*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tessellations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the 2017-2018 cycle is approaching so soon! That means we're next after then, so I figured I'd finally start a thread for those of us applying in the 2018-2019 cycle. This is particularly crazy for me since I'll be graduating in 2018!

How are all of you guys feeling?

@Matthew9Thirtyfive

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Woo hoo! I looked on the class of 2022 thread with envy for the longest time. I found a 2023 thread that was closed after one post because it was too early. Glad we can finally have our own.

I'm super excited. I already graduated from college with my degree, and I'm actually applying this cycle for a special med program through the Navy. Results should be out any day now. It's a 2+4 program, but I'm allowed to apply to civilian schools so I'll be going through this with you guys! Although TBH, I'm probably just going to go to USUHS if I'm accepted to this program. I'd just like the option to go civilian if I want.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
saving my spot on the first page with this comic (probably posted this before but it's awesome so posting it again)

20110925.gif

Reactions: 7 users
saving my spot on the first page with this comic (probably posted this before but it's awesome so posting it again)

20110925.gif

Woah lawpwer I thought u were applying this cycle??

I'm pretty much set on taking a gap year and applying at the end of senior year so I'll be joining you all.

Still haha to tell my parents lol

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe we're now a year out from applying! Absolutely crazy. I feel like there's still so much for me to do (like take the MCAT in August among other things). Time just keeps flying by so fast.

Class of 2025 anyone? Start us off?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our time is fast approaching! Has anyone taken the MCAT in 2018 yet??

It feels like just yesterday that I was a lost freshman and now in 3 months I'll be a lost and completely broke senior. Actually I'm already broke so I guess the only change is I'll be a senior. Yay for medical school applications :highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
I’m taking the MCAT July 7 but submitting my primary on the first day. One shot that I can’t mess up. :idea:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm taking it May 24th, hopefully it works out good, I'm submitting as early as possible to a throw away school.

I'm taking it May 24th, hopefully it works out good, I'm submitting as early as possible to a throw away school.

You’ll be fine. The obsession with being early is too much. Yes, you want to be early, but late in reality is not the same as late on SDN.

I’m taking it May 19. I’m a little nervous bc if I mess it up I don’t know if taking it again in July will throw me off for the cycle. That’s why I’m going in with the mindset that retaking is NOT an option, lol!

I’m taking my first full length exam tomorrow (Kaplan). Any advice is appreciated!

I’m taking it May 19. I’m a little nervous bc if I mess it up I don’t know if taking it again in July will throw me off for the cycle. That’s why I’m going in with the mindset that retaking is NOT an option, lol!

I’m taking my first full length exam tomorrow (Kaplan). Any advice is appreciated!

Don't let the Kaplan exams discourage you because I found their scores to be deflated! Overall Kaplan and Princeton exams I didn't like too much but they're definitely still good practice for sitting through the full length of the test and reading passages/answering questions.

Try to emulate full testing conditions and take all your breaks. Eat a lunch at the half way point that you'd expect to take with you to the exam. Make it so routine that you're just ready for it when exam day comes around.

Also make sure to take the time and review your exam after taking it (not right away, but over the next day/week).

Nope. It won’t. I know people who took it in July, weren’t happy and retook it in August, and it didn’t hurt them.

Don't let the Kaplan exams discourage you because I found their scores to be deflated! Overall Kaplan and Princeton exams I didn't like too much but they're definitely still good practice for sitting through the full length of the test and reading passages/answering questions.

Try to emulate full testing conditions and take all your breaks. Eat a lunch at the half way point that you'd expect to take with you to the exam. Make it so routine that you're just ready for it when exam day comes around.

Also make sure to take the time and review your exam after taking it (not right away, but over the next day/week).
Good to know about the deflated scores! I have heard about that. When do you think I should take the first AAMC fl? I was planning on doing 2 Kaplan, then 1 NextStep, then start the AAMCs, but I wasn’t sure how far out I should begin them since theyre the most accurate in terms of score prediction.

Good to know about the deflated scores! I have heard about that. When do you think I should take the first AAMC fl? I was planning on doing 2 Kaplan, then 1 NextStep, then start the AAMCs, but I wasn’t sure how far out I should begin them since theyre the most accurate in terms of score prediction.

So I had 3 aamc exams and I did them the last 3 weeks up toy exam. So 3 weeks out I did exam 1, 2 weeks out I did exam 2, and 1 week out I did the sample exam with no score (to avoid psyching myself out for the real thing since it's unscored). Take those full weeks after the exam to review the exams throughly and any content you're still weak on (you should make note cards on the questions you get wrong due to holes in your content review).

Are you considered class of 2023 if you get in year of 2019 even if it takes you 5 years to graduate?

LOL!! y'all foreal started this thread last year! Before last cycle's apps were even open. Props.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you considered class of 2023 if you get in year of 2019 even if it takes you 5 years to graduate?

I mean, when you graduate you will graduate with the class of 2024, right? Are you doing a combined program?

LOL!! y'all foreal started this thread last year! Before last cycle's apps were even open. Props.

We don't **** around.

I mean, when you graduate you will graduate with the class of 2024, right? Are you doing a combined program?

We don't **** around.

When are you applying btw? This cycle? I believe ur doing the military into MD kinda thing? I almost went that route, but now i feel its too late :/

We don't **** around.

Nope I have not applied yet, I just know a lot of people do research years or get extra degree or something like that so wondered how that worked in terms of the class you'd be considered a part of.

These next 6 weeks consist of filling out AMCAS, taking my MCAT, and finishing my semester of ochem, physics, and physiology strong. HERE GOES NOTHING.

When are you applying btw? This cycle? I believe ur doing the military into MD kinda thing? I almost went that route, but now i feel its too late :/

I’m applying this upcoming cycle with everyone in this thread. I’m in a linked program through USUHS, but we still apply through amcas and are allowed to apply to other schools. The program is only for active duty enlisted folks.

Nope I have not applied yet, I just know a lot of people do research years or get extra degree or something like that so wondered how that worked in terms of the class you'd be considered a part of.

Oh okay. Well you’d be class of 2023 until you took a research year or something, at which point you’d join the class of 2024 when you returned.

These next 6 weeks consist of filling out AMCAS, taking my MCAT, and finishing my semester of ochem, physics, and physiology strong. HERE GOES NOTHING.

My phone has a countdown app on it.

20 days until amcas opens
49 days until we can submit
79 days until my MCAT

Plus I have to finish this semester and then take ochem in the summer. Giddy-up.

79 days until my MCAT

Plus I have to finish this semester and then take ochem in the summer. Giddy-up.

This implies that ur submitting ur mcat a little more than a month into application cycle. Also, you're studying for the MCAT and taking ochem simultaneously o_O

This implies that ur submitting ur mcat a little more than a month into application cycle. Also, you're studying for the MCAT and taking ochem simultaneously o_O

A. Taking the MCAT in June is not even remotely late. That's an SDN myth.
B. Half of last year's cohort took their MCAT in August and still had acceptances Oct 16 (the 15th was a Sunday).
C. Yep! We get to study for the MCAT while taking ochem. Hurray. That's the only class we're taking at the time though.

79 days until my MCAT

We all in this together! Hahaha best of luck with ochem! (ps, its really not that bad—you’ll be just fine!)

Side note (I know this is the MD thread)—when does AACOMAS open and when does it open for submission?

We all in this together! Hahaha best of luck with ochem! (ps, its really not that bad—you’ll be just fine!)

Yeah, I'm not worried. I actually thought I really hated chemistry, but it turns out I really just hate acid/base chemistry. Everything else is fun.

Yeah, I'm not worried. I actually thought I really hated chemistry, but it turns out I really just hate acid/base chemistry. Everything else is fun.
I switched my major to chem after ochem I. I agree, its so fun... glad I’m not the only nerd who thinks so.

I'll be applying with you guys this June, heres hoping we make the cut!

One SMP degree later and I'm finally applying. Fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone!

sup y'all applying MD/PhD but I'm going to pretend I'm CO 2023 anyways lol

You can stick with us until you go off to do your phud thing.

One SMP degree later and I'm finally applying. Fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone!

Welcome! There’s safety in numbers.