Official AADSAS Q&A Thread 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! As the application opened today to start filling out, I'm sure there'll be many questions about how things should be done, what to include where, etc. so let's keep all the questions posted to this thread so that 1) the forum isn't flooded and 2) people can search for their questions in this thread and hopefully not ask the same thing 20 times ;)

Feel free to ask, and feel free to answer (especially incoming D1s that just finished the application cycle) :)

Post away!

EDIT: I can't answer all of them by myself due to school taking over, but I'll try to. If the site has helped you in the past, please try and pay it forward and help me answer questions :arghh:

Also, PLEASE read the instructions and use its Help Center (ADEA AADSAS Applicant Help Center), as its search function is pretty good and you'll likely find your answer!

Also, the first day to submit the application has been pushed back.
"*Update* June 16, 2020: First day to submit your 2020–21 ADEA AADSAS application has changed"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I'm at crossroads here and panicking pretty badly because I'm afraid that a class I took in high school will affect my GPA. It was a physics course at a community college that I took in my second year of high school which I got a C in. I was pretty bad at physics back in the day so I just took the course to improve for my high school physics courses. I submitted the transcript for that class to my undergrad school when I was applying for colleges and I had no idea it might affect my dental school app because I didn't even know I would want to go into dentistry at the time. I got credits for that class in my undergrad and it appears in my unofficial transcript so I'm really afraid I'll have to list that in my app. I worked my butt off to maintain a GPA I was really proud of and it just sucks that it'll drop because of a summer class I took a long time ago.

Is there any way to avoid this?
Would I need to list that community college in "colleges and universities attended" and order a transcript?
Would some schools not calculate it into my AADSAS GPA?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Is there any way to avoid this?
Would I need to list that community college in "colleges and universities attended" and order a transcript?
Would some schools not calculate it into my AADSAS GPA?
No
Yes
No

You have to list all post-secondary institutions at which you took classes, which includes any CCs and universities you took classes at during or after high school. You will need to add them to your app and request a transcript from them. There's no way to avoid this, and hiding it can bite you in the butt later on and may cause an acceptance to be revoked if you never mention it but the dental school later finds out. AADSAS is what calculates your GPAs, not individual schools, so it will be included in all your GPAs since it's physics (oGPA, sGPA and BCP GPA).

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I aggregate all of my dental shadowing hours under one experience? Or should I list every office/dentist separately?

Also, It says that you can only highlight 6 experiences, are all experiences included and shown or just the 6 you highlight?

Hi,

I have some questions regarding classification for some of my courses for the AADSAS. I took a course called Behavioral Research. I am trying to figure out how to classify this course, I saw there was an option called Behavioral Statistics. Would that be the appropriate listing? The course focused on research methods and statistical analysis.

Thanks

Should I aggregate all of my dental shadowing hours under one experience? Or should I list every office/dentist separately?

Also, It says that you can only highlight 6 experiences, are all experiences included and shown or just the 6 you highlight?
If you have a significant number for each dentist/office, I'd do them separately, but if not, I'd probably group them by office.
All your experiences will be listed, but the highlighted ones will be shown on a special coversheet that schools get, like a "quick facts" version of your application.

Hi,

I have some questions regarding classification for some of my courses for the AADSAS. I took a course called Behavioral Research. I am trying to figure out how to classify this course, I saw there was an option called Behavioral Statistics. Would that be the appropriate listing? The course focused on research methods and statistical analysis.

Thanks
Seems like a solid choice, and if AADSAS doesn't agree with your classifications, they usually will change it for you after you've submitted your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the 'Professional Transcript Entry' generally recommended? I only went to one school in my undergrad so I don't have multiple transcripts. It doesn't seem that hard to enter the courses tbh but I'm just wondering

Is the 'Professional Transcript Entry' generally recommended? I only went to one school in my undergrad so I don't have multiple transcripts. It doesn't seem that hard to enter the courses tbh but I'm just wondering
Nah just a way for AADSAS to make some more money imo lol. I just inputted everything on my own, and I didn't even have this window of extra time that the past few cycles have had!

Entering everything is pretty straightforward, it just might be really time-consuming cause you have to be really careful and make sure everything matches (if AADSAS finds significant mistakes, they'll send your app back to you to fix before they'll continue verifying, thus delaying your app).

How can we access the previous cycle's status? I'm not reapplying but can't seem to figure out how to go back to the previous cycle on AADSAS.

How can we access the previous cycle's status? I'm not reapplying but can't seem to figure out how to go back to the previous cycle on AADSAS.
Since the new cycle opened, I don't think you can anymore. Some info from last year will carry over to this year, but otherwise I don't think you can view most things, like your PS and answers to supplementals for example, unless you downloaded your apps previously.

No
Yes
No

You have to list all post-secondary institutions at which you took classes, which includes any CCs and universities you took classes at during or after high school. You will need to add them to your app and request a transcript from them. There's no way to avoid this, and hiding it can bite you in the butt later on and may cause an acceptance to be revoked if you never mention it but the dental school later finds out. AADSAS is what calculates your GPAs, not individual schools, so it will be included in all your GPAs since it's physics (oGPA, sGPA and BCP GPA).
I'm currently entering my grades and I was wondering whether I put "freshman" for that class? I took it in summer 2014 which was several years before I started undergrad but there are only options for freshman through post-grad. If I do enter it as freshman, would it be counted towards all of my undergrad science GPAs?

1. Do we need to enter AP credits? If so, what grade do we put in? (These credits transferred towards my University degree and show up on my college transcript.)
2. If we add planned courses will this delay the time our application gets reviewed by admissions?

I'm currently entering my grades and I was wondering whether I put "freshman" for that class? I took it in summer 2014 which was several years before I started undergrad but there are only options for freshman through post-grad. If I do enter it as freshman, would it be counted towards all of my undergrad science GPAs?
"Dual enrollment courses (college courses taken during high school) are considered Freshman and should be listed under the college where you took them. Do not report these courses again as transfer credits at your undergraduate institution."
Source: Transcript Entry
You put the course in and its grade, and later on, you'll click "Review and Finalize my Transcripts", and it'll ask you if any classes were dual enrollment, and you'll click yes and select this class.
As I said before, it will be counted toward your undergrad GPA no matter what. There's no way to hide it and there's no way to avoid putting it on your application, so it will count no matter what.
1. Do we need to enter AP credits? If so, what grade do we put in? (These credits transferred towards my University degree and show up on my college transcript.)
2. If we add planned courses will this delay the time our application gets reviewed by admissions?
1. Yes - You put the course it transferred as and put "CR" for the grade. Later on, you'll click "Review and Finalize my Transcripts", and it'll ask you if any classes are AP credits, and then you click yes and select which ones.
2. No

Members don't see this ad :)
"Dual enrollment courses (college courses taken during high school) are considered Freshman and should be listed under the college where you took them. Do not report these courses again as transfer credits at your undergraduate institution."
Source: Transcript Entry
You put the course in and its grade, and later on, you'll click "Review and Finalize my Transcripts", and it'll ask you if any classes were dual enrollment, and you'll click yes and select this class.
As I said before, it will be counted toward your undergrad GPA no matter what. There's no way to hide it and there's no way to avoid putting it on your application, so it will count no matter what.

1. Yes - You put the course it transferred as and put "CR" for the grade. Later on, you'll click "Review and Finalize my Transcripts", and it'll ask you if any classes are AP credits, and then you click yes and select which ones.
2. No

what if some of the exams don't match a specific course? for example, I have a few exams where the credit I received at my school was just listed as credit for a GE area requirement

Hi! Instead of having to take my first English class in college, I passed it automatically because I made above a 30 on the English portion of the ACT. I have obtained my official transcript from my current college, and the transcript says “P” for pass. How do I record this on the Transcript Entry portion? Thank you!

If I took a psychology Research Methods class where we created a poster for presentation, should I include this in the research section? At first I did not think it was relevent since it was for class but im not sure. (Our project was about factors that affect a persons willingness to seek medical treatment so slightly relevent to dentistry but still psychology)

I also did research and presented a poster for a Intro to Bio Lab course but once again this was a class requirement. (Research throughout semester was about plant disorders) Not sure if I should include either of these since they arent like "big" research things. Has anyone else included things like this?

For AADSAS research is
"Any experience working on a research project, preferably in addition to or outside of regular classroom work. This may include student research positions, research technician positions, summer research student, master’s rotational student, etc."

For TMDSAS
"Include any publications (submitted as well as published), abstracts, presentations, and posters. Other examples may include participation in a research project through class, employment, or volunteer experience.* "

If I took a psychology Research Methods class where we created a poster for presentation, should I include this in the research section? At first I did not think it was relevent since it was for class but im not sure. (Our project was about factors that affect a persons willingness to seek medical treatment so slightly relevent to dentistry but still psychology)

I also did research and presented a poster for a Intro to Bio Lab course but once again this was a class requirement. (Research throughout semester was about plant disorders) Not sure if I should include either of these since they arent like "big" research things. Has anyone else included things like this?
If it were me, I wouldn't..... those were things you had to do for a grade. In undergrad, I joined a research lab and from there I made and presented two research posters and abstracts, but I wasn't getting a grade for any of it, so I included these (this was after I already applied though, so I added them as updates).

In your situation, they would be considered "regular classroom work"/"homework", not something you did on your own outside of your class. You could put it on TMDSAS since you did it for class but I wouldn't put it on AADSAS.

For the experiences section, is it better to write full sentences for the description or make bullet points? What should be emphasized in the description?

For the experiences section, is it better to write full sentences for the description or make bullet points? What should be emphasized in the description?
I wrote full sentences for mine. I tried to answer what I actually did in each experience and what I learned from it.

1) I understand that AP credits should go under freshman year, but does it matter which specific semester I put these courses? I put them all together in freshman summer since I technically received them prior to university.
2) When inputting course titles into AADSAS, should I copy them from my transcript word for word? Some classes on my transcript are abbreviated, so I elected to write out their full names in AADSAS.

If I did research for credit, is there a specific subject that I should put the research under in the credit entry section or should I just put the subject that matches the research the closest?

Hi!
I am currently doing a MPH because my undergrad grades were not so great. Do I have a sGPA from my masters and if so, how do i calculate?
Thank you!

hi if i graduated in three years, how do I assign year level on the application?
Just freshman, sophomore, junior I'd say.
I think you can do either but I personally had full sentences. Just described what I did and learned, it's very short (600 characters I think).
1) I understand that AP credits should go under freshman year, but does it matter which specific semester I put these courses? I put them all together in freshman summer since I technically received them prior to university.
2) When inputting course titles into AADSAS, should I copy them from my transcript word for word? Some classes on my transcript are abbreviated, so I elected to write out their full names in AADSAS.
1) Put them under whatever your transcript says. My credits all transferred to my fall term, so I had like 16 classes listed under it.
2) Match your transcript, even if it's abbreviated.
If I did research for credit, is there a specific subject that I should put the research under in the credit entry section or should I just put the subject that matches the research the closest?
I would probably follow whatever the course code was (ex. BIO XXXX), would just put Biology, etc.
Hi!
I am currently doing a MPH because my undergrad grades were not so great. Do I have a sGPA from my masters and if so, how do i calculate?
Thank you!
AADSAS will calculate your GPAs for you after submission, all you have to do is input your courses.

Do you put a separate "Achievement" for each Dean's List you've been on?

I think it would be preferable to just make one entry and list all the semesters you received Dean’s list for in the description box. If you went to more than one university, you could also make the appropriate number of Dean’s list entries for each separate institution.

In terms of Juniors applying, will transcript entry be successfully verified if courses entered are not on one’s transcript yet because they are planned courses that haven’t been registered for or taken. The “In Progress/Planned” status is available of course, but will this suffice for courses that one plans to take during their last semester of undergraduate.

No mention of these planned courses are on the transcript— do they only assess the courses in which grades have been received when verifying transcripts?

No- group them together otherwise it may look like you're just trying to fill space up/fluff your app.
In terms of Juniors applying, will transcript entry be successfully verified if courses entered are not on one’s transcript yet because they are planned courses that haven’t been registered for or taken. The “In Progress/Planned” status is available of course, but will this suffice for courses that one plans to take during their last semester of undergraduate.

No mention of these planned courses are on the transcript— do they only assess the courses in which grades have been received when verifying transcripts?
Yes to your last question. They only verify classes that have been taken and you've received a grade for, and then they take those and calculate GPAs. They allow you to put planned/in progress courses for your senior year, and then there are two academic update periods for you to update these planned/in progress classes and input grades (one period is after summer term, and the other after fall term). You'll resend transcripts, and AADSAS will verify everything new and recalculate your GPAs.

I’ve been to several (by several, I mean probably about 6 or 7) Remote Area Medical clinics volunteering as a dental assistant, totaling about 50 hours of volunteer work there. Should I group these into one? I plan on highlighting it as an important experience with one of the stars so I was wondering.

I’ve been to several (by several, I mean probably about 6 or 7) Remote Area Medical clinics volunteering as a dental assistant, totaling about 50 hours of volunteer work there. Should I group these into one? I plan on highlighting it as an important experience with one of the stars so I was wondering.
I would, because that means just 7-8 hours avg at each clinic, which isn't a lot imo. Unless you mean you've gotten 50 hours at each clinic, then I'd put them separately. Otherwise, again with seeming like you might be trying to fill/fluff your app out.
Also with the highlighting, if you did them all separately, would you highlight all of them (since you're only limited to six)? Another reason I'd just keep them in one entry and highlight other shadowing you have...

I’m a non-traditional student. Should I only include experiences/activities from the last 4 years (gets me back to my last year of undergrad) or should I include activities from my undergrad as well?

Questions about transcript entry:

1. On AADSAS, do we include zero-credit hour courses? (On TMDSAS they exlude zero-hour courses). One of mine is a college entry workshop class required by my university so its not actually a course but its still on my transcript. I also have organic chemistry discussion courses that shows up as 0 credits separately from my organic chemistry class. Should I be safe and just include both the workshop and the discussion course lol

2. On AADSAS, what subject are foreign language classes like Chinese and Spanish? The closest thing I see is cultural studies but thats not quite it. If I do include my workshop class what do I classify that as?

3. If I am an upcoming senior, do I go ahead and add all courses that I intend to take fall and spring of senior year as in progress? If so, can I change/delete these courses during academic update?

Last edited:
7031E3F6-58AE-4563-BE93-DCA49DBE4F4A.jpeg

89AD95BF-CD0E-48EA-9642-9E26A4C1C895.jpeg

A bit contradictory, which is correct? Should 0 credit labs be entered or omitted if only the course subject is explicitly referenced on an official transcript (e.g., “Organic Chemistry I” is listed on the official transcript but “Organic Chemistry I Lab“ is not listed even though it was technically a 0 credit course that you had to register for in addition to the 4 credit lecture).

Experiences entry: There seems to be only one start and end date for each experience. How would you enter the dates if, for example, if entering an annual weeklong project (Ex. 5/1-7 2019 & 5/1-7 2020....etc) Would it just be start date 5/1 2019 and end date 5/7 2020?

Experiences entry: There seems to be only one start and end date for each experience. How would you enter the dates if, for example, if entering an annual weeklong project (Ex. 5/1-7 2019 & 5/1-7 2020....etc) Would it just be start date 5/1 2019 and end date 5/7 2020?

Yeah just input it as 5/1/2019-5/7/2020 and specify in the number of weeks 2 (for example) to demonstrate that it's an annual weeklong project

View attachment 306307

View attachment 306308

A bit contradictory, which is correct? Should 0 credit labs be entered or omitted if only the course subject is explicitly referenced on an official transcript (e.g., “Organic Chemistry I” is listed on the official transcript but “Organic Chemistry I Lab“ is not listed even though it was technically a 0 credit course that you had to register for in addition to the 4 credit lecture).

Best rule of thumb is to just enter your transcript verbatim, you can match prereqs prior to submitting schools and they'll understand that the 4 credit class includes lab and lecture

Hi all quick question,

I started volunteering at a dental office early into my high school career and have continued to work there during college. This experience has been a combination of a shadowing and a volunteering experience as I did work as it came up and shadowed in some of the down time. My first question is should I put this experience under shadowing or under dental experience or both. In addition, can I count the hours I got in high school (I recorded them for the college app process) in the AADSAS app or can I only include hours from undergrad. I have heard a lot of conflicting things. Though most of my hours from this experience being in high school, it was an extremely meaningful experience so I definitely want to include it. Thanks in advance

Hi there, I have a question regarding the experiences portion of my dental application.

Right now I have about 20 different experiences listed, and I worry that this is too much. My involvement in various music groups makes up 7 of these experiences. For example, I joined several different orchestras, chamber groups, freelanced, and was in various music based clubs. Should I try to group them all in as one experience on my application?

My one concern if I do group them together is that, although they can all be lumped together as musical experience, they really are separate experiences that I participated in at different points in time. However, I don't want to overwhelm anyone looking over my application.

I’m a non-traditional student. Should I only include experiences/activities from the last 4 years (gets me back to my last year of undergrad) or should I include activities from my undergrad as well?
I think in your case, I would mostly just include things from the past few years, and maybe 1-2 significant things from undergrad, since it was so long ago.
Questions about transcript entry:

1. On AADSAS, do we include zero-credit hour courses? (On TMDSAS they exlude zero-hour courses). One of mine is a college entry workshop class required by my university so its not actually a course but its still on my transcript. I also have organic chemistry discussion courses that shows up as 0 credits separately from my organic chemistry class. Should I be safe and just include both the workshop and the discussion course lol

2. On AADSAS, what subject are foreign language classes like Chinese and Spanish? The closest thing I see is cultural studies but thats not quite it. If I do include my workshop class what do I classify that as?

3. If I am an upcoming senior, do I go ahead and add all courses that I intend to take fall and spring of senior year as in progress? If so, can I change/delete these courses during academic update?
1) I believe so, because you have to list everything on your transcript, even if it's 0 credits.
2) I think there's a "Foreign Languages" subject....
3) Yes and yes.
View attachment 306307

View attachment 306308

I would likely just put whatever your transcript says. Putting something down that you know happened but is not on your official transcript may cause AADSAS to force you to remove it -- they're honestly just checking to see if your input matches your official transcript exactly. In your case, be sure to have your syllabus from the course or some other way of proving to schools that you did in fact take the lab.
Yes, and then use the description to say exactly what was going on. Or, you could list it as two separate entries if you wanted as well.
Hi all quick question,

I started volunteering at a dental office early into my high school career and have continued to work there during college. This experience has been a combination of a shadowing and a volunteering experience as I did work as it came up and shadowed in some of the down time. My first question is should I put this experience under shadowing or under dental experience or both. In addition, can I count the hours I got in high school (I recorded them for the college app process) in the AADSAS app or can I only include hours from undergrad. I have heard a lot of conflicting things. Though most of my hours from this experience being in high school, it was an extremely meaningful experience so I definitely want to include it. Thanks in advance
I would put it under shadowing only and then use the description to say you assisted when needed (holding suction, handing instruments, etc.). I wouldn't double dip and count it under both. You could include the hours from high school, but again I'd probably use the description to differentiate how many were HS vs. undergrad hours.
Hi there, I have a question regarding the experiences portion of my dental application.

Right now I have about 20 different experiences listed, and I worry that this is too much. My involvement in various music groups makes up 7 of these experiences. For example, I joined several different orchestras, chamber groups, freelanced, and was in various music based clubs. Should I try to group them all in as one experience on my application?

My one concern if I do group them together is that, although they can all be lumped together as musical experience, they really are separate experiences that I participated in at different points in time. However, I don't want to overwhelm anyone looking over my application.
If they're all significantly different, then you could keep them separate. If there are some you could combine, I would do that (maybe group them by location?). Don't think you could go wrong either way though.

Hi, I have a question regarding the Covid-19 response.

I saw on the general aadsas app there is a response for how has Covid-19 affected your preparation for your application to dental school but for some specific schools in the "questions" area, they ask this again. Should I enter the same response that I did in the other section or try to change some of the wordings? Thanks!

Hi, I have a question regarding the Covid-19 response.

I saw on the general aadsas app there is a response for how has Covid-19 affected your preparation for your application to dental school but for some specific schools in the "questions" area, they ask this again. Should I enter the same response that I did in the other section or try to change some of the wordings? Thanks!
If its the same exact question, I would think you could just say the same thing or add more details if you wish. I dont think it would harm your application if you used the same thing-seems to me that they just wanted to give you an opportunity to explain any impacts covid had.

Hi guys,

My university is not sending out ANY official transcripts, neither through e-transcript services nor by mail. They've completely shut off all transcript printing services, and they can only send out unofficial copies of my transcript through E-MAIL!! Are you guys having this problem too?

I called the ADEA, and they told me to e-mail my situation to every dental school I'm applying to. That's going to be a lot of transcript requests, and quite some $$. How should I proceed?

I took a 2-credit course that was required for my STEM tutoring job on campus. It is focused on teaching how to mentor and educate students. The course code is PBS which stands for Physical Biological Sciences and the course title is _____ Program Service Learning. However, what course subject should I assign to it?

Hello all,

I accidentally made two ADEA accounts. I forgot I made one Jan '19 because I was looking over the application because I had a friend do the same thing. I am applying this cycle and I just made an account; completely forgot about my first account. Does anyone know if this will affect me or if I should contact customer support for ADEA application? On the website it says make sure to not make two accounts or else the application could be delayed. My first account was two cycles ago so I think it is different than what they mean by "making two accounts" but just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this. Thank in advance!

Hi guys,

My university is not sending out ANY official transcripts, neither through e-transcript services nor by mail. They've completely shut off all transcript printing services, and they can only send out unofficial copies of my transcript through E-MAIL!! Are you guys having this problem too?

I called the ADEA, and they told me to e-mail my situation to every dental school I'm applying to. That's going to be a lot of transcript requests, and quite some $$. How should I proceed?

I would do just what ADEA advised. Email admissions offices for the schools that you're applying to and explain your situation. Also be sure to address this in your answer to how COVID-19 has affected your applications. I can't imagine admins not being understanding and sympathetic to your situation. It's out of your control, so schools will have to accept unofficial transcripts from you until your university starts sending official transcripts again. You shouldn't have to pay for an unofficial transcript, but yes, sending official transcripts does cost more than it should. It's a rip off, but I am unaware of ways to avoid paying for official transcripts.

I took a 2-credit course that was required for my STEM tutoring job on campus. It is focused on teaching how to mentor and educate students. The course code is PBS which stands for Physical Biological Sciences and the course title is _____ Program Service Learning. However, what course subject should I assign to it?

I would consider that an education course as it focused on teaching how to mentor and educate.
Hello all,

I accidentally made two ADEA accounts. I forgot I made one Jan '19 because I was looking over the application because I had a friend do the same thing. I am applying this cycle and I just made an account; completely forgot about my first account. Does anyone know if this will affect me or if I should contact customer support for ADEA application? On the website it says make sure to not make two accounts or else the application could be delayed. My first account was two cycles ago so I think it is different than what they mean by "making two accounts" but just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this. Thank in advance!

I would contact ADEA, explain the situation, and ask that they delete the account you made in 2019. They're usually good at getting back to applicants in a timely manner. I'm inclined to say that it most likely won't hurt your application, but I'm not sure so I suggest contacting ADEA. Better to be safe than sorry.

If I have had multiple(3) jobs through the same organization, should I put it under 1 experience and list the other jobs I've had in the organization in the description? Or create a new experience for each job position? Same regarding clubs- if I have had multiple positions in 1 club, do I make it one experience or one experience for each? Thank you

My major is called Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology. I'm not quite sure which major title it falls under on AADSAS, there's one called "Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, & Biochemistry," but not sure if that's right. I'm inching towards Biological Sciences but I'd want to be as accurate as possible. Would anyone know how to go about this?

I would consider that an education course as it focused on teaching how to mentor and educate.
That makes sense. Thank you!

If I have had multiple(3) jobs through the same organization, should I put it under 1 experience and list the other jobs I've had in the organization in the description? Or create a new experience for each job position? Same regarding clubs- if I have had multiple positions in 1 club, do I make it one experience or one experience for each? Thank you
I had the same thing and I listed them all under one experience and used the description to differentiate between my various positions. I'd do the same thing with clubs: one experience per club, use description to break down your different roles.

My AP credits on my official transcript are lumped all together: it just lists the number of credits earned, with no reference to courses or what the test is. How should I enter them? My school does list the tests and credits received individually but it is NOT on the transcript. What should I do?