Official: BU MAMS - Entering Fall 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How good is BU at sending an update letter to med schools after the first term? I will apply to BU and my state school this year. An update letter after the first term could be a HUGE factor to get me accepted and avoid another year.

Anyone's previous experience would be helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

junebuguf said:
There are only five SMP programs in the country--BU, G'Town, EVMS, Drexel and RFU (which is now defunct). Of those, BU is the highest ranked med school....by far. BU is ranked 28th by US News in research. The next closest is G'Town at 46. No one else is ranked. The US News rankings are often maligned, and I think they're crap, but they do give you some idea of what other people (particularly other doctors and admissions people) think of schools. Assuming you were to get the same gpa at both programs, what would be more impressive: doing well in med school classes while competing against students at the 28th or the 46th ranked med school?

You may claim it doesnt matter, that doing well at any med school is enough, but it matters at least as much, if not much, much more, than how many people applied to, and were accepted by, some program. So is it still that important that G'Town probably has more applicants and accepts a smaller percentage?

Most of us are going to SMPs for a reason--to prove that we're not completely worthless--except for that guy who has an acceptance and is opting for an SMP anyway. No one in this program is realistically competing for a spot in a top 20 program, though it does happen on occasion. We'd br happy to end up anywhere. Point being, the immediate concerns of SMP people--doing well, getting in somewhere, et--are so far removed from trivial concerns such as selectivitiy that you are truly wasting your time thinking about it. It only matters in as much as an SMP is actual med-school, as opposed to post-bacc pre-med, which is undergrad. And only if you do well, would it actually matter that you went to BU and not Drexel or EVMS. G'Town is no better than BU.

Gosh, a simple "I don't know" would've sufficed. What should I spend my time thinking about? How much fun I'll have studying my ass off in difficult classes where I absolutely have to do well in? That's time well spent....

You're right, this is trivial. That's why I asked it on SDN and not BU.

Wow, there's like a welcome dinner and everything. Do most people go to that?

Members don't see this ad :)
junebug, i've gotten really good advice from you in the past, and now i'm scared.

no one shoots for a top 20? man, that kinda stinks. maybe i'm feeling a little poor right now, but this program is outrageously expensive, and i'm NOT taking histo so i can study for the mcat (again) and really try to do a bang up job.

my point being, i'm studying really hard, and now i'm about to pay a gillion dollars and-- no top 20s?! please say top 30s? do they (BU) say where they are able to place grads? :eek:

eep.

so maybe i'm feeling a little *edgy* (27 rejections will do that to you) but I was hoping i could get a little better than, say, RFU after this prog.

sigh.

junebuguf said:
There are only five SMP programs in the country--BU, G'Town, EVMS, Drexel and RFU (which is now defunct). Of those, BU is the highest ranked med school....by far. BU is ranked 28th by US News in research. The next closest is G'Town at 46. No one else is ranked. The US News rankings are often maligned, and I think they're crap, but they do give you some idea of what other people (particularly other doctors and admissions people) think of schools. Assuming you were to get the same gpa at both programs, what would be more impressive: doing well in med school classes while competing against students at the 28th or the 46th ranked med school?

You may claim it doesnt matter, that doing well at any med school is enough, but it matters at least as much, if not much, much more, than how many people applied to, and were accepted by, some program. So is it still that important that G'Town probably has more applicants and accepts a smaller percentage?

Most of us are going to SMPs for a reason--to prove that we're not completely worthless--except for that guy who has an acceptance and is opting for an SMP anyway. No one in this program is realistically competing for a spot in a top 20 program, though it does happen on occasion. We'd br happy to end up anywhere. Point being, the immediate concerns of SMP people--doing well, getting in somewhere, et--are so far removed from trivial concerns such as selectivitiy that you are truly wasting your time thinking about it. It only matters in as much as an SMP is actual med-school, as opposed to post-bacc pre-med, which is undergrad. And only if you do well, would it actually matter that you went to BU and not Drexel or EVMS. G'Town is no better than BU.

LinnyTrap said:
junebug, i've gotten really good advice from you in the past, and now i'm scared.

no one shoots for a top 20? man, that kinda stinks. maybe i'm feeling a little poor right now, but this program is outrageously expensive, and i'm NOT taking histo so i can study for the mcat (again) and really try to do a bang up job.

my point being, i'm studying really hard, and now i'm about to pay a gillion dollars and-- no top 20s?! please say top 30s? do they (BU) say where they are able to place grads? :eek:

eep.

so maybe i'm feeling a little *edgy* (27 rejections will do that to you) but I was hoping i could get a little better than, say, RFU after this prog.

sigh.

BU is in the top 30... :D

But seriously, take a long hard look at yourself, and then take a long hard look at the statistics for kids in the Top 20. If you got rejected everywhere last time, then chances are the next time around, without significant improvement, you are not going to get in anywhere either. BU will help you greatly, if you work very hard work and stay on task. Could you get into a Top 20, it's an extremely long shot (i.e. find a cure for AIDS during your thesis work). Will you have a good shot at your state school and say something between 30-80, most definitely.

And no, I'm not putting you down, I got rejected everywhere I applied to last time as well. Then I sat down and realized what my weaknesses were and where I had to improve myself. If you have a 3.2/31, the BU program is probably a good fit. If you have a 3.7/20, I think you may need to work on something else.

BU isn't magic, it is what you make of it.

just curious jk
after BU, where you headed?
and what do you recommend
i do the summer after my first
year at BU? do i stay and do research
or postpone it till second year?

djyujin said:
just curious jk
after BU, where you headed?
and what do you recommend
i do the summer after my first
year at BU? do i stay and do research
or postpone it till second year?

I'm headed to any med school that will take me... :D

As far as when you start your research will be dependent upon who you work for and what not....there really isn't a set timetable for that.

LinnyTrap said:

eep.

sigh.

It is not completely out of the question. In fact, I'm sure every class has a few people who crack a top 20 med school. Singing_Devil on this board went through MAMS and got into Pitt last year. So it does happen. But if you're going to BU, there is, by default, something seriously wrong with your credentials. I say seriously because going through the fire that is an SMP is not a decision most people come to lightly. Its usually the last option, after improving your MCAT, EC's, and possibly undergrad post-bacc coursework. Since getting into any med school is not easy, and getting into a top 20 med school that much harder, no one goes to BU with Duke or Hopkins in their sights.

Nonetheless, its great to set high goals, just make sure they are not unrealistic and bound to set you up for failure.

PS Singing_Devil had a 39 on the MCAT.
PPS Have you seen RFU's match list? They send people to Stanford Ortho all the time. I would gladly go there.

Hi i was wondering what some of all of yours stats were that were accepted into BUMAMS? Thank you

waterlivergirl said:
Hi i was wondering what some of all of yours stats were that were accepted into BUMAMS? Thank you

MCAT: 33 O
AMCAS GPA: 2.95 (3.95 over last two years upper division chem course work)

Tons of research and clinical experience, and I applied early.

Relax and take everything in stride. If you don't get into a program this year work in a clinical hospital setting and apply early next year. Or do an a la carte post bacc and reapply. Just keep moving forward.

LinnyTrap said:

my point being, i'm studying really hard, and now i'm about to pay a gillion dollars and-- no top 20s?! please say top 30s? do they (BU) say where they are able to place grads?

sigh.

At orientation they will give you a huge binder of stuff....among that there is a list of schools that have accepted kids from the program.. (the list is 3 pages long) GMS students have matriculated at harvard, cornell, BU, einstein, michigan, sinai, upenn..etc, it pretty much covers from the top ranked to the lower ranked allopathic schools, DO schools and dental schools...

Either way, if u do very well (4.0 or close to it) in the program, then u will have a shot at top schools depending on MCATs and how bad undergrad was... my undergrad wasnt great and i still got into a few highly ranked schools thanks to GMS.

Bottom line, it doesnt matter. For now, worry about getting in somewhere/anywhere first.... because even if the program only helps you to get into a "mid range" medical school.... it is worth every cent. It is expensive and overpriced for what the program consists of, however.. for getting into medical school when you ohterwise wouldnt.. definitly worth it.

if you are really that concerned about the rankings and getting into a top school.. honestly, we all should have thought of that as a undergrad freshman.. it sucks, but that's the way it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I need some advice on filler classes and have already read through the posts for info, but still have questions. I am planning to take the MCAT next January or early spring and wanted to know which classes would be good to prep for it. So far fall semester cell bio looks like a good fit. Is that a tough class to take?

For the fall I am registered for biochem and physio A. Would it be too much to add on biostats and cell bio?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Do any of you guys know if they will accept DAT scores in place of the GRE or MCAT scores to get into the program?

mars2213 said:
Hi everyone, I need some advice on filler classes and have already read through the posts for info, but still have questions. I am planning to take the MCAT next January or early spring and wanted to know which classes would be good to prep for it. So far fall semester cell bio looks like a good fit. Is that a tough class to take?

For the fall I am registered for biochem and physio A. Would it be too much to add on biostats and cell bio?

Physio and biochem make the biosciences section pretty easy.. cell bio probably isnt really gonna help all that much beyond it.. just make sure you brush up on orgo and you will be all set. if you take the summer mcat after physio A + B, biochem, histo and endo, biosci is a breeze. either way, you dont really have to worry about it yet. you will get tons of info at orientation and your advisor will be able to help you with the courses. If u have biochem and physA, taking intro to pharm isnt a bad idea.. it can be a fun class.. and/or biostats which is about as easy and boring as it gets. just get a hold of last year's stuff..it is all very very similar..

also as general advice.. you dont really need to buy all the books for class unless you like to do lots of unnecessary extra reading. the syllabi notes are very long and detailed and as long as u take decent class notes on top of that, you will be fine. You should get the lippincott's biochem review book. that one is great, but the actual textbook is useless.. the syllabi will have the rest. Biostats- dont buy anything, everything u need will be online.

Anybody else have problems with letters of recommendations from science professors? I need a science professor LOR, but I can't get any from my undergrad (Hey remember me? I was that one guy in the back...with headphones on) Do any of you know if it will be possible to get one from a professor at Boston U? And I don't mean the letter they send out after the first semester grades are in.

mars2213 said:

I wouldn't take cell bio and biostats in addition to physio and biochem. Just pick one. Did you take Stats in undergrad, because then you can get an exemption...If you do get an exemption, take something interesting and not to labor intensive becaus you will be busy with biochem and physio.

HouseIsMyHero said:
Anybody else have problems with letters of recommendations from science professors? I need a science professor LOR, but I can't get any from my undergrad (Hey remember me? I was that one guy in the back...with headphones on) Do any of you know if it will be possible to get one from a professor at Boston U? And I don't mean the letter they send out after the first semester grades are in.

I'm sure it will be possible -- try to get to know the professors right away. But it will still take a few months before they know you well enough. Are you applying now? If you are applying now, then just contact someone from your undergrad, give them info about yourself (CV, personal statement) and make them do it. They don't really have to know you -- part of their job is to write you LORs so just find someone who is willing.

how much in loans are you guys taking out? just curious...

I'm just going for the 18,500. My parents are gonna cover the rest. This loan process is confusing me though- if anyone is knowledgeable about this stuff or has done it before, let me know if I have this straight:

1. I submit my signed SAR
2. Fill out a loan processing request form and send it in
3. Go through the online entrance counseling
4. Sign the master promissory note

Is that all that's required from my end?

yes, if anybody could clarify the loan process that would be great.

i was just accepted off the waiting list at BU!! woooo

hey congratulations lala!

are most of you getting medical insurance from BU? its around 1280 for the year. I'm trying to find out whether this is a good price or whether I could get something cheaper elsewhere. Please let me know what you think.

does anyone know if BU is still accepting students?

I applied rather late (actually very very late) - mid July. I hope there is still a chance....

i'm sure that they're still considering applications b/c i only heard back from them a few days ago. i actually got into virginia commonwealth, which was higher up on my list of choices, so i hope that my position at BU goes to one of you guys! good luck!

How hard is it to get into the MPH program if ur in the MAMS program? If I were to finish MAMS in a year, I was thinking of getting an MPH between applying and going to med school. Has it been done? Any advice/help/info would be great. :)

djyujin said:
How hard is it to get into the MPH program if ur in the MAMS program? If I were to finish MAMS in a year, I was thinking of getting an MPH between applying and going to med school. Has it been done? Any advice/help/info would be great. :)

I didn't do this, but a lot of my classmates did. So I don't think it's that difficult. You just need to apply. But it is expensive. When you start GMS, you should ask your advisor when to apply for the MPH (I think you need to do it by March).

djyujin said:

similar to the above question does anyone know if getting an MBA in the year in between is possible? I know there is a combined program MAMS/MBA but not sure what the length is. Thanks.

is the MPH worth it you think? I've always been interested, I just don't know how much it'll help me out in the end.

djyujin said:
is the MPH worth it you think? I've always been interested, I just don't know how much it'll help me out in the end.

I guess it depends on what you plan to do with your career - if you desire a greater knowledge of or intend to work in the public health field, an MPH can be invaluable. However, if your sole interest is enhancing your credentials to gain admittance to medical school, spending an extra $40K on a degree that is not science-intensive probably isn't worth it... You could also forego BU's joint degree and tack on an MPH as part of your MD, since it might be cheaper at another school.

Congrats on your acceptance to BU :)

I was wondering what your guys' stats were--if that was okay. Thanks.

I applied last week, and just got in (no WL) - MCAT:26 O, GRE(%ile): A-45, v-97; GPA: F, C's, B's, A's (in chronological order). I was already accepted into the MPH when I applied, so it may have had some impact, but I have no idea. I'm just glad I'm in! ;)

So i applied to MAMS on May 5 to be exact, and i havent heard anything. No waitlist or rejection, anyone else with the same predicament, I’m getting kind of annoyed its been quite a while now. I applied to both BU and Tufts PH and I heard back from them a month later…. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so annoying.. oh also which is better for public health BU or Tufts...help a fellow student with some advice haha

CopticFezz said:
So i applied to MAMS on May 5 to be exact, and i havent heard anything. No waitlist or rejection, anyone else with the same predicament, I’m getting kind of annoyed its been quite a while now. I applied to both BU and Tufts PH and I heard back from them a month later…. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so annoying.. oh also which is better for public health BU or Tufts...help a fellow student with some advice haha

Definitely follow up and make sure all your information is correct and intact.

There have been some questions about medical insurance at BU. The following is from BU's website.

All students certified as full-time and students certified as part-time but registered for seventy-five percent or more of a full-time course load (nine or more credit hours for most schools) are required by Massachusetts law to participate in a qualifying medical insurance plan.

In addition, Boston University requires all international and exchange students to participate in a qualifying medical insurance plan. If the student is studying in the United States, that medical insurance plan must be based in the United States.

Students in these categories are automatically enrolled in the Boston University Medical Insurance Plan and their student accounts are charged
for the coverage.

If you are in one of these categories, you are responsible for reviewing the benefits, limitations, and exclusions of your current health insurance plan and comparing them to those in the Boston University student medical insurance plan to determine whether you have adequate coverage.

The Boston University Medical Insurance Plan is administered by the Chickering Group, an Aetna Company, and underwritten by the Aetna Life Insurance Company. Assist America, Inc., provides Emergency Travel
Assistance Services. For a detailed description of the student medical insurance plan and instructions on how to use the plan, visit Chickering's Web site at www.chickering.com. Click on "Find Your School" and enter
"Boston University" as "Your School Name".

To qualify to file a Medical Insurance Waiver, your current health insurance plan must provide you with coverage throughout the school year. It must include reasonably comprehensive coverage of both inpatient and outpatient services and be reasonably accessible to you where you are attending school.
If your current health insurance plan does not provide at least a comparable level and range of coverage, Massachusetts State law requires that you
accept enrollment in the Boston University Student Medical Insurance Plan. You may retain the student medical insurance plan as your sole medical insurance plan, or as a supplement to your primary medical insurance plan. MEDICAL INSURANCE WAIVER DEADLINES FOR THE 2006/07 ACADEMIC YEAR
(EXCEPT MED/SDM STUDENTS)
Fall 2006 Semester: August 17, 2006
Spring 2007 Semester (New Students Only): February 1, 2007

Hey everyone,

I was recently accepted to MAMS. If anyone is looking for a roommate to fill an empty room, please let me know. I look forward to seeing you all in September.

Hey guys- is Endo a 2 or 4 credit class? I didn't see it listed anywhere on the BU MAMS page or in the course schedule on the GMS page.

Also has anyone taken or heard anything about Virology?

TLM Sushi said:
Hey guys- is Endo a 2 or 4 credit class? I didn't see it listed anywhere on the BU MAMS page or in the course schedule on the GMS page.

Also has anyone taken or heard anything about Virology?

Endocrinology is a 4-credit course. Immunology is a 2-credit course.

A lot of students take them concurrently during the 5wk period after Physio.

Last edited:
Neha25 said:
Hi! I posted this on last year's thread by mistake, but here is my question!!

1. Did any of you, or anyone you know start the BU MAMS program in the SPRING? what would be the advantages and disadvantages to this?

2. i was thinking of staying at my undergrad school (its a good school and i get a good financial aid package) for another semester to up my gpa a little before starting the MAMS. I want to apply next summer after being in the program for a semester and finish it while applying. Do you think this is a good idea? Would i have to send LOR from the program after one semester?

3. What course schedule would i do? I found one other post on this, but it wasn't very detailed. Could I take biochem and neuro in the spring? (i'm good at these subjects and it would look good to have good grades in my first semester to send med schools) Would I have to take the terrible summer Histo :eek: ?

i could even spend 1.5 yrs in it if need be.

thank u for any advice!! i'm new to the whole posting thing :)

Yes, you can start in the spring. I wouldn't say it's popular, but there are quite a few kids who have done it. The advantage is that you can apply that summer if you would like, since you will have taken Physio, Endo, Immuno by the time you apply and the Summer Histo could be added to your transcript by the middle of August. There are quite a few people who do this.

This route may be beneficial if you need to help out your undergrad GPA. It will give you the chance to boost your undergrad GPA and then start the program while still applying next summer. If you did indeed take this route your schedule would look like this.

Neuro (Jan-Feb); Physio (Feb-May); Endo/Immuno (June); Histo (July-August); Biochem & BioStats (Sep-Dec). You could then do your thesis the following spring semester. Alternatively, you could take Histo in the fall and you could also take Neuro after you've had a few courses, instead of it being your first.

As I mentioned in the other thread, call Natasha Hall and get the answers you are looking for.

Hope that helps!

even though histo isn't required by the program, is it generally advisable to take it? just wondering.... and if im taking physio A and biochem in the fall, when should i take it?

djyujin said:
even though histo isn't required by the program, is it generally advisable to take it? just wondering.... and if im taking physio A and biochem in the fall, when should i take it?

If you are taking Physio A and Biochem in the Fall, you will take it in the spring along with Physio B.

The deal with Histo is this: Dr. Vaughan is high up on the adcom at BU. She does not look favorably upon students who have not taken her course, bc she thinks it's the barometer by which to measure a student's caliber. Arguably, it is the toughest course for a GMSer; so she probably has a good reason to believe that way. Now, if you have no intentions whatsoever about going to BU, talk to your advisor and see what he/she recommends for you. There are kids that don't take it and end up at a good med school.
Also, another reason to take it is that it is the one course that almost all students have never been exposed to in undergrad. A lot of kids have taken Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology and the like, but very very few have taken a Medical Histology/Pathology/Microscopic Anatomy course. Some adcoms see it is a level playing field for all students, and therefore, a good indicator of how the student will do in the program. Overall, most kids end up taking it, so you might as well grit your teeth and bear it. :D

haha damn. i mean i'm looking at applying to BU Med, and if she's on the adcom, i guess it's a good idea to take the class then. how hard is it to get letters of rec from BU profs? should i keep a couple from my undergrad school?

djyujin said:
haha damn. i mean i'm looking at applying to BU Med, and if she's on the adcom, i guess it's a good idea to take the class then. how hard is it to get letters of rec from BU profs? should i keep a couple from my undergrad school?

Your advisor at BU will write a letter of rec for you. BU puts everything together for you and what not. They are pretty good about it. It probably would not hurt to keep a contact at your undergrad institution; let them know what you are up to.

Is/has anyone applied to med school the summer before entering the BU MAMS program? I'm not sure if the med schools will see if you're in the program and expect to see grades as soon as we get them or what

Has anyone heard anything new?? I was told I was on the wait-list last Thursday...I'm wondering when we will know. How many times are we allowed to call a week/day/hour? :p just kidding...i'm very anxious!!

Dublin31 said:
Is/has anyone applied to med school the summer before entering the BU MAMS program? I'm not sure if the med schools will see if you're in the program and expect to see grades as soon as we get them or what

Some kids do. BU will update your grades at the end of the semester.