Official comlex 1 2012 experiences, advice, and scores thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pink Candy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken COMLEX I, please feel free to post schedules, advice on studying/ how to best prepare, types of questions you saw on the test, something you wish you had done while preparing to improve your score, etc. Also feel free to post your score.

I am taking COMLEX I on June 25th, and I'm getting a bit nervous because I feel disorganized and don't have a solid plan. If I come across good suggestions, I will post them here right away. :D

Thanks for everyone's help, and I hope we all rock this test!!!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I just took comsae C and received 440. I need some help. our school just ended a couple of weeks ago and all i've done for board studying is complete 50% of combank. Thats it. I am taking the comlex end of june. My goal is 600+. Can someone please help me and tell me what else I should do to achieve this goal. what does a 440 mean? Is that a despicable score?

I just took comsae C and received 440. I need some help. our school just ended a couple of weeks ago and all i've done for board studying is complete 50% of combank. Thats it. I am taking the comlex end of june. My goal is 600+. Can someone please help me and tell me what else I should do to achieve this goal. what does a 440 mean? Is that a despicable score?

Well, first off, I think its good you passed. How many weeks do you have till your exam? I'm taking mine on June 22, and I would love to get a 600+ but that def takes effort because the curve is not friendly.

Have you read FA or done DIT? I am doing DIT right now and am picking up on a lot of little facts that I've missed in the past. I'm not sure what you noticed on COMSAE C but I assume there was a lot of Micro/Pharm/Repro/OMM (plz correct me if I am wrong as I have only taken COMSAE A) I think you should try to read FA at least 2x and then a third read over all your weaknesses, as well as continue finishing up Combank and try Comquestmed Level 1 qbank. It is more challenging and has way better explanations than Combank, in my opinion. I'm considering buying it after using the free trial but I just wish it was out for at least a year or 2 and I don't feel comformtable yet buying it esp since I haven't made a dent in Combank (I was using Uworld). Uworld is always a good option if you have time.

If you can fill me in a bit more on how COMSAE C was structured maybe i can give you more suggestions, but doing FA w/ or w/o DIT and reading the Green book should be your priorities in addition to doing at least a block of Combank daily.

Hope that helps!

Don't worry bunch of us didn't make the 450 cutoff. I got over a 400 but there is still a lot of work to do.

Have you been doing DIT? I still have to go thru that, hoping that will help push me over once I finish review of FA.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry bunch of us didn't make the 450 cutoff. I got over a 400 but there is still a lot of work to do.

Have you been doing DIT? I still have to go thru that, hoping that will help push me over once I finish review of FA.

C had a lot of psych/cns drugs that was surprising, BS really screwed me up. Rest was OB/bugs/drugs, nothing surprising.

Can you get Form C without the school purchasing it?

Well, if all you have done is do 50% of combank for board studying, that right there is your problem :p Just put in some hard work... Read read read, question questions questions. You need to just drill concepts in. At this point, its kind of late to go through outside sources, so just hammer in first aid, and do as many questions as possible. Once you finish combank, hop right onto comquest (no time for uworlds if your taking it end of June). I have done a little over 1300 of the comquest questions and they are good, so that is your best option.

If you want brute honesty.. ya 440 is pretty much on the low end. Passing is 400, and average is 500. To hit a 600 at this point, will take a lot of work, and will be pretty damn hard, but I'm not saying its impossible, or that you can't do it. I set my goal at 650+, but of course I will be pleased with anything above a 600+... and I started studying in January... So get to work, too much worrying will be counter productive and time is limited.. Good luck.

I have not done DIT because I heard it was useless. I just annote in first aid as I do combank questions.

Well, if all you have done is do 50% of combank for board studying, that right there is your problem :p Just put in some hard work... Read read read, question questions questions. You need to just drill concepts in. At this point, its kind of late to go through outside sources, so just hammer in first aid, and do as many questions as possible. Once you finish combank, hop right onto comquest (no time for uworlds if your taking it end of June). I have done a little over 1300 of the comquest questions and they are good, so that is your best option.

If you want brute honesty.. ya 440 is pretty much on the low end. Passing is 400, and average is 500. To hit a 600 at this point, will take a lot of work, and will be pretty damn hard, but I'm not saying its impossible, or that you can't do it. I set my goal at 650+, but of course I will be pleased with anything above a 600+... and I started studying in January... So get to work, too much worrying will be counter productive and time is limited.. Good luck.

Thanks frankyazz! I think im going to incorporate golgian audio into y studies. I do annotate in FA while doing questions. I will take another comsae in 2 weeks and if i still do bad i'm going to push my exam back a month.

Metabolism as in knowing the glycolysis, krebs, urea, and gluconeogeneisis? :(
I've kind of been neglecting biochem, don't scare me, I have my test in a few days...

No no no. The only pathway question I had was about the urea cycle. That was it. The other questions were basically disease states. If you're just taking comlex, seriously don't worry about biochem. I think all in all I had 6 questions that I could pick out that were strictly from the biochem section of first aid. Although theyre easy points if you memorize it, I just don't think it's worth it to spend a lot of time for so little questions.

Good to know. I guess I will just try and memorize rate limiting steps and whatever FA/DIT says to do.

Do you know if Pharmacodynamics/Pharmacokinetics is necessary to spend time? Like the Line-weaver Burk plots and all the Vd, half life equations?

From what I can remember, I had a graph on potency. Just one question though. Didn't have any of the equation type questions. From the Pharm section of FA I just focuses on all of the drugs, and memorized all the receptor functions. That is what most of the questions from that section focused on.

From what I can remember, I had a graph on potency. Just one question though. Didn't have any of the equation type questions. From the Pharm section of FA I just focuses on all of the drugs, and memorized all the receptor functions. That is what most of the questions from that section focused on.

Ok thanks a lot, I guess I'll look at the graphs but those equations just don't seem that HY... but I feel like anythings possible so if I get time i'll glaze over it if i can... still have to read green book and stuff so im trying to minimize on all that other craap

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, first off, I think its good you passed. How many weeks do you have till your exam? I'm taking mine on June 22, and I would love to get a 600+ but that def takes effort because the curve is not friendly.

Have you read FA or done DIT? I am doing DIT right now and am picking up on a lot of little facts that I've missed in the past. I'm not sure what you noticed on COMSAE C but I assume there was a lot of Micro/Pharm/Repro/OMM (plz correct me if I am wrong as I have only taken COMSAE A) I think you should try to read FA at least 2x and then a third read over all your weaknesses, as well as continue finishing up Combank and try Comquestmed Level 1 qbank. It is more challenging and has way better explanations than Combank, in my opinion. I'm considering buying it after using the free trial but I just wish it was out for at least a year or 2 and I don't feel comformtable yet buying it esp since I haven't made a dent in Combank (I was using Uworld). Uworld is always a good option if you have time.

If you can fill me in a bit more on how COMSAE C was structured maybe i can give you more suggestions, but doing FA w/ or w/o DIT and reading the Green book should be your priorities in addition to doing at least a block of Combank daily.

Hope that helps!

So from what I remember from the exam, there were alot of micro questions, but for half of them you had to first know what bug they were talking about then you had to know how to treat that bug. There were also TONSSSSS of Fungi on the exam.

Pharm - drugs for gout, Psych drugs galore!!!!!!!!!!!

Physio - alot of acid/base questions, few cardio question, GI, respiratory.

Path - Ob/gyn heavy, GI, renal

Anatomy -artieries that supply the abodominal organs

Neuro - lot of neuro question regarding dorsal colums, and innervations of the arms and legs

Behavioral med - some questions on schizo/depression

omm was pretty straight foward - vsr/couple chapman, couple sacrum, 1 scoliosis, lof of piriformis and levels

thats all I can remember now. I hope its legal for me to write all that

Hey guys.... Taking my test on June 25th, and just started studying for it recently. Want to know, since micro is a big chunk of comlex, how to efficiently study it. I am reading first aid right now, and i also have the CMMRS (which I have not read yet). someone adviced to annotate CMMRS into FA, but I just don't know exaclty how to do it, or how long it will take. I also have some kaplan 2011 videos, but I have no idea how long they are because it doesnt say in the file properties, so I am just reading FA for now. Please, please, advice on how to study and memory all this crazy stuff:eek:

Hey guys.... Taking my test on June 25th, and just started studying for it recently. Want to know, since micro is a big chunk of comlex, how to efficiently study it. I am reading first aid right now, and i also have the CMMRS (which I have not read yet). someone adviced to annotate CMMRS into FA, but I just don't know exaclty how to do it, or how long it will take. I also have some kaplan 2011 videos, but I have no idea how long they are because it doesnt say in the file properties, so I am just reading FA for now. Please, please, advice on how to study and memory all this crazy stuff:eek:
I read CMMRS and annotated a while back. It is an easy read and you can probably do around a 100 pages a day... At this point though, I don't think you have the time. You can easily end up spending a week on micro alone with CMMRS + annotating + memorizing... That gives you less than 3 weeks to do everything else! So I would recommend just doing FA, questions, and annotating anything from questions.

Yeah, I think FA + Qbanks (Uworld/Combank/Comquest) should be good. Also, whatever wierd bugs you get off the COMSAEs if you can make note of that and try to look up info, that may help.

FA's micro section is pretty good though IMO, and its one of the longest in the book.

No no no. The only pathway question I had was about the urea cycle. That was it. The other questions were basically disease states. If you're just taking comlex, seriously don't worry about biochem. I think all in all I had 6 questions that I could pick out that were strictly from the biochem section of first aid. Although theyre easy points if you memorize it, I just don't think it's worth it to spend a lot of time for so little questions.
Oh okay then, thats better :)

What about those horrible children milestone development questions...any of those? I can't stand those :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

What about those horrible children milestone development questions...any of those? I can't stand those :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Spoke to an upperclassmen recently, said to man up and just try and memorize them cuz could be a few q on the exam :annoyed:

I didnt have any but I heard the comlex likes them. I was surprised I didnt see any of them. I would just memorize the major ones; things that stand out.

In the spirit of giving back since I found these threads so helpful....

Just took it today. Overall, I didn't think it was that bad.

Know your levels, you will get a ton of points. My test focused a lot on lower GI levels, pathology, micro. I did have cranial, maybe 5-6 that I can remember. Only 1 didn't really make sense to me, but the others could be answered by knowing Savarese.

Biochem - maybe 5-6 questions, all straight forward and no complicated pathways or signaling.

Micro - lots of micro, but FA was enough to answer 95+% of these.

Pharm - lots of pharm. Some were tricky, but I don't think I saw any drugs that weren't covered in FA.

Phys - not many questions.

Anatomy - quite a bit and some of the neuroanatomy I did not know because it's not covered in FA (and I didn't feel like relearning it from 1st year). Also, some of the anatomy was more detailed than I expected (branches of nerves, arteries - not just the main ones).

Biostats - had 1 question, that was it.

Genetics - just a few.

WTH ?s - yes, there were some of these. Just pick an answer and move on.

Also, I saw at least 3-4 questions that were the exact same questions from Combank. I mainly did UWorld and some Combank - wishing I would have done more Combank. I thought the style and questions in Combank pretty well reflected my COMLEX experience - even down to spelling errors - yes, there were a few today:)

This thread may explain your COMSAE score :eek: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=917360

In the spirit of giving back since I found these threads so helpful....

Just took it today. Overall, I didn't think it was that bad.

Know your levels, you will get a ton of points. My test focused a lot on lower GI levels, pathology, micro. I did have cranial, maybe 5-6 that I can remember. Only 1 didn't really make sense to me, but the others could be answered by knowing Savarese.

Biochem - maybe 5-6 questions, all straight forward and no complicated pathways or signaling.

Micro - lots of micro, but FA was enough to answer 95+% of these.

Pharm - lots of pharm. Some were tricky, but I don't think I saw any drugs that weren't covered in FA.

Phys - not many questions.

Anatomy - quite a bit and some of the neuroanatomy I did not know because it's not covered in FA (and I didn't feel like relearning it from 1st year). Also, some of the anatomy was more detailed than I expected (branches of nerves, arteries - not just the main ones).

Biostats - had 1 question, that was it.

Genetics - just a few.

WTH ?s - yes, there were some of these. Just pick an answer and move on.

Also, I saw at least 3-4 questions that were the exact same questions from Combank. I mainly did UWorld and some Combank - wishing I would have done more Combank. I thought the style and questions in Combank pretty well reflected my COMLEX experience - even down to spelling errors - yes, there were a few today:)
Does this mean I need to cram BRS anatomy :(? Was it mostly extremities?

Stick with combank, a lot of people before us have used it for level 1 and done fine, besides you have only 50% of it left. Once you finish it you can do comquest.

I wish we werent the first year when comquest released level 1 or they released it a little earlier, bc the trial was legit the questions and the explanations were pretty in depth

guess ill stick to combank till i get convinced otherwise

Does this mean I need to cram BRS anatomy :(? Was it mostly extremities?

I don't think you need to cram BRS anatomy since most of the anatomy is what we've been used to in OPP. There were just some questions where they went a step further than the typical anatomy. For example (this was NOT a specific test question on my test), they might ask you about weakness, decreased sensation in the 4th/5th digits, and they want you to know a specific branch of the ulnar nerve (deep vs. superficial) instead of answering ulnar nerve like I am used to doing in OPP.

For neuro, I just needed to spend more time on the nuclei and manifestations of lesions. I kept it to the level at FA, and my Comlex was a little more specific - more nuclei.

In general, most of the anatomy is doable with FA and OPP. Just know for a few questions, there may be some random nerve, muscle, artery you haven't seen since 1st semester anatomy.

I've started using COMQUEST and am really enjoying the questions.Their explanations teach the material well (and go into a good amount of depth). The question style and format as been pretty consistent with what I saw on the COMSAE so I'm banking on it.
I've read before that the COMLEX changes every 2-3 years, so I'm actually glad that we have a new question bank.

What do you need on combank to do well on comlex? I just did 200 questions and got 69%. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.

I read CMMRS and annotated a while back. It is an easy read and you can probably do around a 100 pages a day... At this point though, I don't think you have the time. You can easily end up spending a week on micro alone with CMMRS + annotating + memorizing... That gives you less than 3 weeks to do everything else! So I would recommend just doing FA, questions, and annotating anything from questions.

Thanks so much!!! So how much time do you think I should spend on each subject, or going thru FA? 'cuz I was thinking spending 2 weeks going thru FA and doing some questions, and then the other 2 weeks doing mostly questions; but for what I see now I may need a bit more time to really memorize all that stuff!!! I wish I could be like some of you that can study 8-12 hrs/day ,:shrug: cuz i get distracted so easily:smack:

Yeah, I think FA + Qbanks (Uworld/Combank/Comquest) should be good. Also, whatever wierd bugs you get off the COMSAEs if you can make note of that and try to look up info, that may help.

FA's micro section is pretty good though IMO, and its one of the longest in the book.

thanks jumpmanv15!!! I get ansie and a bit overwhelmed 'cuz is basically doing 2 yrs in 4 weeks.....crazy i tell you. Any suggestions on how to best invest my time? :confused:

buccsmf1, how did you prepare for comlex? What was your schedule like after you were done with school? I am trying to get organized to have more productive study sessions, so I would like to know what areas to focus on, and roughly, how much time should i dedicate to each? what should be my daily pattern? also, I want to study by systems, but don't know where to intergrate biochm, omm, and micro in a system based approach... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! ;)

Hey, sorry it took so long to respond, I was enjoying some well deserved R&R after my tests :)

I prepared for comlex by preparing for the USMLE, which I took 1 week before the COMLEX. UWORLD is a great bank for actually learning the material. I would recommend UWORLD to anyone that has the time to complete it, regardless of whether you're taking usmle or comlex. As far as texts, I used mostly FA and Pathoma.

We finished finals and I had about 1 month before my test. I spent each morning doing 2 question sets, and then the afternoons reviewing subjects. All in all, about 8-10 hours per day. Granted I already completed uworld once during spring semester, so my last month was my second pass.

As far as systems, I also studied by systems. But I wouldnt necessarily worry about trying to integrate biochem and micro right away. Just study them on their own, and once you make your second pass through, things will make more sense. OMM can pretty much be studied on its own, just read savarese and do all the combank questions for OMM.

Hey thanks for the update! Is FA Biochem sufficient? I am taking the USMLE after my COMLEX so I would like to know whether to do Kaplan Biochem now or after I take the Comlex and just stick to FA Biochem. Thanks!

FA biochem is MORE than enough for comlex. The biochem on comlex was brutally easy compared to the usmle stuff.

But yes, Kaplan biochem is a great supplement for learning the extra stuff needed for the usmle.

Thank u so much jumpmanv15!!! Your advice has improved my anxiety.... Enjoy your well-deserved vacation!!!:highfive: If you remember any good tips or things to do/focus on just let me know ;)

Thank u so much jumpmanv15!!! Your advice has improved my anxiety.... Enjoy your well-deserved vacation!!!:highfive: If you remember any good tips or things to do/focus on just let me know ;)

Oh, no problem but no vacation for me. I have my COMLEX on the 22nd. Just tryna get by.

Good luck!

I've started using COMQUEST and am really enjoying the questions.Their explanations teach the material well (and go into a good amount of depth). The question style and format as been pretty consistent with what I saw on the COMSAE so I'm banking on it.
I've read before that the COMLEX changes every 2-3 years, so I'm actually glad that we have a new question bank.
Agreed!

Just finished comquest.... I give it a :thumbup::thumbup:. I recommend it over combank if you had to pick one.

1 more day to study... then its go time :xf::scared::scared::xf:

Just finished comquest.... I give it a :thumbup::thumbup:. I recommend it over combank if you had to pick one.

1 more day to study... then its go time :xf::scared::scared::xf:
Haven't done COMBANK....but I have done Q's from Kaplan, UWorld, USMLERx...and the quality of Comquest is definitely as good as any of 'em.

Goodluck frankyazz, I think everyone here knows you will do great....unless you forget your ID or something like that...but otherwise...great!

Haven't done COMBANK....but I have done Q's from Kaplan, UWorld, USMLERx...and the quality of Comquest is definitely as good as any of 'em.

Goodluck frankyazz, I think everyone here knows you will do great....unless you forget your ID or something like that...but otherwise...great!

yea Comquest looks/feels/seems like a quality bank, hopefully we get some quality results as well

combank seems to be a joke for me. I've done 1000 questions of random-timed-unused and averaged 92%. Granted this is after battling UW. I got a 68% in that first pass and an 85% on 2nd pass of missed questions.

Do you guys think doing COMBANK and COMQUEST COMSAE A, B, C (got 440), golgian audio, kaplan phyio book, is enough to get 550? I am realizing 600+ impossible now. :-(

Do you guys think doing COMBANK and COMQUEST COMSAE A, B, C (got 440), golgian audio, kaplan phyio book, is enough to get 550? I am realizing 600+ impossible now. :-(
Its good to set a goal. Just set a goal and try to achieve it. Trying your best is really all you can do. There is really no point in trying to "calculate" what you should do in order to achieve a certain score because its basically impossible to do that.

Bottom line: Try your best, do what you can do, and see what the outcome is. There is only so much you can control.

Hey, sorry it took so long to respond, I was enjoying some well deserved R&R after my tests :)

I prepared for comlex by preparing for the USMLE, which I took 1 week before the COMLEX. UWORLD is a great bank for actually learning the material. I would recommend UWORLD to anyone that has the time to complete it, regardless of whether you're taking usmle or comlex. As far as texts, I used mostly FA and Pathoma.

We finished finals and I had about 1 month before my test. I spent each morning doing 2 question sets, and then the afternoons reviewing subjects. All in all, about 8-10 hours per day. Granted I already completed uworld once during spring semester, so my last month was my second pass.

As far as systems, I also studied by systems. But I wouldnt necessarily worry about trying to integrate biochem and micro right away. Just study them on their own, and once you make your second pass through, things will make more sense. OMM can pretty much be studied on its own, just read savarese and do all the combank questions for OMM.
hey, i was just wondering, I'm using pathoma as well and i love him but did you think it was sufficient for both/either exam? and also, do you have an opinion on what anatomy/neuroanatomy resources you thought were sufficient for the exams? I've noticed the qbanks themselves ask stuff that isn't in FA..

thank you!

Has anyone worked out a rough correlation between comlex scores and combank %? I've searched, but haven't found anything. I know they say 62% will give you a 90% chance to pass, right? Anyone know anything beyond this?

Has anyone worked out a rough correlation between comlex scores and combank %? I've searched, but haven't found anything. I know they say 62% will give you a 90% chance to pass, right? Anyone know anything beyond this?

I think it's going to vary with how you take the questions. Are you talking 60% over all? blocks of random 50 questions timed?

Hard to standardize it...

Just took it today.. Worst test ever, and very poor representation of medical knowledge, I would rather have taken USMLE any day. I guess tests prior to mine were a lot easier or something. For example, 75% of the micro was pretty abstract ( they would describe an ear infection and the gram stain would be something weird aka not strep pneumo, H. infulenza, or moraxella ).
Compared to what everyone says, my test wasn't "heavy" on any subject... it was everywhere. If I HAD to say what mine was heaviest in, I would say MAYBE in the following order:

Micro: Like i said, mostly "low yield" viruses and bacteria

Neuro: Had a bunch of epidural, subdural, subarachnoid, and weird variety of concussion questions that I would have never got even if I studied for another 5 months. Few vascular lesions.

Pharm: compared to what everyone says, I didnt have much pharm at all. Probably 5 pharm questions a block on average

Repro: Few breast diseases, prostates, placenta

GI: few GERD, cholecystitis

Resp: few resp path questions

Biochem: some genetic stuff, few vitamins

Edocrine: some thyroid stuff , cushings

cardio: some murmurs, pericarditis

msk: probl like 3 questions on RA, and 1 rickets

Renal: 1 or 2 renal questions?

Thats all I can think of. The OPP was ridiculous. Aside from the standard ribs, sacrum, innominates etc. I had maybe 6-8 questions on what bone in skull had a dysfunction causing some sort of symptom. I had 1 chapman point question.

Overall I am not very happy right now....I was expecting a few questions out of left field, but not nearly to the extent to what I experienced. I guess I will just have to wait and see.