{OFFICIAL} August 9th MCAT Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzeidenb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
good luck to the rest of you guys. I played a poker tournament this morning, am watching bad news bears right now, going out to hibatchi for dinner and watching the Yankees kick ass before bed.

I wish I had more time to practice verbal but I'm gonna go in there tomorrow and give it my effin best because that's all I can do.

Members don't see this ad.

PS: Not too bad, but I wouldn't go as far to say it was easy. Very similar to AAMC practice test's. I think the curve will be pretty strict on this section because a lot of people seem to think it was "easy". :scared: My only advise is don't spend too much time cramming useless formulas into your head! Focus more on understanding the principles that the equations represent. This section was more about extrapolating information from the passages (with very little outside knowledge of formulas), definitely not plug and chug type of questions.

VR: Dang, the passages seemed super long! I had to speed read through the last passage. Overall, it was not as hard as Kaplan VR . . . more along the lines of AAMC.

BS: This is by far my strongest section, but I thought it was pretty tough. There were a couple of passages that were VERY experimentally based where outside knowledge was pretty useless, except if you had actually published the papers they were referring to. 2 Orgo passages, one short one long. Only had 1 question about hormones/endocrine system! :eek: If I was going to study all over again, I would read more journals like Science, Nature, and Neuroscience just to be familiar with making conclusions based on experimental data. :D

Blah . . .

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, It doesnt even out in the end. During hard tests like the 24th test. It tests how well you guess and not how well you know content or even how well you think. It tests how well of a guesser you are. Ultimately, for us, it's another craps shoot. For me, that's good to know (sarcastic) especially when my admission pretty much depends on my new MCAT score. I probably should have taken the August 6th test.

Folks,

Most of you are doing a great job with keeping your posts general. Unfortunately, we have had to PH one user for posting test questions on this thread. Please remember that you absolutely, positively may NOT post any specific questions or answers (general passage topics and your feelings about the test are fine). Thanks again to the majority of you who are following the rules, and best of luck to you all from the SDN staff. :)

PS: Not too difficult Gen. Chem. material, but the last passage (which was ridiculously 6-7 questions long if I recall correctly) on magnetism/electricity was a disaster. Messed up on 2 calculation questions which is not so good, because that is my expertise.

V: My very weak spot. In preparation, I completed nearly 300 passages from EK, Kaplan, and Princeton Review, and I think it only improved my score a bit. My practice score range was a 4 - 13. Had only 8 minutes left to do two passages. Not good. Dear god please let me score an 8 or above and no less.

W: Not too terrible. I actually forwent my break after Verbal to do the Writing section, because I felt so demoralized by the uncertainty of the verbal questions. Damn verbal! So I can get 5 or 6 on the Writing section, but if I score less than an 8 on verbal, that will keep me out of medical school! I loathe verbal!:eek:

BS: Didn't think was so bad, but my University is reknown to have the most difficult biology professor in the country, so I was ruthlessly trained. Orgo was fine, but included a ridiculous question with way too many diagrams where you had to scroll back and forth just to get the jist of it. I hammered AMCAS on that one in the feedback survey.

Please let there be a decent curve in Verbal!

Hey guys,

I'm confident about my answers to the buckyball passage, box sliding down, and d-orbitals. Pretty confident about the vast majority of bio as well.

I think you don't need to bother yourself trying to figure it out. You can't change what you've written, and you can only end up increasing your hypertension. Let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm really the kind of person that can't handle not knowing something.
I spent all night after the test looking up the answers to the questions I could remember.
I know for sure I got the two easiest q's on the PS wrong, but I feel better knowing that than agonizing about it for a month.
If you are the kind of person that drinks their brain cells to death after a test to forget about it, that's great, but not my style.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't drink my brain cells to death. I leave it to God, and it's settled. Like the bible says, 'Which of you, by worrying, can add a single hour to his life?'

Anyone know how many questions one can potentially miss and still score a 30 on the mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
PS: Not too difficult Gen. Chem. material, but the last passage (which was ridiculously 6-7 questions long if I recall correctly) on magnetism/electricity was a disaster. Messed up on 2 calculation questions which is not so good, because that is my expertise.

V: My very weak spot. In preparation, I completed nearly 300 passages from EK, Kaplan, and Princeton Review, and I think it only improved my score a bit. My practice score range was a 4 - 13. Had only 8 minutes left to do two passages. Not good. Dear god please let me score an 8 or above and no less.

W: Not too terrible. I actually forwent my break after Verbal to do the Writing section, because I felt so demoralized by the uncertainty of the verbal questions. Damn verbal! So I can get 5 or 6 on the Writing section, but if I score less than an 8 on verbal, that will keep me out of medical school! I loathe verbal!:eek:

BS: Didn't think was so bad, but my University is reknown to have the most difficult biology professor in the country, so I was ruthlessly trained. Orgo was fine, but included a ridiculous question with way too many diagrams where you had to scroll back and forth just to get the jist of it. I hammered AMCAS on that one in the feedback survey.

I was in a similar situation for verbal on june 15. I had like 8 minutes to do the last 2 passages, rushed thru the second to last one, and had 2 minutes to guess on the last one. i still pulled out with an 8 though. ditto on hoping the curve on verbal isnt bad.

I always finished verbal on the practice tests but during the morning test on 08/09 I had 8 minutes to do the last two passages! I don't know what happened. I am worried about how my score will turn out :(

Ok, I will do the obligatory question.

Did the MCAT today reflect any of the practice tests out there (kaplan, AAMC) or did it just feel different?

Thank you, now continue with your regularly scheduled MCAT thoughts!

could others please comment on this? i'm very interested in knowing.

thank you very much!

I had a really weird experimental question on viruses and RNA. I was likely ******ed that day, since I simply couldn't interpret the experimental results or what the experiment was about for that matter.

I had a really weird experimental question on viruses and RNA. I was likely ******ed that day, since I simply couldn't interpret the experimental results or what the experiment was about for that matter.

I think I had this question as well...If it is the one I am thinking of I just sat there wondering....what in the hell is this asking. I re-read it over and again and kept coming back to the same question...what in the hell is this asking? If I remember correctly it had graphs...but they were stange and difficult to interpret.
are you saying it was a question based off of an experiment, or are you saying you think this was an experimental question from AAMC to see how well we did on it?

Ok the test is 4 days old now.. no one should care anymore, just stop worrying about the test and enjoy the time you dont have to spend studying anymore!

Some of you guys are starting to cross the line a little bit here. Also, please don't be asking other people to PM you to discuss questions. For people as smart as y'all are, you are not being very subtle, if you catch my drift.

While I understand that we are not to divulge specific information regarding the MCAT, the diversity of the MCAT information and material potects itself very well. I would hope that AAMC is clever enough to not offer the same examination on each test date. In my opinion, that would be their own fault and show the same lack of preparation that they would tell us if we didnt perform well enough on one of their versions of the examination.

You know, its funny, the process of getting into and out of medical school is so cut throat and based solely on class rankings and test scores. This means absolutely nothing in the real world of medicine and is so unfortunate. It seems that he only place the medical school honor code is implemented is in medical school...for in the real world of medicine discussing information related to medicine or a particular case and or patient is usually very acceptable...and called a consultation. Ahhhh...you are now witnessing the the politics of medicine!

Some of you guys are starting to cross the line a little bit here. Also, please don't be asking other people to PM you to discuss questions. For people as smart as y'all are, you are not being very subtle, if you catch my drift.

Don't you think you're being a little rediculous? I understand if this website prohibits posting specific questions, since they can be seen by anybody stumbling on SDN. But not asking other people to PM to discuss the questions? I think what I do in the privacy of my PM box is my business, no?

Anyway, if someone would like to PM me regarding the weather on 8/9, I would love to hear your thoughts. I personally thought it was rather mild...

Don't you think you're being a little rediculous? I understand if this website prohibits posting specific questions, since they can be seen by anybody stumbling on SDN. But not asking other people to PM to discuss the questions? I think what I do in the privacy of my PM box is my business, no?

Anyway, if someone would like to PM me regarding the weather on 8/9, I would love to hear your thoughts. I personally thought it was rather mild...

I don't think Q would waste her time telling us not to do something just because she wants to, AAMC people read these boards and put pressure on the site. Anyway your PM box doesn't belong to you, its SDN's site they are responsible for what the site is being used for, yea rules suck I remember when after a test this site used to be filled with actual mcat questions.

Anyway, it was kind of sunny when I was taking the test, how was the weather in your part of the country, pm me I want to hear all about it!

According to the official rules:
"you may NOT post any specific MCAT questions or answers, and you may NOT ask other users to post any specific MCAT questions or answers either.

In case it's not clear to anyone what is or is not allowed, you MAY post general topics (ex. I had a passage about rickets) and your feelings (ex. I thought the rickets passage was very hard.)

You may NOT post specific MCAT questions (ex. did you have a question about what causes rickets?), specific answers (ex. I said rickets was caused by a bacterium), and you may absolutely, positively NOT ask other people to post specific MCAT questions or answers either (ex. what did you answer for the question that asked what causes rickets??)"

I'm new to online forums, but I believe "posting" is entirely different than PM'ing. I'm fully sensitive to the rules, as I have been blocked for a week before, but if is indeed prohibited to PM members about answers, the rules should be stated more clearly.

The way I see it, the MCAT is about as copywritten as movies or music. You cannot buy a copy and allow others access to it online, but you certainly may share them with individuals in privacy.

I think maybe you should go to law school instead of med school, seeing as you like to split hairs so much. :rolleyes:

Look, dude(tte), my mission in life isn't to make your life miserable. But since we're being so technical here, *your* private inbox doesn't belong to *you.* It belongs to SDN, and the deal is that you don't get to use any part of SDN to violate the AAMC copyrights. That being said, we don't moderate PM boxes. So if you would just take my hint and be a little low-key about it, I wouldn't know what you're doing, and we wouldn't have a problem. But since you feel the need to come here and publically flout it right in front of my face, I have no choice but to respond and tell you not to do it. All I can say is that if you can't figure out on your own why you shouldn't be openly encouraging other people to flout the rules by PM and basically all but admitting in writing to doing it yourself, well, what can I tell you. I don't know how I could have made my hint any more obvious than I did in my previous post. If you can think of a way, I'm open to suggestions. Shrug.
QofQuimica said:
For people as smart as y'all are, you are not being very subtle, if you catch my drift.

I think maybe you should go to law school instead of med school, seeing as you like to split hairs so much. :rolleyes:

Look, dude(tte), my mission in life isn't to make your life miserable. But since we're being so technical here, *your* private inbox doesn't belong to *you.* It belongs to SDN, and the deal is that you don't get to use any part of SDN to violate the AAMC copyrights. That being said, we don't moderate PM boxes. So if you would just take my hint and be a little low-key about it, I wouldn't know what you're doing, and we wouldn't have a problem. But since you feel the need to come here and publically flout it right in front of my face, I have no choice but to respond and tell you not to do it. All I can say is that if you can't figure out on your own why you shouldn't be openly encouraging other people to flout the rules by PM and basically all but admitting in writing to doing it yourself, well, what can I tell you. I don't know how I could have made my hint any more obvious than I did in my previous post. If you can think of a way, I'm open to suggestions. Shrug.

Okay, no specific material about MCAT on SDN including PMing and you have a point with ur argument. But lets say hypothetically i post my cell number and say if you want to discuss anything about aug 9th mcat call me. would that still be a violation?

Q- hair splitting is an equal opportunity activity and can be practiced in medical school with equal compassion. Anyway, I honestly thought I was being subtle by asking people to PM me rather than discuss things publicly. The fact that I would make such a post is more of a testiment to the vagueness of the rules than to me flouting them.
I understand where you are coming from and respect your request. I will not do it again, however, if you do not wish this to happen on a weekly basis you should give serious consideration to revising the rules.

Q- hair splitting is an equal opportunity activity and can be practiced in medical school with equal compassion. Anyway, I honestly thought I was being subtle by asking people to PM me rather than discuss things publicly. The fact that I would make such a post is more of a testiment to the vagueness of the rules than to me flouting them.
I understand where you are coming from and respect your request. I will not do it again, however, if you do not wish this to happen on a weekly basis you should give serious consideration to revising the rules.

I am with you on this one PreMD... and I hate Big Brothers:mad:

I think I had this question as well...If it is the one I am thinking of I just sat there wondering....what in the hell is this asking. I re-read it over and again and kept coming back to the same question...what in the hell is this asking? If I remember correctly it had graphs...but they were stange and difficult to interpret.
are you saying it was a question based off of an experiment, or are you saying you think this was an experimental question from AAMC to see how well we did on it?

Hmm...I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I don't recall any graphs depicting the results. And yeah, it was a passage based on a couple of experiments, but I certainly wouldn't mind if it was an experimental passage as well.

hanlinting said:
But lets say hypothetically i post my cell number and say if you want to discuss anything about aug 9th mcat call me. would that still be a violation?
So long as SDN isn't liable. lol

Okay, no specific material about MCAT on SDN including PMing and you have a point with ur argument. But lets say hypothetically i post my cell number and say if you want to discuss anything about aug 9th mcat call me. would that still be a violation?
I would delete your cell number because it's dangerous to post your personal contact info on a public website where even unregistered guests (whose identities we don't know) can see it. For your own safety, please do NOT post your phone number or other contact info that can be used to find you on the public forums.

This is a great, proportional response to PreMD86's accusation of Q being "rediculous."

You wouldn't be talking about Mowshowitz would you?

i guess since those of us who took this exam felt it was "easy", this thread died quickly. that or the close proximity to the aug 14/16/20 made everyone forget very quickly.

another day until one exam's score is release, then soon the august 6th exam and so on. september will either be a month of celebration or disappointment. looking forward to a bombardment of post to follow after each release.

i guess since those of us who took this exam felt it was "easy", this thread died quickly. that or the close proximity to the aug 14/16/20 made everyone forget very quickly.

another day until one exam's score is release, then soon the august 6th exam and so on. september will either be a month of celebration or disappointment. looking forward to a bombardment of post to follow after each release.

Jesper-
Did you think the test was easy on the 9th? I didnt know that there was such a thing as an easy MCAT. Anyone know how many questions one can miss on each section and still get close to a 30?

Ha easy...that's a good one. I don't know if your post was designed to pull some people out of the woodwork but it had that effect on me.

I prepped with the examkracker book set and the live TPR course. I took the Aug 9th PM test, maybe a little late but here are my thoughts..

PS: About average difficulty, I didn't feel that it was biased towards either chem or physics, a pretty even mix. Not many calculations maybe 1-3, certainly much less than TPR diags. Estimated score, 10.

VR: Wow this section kicked my butt, every passage was much longer than on any TPR and AAMC CBTs. I felt like there were no easy passages, all of them were pretty dense and complex. The questions also sucked pretty hard. I ran out of time and had to guess on a passage. I have been scoring 10-12 on my practice tests but I am praying that I got 8 on this section.

WR: I was not a fan of my prompts, I had to reach pretty hard to come up with an example for one of them. As long as I get an M or higher I don't care.

BS: Heavily Bio based, only 2 orgo passages and one of those was almost all passage based without need for outside knowledge, althought it had a chart which was the width of about 3 screen lengths, scrolling that beast sucked. Probably the easiest BS section I have ever taken. Hoping for a 12-15 to make up for the VR section.

My practice test score range is 27-36, my estimate for the real thing is 28-32, my dream score 36. Honestly Sept. 12th can't come soon enough!

i thought the exam was fair, not too easy, not too hard. the ps was more on par with what i knew though i already know i missed 3 questions...easy ones too. as for verbal, i actually enjoyed reading the passages but then i do not score well in this section anyway. the writing sample prompts i had was easy. one prompt was one i had from somewhere before. when i read the prompt, i kept looking around thinking is this for real? hahaha, i hope i did well there. the bs was definitely easy and i would catch myself double checking to make sure i did not fall into a trap answer. organic is always easy for me. overall i thought i had one really hard ps passage (em one) and one hard bs (genetic/biochem one). i'm hoping for a ps 12-15, vr 10-12, bs 13-15 ws p-t, wishfull thinking i know but i'm still hoping for it!!!

i thought the exam was fair, not too easy, not too hard. the ps was more on par with what i knew though i already know i missed 3 questions...easy ones too. as for verbal, i actually enjoyed reading the passages but then i do not score well in this section anyway. the writing sample prompts i had was easy. one prompt was one i had from somewhere before. when i read the prompt, i kept looking around thinking is this for real? hahaha, i hope i did well there. the bs was definitely easy and i would catch myself double checking to make sure i did not fall into a trap answer. organic is always easy for me. overall i thought i had one really hard ps passage (em one) and one hard bs (genetic/biochem one). i'm hoping for a ps 12-15, vr 10-12, bs 13-15 ws p-t, wishfull thinking i know but i'm still hoping for it!!!

Did you take in the AM or PM?
In the morning there was one passage on PS that wore my butt out. It was long and had some weird picture...i am assuming a capacitance type question. It is so far removed from my brain now...I dont really recall.

Did you take in the AM or PM?
In the morning there was one passage on PS that wore my butt out. It was long and had some weird picture...i am assuming a capacitance type question. It is so far removed from my brain now...I dont really recall.

AM, though i do not recall a capacitance question, if there was it was not so bad. my friend took the PM one at another site, after the exam, we discussed the materials and he had a much "harder" exam i think. we did not have any passages in common that we can remember.

AM, though i do not recall a capacitance question, if there was it was not so bad. my friend took the PM one at another site, after the exam, we discussed the materials and he had a much "harder" exam i think. we did not have any passages in common that we can remember.

It wasnt one particular question...it was a big diagram talking about electric charges I think. Maybe it wasnt capacitance. seems like it was towards the end of the exam. I wonder if we even had the same test. Do you remember a verbal passage about the wilderness, wild, and wildness?

It wasnt one particular question...it was a big diagram talking about electric charges I think. Maybe it wasnt capacitance. seems like it was towards the end of the exam. I wonder if we even had the same test. Do you remember a verbal passage about the wilderness, wild, and wildness?

hey, i had that test with the wilderness thing. I thought the test was hard in some parts, okay in others. I actually found the physics hard especially the question youre talking about with the electricity and that weird ass diagram. It also had this weird equation that i didnt know how to use. The verbal was same as usual but they were for sure longer. Good thing was that i dont think there were too many philosophy/art passages. The WR was easy and yea i saw one of the prompts b4 too. The BS was okay, a little harder than usual. I had that virus/RNA passage with the weird graphs. It was hard to understand but i think i got most of the answers right.

hey, i had that test with the wilderness thing. I thought the test was hard in some parts, okay in others. I actually found the physics hard especially the question youre talking about with the electricity and that weird ass diagram. It also had this weird equation that i didnt know how to use. The verbal was same as usual but they were for sure longer. Good thing was that i dont think there were too many philosophy/art passages. The WR was easy and yea i saw one of the prompts b4 too. The BS was okay, a little harder than usual. I had that virus/RNA passage with the weird graphs. It was hard to understand but i think i got most of the answers right.

I put that electricity pasage off until the end, and then of course had to guess at the end. I dont know that it would of mattered much one way or the other. I got through all but 1 of the passages on VR...it was the second or third one that was a shorter passage but talked about stories or poetry or some other crap. BS was ok...I just seemed to of spend more time than I wanted to on that RNA passage just thinking and trying to figure out what the hell it was asking...and how to dig it out of the graphs. I wonder how bad our curve will be because there were not too many people complaining about how hard it was.