Official: BU MAMS - Entering Fall 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the consensus for loans to cover the difference btwn. the 18.5K we get from subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans, and the rest we are going to need in order to pay tuition and expenses?

I know some of the options are grad plus loans, citi assist, and many other private lenders. Has anyone compared these and found the best loan? Which ones have you all used in the past and why did you choose that one?

Also, how much are you going to take out for private loans(or have taken out)?

Still learning and researching the fin. aid options...there's a lot out there.

Members don't see this ad.

I used Citiassist

anyone know if it's possible to matriculate into a medical school if you choose to finish the MAMS program in one year? I'm under the impression that you need to spend 4 terms (or pay for it, anyways) at Boston U., whether it's 2x spring and fall semesters, or by paying 2k for continuing education fees for the two summer terms and finishing everything in a year. The question is, seeing as how you're obligated to spend the summer with the BU program, does that interfere with starting medical school on time in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
River Rat said:
anyone know if it's possible to matriculate into a medical school if you choose to finish the MAMS program in one year? I'm under the impression that you need to spend 4 terms (or pay for it, anyways) at Boston U., whether it's 2x spring and fall semesters, or by paying 2k for continuing education fees for the two summer terms and finishing everything in a year. The question is, seeing as how you're obligated to spend the summer with the BU program, does that interfere with starting medical school on time in any way?

Nope, you will finish class mid-June (this is when BU's first yrs finish up and u will too).
Then you can go home, drop a check in the mail and hang out until med school starts in August. (This is, of course, if you are matriculating immediately.)

I recently got accepted into the MAMS program at BU. So far I have the option of getting my masters at BU or getting a pre-professional masters in biology of IUPUI. Can anyone give me any pros to picking BU over IUPUI. I am leaning towards Boston, but I have no idea where to live.
I read through some of the posts and I don't see a lot of those listings when I have been searching for apartments. I don't know the Boston area and I want to live preferably in a studio near other students. It sounds like you don't need a car in Boston, true? Thanks!!! :oops:

Hey everyone,

I am going into the MAMS program in the fall...or maybe July 3rd for the summer histology class. I'm going up to Boston next weekend to look at apartments and I'm wondering if any you are looking for a roommate. I am pretty laid back, clean, and not too picky about where the apt is but I do have a tiny dog that has to come with me (He's great, I promise).

Also, I know I've read some bad reviews about this summer histology class, but I think I'm going to brave it. Is anyone else going to go ahead and take it this summer? It would be perfect to find a roomie to move in with before that class starts.

Thanks!

I am debating about having a roomate or not. I'm pretty laid back and I am totally respectful of a persons need for privacy as I know I need mine. Unfortunatly I am allergic to dogs and cats. But I would like to live in a nice area with a lot of other students and it would probably be more affordable to live with another person. So if anyone needs a roomate let me know.

i started a thread for just housing issues in Boston, because there seems to be a growing number of people looking for roomates and apartments. I think it would be easier if everyone were posting in the same thread, without other issues to distract.

I'm kinda new to this. How do you view the new threads? I feel like an idiot...but my brains a little fried, molecular and econ finals today and making living arrangments for next year. A lot on my mind :eek:

aym4 said:
I'm kinda new to this. How do you view the new threads? I feel like an idiot...but my brains a little fried, molecular and econ finals today and making living arrangments for next year. A lot on my mind :eek:

new to what? the internet?

Has anyone received any info/lit/anything from BU lately? After getting the initial acceptance packet, fin aid info, and the summer histo information I haven't received anything.

Anyone know when we will get info on classes, setting up our email accounts, etc?

thanks.

BertieWooster said:
Has anyone received any info/lit/anything from BU lately? After getting the initial acceptance packet, fin aid info, and the summer histo information I haven't received anything.

Anyone know when we will get info on classes, setting up our email accounts, etc?

thanks.

I was in the Graduate Medical Sciences Office last week discussing some financial aid info with Sherill Ashe and she said that we should be recieving a big packet full of info. This info will include our class schedule, setting up our bu email account, and etc. She said that we should be recieving it in a couple of weeks.

she told me the same, also said our class consists of a lot of Cali students? I thought that was odd...but cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
could i get sherille's email/number? i changed addresses for the summer, so i need to get in touch with her i guess... would be greatly appreciated! :D

etikit said:
she told me the same, also said our class consists of a lot of Cali students? I thought that was odd...but cool.

Happens every year. There is always a ton of Cali kids.

So are most people planning on applying to med school after the first year at BU MAMS?

I'm actually applying now. I'm not a reapplicant. This will be my first time applying to medschool. I'm currently studying to take the August MCAT. Hopefully my scores will rock! I really wanna avoid sitting out a year. So I plan to complete the MAMS program in a year, apply now and get into med school Fall 2007.

SGMD1 said:
Can anyone tell me when classes start?

Your orientation should be thursday-friday before labor day with classes starting on the tuesday after labor day.

That's how it usually goes.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any current students had any advice on the optional concentrations (i.e. mental health, clinical invest., nutrition). Have any of you pursued a concentration? I was considering doing one, but I'm worried that the courses taken for the concentrations would not be the type of courses that med schools are looking for (i.e. doing well in them would not be as beneficial as taking other upper level science courses). Any thoughts?

Any other incoming students thinking about one of the concentrations?

I was thinking about doing a concentration, but I wasn't sure how that fit into the curriculum for the MAMS program....

On another note, does anybody know when or even if we enroll for the fall semester?

Hey guys, I was looking to find an email address for someone at BU that I can contact directly to ask a question about my application. Do any of you have that information? I'm a nerd and cannot find it on the program website.

Also, I had my MCAT scores faxed to the department there to get them there promptly, do I still need to have an official report sent? If you know the answer then I won't call the dept and bother them, thanx!!

djyujin said:
On another note, does anybody know when or even if we enroll for the fall semester?

They will register the core course work for us. Then during orientation we will meet with our advisor and register for electives and/or change anything in our schedule.

Hi everyone, I'm kind of confused with what to do for the financial aid stuff. Sherill Ashe said I needed to fill out the purple Federal loans processing request form. I'm doing that but how many credits did you put down for fall and for spring? For part E of that form, did you list your private loan? Then, does anyone know what is the max amount we can request in private loans? I asked Sherill but she didn't have an exact number for me (around 31-33,000). Finally, is anyone getting the graduate PLUS loan? I have been looking at CitiAssist's private loan and graduate PLUS loan. Which one do you think is better?

Thanks so much for your help. I just want to make sure I have enough money and know what I can afford for apts! :scared:

mars2213 said:
Hi everyone, I'm kind of confused with what to do for the financial aid stuff. Sherill Ashe said I needed to fill out the purple Federal loans processing request form. I'm doing that but how many credits did you put down for fall and for spring? For part E of that form, did you list your private loan? Then, does anyone know what is the max amount we can request in private loans? I asked Sherill but she didn't have an exact number for me (around 31-33,000). Finally, is anyone getting the graduate PLUS loan? I have been looking at CitiAssist's private loan and graduate PLUS loan. Which one do you think is better?

Thanks so much for your help. I just want to make sure I have enough money and know what I can afford for apts! :scared:

1. 16 credits is what Ms Ashe told me to put for both fall and spring semesters.

2. I didn't list a private loan because I don't have one yet. I also just wrote "up to the cost of attendance" or something like that for the amount of private loans.

3. The yellow page should have the cost of attendance for the 2006-07 academic year. Minus the $18500 for Stafford loans and you get the private loan amount that you will be certified for.

4. I have applied to the Grad PLUS loan through Bank of America. In my opinion, the federal loans are generally the best. Plus it is a fixed interest rate and can be deferred anytime you are enrolled part-time.

grad plus has origination fees, but is fixed. i got qualified with citi assist with no origination and prime +0, which is less than grad plus. but i think rates will be going up 1/2 percent in july...which will still keep me under grad plus 8.5, but who knows after that?? its all a crapshoot and a gamble....pretty much betting on the rate going up or down. if have a cosignor, the best rate possible with citi is prime-.5, which is about 1% lower than grad plus right now, plus no origination fee if you qualifiy.

im not sure what im going to do with that said. im leaning towards citi though and hoping rates stop rising.

I got my orientation packet in the mail the other day... looks like they have one of my classes as an open research spot for 4 credits... definitely gonna change that

Hey guys- i have a general question for you all and I feel like some other people might be in this same situation. I just graduated from UPenn with a 2.89 and a 28 on my MCAT, but a fairly solid set of extracurriculars (research assistant, hospital volunteer, fraternity president, etc..). I'm using the BU program to boost my GPA obviously, and I'm taking the MCAT again in August.

Would it make sense to apply to med schools this summer without having gone through the BU program yet? I really don't want to have to deal with that glide year if i apply later, but without a GPA from the BU program, i feel like I haven't really done anything to help my application yet. Do people normally apply the summer before they go into this BU program? That's what I'm planning on doing, but more and more I'm beginning to feel like it's pointless to do it right now.

Any thoughts?

I am going to wait until after, I am also studying for the August MCATS. I think the GPA, and upper level science courses will complement my current application well. I don't see the point in rushing anything...if anything, I will have a shot at getting into better medical schools after the program. Plus, the program directors recommend waiting until after. just my two cents.

osin83 said:
I got my orientation packet in the mail the other day... looks like they have one of my classes as an open research spot for 4 credits... definitely gonna change that

I'm going to change those research credits as well...did you get Physio A and Biochem, or the Fall Histo? I got Physio A and Biochem.

Also, for those that have gone through the program, what are some good filler classes from your experience?

I got physio A and Biochem....6 credits of biochem? Hmm...

In response to whether or not u should wait a year, I think it's best if you wait until after your first year at BU. I think you wanna make sure that when you apply to med school your first shot is your only shot...just by 2 cents tho.

I also recieved my Orientation and Class Registration Packet :) I was pre-registered in Biochem and Physio A. How many remaining credits should we register for during orientation and are there any good classes that anyone would want to recommend.

I got enrolled in biochem, physio A and that research thing. like jklasser17 posted a while back that is popular, I'm going to sign up for biostats and pharmacology, i checked the class schedules and that works out pretty well. Also, maybe having a few classmates go through histo first semester might be helpful.

is that research thing mandatory? how does that work?

FYI...we can get the Grad PLUS Loan ONLY through BUMC financial aid office. I spoke with Ms Ashe this morning and she said it would be about another month before she would have everything together to apply for the loan. She also stated that it may not be the best loan for her grad students, for reasons not given at this time.

So does anyone know anything about the TERI loan or any others that have not been discussed on this forum?

You do not want to change that research thing. Research (either lab or library based) is mandatory for graduation. You are allowed to register for a max of 18 credits (or near there) based on the fixed tuition they charge all MAMS students per semester, and you are allowed to 'bank' your research credits for use later on. So if you're registered for Biochem and Physio and Pharm, thats 14 credits. You can add the 4 credit research class now, but not use it until later (say next summer). That way you wont have to pay extra to take the class then. Similarly, in Spring, if you take Physio B, Path, Endo and Imuno, that would be around 14 credits as well. So you could add another research class for 4 credits and not use it until the summer or following Fall. That would save on tuition as you would only have to pay for the continuing education fee.

PS The Biochem class offered in Fall is identical to the Spring course taken by the med students. It is offered in Fall for GMS students only due to accommodation issues. It is a good class to take since its a med class and if you can memorize (ala Orgo) you should get a quasi-easy (nothing is ever that easy in med school, so this is relative to other classes) A.

Also, you should be aware that you can place out of the Biostats requirement. If you have ever taken any kind of statistics class--micro/macro--all you have to do is present your transcript to Michelle Hall, fill out a form and they will place you out of it. You really should try to get out of it if you can, since its pretty useless, wont help your cause with adcoms, and may prevent you from taking another, more useful class.

And for those of you contemplating the thought, taking Physio A, Histo and Biochem in the same semester is a *bad* idea. Those three are foundation classes in the program. You want to get A's in all of them, and taking them at once is going to be a massive burden, especially since it will be your first semester and there is a learning curve involved with adapting to med school. You should either take one semester med Physio in Spring, with Histo and Biochem in Fall; or, Physio A with Biochem in Fall, and Physio B with Histo in Spring.

junebug, what are some good classes to take to fill the hours? Pathology, Pharm, ...anything else? Which ones are easier than others (relative)? I may try and place out of biostats, so any help would be appreciated.

Here's what I think is an interesting question I'm sure asked before.

How many people apply to BU's MAMS program and how many people are accepted? ie. last year's numbers. If I'm trying to show med schools that I'm awesome I'd like some exclusiveness in the grad school I attend. I know that Georgetown this year had 850 applicants for 150 spots...

HouseIsMyHero said:
Here's what I think is an interesting question I'm sure asked before.

How many people apply to BU's MAMS program and how many people are accepted? ie. last year's numbers. If I'm trying to show med schools that I'm awesome I'd like some exclusiveness in the grad school I attend. I know that Georgetown this year had 850 applicants for 150 spots...

This is possibly the dumbest justification for wanting admissions stats I've ever heard. No one cares about the exclusivity of your graduate program. On the other hand, I am applying and would like to know how I can convince med schools that I, too, am awesome. So if you ever find the secret to becoming awesome, pass it along.

For those of you who have received your orientation packets already- have you all submitted your health crap already? I'm waiting for my old medical records to be transferred here before I can get a physical and I'm just wondering whether that's the reason I haven't received the orientation packet. Are the health forms required immediately to complete your registration into the program?

thanks junebuguf! a lot of helpful info.

quick question, so about that "research" thing
you don't have to officially take it the semester
your enrolled in it and can push it back to later?
sorry if this is a stupid question, just wanted some
clarification.

Its hard to guage difficulty. Only 11-12 people out of about 115 GMS students in medical physio got an A. Conversely, 25-30 got an A in Endo, and probably that many also got an A in Immuno. So you would think Endo and Immuno would be far easier. I did well in all three, but found Physio easier because it was more conceptual, while Endo and Immuno were straight memorization, which is harder for me. So it really depends. Along those lines, Biochem, Endo, Immuno, Pharm and Path (especially) are memorization classes, while Physio is more conceptual. Histo is evil because it has a mixture of both--a ton of memorization, with a large conceptual portion. I have not taken other classes offered by BUMC, but from my undergrad classes I would say Genetics is conceptual while any Neuro class is memorization.

You can push research back as far as you want, but you have to be enrolled at BUMC even if you are not taking classes. For example, if you take Fall and Spring classes and then decide to take the summer off before beginning research in the Fall, you have to fill out a form describing how you intend to spend your summer, and possibly have it approved by your advisor (only if you plan on taking two semesters off or something), and pay the continuing education fee. If you decide to take Fall off, you would do the same thing.

Some people pm'ed me about classes. As a general guide: Everyone has to take Biochem and Physio. I recommend one semester med Physio because I took it and liked it, its fast-paced, you can get it over with over 12 weeks and not have to worry about it all year since its a major requirement. Most everyone also takes Histo. Everyone registers for at least 3 (usually 6-8) research credits. And a lot of people place out of Biostats. Given these presumptions, you would likely take Biochem, Histo and 3 research credits in Fall and Physio and 3 research credits in Spring. Thats 15 credits in Fall and 9 in Spring. To fill the other 8, I would not recommend another course in Fall since Biochem and Histo are a lot of work and you want to do well in those two particularly. Instead, you may want to add an additional 3 credit research class to use later. That would bring you to 18 credits for Fall. In spring, everyone should take Endo and Immuno since they are med classes, in a separate block, and did I mention they are med classes and thats the point of this program? So if you substitute one research class to Fall and take Endo, Immuno and Physio that would leave you with 12 credits in Spring. You need to add one more class and 2 credit hours to meet their 8 class, 32 credit hour graduation requirement. There are a number of classes you can add in Spring for 2-3 credits. If you really want to, you can add Biostats, which is 2 credits and an easy A, or opt for something more challenging with the 4 credit Path class. Its really up to you. Since you dont have to decide for a while and and will have a better idea about BUMC and which subject areas you're interested in after Fall, I wouldnt worry about it yet.

junebuguf said:
This is possibly the dumbest justification for wanting admissions stats I've ever heard. No one cares about the exclusivity of your graduate program. On the other hand, I am applying and would like to know how I can convince med schools that I, too, am awesome. So if you ever find the secret to becoming awesome, pass it along.

dumb or genius...? think about it.

I was wondering the answer to the original question in terms of how many apply and how many get in...but apparently it's confidential information they hold on to tightly.

etikit said:
I was wondering the answer to the original question in terms of how many apply and how many get in...but apparently it's confidential information they hold on to tightly.

IMO, adcoms would probably put a helluva lot more weight on your performance once in the program than the selectivity.

osin83 said:

I was half-joking, but you know it's true. I don't see people willing to spend 50k on a no-name school and a lot of GMS students aren't going to D.O schools when their numbers make them highly competitive. Of course doing well in the school matters, no one is debating that. But prestige and exclusiveness are also important, especially for a program designed to get you into medical school.

Just a thought... didn't want to start an argument. It's just that you guys seem a little too idealistic for how adcoms think. If I am going to spend 50k for a useless degree, I want to make sure it gives me an advantage, and if I do well that's a big advantage. If the program is highly selective, well, that's not as big of an advantage, but one nonetheless.

I'd have to agree with House too...name plays a big part, and reputation is important. Name in part, has some significance for a reason because schools build up a name due to their reputation I feel. Or else I would've gone somewhere cheaper for postbac, it would've been so much easier to go to UMDNJ or PCOM for postbac...but I decided to go to BU because of its reputation as a reputable postbac with a high success rate.

On the other side, performance is important too, you can't just bank on a name to get you in.

There are only five SMP programs in the country--BU, G'Town, EVMS, Drexel and RFU (which is now defunct). Of those, BU is the highest ranked med school....by far. BU is ranked 28th by US News in research. The next closest is G'Town at 46. No one else is ranked. The US News rankings are often maligned, and I think they're crap, but they do give you some idea of what other people (particularly other doctors and admissions people) think of schools. Assuming you were to get the same gpa at both programs, what would be more impressive: doing well in med school classes while competing against students at the 28th or the 46th ranked med school?

You may claim it doesnt matter, that doing well at any med school is enough, but it matters at least as much, if not much, much more, than how many people applied to, and were accepted by, some program. So is it still that important that G'Town probably has more applicants and accepts a smaller percentage?

Most of us are going to SMPs for a reason--to prove that we're not completely worthless--except for that guy who has an acceptance and is opting for an SMP anyway. No one in this program is realistically competing for a spot in a top 20 program, though it does happen on occasion. We'd br happy to end up anywhere. Point being, the immediate concerns of SMP people--doing well, getting in somewhere, et--are so far removed from trivial concerns such as selectivitiy that you are truly wasting your time thinking about it. It only matters in as much as an SMP is actual med-school, as opposed to post-bacc pre-med, which is undergrad. And only if you do well, would it actually matter that you went to BU and not Drexel or EVMS. G'Town is no better than BU.