*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anything wrong with an internal ranking for AOA purposes?

If they rank you internally, then some people will say it's not true P/F because people are still going to be competing for that ranking, and some schools will include the ranking on the MSPE.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been in a dilemma on whether to get a roommate and cut down $300-$350 per month or go up to a single bedroom for guaranteed quietness. I'm probably going to do a single bedroom for this year and then graduate up to having roommates the next year; I feel that will be a balanced approach to living situations.

Reactions: 1 users
Many will say it's nice not having to stress about that during preclinicals. Let's you focus on just passing, family, step 1, research, or whatever else floats your boat

If they rank you internally, then some people will say it's not true P/F because people are still going to be competing for that ranking, and some schools will include the ranking on the MSPE.
I see, well yeah I can guess how that can still create a competitive atmosphere. To be AOA, do you have to be top 10% of the class?

I've been in a dilemma on whether to get a roommate and cut down $300-$350 per month or go up to a single bedroom for guaranteed quietness. I'm probably going to do a single bedroom for this year and then graduate up to having roommates the next year; I feel that will be a balanced approach to living situations.
Idk, having the luxury of your own space might be tough to let go

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, well yeah I can guess how that can still create a competitive atmosphere. To be AOA, do you have to be top 10% of the class?

Idk, having the luxury of your own space might be tough to let go

Every school has its own way of doing AOA unless they don’t do AOA at all (Yale, HMS, Stanford, Case (effectively)).

At many places it doesn’t factor in preclinical grades at all. At some it does. At some, only half your preclinical grades (Penn). Varies

Anybody else gonna do the long distance relationship thing for a bit? Thinking about getting a roommate so I can cut down on housing costs which will let me travel more (its like 7 hour drive but still).

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else gonna do the long distance relationship thing for a bit? Thinking about getting a roommate so I can cut down on housing costs which will let me travel more (its like 7 hour drive but still).
I’m currently accepted to a school that’s across the country from my husband, so I’m planning to live with my mom, haha. Make sure your prospective roommate is totally cool with your SO visiting whenever they want. You’d never want to be in a situation where your SO feels unwelcome in your apartment. Just my 2 cents based on previous experience.

Reactions: 5 users

I feel like the opposite would make more sense, atleast to me. I've always had roommates/housemates throughout college and currently in my gap year so I am very used to that type of setting and dealing with all kinds of folks. In some respects, I think it might be beneficial to have it for M1. I'll probably try to get 1-2 roommates for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment/house to keep the cost as low as possible for whatever area I end up in. That being said, I've never had a roommate that was doing the same thing as me (like major/field of study, etc) so it will probably be somewhat new for me to have a roommate(s) that will also be in every single one of my classes and have very similar interests (medicine).

Then after M1, I'll probs just figure out if its still cool and worth it. If not, I'll just find my own place (probably help when it comes time for STEP 1 lol).

The real question is, how the hell do I find the perfect roommate(s) for medical school? Don't wanna deal with a hyper-gunner type of person but also don't wanna deal with someone that is going out 4-5 nights a week (yes those are both extremes but certainly possible).

Yeah I have acceptance that I am debating on in DC area, Alaska and New Orleans. My gf lives in Mississippi and will be doing my masters there, outside of New Orleans it’s going to be long distance for the next four years

Yeah I have acceptance that I am debating on in DC area, Alaska and New Orleans. My gf lives in Mississippi and will be doing my masters there, outside of New Orleans it’s going to be long distance for the next four years
I didn’t even know there was a Med school in Alaska. My furthest option (only acceptance) is still only a 7 hour drive. He’s trying to move with me after the first year and hopefully try to find a time to get married before residency.

That’s a really tough decision :/ Do you like the school in New Orleans? Or would you prefer one of the others over that school?

Members don't see this ad :)
all 3 schools are good schools. between u of washington. tulane and USUHS there isn't really a bad choice for different reasons

How long do you guys think it's worth staying on wait lists for? I'm thinking until early to mid June then maybe just withdrawing at that point? Would be nice to know exactly where I'm going by then to be able to move in by early July.

HA, we're doing the exact opposite...moving 3 (hopefully 4!) kids, the dog, and the husband almost 1,000 miles away from home for the foreseeable future. I will say however that based on where we live now, school districts and crime and stuff, the place we're going is a huge upgrade, so no one is mad about it. :)

Reactions: 3 users
How long do you guys think it's worth staying on wait lists for? I'm thinking until early to mid June then maybe just withdrawing at that point? Would be nice to know exactly where I'm going by then to be able to move in by early July.

I'm waiting until the last possible day until I have to commit to my acceptance, July 9th, and will then withdraw. I checked in the older school-specific posts and saw that one of my WLs is usually done by early June and the other goes all the way to August... but by July I'll want to have a solid plan so will withdraw by then.

I relate to you, and really would rather withdraw sooner. But then again there's always the chance you'll wonder what would have happened if you didn't withdraw.

I relate to you, and really would rather withdraw sooner. But then again there's always the chance you'll wonder what would have happened if you didn't withdraw.

I withdrew from a waitlist. Part of it was because I have an acceptance at a school I like more, so even if I got off the waitlist I still wouldn’t go. And a small part of it is because I don’t want to go to a school where I’m second string if I have a school that wanted me straight up lol. I know that’s super petty haha.

Reactions: 5 users
I withdrew from a waitlist. Part of it was because I have an acceptance at a school I like more, so even if I got off the waitlist I still wouldn’t go. And a small part of it is because I don’t want to go to a school where I’m second string if I have a school that wanted me straight up lol. I know that’s super petty haha.

Same with me. That said, I was incredibly fortunate enough to get accepted to my top choice, so I felt little need to hold onto my waitlist spots. But I'm also the type to prefer to plan things out months in advance and thus hate the uncertainty that comes with the waitlist, so that prob also impacted my decision, haha.

Okay real life, I wondered if other people felt the same way. I have absolutely felt this, and I probably give those feelings more credit than they're due, haha.

Okay real life, I wondered if other people felt the same way. I have absolutely felt this, and I probably give those feelings more credit than they're due, haha.
I feel this but at the same time, Ill just work hard and prove they should have outright accepted me. One of my top schools was my first interview and the first is always rough (it was back in august) so Im planning on showing them how valuable I am to the class.

Reactions: 6 users

I feel this but at the same time, Ill just work hard and prove they should have outright accepted me. One of my top schools was my first interview and the first is always rough (it was back in august) so Im planning on showing them how valuable I am to the class.
It's funny because when I talk to other people on the waitlist, I tell them that just because you're on the waitlist doesn't mean you aren't qualified. It means they want you but also want other people and only have so many spots to offer. So even a waitlist acceptance should be looked at as being wanted by the school.

It's funny because when I talk to other people on the waitlist, I tell them that just because you're on the waitlist doesn't mean you aren't qualified. It means they want you but also want other people and only have so many spots to offer. So even a waitlist acceptance should be looked at as being wanted by the school.
And I’m convinced some of my waitlists have been because I didn’t fit the profile they wanted (state schools very primary care focused and I like the academia and teaching/research route). It could just be that someone was a 10/10 match for them and you were like 9.5/10. I would argue that everyone they interview is at least a 8/10 in term of fit so even deciding who gets the WL is like splitting hairs at some points.

Reactions: 4 users
And I’m convinced some of my waitlists have been because I didn’t fit the profile they wanted (state schools very primary care focused and I like the academia and teaching/research route). It could just be that someone was a 10/10 match for them and you were like 9.5/10. I would argue that everyone they interview is at least a 8/10 in term of fit so even deciding who gets the WL is like splitting hairs at some points.

I know for a fact one of my WLs was because of their local mission and my military status. Definitely happens.

Just withdrew down to holding 1 acceptance. It's real!

I haven't narrowed down anything yet except for 3 waitlists that i wouldn't attend over any of my acceptances :confused:. I gave up on even trying to narrow them down more at this point until the schools send financial aid... I really wish they'd hurry that process up a bit.

I haven't narrowed down anything yet except for 3 waitlists that i wouldn't attend over any of my acceptances :confused:. I gave up on even trying to narrow them down more at this point until the schools send financial aid... I really wish they'd hurry that process up a bit.

Yeah. Schools are releasing their financials pretty late it seems. My number 1 has really obvious financials that stay the same every year haha.

Go you!! I'm scared to do the same, lol. Gonna sleep on it a little more.
Well I had a number one going in, and I was blessed enough to get into that school. I did fall in love with one other school during interviews, but some financial news helped me make the decision I was already making anyway.

Well I had a number one going in, and I was blessed enough to get into that school. I did fall in love with one other school during interviews, but some financial news helped me make the decision I was already making anyway.

Makes sense. I would prefer both of my WL over my acceptances, but I know I need to choose seriously by 4/30 in case I do go to one of my current accepts. Kinda don't want to decide anything until May, but have to.

Makes sense. I would prefer both of my WL over my acceptances, but I know I need to choose seriously by 4/30 in case I do go to one of my current accepts. Kinda don't want to decide anything until May, but have to.

Yeah. That’s hard, but I think for a moment you need to say okay I’m not getting into my two top choices. Which of these schools would I want to go to the most now? Then obviously if (when!) you get into the top school, there you go!

Yeah it seems financial aid has been coming out later than usual this cycle based on old SDN posts.

This is where I'm at - I'm on 3 WL all of which I would choose over my 2 A's and I can't bring myself to decide between the two

This is where I'm at - I'm on 3 WL all of which I would choose over my 2 A's and I can't bring myself to decide between the two

Yup. I feel like a jerk even sharing the way I feel because I know these are great problems to have. My anxiousness is less about the school choices and more about the uncertainty. Especially with the different start dates.

Yup. I feel like a jerk even sharing the way I feel because I know these are great problems to have. My anxiousness is less about the school choices and more about the uncertainty. Especially with the different start dates.
Yeah the uncertainty can be just as bad when you have As.

Just withdrew down to holding 1 acceptance. It's real!
I have the "withdrawing my app" email drafted to one of my WL schools, but I haven't been able to get myself to send it because of an unfounded fear that something might fall through with my current acceptance. Other than failed drug tests or sketch background check findings (neither of which are plausible issues in my case), would there be any legitimate reason why I should be concerned about an acceptance falling through? I'd love to withdraw from this WL, but there's something comforting about having the backup option in case stuff hits the fan (not anticipating that it will).

I have the "withdrawing my app" email drafted to one of my WL schools, but I haven't been able to get myself to send it because of an unfounded fear that something might fall through with my current acceptance. Other than failed drug tests or sketch background check findings (neither of which are plausible issues in my case), would there be any legitimate reason why I should be concerned about an acceptance falling through? I'd love to withdraw from this WL, but there's something comforting about having the backup option in case stuff hits the fan (not anticipating that it will).

Well you don’t have to withdraw from waitlists you know, unless your acceptance requires you to by a certain date. You can wait until everything is confirmed with your acceptance. Most schools let you hang onto WLs per the AAMC guidelines.

Well you don’t have to withdraw from waitlists you know, unless your acceptance requires you to by a certain date. You can wait until everything is confirmed with your acceptance. Most schools let you hang onto WLs per the AAMC guidelines.
I suppose I should wait until everything is good to go with my acceptance. Thanks!

I suppose I should wait until everything is good to go with my acceptance. Thanks!

I mean I withdrew from my waitlists because I knew I wouldn’t go there over my acceptances, but I waited to go down to one until I knew I was solid. You just don’t have to drop your WLs if it would make you feel better.

Some schools are releasing financial aid in MAY. How does that help us??? :')

Excited to finally be committed to a school! I was holding out for a waitlist, was accepted off that waitlist, but ultimately decided against it. Feels so good for the uncertainty to be over.

Finally decided where I’m going. Finally feel the big relief.
Excited to finally be committed to a school! I was holding out for a waitlist, was accepted off that waitlist, but ultimately decided against it. Feels so good for the uncertainty to be over.

Yeah not gonna lie, selecting the CTE for my school was exciting.

Finally decided where I’m going. Finally feel the big relief.

SAME. The relief is overwhelming. No weight on my shoulders anymore AT ALL. Such a great feeling to know for certain!!

Yeah not gonna lie, selecting the CTE for my school was exciting.

Mannnnnn, I can't wait. The feeling is going to be better than _____ without a doubt. I've been refreshing my app all day hoping I can pick CTE today. May have to wait one business day. I withdrew from two schools today and were removed from the app within minutes though.

I found out a couple days ago that I was selected for Air Force HPSP! All I have left to do is pass the background check, which I don’t anticipate being an issue. I’m beyond thrilled, there was a moment where it didn’t look like I’d clear medical and it made me realize how much I really wanted it.