*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2013-2014 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can someone answer this ?

If you apply this year, 2013-14, your application will remain available for you to reference for the next cycle. I'm not sure if that is what you're getting at...

Members don't see this ad.

I would just ask AACOMAS because deviations from your original transcript can cause delays on your verification. I'm sure it's okay to abbreviate, just be sure that you can distinguish the abbreviation very easily when comparing it to transcript
Thanks. I emailed AACOMAS about this and they were so quick with replying :) . they said that "The abbreviations are fine and will not cause any delays. Thank you"

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone updated his/her AACOMAS yet?

If so, did you receive any notification that AACOMAS released your updated one or that it was received by schools?

Thanks

Anyone know the answer to this?

If you apply this year, 2013-14, your application will remain available for you to reference for the next cycle. I'm not sure if that is what you're getting at...

No I mean if I start it but don't apply this cycle. Will the entire thing be saved for next?

No I mean if I start it but don't apply this cycle. Will the entire thing be saved for next?

Not everything will be saved. Also, I think it only saves if you actually pay and submit the application. You may need to check with AACOMAS. Things like personal statement will not be saved, but your activities and grades will be saved

What's the verdict on copying and pasting info from amcas to AACOMAS and vice versa? Is it okay to do?

What's the verdict on copying and pasting info from amcas to AACOMAS and vice versa? Is it okay to do?

Completely fine. Just keep in mind when going from AACOMAS to AMCAS it cuts your character count down to 700 for your activities (assuming your character count is greater than 700 on AACOMAS). So if you have 750 on AACOMAS you'd lose the last 50 characters on AMCAS.

Hi. New to this, so apologies in advance!

I attended a Canadian university for my undergrad, which seems to be causing a slight issue with semester hour conversions; basically, AACOMAS isn't including lab hours. Therefore, all my semester courses are an hour short, etc. I've contacted AACOMAS and they said there's nothing they can do about it.
Is anyone else having this problem/is this really a problem? Maybe this is something the American system is aware of when it comes to those up north? ;)

Completely fine. Just keep in mind when going from AACOMAS to AMCAS it cuts your character count down to 700 for your activities (assuming your character count is greater than 700 on AACOMAS). So if you have 750 on AACOMAS you'd lose the last 50 characters on AMCAS.

Okay thanks!

Quick Question, where do I take notes while reading passages and solve problems and such things. Is there a small erase board kind of thing or scratch paper?

I called up it won't be saved :(. I just feel like crying now

Members don't see this ad :)
How has everyone been entering publications or poster presentations into AACOMAS? Do you just formally cite them or do you also explain your role in the publication/poster? Or something else perhaps?

Also, did you make separate entries or group them if the publication or posters were in area's of similar research? I have over 6 publications and 10 posters, some that I am the primary author on and others the coauthor, I am worried if I make separate entries for them all I might terribly upset a reviewer.

Thank you in advance for any help or opinions on this matter.

I have asked this question in a different forum, but I am trying to get some info here as well:

I am trying to get some insight here and I hope someone can help me

10 years ago I completed 2 years in a medical school in my home country and was in my third when the school was closed. Accrediatation was denied, so no record of transcripts anywhere.
When AACOMAS ask about previous matriculation into a medical school what do I put there?

Is it the type of things that AACOMAS would answer to if I call them?

Thank you

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can see my verified GPA?

I have asked this question in a different forum, but I am trying to get some info here as well:

I am trying to get some insight here and I hope someone can help me

10 years ago I completed 2 years in a medical school in my home country and was in my third when the school was closed. Accrediatation was denied, so no record of transcripts anywhere.
When AACOMAS ask about previous matriculation into a medical school what do I put there?

Is it the type of things that AACOMAS would answer to if I call them?

Thank you

I would think they'd be able to help with that. Definitely give them a call.

Quick Question, where do I take notes while reading passages and solve problems and such things. Is there a small erase board kind of thing or scratch paper?

If you're talking about the MCAT, it depends on the test center. Mine had a packet of scratch paper but I've heard of people having a dry erase board. And btw there's a separate MCAT discussion thread on SDN that's very helpful.

Hope i'm doing this right..

I took a clep test at my school for physics, passed, received credit, but still took the class.

Do I need to put this in as a repeat?

It says on the application. "an applicant who makes the Dean's List each term should enter this only once, and note in the explanation that this occurred multiple times." But where is the "explanation" area?

It says on the application. "an applicant who makes the Dean's List each term should enter this only once, and note in the explanation that this occurred multiple times." But where is the "explanation" area?

You have to just write "Dean's List - 3 times" or however many times/semesters in the title. There is no explanation area. I wish they would update that.

"Awards, such as Dean’s List should be entered only once
in this section. For example, an applicant who makes
the Dean’s List each term should enter this only once, AND
ALSO note in the extracurricular section that this occurred
multiple times. This will give you the opportunity to enter
a date span and an explanation that you received this
award numerous times."

http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf

So I know it says it the instructions how to mention repeated awards like deans list but I am still rather confused. Can someone plz explain how to do it?

So I know it says it the instructions how to mention repeated awards like deans list but I am still rather confused. Can someone plz explain how to do it?

The instructions actually refer to a description box that doesn't exist. You have to just write "Dean's List - 3 times" or however many times/semesters in the title. There isn't any other place to write it.

I just finished my 3rd year on the quarter system. Should i list my whole fourth year's planned classes for AACOMAS? (thats around 12 classes), or just write down my fall schedule as in progress/planned?

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered.

I have taken all my classes at the same university, but to meet DMU and KCUMB requirements I want to take UNE's online medical biochem class this fall. Do I just add UNE as another school and indicate that I'm going to take a class there in the future? And if so, when would I send or update my transcript from that school onto my app? I guess I'm just unsure of how to approach this situation.

I just finished my 3rd year on the quarter system. Should i list my whole fourth year's planned classes for AACOMAS? (thats around 12 classes), or just write down my fall schedule as in progress/planned?

Depends on what you want them to see. I think it would be advantageous if you let them know you plan to finish a prerequ, a recommended course, or a unique class in the future.

For the activity/EC descriptions, how detailed should we be? Should we just describe it and then save personal thoughts for secondaries?

Question:

Do we have to resend transcripts from our previous undergraduate institutions to aacomas every new application cycle? :confused:

I tried searching but did not find an exact answer, since I have to report my score to aacomas application. Do I have to report all of them or just the ones I would like to?

I was verified earlier this month and already submitted several secondaries.

1. If I have just finished DO shadowing, should I edit AACOMAS to reflect the end date?
2. I have since attended an OMM clinic and did OMM shadowing at a different facility. The experience was all of 5 hours. Should I create a separate section for it in AACOMAS, file it under a previous DO shadowing section, or update schools in another way?

Thanks!

Hey everyone. Soooo.....

I was looking over my AACOMAS app, which has been verified but not released.

I realized that I had a repeated course for which the repeat I misclassified as R-x instead of L-x. So I have two instances of R-x but no "last repeat."

Is this is likely to be an easy fix by aacomos via email? Has anybody else pulled a bone-head move like this?

Hey everyone. Soooo.....

I was looking over my AACOMAS app, which has been verified but not released.

I realized that I had a repeated course for which the repeat I misclassified as R-x instead of L-x. So I have two instances of R-x but no "last repeat."

Is this is likely to be an easy fix by aacomos via email? Has anybody else pulled a bone-head move like this?

Just FYI, I shot them a quick message, and they fixed it for me in about 10 minutes!

Hi, on the AACOMAS instruction manual it said that for current/planned courses that it will automatically exempt transcript requirements. I called AACOMAS to verify if my application is in line to be verified and at first the lady said that I needed to send in a proof of enrollment for my current class even if I don't need a transcript for it. But then she changed her mind and said that since all my boxes were checked that means I should be ready to be verified. So she said I didn't have to send anything in. I was wondering was anyone in my situation and if they had to send in a proof of enrollment for their current courses. I feel like the lady was not too confident in her answer so I'm worried.

Thanks in advance.

I asked this question in a message on aacomas and received a response that did not clarify anything.

I took 1st semester physics at a community college (quarter system) that followed a 1.5 quarter time frame to complete the course. The way it was broken down is as follows: PHYS 110A & PHYS 110B=quarter 1 and then PHYS 110C=1st half of quarter 2 and this completes 1 semester of physics (including lab) which results in 7.5 quarter hours and approximately 5 credit hours. The end result was a grade of "D" in each one of those units

I then re-took this course but at a local university where the lecture and lab were broken up into a lecture and a lab component. This was labeled as PHYS 1110 (lecture) for 4 credits which I received a "B-" in and PHYS 1154 (lab) for 1 credit which I received a "B".

In a similar scenario, I took 2nd semester physics at the same community college that followed the same course breakdown as above and received the following grades: PHYS 111A grade of "C" but then I withdrew from PHYS 111B & PHYS111C.

I then re-took this second semester physics course at the same local university stated above which is labeled as PHYS 1120 (lecture) for 4 credits which I received an "A-" in and PHYS 1164 (lab) for 1 credit which I received a "B".

Is there anybody out there who can help clarify how to list these courses as re-takes in AACOMAS? Should PHYS110A, B, & C be listed as R01 and then PHYS 1110 & PHYS 11154 as L01?

Thank you and sorry for the long post!

does aacomas send me an email when my new transcripts post (my summer grades just came in, I've been verified forever)?

Does anyone else get really snotty answers when calling AACOMAS?
I called to check on the status of a transcript (as I had sent 2 transcripts from the clearinghouse thing on the same day but only 1 is shown up as logged) and the guy told me he couldn't do anything to help me figure out what was going on. He just said well it could show up soon or it could never show up but I can't help you. WTF dude, last year they lost a transcript from me for weeks, but I called them and they found it and processed it while I was on the phone. GRRRRR

Yep
There's one dude that's very unprofessional.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

How long does it take for it to be verified and then released?

Last edited:
I just realized that it would be a better idea to apply to some DO as well as MDs. I had already sent in a transcript before my last semester grades came out (got 4 As in all science classes).

Considering its a bit late in the cycle, do you guys think I should send in my AACOMAS app with the old transcript or wait about a week longer to the get new and updated one in?

3.3 sGPA 3.47cGPA (old transcript)

3.4 sGPA 3.55cGPA (updated transcript)

32MCAT (11 10 11)

I would appreciate any advice!

Hey I was wondering, what do I put for my address if my current address is overseas? I am currently working in China and I have no idea what to put for the zip code or county.

Can you resubmit transcripts? I'm really worried about an incomplete on my transcript... Hated the idea of it in the first place but the teacher issued incompletes to the majority of of my class. It's kind of like a capstone with a field work component.. and the class literally required so much work that she pushed back our schedules to allow herself time to grade everything and the later field dates all got "I"'s... After waiting a month for my grade, I just turned the transcript into aacomas with the "I". I feel like it looks terrible, and was wondering if I could resubmit transcripts in.. hopefully 3 weeks.. got both my second and third B this past semester and don't need the "I" on top of it.

How long does it take for it to be verified and then released?

At this point, probably six weeks.

Can you resubmit transcripts? I'm really worried about an incomplete on my transcript... Hated the idea of it in the first place but the teacher issued incompletes to the majority of of my class. It's kind of like a capstone with a field work component.. and the class literally required so much work that she pushed back our schedules to allow herself time to grade everything and the later field dates all got "I"'s... After waiting a month for my grade, I just turned the transcript into aacomas with the "I". I feel like it looks terrible, and was wondering if I could resubmit transcripts in.. hopefully 3 weeks.. got both my second and third B this past semester and don't need the "I" on top of it.

If not, I wouldn't sweat it. One "I" won't break your application, and frankly neither will a couple of Bs. I mean, unless you're already sitting close to 3.0.

Hey for anyone who added updated transcripts how long did it take for you to see an updated gpa after the transcripts were marked as recieved?

Does anyone else get really snotty answers when calling AACOMAS?
I called to check on the status of a transcript (as I had sent 2 transcripts from the clearinghouse thing on the same day but only 1 is shown up as logged) and the guy told me he couldn't do anything to help me figure out what was going on. He just said well it could show up soon or it could never show up but I can't help you. WTF dude, last year they lost a transcript from me for weeks, but I called them and they found it and processed it while I was on the phone. GRRRRR

I get tons of snotty answers from the via phone and email. They seem to think I should know the application manual front to back.

At this point, probably six weeks.

If not, I wouldn't sweat it. One "I" won't break your application, and frankly neither will a couple of Bs. I mean, unless you're already sitting close to 3.0.

Thanks, guess I'm just a little over stressed about it. Hoping the emphasis on most recent semester isn't too great.

Hi all. I just got my primary verified yesterday but when I took a look at my grades, my future/planned courses disappear. Are future courses only suppose to show up on the release report for each individual schools or did AACOMAS deleted them? I'm starting PCOM's postbac this Fall and was just curious thanks.