{OFFICIAL} August 9th MCAT Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzeidenb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
good luck to the rest of you guys. I played a poker tournament this morning, am watching bad news bears right now, going out to hibatchi for dinner and watching the Yankees kick ass before bed.

I wish I had more time to practice verbal but I'm gonna go in there tomorrow and give it my effin best because that's all I can do.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont remember there being a cyclin passage on my Bio section. But my VR had a galileo passage. I just want to confirm is mine was different or not so here are some of the topics that i had:

PS: there was one weird passage with conductors and magnetic fields(had 1 big diagram), it had incline planes passage, There was one with birds and their forces and i think there was one with electron energy levels.

VR: it contained the galileo passage, along with a history passage(i dont remember anything about oral in there), there was also passages on intelligence, the wild, holidays and some other stuff

BS: again, i dont remember anything about cyclins what so ever. I did have a retrovirus passage, an ester passage, organic compound identification passage, osteoblasts, hormones and some other stuff

i had the same thing...so what did u think about it??? sorry if u posted it...i havent gone through the entire thread...

PS was definitely like the AAMC CBTs in difficulty. Not bad at all. I had the version with diamond and nanotechnology. I came out of the section thinking, "Are you kidding me? That was so easy." Definitely not even close to the difficulty of Kaplan's FLs.

VR-I'm not a good person to get opinions about VR from. I suck at VR.

BS - Definitely as difficult as Kaplan's FLs. OChem passages weren't bad. Bio passages were very challenging.

I have a comment to make about the exam in general.
In my opinion, the MCAT is about 1/4 like an IQ test in that it doesn't really test any science knowledge. It tests whether you are clever enough to notice subtle differences in answer choices etc...
Then, 1/2 reading comprehension...purely reading comprehension.
The remainder 1/4 is science knowledge. I think someone who's a humanities major with recent courses in bio/phy/chem/ochem will do the better than any science majors. Just my opinion.

I totally agree with u on this.....MCAT barely tests the knowledge. In fact, most people have all the knowledge required. Its just the anxiety, the mood, the concentration and other things that affect the state of the mind........

Looks like the 3 of us had the same exam or passages. Yes I remember that wilderness, wild and wildness VR passage. I had to keep my finger on the screen to make sure I did not get trick in being asked about wilderness or wildness...as you can see, our eyes can play tricks on us because we can read quickly an assume one word over the other. I was happy I did not have some crazy philosophy or women's issue passage. No offense to women but for some odd reason any time I have a passage about that I do horrible! I think I remember that capacitance passage now. That was a pain but I think I got most of them. The viral/RNA one was a b*tch too, but I think I figured out what they were asking or at least I hope I did. We will find out in a few weeks...hoping for the best and expecting it! LoL

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like the 3 of us had the same exam or passages. Yes I remember that wilderness, wild and wildness VR passage. I had to keep my finger on the screen to make sure I did not get trick in being asked about wilderness or wildness...as you can see, our eyes can play tricks on us because we can read quickly an assume one word over the other. I was happy I did not have some crazy philosophy or women's issue passage. No offense to women but for some odd reason any time I have a passage about that I do horrible! I think I remember that capacitance passage now. That was a pain but I think I got most of them. The viral/RNA one was a b*tch too, but I think I figured out what they were asking or at least I hope I did. We will find out in a few weeks...hoping for the best and expecting it! LoL

i spent at least 10 mins on that question........i think it was not an appropriate question for MCAT...because of its structure...i mean if they put results in a confusing way its their mistake....ppl wont get questions wrong coz they didnt know what was going on...but because it was hard to get things straight.....and the different names of the genes...i am totally not sure about my answers...

i spent at least 10 mins on that question........i think it was not an appropriate question for MCAT...because of its structure...i mean if they put results in a confusing way its their mistake....ppl wont get questions wrong coz they didnt know what was going on...but because it was hard to get things straight.....and the different names of the genes...i am totally not sure about my answers...

which one are you talking about?

You wouldn't be talking about Mowshowitz would you?

You bet. Have you been through the grinder too? I actually adore her and thinks she is a great teacher, but people have switched schools because of her Bio or received A's in everything else and nearly failed her class. But in the end, I welcomed the BS section with open arms.

Good luck to everyone on their scores.
For me, the VR was quite difficult. I couldnt finish it either and guessed on many questions. The other sections seemed relative to the practice exams I took and I expect around the same score (11-12). As for verbal though, I'm praying to god....