*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i dunno i kinda doubt the schools you applied to would care one way or the other.
AP doesn't show up with a grade though so if you took a whole term's worth of classes and you got grades for them i might want those?

i went abroad too and since i went thru an american institution (not my home one, but still), my grades counted. i dunno though, i'm in the same part of the process you are really.

i dunno i kinda doubt the schools you applied to would care one way or the other.
AP doesn't show up with a grade though so if you took a whole term's worth of classes and you got grades for them i might want those?

i went abroad too and since i went thru an american institution (not my home one, but still), my grades counted. i dunno though, i'm in the same part of the process you are really.
Yeah, my grades actually don't count they show as TR on the official transcript so that part is OK. I just don't know if this discrepancy is going to annoy/confuse anyone or is they could care less.

Members don't see this ad :)
huh... what designation do you think they should have? if you get no grade they may just feel the need to assign some designation. it's not exempt or passfail or currentfuture... maybe AP just fit best...

i don't know about the whole it won't delay your processing question. if there's not a clear answer in the giant magical pdf then maybe the person on the phone is the best one to listen to. they're obviously not your prereqs though so i can't imagine anyone would get too invested in the whole thing?

so you went independently abroad so you have no foreign transcript and that's why you listed the transfer credits from your home institution?

So, my application was just verified today (finally) but they made some changes to my coursework that concern me:

I studied abroad my 1st semester in college. Strange, I know, but since I very explicitly indicated this it should not have been a problem I thought but the verifier must have misunderstood and changed the classification of all my study abroad coursework to AP. I called AMCAS they said it didn't really matter but if I wanted I could submit an academic change request.

I have some concerns either way:
if I submit the change request and it takes a few days does this hold up my app? The rep said it wouldn't and that schools would just receive an update but I am skeptical.

This is my understanding of academic change requests.

Yeah, my grades actually don't count they show as TR on the official transcript so that part is OK. I just don't know if this discrepancy is going to annoy/confuse anyone or is they could care less.

I suspect that people couldn't care less.

How do you guys approach your "description" essays on the extra-curriculars? Do you go for more of a simple description like "worked in retail for 5 years, lots of human interaction, allowed me to perfect my communication skills..."
Or for more of a miniature personal essay approach?
"I spent 3 hours a week volunteering in the children's hospital for 2 years. It was a very valuable experience that allowed me to... A particularly inspiring moment was when..."

Or other? Or a mix of the above? I'm a really good writer when I want to be, but I am just coming up against a bit of a wall on my EC's. Writer's block I guess... :oops:

P.S. Sorry if this question already got asked, I did a few searches but didn't see anything...

I couldn't find if this has been asked and answered before, but if I had failed a university course and then subsequently took its equivalent (based on assist.org) at a community college, would the community college course be listed as a repeat?

I figure it might be confusing for the adcoms, because the names are slightly different.

How do you guys approach your "description" essays on the extra-curriculars? Do you go for more of a simple description like "worked in retail for 5 years, lots of human interaction, allowed me to perfect my communication skills..."
Or for more of a miniature personal essay approach?
"I spent 3 hours a week volunteering in the children's hospital for 2 years. It was a very valuable experience that allowed me to... A particularly inspiring moment was when..."

Or other? Or a mix of the above? I'm a really good writer when I want to be, but I am just coming up against a bit of a wall on my EC's. Writer's block I guess... :oops:

P.S. Sorry if this question already got asked, I did a few searches but didn't see anything...

This would be more appropriate for the Work and Activities thread. That having been said, either narrative or bullet forms are acceptable. Whatever you feel is best to describe your activity. This would be a fair summary of advice.

Not sure if this goes her but I didn't want to start a specific thread--just tired of all the rubbish that has been popping up recently. Anyways, probably has been answered anyways.

For secondaries, you know the question about is there anything else that you would like to tell us...should I discuss why I got bad grades my first two years? I had family issues, over burdened myself, hard major etc. I don't want to sound like I am whining.

Thanks!

Not sure if this goes her but I didn't want to start a specific thread--just tired of all the rubbish that has been popping up recently. Anyways, probably has been answered anyways.

For secondaries, you know the question about is there anything else that you would like to tell us...should I discuss why I got bad grades my first two years? I had family issues, over burdened myself, hard major etc. I don't want to sound like I am whining.

Thanks!

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "bad." Regardless, if you did choose to explain it, if you simply stick to the facts without resorting to overemotional pleas, then you ought not to come off as whining.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "bad." Regardless, if you did choose to explain it, if you simply stick to the facts without resorting to overemotional pleas, then you ought not to come off as whining.

Bad as in, I got tons of Bs and a few Cs. My GPA was 3.1-3.2 ish. Is it OK to not discuss it at all? I would prefer it that way.

Bad as in, I got tons of Bs and a few Cs. My GPA was 3.1-3.2 ish. Is it OK to not discuss it at all? I would prefer it that way.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider that as needing explanation. It would only call greater attention to it. Also, I wouldn't consider that "bad." Less than ideal? Sure. But not "bad." ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I wouldn't consider that as needing explanation. It would only call greater attention to it. Also, I wouldn't consider that "bad." Less than ideal? Sure. But not "bad." ;)

Haha, thanks! I really appreciate your help. :)

So, sorry if this has already been touched upon but after the processing of my application when I went to review it I noticed that along with my 6/16/2011 mcat scores below it says additional test date: 6/16/2011.

Does this happen to everyone? Or is it something I should look into?

If I have already designated on the AMCAS primary the Letters of Recommendation but have not sent them to AMCAS from Interfolio, how long would it take for AMCAS to show they have received my LOR's from Interfolio?

If I have already designated on the AMCAS primary the Letters of Recommendation but have not sent them to AMCAS from Interfolio, how long would it take for AMCAS to show they have received my LOR's from Interfolio?

In my experience, two days from initiation of the delivery in Interfolio.

At my school, undergraduate research is counted as a class with graded units depending on how many hours we commit each quarter. Would a LOR from my PI be equivalent to a LOR from a science professor? On my transcript, the research is listed as Psychiatry.

At my school, undergraduate research is counted as a class with graded units depending on how many hours we commit each quarter. Would a LOR from my PI be equivalent to a LOR from a science professor? On my transcript, the research is listed as Psychiatry.

A search turned up this thread.

So I took the 7/06/11 MCAT and am awaiting results. Being that the MCAT Bio section was rediculously hard I signed up for the August 23 MCAT just in case.

I get my results on August 9, and if the results are good then I will cancel my August 23 test.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to list my future test right now on AMCAS (even if I might cancel later)?
2. If I cancel do I need to let AMCAS know about it?
3. If I decide to take the August 23 test do I need to let AMCAS know about it (or will they already know and my results post automatically), and will this slow down my verification process?
4. Will any of the above slow down my verification process (I submitted my app for verification a few weeks ago)?

Thanks.

Hey guys and gals. I submitted my application last week, and I was looking through my work/activities section and found some formatting issues that WERE NOT THERE when I submitted. For the new sections where you have extra space to write about your "Most Significant" experiences, I had multiple paragraphs, but now looking back on them, they all run together I'm just kinda pissed because I put so much effort into making everything perfect for AMCAS but now its not exactly the way I want it to be. Did anyone else have the same problem? I am almost positive there were paragraphs in there when I was proofreading my statement; I don't know why I would have overlooked it. Also, when I wrote "Wal-Mart" as a past employer, it put "W al-Mart". What gives? Anyone else have these problems?

I don't know if this has been answered yet but what if my pre-med committee doesn't assemble its letter until late September? Can I apply to schools without any letters of recommendation (or with some individual letters) and submit my AMCAS application in order to be verified? Thanks, guys.

I don't know if this has been answered yet but what if my pre-med committee doesn't assemble its letter until late September? Can I apply to schools without any letters of recommendation (or with some individual letters) and submit my AMCAS application in order to be verified? Thanks, guys.
You can submit your primary, be verified, and work on secondaries. You'll probably need the letter to have your secondary be complete at most schools, unless the individual letters you have will meet the school's requirements

So I took the 7/06/11 MCAT and am awaiting results. Being that the MCAT Bio section was rediculously hard I signed up for the August 23 MCAT just in case.

I get my results on August 9, and if the results are good then I will cancel my August 23 test.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to list my future test right now on AMCAS (even if I might cancel later)?
2. If I cancel do I need to let AMCAS know about it?
3. If I decide to take the August 23 test do I need to let AMCAS know about it (or will they already know and my results post automatically), and will this slow down my verification process?
4. Will any of the above slow down my verification process (I submitted my app for verification a few weeks ago)?

Thanks.
You can wait until you get your first score. Schools won't even look at your app until you get an MCAT score. Once you see it, you can decide to indicate on AMCAS or drop the date altogether.

None of this has any bearing on the verification process. You will want to indicate on AMCAS if you are retaking as soon as you decide so that schools don't make a decision based on your first score (if the first one is bad)

Hey guys,
So I was just reviewing my verified application. Amcas apparently made a change to my academic record. They classified classes that I took during the fall of my 3rd year as sophomore classes. This effectively makes it seem as if my junior year started in the spring of my third year. My assumption is that my 15 AP credits are not factored in amcas' calculation of my "status". It just looks very weird seeing that I only have 15 credits as a junior even though I technically completed my junior year and am now a rising senior.
Should I be concerned about this?

Hey guys and gals. I submitted my application last week, and I was looking through my work/activities section and found some formatting issues that WERE NOT THERE when I submitted. For the new sections where you have extra space to write about your "Most Significant" experiences, I had multiple paragraphs, but now looking back on them, they all run together I'm just kinda pissed because I put so much effort into making everything perfect for AMCAS but now its not exactly the way I want it to be. Did anyone else have the same problem? I am almost positive there were paragraphs in there when I was proofreading my statement; I don't know why I would have overlooked it. Also, when I wrote "Wal-Mart" as a past employer, it put "W al-Mart". What gives? Anyone else have these problems?

I had the same thing, I guess the activities section was only supposed to be one paragraph? Or maybe it will be different when schools view it, I dont know. Either way its not a big deal.

I have taken physiology classes which are in sequence - physioA, physioB, physioC- this is how the class is listed in my school schedule of classes and appears on my transcript.
only the description, which is not on transcript goes into more detail and explains what each of these classes cover... Should I somehow include in the name that let's say class A was neuro physiology, B was musculoskeletal pulmonary and cardiovascular C was endocrine gastrointestinal and repro? Or should I just leave as it appears on my transcript?

Thanks

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how long does it take for the schools to get the letters that have been uploaded to AMCAS? Mine were uploaded yesterday and was just wondering when my apps would be starting to be complete

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how long does it take for the schools to get the letters that have been uploaded to AMCAS? Mine were uploaded yesterday and was just wondering when my apps would be starting to be complete

This is going to be variable from school to school. I would give it a week before worrying.

I have taken physiology classes which are in sequence - physioA, physioB, physioC- this is how the class is listed in my school schedule of classes and appears on my transcript.
only the description, which is not on transcript goes into more detail and explains what each of these classes cover... Should I somehow include in the name that let's say class A was neuro physiology, B was musculoskeletal pulmonary and cardiovascular C was endocrine gastrointestinal and repro? Or should I just leave as it appears on my transcript?

Thanks

Leave it as it appears on your transcript. Anything else will just potentially confuse the verifiers.

So this might be a stupid/repetitive question, but I was just wondering how exactly the verification process with regards to receiving secondaries.

I just submitted the amcas early sunday morning and I received 3 secondaries monday morning and 1 more this morning. I know my amcas is nowhere near being verified (still waiting on my committee letter) but how did I manage to receive these secondaries? A few of my friends have submitted their amcas weeks ahead of me, haven't been verified either, but they haven't received any secondaries yet.

The whole timeline is kind of throwing me off. Any clarification on this is much appreciated.

So this might be a stupid/repetitive question, but I was just wondering how exactly the verification process with regards to receiving secondaries.

I just submitted the amcas early sunday morning and I received 3 secondaries monday morning and 1 more this morning. I know my amcas is nowhere near being verified (still waiting on my committee letter) but how did I manage to receive these secondaries? A few of my friends have submitted their amcas weeks ahead of me, haven't been verified either, but they haven't received any secondaries yet.

The whole timeline is kind of throwing me off. Any clarification on this is much appreciated.

1) Letters of recommendation have no impact on verification.
2) Some schools do not screen on GPA or MCAT. Depending on what they use to screen, they may send applicants invitations to complete secondaries even though their applications have not yet been verified.

Hi guys,

I submitted my application about a month ago. But I JUST realized that for my work experience as a Summer Intern at a local hospital, I put in 9 hours/week (thinking it was 9 hours/day). In the description though, I put that I had at least 190 hours completed for the summer. Is there any way I can change this? I know it says we can't make changes to work/activities after submitting, but I just figured I would ask you guys, because I don't want them to think I was lying about my hours.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

I submitted my application about a month ago. But I JUST realized that for my work experience as a Summer Intern at a local hospital, I put in 9 hours/week (thinking it was 9 hours/day). In the description though, I put that I had at least 190 hours completed for the summer. Is there any way I can change this? I know it says we can't make changes to work/activities after submitting, but I just figured I would ask you guys, because I don't want them to think I was lying about my hours.

Thanks in advance!

You can't change it. Update letters to each individual school might be advisable, but otherwise there isn't anything you can do.

I have a couple of questions.
1st, how do I add another medical school to my AMCAS? it says "You have already designated a restricted program that prohibits you from designating additional medical school programs. To designate this program, you must first edit your previously designated restricted program."

What does that mean, and how do I do it?

Also, for early decision, when does my MCAT score need to be submitted? I take it August 5th.

Evan

if you applied to one school early decision you probably can't add any other schools. that's part of doing early decision, right?

for the other Q i dunno..

I have a couple of questions.
1st, how do I add another medical school to my AMCAS? it says "You have already designated a restricted program that prohibits you from designating additional medical school programs. To designate this program, you must first edit your previously designated restricted program."

What does that mean, and how do I do it?

Also, for early decision, when does my MCAT score need to be submitted? I take it August 5th.

Evan

It looks like you chose to apply early decision. That means you cannot apply to any schools other than the one you are applying early decision to.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147554/amcas_2010_faqs-7.3.html : EDP deadline is August 1.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/edp/ : all supplemental materials must be provided by this date -- this should include your MCAT score. August 5 is clearly too late for this; you should have taken it no later than one month prior to August 1.

You should edit your app to instead apply regular decision (not sure if that's doable if you've already submitted).

Well, I read on LSUs website that for Early Decision, "The latest date to complete file in Admissions Office is normally September 1, 2011." ....does this mean if my score is available by then, then I'll be ok?

Well, I read on LSUs website that for Early Decision, "The latest date to complete file in Admissions Office is normally September 1, 2011." ....does this mean if my score is available by then, then I'll be ok?
I think that means you need to complete the secondary by then and have all of your LOR's and MCAT score in by then. But won't your score be released after September 1 anyway?

Thanks, I just emailed them. Why I didn't think of that earlier, I don't know!

What do you do when you realized you made a typo regarding start date, end date or total hours of some activities after your app is verified? Just ignore it since there is nothing you can do at this point?

Last edited:
So I have 4 LORs in totally, 3 have shown up and the 4th one will show up soon (hopefully). If I direct all of them to all med schools i have finished secondaries for will they start looking at the application before the 4th one shows up?

So I have 4 LORs in totally, 3 have shown up and the 4th one will show up soon (hopefully). If I direct all of them to all med schools i have finished secondaries for will they start looking at the application before the 4th one shows up?

I have the same question as above. I have been waiting for the 4th letter for like a month!!! I am getting frustrated since it is almost august.

I don't think the admission committee will look at the app unless all the letters all in right? :mad:

What do you do when you realized you made a typo regarding start date, end date or total hours of some activities after your app is verified? Just ignore it since there is nothing you can do at this point?

You might consider sending manual update letters to the schools you've applied to, but there's nothing you really can do.

I have the same question as above. I have been waiting for the 4th letter for like a month!!! I am getting frustrated since it is almost august.

I don't think the admission committee will look at the app unless all the letters all in right? :mad:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11349422&postcount=835

Ok this might be a ridiculous question, but all you have to do is submit the application, pay for it, and wait for the verification right? I've been waiting for a while and now doubts are seeping about submitting correctly. lol.

If my pre-med committee organizes our letter in October, would that be considered too late? Should I just go ahead and speak with admissions committees about foregoing the committee letter for individual letters?
Thanks again, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.