that extra anatomy was covered in my OMM lectures as well. So if you had a solid OMM department, and you paid attention, you're probably more well prepared for the anatomy section than you think you are.

Last edited:
I think only that Neuro section is really necessary for COMLEX. It's the only part I actually read. I just used the other sections for reference if I was weak or didn't understand. Not sure about USMLE in regards to whether or not it's necessary, but I imagine a read of it would be helpful for that one. MuscleDoc would probably be the best one to comment on that if you're looking for that as well.

As long as you have a decent OMM department at your school, you should be able to get thru it pretty quick.

Good luck!

If you're taking the USMLE, I'd definitely take the time to read through the other sections in BRS phys. Uworld phys/pathophys Qs were awesome as well. In terms of Comlex, just as Jayscin says, don't think its necessary to do that. There really wasn't much phys at all and almost all of it was very straightforward.

Is there any good resource outside of Savarese for HY Chapman points? I'm not really sure where to look for the ones that aren't in the green book, except perhaps googling it.

took my exam today.

Thanks for the great overview. I'm taking mine on the 18th. Just curious, how was imaging on your exam?

are there any 12-lead ekg questions on comlex for those of you that took it recently?

i'm asking because in combank there are lot of 12-lead ekg problems and in FA they dont review that.

Also combank had alot of questions about Left and right bundle branch blocks. FA does not go over tihs. Is this on the comlex??

WE didnt learn how to idently RBBB or LBBB that well in second year. Can anyone help me figure it out?

Thanks!

Thanks for the great overview. I'm taking mine on the 18th. Just curious, how was imaging on your exam?

Nice. good luck. I think I might've had 3 images (X-rays/CT). Nothing too bad. I don't think I needed the images to answer the questions. And honestly, the quality of the images were so bad that they wouldn't have been much help anyway. I had one image that didn't even correlate with the answer choices. I remember looking at the image first and thinking, "easy" this is _____. Looked at A-E, nothing of the sort. Read the question stem and realized that they were going for something completely different. Go figure, haha.

Had some histopathology / gross images as well. Despite the images being taken in the 60s, the questions themselves weren't bad.

Is there any good resource outside of Savarese for HY Chapman points? I'm not really sure where to look for the ones that aren't in the green book, except perhaps googling it.

probably can find one online if you look hard enough for it. the other book that I referenced - http://www.amazon.com/COMLEX-Review...4481/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339189612&sr=8-2 had a good chart. I just used that. Its a good book. I'll be using it for step II for sure.

are there any 12-lead ekg questions on comlex for those of you that took it recently?

i'm asking because in combank there are lot of 12-lead ekg problems and in FA they dont review that.

Also combank had alot of questions about Left and right bundle branch blocks. FA does not go over tihs. Is this on the comlex??

WE didnt learn how to idently RBBB or LBBB that well in second year. Can anyone help me figure it out?

Thanks!

I had a couple EKG questions but they weren't too bad. I'm not sure how difficult they are on some other sets. I would be able to recognize RBBB, LBBB, LVH, RVH, Afib and flutter, Vfib vs Vtach, torsades, and the AV blocks....and obviously know where the leads are placed. I had one question where you needed to know lead placement in order to identify what was going on.

If you want to PM me any specific items you have and I can do my best to help out. I think I have a few hints that help me remember what their stereotypical presentations look like.

Thanks!

Definitely at least know the basics of EKGs. I knew they weren't HY for USMLE so I didn't bother learning them (I had 1 question on it on the USMLE and you didn't even need the EKG to answer the question). But you will have to interpret them on the COMLEX.

I had a couple EKG questions but they weren't too bad. I'm not sure how difficult they are on some other sets. I would be able to recognize RBBB, LBBB, LVH, RVH, Afib and flutter, Vfib vs Vtach, torsades, and the AV blocks....and obviously know where the leads are placed. I had one question where you needed to know lead placement in order to identify what was going on.

If you want to PM me any specific items you have and I can do my best to help out. I think I have a few hints that help me remember what their stereotypical presentations look like.

Hi Jay Jay

Reading some of these replies lends me to say this: Everyone's COMLEX is going to be different. Just because someone says they have 80% this or 50% that, does not matter at all. If they said 70% were easy questions or 40% were wtf questions, that does not matter. They are useful because it will maybe give you an idea of what to expect and it might be a "possibility" of what you can receive, but it does not mean it is going to show up on your test. (Repro might be the only exception, although I only had a few on my exam)

For example: compared to muscledoc, I had maybe 1 anatomy question, and about 50% (maybe even a little bit more?) were wtf questions (trust me when I say this, I was very prepared and some very other strong students in my class who took it the same day said the same thing).

The point is, if someone says "oh i had a crap ton of [x]" don't go crazy studying [x] and learning every single detail because you expect a lot of [x] to be on your test. It will probably hurt you in the long run if you are wasting time studying the minute details instead of solidifying the high yield.

For example: Some friends that took it last year told me that they had insertion origin questions. I almost spent the last few days before my exam studying anatomy (thankfully I chose to do comquest instead). Like I said... only 1 anatomy question, and it had to do with heart vessels.

Just my opinion. Good luck to everyone who still has to take it!

Reading some of these replies lends me to say this: Everyone's COMLEX is going to be different. Just because someone says they have 80% this or 50% that, does not matter at all. If they said 70% were easy questions or 40% were wtf questions, that does not matter. They are useful because it will maybe give you an idea of what to expect and it might be a "possibility" of what you can receive, but it does not mean it is going to show up on your test. (Repro might be the only exception, although I only had a few on my exam)

For example: compared to muscledoc, I had maybe 1 anatomy question, and about 50% (maybe even a little bit more?) were wtf questions (trust me when I say this, I was very prepared and some very other strong students in my class who took it the same day said the same thing).

The point is, if someone says "oh i had a crap ton of [x]" don't go crazy studying [x] and learning every single detail because you expect a lot of [x] to be on your test. It will probably hurt you in the long run if you are wasting time studying the minute details instead of solidifying the high yield.

For example: Some friends that took it last year told me that they had insertion origin questions. I almost spent the last few days before my exam studying anatomy (thankfully I chose to do comquest instead). Like I said... only 1 anatomy question, and it had to do with heart vessels.

Just my opinion. Good luck to everyone who still has to take it!

I agree with this. But I don't think anybody on this thread is naive enough to think that one person's experience is going to be their experience. Especially after reading the 6-7 drastically different accounts of peoples' COMLEX experiences in this thread.

Just like w/ anything else, one person's COMLEX experience is going to be individually unique. But you can still learn from it. E.g. if I had only taken your experience into consideration prior to taking my COMLEX, I probably would've just given up and slit my wrists the morning of. Thankfully, I didn't, but I prepared myself mentally for the probability of having some ridiculous questions on my exam. And sure enough, I had some questions like that. So thanks for preparing me for that.

Likewise, if I had just studied the Chapman's points out of Savarese, I would've missed these questions on my exam. I'm glad I read in somebody's post that they had a ton of chapman's points questions, many of which could not be found in Savarese. Did I have a TON of questions? No. But I'm still glad I paid attention to what that individual had written, because the one's I did have were not to be found in Savarese.

Same goes for repro. After reading that somebody had a crap ton of repro that was ridiculous, I did all of the Combank repro questions. And I'm glad I did. Because I got slammed w/ repro. Again, I agree with you that this may not be person X's experience who is taking it tomorrow. But what if it is?

Anyway, you're right. But I don't think anybody who's sharing their experience here is guaranteeing to the readers that their experience is going to be identical to everybody else's experience. In my opinion, best thing is to be over prepared and be happy when you don't get for instance, 50% of questions that are WTF questions. :thumbup:

I agree with this. But I don't think anybody on this thread is naive enough to think that one person's experience is going to be their experience. Especially after reading the 6-7 drastically different accounts of peoples' COMLEX experiences in this thread.

Just like w/ anything else, one person's COMLEX experience is going to be individually unique. But you can still learn from it. E.g. if I had only taken your experience into consideration prior to taking my COMLEX, I probably would've just given up and slit my wrists the morning of. Thankfully, I didn't, but I prepared myself mentally for the probability of having some ridiculous questions on my exam. And sure enough, I had some questions like that. So thanks for preparing me for that.

Likewise, if I had just studied the Chapman's points out of Savarese, I would've missed these questions on my exam. I'm glad I read in somebody's post that they had a ton of chapman's points questions, many of which could not be found in Savarese. Did I have a TON of questions? No. But I'm still glad I paid attention to what that individual had written, because the one's I did have were not to be found in Savarese.

Same goes for repro. After reading that somebody had a crap ton of repro that was ridiculous, I did all of the Combank repro questions. And I'm glad I did. Because I got slammed w/ repro. Again, I agree with you that this may not be person X's experience who is taking it tomorrow. But what if it is?

Anyway, you're right. But I don't think anybody who's sharing their experience here is guaranteeing to the readers that their experience is going to be identical to everybody else's experience. In my opinion, best thing is to be over prepared and be happy when you don't get for instance, 50% of questions that are WTF questions. :thumbup:
I completely agree. Just wanted to point out to take every ones advice for what it is, and have realistic expectations with the advice you see posted on here.
Was that last sentence supposed to be a stab at me? Cause it still bugs the crap out of me. If I don't get my residency just because I chose to take my test on the wrong day... don't even get me started. Every time I think about it, it literally ruins the rest of my day. Actually I'm starting to freak out right now that my score is going to be crap. All that work for nothing.

Can someone list all the chapman points that we should know that are not in the Green Savarese book?

Chapman's Points.... Here's 2 tables that I have. I know some of the info repeats, but I just copied and pasted it. Hope it helps!

Lungs Anterior CRP at 3rd and 4th intercostal spaces
Heart Anterior CRP at 2nd intercostal space
Sinuses Anterior CRP at 1st rib
Eye CRP at Lateral humerus
Ears CRP at Middle clavicle
Appendix CRP at tip of right 12th rib
Appendix Posterior CRP at tranverse process of T11
Rectum CRP at Lesser trochanter
Colon CRP at IT band
Adrenals Anterior CRP 2" superior and 1" lateral to umbilicus
Adrenals Posterior CRP between spinous and transverse processes of T11- 12
Kidneys Anterior CRP 1" superior and 1" lateral to umbilicus
Kidneys Posterior CRP between spinous and transverse processes of T12- L1
Bladder CRP at Periumbilical region
Prostate CRP at anterior superior iliotibial band

Head:
1. Otitis Media: On the superior edge of the clavicle where it crosses the first
rib.
2. Sinusitis: On the superior edge of the 2nd rib 3.5" from the sternum NECK/CHEST:

Neck/Chest
3. Cardiopulmonary and Thyroid: In the 2nd intercostal space close to the sternum
4. Upper lung fields: In the 3rd intercostal space close to the sternum
5. Lower lung fields: In the 4th intercostal space close to the sternum

GI:
6. Liver and Gall Bladder: In the 6th intercostal in the mid-mammillary line on the right
7. Small Intestines: 8th, 9th, and 10th Intercostal space near the cartilage
8. Appendix: Upper edge tip of 12th rib on the right side
9. Large intestine: Area 1 to 2" wide band on
a. Right ITB (superior to inferior): ileocecal area, ascending colon, hepatic flexure, right 1⁄2 of transverse colon
b. Left ITB (superior to inferior): sigmoid colon, descending colon, splenic flexure, left 1⁄2 of transverse colon

GU:
10. Adrenal: Area 2" to 2.5" superior and 1" lateral to the umbilicus
11. Renal: Area 1" superior and 1" lateral to the umbilicus
12. Bladder: Juxtaposition of the umbilicus with the bladder, Pubic symphysis – close to midline and half way between the superior and inferior edges

Chapman's Points.... Here's 2 tables that I have. I know some of the info repeats, but I just copied and pasted it. Hope it helps!

Lungs Anterior CRP at 3rd and 4th intercostal spaces
Heart Anterior CRP at 2nd intercostal space
Sinuses Anterior CRP at 1st rib
Eye CRP at Lateral humerus
Ears CRP at Middle clavicle
Appendix CRP at tip of right 12th rib
Appendix Posterior CRP at tranverse process of T11
Rectum CRP at Lesser trochanter
Colon CRP at IT band
Adrenals Anterior CRP 2" superior and 1" lateral to umbilicus
Adrenals Posterior CRP between spinous and transverse processes of T11- 12
Kidneys Anterior CRP 1" superior and 1" lateral to umbilicus
Kidneys Posterior CRP between spinous and transverse processes of T12- L1
Bladder CRP at Periumbilical region
Prostate CRP at anterior superior iliotibial band

Head:
1. Otitis Media: On the superior edge of the clavicle where it crosses the first
rib.
2. Sinusitis: On the superior edge of the 2nd rib 3.5” from the sternum NECK/CHEST:

Neck/Chest
3. Cardiopulmonary and Thyroid: In the 2nd intercostal space close to the sternum
4. Upper lung fields: In the 3rd intercostal space close to the sternum
5. Lower lung fields: In the 4th intercostal space close to the sternum

GI:
6. Liver and Gall Bladder: In the 6th intercostal in the mid-mammillary line on the right
7. Small Intestines: 8th, 9th, and 10th Intercostal space near the cartilage
8. Appendix: Upper edge tip of 12th rib on the right side
9. Large intestine: Area 1 to 2” wide band on
a. Right ITB (superior to inferior): ileocecal area, ascending colon, hepatic flexure, right 1⁄2 of transverse colon
b. Left ITB (superior to inferior): sigmoid colon, descending colon, splenic flexure, left 1⁄2 of transverse colon

GU:
10. Adrenal: Area 2” to 2.5” superior and 1” lateral to the umbilicus
11. Renal: Area 1” superior and 1” lateral to the umbilicus
12. Bladder: Juxtaposition of the umbilicus with the bladder, Pubic symphysis – close to midline and half way between the superior and inferior edges

THHANkS SOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all of you out there...... wanted to ask:

Last 2 weeks until the test.......:scared: What should I be doing now? What should I be concentrating on? :help:

Just want your invaluable 2 cents :thumbup:

I completely agree. Just wanted to point out to take every ones advice for what it is, and have realistic expectations with the advice you see posted on here.
Was that last sentence supposed to be a stab at me? Cause it still bugs the crap out of me. If I don't get my residency just because I chose to take my test on the wrong day... don't even get me started. Every time I think about it, it literally ruins the rest of my day. Actually I'm starting to freak out right now that my score is going to be crap. All that work for nothing.

Nah man, not at all. I've heard so much crap about the comlex from upper classmen that I'm glad I didn't have your kind of experience.

I wouldn't sweat it man, based on your nbmes etc. if you felt that way, chances are everybody did. And if worse comes to worst, from the couple of do residency Coordinators that I've spoken with, while board scores are important, they def aren't deal breakers. Even for the competitive specialties. Def much less so than a poor usmle score would be for a md residency.

I didnt have any but I heard the comlex likes them. I was surprised I didnt see any of them. I would just memorize the major ones; things that stand out.

Just to freak you all out I will add this one little point. Remember that both USMLE and COMLEX have multiple exam books/versions in one test administration. Thus one students exam version will not be another students exam version. COMLEX has at least 5 different "books" , moms tlikely more.

thanks StressMedStudent and jumpmanv15 for your inputs!!! :highfive:

by the way had a nightmare this morning: I was taking comlex and there were only 8 questions and they were fill in the blanks. all of the questions were pictures at 1000x magnification and the question was: what is this? I remember that for one there was a picture of a bunch of neutrophils and bands in a smear but couldn't be completely sure where it came from bc the magnification was so great!! anyway, I put "neutrophils" as my answer. well, at the end of the test the answer was: "leukemoid reaction" and i remember thinking, "how the heck was i supposed to know that with just that picture?. well to make a long story short, i only got 2 right out of the 8 and failed the freaking test......horrible!!!! :scared:

I guess it's a bit soon to be worried about this but on the NBOME website it says tests taken before Apr 18th have been released...that's almost 8 weeks ago. Will they release week by week, a few weeks at a time? Just curious how it has worked in the past.
I'm figuring I wont know how I did until mid-July seeing that makes me think it might be late July or early August.

thanks StressMedStudent and jumpmanv15 for your inputs!!! :highfive:

by the way had a nightmare this morning: I was taking comlex and there were only 8 questions and they were fill in the blanks. all of the questions were pictures at 1000x magnification and the question was: what is this? I remember that for one there was a picture of a bunch of neutrophils and bands in a smear but couldn't be completely sure where it came from bc the magnification was so great!! anyway, I put "neutrophils" as my answer. well, at the end of the test the answer was: "leukemoid reaction" and i remember thinking, "how the heck was i supposed to know that with just that picture?. well to make a long story short, i only got 2 right out of the 8 and failed the freaking test......horrible!!!! :scared:

Sounds like your Beta waves are off the chain. :laugh::sleep:

I'm sure you will be fine. It'd be funny if that ended up being a question and thats the right answer on the real thing.

I guess it's a bit soon to be worried about this but on the NBOME website it says tests taken before Apr 18th have been released...that's almost 8 weeks ago. Will they release week by week, a few weeks at a time? Just curious how it has worked in the past.
I'm figuring I wont know how I did until mid-July seeing that makes me think it might be late July or early August.
A possible 8 week wait for our scores? :( That would be rough. I'd already be half way into my 1st rotation.

Sounds like your Beta waves are off the chain. :laugh::sleep:

I'm sure you will be fine. It'd be funny if that ended up being a question and thats the right answer on the real thing.

hahaha i know!!! Each day that goes by i get more and more insane..... good thing that my first rotation is psych because i will sure need it :laugh:

Took the test today:

Comsae A: 540
Comlsae B: 640
Nbme 7/11/13: 240/240/250
UW: 68% and 85% on second pass.
Combank: 90%

My test was about 30% Omm, 30% micro, 10% Neuro, 30% the rest.

Omm:
A lot of viscerosomatics all in the green book
Next most common was chapman. Colon, gallbladder, and liver made multiple appearances.
3-4 cranial, all basics
A few sacrum diagnosis and to questions
A few I don't quite recall

Micro:
Heavy on atypical pneumonias, biological warfare bugs, water loving bugs, and some of the usual stuff.
Virulence factors made quite a show.
Foreign parasites also made quite a show.
Minor pharmacology was present but just DoC type.

Neuro:
Thalami nuclei, various vitamins and Neuro deficits, typical localize the lesion.

The rest:
Heavy on lower extremity anatomy, cardiophys, and just a mush of other stuff. Only had 2 epidemiology questions.

Good luck everyone.

I just thought that it may be interesting to know for those of you who took the test and already got their scores back, if you could share what comsae test would you say predicted most closely your actual score. I just want to make sure I pick the right version to take!!!

thanks to everyone for your inputs!!!! :thumbup:

Took the test today:

Comsae A: 540
Comlsae B: 640
Nbme 7/11/13: 240/240/250
UW: 68% and 85% on second pass.
Combank: 90%

My test was about 30% Omm, 30% micro, 10% Neuro, 30% the rest.

Omm:
A lot of viscerosomatics all in the green book
Next most common was chapman. Colon, gallbladder, and liver made multiple appearances.
3-4 cranial, all basics
A few sacrum diagnosis and to questions
A few I don't quite recall

Micro:
Heavy on atypical pneumonias, biological warfare bugs, water loving bugs, and some of the usual stuff.
Virulence factors made quite a show.
Foreign parasites also made quite a show.
Minor pharmacology was present but just DoC type.

Neuro:
Thalami nuclei, various vitamins and Neuro deficits, typical localize the lesion.

The rest:
Heavy on lower extremity anatomy, cardiophys, and just a mush of other stuff. Only had 2 epidemiology questions.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks, do you think Pathoma is necessary? with 10 days left I don't find much time between FA/Green Book/qbanks to squeeze pathoma in.... probably wont be able to use it :(

Thanks, do you think Pathoma is necessary? with 10 days left I don't find much time between FA/Green Book/qbanks to squeeze pathoma in.... probably wont be able to use it :(

Have been using Pathoma throughout the year and have it annotated? I wouldn't recommend it if you are just starting it with 10 days to go. FA/Qbank/Saverese would probably be the way to go.

I've heard rumors that for combank
60%=400, 70%=500, 80%= 600, 90%='700 and 100%=800.

Not proven but figure I'd share.

"Pass line is calculated to indicate a >90% probability of passing the COMLEX. Our preliminary data show that a score of 72-75% would likely result in a COMLEX score of between 575 and 625."

Quote from Combank's Facebook page.

Took the test today. Very Random and the questions stems on my exam were longer than combank probably closer to uworld in length and construction. Everyones test is obviously a little different. Here is a breakdown these are all estimates that I can remember. Best of luck everyone. Any questions just let me know.

I had ZERO Sacrum questions
Tons and tons and tons of autonomics.30 questions it seemed at least
Lots of anatomy upper/lower extremity
Physiology was non existent, MAYBE10 questions total which I thought was odd
Heme & Onc pharm 10 quesitons
The mechanism of fever was hit hard 6-7 questions, pathoma covers all and more
Biochem 5-6 quesitons
Embryo 1 whole question
4 Ethics questions
2 Stats (no calculations)
Lots of micro mostly in first aid
Neuro was simple, no images just cranial nerve pathways
Finally drugs of addiction and all pharm associated with the neuro/psyc section was hit rather hard 15-20 questions

Have been using Pathoma throughout the year and have it annotated? I wouldn't recommend it if you are just starting it with 10 days to go. FA/Qbank/Saverese would probably be the way to go.

I did a few chapters only. I guess I will stick to those especially since I didnt even finishing reading Savarese... but people said its a doable read... so Im hoping i can finish it up in the next 2 days and then review it again also...

are the tests in the back of Savarese worth doing? I heard they are tough

I hardly used pathoma. I had Goljan my professor so I stuck to that for the most part.