Official: BU MAMS - Entering Fall 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PatSanDiego said:
Hey everyone,

I was recently accepted to MAMS. If anyone is looking for a roommate to fill an empty room, please let me know. I look forward to seeing you all in September.

Hi, I just found out today that I got in to the program, is anyone still looking for housing? PM me if you are :)

Members don't see this ad.

biztomedindc said:
Hi, I just found out today that I got in to the program, is anyone still looking for housing? PM me if you are :)

out of curiosity, did you get in off the wait-list or were you just accepted? appreciate any extra info...thanks!

dranonymous said:
out of curiosity, did you get in off the wait-list or were you just accepted? appreciate any extra info...thanks!

I applied by the end of June, all my apps materials were complete by July 1st. I was never on the waitlist and just got an email with an acceptance on Tuesday, 8/1.

Here are my stats: Undergrad over GPA 3.3, science GPA 3.0, Grad (healthcare management) GPA: 3.8 MCAT 25, GMAT 690, Work experience in Business Consulting: 4.5 years.

Hope that helps, if you want to reach me, send me your email or PM me. Good luck!!

Sherry

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that doesn't have a place to live yet, I am looking for 2 more people for a 3 bed near the main campus- off saint paul st and comm ave (trust me, this is the best place to live- easy BU shuttle to med, close to fitrec center, nice area) Most are going for 2100-2200 a mo., 730ish a person isnt horrible, especially for the area.. Just throwin this out there, trying to find a last minute place to live before school. PM me or send me an eamil if any of you are still looking,
[email protected]

has anyone heard anything new??

Hey guys, just wanted to say hi and that I'm excited in meeting you all in a few weeks. Is anybody else living in Harrison Court? Send me a PM, I'm interested in making a study group of people that live there. That way we can all roll in a pack (I don't know how safe the city is). Here's a few questions to anybody who knows the answers to:

1. I'm enrolled in Physio A and Biochem. I want to enroll in Biostats or Pharmacology but I don't know how or when I can do it? And somebody was saying about how we can move our research credits to the summer, but I have no idea how to do that either. If this all gets sorted out during orientation it would be great to know now so I don't have to worry about it.

2. Also, anybody know any good volunteer opportunities? I'd like to do something once a week and the Outreach Van Project sounds pretty interesting. Anybody been involved in that?

HouseIsMyHero said:
1. I'm enrolled in Physio A and Biochem. I want to enroll in Biostats or Pharmacology but I don't know how or when I can do it? And somebody was saying about how we can move our research credits to the summer, but I have no idea how to do that either. If this all gets sorted out during orientation it would be great to know now so I don't have to worry about it.

You will get a chance during orientation to sit down with your advisor and craft your schedule to your whims and wishes.

:D

Just curious, do a lot of people use laptops to take notes during class?
I know my handwriting is atrocious and I can barely understand what I'm writing half the time. I'm also a very fast typer so... I'm not sure if a lot of people do that or not, and is it recommended? Thanks :D

djyujin said:
Just curious, do a lot of people use laptops to take notes during class?
I know my handwriting is atrocious and I can barely understand what I'm writing half the time. I'm also a very fast typer so... I'm not sure if a lot of people do that or not, and is it recommended? Thanks :D

Some people do, some people don't, but it's most definitely not unusual.

You'll just have to find out what works for you. Some people take notes on their laptop, some people take notes in a notebook, some people print out the ppt's and then take notes on there. So whatever floats your boat, it's your grade that matters. If you learn best by standing on your head in a speedo, by all means go and ahead and do it...(on your own time at home!)

ekkk! :) i was accepted to BU recently!!!!! i'm really excited--but at the same time....very scared!!! after reading very post about BU--i'm scared. how difficult is the curriculum. It seems to me that there are several classes that only 15-20 get As in. Are there even any easier classes that boost your GPA? I am planning to take my MCAT in January--so i want to take it a little lighter this fall...suggestions? thanks :)

shareesh said:
ekkk! :) i was accepted to BU recently!!!!! i'm really excited--but at the same time....very scared!!! after reading very post about BU--i'm scared. how difficult is the curriculum. It seems to me that there are several classes that only 15-20 get As in. Are there even any easier classes that boost your GPA? I am planning to take my MCAT in January--so i want to take it a little lighter this fall...suggestions? thanks :)

nope, no way to make it easier. It is a lot of work. and honestly, 15-20 As is probably a little high for a class like histo, it is probably about right for biochem and physio. everyone should get an A in Endo, biostats, and pharm (if you take it). They will probably recommend that you dont retake your MCATs in Jan. If you are shooting for applying next summer, it is better to wait and take the test in april or in the summer becuase u will be much more prepared for the BioSci section after taking all the GMS classes.

the only way to spread out the courseload is to separate histology and biochem. That would put you in the Biochem-physio A track for the first semester with histo-physio B second semester. The other track (biochem-histology) is more work during the first semester. Either way, it is not that the work is hard-because it is not- there is just a lot of material that you have to know.

stupid question, but what is Endo exactly?
and when is it offered?

Members don't see this ad :)
djyujin said:
stupid question, but what is Endo exactly?
and when is it offered?

Endo= endocrinology. it is a second semester class (you register for it @end of 1st semester) that meets from may->mid june. It starts after the other second semester classes are finished. There are a few quizes and only one exam, but the class is generally pretty easy. It extends pretty well from what you will have just finished in physiology.

Just heard back from BU, I'll be taking Biochem and Physio A in the fall.

Are these classes taught the same as on the college level? It seems like a lot of us will have taken both classes, if we were premeds in college... :confused:

Anyway, I have a ton of more questions, but I'm just going to wait another two weeks or two and harrass my advisor... see you all then.

I heard conflicting things about Pharm, some ppl say not to take it, others like bat say its an easy A, what's up with this disparity?

djyujin said:
I heard conflicting things about Pharm, some ppl say not to take it, others like bat say its an easy A, what's up with this disparity?

No idea. It is easy. About as easy as endo and biostats. And Dr Walsh is great for recommendations and is willing to be a thesis advisor for pretty much anyone. If you are taking physioA/Biochem first semester, Pharm is a great pickup as your 3rd class. (Take thesis credits for the rest). Spring will likely be histo/physioB/Endo/biostats. (although endo starts after everyhting else finishes).

do the classes ever fill up...sort of like undergrad...where you then have to register for another class?

Also, what are some other options (just for curiosity) that other students take as opposed to Pharm or Endo?

Lastly, on average...does a med student only take three classes per semester like us...or do they have more classes?

Thanks for all the help.

This isn't in reply to any particular post but is a new question.

Have any of you who have been accepted or waitlisted to the BU MAMS program earned your BA or BS from BU? If so, in what did you major?

Thanks for any replies.

--Cymy

Even though Endo starts after all your classes end, does it still count as being under spirng semester?

djyujin said:
Even though Endo starts after all your classes end, does it still count as being under spirng semester?

Endo and Immuno are spring semester classes.

choweee said:
Just heard back from BU, I'll be taking Biochem and Physio A in the fall.

Are these classes taught the same as on the college level? It seems like a lot of us will have taken both classes, if we were premeds in college... :confused:

Anyway, I have a ton of more questions, but I'm just going to wait another two weeks or two and harrass my advisor... see you all then.

Please do not use college as indicator of the work that will be required of you in your classes at BU. Will having had those classes be an excelent foundation for the courses, indeed. Will having taken those classes guarantee you an easy A, most definitely not. It will be a lot of work no matter what. Fall Histo and Spring Physio, Endo and Immuno are with the med students and as such are taught as the med school level. Fall Biochem (which the med students take in the spring) while not with the med students; the professors don't change their level of teaching.

You are no longer in college, this is not your fifth year of college. This is your first year of medical school, and if you approach it as such it will make your stay at BU much more pleasant.

etikit said:
do the classes ever fill up...sort of like undergrad...where you then have to register for another class?

Also, what are some other options (just for curiosity) that other students take as opposed to Pharm or Endo?

Lastly, on average...does a med student only take three classes per semester like us...or do they have more classes?

Thanks for all the help.

1) not really. you shouldnt have a problem.

2)you will get them at orientation. intro to pathology is another option (sucks pretty bad..memorizing like histo but for half the credits), there are tons of different classes, but stay within the med school stuff.. i took a cancer bio class, but dropped it after day one and went with pharm, it was obvious that it is designed for PhD and MS students-- i.e. tons of work for only a 2 Credit class- and nearly impossible to get an A... that is useless for the MA program...

3)MED is different. For the MA program, you take a combination of MED and GMS classes (histo=med, biostats=gms). MED takes Histo/Anatomy/Integreated problems/intro to clinical med/human behavior in medicine first semester.-- while MAMS might take physA/Biochem/Pharm OR Histo/Biochem/biostats, etc.

(The first semester biochem is GMS only -no med students- as is the two part physio (A+B) and second semester Histo) The only classes in common between GMS and MED for the most part are Histo, Biochem, Physio, Endo, Immuno.

how is immuno? you all said endo isn't bad right?

etikit said:
how is immuno? you all said endo isn't bad right?

Does anybody know that the Statistic of BU MED

I'm headed out to Boston soon! All the BU-MAMS'ers should get together for a beer or something, I'm curious if you guys are all as neurotic about going to med school as I am. :D

djyujin said:
I'm headed out to Boston soon! All the BU-MAMS'ers should get together for a beer or something, I'm curious if you guys are all as neurotic about going to med school as I am. :D

I agree about the beer or 3 :D
But i was just wondering where is everyone mostly living??? around campus or other parts.....thanks just wanted to know some common areas before i start lookin....

Hi,
I was wondering if you any of you guys have heard anything about "basic neuroscience" -- it's a 2 unit elective class. do you know anything about its difficulty? as well as psychopathology?

also...i just recieved the orientation packet and it says I'm registered for 6 units GMS 971--rel med sci. is that research?

thanks!

Hi Everyone,
I was a last minute admit into the program and haven't received my orientation packet. I called Michelle Hall this morning and unfortunately she can only snail mail the information out to me. I live in California and am flying out to Boston on Saturday and won't be able to get it. And for some weird reason according to ms. hall she can't hold on to it for me so that I can pick it up. So I was wondering if one of you would be willing to send me the information thats in the packet to my email( [email protected] ). Scanning would be even better! It just sucks bc as of right now all i know is that orientation is on the 31st and 1st. I dont even know where or what time. So if one of you could send me that info I'd totally appreciate it!

Thanks!~
Shetal

worst case scenario is you could go to the GMS office and just ask them to give you all the information...I'm sure it would not be a big deal.

waterlivergirl said:
I agree about the beer or 3 :D
But i was just wondering where is everyone mostly living??? around campus or other parts.....thanks just wanted to know some common areas before i start lookin....

I'm about a block away from the prudential center, off of St. Botolph. Anyone else around there?

boylston st. in fenway

I'm on Clearway St. a block and a half up from Huntington on Mass. Ave... I was actually there the past few days setting my apt. up. I've been gettin some Boston bar time in with my friends from Jersey while I still have time. When is everyone moving in?

PS - How bout them Yankees!!!!! 5-0 sweeeeeeeeep

osin83 said:
I'm on Clearway St. a block and a half up from Huntington on Mass. Ave... I was actually there the past few days setting my apt. up. I've been gettin some Boston bar time in with my friends from Jersey while I still have time. PS - How bout them Yankees!!!!! 5-0 sweeeeeeeeep

You really ought to have gone to UMDNJ...

On Comm. Ave and Washington St near the Undergrad Campus.

shareesh said:
Hi,
I was wondering if you any of you guys have heard anything about "basic neuroscience" -- it's a 2 unit elective class. do you know anything about its difficulty? as well as psychopathology?

also...i just recieved the orientation packet and it says I'm registered for 6 units GMS 971--rel med sci. is that research?

thanks!

insiders tip: "the molecular basis of neurologic disease" is an excellent 2-credit course. You just have to do a 10-minute presentation on a neurologic disease and there is a take-home final. So yeah....it sounds tough...but ummm...if you spend a modicum of time you should get an A.

GMS will sign you up for some credits in order to fill up your credit numbers for the computers.....during orientation you will work with your advisor to figure out what's best for you

Endo and Immuno require work, but they are not difficult. However, Immuno can be "tough" because you can only miss 4 questions in the class in order to get an A. With that caveat, a lot of kids still get an A- or an A.

Anybody know anything about any of the nutrition classes at BU or the nutrition concentration? Has anyone pursued this or know someone else in the program who has? What are the classes liek in terms of content and difficulty (specifically the intro to nutrition class).

thanks.

is anyone else going in as a non-degree student? I just got my packet in the mail and am a little confused by some of it.

Shetal

Hello new GMSers,

I just finished the program, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying some furniture from me before I go back home. I have a gorgeous bed, and a very sturdy study desk that I bought when I joined the program last September (less than a year old).

The bed is a full size, with box spring, bed rails, mattress, headboard, and footboard included. The desk has ample storage space, and served me well through those long nights of studying!

If anyone is interested let me know, I am selling them for $350, but the price is negotiable. You can pick them up whenever you like

Good luck in the program :)

How long did the program take you...what did you write your thesis on? Oh yeah...where do you live (for the furniture?)

etikit said:
How long did the program take you...what did you write your thesis on? Oh yeah...where do you live (for the furniture?)

I finished the coursework in one year, and finished my research this summer. I will be writing up my paper, and hope to turn it in by December.

I live downtown, near government center, its about 5-10 minutes away from the south end and back bay, which I'm guessing you probably live.

Let me know if you have any other questions

what sort of research did you get into. congrats by the way.

Thanks :) I chose to do research in the public health field.

Can someone tell me if BU MAMS admission is rolling basis or not?

Do they start reviewing your file as soon as they received all the materials? Or do they hold it until they receive all the applications from all other applicants and reply all at once?

they start reviewing it as soon as it is complete.

pretty psyched to start school! anybody else psyched as i am? :D